[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 382
Thread images: 12

File: Lich.png (2MB, 1125x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Lich.png
2MB, 1125x1500px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion - Lich Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Feedback Questionnaires:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>53875352
>>
What's the best class for a gay Elf trying to hunt down his husband who was turned into a Vampire?

I'm not gay but I've always wanted to do this.
>>
>>53883296
Glamour Bard
>>
Is Dueiling fighting style still compatible with a quarterstaff wielded one-handed for Polearm Master?
>>
>>53883296
Rogue or Barbarogue.
>>
>>53883328
Yes, quarterstaff is the best Shield user weapon.

>>53883296
Ranger or Monster Hunter. Do some tragic final death thing. Paladin or Cleric could be good if you want to take it to extreme levels of homosexual roleplaying.
>>
>>53883328
>Polearm master quarterstaff meme

When will it stop?
>>
>>53883348
When it's not RAW or RAI. So maybe 6e.
>>
>>53883348
That's what I'm wondering too, but by the looks of it it's all legit. Which is odd, since you think the devs would somehow work regular ol' spears in there as well. All in all, it's a huge oversight on the part of Mearls.
>>
>>53883372
Difference is you stab bitches with a spear, anything that moves the stabby bit away from them to hit with the end is kinda silly.

Glaive, halberd and quarterstaff are all swung into people, and if you have the momentum of them moving already then why not crack the haft into their head as well? It's still sort of stupid on anything but a quarterstaff but you can see why they did it that way.
>>
>>53883384
Yes, I am aware bojutsu exists and that the historical Guan Yu did it, but I just dislike how it seems to render dual wielding obsolete.
>>
>>53883416
Let Duel-Wielders make extra bonus action attacks with extra attack. So 4 at level 5.
>>
>>53883416
Dual wielding is goofy anyway. Gimmick fighting techniques like using a trident or dual-wielding should be suboptimal or obsolete.
>>
>>53883425
That seems a bit too much.
>>
Hey /tg/

There's a guy in my new group wanting to play this homebrew class

https://wrathofzombie.wordpress.com/2015/01/08/the-wrathofzombie-totally-unofficial-hack-of-the-alice-class-from-a-red-and-pleasant-land/

Is this a red flag?
>>
>>53883451
haven't read it but yes
>>
>>53883450
Not really, it means (without feats) Two-Handers do 4d6+8 at level 5, while Dual-Wielders do 4d6+16 and have to give up their bonus action. If you have to give something up, you should be dealing more damage then someone who doesn't. If you include feats like 99% of games then Dual-Wielding is slightly worse still but not complete trash.

The main person I'd be worried about making Dual-Wielding too powerful with this is Paladins at level 11, but they don't get the fighting style anyway which makes them worse at it.
>>
>>53883348
I just don't understand how anyone can allow PAM to apply to one handed quarterstaff. I get that it works RAW, but how did the designers think this was a good choice?
It's nonsensical (inb4 'but what about magic and dragons?') and I'm glad none of my players know enough about the rules to exploit this or hand crossbow shenanigans.
>>
>>53883497
>I just don't understand how anyone can allow PAM to apply to one handed quarterstaff.
It's more busted with GWM and GWF on a Halberd desu.
>>
>>53883416
Give extra attack at 5 to TWF and it deals more damage than one handed dueling Quarterstaff without a feat tax.
http://anydice.com/program/c0de
>>
>>53883270
Would generic character classes work in 5E?
>>
>>53883505
I agree, but at least I can handle the idea of someone using the back end of a two-handed polearm to make a quick attack. Personally, I wouldn't let GWM apply to the bonus action attack.

The real cancer of these generals is the one dingus who keeps trying to push the Sharpshooter GWM Heavy Crossbow 1d4 + Str + 20 attack meme.
>>
>>53883451
The URL is a red flag, if nothing else.
Closer inspection reveals that the pdf is poorly made and the idea is dumb. My judgment is that (You) were asking a rhetorical question, posting bait, or legitimately have a red flag.
>>
>>53883425
>Fighters now get 3 extra attacks as a bonus action
This can't possibly end well.
>>
>>53883563
Yeah, I'm still iffy on letting Fighter's get away with it for their 3rd-4th attacks but the level 5 extra attack's fine.
>>
>>53883562
No bait intended, I just wanted to get some other opinions on it, I've never actually seen anyone want to play homebrew before

Should have just posted the PDF instead of the URL though, my bad
>>
>>53883573
As a GM, I would NEVER introduce these kinds of vague arbitrary rules.

>Your get extra attack... but only the first one.
This is already a stupid limitation. Why only the first? Why are fighters hit with a restriction that doesn't apply to everyone else?

>not problem on Paladins
In what world? They can grab a level of fighter for the fighting style. Hell, most people already do this, action surge is far too good for the level dip needed.
>>
>>53883543
What does /5eg/ think about just adding up the damage dice instead on normal attacks?

So 2 short swords = 2d6.

No bonus action attacks (unless you spend a feat I guess).

This makes it the DEX alternative to two handed weapons (STR still has an advantage with reach).
>>
What do you do if you're not having fun in an online session because of the DM/other players not being good?

Not talking about them being assholes or actively bad, DM is just not good at building the world at a depth that I'd prefer and the other players are inexperienced at the game and aren't roleplaying at all. They're not the type of problems that are going to be quickly solved by talking/complaining to them, so should I just excuse myself from the sessions? Idk I just feel bad because they're not doing anything "wrong" per say, I'm just disappointed.
>>
Need some advise...

I am playing as a Warlock in a group with an Assassin Rogue and a Valor Bard. Both are doing far better than I am.

Now, I probably messed up. I choose Blade Pact, and my stats at level 1 was 15 Cha and 17 Dex. I intend to multiclass out of Warlock and into fighter (this was always the plan), but what should my goal forward be? I know we are aiming for level 20 down the line.

Warlock 3/fighter 17 - basically abandon my dead class choice?
Warlock 4/fighter 16 - get that extra ASI before abandoning ship?
Stick with Warlock and get some more levels for it, supplementing with some fighter levels? Maybe 3 or 4 fighter levels, rest Warlock?

Or another mix entirely?
>>
>>53883608
I think it's a rather inelegant solution.
The extra attack is good thematically, because it helps reinforce the idea that 'more weapons = more attacks'. It also makes it beneficial for on-hit effects.
You'd also have a replacement for the TWF fighting style.

Balance-wise, it might be a bit strong.
>>
>>53883543
TWF with short swords should deal less damage than a greatsword because dex. TWF with hand axes should deal less because Throwable. Dual wielder should deal less than GWM because it gives +1 ac. Dual wielder should do more than polearm master with quarterstaff and shield because it gives less AC. Not much room there.
>>
>>53883451
Actually read the first 3 pages. Tell him no.

>>53883607
Which is why I said I'm iffy on it, I'm not going to include rules until I actually work out exactly how it will work.

The second one is an issue with a variant rule. Granted I do allow multiclassing but with justifiable reason and once you reach level 12 then dealing 8d8+16 with a feat isn't too big of a deal compared to PAM+GWM getting 2d10+1d4+3d8+12+30 damage.

>>53883608
I actually like that idea, no idea what TWF would now do though.
>>
>>53883607
Because they're the exception of the rule by having more than 1 extra attack, so they also become the exception of TWF's rule.
No point disallowing a cool feature for everyone because fighter would break it, specially as they rarely have use for bonus action already.
>>
>>53883661
Bullshit.

High dex makes armour a bad choice, and even with TWF, a platearmour on a GWM makes the GWM insanely better on all fronts. Better armour and better damage. No downside.

TWF still eats your bonus action for less damage.
>>
>>53883656
>because it helps reinforce the idea that 'more weapons = more attacks'

I don't think that's an idea that's worth reinforcing, because imo it's fucking stupid. I don't mind it being on a feat, but as a baseline it's very silly.
>>
>>53883613
Just open up to the DM and say you want to leave. It's really shit simply being a no-show.
>>
>>53883680
So you would rather disallow for the fighter?
>Hey your class has a cool feature
>check out this house rule, it helps out everyone EXCEPT your class, because haha fuck you, you picked the class who is an "exception" xD
I would say yes to EVERYONE, or not at all. Yeah, that would make fighters better at this, but then fighters are supposed to be the, y'know, fighters, so they should be better at it than say, a Barbarian, who has other things going for him.
>>
>>53883671
The problem being, I'm a player not the GM, so I dont know how to non-autistically bring up that the homebrew sucks cock
>>
>>53883613
Say you've got studies/work/whatever really piled on right now. You won't be able to play for a while but when you're available you'll message them to see if they're still going.

That way if you do decide you liked it you have a chance to rejoin.
>>
>>53883661
In terms of hierarchy of damage options I feel it should go, from highest to lowest:

>Two Handed (Axe/Sword/Maul)
No defense, 5ft range
>Polearm
No defense, but can attack from reach
>Dual Wield
+1 AC bonus, both hands must be full even when not attacking
>Sword and Board
The most defensive

Ideally, I'd like versatile weapons to have a use but I haven't been able to figure one out.
>>
>>53883593
The URL looked like a red flag because of the "lolrandom" name the guy uses. Maybe the guy is cool, but has poor taste in homebrew.

If the guy just wants to play nonstandard stuff, maybe point him at http://walrock-homebrew.blogspot.com/ for homebrew archetypes of regular classes.

Figure out just how much of a "that guy" that guy is, then start giving him as much latitude as he deserves.
>>
>>53883700
I agree it's entirely unrealistic, but the whole fluff behind dual-wielding in fantasy has always been about making multiple attacks in quick succession.
>>
>>53883733
The +1AC is really, really not worth it though. There's a reason people will go for pretty much any other fighting style over Defence.
>>
>>53883750
It makes no sense internally with what an attack action means in D&D either.

I get that it's a trope since... AD&D? but it's kinda cancerous.
>>
Alright, what if we include the extra attacks scaling with Extra Attack as the TWF feature. Then make adding your Ability Modifier to bonus action attacks as part of the feat rather then the +1 AC?
>>
>>53883481
seems like the power gain would be way too massive later on though
So if we are assuming fighter dual wielder vs fighter 2 hander

At level 5 its (assuming 2 handers dont benefit from your rule
Fighter 2H-8d6+mods (4 attacks) (action surge)
Fighter DH- 8d8+mods (8 attacks) (action surge)

Level 10
Fighter 2H- 9d6+mods (6 attacks) (action surge)
Fighter DH- 12d8+mods (12 attacks) (action surge)

so on and so forth there would be no reason to play 2-handers because as a champ dual wielder you'd just make so many attacks and do even more damage
>>
>>53883753
+1 AC counts for a lot, actually, on an AC heavy build. It's definitely the "mechanically boring, but strong" option.
>>
>>53883723
A Barbarian has to use a bonus action to rage.
A Rogue has only one attack and cunning action competing for bonus action.
A Ranger is a Ranger.
Paladin doesn't have access to the fighting style.
Fighter uses Action Surge for free, then uses it's bonus action to laugh at the others using TWF to match their damage output.
>>
>>53883296
Play a Totem Barbarian and when it's appropriate let your DM curse you into being a werewolf.

