[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ruinstorm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 273
Thread images: 34

File: 919ODYGiY5L.jpg (521KB, 1400x2127px) Image search: [Google]
919ODYGiY5L.jpg
521KB, 1400x2127px
>Sanguinius, Guilliman and the Lion depart for Terra.
>Jaghatai Khan is already there.

Will we see finally the siege of Terra in 2018?
>>
>>53842403
>Deathfire
>Ruinstorm

Super shitty names BL comes up with these days.

By this point I don't even care about the Siege of Terra. BL will just turn it into a convoluted mess of derp like they did with the rest of the Heresy. The series sunk beyond salvage about two years ago.
>>
>>53842403
>Siege of Terra
Literally never.
We'd rather see first how Big E effortlessly destroys Horus and then gets somehow his ass kicked by Abadoobadoom for whatever reason.
>>
>>53842403
>Will we see finally the siege of Terra in 2018?- 2 posts shown.
I hope not. I hope I never have autists constantly reminding me of how awful the Siege of Terra could be after BL gets their hands on it.
>>
File: 3206525-emperor+vs+horus+(2).jpg (356KB, 903x1244px) Image search: [Google]
3206525-emperor+vs+horus+(2).jpg
356KB, 903x1244px
>>53842403
I don't want to mate. BL has decided to change everything about the HH. The last fight won't even make sense, since Empy got wrecked because he loved Hotus too much to fight back in the old fluff. Doesn't make any sense with their new fluff with him seeing them as tools, so we're gonna get another case of "CHAOS IS TOO STRONG YOU GUYS" and some asspull to justify Horus losing. At this rate I even expect Sanguinius to be wounded and not dead, ala Guiliman, so that they can bring him back.
BL writing books on the HH was a mistake. It should have been FW fluff only.
>>
>>53842403
God that art is shit.
>>
>>53842804
>some asspull to justify Horus losing
>implying we don't already know
ADB's made it clear that in their vision, Horus lost because Chaos wanted him to.

>>53842822
All the HH CG art has been as soulless as its fluff is awful.
>>
File: 1456664072184.png (160KB, 790x1700px) Image search: [Google]
1456664072184.png
160KB, 790x1700px
>>53842864
I know. But still. It's just a retcon so big it shatters the whole feel the setting had.

Before it was more akin to one of those greek tragedies in my eyes, with Empy trusting too much and Chaos being the absolute bad guy it is meant to be, with the fault being sorta on Horus, but not really, he fell because Chaos corrupts, shit happens.

With their new fluff, they tried to make Empy the bad guy, and a raging fedra autist at that. At some point you just start thinking "well yes of course people would rebel". It feels predestined, so the actual act of rebellion loses any and all meaning it had, because it was so blatantly obvious shit would happen. Much better tl keep it a "surprise" to really frive home the point of broken hopes and wasted potential for Humanity.
It is telling that even Chaos fans hate the new fluff.
>>
>>53843006
>It is telling that even Chaos fans hate the new fluff.
Funny you'd say that I am a chaos fan
>>
>>53842475
Deathfire is a mountain on Vulkan's homeworld. I believe its older than the HH series.

Ruinstorm is the name of the Waarpstorm that cut off Ultramar.

Now the question why is /tg/ full of newfags?
>>
>>53843006
>>53843006
>It is telling that even Chaos fans hate the new fluff.

Now we don't. Eat the biggest dicks.

And The Emperor is the bad guy. Properly the worst person to ever live(d) but the alternative is way worse. This is something that get hammered a lot in the HH series which you don't read.
>>
File: 20170616_204545.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170616_204545.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>53843076
>No we don't
The fluff's bad
>>
>>53843076
go away carnac
>>
File: 1483527499882.png (502KB, 958x882px) Image search: [Google]
1483527499882.png
502KB, 958x882px
>>53843076
Originally he wasn't. I think the Dark Imperium, even though it's a blook clearly intended as an ad for the box set, nailed that point in their new fluff.
He didn't like men but he would do (and did) anything for Mankind. Next thing you're gonna tell me he was a tyrant because he wasn't elected and therefore should be opposed at every turn?
Of course the new fluff portrays him as a bad guy, it's written with a Chaos bias so big it stopped being funny ages ago.
>>
>>53843208
Dumbass. In the same book, Girlyman is horrified at the inhumanity and monstrosity of the Emperor. He is coldness and cruelty made manifest.

He might love mankind (or the idea of mankind really) but he is utterly evil and his "love" is as toxic as Nurgle's love. It's no wonder that EVERYONE that knew him personalty thinks that he is a major cunt. Like EVERYONE.

And like I said he is a bad guy but the Chaos Gods are waaay worse. People who want to make the Emperor the abject good guy are just straight up retards who are missing the point.
>>
File: ten.jpg (70KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ten.jpg
70KB, 1280x720px
>>53843147
>The mighty Chaos Gods humbling a faithless cur who dared steal their flame, in the most triumphant way possible

Best fluff ever. Ten of of ten.
>>
>>53843044
School's out for summer.
>>
>>53842403
Hahahaha oh my god Sanguinius has Ojou-Sama curls ahahaha
>>
>>53843420
I can't unsee. I wish I could burn every HH book on the earth.
>>
File: YangRevealsHeHasPlanetBusters.gif (2MB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
YangRevealsHeHasPlanetBusters.gif
2MB, 320x200px
>>53843420
>>53842403
>and the lion dyes his hair blonde but not his beard
HAAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA
>>
>>53843282
old fag here emperor is malal
>>
>>53843438
What is he's dyed his beard black and his hair is naturally blonde.
>>
>>53843512
Eyebrows are blonde

I think you're right
>>
People actually read these novels?

