[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/STG/ - Star Trek General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 53

File: Corbomite maneuver.jpg (18KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Corbomite maneuver.jpg
18KB, 320x240px
WHERE'S THE NEW THREAD Edition

Previous thread>>53851957

A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and its various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include Star Trek Adventures - the new rpg being produced by Modiphius - and WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures game, as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and Star Trek in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures, Modiphius’ 2d20 RPG
-Official Modiphius Page
>http://www.modiphius.com/star-trek.html
Playtest Materials (via Biff Tannen)
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/36m6c22co6y5m/Modiphius%20Star%20Trek%20Adventures
Reverse Engineered Character Creation.
>https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g2ofDX0-7tgHojjk7sKcp7uVFSK3M52eVP45gKNJhgY/edit?usp=sharing

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>http://pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>http://pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing Miniatures Game
-Official WizKids Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>http://wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>http://pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>http://www.startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>http://pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP
>>
>>53887294
Daily reminder that the UFP shouldn't have given up territory after the end of the Cardassian War.

Also Thomas W. Riker was a lot more principled and hard working that William T. Riker despite that by W.T. Riker's own admission he considers his very existence an insult.
>>
>>53887362
>Daily reminder that the UFP shouldn't have given up territory after the end of the Cardassian War.

They didn't. That area of space remained contested for years afterwards.

The UFP gave up territory only after the Battle of Wolf 359, when the Borg reared their ugly heads as being a far greater threat. The UFP needed to resolve its territorial issues NOW so that it could focus on what had just become the Main Enemy.
>>
>>53887430
Pretty much this. The Cardassians were always a threat. Not on the same scale as the Romulans or Klingons, but we know that they were eminently willing to fight a long, protracted war to the detriment of their own people. Starfleet likely could have made a show of force, engaged in a limited border war and eventually forced the Cardassians to accept harsher terms, but that would have taken time and resources. Both things that Starfleet didn't have to spare in the wake of the borg threat.

I suspect that the UFP would have stood their ground if not for Wolf 359.
>>
>>53887294
Also thanks for making a new thread. Last one dropped like a corpse so i had intended to make one this morning but I'm currently without access to my trek folder.
>>
>>53887525
>>53887430
Wolf 359 happened a lot later than the Cardassian War.

Miles was a CW veteran before he got posted on the Enterprise.
>>
>>53888145
I know yeah, we're talking about the ceding of the border colonies, which happened a couple years after Wolf 359, owing to increased border tensions with the Cardassians.
>>
>>53887294
>any borg casualty after this is hugh could be prevented
>but muh feelz crusher has to intervene
Recently started watching TNG again and god do i hate crusher.
Polasky was a bitch but at least she was inderstandable, crusher is all gut feeling and moralizing.
>>
File: weapons_test_by_eaglesg-dazret2.jpg (718KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
weapons_test_by_eaglesg-dazret2.jpg
718KB, 1280x720px
>>53888368
Crusher's return also fucked with the gradual fixing of Wesley that was going on through season 2, where he was going from annoying kid who fixes everything into young officer who is capable but can't deal with everything due to lack of experience.

Get rid of Crusher and Wesley could maybe have escaped the season 1 bullshit. Maybe. Look, even Nelix got some good spots at times and Wesley was way less of an annoying cunt than him if you remove season 1 of TNG.
>>
>>53888368
It's arrogance of supreme scale on the part of the Enterprise crew if they thought the optical illusion would work.

The Borg do not often innovate, if they did then already by TNG era they would be singularity god/s. So everything they have is taken from those they absorb.

Borg tech by Hugh was holy shit better than UFP tech.

Therefore at least some of the thousands of species that they ate were way more sophisticated and smarter than anything in the UFP.

Out of all of those thousands do they honestly not think that at least one would have come up with trick?

Which is still absolutely no reason not to try it.
>>
>>53888592
So, once i finish TNG, i will probably go over the Borg&Species VOY episodes, but i'm wondering if there is a /tg/ approved episode list somewhere out there?
Or would you recommend skipping Voyager entirely?
I haven't watched any of these shows for a decade now
>>
>>53888750
I'm in your same boat. But I am doing voyager first as a whole and mostly bc it's the only one I remember from childhood. I would not recommend binging it however. The weekly breaks the show had when it aired really assists the plot. By watching them back to back it is like a marathon of disasters that the crew seems to recover from magically
>>
>>53888750
Voyager is about a third good, a third meh, and a third trash. The ratio gets better when they run into 34 of DD, but it's still a very episode-to-episode show quality-wise.
>>
>>53888739
That always bugged me. The borg can adapt to energy weapons frequencies, even after a drone supposedly can't communicate said frequency. Why wouldn't they be able to solve some stupid brain teaser that some relative primitives, with a lot less computational power, can just cook up on a whim? And it's not like the Borg would just focus on it with everything until they either solved it, or forever - the Borg are a hivemind of humanoids, not simple androids. It's after the fact, of course, but we know the Borg are more than willing to isolate, even sacrifice, entire cubes for far less. And then of course there's the fact that the Borg adapted to some future anti-Borg mental weapon in less than ten minutes, which Future Janeway had a lot more time and tech to develop.
>>
>>53888750
Honestly I can't recommend anything more than a handful of Voyager episodes and nearly all of them are season 4 and 5. Season 3 is garbage, season 1 & 2 are very rough but with a couple of ok things, and 6-7 is hot trash with some nice character bits here and there as the only bright spots, culminating in a turd of a finale.
Of note, season 6 and 7 may make you hate the Doctor, who is otherwise a bright spot, because he gets Flanderised in a big way.

Anyway my personal recommendations for episodes I'd possibly not change the channel on if they came up:
Season 1: Eye of the Needle, Prime Factors,
Season 2: Projections, Prototype, Meld, Death Wish,
Season 3: Fair Trade (kinda), Distant Origin, Scorpion Part 1
Season 4: Probably ok with most of this but definitely skip Unforgettable and the two part The Killing Game.
Season 5: Mostly ok, but seriously skip all of these; The Disease, Course: Oblivion, The Fight, 11:59 and Warhead.
Season 6: 'Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy', The Voyager Conspiracy, Live Fast and Prosper
Season 7: Lineage, Prophecy, The Void

The Void in particular I think is the point near the end that frustrates a lot of people because the writers finally actually dabbled with a premise that's the kind of thing that we really wanted to see throughout. And it's also what I'd say is one of the few genuinely good episodes of the show that could stand up there with the better ones of TOS, TNG or DS9 in being what Star Trek should be.
>>
File: Terran Empire.jpg (199KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Terran Empire.jpg
199KB, 1600x1200px
Meanwhile in the Terran empire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1CQ7Vwz8Eo
>>
>>53888750
I know there was one of those viewing guides for it. But it stops after Threshold.
>>
>>53888368
Every time I go through season 2 it's a painful reminder that we could have had Polasky for six full seasons. Too bad she hated working there.
>>
>>53890239
I think it's best to ignore that plot point actually. Whether you chock it up to the Enterprise crew misinterpreting how the Borg worked with so little to go on, the possibility that it would cripple the cube but the collective would cut them off like a dead tentacle, or the reality that The Borg were just not as fleshed out in their first few appearances and were not quite what they became then is up to you.

A lot of older episodes and lore building makes earlier plot points seem silly or wrong, and you can accept the writing having blind spots, or headcannon it away.
Why are there 50-100 year old ships operating in TNG and DS9? It MUST be because they built ships to last, and not because models are expensive and they didn't want to use the Connie.
>>
>>53891535
I think Polaski didn't really work out as a character because they tried to make her McCoy to Data's Spock, when Data wasn't capable of the repartee necessary at that point in the series. She came off as a bitch screaming that he was a ROBOT AND ROBOTS ARE DUMB. I'd have loved to see her around for the Lal episode and getting her reaction.
>>
File: diana-muldaur-star-trek.png (2MB, 1444x1080px) Image search: [Google]
diana-muldaur-star-trek.png
2MB, 1444x1080px
>>53891775
Thing is that rapidly toned down. Pulaski as a character actually grew significantly in her short time on the show. By the end of the season they'd changed from that to her pushing Data to do more/be better.

Plus she had a great relationship with Picard. And Worf too, which was nice.
>>
>>53891775
Pualski only had one season of characterization though. If you judged everyone else entirely by how they were in season 1 then the entire crew would've made Enterprise's look interesting. It wasn't until later seasons that everyone (more or less) developed into interesting and likeable characters, and Pulaski probably would've done the same.
>>
>>53891917
>Thing is that rapidly toned down.
I'm aware, but to the viewers, the change wasn't happening fast enough, and she was insulting a fan favorite. Diana Muldaur was a better actress, if not as easy on the eyes as early 90s Gates McFadden.

>>53891929
I articulated my thought wrong and apologize. When I said "I'd have loved to see her around for the Lal episode and getting her reaction." I was hoping for Data to grow and her to be toned down some, so that she'd be really supportive in the episode. Frankly, I think she probably would have browbeaten that admiral more than Picard would have by that point in the series.
>>
>>53891775
Was gonna post >>53891917.
Yeah she's a bitch to him in episode 1, but that was entirely the point. Once she gets used to Data, she ends up challenging his capabilities more than insulting him. And I don't think she was his Spock so much as someone as headstrong as Picard much more abrasive, forcing him into uncomfortable situations since they couldn't quite pull those from Data.