Hope the vampire glitters in sunlight.
>>
>>53883797
>action surge gives you another lot of bonus action attacks

That's stupid. Action Surge gives you another action and your bonus action attacks are only equal to your Extra Attacks. Also GWM gives you a bonus action attack if you kill someone, GWF gives about +1 damage per attack and the whole -5, +10 shit pushes Two Handers much higher.

>>53883799
On a build specifically to be a tanky asshole it's decent. However the amount of disadvantages a TWF has against a Polearm user is just hideous.
>>
>>53883416
I'm sorry actual fighting is more efficient than silly, flashy bullshit fighting.
>>
>>53883643
Beg for a remake.
>>
>>53883733
Versatile weapons are good on a Champion with Dueling and GWF so they can choose between defensive or offensive.
Also good on non Martials when they get melee'd.
>>
>>53883643
Switch to sorclock and ask if you can grab the warlock smite from UA.

Then quicken bladespells. If you are allowed, switch patron to Undying light to add +CHA to GFB, and pick a fire dragon sorc bloodline.
>>
Duelling or Defense Style on a Pala/Bladelock?
>>
>>53883866
Tomelock for shillelagh instead.
>>
File: IMG_1309.png (280KB, 434x700px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1309.png
280KB, 434x700px
I'm having trouble figuring out, from a worldbuilding/setting standpoint what specific experience or mindset distinguishes Bard with class levels from their mundane counterparts.

I understand and fully accept that the Bard is utilizing their master of words and patterns in the world to reshape reality through music and song, but is it then assumed that every sufficiently trained troubadour is capable of performing bardic cantrips and at least first-level spells?

Say, your party sees a band playing at the duke's wedding: if they're good enough to get hired for this high-profile gig, is it also safe to assume their music is magical? Is the rule set trying to imply that every career musician in the world of D&D is probably magic?
>>
So I've been thinking of how to make Rangers somewhere nearly as good as a Paladin and I've got an idea. Give them a 2nd level feature that basically fills their place of Smite.

When they hit a creature they can place a Mark on them, the Mark lasts for a minute and whenever they hit the target they deal an extra 1d6 damage (2d6 for a 3rd level slot and 3d6 for 5th). While a creature is Marked the Ranger gets ADV on any checks made to track or detect them. They can only have one Mark at a time and if they make a new one then their previous Mark ends. If the Marked target is their Favored Enemy then they can keep the Mark on them for 24 hours.

Thoughts? I'd obviously remove Hunter's Mark if I put this in. I like the idea that their damage bonus can scale and works with TWF like it's meant to.
>>
>>53883943
Forgot to mention that the Mark costs a spellslot.
>>
>>53883824
"without feats" was his first thing but with feats only does this get worse

5th level Half orc Frenzy Barbarian 2hander with GWM and Orcish fury can be doing (which he cant even have those feats by then lul)
(Assuming 20 strength)
6d6+21 (3 attacks and rage bonus) so far
+ GWM= 6d6+51
+ orcish fury 7d6+51 So yes you are right early on the ole two hander does do some crazy shit
but later on Fighters can be doing things (assuming with every bonus attack you get a bonus action to attack again with with duel wielding
Level 5
Crit on 19-20
im not aware of any crazy feats for duel weilders but tell me if i miss anything
Damage totals up to
(assuming 20 dex or str)
8d8+40
(or 6d8+30 in the case of no renewed bonus actions)

But at level 11th like i said things get fucky

Barb is doing the same shit he was doing but with about 3 more damage so
7d6+54 damage at level 10 3 attacks

But the fighter is getting out of hand
Crit on 19-20
12 attacks totaling 12d8+60 damage
or 9d8+45 damage 9 attacks
Thats all i have to say
>>
what do you guys think of the protection fighting style @ level 1 if everyone else is fairly squishy
>>
>>53883932
Simply playing music well is not enough to be a Magic Bard. You have to learn secret and well-guarded techniques of how to interact with the ethereal nature of magic itself using sound waves. It takes time, dedication, and above all a very different set of skills and knowledge from a mundane musician.

A bard is to a musician as a wizard is to an academic.
>>
File: RevisedParty.jpg (506KB, 995x1363px) Image search: [Google]
RevisedParty.jpg
506KB, 995x1363px
Back for advice my brethren...

I've been playing with my group for almost a year now. I'm the fighter of the group, a DW Fighter at that. I'm equipment reliant and I know it, so I actively pursue shiny things.

Recently, I've been seperated from the group In-Game (I couldn't play a weekend, so they left Waterdeep without my character. Didn't even leave a note.), in which our DM has ran coinciding plots for my Character and the other 4 players.

I wrapped up all of the open plot-hooks and quests we had in Waterdeep by myself, I befriended the major NPC's we were interacting with, by myself. I killed the main antagonist and his group that my other companions ignored/fled from. I did all of this in 5 days when the group left my character a total of 3-weeks ago.

So I've recently come into a mass wealth of 6k Gold, 15 magical items + the items I already had(Attunements and Non-Attunements) varying from Uncommon to Rare Wondrous.

Anyways, they're upset that I have all this equipment now. Yeah they killed a dragon in the time difference, but they're too stupid and un-creative to ever make profit or to find goods without me legitimately holding their fucking hands. I'm the CN character, but they all act like the CN variant that we all hate OHSORANDUMZ and generally act like Murder-Hobos with no direction.

I have no intention of sharing any of my acquired wealth with them, or to give out these magical items that I can't even attune (I already have 3.) or to even tell them what I really have, yet they feel I need to do so since they don't have shit.

What's your opinion in this situation? Am I in the wrong here? Should I try to elevate my retarded group members with my fat loot?
>>
>>53883969
These numbers make now fucking sense...

Why is the Fighter getting 8 attacks at level 5? The most he can do while surging is 6. What the fuck is a renewed bonus action? Nothing in the game gives that.

Barbarian sustained damage output vs. Fighter burst makes no fucking sense for comparing. If we're making the best builds possible then the level 5 Barb will be a V.Human with GWM+PAM and getting a bonus action attack even without Rage with ADV on all attacks.

Once again at level 11 the Fighter will be doing 6 attacks for all day long, or 9 once per rest. Compared to GWM+PAM users getting 4. Dual-Wielders dealing 6d8+30 (9d8+45 with surge), compared to GWM alone dealing 6d8+45 (12d6+90 with surge) and having a good chance of getting another attack.

You don't seem to have a fucking clue how the system works.
>>
File: 1474468123900.png (127KB, 400x551px) Image search: [Google]
1474468123900.png
127KB, 400x551px
>>53883969
Newfag or retarded? None of this is worth typing out and half of it is literally wrong.
>>
>>53884024
read the post before mine particularly
>>53883425

Which is what i was discussing
>>53884034
No need to be rude when you don't understand what is happening my dude
>>
>>53883883
Doesn't answer the combat style question.
Paladin is the main class so it's happening either way.
>>
>>53884061
>Let Duel-Wielders make extra bonus action attacks with extra attack. So 4 at level 5.
>At level 11 Fighters have 3 Attacks
>Then 3 as a bonus action
>6 Attacks
>Action Surge gives an extra action
>9 Attack

So where does 12 attacks come from?
>>
>>53884076
Thats what fucking "Renewed bonus actions" means which is why i called it "Fucking stupid" or at least meant to

the guy originally said give them a extra bonus action to attack when they get a extra attack
so action surge refreshes your extra attacks
So it would also refresh your extra attacks extra bonus actions right?
which is why i was trying to point out in 5 levels the barbarian is already being beaten and will be beaten for the rest of the game by a duel wielding fighter
Not even counting his incredible chance at getting crits with fucking 12 attacks
>>
Opinion question for /5eg/, I'm not a hugely experienced DM and I have a player (not a That Guy, but definitely plays more 5e) who's been given access to a single Wish from a grateful djinni he saved as an optional sidequest while the party was on an excursion to the City of Brass.

He'd like to use that wish to get himself a Blessing, out of the DMG section on "alternate rewards".

Any opinions on whether a wish would be reasonably able to accomplish that without getting "insufficient power" or "perverts your intent"? I don't want to screw him over on the wish (and the NPC certainly has no reason to try), but I'm wondering how overpowering the blessings are, versus how strong wish is, since it'd be kind of like a free +2 to an ability score, +1 AC/saves, Advantage on saves against spells and magic effects, etc.

They're 8th level right now, if that makes any difference.
>>
>>53884135
+2 to an ability score that isn't their main one 'You're already too wise/charismatic/etc for me to help with that' seems fair enough, though.
>>
File: Krk-KuugaRPF.png (49KB, 144x274px) Image search: [Google]
Krk-KuugaRPF.png
49KB, 144x274px
Would you let a ranger expand exhaustion for a guarantee hit with adventage?
>>
File: 1496298772173.png (448KB, 1167x698px) Image search: [Google]
1496298772173.png
448KB, 1167x698px
>>53884209
There is so much wrong with this sentence.
>>
For a Halfling beast conclave ranger (Wolf rider), should I go with STR+Lance or stick with DEX and shortsword?
>>
>>53884135
The blessings are not that bad if you fix them up a little bit but if he spergs out about it just remind him its your game
The charms are temporary and what he probably wont go for if he's smart
Land or medals are not really within the djinni's right to grant but you could allow it
And then the thing you have to say no to are "Epic boons"
Because they are meant for level 20+
thats about it thought they are pretty tame for everything that isint epic boons
>>
>>53884209
How in the fuck do you explain this in game?
he aims so hard he bursts a blood vessel in his eye?
i dont see how you can exhaust your self in 6 seconds
>>
>>53884209
>guarantee hit with adventage?
>expand exhaustion
What the fuck are you talking about.

Are you okay? Having a stroke maybe?
>>
>>53884219
There nothing wrong with wanting the higher of 2 20. I thought guarantee critical might be a bit too much.
>>53884249
Blood rush and your nerve go on overdrive. For a few seconds your sense spike up and you notice the world around you slow down.
>>
>>53884308
What fucking language are you attempting to communicate with?
>>
>>53884308
In answer to your question, no, that's a stupid idea.
>>
>>53884237
>>53884191
I had no intention of epic boons and told him that he had to be 20th level for them but could hold the wish until then if he wanted to try wishing for one.

Instead he specifically wanted a blessing of his choice rather than one of them, but based on his character he'd probably go with either +2 CON (takes him to 22, he's variant human with 2 ASIs in CON), the Valhalla horn one, or Advantage against magic. He's a Bear totem barbarian.
>>
>>53884308
so your telling me by whatever level your characters are
They are fully able to control their bodies to the level of the amount of how much fucking Adrenalin is going through them and how they can over-load their neural system (which doesent even make sense)
No no i would not and nothing you have said makes any sense
>>
>>53884225
Lances have d12 damage, each die progression is about +1 damage. So +3 damage over short sword, but you start with only 14 STR.