I mean, Gaunt's Ghosts was an original story and Ciaphas Cain was really self-aware and funny. But why would anyone want to read about space eunuchs when you already know what's going to happen?
>>
>>53843571
>when you already know what's going to happen?
Because they retconned everything so you don't. Also those series came from the golden age of BL
>>
>>53842475
Sure is summer in here
>>
>>53843571
Read the first ones because I wanted to know the reasons different characters went traitor.

Still reading, even through the dumbest of the dumb bullshit (Fucking perpetuals? WTF?) because I started reading it and now I need to know how it ends.
>>
>>53843654
>now I need to know how it ends.
Horus dies and the Emperor is put on life support and the Imperium endures for 10000 years before Guilliman comes back to create a new status quo.
>>
>>53843686
Not what I meant and you know it.
>>
>>53843686
Still wanna read it faggot.
>>
>>53843282
He is horrified but the whole point of hi chapter is Guiliman doing 2 things:
Getting closer to accepting he may be a god (I love that passage because it shows every theory about Empy's divinity) and UNDERSTANDING why Empy did it, to in turn do it himself. He litteraly admits that he and Empy cannot afford to give the truth, since their burden is so heavy and the task so tremendous, and in his lie to the priest it's easy to see that he accepts the Emperor's ways, because you can't make an omelette without breaking any eggs.
The facts that Guiliman, even while pissed at the lies of the Emperor and the false love he showed, understands and reproduces Empy's methods shows that Big E was right all along.
>>
>>53843420
This is EXACTLY what I thought too. I even pictured the same character.

What the fuck was BL thinking when they allowed this cover to see the light of day?
>>
>>53843420
Yeah, those english curls are bloody terrible. He looks like an old grandma.
>>
>>53844211
>What the fuck was BL thinking
Ojou best girl
Sanguinius best boy
therefore
Sanguinius = Ojou
>>
>>53843438
I'm more bothered by the fact that he has a beard at all, and that he's using a fucking Chainsword.
>>
File: Untitled-1 copy.jpg (80KB, 878x546px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1 copy.jpg
80KB, 878x546px
>>53843420
>>53843431

Why GW?
>>
>>53842403
>2018
More like 2020.

>>53842475
>NounNoun
Shit.
>>
>>53842864
>ADB's made it clear that in their vision, Horus lost because Chaos wanted him to.
What the fuck?
>>
>>53843006
>It feels predestined
Isn't that actually Greek tragedy though, that the seeds of your downfall are rooted in your own actions?

Before, it was just that mankind and the Emperor were too weakened by their emotions. Now it's actually realistic, and the Emperor was actually the progressive utopian fighting against regressive, reactionary elements that worshipped stupid shit.
>>
>>53844361
I hope you're not talking shit about chainswords and your complaint is that the Lion is a knightly figure and his aesthetic is better served by a power sword.
>>
>>53844536
Yup. The Horus Heresy is being retconned into JUST AS PLANNED. But don't worry, GW has heard your cries. 8e will ensure that Chaos is not longer neglected and forgotten in the fluff. :^)
>>
>>53844612
>Isn't that actually Greek tragedy though, that the seeds of your downfall are rooted in your own actions?

Greek tragedy is indeed that your downfall is a result of your own actions and faults, typically something like hubris. So in these tragedies, if the hero was less proud, more wise, a better judge of character, had listened to good advice, or otherwise was able to overcome their faults and failings, then their downfall could have been averted. It is tragic because IF ONLY then the events that made the tragedy a tragedy would not have transpired.

Which is different from predestination because in that case, what happens will happen no matter what and you cannot change the course of events. It does not matter if you are good or bad, smart or stupid, wise or foolish . . . the course of events was set out already and cannot be changed.
>>
File: 1490625678357.jpg (526KB, 1536x1789px) Image search: [Google]
1490625678357.jpg
526KB, 1536x1789px
>>53844536
Pic related has some exagerations and /pol/ outbursts but it does summarise ADB's issues raised in MoM fairly well.

>>53844612
Yeah, guess you're right. I'll have to re-read what actually defines a greek tragedy to avoid talking shit.

>53844657
Yeah, my complaint is that the Lion has never been pictured with a chainsword before. Hell, the exavt same artist showed him with a proper power sword recently.
>>
>>53844726
>Which is different from predestination because in that case, what happens will happen no matter what and you cannot change the course of events. It does not matter if you are good or bad, smart or stupid, wise or foolish . . . the course of events was set out already and cannot be changed.

