[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

death

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: You-Died.jpg (16KB, 575x350px) Image search: [Google]
You-Died.jpg
16KB, 575x350px
hows your dm or you as dm deal with death in your campaing?
>btw death in d&d
>also story time about how i died an quite my group
>>
>>53870671
>be a goliath
>want to get most glory possible
>get into an enigma donjon
>fuck yes i like enigma
>be 8 in group without DM
>group is divided in 3
>im alone with a fuck tard npc that is so fucking strong but miss understand everything
>>
>>53870754
>im the first one to find how to pass the first door
>took me 45 min to find out
>other group do the same fucking thing but in 15 sec caus they listened what i did
>now the group is divided in 3 so we can see each other in the game
>now we need to resolve the enigma with the ppl that are in our group
>the fuck tard npc is doing nothing
>take me another 45 min to figure how to pass the door
>group still fucking copy me an take only 15 sec
>3 door a npc is staring at us giveus a int
>the silence may be death
>>
>>53870865
>wtf
>npc is playing dulcimere
>other ppl around the table are bored as fuck cus im taking time to resolve enigma
>they talk loudly
>dont understand a dialog betwen the 2 npc
>the inter stop playing dulcimere
>the fuck tard npc give me 2 slash i die
>was supposed to make sound
>die
>>
>>53870671
I rarely kill characters in my campaign, but usually it's because the players don't do any stupid shit that would lead to them getting BTFO and I run super short campaigns since I'm running a system that I'm currently developing.

The one time I actually killed someone though, I did so because they claimed that things were "too easy" and through a combination of poor tactics (oh, a robot is climbing a rope towards me and I'm carrying two sharp ass cutlasses, obviously the solution is to drop a block of metal on its head, clearly) and poor luck where he somehow managed to fail close to a dozen rolls to save himself, to the point where I basically had to admit that he was dead.

He was butthurt too, but I don't regret it one bit.
>>
>>53870671
I try my best to provide reasonable challenge based on how powerful the party is and what kind of stupid shit they get into. I don't particularly try to kill anyone, but sometimes they do.

Sometimes they even get brought back to life, but it's rarer than them just dying to begin with, and rarer still that they manage to get back without some trouble or complication or at least a return favor to the priest or necromancer.
>>
I like how you narrated it as if you were as smart as a goliath
>>
>>53871237
wrote it fast an english isnt my first language
>>
>>53870671
It's not really my job to deal with death of a player's character. It's something that players need to deal with and to make it memorable.

I just steer with NPCs that are tied to that character in the most appropriate way. Some may mourn, some may be happy, it really depends. The death may be epic or plainly stupid, depends on the circumstances, no hand waving on my part.

I guess the proper answer would be: I just continue with the game.

Well, in settings with gods and shit (when there is a clear finale to deceased, not hidden by the lore) I try to sum up character's death quickly to play the last scene where he is judged, meets his deity etc, but only if the character was overall liked by the players, me or participated in a lot of sessions. I even resurrected one character after one such scene.

The problem may arise if the player doesn't have an idea for another character and doesn't want to play one of the NPCs for that one session.
>>
Stood trial before the representatives of the afterlives (generally unique, mid to high tier outsiders) for the chance to return to the world as my prey was messing with the natural order and I died early to stop part of that. The party was summoned to assist my endeavors petitioning the representatives to gain the majority needed to come back.
>>
File: 1403285974840.png (2MB, 1318x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1403285974840.png
2MB, 1318x2048px
I got one-shot by the devil's concubine because I called her a whore that had to settle for demon dick since no man would want her. I had almost three times any other character's wounds/tankiness.
So far I'm the only death in any of our campaigns.
>>
File: 1496294481874.jpg (49KB, 500x612px) Image search: [Google]
1496294481874.jpg
49KB, 500x612px
>>53870671
I tell my players upfront that the campaigns I run are lethal and resurrection only exists as the most vile and profane rituals in the world. Technically, a Lich has managed to "resurrect". Other than that, death is very final.

My only issues have been with players who refuse to believe NPCs should act like rational human beings, instead of video game characters.
Had a group get pulled into a tavern brawl. When the guard and local posse broke up the fight (with clubs and bats), by dragging the offenders into the street, one player drew his sword on a guard and was promptly shot down by two crossbowmen.