Basically yeah, I'd just use a lance and suck up the starting -1 Atk and Dmg for +3 damage each attack
>>
>>53884308
You don't get hoter people moneys.
>>
>>53884343
well then you are safe my dude for the epic boons at least

But the Valhalla horn was one of the ones i was thinking that if he did take it needs to be tweaked make it like the initiation to a quest instead of just "you now have spectral fighters on your side" make him prove that the forever warriors of Valhalla will even have a reason to pay attention to him
make him do something crazy as imo the spirits of Valhalla are pretty crazy about one thing
Battle
Make him fight a completely unwinnable wave style fight see how long he last and at the end (as long as he doesn't sperg the hell out in and out of character) and then have the warriors give him a pat on the back and reward him with their servitude in battle also in the hopes that one day he will join them in Valhalla as well
>>
Anyone know if theres a list of legendary weapons with sentience in D&D?
My searches just land me in various homebrew wikis.
>>
Are there any monster with flyby for beast conclave, other than Owl and Pteranodon?
>>
>>53884414
If not Whelm, Wave, Blackrazor, the Sunsword, or the Sword of Kas, then generally I think most sentient magic weapons are homebrewed
>>
>>53884477
Yeah.
Those'll be a good place to start anyway.
Some options or templates to base a hexblades patron on.
>>
>>53884362
People can will thing into reality with their mind, so why not. I believe 1 minute is enough of an overdose. I think I will also give it +pro ac and double ability check and saving though while it still activated.
>>
>>53884530
What in the fuck are you attempting to say
"Will things into reality" i mean yeah you can meditate you telling me he can fucking do that in 6 seconds flat? what is this guy a fucking level 10 monk? if so sure let him whatever its your game

But besides that + pro ac? you mean + to ac? cause thats ridiculous your senses dont get sharper if you just will your self into having more Adrenalin (which i still dont get how you think you can just do) would make you do things faster in order to dodge
And doubling ability checks
Are you ok over there man? do you need a fucking medical check up
>>
>>53884530
Jesus christ, fucking utterly terrible.
>>
Speaking of Extra Attack, why are Fighters the only class that gets more than one extra attack? It seems weird that the other melee classes like the Barbarian don't get this as well, especially since Fighters already get to inflate their stats and amount of feats anyways.

Admittedly, Barbarians have their Rage for extra damage, but Fighters have superiority dice or more crits, too.

I get that Paladins don't get extra attacks since their Smites scale pretty well I guess, but barbarians are supposed to be the high risk/high reward frenzy fighters. It doesn't really feel like their damage at later levels reflects this.
>>
>>53883825
>spinning quarterstaff & shield good
>main gauche and niten technique don't real
>actual fighting
>>
>>53883974
I tried it out in the Death House adventure in Curse of Strahd. That disadvantage really really helps with the shambling mound boss
>>
I'm a class with only light armour and simple weapons but I've got 16 STR and I sorta want to use it.

Is Weapon Master feat worth itN
>>
>>53884619
Paladins and Rangers both get a damage boost at 11. Paladins get +1d8 to every attack they make and Rangers get something depending on their subclass.

Barbarians, some Rangers and most Monks get a defensive ability at 11.
>>
>>53884653
I'm going to guess Warlock or Mystic. In both cases no, just use a Mace if you have to pretend to be a melee character who's gonna die.
>>
>>53884671
You ignore all the support these casters could get

Like Mystic can use Brute Force and hit for +2d6 damage.
>>
>>53884693
the difference in damage dice still isn't worth the feat.
>>
>>53884693
You're gonna need INT for your class, STR for this weapon and DEX for your AC. Plus CON and WIS for living. If you want to play a melee mystic then be a Soul Knife, Avatar or Immortal. Otherwise you're better off pumping INT and using your Psi points on control.

You can run into melee yes, but you're going to be torn to shreds pretty soon. Certainly isn't going to be worth taking a shitty feat.

If you really must do it then use a dagger and pump DEX.
>>
>>53884619
Barbs are utter masters of the "when i hit you i hit you hard" fighters however have a choice
Hit a lot of times and spread the damage out
or just got with multiple attacks and a 2 hander which results in (if you are champion) a surprisingly high rate of crit which can result in fun

i think your base 2 hander fighter still barely out damages a barb once per rest while a barb is doing some pretty crazy shit the entire fight

for instance half orc barb with half orc aggression and GWM and 20 levels in barb and 24 strength
4 attacks (2 regular 1 bonus frenzy and 1 from reaction
8d6+1d6 from half orc aggression + 28+16 (from rage) and the 28 is strength +40 from Gwm
Thats on average about 110 damage a round (yes fighters can do more) but if you crit you crit Hard
Thats the barbarians thing they made it pretty well its for the people who dont exactly care about the full min-max and just want to hit things really hard
At the very least they are really strong early on if you get a good starting strength
>>
Is it common to let low level players take a feat as well as the stat points at fourth level? I've seen it suggested in a couple places.
>>
>>53884725
>>53884706
What if you have a reliable way to get advantage on attack rolls? You could be a sort of flanker

Not necessarily a frontliner directly
>>
>>53884743
If they didn't take variant human it might help if you want to add flavor to their characters
After all that's what feats main purpose are show how your character is specialized
>>
>>53884749
Your talents will always do more damage then weapons, it's barely worth it on Mystics built around melee because you can hang around launching 2d10+INT Psionic blasts all day long or 2d6+1d8+STR damage at 8th level.

Mystic doesn't really do melee well, certainly not as well as it does range.

Also how are you doing to be a Flanker? As soon as you enter there threat range you'll take an OA when you move away or waste PP on teleports.

Hello you, found a new group?
>>
>>53884653
One of the most useless feats.
>>
>>53884797
I'm playing a Warlock. I'm just asking if it's worth getting proficiency for those casters for future reference.

Imagine you hang around in the back, and you use your spells or powers all day long; then when there's an opening instead of wasting any resource you just run in. Or maybe you can justify it being for self-defence?
>>
>finished a campaign
>ended at level 20
>the whole campaign was very centred around rebirth and that kind of thing. At the end, all of our characters got rebirthed as something new, to be brought back together in a different time.

Now, my GM is an absolute madman, and let us keep our stats, ON TOP OF getting 10 point buy to bump up necessary stats.

I was a Barbarian in the last campaign, with 20 Con, 18 Dex and 20 Strength.

What do I do now? Go for something stupid like a muscle wizard, or do I just go fighter for that ultra stupid megapowered asshole who can kill anything?
>>
>>53884851
You do more damage with better effects wasting no resources.

Also I don't believe it's not you but that doesn't matter, I'm giving real information to help you here.
>>
>>53884851
The problem is that EB is better than running in 99% of the time.
>>
>>53884871
Excuse me what?
>>
>>53884875
So I should just make a build around EB?

Fuck me for picking STR.
>>
>>53884901
You should have good charisma anyway.

Your only choice if you want to use strength is to use hexblade pact and pact of the blade and use all your invocations on becoming a bladelock. Probably still not as good as EBing, but eh.

Or to multiclass immediately into paladin and stop wasting time on warlock if you're not getting shillelagh since shillelagh makes you use charisma.
>>
The warlock looks like a really fun class to play.
>>
>>53884901
Unless you really build for it, it's just not worth it.

You _can_ do it, but it takes more resources to get online.
>>
>>53884934
It is if your dm isint one of "those" dm's
Ya know the ones who fight you over everything and throw hard enemies in the attempt to "challenge you"
As long as you got a dm who knows what d&d is really about
then yeah warlock has good flavor good potential for whatever he evolves into and as long as you get some short rest in a session you are good to go
>>
>>53884949
Bad racials. Certainly wasn't getting DEX. I guess I'll just be really good at athletics of a caster? Just feels like a waste now.
>>
>>53884974
Approach it from the defense end, and get a full plate.
>>
>>53884991
Am I even supposed to be survivable as a DEX-less caster? Now it sounds like any dork with a bow can shoot me and my shit AC.
>>
>>53885010
well, you can out-range them, but yes, having no DEX is shit on a light armor class.

Which is why I suggest you grab heavy armor and shield from somewhere (1 level dip in cleric or beg your DM for rebuilding the first level as either fighter or Paladin).
>>
How do I make good use of pact of tome?

We rolled for stats (because we happen to find it fun), so I got a pretty wonky setup of
7 strength
8 Dex
17 Con
16 Int
10 WIS
18 Cha

I decided to go Warlock, and made myself a clutzy little thing, who prefers not doing too much physical work. A book felt fitting, given the intelligence, and the idea is that a pact was made with the promise of "An incredible healthy body!", which came at the expense of strength and Dex, because Fey are assholes.

I am getting my book next session. What do I do with it? How do I use it to maximum effect? I have bought myself a pretty book as a prop, so I am quite set on making this interesting.

I already have EB. So what do I look for in cantrips? Damage seems pointless.

What about the rituals? How do I make the most use of that, and how do I even get them? Pray that my GM is nice, and hands them out? Get help from the other casters in the party?

How do I focus my invocations on it? More than just the rituals, I mean.

I really want the book to be the centre of the characters abilities.
>>
>>53884971
Yeah, my group is comprised of my close friends. There're no That Guys and there're no autists in the group. And my friend, the GM, is pretty good in giving us agency.

>>53885010
Get armor proficiency feats.
>>
>>53885037
Well, if you want to melee, you can grab shiellagh and a blade cantrip. Spamming Guidance is also pretty good ("I remember reading that you need to lift from the legs, not the back!").

It'd be best if you could somehow get your AC up.
>>
>>53885087
Not going melee. That is like, the opposite if what the character is build for. Even with the Con, I would die too fast in melee.

Guidance seems like a good idea. Any control that can help my AC? I will probably pick up armour of shadows, just because I really can't afford to have a negative AC modifier. In the end, I think I will just have to play around that, and stay out of combat if possible. We have 3 melee guys in the party, so hopefully I can get away with being the tiny little unnoticed Warlock in the back, until it is too late to engage on me.
>>
>>53885165
Take Agonizing Blast and spam EBs whilst staying behind your wall of meat shields.
>>
>>53885032
I mean does a +2 DEX to AC really does thst much in the end?
>>
What enemies or challenges should I put my level 1 adventurers up against?
>>
What's a good feat for Wizards? I was thinking Warcaster
>>
>>53884731
But you can also make your half-orc a Fighter, and he'll outdamage the half-orc Barbarian because the half-orc Fighter will get to use his Savage Attacks twice as often (assuming Champion).

Thing is that Fighters have access to all the same weapons, they just do 2-4 less damage per hit which isn't even that much (2 extra attacks more than makes up for this).