In one season she meshed so well with basically the two main characters, with an inclining that she'd be able to make Worf worth a damn, and have someone other than Jadzia interact with Klingons. She played the same hyper-humanist doctor roll as Crusher or Basheer, nutlike Basheer that isn't her entire character, and seeing what they did with her over multiple seasons would have been cool.
>>
>>53888750
There were a few VOY episodes I liked. The most underrated one is The Chute, also known as Harry & Tom's Totally Awesome Vacation. Year of Hell was pretty good, if only because of the dad from Than 70's Show hamming it up. The ones with Crewman Suder (Meld and Back to Basics) were also good. The main problem with Voyager was that its writers hated each other and never communicated, which led not only to self-contradictory characters but also to the fact that no good idea ever survived more than, like, two episodes.
>>
File: 15007419329_1ec80b0718_o.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
15007419329_1ec80b0718_o.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
New trekkie here. Is there a good place to get a bunch of really high resolution msd? Pic related is like the only good res one I could find
>>
>>53890350
>recommending the Voth
>recommending Fair Trade over Worst Case Scenario
>recommending Seven Gets Redpilled
>ignoring Blink Of An Eye
>ignoring Equinox
>ignoring Timeless
>ignoring (wasted gem) Year of Hell
>ignoring My Breathing Is Only A Simulation
Jesus christ, your taste is so shit. Granted, it had far fewer gems than TNG or DS9 and Berman hamstrung it, but the "VOY has nothing worthy of being Star Trek" meme needs to fucking die. And fuck you, Course: Oblivion was kino.
>>
>>53893131
Equinox was not as good as it should have been because it accidentally highlights Janeway's massive hypocrisy.
>>
>>53891775
Pulaski was right, though. She never hurt Data's feelings because he had none. Being nice to Data is purely a matter of personal habit, because you can insult him to his face and he really doesn't mind.
>>
>>53893440
True, but it's a social nicety thing. Also, Data was Second Officer on board the ship, so she should have been polite to him as a superior officer.
>>
>>53893097
>not recommending the Voth
"DO" is VOY kino. The less the main crew is on the screen, the better the ep is, every time. That's why "Course: Oblivion" is so good, desu.
>>
>>53893131
Calm your anus easily flustered one, nearly all of that stuff is covered by the general recommendation of season 4 and 5.

Also the voyager conspiracy is at least 50% a good episode, which made it notable for that season. And Fair Trade isn't recommended 'over' anything else, I just like seeing Nelix suffer.
>>
>>53893487
Eh that episode was dead to me the moment it turned out it wasn't the actual crew. And then lost me even more because I remembered what actually happened in the episode it was following on from so even less of it made any fucking sense at all.
And it was a Harry Kim centred episode to boot.
>>
>>53893477
Spock was superior in rank to McCoy. It's really hard to put your finger on why the one rivalry was seen as cool and the other was seen as mean. Maybe because Data never reciprocated and threw underhanded insults back at Pulaski like Spock did at McCoy. Maybe because Data is usually portrayed as a socially inept child incapable of having relationships with subtext, while Spock is a cool older guy who can take a little ribbing.
>>
>>53890350
>>53891059
>>53891535
>>53892530
>>53893131
>>53893410
Thanks a lot you guys
>>
>>53893440
This; the only time you really see Data seem to emote is the episode where he gets his own ship and his first officer is being a shit. Even then that was probably a calculated reaction to get the guy to follow his fucking orders.
>>
>>53894530
And that time Q made him laugh for like ten seconds. And that time he installed his emotion chip and Guinan gave him that glass of green.
>>
>>53893410
Shame, too. I get the feeling that the Equinox was the more interesting ship anyway.
>>
>>53893131
>My Breathing Is Only A Simulation
Objectively best Voyager episode, no matter how much you autistically shit on the Prometheus
>>
>>53893124
>>53893124
I don't know of any collections. Your best bet is to just google the class you want. If it ain't in the first few results then a high res version probably doesn't exist.
>>
>>53897046
Oh yeah the episode is great. It's just that the Prometheus itself doesn't seem like a significant leap forward in Starfleet tech.
>>
Just played my first game of Star Fleet Battle. It was the traditional Federation vs Klingon cruiser fight, with me playing as the federation.

On the first turn my photon torps missed, but I was able to take down his front left shield. He moved right in front of me and unleashed all his weapons, knocking my shields down and taking out a decent amount of my hull, including half my bridges.

This wouldn't have been a problem, if it hadn't been for the fact that the very next turn he circled around and struck my side, taking out the remaining bridges.

This basically crippled me for the rest of the game, as not only did it mean that I could only fire once a turn and my ships turning was severely worsened, I could no longer perform emergency turns. (aka not moving but instead turning in any direction I want)

That meant I could not turn around and fire my now recharged photons and phasers, and he could fire again at the area with no shields, which destroyed all my photons and most of my warp engines.

The thing is, its basically a one-in-a-thousand chance that he could take out all my bridges, with it being so rare that the guy I was playing against, who as been playing for 10+ years, didn't even know what the rules were for it.

tldr; My Fed cruiser got its bridge blown up my Klingon barrage, could not escape following attacks.
>>
File: superior_by_arkbishop-dagd689.jpg (566KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
superior_by_arkbishop-dagd689.jpg
566KB, 800x1200px
>>
>>53893410
>>53896462
Would you watch a Star Trek: Equinox spinoff?
>>
>>53893124
God, the Intrepid would have been so much cleaner if the aeroshuttle was docked to the bottom of the fantail and accessed via the shuttlebay; If only the writers had REMEMBERED THING DESIGNED FOR THE JOB INSTEAD OF GIVING US THE SHITTY, INCONSISTENT RUNABOUT KNOCKOFF THAT IS THE DELTA FUCKER
>>
>>53899171
That seems incredibly normal for SFB. When playing single ship vs ship, whoever hits with the most, first, wins. There's no comebacks.

Doesn't really matter that it was the bridges, if it wasn't them it was going to be other important things, like power and weapons, and the result would be the same.
>>
>>53894530
>Even then that was probably a calculated reaction to get the guy to follow his fucking orders

I'd like to have seen more of Data faking emotions with people who didn't know him well enough.
>>
>>53900534
They had originally intended to use the aeroshuttle. Apparently UPN had some rule about not sharing sets though. So it only happened very rarely.
>>
>>53899982
I think I would. The characters seem interesting enough. And of course you could end the show with a bittersweet encounter with Voyager.
>>
>>53900856
How would SFB compare to something like Battlefleet Gothic?
>>
>>53900534
Isn't it supposed to be like a captain's yacht?
>>
File: Star-Trek-Art-Cover.png (6MB, 1404x1972px) Image search: [Google]
Star-Trek-Art-Cover.png
6MB, 1404x1972px
Anyone else hype for the new Modiphius RPG? The PDF is supposed to be out in a week or two.

The art and layout seems nice, and the alpha rules were really solid. I'm interested.

And yeah, I'm kind of shilling. We haven't had an official Trek RPG for ages.
>>
>>53907129
I'm mostly miffed that they're releasing ground crew, and that the Feds aren't getting generics while the Rommies and Klinks are ALL generics.
>>
>>53887294
What ever happened with those aliens?
>>
>>53907289
Even if the Borg Cube set were more reasonably priced, I still wouldn't buy it because of the Fed minis. They're absolutely useless in play (since everyone makes their own character and not play Picard or whatever), and just jack up the box price.

A damn weird decision to include them.
>>
>>53907345
Trading partners with the regular Federation, but they never appear on screen again.

>>53907352
The TNG crew is odd too. Half of the crew are in the First Contact jumpsuit, while the other half are in one of TNG series uniforms. Meanwhile, I want monster maroon generics.
>>
>>53905551
Completely different beasts.

Battlefleet Gothic is about large clashes between over a dozen vessels ranging from weak single-hitpoint escort vessels up to gigantic battleships, with a very abstract rules set that groups most weaponry into simple 'firepower'. There's minimal tracking going on when it comes to the status of things, with some handy use of counters and dice.

Star Fleet Battles is a very detailed skirmish game where you have to track a lot of things, have a lot of very specific detail in all things from shield facings to damage effects to movement based on how much power is allocated to the engines. Battle size is fewer than a half dozen ships typically.

The star fleet game game that actually compares to BFG would be A Call To Arms: Star Fleet Battles, as that works in much the same battle size, with again a lot of abstracted detailing rather than specific detailing.
>>
>>53907129
I really don't like the 2d20 system, based on the experience I've had with the Conan RPG. And the very fact that Star Trek and Conan run on the same system tells you that something's wrong.
>>
>>53907735
Now I kind of want to play Trek as Conan the Captain.
>>
>>53907735
What would you say it's problems are?
>>
File: IMG_2167.jpg (213KB, 1512x864px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2167.jpg
213KB, 1512x864px
>>
File: Ufp-emblem.jpg (27KB, 350x270px) Image search: [Google]
Ufp-emblem.jpg
27KB, 350x270px
Alright, here's a question for you guys:

What if the primary species of the Federation, ie. the one that spread out most throughout the stars, filled the majority of Starfleet, established their home planet as the capital of the Federation, et cetera, was not humanity?