I will give my players every opportunity to survive, but sometimes you can't educate pork.
>>
File: 1435696381715.jpg (27KB, 386x600px) Image search: [Google]
1435696381715.jpg
27KB, 386x600px
In the current game I'm in, my character's been given a cursed artifact that won't let her die. Instead, if she dies, someone that is near her dies instead. This wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that she's also the party's healer.

So far, I've killed two NPCs, a random monster and have come close several times to almost dying near my party members.
>>
>>53870671

Death is houseruled to be a permanent condition. If your character dies, it dies forever. End of Story.
>>
>>53870671

My character died eaten by the BBEG transformed into a monster by potion after we:

-Infiltrated and purged his loyal servants from inside one by one after week of planning and trickery.
-Spread rumors of about his evilness across the city, his guards, and his servants.
-Discovered his entire secret plan.
-Convinced a refugee camp that he was planning to attack to move out after training them and preparing them for the travel.
-Tricked his heir, daughters, wife, fortune, most of his guards and servants to leave with us to marry someone else.
-Open the cells of his towers full of monsters and set them on fire that burned down his tower.
-He himself died attempting to rescue wathever in the tower.

The only fault in my plan was that I decided to open the cells myself instead of leaving it to someone more sacrificial, like the constantly drunk fighter. Lesson learned, never do anything risky by yourself, if you have someone else to do it.
>>
File: 005184s0.gif (124KB, 924x404px) Image search: [Google]
005184s0.gif
124KB, 924x404px
>>53870671
>hows your dm or you as dm deal with death in your campaing?
Good? Get reincarnated on progressively higher levels, culminating in heaven/nirvana/Valhalla. Bad? Go to Hell, but there's always the danger of escapes. Somewhere in between? Pic related. Yeah, is kinda vanilla.
>>
>>53871328
Well you did good.
>>
I kill all my npc's
>>
I accidentally killed a DMPC with my patented Bag of Fuck You.

I told the guy not to rush the vault we were breaking into. He did. I tossed said bag (full of poison ivy and an alchemists fire) in after him. I sealed the entrance. Everyone inside died of poison ivy in their lungs.

My DM was displeased, but I made sure that every one had been in on the plan. Every other party member had hung back.

DMPC died horribly and ressurection is Not A Thing in this world. As such, free at last! And though DM was temporarily bootybothered, he got over it.
>>
>>53879965
Though now I may have to deal with a Hungry Ghost pissed at me... And we have no casters on the squad.
>>
>>53870671
If you die in the game, I kill you in real life.
>>
>>53879965
If it was the DMPC, why didn't he just have him teleport or out, or say he was an astral projection or an illusion, or that he was immune to ivy and fire, or any of a million other things?
>>
File: 1497585053306.jpg (124KB, 736x1103px) Image search: [Google]
1497585053306.jpg
124KB, 736x1103px
I'm running a shadowrun campaign.

Mooks and throwaway NPCs can live or die without restrictions. Both the dice and story convenience can kill them off as needed.

Important NPCs can only be killed directly by the PCs, or if the story demands them to. They usually won't die to random happenstance.

PCs live or die based on their own actions and dice rolls. However, being shadowrun, PCs can effectively never die, unless the player wants them too, because in most cases they will have Edge left to burn.
So instead of being killed, they just acquire more and more crippling flaws until they either become unplayable, or their Player retires them.

Main villains work the same way as PCs. They can get fucked up, but unless their death would make a great story at this point, they usually can burn an edge and come back another day with some sort of disability.
>>
>>53880041
Maybe the DM wasn't a total tool.
>>
>>53880080
This. Guy's pretty reasonable. He liked that NPC a lot but not so much that he would punish a player about it. His reasoning was that the guy didn't really understand how AWFUL Galen is, and so went in hoping to prevent the deaths of the guards.

Instead he died. CN Rangers Ain't Nothin To Fuck Wit.
>>
>>53870671
>>btw death in d&d
Revivify
Death in DnD is less meaningful than death in DBZ.
>>
>>53870754
>>53870865
>>53870897
I don't even understand what the hell this story is about.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.