I think Rage damage should just be higher. +2 damage is fine at level 1, but Fighters get this for free due to fighting styles (Dueling is a flat +2 in damage, and Great Weapon Fighting also adds a bit more than 1 damage per hit). Maybe it should be +3 already at level 5 and cap at +6 or even +8.
>>
File: 1467753220705.jpg (280KB, 727x1028px) Image search: [Google]
1467753220705.jpg
280KB, 727x1028px
A post in the last thread got me thinking. How unbalanced would this be? I know the spell point system exists, but this could be an alternative.

Slot Transmuting:

You can change the level of your spell slots by combining lower level ones or reducing higher level ones. As an action, you can change a spell slot as you see fit. Spell slots created by this feature must be of a level you posses.

When combining lower level slots, you must use a combination of spell slots that equal the spell level of the higher one. For example, if you were a 7th level wizard, and you still have two 1st level spell slots, you can combine them to make a 2nd level spell slot. You could also make a 3rd level spell slot by combining three 1st level spell slots, or a 1st level spell slot and a 2nd level spell slot. If you wanted to, you could make a 4th level spell slot from a 1st level and a 3rd level slot, or two 2nd level slots. But you couldn't create a 5th level spell slot until you gained one at 9th level.

When reducing slots, you must create an amount of new slots which levels match the slot used. For example, if you were a 9th level wizard, you could reduce a 5th level spell slot in to any of the following: a 1st and a 4th level slot, a 2nd and a 3rd level slot, two 2nd level slots and a 1st level slot, two 1st level slots and a 3rd level slot, or even five 1st level slots.
>>
>>53885165
This remind me so much of a concept I have been wanting to do for a while.

A little girl Tome Warlock. Old Ones as the patron.

This little innocent girl getting her hands on powers far beyond her understanding, getting a strange book with a text that nobody else can read, which gives her hints and helpful information for guidance purposes.

Just full support. Eldritch blast with repelling blast for the flavour of almost scream-blasting people away from her, but otherwise just a lot of buffs and control spells. Rituals as the creepy sort of "the book told me that doing this would keep us safe!" rituals.

Asp sad the concept will never see actual use. Several reasons, including
>GM likely saying no before evem listening to it
>Fellow players not role-playing at all around it, and likely just ignoring it completely
>me not being able to carry the role-playing part well enough to do it justice.
>>
>>53885387
>Hey, how would it be to steal the Sorcerer ability and give it to wizards?
Kys/10
>>
>>53885301
It looks small but you are going to get attacked a lot.

Also, with +2 DEX you can use medium armors optimally, so that1s a thing.
>>
>>53885368
Yeah i find barbarians strange in that way
There main thing is "my main stats are str and con i hit things hard and can take a lot of damage even if i dont wear armor im hard to hit"
But fighter can do it better by just being a classic fighter man
Barbarian- walks into battle in a tribal garb with a great axe made of stone a branch from a elder tree
Fighter- Full plate, Maul, 4 attacks, 8 if action surge crit on 19-20 , if half-orc can crit more,
one thing i like though is bear totem barbarians
>>
>>53885405
>hey magic lolis and tentacles
kys
>>
>>53885436
>tentacles
No?
Since when is old ones = tentacles?

And how the fuck is that the first thing you think about? Get your mind out of the gutter, you sick fuck.
>>
>>53885405
>>53885165
Planning on also going GOO warlock, and fluffling the repelling and agonizing blast as tentacles reaching out to grasp enemies.
>>
>>53885405
Guy playing a girl, Ok in some cases
Guy playing a older girl, Sure why not if we are allowing the first one
Guy playing a small child or as the man before me called it a Loli, Not ok and the dm will 100% shut you down as he should

Dont do it it bodes only bad things and adds nothing to play
What about your original idea (TM) is so good it cant be applied to a 200 year old elf who failed at being a wizard because "i dont get your complex magical equations" and took the easy way out by contacting a patron and being sealed into a not so easy pact
>>
>>53885387
>Let's just make a load of level 4 spell slots and polymorph all day
>Laughing wizards.jpg
>>
>>53885322
Goblins and Kobolds seems to be classic.

>>53885417
Frankly, this.
>>
>>53885463
You are legitimately autistic and should get out of your sheltered basement, if you haven't heard of the "creepy little girl" horror plot. That's like one of the most common things ever.

That can't be replaced by an old elf. It is the "child with a completely lack of comprehension of what is happening" that makes it unnerving.

I dont see why it couldn't just be a boy though. They are just as creepy. No real reason to make it a girl to be honest.
>>
>>53885456
>ones = tentacles
What is Chtulu
>>
>>53885540
>They are just as creepy
None of it is very creepy to me
It's just like seeing a retard with a gun. It's problematic, not 'creepy'.

Oh wait. Yes it's creepy. Because TENTACLES.
>>
>>53885543
1 of a million different "old gods" you could choose.

It doesn't even have to be Cthulhu mythos. Old Gods can refer to pretty much anything.

And even if it was, who give a shit? Tentacles are old as fuck, and outside of freaky weebfaggots like yourself, most of us doesn't consider tentacles to be remotely related to erotic shit.
>>
>>53885560
>None of it is very creepy to me
>meh you are all plebs
>get on my level
>I keep forgetting you normal humans scare so easily
>Nothing is scary to be honest familam
>fedoratipping intensifies
>>
>>53885540
Yes, classic Horror Child Plot Hook.

Now tell me how it's traveling with a group of mixed heritage, ideals and classes while still holding onto its so called "creepy" factor.

What I see, as a player and as a DM, is a neckbeard wanting to play a little girl.

There goes the group visiting a Brothel for laughs. There goes any nudity, intentional or hybrid in nature.

Does the Child have reduced, shitty stats? (Nothing greater than 10.). Reduced movement speed? (20ft max. It's a kid)

Or are you trying to play a "Child" with the full benefits of an Adult character?

I'm not buying it. Get out.
>>
>>53885574
>implying I'm a weeb
>not just a guy pointing out the obvious combo
But the truth is, your idea is shit because it's simply NOT SCARY.

If anyone is scary, it's the patron, not the 8 years old.
>>
>>53885429
Yeah, they can take more damage, it's true. Half damage from almost anything, and with advantage on dex saves (which they get almost always) can quarter a large amount of spell damage.

But still, your average Barbarian will get hit far more often than your average Fighter, so that probably evens out. While the Fighter takes full damage, he'll also have an AC of 18-21 whereas the Barbarian will probably be stuck at 15-17 most of the time (14 DEX + 20 CON in a best case scenario). They do have a very high potential unarmored AC at level 20 (a ridiculous 24) but very few Barbarians will be able to max Dex. Not to mention Reckless Attack giving all enemies advantage if you choose to use it.
>>
>>53885540
Ah yes sorry im a idiot
Let me just slide this creepy 8 year old who has made a pact "Some how" with a elder being and not just been gibed and died

And let me throw that into a party of your average people
Ya know a lawfully good paladin
Ya know a chaotic evil rogue
Ya know a fucking any party comp because none of them fit this characters style your average dnd game is a fucking mixture of light politics some weird shit involving magic and mostly combat and loot
Im so sure a fucking 8-12 year old girl who throws searing rays of hot lighting at people is gonna be EXTRA CREEPY when it comes to this game
>>
>>53885596
>"child with a completely lack of comprehension of what is happening"
>that makes it unnerving.

Literally how

Maybe you're the anime anon

ANIMU SMIRK
>instant spoppy
>>
>>53885622
Sorry, max AC is 22, not 24 (+5 DEX, +7 CON).
>>
>>53885630
even then though you can still make fighters better at not getting hit
Eldritch knight full plate + sword and board + the shield spell
lot of fucking ac
>>
>>53885560
>Yes it's creepy. Because TENTACLES.
You'll have to explain this to me.

How is it creepy? And dont use "Japanese porn" as the explanation. Most of my group has a very little understanding of what that even means.

Legitimately what is wrong with a child, remotely related to Cthulhu mythos, and the implied tentacles somewhere on said gods, that she is garantueed to never meet?

Hard mode: it has to not be something that would be relevant whether or not the character is a Warlock. Mindlayers exist, and can present in any campaign.
>>
>>53885653
Here is where you've given him the opening to say "you are all idiots" and magically reveal this deeper layer to his back story he spent 20 minutes writing
>>
What would a character with 4 int look like

Does anyone have any cool ideas for a sorcerer with 4 int
>>
>>53885669
would work way better as a npc
Like a fearl "i have no idea how i make fire balls but i do" guy but not like he can communicate it
Like a magical attack dog to be released on enemies
>>
>>53885653
Hey maybe make your character a little mindflayer

That actually sounds kind of humorous.

"Do not touch me, I have seen forces you cannot even comprehend!"
"I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BRAIN FROM YOUR DECAPITATED HEAD IF YOU PAT ME ONE MORE FUCKING TIME"

Ensue silly face tentacle shenanigans.
>>
>>53885605
Your reading comprehension is terrible.

Reply to the actual poster, and not the anon who just chimed in with the obvious, that should be common knowledge to literally anyone who has watched a horror movie these past 20 years.

But to answer the initial question: the book told the kid to do it.

As for the "nudity" - that's not a problem if it is a boy in a full male group, and not a problem if there is another woman character in the party she can stick to.

As for the brothels, that... That is actually sad. Like, jezz. I think I would actually leave to get some fresh air or something, and let you ride your cringe train by yourself.
>>
>>53885626
>no u reply
Jesus Christ just ignore and move on. If you dont have a proper reply, don't bother.

Literally watch any of the big horror movies from any given year since the shining.
>>
Anyway it seems STR is the most useless shit for a caster that isn't dead-on specialized on melee damage and afford to multiclass.

Even if your racials give you STR bonuses... Sounds like shit.
>>
>>53885742
And none of those feature a child that got no clue what she's doing. All of those feature ghosts, monsters, evil little babby spirits, but not clueless children.
>>
How the fuck did my post derail the thread into this?

I even said it wouldn't work. How are people flying into such an autistic rage over it? Take your meds and calm down, nobody is playing tentacle lolis.
>>
>>53885773
>Hide and seek
Just to name 1 example.
>>
>>53885761
Yeah, your proficiencies basically lock you into what equipment you are using, and that locks you into which stat out of STR and DEX you are better off with. Feats for better armor/weapons are prohibitively expensive.
>>
>>53885774
Because you made such a autistic character idea and most of us said in response "wow thats pretty gay and wouldn't work at all" but sombody decided to back it or multiple people did and now its all gone to shit
>>
>>53883444
>gimmicky dual wielding

You bet your ass it's gimmicky. But how else is my Paladin supposed to blow as many Smite dice as possible per turn.
>>
>>53885685
>Like a magical attack dog to be released on enemies
Wanted to play this character for a while, a Jungle Dweller who's barely capable of living without having what is basically a tard wrangler but becomes a snarling, all 4's running, magic throwing savage in combat.