Now I'm sure the people itt would fiercely contend that a human-led Fed is the best possible outcome for all involved, but let's set that aside for now and consider what would happen if primacy were given to one of the other three founding species. This plays out as either:

A Vulcan-led Federation
An Andorian-led Federation
Or a Tellarite-led Federation

How would the character of the polity and society change? How would the people change, if at all? What role would humans and other species play? How would they have reacted to various threats, like war with the Dominion or the Borg incursions? For simplicity's sake, assume we've fast-forwarded to the TNG/DS9 era, although do not be afraid to include some history where you see fit. And at least try to resist the urge to post fucking meme answers...
>>
>>53907783
I dunno, Conan meets the Enterprise wouldn't be a bad TOS episode. He'd be all jerky to them about civilization, kiss Uhura, then somehow prove he was a real hero by sword fighting Klingons or something.
>>
>>53890239
When I think of the Borg, I think of what a shitty, cludgy mess their code must be. Our company is only a few dozen programmers strong and adding their "technological distinctiveness" together is an absolute mess. If the Borg don't have some intelligent process to extract the best code and processes from each species, or intelligent caretakers to prune useless and bad code, the Borg codebase will be an exceedingly hostile legacy codebase. They'll eventually assimilate species in the hopes that the species has an efficient regeneration or ship navigation algorithm, because theirs broke 150 years ago when the navigation library was overwritten by an identically named holonovel sucked up during assimilation of a minor species. They'll never be at peak effectiveness, always kludging together band aids out of piles of other band aids decades old.
>>
>>53911634
The original point I intended to make was that the Borg may be vulnerable to attacks on any of these extremely legacy systems they no longer understand how to maintain. Some optical rendering library, for example, may be vulnerable to the weird shape trick but all drones receive it in assimilation and too many things are implemented haphazardly on top of it to replace it.
>>
>>53910887
I'm not sure if you're assuming the foundation for creating the Federation was
fighting off the Romulans as shown on Enterprise but I'd guess it'd be:

Vulcans: Interested mostly in scientific inquiry that looks inward rather than
through the exploration of deep space. Humanity realizes the merits of staying
close to home systems and taking generations to spread outward towards the stars.
Things like the borg and dominion would probably still not have been an issue at
the end of the DS9 timeline. Something like Voyager wouldn't have happened as no
ship in the Vulcan led Federation would be messing around in the badlands chasing
Maquis that likely would never have come to be.

Andorians: This would probably mean a more aggressive starfleet who is willing to
stomp out threats early rather than play the diplomacy game. Empowered with the
resources and technical expertise that their partners bring, I feel like they'd
finish off the Federation/Klingon war by actually invading Klingon territory.
They'd pour way more resources into designing ships like the Defiant after being
attacked by the Borg and probably be way more distrusting of a power like the
Dominion. They thought Vulcans were shifty after all.

Tellarites: I know less about them, but they seem like negotiators more than the
Vulcans and Andorians. I feel like they'd make stronger ties with a race like the
Ferengi and look to be an economic power. They'd probably be more willing to concede
territory to the Dominion though border skirmishes would still lead to war.
>>
Why do the Discovery uniforms look so differently from Pike's and his crew? Aren't they only a couple years apart?
>>
>>53911940
I'm going with it being a sort of long-term mission jumpsuit. But probably they just decided that the pilot uniforms looked like garbage (Because they did).
>>
>>53911940
Continuity is for nerds.
>>
>>53910887
Well, Vulcans would make it very uncomfortable for the other species I think. Having Star Fleet be 50+% Vulcans instead of humans would make it difficult for the other species to integrate.

Dealing with anomalies and god-beings would be a crapshoot, given they'd outscience the other species, get fucked by the problems that require out-of-the-box thinking, and emotion tampering problems would likely drive them all to bloodshed. So, not great overall.

Their tactics would be less improvised, but quicker and more coordinated. A decloaking ship wouldn't be as effective against a battle ready Vulcan crew. And while they wouldn't be as innovative in combat, they'd perfect the innovations of other species. Get the right Command oriented Vulcan in the seat of a Galaxy or Excelsior (era dependent) and you'd rather be dealing with pissed off Klingons in combat.

Integrating into the Federation would feel weird I think. I'm sure everything would be as welcoming and expressive, but I can see new species feeling like they were joining an interstellar zoo for the Vulcans to lord over and analyze.

I don't see anything interesting coming from the Borg, or the Dominion actually. Most encounters with the Dominion went pretty much like usual, and we hear of all species (Vulcans included) entering the Gamma quadrant for research even when it's a no-fly zone. NonEnterprise Vulcans don't give a fuck about your boundaries when there's something they want to study.

One possible outcome would be less capable technology. We see tons of juryrigging and hotfixes improvising in Star Fleet ships, and while Vulcans had great tech early on, their more stringent policies may mean they hit TNG era behind where they should.
>>
>>53911989
>>53912017
If they don't show people in the old-style uniforms, I will show you nerd.
>>
>>53911796
>They'd pour way more resources into designing ships like the Defiant
I imagine Sisko's design crew for the Defiant being a few humans, a Vulcan, and a bunch of Andorians who didn't understand why the ship tearing itself apart was so much of a design problem as long as the ship unloaded all its torpedoes and escape pods first.
>>
>>53911940
Different universe.
>>
>>53911634
>>53911671

So the Borg run the Star Trek equivalent of Windows?

Maybe they just constantly assimilate new drones to replace the ones made useless by bugs.

>Tactical Sphere 4f56af of subdirectory 419i has been trying to assimilate a small asteroid for 58 years now
>After 50 years, the respective report ticket has been bumped up from priority 4 to 3
>>
>>53910887
Vulcans: The Federation is the UN
Andorians: The Federation is NATO
Tellarites: The Federation is your university honors debate team
>>
>>53912206
Are you fucking kidding? It's the same universe as the original show.
>>
>>53912412
Yeah they say that but it looks nothing like it in any way. So it might as well be a different one.

Nout wrong with alternate continuities anyway.
>>
>>53912532
There's nothing wrong with it, but it is completely insane and unreasonable to pretend that Discovery is something it's not and was never meant to be.
>>
>>53912565
What Discovery is and what it was meant to be are probably two different things.

It started as a Prime continuity prequel, but after Fuller quitting, rewrites and reshoots, and re-done designs and visual effects, who the hell knows what it is now.
>>
>>53910887
A Tellarite federation would be like a sprawling fantasy empire run by mountain dwarves. It just doesn't fit in with what we'd normally expect.

Anyway, Tellarites have a very mercantile bent, so they wouldn't get rid of money even in the practical post-scarcity of Trek. They would have more rivalry with the Ferengi than the Klingons. I think their wars with Romulus and Qo'nos would be more about getting them to open up economically than for any moralistic reason. Humans in this universe would act kind of like 19th century North Americans, always looking for an opportunity to better their lot and not being regulated too harshly by their government, but less refined and "advanced" than they were in their own Federation. They would also treat Andorians like modern Germans treat themselves, to the point where multiculturalist, pacified Andorians would start to develop.

Tellarite Fed would also probably fall to the Dominion, unless they are able to pressure most of the Alpha Quadrant including the spoonheads and Breen to join them, which is not out of the question considering what we know about Tellarite persuasion (read, browbeating) skills.
>>
>>53912025
Maybe Vulcan-fed ships have better base specs than Human-fed ones, but the spirit of innovation is much more stifled in favor of standardization. "It is clearly illogical for an engineer to so modify his ship's engines that another similarly trained engineer would not be able to make sense of it."

Maybe human-crewed ships could be famous for their various enhancements, but also random humiliating technical failures.
>>
>>53912920
This is making me want stuff I'll never have.
>Discovery has a subplot about integration of Vulcan Science Core and Andorian Imperial Fleet into Star Fleet
>second generation of this, with the still mostly segregated crews now dealing with Federation ships instead of their own
>follow a Han and Vulcan getting dumped on a mostly Andorian ship, trying to remind them to not replace every escape pod launder with a new torpedo tube
Enterprise should have covered the TOS species much better.
>>
>>53912670
>multiculturalist, pacified Andorians

Don't even joke like that.
>>
>>53912565
Well if someone is gonna ask for reasons as to why it doesn't look anything like the time period it's supposed to be the only two options are just make something up or just point out that CBS are chasing the look of the recent films with no fucking care for actual continuity.

Which is just blindingly fucking obvious so why even ask unless you want people to make shit up to try and explain it?
>>
File: IMG_2475.jpg (239KB, 1512x864px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2475.jpg
239KB, 1512x864px
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
I still think it'd look way better if the nacelle pylons were angular or at least a wide curve matching the actual ambassador class, the angle these things are at just irks me. A lot.
>>
>>
>>53913561
Torpedo tubes are cultural appropriation.

Check your antenna privilege.

Why yes, my wife and I are indeed hosting a Nausicaan refugee in our home. She seems to enjoy his company very much.
>>
Has there ever been an in-universe explanation for why 90% of sentient life is human size and shape with small changes? Like some sort of forerunner planet seeder or even "nature just be that way"?
>>
>>53923059
Yes.

>Like some sort of forerunner planet seeder

Exactly this.
>>
>>53923136
Another example of Star Trek can not into evolution episode.
>>
>>53910887
>>53910887
>Vulcan-led Federation.
Off the bat, I think the Federation would be much smaller. Not much larger than its core systems. Partially owing to the Vulcan's tendency to expand very gradually, as well as their slow reproductive cycle, but also owing to their lack of social graces. Humans have always disliked Vulcans. And they've always been allies. They're abrasive, aloof, arrogant. Relations with foreign power are likely strained due to this.

Technologically the Vulcan federation would be superior to the Human-led one. The Vulcans seem much more focussed on technology than anything else. This trait has likely been officiated by turning the Vulcan science academy into a Federation institution. Other species are encouraged to send their best and brightest there rather than to starfleet. Humans, as the earliest client race of the Vulcans are the most integrated into their societal structures. While some other races find it easy to integrate, such as the Denobulans and Rigellians, the Tellarites and Andorians remain somewhat hostile, preferring to operate their own independent military forces alongside Starfleet.