Which is what BL seems to imply at some points, like the "Chaos won" in MoM, as soon as Magnus breaks the Webway. I seem to remember some passages in other books where it is implied the Emperor planned the Heresy. Or have I let memes go to my head?
>>
>>53844657
He has ALWAYS used a power sword. Hell, Cypher is still carrying the damn thing 10 thousand years after the destruction of Caliban!
>>
>>53843282
>It's no wonder that EVERYONE that knew him personalty thinks that he is a major cunt. Like EVERYONE.
Malcador says hi, go screech autistically elsewhere please.
>>
>>53843420
>>53842403
HORUS LUPERCAL PLEASES OLD CHAOS GODS FOR MONEY OHOHOHOHO
>>
>>53844612
The Emperor as all of humanity's best and worst magnified is good.

The Emperor as "daddy doesn't love his kids and is horrible and evil and stuck up" makes it seem like the BL authors are projecting their own insecurities and psychological problems in childhood (perhaps their parents don't approve of their choice to write novels about little toy men?) onto somebody else.
>>
>>53843571
>But why would anyone want to read about space eunuchs when you already know what's going to happen?

Because with what they've done it's anyone's guess what will happen next
>Perpetuals
>Alpharius/Omegon
>The Cabal
>Immortal Vulkan

At this point I'm honestly wondering if the Emps is going to lose his physical body due to some bizarre plot twist and his spirit is forced to possess Garviel Loken in the final showdown with Horus
>>
>>53843076
>Now we don't
Yes we do. This new shit is awful, and being a constantly-wanked villainous mary sue is boring.
-Black Legion player
>>
>>53843282
Friendly reminder that he cries for every dead soldier and the custodes collect his tears.

He was still an autist though, and his utopian vision for man and understanding of the threat of chaos was fundamentally flawed.
>>
>>53845664
Iirc lion broke his sword over his thigh for being a lying autistic hypocrite to finally wrangle curze in the last book.

Actually that was one of the more enjoyable primarch fights. Poor curze is the asshole that's always right
>>
>>53847112
>Immortal Vulkan
This perpetual shit is the wierdest most jarring thing and is totally out of place in the universe. Like, why?
>>
>>53847197
I know that masochism is an important part of worshipping Dark prince but do you really prefer to campaign for little to no gain with no hope of achieving something?
>>
>>53847712
>Like, why?

I think it was concevied as a backwards rationalisation for why Vulkan and the Emps were immortal, but I think if they have Oll in the final battle it will ruin the original meaning, i.e. the futility of a lone guardsman facing down a chaos-empowered primarch but doing it anyway

But who knows, maybe Oll will pull some Marty-Sue bullshit in the end
>>
>>53843420
He has a magical girl staff too...
>>
>>53845664
Lion Sword is kill.
>>
File: 1442814040356.png (87KB, 684x576px) Image search: [Google]
1442814040356.png
87KB, 684x576px
>>53847908
F
>>
>>53847858
I prefer battles that actually have stakes, "hurr durr Chaos winz no matter what" is just plain idiotic. If a warband shows up on a planet and gets massacred, then Chaos has lost the battle and their patron god(s) diminish ever so slightly as their followers perish. At least, that's the actually interesting way to do it. You could also do an ADB and say that if the Imperium kills its enemies, they win.
>>
>>53848169
>I prefer battles that actually have stakes
We had it before and we lost every time. Greedy Wankers know that imperial fanboys are their largest customers that would get triggered as fuck Chaos won a major battle without massive losses. Before Gathering Storm we had no accomplishments whatsoever.
Regrettably we traded one status quo for another.
>>
>>53848261
>as fuck IF
selffix
>>
File: imperial guard conscript.webm (3MB, 696x528px) Image search: [Google]
imperial guard conscript.webm
3MB, 696x528px
>muh headcanon, muh feelings

Literally every HH thread.
>>
>>53847022
We know for a fact that ADB has daddy issues, since his was an alcoholic that beat his mom. Easy to presume others havr the same kind of problem and let their Chaos boner influence them too much. Just like how The Last Church is wayyyy too much of a pamphlet on how atheism is might and right and religion sucks.
>>
>>53848473
>Just like how The Last Church is wayyyy too much of a pamphlet on how atheism is might and right and religion sucks.

Was it really? Last I remember the Priest called out the Emps for being the last in a long line of cunts that disguised their ambitions in claims that they were only acting for the "greater good" of humanity
>>
>>53848403
i'm not even a /k/ommando and this was painful to watch

is this a comedy or is it real?
>>
>>53848550
McNeill is a huuuuge fan of Richard Dawkins, he even has a pic with him and all.
I'm all for the slow loss of interest in religions but damn that was heavy handed.

I think Haley did it better in Dark Imperium, even though it's only parts of the book. Guiliman's reflexions about the Emperor's divinity and actions are top notch and if every BL had that quality of writing, the new HH would be muuuch better, and the big change in Empy not liking his sons would have been more accepted.
>>
>>53848473
>We know for a fact that ADB has daddy issues, since his was an alcoholic that beat his mom.
Well, I feel kind of bad for him if that's the case.

Doesn't change that I think it's a bad decision to write at odds with pre-existing "canon" in 40k like that, but shit sucks.