Maybe a Shifter Druid or a Sorcerer. Can speak and gets along with his handler, but dislikes everyone else and gets up to mischief when he can.
>>
New player here.

As a lvl 1 Monk with a quarterstaff and bonus unarmed strike after attacking with a monk weapon am I doing 1d6+DEX+1d4+DEX or 1d8+DEX+1d4+DEX or what?
>>
>>53885800
Depends on how "xd random" you get with it and how "he doesnt understand hes a jungle person" you get with it
And how "removed from society" you want to make it
Like legit 4 intelligence? yeah you are gonna be tard material but you cant roleplay with the pc's at all you can chime in on things you want to do in quest you are basically a dog in a cage waiting for things to happen
Pretty much why i said it works best as a NPC it doesnt mesh well for a player character but it depends on how you play it
>>
>>53885722
> and not a problem if there is another woman character in the party she can stick to.

So you want to play a little girl who has issues because you want to self-insert the parenting issues that you've missed out on as you did as a child.

Yes, that won't be creepy at all. Latching onto another party member so they are forced to play overprotective lovey dovey mother who screams SHE DIND DU NUTHIN! at every logical outcome that slanders the "Creepy Child" plot hook in full blown adventurer action.

It amazes me how you people can develop such a stupid as fuck idea. It doesn't work in any scenario outside of weeboo neckbeard territory and any DM who would allow this, god forbid, should probably burn their material.

>inb4 off topic related insults to feel empowered, because children these days can't argue with logic and facts.
>>
>>53885387
>>53885417
>>53885477
For all spellcasters. Wizard was an example.
>>
>>53885831
Yeah, I'm not the 4 INT guy but it sparked it in my mind.

Maybe even perfectly intelligent, just doesn't like cities and society. Accepts orders on what to do from other party members and will only act out if he can do so without getting in trouble.

Issue I have is that's getting a bit too magical realmy for me and my Pet Play fetish and I don't want to drag that into the game.
>>
>>53885790
So I'm locked into Light until I get medium proficiency which I should not get. Wonderful.
>>
>>53885841
inb4
>muh creepy girl its such a good idea
But yeah basically everything this guy said
>>
Is a bite attack always a strenght attack?
Even if it's in the racial rules, can't you treat it as 'unarmed', and therefore finesse?
>>
>>53885887
Unarmed is not finesse.
>>
>>53885887
Unarmed's never finesse, even Monks don't have finesse punches.
>>
>>53885792
>"wow thats pretty gay and wouldn't work at all"
As I said in my post, this isnt something *I* could ever make work.

It could work, but only in a very specific group, and with a player that certainly isnt me. I know 1 chick who might pull it off, because she can be terribly good at making unnerving characters. Usually only likes GMing though.
>>
>>53885866
It's best if you can multiclass. Warlock scaling is not great anyway, and your best feature, eldritch blast, levels with your character level.
>>
>>53885863
don't allow another pc to be the handler and make sure your dm understands that "yo dude dont get weird with this"
This is defiantly one those concepts you talk out before hand like who the fuck is your handler? government issued got a fucking thing to inject you with incase you get lose? basically it has to be discussed before hand but yes it can be a interesting thing
at the very least a good addition to a party in the way of role playing as the "Non shelant evil guy"
only in the fact that when players are torn up about a thing they need to do you pretty much have no problem just killing them i mean its the way of the jungle and all
>>
>>53885899
While it's not technically finesse, it's mechanically the same.

But yeah, what he said, unless you're a monk, or have some other ability or item that specifically allows you to use dex for an unarmed attack, then that unarmed attack has to use STRANGTH.
>>
>>53885908
yeah i know what you said
The fag who defended you is in turn who we were all got real mad at for the whole
>muh creepy horror movie girl though hehe xd
but anyway back to real topics like magical attack dogs
>>
>>53885937
No fuck that i'm still mad at that faggots idiocy, let me keep laying into him every time he replies. >:(
>>
>>53885937
So like. Magic Hulk then?
>>
>>53885955
more like asura when he got his super ultra mad mode
(still does mostly punching in this though)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmP1CplcO20
>>
>>53885982
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3SeOmCWXhg
This one is actually way better at getting my point across skip to about 10:20
>>
>>53885841
*Shrug*, I got the idea from Hide and Seek, your consistent "animu" spamming doesn't make much sense to me, but I dont watch it in the first place, so I don't really know how common/uncommon it is in weeb land.

But nah, nothing about self insert. It is a character concept I would love to see played right, and evolved over the course of a long game that spans several years. I am too used to seeing characters that literally doesnt change over a 1 to 20 campaign (outside of getting more cocky, or becoming even more of an edgelord, which is always shitty character development.)

You cant tell me you dont have concepts that you'd love to see played well, but dont want to play yourself. This is exactly that kind of concept.
>>
>>53885918
Maybe something akin to a powerful Geas spell? Cast by something much more powerful then regular and so I can't actually talk about why I obey commands.

Which would work well with Warlocks but I despise them mechanically. Maybe a Sorcerer or Cleric? Literally meant to be used as a tool of war and obeys direct commands about combat in order to stop any weird shit happening. Could be good for if I wanted to play a violent Evil character who can be called off if the party thinks I've gone too far.

>>53885953
I need help with my magic attack dog though :3
>>
>>53885842
Sorcerers already does that.

You are just distributing sorcerers class shtick and giving it to everyone for free. Woo fun times for all, and even less reason to go sorcerer.

Might as well hand out meta magic as well. No point in keeping it on a class literally no one would ever bother using with a homebrew like this.
>>
>>53885933
>>53885899
>>53885897
Gay af

So I'm left with STR bonuses and natural attacks I can't land.

And also Light armour

Hmmmmm
>>
>>53886033
What race are you? Why not chose something even slightly better for your class?
>>
>>53886007
while you are trying to make this thing a actual pc im in my head making it a npc because its such a better idea then making it actual abide by PC rules
But yeah you will have to gimp the idea quite a bit to make it playable, maybe even make the handler the main reason behind his intial "low intelligence" the collar he wears or somthing is either a geas or just a "make you stupid" machine
sooner or later your character gets through it being a high level sorc or the collar gets damaged and you communicate with one of the pc's who learns that you are being forced to be a tool of war instead of a actual living person
They will probly help you because most people feel bad about slavery
and then you kill your handler or escape from him and then you are basically a fully fleged pc
to make the idea work you have to be very not evil about the evil things you do
The whole "its the way of the jungle attitude" would work well
like its not that crazy to just be like "well we could just kill him" every party kinda needs that guy as long as they dont always resort to "yeah lets just kill him"
Beyond that its all up to you
>>
>>53886052
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/A_Fidget_Spinner_(5e_Race)
>>
File: Crane.jpg (114KB, 787x815px) Image search: [Google]
Crane.jpg
114KB, 787x815px
>>53886103
So this... Is the power... Of dandwiki... Woah.
>>
>>53886103
Not seeing any bite attacks in there m8
>>
>>53886127
But ya anyway it's a homebrew race. +2STR, -1DEX,+1 CON, bite attack and rampage. I like not making it about optimization however so that I didn't make the obvious warrior out of this.

Still that's why I wanted melee fighting, because, the idea was more about how the racial background is typically warrior-hunter, and so a newly made Warlock would come from that already a bit of a fighty kind.
>>
Is there a homebrew system for crafting mundane items?
>>
>>53886220
i believe it was you can work 8 hours a day and make (it was either 8 gp or 10 gp) per day for every man you have working
also a dm might request you have a smiths kit before you try to start creating daggers out of nothing
>>
>>53886197
Holy shit your character was raised around a bunch of beefy warriors and turned out to be a huge NERD.

I kind of like that sort of conflict between a character and their race, though. Going against the norm of an entire species is always a cool way to generate some intimate conflicts.
>>
>>53886220
Check "Unearthed Arcana: Downtime"
>>
>>53884343
>(takes him to 22, he's variant human with 2 ASIs in CON)
I wouldn't be too worried about making him more powerful if he's gimped himself by going con over strength. Even if he rolled and got 18 strength from the start he could have gotten much more out of those ASIs.
>>
>>53886256
Yeah but in the end he can get shot to shit without DEX and never gets to use even his bite attack (or rampage, which is really good) and I just realize that now. I wondered if there was a possibility to capitalize on bite / rampage to be viable even as a warlock, maybe if I convince the GM to let me use another melee enhancer such as pack tactics.

So I think it's either that, and I'm a really easy to hit hard-hitter warlock that does both spells and slaps, or I just decide to rework it and I make him only good at standing in the back, dodging and blasting. And I'll always feel bad about my unused 2d6+STR / +10ft natural attacks.
>>
>>53883355
It's not RAI if you're attacking with it one-handed.
>>
>>53884008
Play it to your character, if he is a bit selfish, driven by greed, covets those shiny things, by all means keep it. He did all the legwork so it's only natural he would feel entitled to the rewards.
Explain this to your group and dm, and if it remains a problem, I would say it's up to the dm to smooth things over as he put you all in that situation, so I think you should prepare for a time of not seeing any shiny new swords appearing.
>>
File: 1489728960873.png (55KB, 457x433px) Image search: [Google]
1489728960873.png
55KB, 457x433px
>>53886242
>>53886266
Interesting. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Now to convince my DM to implement these things...
>>
>>53886220
Page 187, PHB

You can create nonmagical items, creating something with no more than 5gp market value per day. To make more expensive items, you can, over time, add that 5gp per day to equal the value of your desired item.

Or, if you're going by UA, you can craft items up to 50gp in value in a single workweek.

All of these assume your character has proficiency in whatever tools are required, and access to the raw materials needed.
>>
>>53886341
most are pretty accepting with unearthed arcana
The words "its wizards very own play test material" usually bode well in their minds
especially the ones who have seen terrible shit like demon-kin home brew races
>>
>>53886341
Odd there no option for it being stolen goods.
Legal hijinks ensue.
>>
>tfw realize a name for a location in my game is super fucking lame
>real_dm_problems.jpg

going "woah let's retcon that" next session would reveal my skewed priorities, and i can't gaslight my players about it because it's literally written in the pregens i gave them
fuck, this is triggering my autism.
>>
>>53886443
>Players get into town
>NPC asks them how they fared traveling in <insert new name of place>
>Characters go "what? You mean <place that is horribly named here>
>NPC goes "Nah that's a name the other town tells to stupid foreigners to have a giggle at them

First session dm'ing, didn't do nearly enough prepwork, came up with the name "Treein Woods" on the smelly wafts of a brainfart.
Not my brightest moment.
>>
>>53886443
Maybe a new leader came about and renamed it.
>>
>>53884008
Well, did the DM expect you to share or not? I think it would be best to listen to what he has to say.