On an international level, the quadrant is starkly different. The smaller size of the Federation has allowed it to avoid many of the conflicts it otherwise would have been forced to fight. This has come at the price of most of the surrounding systems being annexed by the Romulans, Cardassians and Klingons(who have been forced to decentralise after the loss of Quo'nos). The Cardassians and Klingons are content to war with one another for the most part. The Federation's primary threat comes from the Romulans, who exist in a state of Perpetual war with the Federation because of their unyielding hatred for the Vulcans. The Federation can hold their own in border conflicts. But the Romulans have had some success in supporting Andorian and Tellarite nationalists to ferment rebellion. The probability of a widespread secessionist wave is rising.
>>
>>53924218
>Andorian-led Federation
The Andorians would create a much more militarised Federation. I’m not just talking about Starfleet, I’m talking about the entirety of the Federation. Limited service within the Federation Defence Forces is a requirement to accessing higher education or pursuing certain careers, particularly political ones. Post-scarcity is reserved for loyal citizens.

The Andorians are actively duplicitous in their dealings with other species. Most races are coerced into joining the Federation in some manner. The most popular strategy employed by the Andorians is to ferment civil unrest on a prospective member world and then step in to “restore order”. The benefits of cooperation are made clear to the natives and most generally fall in line. In this way, the Andorian Federation is able to use native populations to police their own dissenters.

Humans were one of the first races to fully embrace the philosophy of this Federation, seeing as there was already a large body of people on earth looking to militarise Starfleet. The Tellarites required more aggressive encouragement and the Vulcans did their usual act of partial isolation.

The Federation has been at war with nearly every neighbouring power at some point or another. These wars are often costly but effective. The Romulans have been held back, the Klingon Empire entirely absorbed after the destruction of Quo’nos, and the Cardassians forced back into their territory. Threats like the Borg and Dominion are dealt with by throwing bodies at the problem. The Andorian Starfleet is extremely large and can amass simply ridiculous amounts of firepower at a given foe.

The primary issue now, however, is the increasing frequent rebellions and protests against the Andorian state. 2 centuries of nearly uninterrupted warfare have drained public morale and created an extremely Polarised Political scene. The first signs of widespread rebellion will likely see a massed invasion by outside Empires.
>>
>>53924226
>Tellarite-led Federation
Quite frankly I don’t think it would last. The Tellarites are almost universally disliked by the other major fed-founders. They are technologically weaker than the Vulcans and Andorians. Their society is stagnant and their particular brand of diplomacy is more likely to piss off their enemies than avert wars. In short, they have nothing going for them as a dominant race.

I give them a century or so before the Klingons or Romulans invade and fuck everybody’s shit in for all time. Any colonists that escape the invasion would get to enjoy being the Bajorans of this wretched timeline.
>>
how is discovery shaping up to be
>>
>>53924640
Like a dirty whore.
>>
>>53924640
Probably going to be a disappointing, paint by focus-group, Hollywood schlock.

I live in diminishing hope that I'll be pleasantly surprised.
>>
File: startrekdiscovery-ship01.jpg (219KB, 827x620px) Image search: [Google]
startrekdiscovery-ship01.jpg
219KB, 827x620px
>>53924640
I think the method by which they choose the ship says it all more than anything.

Here's some concept art that was thrown out 40+ years ago for being ugly as sin and not meshing well with the aesthetics of anything in the series before. Lets go with that for no reason.
>>
>>53919326
Well it DOES look better than the Ambassador we got, but maybe two stooges thought that it looked too advanced, ignoring the fact that it should be a link between the Excelsior and Galaxy.
>>
>>53924844
And it's even more hilarious considering that USS Jiaying actually looks like something post-TNG
>>
>>53888592
I never hated Pulaski, but Crusher was a decent character who was hampered by incessant mom plots. As soon as Wesley left, Beverly grew immensely as a character because she suddenly wasn't defined by being the boy genius' mom.

The problem with Wesley was the attention he got. I recently went over TNG episodes with a friend, and I figured the only decent Wesley episodes were the ones where he doesn't get all the limelight. The Dauphin was TOS-type TNG, but by giving Wesley a female counterpart who isn't just there to be jailbait the episode actually seemed to have a point beyond "Wes fixes everything". The Game actually had a compelling central narrative that also didn't rely on Wesley being wisdom incarnate, despite the fact that his co-star was the definition of the typical Wesley jailbait girlfriend character.

In short, all they had to do was write him as an actual character. Same with Neelix, really.
>>
>>53925104
sorry neelix is only allowed to be incredibly annoying and possessive of kess
>>
>>53891775
Honestly, I always took Pulaski's treatment of Data as something that respects his nature. Data does not feel emotions. He's incapable of being insulted, and often doesn't even understand he's being insulted. So Pulaski just drops all pretense. In contrast, the rest is kind of weird for being so considerate towards a dude who has no use for that conceit.
>>
>>53925143
I wish they'd taken his negative traits more in stride. The moment they acknowledge Neelix might have some sort of reason to be a cock beyond having been born as one is the moment the character becomes kind of tolerable.

I can understand a guy running the mess hall like a concentration camp because it's the only thing he can contribute on a ship were even the ex-con can run scientific circles around him. I can not understand the same guy doing this because it's just his personality.
>>
>>53900534
A runabout!

I'll steal it!

NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!
>>
>>53894530
>Even then that was probably a calculated reaction to get the guy to follow his fucking orders.

Doesn't he basically straight up say that this is exactly what he's doing?

>>53902849
There's that episode where he starts dating a chick and uploads all sorts of behavioural subroutines that make him act like an annoying wanker, much to her chagrin.

>are we not having our first lover's quarrel?

And there's the episode with the Sheliak and the annoying settlers where the autistic girl bonds with him, and he gives her a kiss at the end. Purely for her sake.

I do have to commend the writers with how they treated Data's peculiar (lack of) emotional state. He's written so much better than you'd suspect from hearing his character description. Or, indeed, the points made about him during Measure of a Man.
>>
>>53925283
Measure of a Man is a good example that Data actually has feelings but he has problem expressing them properly. I mean with the holo of Tasha Yard, feelings towards another person and the medals showing that he feels pride of his accoplishments.
>>
>>53925406
Well, at least he never shot up Starfleet Academy, I guess.
>>
>>53925406
Which brings up a huge problem with Star Fleet.

They were willing to accept him as a person when he was in the academy, he earned medals, he was given an officers rank and then they just casually stripped it all away so that they could strap him to a table and take him apart because the state needed a slave race.

Just like when he made a daughter and an Admiral spontaneously generated in record time. Because the legal standing of artificial person did not extend beyond Data and it was like they were waiting for just this eventuality.

Then the Mk1 EMHs. With no one to stand up for them the UFP got the slaves it always wanted.
>>
>>53925692
The Federation does seem desperate for a slave race, and I guess it makes sense considering their moneyless economy and "do whatever makes you feel good" employment policy. You still need people to unclog toilets, wax floors or scrub the semen out of the public holodecks. People aren't going to do that unless they're getting something big out of it. Sure, you could use the criminal population but they seem to hang out in parks all day so they're probably protected under some kind of sentient rights policy. That leaves a slave race then. The population just needs an excuse so they don't feel bad about it at the end of the day.
>>
>>53925836
I think all the floors and toilets and such are self-cleaning. Or a computer somehow handles that (I don't know how, with forcefields and shit).

I don't think there is any need for shit jobs in the Federation utopia.
>>
>>53925962
Except there is. They force The Doctor's brothers to do them.
>>
Should we talk about how the AI of Federation vessels are shackled to basically be slaves to the whims of their crews, or no?
>>
>>53925692
It seems to hinge more on the Federation having trouble considering machine intelligences alive. Which is a prejudice shared by the vast majority of other species we see.
>>
>>53926180
Very few of them ever gain sentience. Holograms, at least some of them, are clearly sentient. And that's a shitshow in and of itself. Starfleet keep letting some neophyte researcher improve the interpersonal protocols of all of their tools until they can think for themselves.

Forget banning gene modification, the Federation should ban unlimited research into machine personality matrices.
>>
>>53926016
One shot of a bunch of re-purposed, undeveloped Mk1 EMHs in a dilithium mine =/= they're doing all the shit jobs.

>>53926248
This.
They've also somewhat of a bad history with 'living' machines to add to that.
>>
>>53926982
>Forget banning gene modification, the Federation should ban unlimited research into machine personality matrices.

They'd need to acknowledge it's even a problem before they do that. But at present they have those little droids, that seem more like cats or something, and they have Data, the only known Soong type android. Except for those other two. But the Feds never had to bother about Data, because he's a stagnant population. A species of one. And now they have, maybe, a few sufficiently advanced holograms, and we don't even know if they're really alive or just really good at faking being alive.

Then again, given that we've seen it multiple times that a starship computer can store a full humanoid brain pattern (multiple ones, even), it's not inconceivable that a starship computer might run something like the Doc aside from its regular functions. Star Trek computers are so monstorusly powerful and alien compared to ours it's hard to tell how all of this works. But one has to wonder if that asteroid full of Mark 1's could ever develop so much as the Doc before they run out of processing power.
>>
Has somebody got the Star Trek viewing guides? The 3 ones that predate this general and the Enterprise one made by one of us, I mean.
>>
>>53926982
Forget about some neophyte researcher. Any random asshole can accidentally create a sentient lifeform in the holodeck just by asking.
>>
>>53927253
Makes you wonder how many creepy sexual fantasies have been self-aware.
>>
>>53927253
And they somehow have a soul or equivalent as detected by the one-drop token psychic.
>>
>>53910887
It wouldn't have ever happened. ENT was quite clear on that. The Vulcans and Andorians would have ground each other down so much that the Romulans could step in and take over.
>>
>>53911634
This may be one of the reasons borg technology and behavior never actually changes in spite of all of the assimilation. At some point they hit a wall and can't really change their core behavior anymore because of how complex and interdependent everything is, so they've just devolved into cyber-zombies.
>>
>>53912214
Slashdot to this day uses a little picture of Bill Gates as Locutus for Microsoft-related stories. You are far from the first to make the comparison.