I agree on the Last Church though, if only because I find it to be utterly terrible writing, it reads like an edgy teenager's argument for atheism. Dark Imperium did it much better with Guilliman's reactions to the Ecclesiarchy and Mechanicum throughout.
>>
>>53848684
Exactly.
>>
File: 1489377934930.png (322KB, 531x414px) Image search: [Google]
1489377934930.png
322KB, 531x414px
>>53848682
>McNeill is a huuuuge fan of Richard Dawkins, he even has a pic with him and all.
>>
File: old jack.png (75KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
old jack.png
75KB, 800x600px
>>53842403
>Sanguinius, Guilliman and the Lion depart for Terra
>1 primarch who fought at the battle of Terra accompanies 2 primarchs who were too far away from Terra to make it in time and who's imminent arrival was cause for Horus' failed gambit
>>
>>53848599
She's a russian reporter. Think she wasn't issued ear plugs. It's on youtube but I couldn't find a translation.
>>
>>53842804
>Doesn't make any sense with their new fluff with him seeing them as tools,
The perspectives seen of the Emperor are subjective. Christ.
>>
>>53849035
Why would Guiliman have a perspective of the Emperor like this then? He wanted the exact opposite when he met with him after 10k years, he was looking for a real father, like Konor Guiliman was for him. Instead that's when he discovered Emoy didn't actively love him.

Is it good, is it bad? That depends on what you like. However, I don't think that the excuse of "the Emperor's perception is subjective" can be used, since BL seems very keen to retcon the Emperor as a cold, calculating being, making it nigh impossible to argue that Empy can genuinely love and care about someone as well. Haley is one of the few to counterbalance that well with Guiliman admitting to himself in the end of Dark Imperium that the Empero's methods was justified. In the beginning, there's this whole emphasis about truth, protection of life, yada yada, but at the end, Guiliman sees that ruthlessness, cold logic and lies can achieve a lot more sometimes, and that leading the Imperium does not leave room for sentiments.
>>
File: 1460433460676.png (64KB, 168x184px) Image search: [Google]
1460433460676.png
64KB, 168x184px
>tfw we will never see the awe, beauty and terror of the siege of Terra from the perspective of a mortal, or even marine
>we will never read about marines and guardsmen fighting days long battles in the orbital defenses against Daemons and worse
>we will never read about the confusion of the battle on the ground, under the shadows of the Titans
>All we will ever read about is the perspective of a few exceptional individuals killing nameless mobs and fighting the occasional boss battle with a foregone conclusion
>>
>>53849342
Yeah, I think that should've been the entire basis of the HH series - literally just the view of how things panned out from ground-level spess mehreens and Imperial Army units. Though to be devil's advocate I honestly don't think it would be half as popular if it stuck to that route, with the primarchs making fleeting appearances
>>
>>53849436
If done well, anything goes in my opinion. The best BL aren't always the ones you expect. But they're always well written.
>>
File: 1486534054726.jpg (149KB, 709x765px) Image search: [Google]
1486534054726.jpg
149KB, 709x765px
>>53849509
>The best BL aren't always the ones you expect. But they're always well written.

It might just be me but many of the short stories are imo superior to the book-length ones, maybe it's because they don't have to deal with the primarch bullshit in those
>The Final Compliance of Sixty-Three Fourteen
>Distant Echoes of Old Night
>The Last Church
>>
>>53843076
>And The Emperor is the bad guy.
yes, the individual who puts the suvival of mankind above all else, is the bad guy,

while the people who sacrifice billions to their dark gods, and are uppity because daddy didn't love them, are the good guys.

The traitors range from a scale of Unwitting Accomplices to Chaotic Evil Lunatics. None of their actions are in any way justified, and are in direct opposition to Human interests in the Galaxy.
>>
File: One Punch Man.jpg (89KB, 473x454px) Image search: [Google]
One Punch Man.jpg
89KB, 473x454px
>>53842403
>Fucking Guilliman breaking my good sword, now I have to use this fucking chainsaw shit.
>I can't even have a moment to shave with all this heresy shit going on.
>I wish I was on Caliban shagging my sons.
>>
>>53849541
Plantetkill is still the best Black Library release ever in my book. The classic feel of the universe, interesting perspectives from character types we never see any more, and GRIM darkness.

Could anyone post the BL tier list images? Or just recommend some for a plane trip
>>
>>53843076
>And The Emperor is the bad guy.
Except this is 40K.

By the standards of the setting, he is the good guy.

That's the thing: the Emperor is the last, best hope for humanity. Because in the galaxy he clings to life within, sustained by arcane technology, in constant, horrible pain, in an Imperium that exists as the most terrifyingly fascist dictatorship to have ever existed, this is the best hope Mankind has if it wishes to survive, to be more than mere playthings for laughing gods. And so he continues, against all odds, against all he might wish for in the peace of death, he continues because he still loves mankind despite all that it has done, often in his name, and continues providing the last light in a galaxy that grows ever darker.
>>
>>53849342
You must not read a lot of BL, because there's almost always a C plot involving some norma human characters every few chapters.
>>
>>53846957
Malcadork did not know the Emperor personally. Not like Alivia Surek and Olly Pius. Eat a dick.