>>53884209
At high levels I might give out a magic item allowing this once every long rest, but if someone just asks "hey DM can I do this" in the middle of some random battle, I won't allow it.
>>
>>53886275
Gauntlets of Ogre Power from Lost Mines of Phandelver keep him at STR 19, he's at 15 normally, but I'll keep that in mind.

What about the other two, the advantage against magic/spells or silver horn? Strong, or not really much of an increase to worry about? I'm more worried about the magic resist than the silver horn, since he can only do the latter once every 7 days.
>>
>>53886503
You'd be surprised how quickly players get used to those names. After arriving in the city of Nonamé just Near the Blank Woods, we all had a good laugh at my lack of creativity. Then a sessions later we're using the names quite seriously and only think of how stupid it is when we tell other people about it.
>>
>tfw I want to play a Half-Orc Champion next game
Tell me why I shouldn't
>>
>>53886570
Cause you'll have an underbite and smell funny.
>>
>>53884135
There is no IC 'standard blessing', so if he just asked for a blessing you can give him pretty much anything you want to, as long as it's somewhat divine-themed.

Maybe he can elect to deal his regular damage or radiant damage with all attacks, and he is resistant to radiant damage.
>>
>>53886580
I have an overbite and smell funny, so what's your point?
>>
Anyone running single-player campaigns?
>>
>>53884008
The DM is in the wrong here because you shouldn't do all that shit solo. The DM is likely handholding you if you didn't die a horrible death doing all of those things. Either that or you basically stole the loot for what other did.
Either that or the other players are really, really dumb, or their group nature slows them down.

Generally, a single player can get WAY more stuff down than a group, but is in at least ten times the danger. If your DM doesn't put a danger, the DM is just giving you free stuff because a single person can do so much more in a session.

In any case, you're not in the wrong entirely but you should, for the better of everybody else's experiences, have something that causes other players to get some of your stuff so that it makes sense in-character.
If your character gets into a pickle and is saved by the others and hands over some of the stuff he doesn't need, if he goes through some sort of experience that makes him decide 'huh, money is kinda stupid, after all' especially if you're not playing a randumb CN considering that chaotic goes against the principle of money somewhat or.. Even so much as having them sign something in order to get the items, so they're like your mercenaries now.
>>
>>53886537
He said it was up to me. They don't even know I have the gear IC. They are Metaing my item Cards.

This is all from an OOC standpoint, I haven't even reunited in-game with them yet. Nor, honestly, am I really planning on it anytime soon. I make more Money/XP away from them in Waterdeep, and I've improved my Lords Alliance by an entire Rank already.
>>
>>53886517
the name is actually a ruined village, and there's another location with a dumb name, which is a mountain. so, unfortunately, no dice.
i'll keep that in mind for future fuckups though!

>>53886568
that's actually kind of reassuring to hear.
>>
>>53886570
As long as you're not gonna be one of those 'hurr I'm an 8 int orc watch me be stupid hurr' guys, sure.
Play it like a kling-on or something.
>>
>>53886647
What if a new group of people moved in and rebuilt the ruined village? Then it'd be no effort to attack it again and make it a ruin again, perhaps even elaborate some sort of curse in that location.
>>
>>53886627
It's the group as a hole. They Shoot first, ask questions later.

We busted a Thief Cartel in Waterdeep, had the boss put away. His business and his associates are still looking for us. Instead of facing the problem, group decides to travel south for "Epic lootz" they heard about.

The Remnants of said Cartel weren't that much. I had to fight 4 hobgoblins and roughly a dozen bandits. 2 Bugbear Bodyguards, a wizard/Rogue/Fighter trio of Dopplegangers.

I have 21 AC from my equipment [+1 TWD, +1 Fullplate, +1 Ring], like I said, I know I'm item driven at such a low level. (I'm 6.)

I almost died twice and had to burn any supplies I had before I got all of that loot. I had 11 gold to my characters name prior.

I'm aware the DM may have made it easier and as a DM myself, I was looking and listening to roll modifiers, how much it took to hit things, how much damage I did, etc. I didn't get the feeling he made it easier... but at the same time I wasn't expecting him to make me fight an army. He isn't "one of those" DMs.

I appreciate the reply, I really just wanted a second opinion. My character is a guy who tried to do the right thing yet always got fucked over, but realized that just doing what helped him was a whole lot easier and more rewarding.
>>
>>53886197
>take pact of the blade
>have all your teeth pulled out
>summon your teeth as a pact weapon

Make it happen.
>>
>>53886660
oooh, i'll go with that.

>characters arrive in what should be a ruined village full of [monsters]
>there's actually like, ten people living there, trying to rebuild the town
>"welcome to [new name]!"
>wait isn't this [old name], according to the map
>"nah. we're starting anew. we decided [oldname] was fucking stupid and we're trying to find a better name. not all my buddies like [newname] though"
>"tell you what, some [monsters] hiding in the ruined ends of town are pretty much blocking our efforts. if you guys can kill 'em all i'll let you all pick a new name for the town."

genius.
>>
>>53886705
>They Shoot first, ask questions later.
That's a problem I have with my group. They're ostensibly chaotic good, but they try to kill everybody they see even if it's abundantly clear that somebody isn't evil or is being possessed.
>>
>>53886705
Well, I guess it makes sense.

Still, it sounds like your DM could have played enemies better. Multiple enemies versus one player can easily fuck you over by grapple+shove and, if allowable, disarm after that. Your AC doesn't save you from grapples.
As a DM, I've had no armour, no weapon creatures manage to overwhelm a player like that. If they just fought normally, they'd easily lose, but by coordinating and surrounding one player they can easily cut out their chances of fighting.
The best part about that? They then don't even have to kill the character. They can chain them up, loot them and sell them off or use them as a slave and the rest of the party can come save them.

But if you burn consumables and action surge and all that and make the fight not so one-sided right at the start it should work out.
I'd generally expect a utilitarian or a stealthy character to do best for looting, considering they don't have to fight in the first place if they're careful.

So yeah, I can't really say for sure, but what I do know is DMs should be a bit wary of letting people do too much aside from flavour and backstory in solo adventures. It can be kinda annoying when someone comes back with a load of stuff and you question if they truly earned it, whereas in a group at least you all got the same DM's benefit.

So yeah. Just remember that even if the rest of the group sucks, they're still players looking to have fun. Build up a reason to compensate their characters sometime.
>>
>>53883681
You can still wear plate without high enough Dex. A wood elf with the speed penalty is still as fast as a dwarf.

>>53883680
I'm not sure fighters actually would break things in that circumstance. There's just a limit to how many attacks I'm comfortable with rolling every turn. It slows the game down.

>>53883767
>it's kinda cancerous.
That's why 4e made twf a damage bonus with only certain powers making multiple attacks.
>>
>>53883845
Not really, but versatile weapons do work on a grappler, maybe with Defensive style, who needs a hand free to grab or can deal a little more damage when that's not appropriate without wasting time donning/doffing shields.
>>
Okay, I want to play a caster-type with a bow, but not a Druid or Ranger.

What's my best choice?
>>
>>53883932
There's also the entertainer background. The book clearly says there are mundane bards.
>>
>>53886898
Be a Valor Bard. A Skald with a Longbow.
>>
>>53886898
Something like Ezreal?
>>
How do you feel about dwarves with body modifications?
>>
>>53886898
Either >>53886915

or use the UA warlock with the bow-smite.

>>53886827
>That's why 4e made twf a damage bonus with only certain powers making multiple attacks.

as always, 4e did it right
>>
>>53886898
Arcane Trickster Rogue?
Or, if you want more focus on the bow part, Arcane Archer Fighter?
>>
File: 1497652125384.gif (550KB, 728x720px) Image search: [Google]
1497652125384.gif
550KB, 728x720px
How are conquest paladins from http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UAPaladin_SO_20161219_1.pdf ? I was thinking of playing one in a game. Or maybe treachery.
>>
>>53886898
War, Tempest and Death Cleric are all god fits. In fact I believe the traditional weapon most commonly associated with gods of plague and disease is the Bow. So a Death Cleric or a rot god could be cool.
>>
>>53883296
Monster Hunter Rogue, obviously.
>>
>>53886898
Why not a High Elf Wizard?
>>
>>53886955
Pretty good imo for a party fit
The flavor is a bit weird id suggest letting your dm look at it first because i agree that bel should not have a cult or people hes sending power to
Hes too busy fighting the blood war
Would be better if it was just a oath like all the other oaths for paladins
>>
>>53886562
Yeah the horn is very reasonable, magic resistance depends on how much you use casters and such against them but is probably going to be quite powerful. Especially for a barbarian, his weakness is probably going to be control spells and such, making him much better against that is dangerous.
>>
>>53884135
Djinn are the fire guys so maybe something like once per long rest when you use your bonus action to rage you gain the effect of the searing smite spell without having to maintain concentration.
>>
>>53886916
No, I mean a real physical bow.

>>53886945
I thought of it, but isn't it basically geared towards dual hand crossbows? That doesn't float my boat. What floats my boat are proper bows and heavy crossbows.

>>53886915
Is Valor Bard actually good though? Seems way too geared towards support role. I gotta check out the spell list though.

>>53886966
Hm, I'll need to look into this.
>>
>>53884105
>said give them a extra bonus action to attack
No, the guy said
>make extra bonus action attacks
As in extra attacks on the bonus action. There's no reason to turn that into extra bonus actions.
>>
>>53886984
Hm, which school? maybe even bladesinger?
>>
>>53886955
We got a Conquest Paladin of Kossuth in our party. He's pretty bro most of the time, but when he fights he's ruthless, and doesn't stop. Even after the enemy is dead he has to stick around and make sure the rest of their forces are routed, surrendered, or at least intimidated. Then he goes back to being a bro like none of that ever happened.
>>
>>53886990
> dual handcrossbow
You can't even do that anon. Two-weapon fighting rule said "light melee weapon".
>>
>>53887019
yeah i phrased that werid sorry
we are on the same page that he ment it was "every extra attack generates a bonus action to be used for a off hand attack" right?
>>
>>53886990
>Is Valor Bard actually good though?
The best thing you can do is weaken your enemies and anything that gives Advantage to your allies, gives it to you as well.

There's also the fact you can take Swift Quiver as a level 10 spell and make 4 attacks per round with a longbow. Basically Bards do gishes and archers pretty well.

I do second Death Cleric as another option, some people posted about Disease gods and bows ages ago. Plus out of all Clerics it's kinda forced into a DEX build more then most.
>>
>>53886990
>I thought of it, but isn't it basically geared towards dual hand crossbows? That doesn't float my boat. What floats my boat are proper bows and heavy crossbows.

No, not sure what gives you this idea.

>Is Valor Bard actually good though? Seems way too geared towards support role. I gotta check out the spell list though.

You can just poach Swift Quiver from Ranger, and do it more often to boot.
>>
>>53886743
Grandpa warlock.