>>53927450
The awesome thing about that is that the real-world way of managing complexity is virtualizing and containerizing everything, which for the Borg would mean breaking the hive mind and allowing drones a degree of individuality again. If we ever get a new Prime series and a Trek series writer that understands technology, we could see a reformed Borg collective as a natural consequence of assimilating some human historical code repository from the 21st century.
>>
>>53912670
>They would also treat Andorians like modern Germans treat themselves, to the point where multiculturalist, pacified Andorians would start to develop.

Andorians would never fall for that particular ruse, especially if it was being imposed by someone else, and ESPECIALLY it it was being imposed by the fucking pigmen.
>>
>>53925962
>>53926016
Like said above, a computer somehow handles that (with forcefields and shit).
>>
File: usscalypso.jpg (401KB, 1103x698px) Image search: [Google]
usscalypso.jpg
401KB, 1103x698px
>>53924946
Reason it didn't look like that was pure production time related problems. The simplified form was way easier to produce, they simply didn't have the time to go with all the curves Probert originally designed it with.
>>
File: hot_iron_by_killabc-da4j8xd.jpg (849KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
hot_iron_by_killabc-da4j8xd.jpg
849KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>53928307
Don't you dare ruin my Excelsior, anon. I won't stand for that.
>>
>>53925143
>tfw Neelix gets better characterisation in STO than in VOY
>>
File: to_explore_by_killabc-dae1q64.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
to_explore_by_killabc-dae1q64.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>53928618
>clearly an Excelsior derivative
>ruin

Wut.
Anyway it's just an updated take on the Lexington class command cruiser from Klingon Academy.
>>
>>53920936
>my wife and I are indeed hosting a Nausicaan refugee in our home
Would be triggered, but too busy looking for sides
>>
>>53928863
Apologies. I've not had the opportunity to play Klingon Academy. I've become cynical to the constant redesigns of various iconic designs within the franchise. Particularly those entering on the TOS/Film continuity.
>>
>>53928962
If you get the opportunity and can get it working it's one of the better games of the star trek brand.

Unfortunately GoG doesn't have it yet, only Star Fleet Academy and damn it still only Star Fleet Command 1 not the way better 2/Orion Pirates.
>>
>>53929209
I had SC2 for a long time before my brother's bitch of a wife (who is actually lovely and I'd never say a bad word against) went and spilled a half a pint of cider on. Now all I've got is SC3 and Legacy.
>>
>>53929209

> Unfortunately GoG doesn't have it yet,

Not owning KA on the original 6 CD Version.
More to the point, that's still working fine, even on WIn10.
There was even a high resolution patch for it somewhere.

It's the most tactical bridge simulator I know.
Where else could you have fun combining tractor beams and asteroid fields?
>>
>>53899205
WHY?
>>
>>53929777
Your weight regiment is illogical. You shall comply.
>>
Oy vei Federation!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10542693
>>
>>53899205
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUhVCoTsBaM

AWAKEN MY CYBORGS
>>
>>53928842
Pretty much every VOY character gets better characterisation in STO than in the show.
>>
>>53933060
>Tuvok
>Best Girl
>The Doctor
>better characterisation STO than in the show
you are fake news

I'll concede Kim, though, because he was a literal fucking plank of wood, even in most of his own dedicated episodes. All three(?) of them.
>>
>>53934093
>tremendous, bigly, YUUGE

But yeah, it's fair to say I was grandstanding. I would argue Tuvok's case as he got a good arc in STO. But Best Holgram and 7 of 9 were certainly better in the show
>>
>>53927300
>Computer, load model; Designation, Sasha Grey
>Computer, add personality; my bitch ex wife
>Computer, load scenario; Bajoran sex slave
>Computer, remove holodeck safeties.
>>
>>53899982
Is watch basically any new trek at this stage
>>
>>53935935
Even Discovery?
>>
>>53936011
At this point yeah.
>>
File: IMG_2150.jpg (228KB, 1512x864px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2150.jpg
228KB, 1512x864px
>>
File: war_games_by_killabc-d5gkd31.jpg (1MB, 2000x1264px) Image search: [Google]
war_games_by_killabc-d5gkd31.jpg
1MB, 2000x1264px
>>
>>53931167
Speaking of STO, anyone else playing it? Only recently decided to check it out and in a little over a week I'm now doing end-game content (focusing on the Solanae Dyson Sphere at the moment, going to work on Lukari after that.
>>
>>53940427
Been playing since it went free2play.
What knowledge do you seek?
>>
>>53940427
I've just been logging on to get the stuff for the free ship. Kinda burnt out because there's been no good new content besides the story missions for months.
>>
>>53940427
Ran out of things to do with my characters. Have all the ships I want. Played all the missions. Tried my hand at a foundry mission right as the foundry went down for a month.
>>
>>53940427
Yes.

Made the /tg/ recommended character of the centuries old Vulcan who refuses to take off the Kirk era uniform.

Flying around in a 23c Ranger ship.

Current goal is to make it the most beat up looking piece of crap ship that there has ever been and make it look like it is centuries old and approaching the Ship of Theseus point. To this end I'm going for full Borg set. Got the universal console, got the deflector, nearly got the impulse engines and then is the long grind towards the shields.

Also getting the universal consoles from all the other reputation missions because thematically it fits. The ship has been repaired from generations of parts from one side of the Federation to the other and beyond.

Vulcan is old as balls and looks it. Grey bears, bald on top with grey hair, one empty socket under the eye patch and a nasty old green scar running out from under the patch. When he was young, in the 23c start, he was built like Flash Gordon with pointy ears, all square jaw and built like a brick shit house. Now he's a wiry spider of a man. His crew might have gotten a lift by Denials to the early 25c but he took the long road.

It's a fun character to play.
>>
>>53940427
I haven't played since the end of Delta. I have a lifer account though so my lifer stipend is probably pretty big by now.
>>
>>53940427
Tried it with a bunch of friends, but none of us were too thrilled about it. It's way too MMOy for my tastes, with all the running around for new gear, and the shitty ground missions. And none of the quests feel really "Trek" to me. It has nothing that I liked about the show.

I'm pretty proud of the fact that my Andorian hottie captain's alien sounding name just means "blue of colour" in my own language.
>>
>>53941933
Does anyone ever get any ZEN off of the Dilithium Exchange? I've put in a request for 250 ZEN two days ago and still have not gotten it. I just want two more Bridge Officers...
>>
>>53944285
You've got to set your Dilithium/zen price to the best offer on the exchange
>>
>>53944571
I have.
>>
>>53944650
Are there 250 available at that price?
>>
>>53944285
First off, why the fuck are you buying boffs with zen, that's stupid.

Second off, if you want zen right away then you need to request to buy it at the Top Offers to Sell Zen price. If you're setting it at the best price under the Buy window then you won't get it right away because those are existing offers. But if those offers are existing then it means nobody is actually selling at that price.

But again that's a moot point because you should never be buying boffs with zen.
>>
>>53944739
Well, system says there is, as of this moment, 45,828 Zen available at the highest going rate of 295 Dilithium/Zen and that is what I put down on.
>>
>>53944762
I'm wanting more bridge officer slots. Sorry, didn't make that too clear.
>>
>>53944215
Have to agree with this. It's mostly a generic murder-spree MMO but with a Star Trek skin. And hate that the storylines are mostly terrible powercreep wankery with even stronger and stronger bad guys to fight against constantly being introduced.

Space combat is the bright spot and still pretty fun, though.
>>
>>53944792
Okay then, that's different.

Still need to make sure you're looking at the right tab. Are you sure that's 45,828 Zen actually available, or is that the total combined amount that other people are trying to buy at 295? If you want it right away then you'll need to offer to buy at a higher price.
>>
>>53944877
It's been days now, yes I'm sure. I'm about to say duck it and just buy Zen using my credit card...
>>
>that feel when dropped ST because of a single episode
DS9 is shit anyway.
>>
>>53944918
Considering how bad the worst of every other show gets, I cannot conceive of a single DS9 episode bad enough to make you think this way.
>>
>>53944918
Which episode?
>>
>>53944938
>bad enough
The whole "set on a space station" wasn't my thing either.
>>53944944
Doctor Bashir, I Presume
>>
>>53944957
Okay I see the problem, you're a colossal faggot.
>>
>>53944957
Dude, what? That was a very good episode imo. Why the hate?
>>
>>53944973
For not liking the worst ST show?
>>
>>53944984
>DS9
>Not Enterprise

Wut?
>>
>>53944983
I didn't even finish watching it, just stopped out of disgust. The way Bashir is treated in the episode is beyond ridiculous.
>>53944996
I haven't watched Enterprise.
>>
>>53945002
Anon, go back and actually watch the full series, it's good. Also, never watch Enterprise.
>>
>>53945002
Hating that episode, of all episodes, show how absolutely monumentally clueless you are.

>I haven't watched Enterprise.
Or any other Trek show besides TNG if you think DS9 is the worst.
>>
>>53945037
>never watch Enterprise
Why not?
>>53945045
I've watched TOS and TNG, as well as some of Voyager and DS9. It's just not my cup of tea. It's not bad, just uninteresting.
>>
>>53944918
>>53944957
>>53945002
>The whole "set on a space station" wasn't my thing either.

