[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GURPS crossovers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: gurps.png (605KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
gurps.png
605KB, 750x600px
Being how I've been told that GURPS can do anything, one of the things I've always wanted to do is to put this to a test by letting the players indeed do anything.

Give them, say, hundred points, then tell them to go nuts.

How viable is this actually in practice? Would there be a better system for this kind of games?
>>
>>53886604
>100 points
Sure, that'd work, as long as "anything" is defined as "about as strong as an ordinary person".

250 points is the typical level for "heroic" characters like Special Forces soldiers and street-level superheroes; once you start getting into the significantly superhuman (AI killing machines, flying brick superheroes) you start looking at scores on the tier of 500+.

Megatron easily costs far more points than any of those others; I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he spent more points on Damage Reduction *alone* than most of them spent on their entire characters.
>>
Well, a hundred points is very little, so they couldn't actually get that much without lacking in some other areas. Otherwise, if the players are either affiliated with the system, or helped by the GM, very viable.
>>
>>53886604
Maybe a more rules-light game would work better for this. 100 (or 200, or whatever) points can be spent in a lot of ways, and if the players are all newbies, you might see PCs raging from amazing to near-useless. In even the wildest of campaigns, tossing the books at the players is a poor approach. I would say that the system would work well for crossover games, but you'd need to check sheets and be there for chargen like for any other GURPS game.
>>
>>53886694
MUNCHKIN is like 50 points.
>>
>>53886604
Is the guy in the white rich Texan suit the villain from the Muppet Movie?
>>
>>53887988
MUNCHKIN doesn't count, since it's an abuse of the rules to start off with.
>>
>>53888407
That's Boss Hogg from Dukes of Hazzard.
>>
>>53888484
If you drop the illegal modifier, it's still only like 60 points and about as effective.
>>
>>53886604
I run an episodic infinite worlds campaign occasionally where players can be anything and I just run a short adventure in any it works out pretty great. I actually use 100 points as well and it works well. I made the campaign TL at 6 since its average, which makes high tech equipment more expensive making it a bit more balanced.
>>
>>53890987
>IW campaign
I'm jelly as hell.
>>
>>53890987
>episodic infinite worlds campaign
That sounds fun as shit.
>>
>>53891021
>>53891190
Its pretty fun, I use it as a somewhat goofy campaign to run whenever with whoever happens to be around.
>>
>>53890987
From what I know of it Infinite Worlds is pretty close to OP's scenario, but I'm fairly sure it's still limited by its lack of aliens or fantasy creatures: it's basically human only.
>>
>>53891386
Banestorm is part of it, and there's a United States of Lizardia.
But yeah, no aliens.
>>
>>53891411
Which is a damn shame, because whenever I feel like just creating a random character for GURPS, they almost invariably end up as some kind of a scifi alien.
>>
>>53891386
When i say infinite worlds I really just read the basics of infinite worlds with the whole infinite number of alternate universes and stuff like the concept of echoes and then just went from there all by myself. In my campaign the players are based on a massive interdimensional space station in a completely empty universe. The station contains people and beings from all sorts of dimensions and time periods and it has pods that can warp in between dimensions.
>>
>>53886604
>How viable is this actually in practice? Would there be a better system for this kind of games?
It's not a good idea for people new to the system, because you're absolutely biting off more than you can chew if you allow a psionic reptiloid cosmonaut, elven high priest/miracleworker, discount Wolverine from Nazi's-won timeline Brookyln, and a cyborg Jovian Confederate soldier in the same party. You're using practically the entire system at once, which is just going to be too much for you or your players to handle.

It's a lot better to start off smaller. A (human) cosmonaut with Telekinesis as his sole psychic power, a (human) wizard that has college-limited magery, and a (human) vigilante with damage resistance and healing factor in the form of Regeneration is diverse and still uses a lot of rules, but it's limited in scope and much more manageable in play. They also should make a good Infinite Worlds team to go full pulp and punch nazis on another world.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.