>sooo mortal you wish for my power?
>yes i want to shove the damn kids off my lawn once and for all
>>
>>53886990
How about an arcane bow that you have to summon, and the projectiles are spells and summons?
>>
>>53887037
Necromancer if you want to also have skeleton archers raining down arrows upon your enemies.
>>
>>53886626
Not as a primary campaign, but..

I have a group of 4 people, and we have 2 weekly games. One is the group together, another is a solo session with one of the players, rotating every week.

It is quite fun. Not sure how it would work as a primary campaign, but considering the work they get done during these solo sessions, I can see how it could work out quite well.

They are very good roleplayers, however, and they are supreme at knowing the ins and outs of their characters. This one chick who strtedafew weeks ago asked maybe 10 questions in total, and uses everything her class has to offer quite well (Rogue, thief archetype, so not exactly light on options), so I am blessed by actually intelligent players.

I cant imagine doing this with my last group. They would suck at it, and we wouldn't get anything done during a potential solo session.
>>
File: spine sword.gif (966KB, 500x231px) Image search: [Google]
spine sword.gif
966KB, 500x231px
>>53886743
get on my level
>>
>>53887053
Mechanically it would probably be to change extra attack from
>you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.
to
>you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action or make an offhand attack on your turn.
No bonus action generation, just extra attack making you get 2 instead of 1 offhand attacks as a bonus action.
>>
>>53887050
>>53887066
I remember a discussion about dual handcrossbows being not only a thing, but practically the best of any crossbow build, cause of some shenanigans with the Arcane Trickster, allowing it to make lots of attacks.

>>53887076
Sounds like something that requires too much homebrewing.

>>53887082
I gotta be an elf for that I guess, since wizards don't get proficiency with bows.
>>
>>53885817
Fluff it as a kick and I would let you use a 1d8
>>
>>53887129
yeah thats about what we ended up at
And we agreeded that it was pretty broken but only if and the one exclusion was if you second winded did all your basic attacks refresh on the new row of attacks
and if they did it got crazy you were way above most peoples damages at 10th level and had a 19-20 crit chance it just got crazy
>>
Can I ever get an "advantage" on spells that target saves?
>>
>>53887139
>I remember a discussion about dual handcrossbows being not only a thing, but practically the best of any crossbow build, cause of some shenanigans with the Arcane Trickster, allowing it to make lots of attacks.

I don't think that's true. It's a thing for Fighters definitely, but Rogues rely on single big hits so it ill suits them.

>Sounds like something that requires too much homebrewing.

Be Sorclock, say your EB is a shot out of a bow. Done.

>I gotta be an elf for that I guess, since wizards don't get proficiency with bows.

Elf is top tier choice for wizard anyway.
>>
>>53886988
Djinni are Air.

Marid are Water.

Dao are Earth.

Efreeti are Fire.
>>
>>53887139
Whoever have that discussion with you doesn't know his shit.

1) As preciously mentioned, Two-weapon fighting combat option only work on "light melee weapon", hand crossbow is a "light ranged weapon".

> When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you’re holding in one hand, you can use a Bonus Action to attack with a different light melee weapon that you’re holding in the other hand. You don’t add your ability modifier to the damage of the bonus attack, unless that modifier is negative.

2) After the errata on "Ammunition" weapon quality, you need a free hand to pickup and load your ranged weapon (not to be confused with "Loading" weapon quality, that you can eliminate with Crossbow expert feat).

> https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/PH-Errata-V1.pdf
> Ammunition (p. 146). Loading a one-handed weapon requires a free hand.
>>
>>53885165
False life is pretty good and might be a better choice than trying to salvage your AC.
>>
>>53887169
Crossbow expert hand crossbow build will still out damage anything, because bonus action to attack is that good. And sharpshooter +10 flat damage is crazy.

For Rogue, it's either an extra chance to do sneak attack, in the case you miss you first attack or extra 18.5 damage.
>>
>Light armour is shit
>Medium armour proficiency would give access to 15AC
>It's an increase of +3 max over light armour, and +1DEX
Is it worth the feat, Anon?
>>
File: Gotrek.jpg (1MB, 1492x1496px) Image search: [Google]
Gotrek.jpg
1MB, 1492x1496px
>>53886940
Depends on particulars.
Tattoos? Sure.
But piercings, implants? Probably not - they like to keep things practical.

But hey, what do i know. Surface dwarves are probably more open to this kind of stuff, since life on surface is generally easier than under ground.

Also, Gorrek Gurnisson
>>
>>53885456
>old ones = tentacles?
Evard's black tentacles, but I didn't think of that until he said something so lolitentacle-anon is probably the pervert this time. Your post actually didn't give me that impression.
>>
>>53887252
I lost an eye last session. I cut a rather large diamond and stuck it in my socket.
Since I'm a forge cleric I'm thinking about shaping some gold coins and setting an emerald or something in the middle, so I can have a golden eye.
I feel moradin would look favorably upon that, since dwarves were made from metal and gems.
>>
>>53886570
Champion is one of the most boring character options in the game. If you know what you're getting into (boredom), go nuts.
>>
>>53885669
>What would a character with 4 int look like
Most 4chan shitposters, for one.
>>
>>53887298
Ooh! I like that! I hope you lost it in some epic fight for greater glory of dwarvenkind.
>>
>>53887338
That's what the 4 stands for.
>>
>>53887171
Crap my bad i always get djinni and efreeti mixed up
>>
>>53885773
Poltergeist?
>>
>>53887353
I lost it in the underdark fighting myconids.
I mainly want something cheaper for an eye since the rogue is always trying to steal it when I sleep.
>>
>>53885817
1d8 if you use the quarterstaff two-handed, which you should.
>>
>>53887383
...seriously? Stealing someone his gem - eye? Unless you swallow that, there is no safer way to keep it! Why does he even try that? Ugh!
>>
> Beast conclave
> Guild merchant background
> Find familiar from Magic initiate / Ritual Caster

How many animal is too many animals?
>>
>>53887383
that's why you go for the pirate route and get your treasure enchanted so when someone tries to steal it their balls fall off/hands catch fire/eyes explode etc.
>>
Barbarian seems really bad, rage only gives +2 damage (most people don't plays over level 6), no fighting style, can't even rage half the time. If you do get to higher levels you get "brutal" criticals, while the fighter is doing 3 attacks/turn and the paladin is adding 1d8 every attack. Barbarians only redeeming quality is damage resistance.

Am I missing something?
>>
>>53887495
Advantage on hit
>>
>>53887482
>>53887383
Talk to the DM about getting the gem cursed with a powerful Command spell to "insert" which will force anyone who picks it up to jam it into their eye socket, whether they have an empty one to spare or not.
>>
>>53887511
I just sent him a screenshot of your post.
>>
>>53887482
Advantage on the most common saving throw in the game.
Advantage on initiative.
Advantage on attacks (which also improve your critical hit chance)
>>
>>53887511
insert seems a bit broad
>>
>>53887511
Command wouldn't work. Geas do though.
>>
>>53886985
>>53887041
So they're fairly decent mechanically then?
>>
>>53887383
What does losing an eye impose? Disadvantage on perception and ranged attacks?
>>
>>53887495
Damage resistance is pretty big. Plus if you are a totem barbarian you can get other weird benefits during rage. Stuff like flying, disadvantage to all incoming enemy attacks against allies, knock prone as a bonus action are the big ones. Bearbarian during rage is fucking invincible, Eagle gives disadvantage to opportunity attacks, Wolf gives your allies advantage on attacks.

Frenzy does stuff too but no one plays Frenzy.
>>
>>53887572
We really haven't gotten to that part yet. I lost the eye, had the rouge pop it out with his dagger, I dressed the would, then the session ended.
>>
>>53887552
It was the best word I could think of in the moment. If you have a fake eye, and magic forces you to "insert" it there's only one logical place. Maybe if you succeed on a medicine check you can stick it in your mouth instead and save yourself.
>>
>>53887611
what about up your ass though.
>>
>>53886955
There's a more recent UA that revises their features, so you know.
>>
>>53886443
Play on it. The town has an horrible name, and all its citizens are very aware of it. They might be angry at whoever decided to gave it the name, especially if said fucker is still alive and the town used to have a completely average or even good name before that idiot conquered the land and decided to give it the name of his pet dog. Get creative.
>>
>>53887568
decent mechanically. just make sure you can mesh it with the party, because a lot of their themes are very evil. at the very least make sure you direct it at evil people.
>>
>>53883296
>gay Elf

no need to be redundant, anon
>>
>>53887637
If you succeed the check but only by one point you shove it up your ass in a panic.
>>
>>53887673
maybe Geas would be better then, because it makes everyone do the same thing, which is insert the diamond into your eye socket. for the dwarf who is missing an eye, this is no problem. for the rogue who still has that eye, it is a problem.
>>
>>53887699
Yeah that makes more sense.
>>
>>53887053
No. I'm on the "when you use the bonus action to attack, extra attack gives extra attacks," page.
>>
>>53887657
Well with his allies I intend for him to be a good man, loyal, and dedicated to them. Against evil, he seeks to be an unrelenting force and unstoppable in his desire to slay them. We're gonna be going up against mostly evil sons of bitches, so the groups going to be fairly okay with slaying them relentlessly. Those who surrender receive mercy according to their wrongdoings.
>>
>>53887740
yeah, that'll work. he'll be very overzealous and constantly on the cusp of being "Religious zealot accidentally becomes the bad guy" but certainly, a brutal yet still good paladin would work.
>>
>>53886898
Bard.

Pick up swift quiver when you can.

>>53886955
Play it, and play it 'purge the heretics/chaos' style.
>>
What is the best build for a Swashbuckler/Hexblade Bladelock?
>>
>>53887241
If you want the AC, yes. If you have a free hand you can use a shield too.
>>
>>53887759
Zealous and dedicated, but not against mercy in the right situation. But mercy does not come easy, and he would be ready to end someone even if they surrender. Mercy is not always kindness, and sometimes the most merciful thing to do is ending evil.
>>
>>53887777
Hexblade(1 or 5)/SwashbucklerX
Either you dip, or you go until you get extra attack.