Wow.

Just wow.

I just typed a post on a different site about how some total idiots cite this as a reason to dislike DS9.

Look mate, just stop watching Trek. It isn't for you.
>>
>>53945037
With the way he's talking, I actually think he'll enjoy the shit out of Enterprise. He'll probably go yeehaw! every time Archer stands up to those uppity Vulcans.
>>
>>53945149
>yeehaw!
Who does this?
>>
>>53945174
Idiots.
>>
>>53945138
I don't dislike it. I just think that's what makes it less interesting than the other ones.
>>
>>53945193
Really, because the utter garbage writing of half of TOS, most of Voyager, almost all of Enterprise, and more of TNG than people like to admit make them less interesting.
>>
>>53945213
It's not like there are huge differences in the writing between the series. It's all pretty much the same.
>>
>>53945228
Guys, just stop replying to him
>>
File: Enterprise A.jpg (141KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
Enterprise A.jpg
141KB, 1280x800px
PRAISE THE LORD ANONS!
OUR BELOVED CONNIE IS GETTING A RE-SKIN IN STO AND THE TOS VERSION GETS A PILOT EPISODE VARIANT SKIN!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10546513
>>
>>53945239
You know what? I'll watch Enterprise, and see if it's worse than DS9. Just for you.
>>
>>53945268
Get ready to really enjoy the few episodes where Andorians show up
>>
>>53945267
This is just and good.
>>
>>53945267
SOYUUUUUUUUUUZ
>>
>>53945267
I don't even play and I am glad this is happening.
>>
>>53945182
Rosco pls
>>
>>53947248
I want to say I could see Kirk do this with some local alien law enforcement authority while Spock goes all "illogical", but the dude can't actually properly drive a car.

Unless it's JJTrek Kirk, because NuTrak just has to go out of its way to do literally everything wrong.
>>
File: NeoConnie.jpg (161KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
NeoConnie.jpg
161KB, 1920x1080px
It's here!
>>
File: NeoConnie in battle.jpg (430KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
NeoConnie in battle.jpg
430KB, 1920x1080px
>>53947693
>>
>>53947693
That's fucking aesthetic as fuck.
>>
>>53946221
Only for the T6 yoke
>>
File: IMG_2367.jpg (261KB, 1512x864px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2367.jpg
261KB, 1512x864px
>>
>>53947693
I'm irritated that it took a long time to get the classic Connie into STO, and I really wish I could get that material for every hull.
>>
>>53952058
Supposedly this is part of some big redesign they're doing, starting with the classics.
>>
>>53944996
Hey, Enterprise gets good halfway through season 3
>>
>>53891917
Too bad she fell down a malfunctioning turboelevator shaft.
>>
>>53955194
I hate that they make no mention of her disappearance
>>
>>53940427
Belatedly, yes - I'm the newfag who was asking about sci builds a dozen threads back or so, just found a decent RP fleet too. While I'm here, which space and ground reps do people go for, and why? Just aesthetics?
>>
>>53955837
I'm still running Iconian in space for my DPS build. For my eng cruiser build I have half Nukara (shield and engines) half Terran (deflector and warp core). Both alts run disruptor so I can run the Terran disruptor beam, because the damage scaling makes it literally the best weapon in the game, though I don't have either two of those set pieces on either character. Haven't gotten around to hashing out a good science build yet.

Don't even bother with rep stuff on the ground, I have the Na'khul set. For that it's only to unlock the costume for aesthetics: Delta armor for my Fed, Honor Guard for KDF.
>>
>>53945138
How the shit? It's literally the only reasonable reason to dislike DS9 aside from un-Gene-ness. It's vastly superior to the series made it (and fares very well even in comparison to TNG) in terms of characterisation and themes, it deals with moral shit with surprising tact at least by Trek standards and genuinely gives good insight into other races or cultures instead of literally everything being about the human bridge crew (and occasional token ayy).

The stationary setting (Gamma Quadrant eps aside) and "m-muh Gene's Vision" are the only things that could possibly be perceived as flaws of the show and let's be honest, they aren't.
>>
>>53956008
*made after it
>>
>>53955837
>>53955958
Oh yeah, while I'm here - should probably what I have, too. Probably end up triggering everyone. Everything's XII because I'm a poorfag who can't into alts.

>T6 intrepid inb4 shit taste, I'm still a sucker for VOY and the trait was nice
>Full QPC set, plus as much DrainX I can reasonably shove in the science slots to make the most of it
>QP Torp Front (part of set, watching shields melt is fucking fun)
>Iconian Rep Torp Front (temp HP can be a lifesaver, plus better raw DPS than Grav)
>Grav Torp rear (mini-GW and shield pierce damage is always fun)
>Cutting Beam rear (self-explanatory)
>Pulse Phaser rear (got 'em cheap when Undiscovered lockbox was in full swing - they look wimpy but the proc's nice compared to the usual useless phaser one)
>Temporal Shields and Engines (DrainX, scaling regen and hazard cleansing is nice)
>QP Deflector (thinking of getting Temp instead to complete the set)
>Really old non-rep, non-set warp core I got a while that's held up p well
>Everything else is full of as many phaser buffs as I can fit (which isn't much)

Any advice lads? Sorry for shitting up these threads, but I don't wanna touch the build community in general because "dps = fun", the sheer autism the place reeks of, and the obligatory >>>>>>>>plebbit.

Ground's nothin
>>
>>53956336
Looking maybe to change out one or both of the torps, finish the Temp set, and get myself a half-decent warp core. Any recommendations for a newfag?
>>
>>53956336
Apparently the Dyson rep console got their exotic damage buffed out the ass. Science in general got hosed with season 13, so exotic damage is the way to go over control or drain. Main problem with you in the Interpid is that Timeline Collapse and the Paradox ship trait are BiS for exotic damage right now, and good luck getting the Paradox.
>>
>>53956604
Huh? Last time I buildposted here, it was autistic screeching that Sci abilities had been made better but the actual exotic damage from them was nerfed to shit and back - are they better again all of a sudden?

Also,
>Paradox
>Hangar pets
>Tanky
>4 fore weapons
>Good seating
>Doesn't sacrifice sub targeting or sensor analysis
>Decent admiralty
>Power bonuses
>That trait tho
I think I just came a little. Hell, I didn't even know this existed until now and these days I expect anything as "X dreadnought" to be a shooty tank with very slight leaning in X direction
>>
Since we've gone over to STO briefly, is the Heavy Escort Carrier actually worth anything, or is it all a pipe dream I've had? I come back to the game every so often and wonder what I've missed. Hell I didn't even realize crafting had changed until I tried to go to Memory Alpha.
>>
>>53957535
At the end of the day, STO is a game where you can get nothing but free ships and equipment and beat all the non-elite content. So in that context anything that isn't T4 or below is worth anything, and even then you can probably do decently enough in a T4 ship if you know what you're doing.

In terms of what's optimal, the T6 HEC has a lot going against it. Having a Ltc Pilot is fine but comes at the expense of your eng slots, which is only mitigated by a Lt Uni that you can run as Eng. Half-carriers still suck, Fed pets in general still suck and cannon pets still suck, so if you want it to sync with your ship trait then you're going to want to run it as a beamboat. Good news is Beam Overload is now useful and FAW spam isn't as much of an insta-win button as previously. Bad news is that running a beamboat, especially if you're running that Uni as an Eng and not a Tac, means the console set doesn't sync as well as it should since the 2-set buffs torp damage.

I'd probably run it as a single-target beamboat. If you're going to use the HEC consoles, or even just the T6 console, consider running it as a shield-stripper with tetryon weapons, tach beam (if you have the Rezreth and/or Nandi, their traits would sync with this), and either elite Delta Flyers to help with the shield stripping. If you're running just the T6 console then consider the elite Widows (Nukara rep) since they have FAW.
>>
>>53888592
I wonder how the Sovereign and the Negh'var compare to one another.
>>
File: OxgpAuB[1].png (296KB, 751x629px) Image search: [Google]
OxgpAuB[1].png
296KB, 751x629px
>>53957535
throw every type of photon torp launcher on it and live the torp spamming dream
get the terran rep torp stuff that lowers cooldown
get 3 projectile officers that lower torp cooldown
use HYIII with the undine rep photon torp, for silly damage
use torp spread with the dyson rep graviy photon torp
use dyson swarmer pets, and the HEC ship trait, to strip shields with a shitton of simultaneous beam overloads from you and your pets. the console set increases torp damge
Dyson weapon set has bonus critH/D for photon torps
adapted MACO set has bonus torp damage
Terran weapon set has bonus torp damage and an ability to fire extra torps
they added a heavy weapon slot recently, haven't tried it out yet.
>>
>>53956008
Why are you responding to me? DS9 is my favorite show. It being set on a space station is a stupid reason to dislike it because it doesn't mean anything. If Star Trek was the wagon train to the stars, DS9 is the frontier fort among the stars. It's a purely arbitrary thing to point out as a negative. The Enterprise might have been stationary as well, because it travelling is only a writer's conceit. Case in point, Stargate does the exact same thing without spaceships.
>>
>>53961277
There isn't that many heavy weapons around yet, but id recommend you try out the one you can unlock through competitive warfare grind.
>>
File: cataloging_by_killabc-d5fisyp.jpg (1MB, 2000x1264px) Image search: [Google]
cataloging_by_killabc-d5fisyp.jpg
1MB, 2000x1264px
>>
>>53962252
Heavy weapons?
>>
>>53966333
A new end game escorts only weapon which by default is a giant lightning gun.