He didn't see past the disguise to the bastard hidden behind it.
>>
>>53847244
No, he doesn't. Retconned. He cares not for MEN.

>>53847197
Black Legion are not wanked. They lost the ground battle in Cadia and properly failed the 13th Black Crusade.

Please go.
>>
>>53849185
> Why would Guiliman have a perspective of the Emperor like this then? He wanted the exact opposite when he met with him after 10k years, he was looking for a real father, like Konor Guiliman was for him. Instead that's when he discovered Emoy didn't actively love him.

Remember: the Emperor's been stuck on the Golden Throne for 10 millennia. In constant torment, if the occasional bits of lore that we get on his current situation are to be taken as fact. His state of mind in M41 may not be representative of how he was in M31.

Not that I even disagree with what you're saying, but it's worth keeping in mind that the corpse on the gold toilet quite likely isn't the same person who was put on it at the end of the Heresy.
>>
>>53849741
>Malcadork did not know the Emperor personally.

If Malcador didn't know the Emperor personally, then how come he worked for him?

Checkmate theists.
>>
>>53849725
All so people can go "oh, it's so *gritty* and *relatable* compared with the Marineshit bolterporn", despite 95% of those C-list normies being utterly disposable and interchangeable as characters.
>>
>>53849741
>Malcador
>speaks with the Emperor's voice
>Emperor's Regent
>Holy Lord of Terra
>the Sigillite
>close advisor throughout the Unification Wars and Great Crusade, and Horus Heresy
>Emperor trusted him enough to listen to his advice and let him do his own thing as needed
>only Malcador was allowed to freely come and go in the Emperor's personal, private experiment vaults

>didn't know the Emperor personally

Here's your (You), please neck thyself posthaste.
>>
>>53849773
The same way the Primarchs worked for him for long without realising how little he values them as persons and "sons".
>>
>>53849741
and your source for that is?
>>
>>53849787
You

see
>>53849794

Not even his "sons" and Custards who were his longest companions, knew him personally.

And please cite sources that shows that he knew the Emperor personally at the same level of the other Perpetuals who knew him when he was a man, saw what he has become, and disdained him for what he has done.
>>
>>53849436
It's fine with the other ones because all we know about the other events are focused on the events between Primarchs and other big players, with relatively few big set pieces. The ones we have seen were fairly mixed, isstvan V was basically focused on the Primarchs, and that other one where the Word Bearers invaded Ultramar, which was really good.

>>53849725
C plots that suck most of the time. You're right though, I really haven't kept up with the HH for a while.
>>
>>53849807
Dude all but worshipped the Emperor. That's not something someone who truly knew the Emperor would do.

Compare his reverence with the Emperor's True Perpetuals peers contempt. Malecadork is a recent development.
>>
>>53849814
Custodes knew him reasonably well actually, even ADB says it with MoM when Ra talks about how regular conversation with the Emperor, philosophy, and remembrances of days long past is a regular thing for them. The difference is that the Custodes agree with him, while the "perpetuals" disagree.
>>
>>53849840
The Custards didn't know the origins of the Emperor and reason for many of of his past deeds until he told one of them to prepare him to house the essence of Drach'nyen.
>>
>>53842403
That looks fucking awful.

Why are SO MANY of the HH bookcovers utter dog breakfast cg nightmares?
>>
File: UFFSr35.jpg (286KB, 1324x1000px) Image search: [Google]
UFFSr35.jpg
286KB, 1324x1000px
>>53849870
because the few good ones are worth it
>>
File: azis.jpg (71KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
azis.jpg
71KB, 533x800px
>>53849667
God, he looks more like Azis every time I see him.
>>
>>53842403
what a god awful cover
>>
>>53849741
>muh perpetucucks
Kill yourself. Fanfiction not welcome.
>>
File: Umbra Sumus.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Umbra Sumus.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
>>53849673
Man I ought to make a pasta or something.

I highly recommend Deathwatch by Steve Parker and the associated short stories, Headhunted and Exhumed IIRC.
Baneblade, Shadowsword, and the 2 short stories, Stormlord and Iron Harvest (Read this one before Shadowsword, it will make the crew much more likeable, in a Brothers in Arms sort of way) by Based Guy Haley (generally speaking Haley is a good pick).
Dead Men Walking for one of the most grimdark book about 40k, featuring the KDK, by Steve Lyons. Fantastic but super depressing. The short story Down Amongst the Dead Men by the same author deals with "training" on Krieg is equally good and depressing.
Red Tithe by Robbie McNiven and Eye of Medusa by David Guymer are two excellent books giving loads of background information about, respectively, the Carcharodons and the Iron Hands (I have to say, I'm a Carcharodons player but hot diddly damn Eye of Medusa was good, IH are scary and brutal as fuck in this book)
Death of Antagonis and Warden of the Blade by David Annandale are solid books as well, one fluhes out the Black Dragon nicely (very different interpretation than Kyme's savage view on them) and the 2nd is about Castellan Crowe, and a fantastic insight on the perils of the GK and the bearer of the blade of Ant'wyr in particular. Manages to make him non Mary-Sue.
Pdf related is also a great book, it's everything a book about an unknown chapter should be. I like to share it around since it was take from the BL site 2 weeks before release because of legal problems, so poor Kearney wrote a whole damn novel for nothing, and I suspect he is the one that put up his novel on torrents so that it's not forgotten.
>>
>>53849766
True, true.
>>
Lion looks like Triple H
>>
>>53849766
>but it's worth keeping in mind that the corpse on the gold toilet quite likely isn't the same person who was put on it at the end of the Heresy.

