[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Campaign prologues

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Zembiec_coffin_and_pallbearers.jpg (1MB, 2336x3504px) Image search: [Google]
Zembiec_coffin_and_pallbearers.jpg
1MB, 2336x3504px
So we all know "You meet in a bar" is the most cliche way to start a roleplaying campaign. But it's an easy way to kick things off, so it continues to be used.

What are some better ways to start a campaign and have the player characters meet? I think it would be great to start a campaign with the PCs attending a funeral, maybe even with one or more as pallbearers. Then, at the wake, an NPC gives the adventure hook. A wedding could be another good mutual social obligation to bring disparate people together, but I like the funeral idea better.
>>
File: 3251.png (68KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
3251.png
68KB, 630x420px
>>53890015
You all meet at job interview / casting for extras / welfare queue.
>>
>>53890015
I started a M:tAW campaign with all the PCs meeting eachother at their mentors funeral once. Gave a good foundation for it, shame the game died super quick.
>>
>>53890015
The funeral thing would actually be a good one. I'm surprised I've never thought of it before myself.
>>
>>53890015
I prefer to skip the part where the PCs meet and start with the party already established, possibly in medias res.
>>
Jail. They get crumpled in one cell after city riot got... Cleaned up.
>>
>>53890015

> "You all meet outside of a cheap brothel, a gang of drunken sailors notice you, roll for initiative."
>>
>>53890015
All lived in the same town growing up, suddenly your towns mayor decided he wanted to build a big bullshit on your property and dig for oil, so now the townsfolk are banding together and you and the bois are the razor sharp tip of the spear
(too bad nobody competent is throwing it)

there, your whole first arc summed up in the prologue
>>
>>53890015
I once had a campaign start in the aftermath of an adventurer barfight, the PCs had owned that tavern and decided to go adventuring to earn the money to rebuild it
>>
>>53893968
to expand, the party could have weird social connections with everyone in town, allowing a constant source of fudge for why your PCs have the equipment for their crazy schemes.

Say the de-facto leader of the party is a strong ass martial whos like the cock of the walk pugilist or something, always bullying his way into conversations and shit, getting the group into trouble, but that's what you're here for anyway because the campaign is just you all heading straight for the capital, regardless of the opposition
>>
>you're shipwrecked , survive

>You're ambushed by the bbega henchmen

>You're all prisoners

>You've all been invited to a nobles party , cue dramatic event during part

>You are a group of investigators at a murder scene
>>
I've done prison breaks/slave revolts/etc. before, and while they're pretty effective in getting everyone to work together with strong motivations initially they don't do a lot for keeping them together once they're out on my experience. The infighting comes quick when everyone'a running from the authorities.
>>
>>53890015
>you 3 are all autistic, you meet in the asylum. But the French Revolution has just started, and a pirate ship's cannon ball wrecks a nearby wall, leaving a gap for all of you to escape. As you run through the hole you realize the city is under siege by a giant red-scaled wyvern. Roll for initiative as a pack of goblins ambush you from behind.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.