The one i was recommending is basically a giant space shotgun, also called a flakk cannon.
>>
I'm watching DS9 and I gotta say I'm getting real sick of Fontaine's shit.
>>
>>53967521
You shut your goddamn mouth. Fontaine is a boss.
>>
File: image.jpg (30KB, 511x178px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 511x178px
In your opinion /tg/, would using WoD and replacing the words "gun" and "car" with "phaser" and "shuttle" be enough to run a fun Star Trek game?
>>
>>53967642
So the Humanity stat would become.... what, the Kool-Aid meter? That means Sisko ends up at 0 by the series finale.
>>
>>53967642
If you're comfortable with that system and you think you can make it work then yeah, go nuts.

>>53967601
I don't hate Fontaine. But I do think his character is entirely out of place. If he'd only ever appeared in "It's Only a Paper Moon" I wouldn't really mind.
>>
>>53968145
>But I do think his character is entirely out of place.
See, I think he was pretty necessary, to add a little levity to the show in the darker period of the Dominion War. I enjoy what he adds to the show and don't feel he was overused. Different strokes, I guess.
>>
>>53968145

He was OK in "The Emperor's New Cloak" and I liked "Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang"
>>
If Fontaine's episodes were spread over the entire series instead of just packed into a season and a quarter than he'd be fine. Same problem Ezri had.
>>
>>53967857
I hadn't considered the Humanity stat, but that could probably remain the same given how many Star Trek plots revolve around some captain or admiral's morality slowly slipping. Could keep it there untouched until needed, or run a campaign one day with a crooked captain and see who gives in.
>>
STO-friends, give me suggestions for a T6 Romulan ship. What's good?
>>
>>53969415
Either get the Scimitar bundle or get the temporal cross-faction bundle. That's pretty much it for worthwhile Rom ships.
>>
>>53969415
The Dinaes Warbird Destroyer
>>
>>53969506
Like the T6 T'varo?
>>
File: Ship and rep.png (261KB, 647x478px) Image search: [Google]
Ship and rep.png
261KB, 647x478px
Since I asked earlier about the HEC, assuming I wanted to actually do more than watch my pets die, what would I look to use if I wasn't a huge fan of the the super squishy Escort play? Aside from my HEC, I've got the T6 Intel cruiser they gave away, and the T5 Battle Cruiser and Tactical Escort Retrofit. Pic related is my (shitty) gear and really bad rep.
>>
>>53971242
Run your Lt Uni as Eng, switch to a single-target beamscort, switch your pets to something more durable like runabouts or delta flyers. If you haven't respecced yet, pick up the pet-benefiting skills. Pilot is actually underrated in terms of survivability since you have access to abilities like Hold Together and Deploy Countermeasures, but your Pilot boff is LtC Eng so you definitely want to run Eng in your Uni. You won't be as durable as a dedicated tanking cruiser, but the HEC and especially the T6 HEC is one of the most durable escorts so you don't have to be super-duper squishy. Beyond that, just focus on gearing up properly. Re-run episodes for gear.
>>
>>53971718
What missions should I be rerunning? Also of the two, which would be the better hangar pet? Delta Flyer or the Runabout?
>>
>>53971971
Flyers have tach beam for shield stripping, runabouts have tractor beams to lock something in place while you wail on it. If you want to go the shield stripping route then get tetryon beams (New Link), the tetryon weapon/console set (Butterfly) and the quantum phase set (Stormbound), and pick up drain expertise if you respec. If not, go disruptor (Echoes of Light, Blood of Ancients, Past Imperfect) and the Kobali set (Dust to Dust).
>>
>>53969415
If you like GOES FAST or want some strafing action, you can also look into the Pilot Ships. Same layout as all the other pilot ships and pilot maneuvers are always fun.
>>
>>53961277
>wanting to strip shields
>not slotting QP Torp
???
>>
>>53961199
Well from what we've seen of the Negh'var in the show, she's a heavy hitter but she's slow. By comparison the Sovereign packs less firepower but is nimble and extremely manoeuvrable for a ship of her size. Defensively, Klingon shields seem fairly ineffectual so the Sovereign would win out on that count.
>>
File: Stella Auroraby the firstfleet.jpg (5MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
Stella Auroraby the firstfleet.jpg
5MB, 4096x2304px
>>
File: USS_Olympia_debris.jpg (42KB, 600x459px) Image search: [Google]
USS_Olympia_debris.jpg
42KB, 600x459px
A different times you hear about these federation long duration deep space missions. I think one was offered to Riker that would have taken them well beyond federation space for 5-6 years.

The Olympia for example was sent on an eight year exploratory mission to the Beta Quadrant in 2363.

Most of the stuff in TOS and TNG you see them generally operating within a few weeks travel of starbases. How would they outfit ships for these longer range missions?
Types of ship, crew size, supplies etc.

Voyager obviously isn't a good example as it was only set up for a short duration mission into the Badlands. They certainly weren't prepared to be dealing with children on board.
>>
>>53977379
5-6 years outside Federation space" may not mean 3 years out and 3 back. It could be a roundabout course that sometimes sends you weeks out to an anomaly or friendly species, but it could also be skirting Federation borders. The Federation is pretty big by TNG, and sizable in TOS, so even getting to the edge of it would mean communications to you home would be strained.

So given they're not going somewhere their sensors or standard communications couldn't make contact with in a few days, supplies would be stockpiled but trade and resupply wouldn't be out of the question.

Also I assume the cruisers are the ships they send on those missions, since they're often termed exploratory cruiser, and designed for long distances. The Miranda, Constitution, Excelsior, Ambassador, and Galaxy (and Nebula?) would be battleships if made by another organization, high powered and with twice as much firepower. But they're loaded with noncombat shuttles, cargo bays, sensor arrays, and science suites with crews in the 400+ range due to the size of the ships and varied specialties of the officers. That being said, by TNG basically any Federation ship would be pretty comfortable for long periods, smaller ships only having the disadvantage of having less varied capabilities (and lower defenses maybe).

But for missions like the 8 year mission, where we're assuming the ship is cut off from the Federation for year 2-7 completely save for long distance communications, I'd bet either a heavy cruiser, or something hella fast. A standard Galaxy or Excelsior is big. Any scientific discovery could be studied, or at least recorded for future study, and there's more than enough room for entertainment. Their weapons and top speeds are the best in the fleet, as is their defenses, but unlike a Klingon or Romulan contemporary aren't lined with disrupters so a new species wouldn't always assume you're invading.
>>
>>53977379
>>53977904
The Olympia was a Connie, so I suspect that durability is a major concern for these long-range missions. A class with a proven track-record of surviving damage that would total another ship. Supply space would also be an issue but food and water wouldn't be a problem courtesy of replicators and a decent stockpile of emergency rations, just in case.
The ship would assuredly need an onboard machine shop to fabricate equipment for repairs, resupply weapons and shuttlecraft.
>>
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10549024

HEY KIDS, WANNA GRIND SOME MORE?
>>
>>53980362
>>53980362
At least they're not directly asking for money, I suppose.
>>
>>53980151
>The Olympia was a Connie
Or at least something that used the same saucer.
>>
>>53982327
They used the damaged hull of the Enterprise from ST:III for the Olympia. Most notably the saucer but also a Nacelle, which is visible in the episode.
>>
>>53982445
My point was that there isn't a shortage of kitbashed ships that would use those same visible parts.
>>
File: IMG_2637.jpg (235KB, 1512x864px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2637.jpg
235KB, 1512x864px
>>
File: IMG_2652.jpg (220KB, 1512x864px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2652.jpg
220KB, 1512x864px
>>
Just decided to roll a new character on STO - an Alien Engineer of the Romulan Faction. What ship should I make pick up at level 40 and what loadout should I make for it?
>>
>>53985950
I hear the Mogai/Valdore/Morrigu is pretty good.
>>
>>53983367
Got more Connie Refit?

>>53982994
Few enough that would fit the mission profile. Ships like the Akula and Saladin are too small, the Constellation and Miranda have physically different hulls that rule them out. The only one that springs to mind is the Federation Class.
>>
File: IMG_2639.jpg (329KB, 1512x864px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2639.jpg
329KB, 1512x864px
>>53988373
>>
File: IMG_2641.jpg (225KB, 1512x864px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2641.jpg
225KB, 1512x864px
>>53988373
>>
>>
>>53992686
>1-hex stand
>Model takes up 3 hexes, and sticks over the sides of those

I'm hoping most engagements happen at ranges of 10+ hexes?
>>
File: 1492529012684.png (149KB, 278x306px) Image search: [Google]
1492529012684.png
149KB, 278x306px
>>53945096
>uninteresting
>some of the most intense, dedicated and well thought-out examinations of militarism, race, cultural conflict, ethical steadfastness or compromise in utopia, in the entire canon, all while still having some damn good science fiction ideas and episodes
>uninteresting
>>
>>
>>53992993
>>some of the most intense, dedicated and well thought-out examinations of militarism, race, cultural conflict, ethical steadfastness or compromise in utopia, in the entire canon, all while still having some damn good science fiction ideas and episodes

You forgot
>in TV

it has nothing on literature.
The episodic format also restricted how deep they could go way too harshly.
>>
>>53995636
By that logic the Trek novels would be way better. And yet that's not the world we live in.
>>
In STO how much of a backstory is it acceptable to put in the biography section of your character?

I really, really don't want to look autistic.
>>
>>53997978
Well I wouldn't go writing a life story. Maybe explain a little about how the joined Starfleet and what their overall objective is.