He is the same person but his capacity to lie and hid the truth was removed. Girlyman saw his memories and what he felt about the Primarchs. Safe to say that the Emperor is a cold bastard.
>>
>>53849832
>Dude all but worshipped the Emperor. That's not something someone who truly knew the Emperor would do.
There is an entire passage in The Sigillite about how Malcs and the Emperor used to just sit around drinking wine and debating about the purpose of a true ruler. And Malcs would tell the Emperor to his face that he was wrong.
Malcador wasn't some star-struck retard, he was basically the Emperor's best friend. He makes a point to put the (incredibly overwhelmed) protagonist on the spot and ask who he agrees with in their old debate, which all but breaks the poor man.

Malcs is also head bureaucrat and master of assassins. He isn't going to wring his hands and go "Oh noes! The Emperor isn't a loving father! How can he be such a monster!?" The two of them have a species to save and shit to get done. All else falls far behind that.
>>
>>53849880
>that shitty colours
>that shitty rendered look
Would be good if they went for an actual painted look.
>>
>>53842403
>That shitty black beard on the Lion
>Those drills on Sanguinius
>Those shitty perspective on Sanguinius' sword
>Those shitty faces on all three

Is the guy who's making these banging someone high up at BL?
>>
>>53842804

>BL writing books on the HH was a mistake. It should have been FW fluff only.

They're the same thing, BL just looks at things up close while FW takes a wider view.

>>53847860

The fanbase is responsible for Pius in the first place, they're the ones who screeched about a Terminator replacing him when such a replacement was done a few years after the original and referenced as a legend.

The 40k fanbase is honestly pretty fucking stupid and takes what any one person says as fact without doing any research for themselves, which at this point is inexcusable considering that at least the majority of written game material for 40k is freely available. So you have plenty of misinformation out there that has been accepted as fact and which leads to the aforementioned screeching as said fans believe that current incarnation of GW is responsible for certain changes when sometimes it was done by the very people writing the game three decades ago.
>>
>>53842403
Obnoxious art. Fuck off with that
>>
>>53850668
Following this: Malcador literally helped the Emperor build the primarchs from sketches and goop and magic into what they are now. Do you really think, inside his own head, that he views them as his nephews? as the Emperor's sons? Or as fucking golems he helped the man build once?

It makes the heresy that much more infuriating for him and the Emperor because it isn't "Son, you are your own man and must walk your own path," It's "Goddamn it Lorgar we literally built you to do one fucking job."
>>
I actually just had a dream this night about two books about the Siege of Terra. Too bad I can barely remember it now. I think I remember the Emperor planning to release Titans from inside the Palace or something like that. It was all very dark, despaired and epic though. I hope we'll see these books before WWIII.
>>
>>53844782
>Yeah, my complaint is that the Lion has never been pictured with a chainsword before. Hell, the exavt same artist showed him with a proper power sword recently.
You realize this was sort of a HUGE plot point, yes? Guilliman broke the Lion Sword because Johnson was being a lying twat? That's a thing. It was a big to-do in the last Dark Angels book. The broken sword is the one Cypher is carrying. It's old fluff finally brought full circle. The chainsword makes perfect sense.
>>
>>53842475
>tfw Unironically enjoy then heresy series
>>
>>53850874
Agreed. When I want literature, I read literature. When I'm at work lifting heavy shit or driving a forklift, listening to audiobooks about 8ft superhumans killing each other to death is pretty damn enjoyable.
>>
>>53850933
Sounds safe
>>
>>53842403
>sanguinus supposed to be pretty as fugg
>looks like the ultimate warrior without face paint

what is going on
>>
>>53842403
I'm guessing that the lion and roboute end up doing some sort of "Go Sanguinius! There are other worlds than this!" Hold the line type stuff so Blood Angels can reach Terra.
Many tears will be shed
>>
>>53850933
But why not have 8ft giants killing each other without the story being shit?
>>
>>53848403
Is.. is this the level of the typical slav conscript?
Why do we fear Russia again?jk no one fears that joke of a nation
>>
>>53848473
If that's what you got out of that story then I find your reading comprehension almost laughable... You probably didn't go to college did you anon.
>>
File: sduw04.jpg (19KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
sduw04.jpg
19KB, 320x240px
>>53851050
>black
>red
>gold

this cant be a coincidence
>>
>>53851076
This is why I listen to Chris Wraight, son.
>>
File: Emperor's Tears.jpg (74KB, 875x322px) Image search: [Google]
Emperor's Tears.jpg
74KB, 875x322px
>>53847244
Pepperidge Farm remembers
>>
>>53851125
>Cris "take the knot" Wraight
>Chris " a bloodclaw could totally take out an entire squad of Rubrics" Wraight
>Chris "Magnus gets beaten up by a dreadnought" Wright
>Chris "The entirety of the Thousand Sons can't out-magic one Runepriest cuz Fenris is so special" Wraight