In any case, you're an UA multiclassing faggot.
>>
>>53887791
well, yes. mercy would be "not killing someone, but frightening the shit out of them so hard that they never consider disobeying you or the law again"
>>
>>53887638
Oh, I see it now. Is the revised one better? It's fear attack is tied to a direct action rather than an attack action.
>>53887809
Right.
>>
>>53887796
Is there something overpowered in that multiclass?
>>
>>53887819
I haven't really compared them. I think the new one's fear is an area thing.
>>
Points buy

Would you rather
a) Have all the 1-for-1 points you could buy, ending up with an array of mostly average stats and a few +2 because of your racials

or

b) Have some averages, some dumps and maybe a +3 in your main attribute?
>>
>>53887823
it's the principle of the thing
>>
>>53887869
I guess? I only abide by that rule when there is something unbalanced in it. Like the Nuke Druid.
>>
>>53887865
I generally just have my players do the standard point buy but I also had a fun game where I gave them an array of 18, 16, 12, 10, 8, 6 to use. Characters having glaring weakness can be really funny.
>>
>>53887973
I'm just not certain at all about whichever is better, math-wise. Shouldn't I just wait for levelling to get my +2 and +3?
>>
>>53887973
>Letting players start with 20 on main attribute
>>
>>53888056
It was for a one shot and it was a lot of fun having the inhumanly strong retarded barbarian, the hyper intelligent autistic wizard, the mostly blind master thief and the World's greatest lover with no immune system
>>
Any reason to have STR and DEX at the same time?
>>
>>53888114
>World's greatest lover with no immune system
that ended badly didn't it.
>>
>>53888143
Unarmored Barbarian? Having a 14 in Dex would give you +2 AC
>>
>>53888152
He dropped to dying in 3 out of the 4 fights we got in and was nearly killed by an irate drunken husband for obvious reasons while in town.
>>
>>53887865
I usually do a) to the point of my character being worst in group.
>>
>>53888164
But isn't that a conflict with the fact that you use STR for hitting?
>>
>>53887865
1 for 1 is useless because most classes don't need more than 3 attributes
best way to do it would be 13, 13, 8, 13, 13, 13 then go human
>>
>>53888219
So you're saying it's actually not something you'd recommend?
>>
>>53888143
Ranger
>>
>>53888221
So? You use DEX for AC and skills. Also, ranger weapons, if needed.
>>
>>53888221
You use str for hitting and dex for AC
>>
>>53887582
Calling Eagle barbarian 'flying' is kinda not true, since they fall if they end their turn in the air. Besides, you get the feature at level 14 or something, nine levels after the Wizard got his first Fly spell.

Frenzy does good damage at first but it's fucking shit because of the fatigue mechanic. Oh, so you raged 3 times before long resting? Better lie down for three days you stupid idiot. After that they don't get anything tremendously useful until level 14.

It's especially awful because a single feat (Polearm Master) gives you almost the same benefit, with the only exception being the lower damage die (1d4 vs 2d6 or 1d10). This might seem like a lot, but since you'll be running 18-20 strength and probably also GWM it's negligible.
>>
>>53888244
>playing spellcaster with a racials that heavily favour STR melee
kill me

I'm trying to make it work but kill me

Shouldn't be hard with my 12 AC
>>
>>53888191
I was talking about STD's but yeah that too.
>>
>>53888257
>>53888255
...What if I'm just a spellcaster with a racial +2 in STR

And I just wanna maximize my attributes at level 1 so I want to avoid 2-for-1 points costs
>>
>>53888221
So what? You mainly use STR for hitting thing and get +damage and better feat support. It also allow you to switch to bow when the situation call for it, so you aren't like those useless idiot you spend their turn doing nothing because "But muh KATANA can't hit flying enemies"
>>
>>53888282
Get some appropriate skills for it. Also, maybe a meele build, like a bladesinger.
>>
>>53888286
>muh KATANA can't hit flying enemies
That sounds like you got a story to tell
>>
>>53888297
Bladesinger isn't a melee class.
>>
>>53888282
Depend on what kind of spell caster you are. There is a reason why 8 INT meme dwarf wizard is actually a strong build though.
>>
>>53887796
Would you recommend the shield spell? If I got Booming Blade or Greenflame Blade any major benefits to getting to 5th level in Hexblade instead of just 1? Any innovations or spells worth getting for going to level 5?
>>
I'm about to start a new campaign with some beginners and some friends with a little experience.

Starting a campaign always seems the hardest. I was thinking of having the players start with traveling to town and ambushed by bandits. How do you guys feel about cliched beginning?
My justification is it starts the story with them fighting regular humanoids in a mundane yet dangerous situation. Eventually they'll end up fighting vampires and traveling to other planes and think "we've came a long way"
>>
>>53888282
>spellcaster
This doesn't mean much. Many casters are fine with strength. Which spellcaster?
>>
>>53888332
>meele build
>>
>>53888286
Technically it's possible to fling any of your weapons at an enemy. You just won't have proficiency when using it like that, and if you miss you're suddenly useless.
>>
>>53888352
Pray tell, how do you build a Bladesinger for melee?
>>
>>53888329
We were on a ship. We encounter a blue dragon. Do I really need to say more?
>>
>>53888365
How the fuck do you not? It's a Wizard subclass made specifically for melee. Are you trolling me or am I retarded?
>>
>>53888337
>>53888346
Warlock. But while I'm going for a full nerdy build my racials are retarded (for melee STR fights mostly). It a homebrew.

I just don't see the point of STR over DEX as a Warlock (and everyone recommended I invest in DEX like bad because I'm squishy) but at the same time investing in anything else would have me pay more points on chargen.

>>53888370
Yes
>>
>>53888412
Strength is for hitting people with two handed weapons and using medium/heavy armour.
Don't worry about your racials, just get yourself 14+ charisma, 14+ dex and 12+ con. Put the rest of the points wherever you want
>>
>>53888247
Well... Having that +1 INT and CHA wasnt really that big benefit on my cleric so far, but i would surely use that +1 attack and damage from raising wisdom or dexterity. I wouldnt recommend it, but still like it that way. I hate myself and being worst in group tends to feel right. But i guess that might be an issue.
>>
>>53888410
>Made specifically for melee
>The only archetype features it gets that aid melee are Extra Attack at level 6 and a small damage bonus at 14th

You fell into the Bladesinger retard trap.

It's an archetype that provides some useful features, but it's *horrid* at actually swinging a weapon; you're better off acting like a normal Wizard and using Bladesong as the defensive buff it is, without any illusions you should be hitting shit with your pointy stick.
>>
>>53888536
Stone sorcerer is what bladesinger should have been
>>
>>53888517
So I guess I'm gonna buy at least two or three 14's.
>>
Just discovered Oni in the MM. What creatures work well with Oni? They'll be on a ship though so no monsters that would stick out.
>>
>>53888412
Go tomelock and use CHA to attack with shillelagh
>>
>>53888536
So it's a melee build, but it's shit. I never said it was good, as I never played it. You acted like it was an archer build and I'm some kind of retard.
>>
>>53888606
Verily.

Bladesinger is just so badly designed.

>Light armor proficiency on a class with Mage Armor.
>Can't use shields.
>Gets Extra Attack, which doesn't work with the melee cantrips.
>Small damage boost that comes from what will be your tertiary stat (INT) if you plan to build for any kind of melee proficiency.
>Still fucking d6 hit die.
>>
>>53888740
I'm currently considering a suggestion to attack with summoned dentures since my race gets bite attack.
>>
>>53888719
Try to get +3 in your primary atribute if possible. After all, you roll for attack like 80% of cases.
>>
>>53888788
it has the same flaws as bladelocks, which is everyone tries to play them as tanks. They are not your front line, don't use them as such and you'll be fine.
>>
>>53888365
>>53888410
>>53888536
>>53888606
>>53888788
Blade singer's problem isn't that it doesn't have enough health or AC, but that it does give a load of AC and not enough reason to go into melee.
Sure, it's a 'bit' better for melee and better than typical wizard melee damage, but it's still not worth melee.
So bladesinger is basically a 'have some extra AC' and that's fucking it class.
You could already do that by level dipping one into cleric.
>>
>>53888831
Yeah, but you still have wizard spells, so you can just put on a mage armor and a shield, right? That should give you pretty good AC. Along with Green Flame Blade or other cantrips, it could be potent.
>>
>Party fights a sea hag
>Don't let us reroll against the fear effect every turn like it was supposed to be
>Made the frightened condition like an MMO fear effect: we run as far as possible from the hag and can't do shit
>Half of the party died or did nothing the entire fight
>He thought this would be fun
>>
>>53888871
kek, we just killed a sea had at level three (wizard, arcane trickster, barbarian party)

didn't even sweat it, she also had like 3 kuo toa henchmen
>>
>>53888871
I had to remind fellow players AND GM two sessions ago that the Frightened condition is "you cannot get closer and you have disadvantage, and not "run, run, and dear god don't stop running"
>>
>>53888825
No, no, no. It's as >>53888831 says.

They just have zero incentive to get in melee.

Bladelocks can put out the damage numbers. They're not amazing at it, but they can be competent - you build for it and have the class feature synergy to dish out damage and not die, which is what Warlocks are meant to do whether they do it with a weapon or with Eldritch Blast. Properly built they will do more damage than EB turrets, it's kind of a pain but it works, and at worst they're only slightly worse than a ranged Warlock.

Bladesingers on the other hand have no real reason to *want* to get in melee. They should be acting like normal wizards, staying back and using spells.
>>
>>53888853
If you could even put on armour other than light armour with it, the class literally could have said
>Level 2: You get +Int AC and advantage on concentration saves and +10ft speed permanently but only with light armour
>Later levels: You get nothing.
And the class would be almost exactly the same.
>>
New thread >>53889015
>>
>>53888932
>Bladesingers on the other hand have no real reason to *want* to get in melee. They should be acting like normal wizards, staying back and using spells.
that's not entirely true, there are several good short range spells that a bladesinger would have incentive to use thanks to their higher AC, such as burning hands and color spray, sure those aren't melee attacks, but they are reasons to get closer to the enemy.
>>
>>53888853
That just makes you a shittier Arcane Trickster, and as if you had no 6th level archetype ability.

Look, there are two ways you can go about Bladesinging: either you have good INT, or you have good DEX.

If you have good INT, then your DCs are good, you're a goddamned wizard, why are you getting into melee? Your to-hit with weapons is poor, just cast spells.

If you have good DEX, then your DCs are crap. Why are you even a wizard? If all you'll be doing is cast diceless spells then that makes you a shitty EK/AT. You'll be sacrificing competence for the first 12 levels just so you can go "aha, I might have been crap at fighting before, but now I can cast 6th level utility spells like a proper wizard in addition to being crap at fighting!"
>>
>>53889059
This is true and good. The argument was against them using weapons.

Bladesong and other archetype abilities are good and useful buffs.
>>
>>53889070
>If you have good DEX, then your DCs are crap. Why are you even a wizard?
>hasn't heard of the 8 int wizard
>>
>>53889097
Except not color spray, that's trash.
>>
>>53889119
not if you use it correctly, it's a closer not an opener.
>>
>>53889142
I take that back, I just read the duration.
>>
>>53883497
Is it any more nonsensical than the longbow (which requires massive strength to use) being firable by a strength 3 character or a level 4 barbarian surviving falling from the stratosphere by getting angry just before he hits the ground?
>>
>>53883270
are we doing it wrong or are rogues OP?

They can go in stealth mode after each attack, even when they are in a room with other people? People who have seen them before? Yesterday I had to stab one of my players' character with a spear and just leave it in to bloody see the guy...
Thread posts: 382
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.