There are some RP groups out there that dig really detailed backstories though.
>>
>>53997978
So long as you don't mary sue too hard nobody really minds.
>>
>>53997978
Don't namedrop.

I'm not sure on the numbers of people whose dudes have served with Janeway, Picard, Sisko, Kirk and/or Archer but it's a sadly large amount.
>>
>>53977379
It's what the Galaxy was designed to do in universe. Bring your families because you'll be gone for five years at a time.
>>
>>53999267
>bring the family
So we don't leave orphans
>>
>>53999301
Wonder if instead of orphanages they have a load of suicide booths instead?
>>
>>53999371
Those are just transporter pads up to a Miranda in orbit.
>>
>>53997978
I usually fill out the whole thing, because I can create backstories at the drop of a hat.

>>53999158
For my TOS character I couldn't resist a single namedrop - T'Pol visited her elementary school on Alpha Centauri. I didn't say that she actually got to personally speak to T'Pol or anything, though. It was probably just a speech or something. In any event, it inspired my character to join Starfleet.
>>
>>53999379
Like i said, suicide booths.
>>
>>53997978
This is a very brief summary of my character

"Born to merchants of a pre-warp civilization, she always looked to the stars. When her people achieved warp travel in her early youth and were contacted by Starfleet, she snuck aboard one of the runabouts. Impressed with her determination and zeal, the captain of the ship she snuck on to, he allowed to stay aboard for a while since the ship was due to study the nearby binary star cluster. When one of the scientists studying it was at a loss for why the stars were acting up, she passed on knowledge that was taught to her people in their version of elementary school which allowed them to complete their work.

After that, she plead with the captain to let her be a member of Starfleet and he agreed to write a letter for her on the condition she at least said goodbye to her family (which she did). Off to the Academy a few months later, she specialized in Astrophysics and Xenobiology (with a preference for non-humanoid aliens)."

That's it. No name drop, nothing. It's a little more in depth than that but not by much.
>>
>>53995636
>beta canon
>fucking studio-sponsored fanfiction
>>>>>>>>literature
>>
File: STO Dok2 Bio.jpg (73KB, 506x458px) Image search: [Google]
STO Dok2 Bio.jpg
73KB, 506x458px
>>53997978
>>
>>54000119
10/10, would raid Sela's panty drawers with
>>
File: 1496539424893.gif (397KB, 245x138px) Image search: [Google]
1496539424893.gif
397KB, 245x138px
>>53999379
>>53999667
>>
Can we talk about Star Trek Online here?

There doesn't seem to be a community on /vg/ and I just got into it.
>>
>>54000990
Go ahead.
What do you want to discuss?
>>
>>54001094
Sisko did the same thing for Nog.
>>
>>54001030
What's some essential stuff to know?

I went engineer/cruiser because I'm new to MMOs as a whole and figured being the guy with the most HP was the best way to start out.

That said, will I be shooting myself in the foot if I decide to try out escort or science ships with this character later?

Also, does /tg/ have a fleet?
>>
File: IMG_2635.jpg (245KB, 1512x864px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2635.jpg
245KB, 1512x864px
>>54000990
We generally do. More so for lore reasons but builds/tactics are fine too.

>>53992940
Been looking through the rules (there are a metric shit-ton) and it seems like CQC is inadvisable because the closer you are the more likely you are to get blindsided by your opponent on their turn.
>>
>>54001196
>be /tg/
>be doing things
Pick one.
>>
File: Air support.jpg (648KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Air support.jpg
648KB, 1920x1080px
>>54001196
/tg/ used to have a fleet or so i hear, nowadays the only chan fleet we got is the /v/ fleet that has folks from /v/, /vg/, /tg/ and 4+4chanin it, called "Vidya fleet".
Chat channel is /v/, if you want to come around and shoot some shit with others or just ask stuff.

It's ok to use different ships as the captain you chose, the best captain per say probably would had been the tactical captain, but engi captain is also good, your special ability will be the orbital strike you can summon virtually anywhere.
Cruisers are pretty versatile ships, being able to dish out tons of DPS with right crew skills and consoles while still being tanky enough to not die in first volley of enemy fire.

As for essential stuff, right click your guns in the weapon tray, press space and enjoy automatic weapon fire upon your enemy till he is dead.
Oh and try not to either mix energy types or weapon types, because it will be most beneficial for you to fill your tactical console slots with either consoles that boost your preferred energy type (bigger boost) or weapon type (less boost but you have a bit more versatility with energy types).
For now you are ok with the stuff you get as random loot, experiment on those guns and find something you fancy, pretty much all energy types and weapon types are good.

Oh and remember, only escorts and some specifically defined ships can use dual/dual heavy cannons which offer highest deeps and lowest firing arcs.
>>
>>54001196
>What's some essential stuff to know?
Right click your weapons on the HUD (not the character sheet) to set them to autofire.

>That said, will I be shooting myself in the foot if I decide to try out escort or science ships with this character later?
No, character class doesn't limit your ship selection.

>Also, does /tg/ have a fleet?
Used to many many years ago but it just merged with the /v/ fleet.
>>
>>54001094
>prewarp
>When her people achieved warp travel in her early youth and were contacted by Starfleet
What is reading comprehension?
>fixes star
That could be anything from "lol, we can figure this stuff out in our heads" to "hey mister, did you know that blah blah blah (some elementary thing that the scientist didn't think of because it was too easy and couldn't be that)". I don't know what anon was going for here, but it's not necessarily bad.
>captain has authority to let nonmember join starfleet
Kinda. They can at least give a recommendation, which goes a long way. See: Nog and Sisko. And the captain has a lot of authority as to who stays on his ship and who doesn't, and what they do while there.
>>
>>54000990
>what is this entire thread
>>
>>54001334
Not him, but I used to tinker around in STO quite some time ago in what was probably an older /v/ fleet and have played with the notion of firing it back up again. I hear they've made plenty of improvements/additions since then (like Romulans).

Since I did love my KDF Carrier captain back in the day, are Klinks still competitive when it comes to carriers or have the Feddies finally eclipsed us in that as well?
>>
File: Jupiter class carrier.jpg (378KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Jupiter class carrier.jpg
378KB, 1920x1200px
>>54001815
Feddies got their first real carrier (Jupiter class) a year or two ago.
Most carriers are cross faction ones nowadays.
Also there is one carrier you can grab for free if you do a daily mission on Risa for a while now.
It should be still doable for a month or so, not sure how much time there is still to do that one though.
They also changed Risian pearls into yearly specific tokens, so you cant finish up a grind if you don't finish it while it is still on.
Unless you fork up some lobi crystals and buy boxes that contain daily tokens for that carrier.

Oh and they made carrier pets indestructible to ship explosions to make carriers easier.
>>
>>54001763
Yeah, I realized that as soon as I posted it and felt dumb.

How far can a fella get without putting money into the game?
>>
>>54001908
You might struggle with elite content, but you can do everything else with just free shit. Paying money is for people who want the shiniest new gimmick.
>>
>>54001907
Yeah I think I left the game right around the time the first Feddie carrier got announced due to unrelated reasons. Can't say I'd be terribly broken up about missing that Risan one, don't much like the look of it, regardless of how good mechanically it may be.

I was thinking of rerolling in any case, leveling up is comfy and I feel it'd be best to relearn the game from the ground up because of how long its been. My previous captain was science, but I imagine engy is also good to fly carriers with no? I'd just remake my big dumb lizardman and his big dumb lizardcrew and do it all over again.
>>
>>54001979
What does elite content entail?

Is it viable to just buy your one top-tier shipfu and leave it at that?
>>
>>54001988
You dont like this thing?
Huh, to each his own then i suppose.
Personally i love this look.
>>
>>54002012
What can I say? I'm a man of peculiar preferences. Well in any case, you've prompted me to finally update the game again after having it sit inert for god knows how long. Maybe my Gorn will see you online.
>>
>>54002186
Also remember that you can now make a TOS era character (as a feddie) and get some extra stuff and missions on that character (though those marks, money, skills and other loot you gain as that char you can get as other chars.
>>
>>54002305
Good to know, but I'm sure I'll just be sticking to my KDF character as before. Maybe I just have a thing for playing the less popular factions in MMOs. Plus I'm more of a TNG/DS9 man at the end of the day.
>>
>>54002365
Yeah, but you get free miniskirts starting as TOS Fed.
>>
>>54002008
>What does elite content entail?
Late game stuff. The hardest difficulty of fleet queues. The sort of stuff where dps and min-maxing really matter.

>Is it viable to just buy your one top-tier shipfu and leave it at that?
Yeah pretty much. I'd say in 3+ years I've been playing (on and off) I've spent €90 on the game for 3 ships (T6 Ar'Kif, T6 Nebula and an EC float for a Galor) and bought the rest with EC/Dilitium, as well as taking advantage of the various giveaways and events that Cryptic do.
>>
Anybody mess with this little skinner box?
>>
>>54003007
Nope.
>>
>>54003007
Makes Cryptic look like rank amateurs, 'nuff said.
>>
>>54004066
>look like
Anon, seriously? They *are* rank amateurs.
>>
>>54004095
Rank amateurs at what they do best, faggot. As in, LARPing as Ferengi
>>
>>54003007
Yup. p2w af. It doesn't seem like it at first, but the difficulty ramps up very rapidly after a certain point, and you need to uncap purples or golds to get anywhere. Plus, not really a fan of the fiction as presented.
>>
>>54004342
>They're literally adding a Ferengi admiralty system.

Checks out.
>>
>>54004342
What LARPing? They just *are* Jew- I mean Ferengi.
>>
New Tread
>>54006681
>>54006681
>>54006681
>>54006681
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.