Scars was an okay book though.
>>
>>53849880
This needs a googly eyes edit
>>
>>53844612
>Now it's actually realistic, and the Emperor was actually the progressive utopian fighting against regressive, reactionary elements that worshipped stupid shit.
that's just edgy whining against paternal figures though.
>>
>>53851225
Jesus fuck did you actually read the book? None of those are right.
>Chris " a bloodclaw could totally take out an entire squad of Rubrics" Wraight
Yes, the squad of slow-as-fuck automatons should have beaten a main character of the book down with their bolter stocks. That's a thing. That would be satisfying.
>Chris "Magnus gets beaten up by a dreadnought" Wright
Magnus leaves the oldest and best dreadnought in the imperium a smoking wreck on the side of the mountain, only pausing from killing its pilot to kill the Chapter Master instead. Yes. That's unreasonable. How dare Bjorn put up a fight.
>Chris "The entirety of the Thousand Sons can't out-magic one Runepriest cuz Fenris is so special" Wraight
One runepriest, and a council of other runepriests, and a mountain that has been completely covered with anti-magic wards over the course of ten thousand years.

How can you hate everything when you can't even reading comprehension?
>>
File: 1466513200739.png (385KB, 1322x1462px) Image search: [Google]
1466513200739.png
385KB, 1322x1462px
>>53851142
Reminder Empy can be written as grand, loving and tragic figure.
>>
>>53851308
> law grad
Because shit colleges can't have a law program. My point still stands.
>>
>>53851357
Are we goint for a dick measuring contest here my dear anon? You'll excuse me for not remembering perfectly everysingle story I read about 40k? Like the good, intelligent, educated lad you are right?
>>
>>53851382
>Can't remember everything about a setting whose protagonists all have an eidetic memory.
0/10 Shouldn't even call yourself a fan.
>>
>>53851395
>Can't remember the amount of rounds fired since the start of the setting several decades ago
How dare you live with yourself you scum?
>>
>>53851395
>>Can't remember everything about a setting whose protagonists all have an eidetic memory.
Except for Worldeaters, who got the Nails and Space Yiffs, because they just kinda suck ^^
>>
>>53842403
>Will we see finally the siege of Terra in 2018?
Maybe?
BL already told us that they are starting the last phase of HH, with Jaghatai's last book.
>>
>>53851332
Have you read "Crimson King" the power of Fenris is mighty in ways that the Thousand Sons can never understand or harness. The power of Fenris stems from the Planet and the warriors who come from it and defend it.

Though powerful, the Space Wolves with their shamanistic ways cannot tap to it fully. That's why the daemon Oracle says that the TS and SW would have been a absurdly powerful combo. The TS with their understanding of sorcery and the warp married with Fenris's primal power would be godlike.

But alas, Magnus ruined everything.
>>
>>53848682
>>53848715
You also forgot one small detail about their meeting.

>>53848550
I highly doubt you were meant to read the priest being right in anyway, because when McNeil posted his picture with Dawkins, he bragged about giving Dawkins a copy of The Last Church.
>>
File: primarchs.jpg (90KB, 754x905px) Image search: [Google]
primarchs.jpg
90KB, 754x905px
Literally the only good Primarch portraits.
>>
>>53851670
It's the yiffer Russ who accepted the order from Horus despite the Custodes screaming over his ear to stop this madness because he got yiff retard mode on.
>>
>>53851725
>I wrote a key figure in a fairly popular setting as a high-school tier fedoralord in an official fluff piece
>Notice me Dawkins-sempai.
>>
>>53851736
Right. The webway destroyed itself and let a horde of Daemons into the catacombs under Terra because it was bored.

Magnus was just... there. On unrelated and completely innocent sorcerous business.
>>
>>53851779
He wanted to warn the Emperor but he didnt notice that he was the pawn of tzeentch by then. And then the yiff came and fucked it up even more.
>>
>>53851819
>he didnt notice that he was the pawn of tzeentch
There is a point where he can't break through the wards on the palace, and he feels a vast presence in the warp rear up and offer him more power.

A warp entity offers him more power.

To break through the anti-warp wards on the imperial palace.

And he accepts it without a thought.

Magnus knew exactly what he was goddamn doing. He was just a self-righteous twat. The alternative is that he was just that goddamn stupid, which means Russ had every right to put him down. That much power in the hands of someone that retarded is not acceptable.
>>
>>53851908
We were speaking about the Russ, not Emperor. I agree that Magnus was power hungry bastard and wanted to prove to the Big E "hey daddy i am as stronk as u!", but Russ had to follow a goddamn order from Emps, when the Horus suddenly contacted him and "pshsh, you know what Emps changes his mind, kill the bastard" the fucking custodes even said that it wasnt true but Russ had already had a hard on from all this zoophiliac thoughts in his mind. Both parties were fucked up and both parties fucked up. End of story.
>>
>>53850155
If you're gonna recommend all the teenage depression books you forgot Imperial Glory.
>>
>>53851988
You're arguing that Russ following the orders of a superior officer is as bad as Magnus dooming the entire species to death by chaos?
>>
>>53848550
I agree, the priest in the last church was a much more compelling character, who's arguments were much better, with big e only winning because "hur dur you thought I was a normal dude but voila I'm a god" especially on the fact that the emperor would willingly destroy human history, simply out if ideological grounds, basically makes him isis.
>>
File: 1474292666081.jpg (1MB, 2595x3544px) Image search: [Google]
1474292666081.jpg
1MB, 2595x3544px
Why do they keep hiring Roberts to make those shitastic cg covers?

Why note hire Blanche or at least give them a simplistic/tasteful cover like this?
>>
>>53848550
They each had a point, but the Emps was a cunt about it.
>>
>>53852168
>arguments were much better,
As a character, yes. But as a reader with a knowledge of the setting, the Emperor was right. He was a dick about it, but he was right. The Judeo-christian god doesn't exist. Chaos does exist. Chaos feeds on religious faith. That makes religious faith an overall negative force for humanity.

The priest was a likable character, but in-setting he was wrong.
>>
>>53852205
they want to sell models.
>>
>>53852478
Forgive me if I'm wrong (last read the book over a year ago) but didn't the priest accurately predict that humanity would worship big e if all other faith was stripped from him.
Also other gods do exist based on faith, just look at the eldar pantheon, and there's some pretty good evidence for them existing (avatars ect)
>>
>>53851670
>the power of Fenris is mighty in ways that the Thousand Sons can never understand or harness
and shit like that is exactly why people hate space yiffs and their players. This against-all-consistency wankery.
>>
>>53852566
The Eldar gods created the Eldar. That would be impossible if they existed based on faith. How could the race they had yet to create believe them into existence?
>>
>>53852762
That's going of the eldar creation myth, human creationists believe that human gods created them, it doesn't make it true. Remember all is canon but not all is true. The fact of the matter is other gods exist, not just the malignant chaos gods.
>>
>>53850821
Not to mention he actually felt pity for Lorgar even though he was bitch slapped by him.

Doesn't sound like some mad scientist to me
>>
>>53848403
This is one of the simplest military rifles there are. Is so basic in its use, than illiterate nigglets in Africa use it without problems to defend themselves.
That says something about the brain of that broad.
>>
>>53851988
>the fucking custodes even said that it wasnt true
Only in the FW lore.

In the BL it was Valdor who sided with Horus and told him to wreck Magnus' shit, which hasn't yet been explained and it's been like 6 years
>>
>>53848738
>>1 primarch who fought at the battle of Terra accompanies 2 primarchs who were too far away from Terra to make it in time and who's imminent arrival was cause for Horus' failed gambit

Maybe the other two got distracted on their way?
>>
>>53852913
FW is better than BL so you're automatically wrong.
>>
File: 1409676449094.jpg (25KB, 596x400px) Image search: [Google]
1409676449094.jpg
25KB, 596x400px
>>53849741
>Malcadork did not know the Emperor personally

What the fucking fuck??????
>>
>>53851332
>Yes, the squad of slow-as-fuck automatons should have beaten a main character of the book down with their bolter stocks.
Ecept that the Rubrics in question were armed with powerswords and Rubrics have always been known to speed up in close combat. Not sure what the guy being a main character has to do with anytrhing, unless you think plotarmor is a good thing.

>How dare Bjorn put up a fight.
Magnus used to one-shot Titans; there shouldn't have been a fight.

>>53851332
>a mountain that has been completely covered with anti-magic wards over the course of ten thousand years.
Really? Because in the book they just scribble a bunch of eyes on the wall.
Man, if only the rest of the Imperium knew that you can effectively counter psykers with a crayon...
>>
>>53852949
>IW FW lore

That is all
>>
>>53852949
Tell that to all the typos in Inferno.
>>
>>53852634
Thousand Sons study things of the Warp. Corrupted things.

Fenris's soul comes from Fenris. Pure and noble.
>>
File: 1479625707908.jpg (148KB, 535x464px) Image search: [Google]
1479625707908.jpg
148KB, 535x464px
>>53853064
>IW
I don't see anything wrong with that, bitchboy.
>>
>>53853006
>Really? Because in the book they just scribble a bunch of eyes on the wall.
Read Parting of the Ways. In 31k the Fang was already described as warded against Daemons. You really think a chapter as ass-backwards and superstitious didn't embed a bunch of warding runes in every rock with a flat surface?
>>
>>53853100
complete.
bullshit.
>>
>>53853006
>Magnus used to one-shot Titans;
Magnus used to have a spine.
Magnus used to have free will.
Things have changed.
>>
>>53853107
>haha I liked it when they made my primarch into a literal retard who loses battles against a fucking IF captain even with superior numbers and prep time and senselessly kills a 10th of his men

In the grim darkness of the far future there is only cucking, it seems.
>>
>>53853109
>Parting of the Ways
Well, maybe if Wraight could have five minutes off wanking to furry porn, he could have included that in Battle of the Fang.

In any case, wards should only be able to do so much, otherwise an aquilla would probably be powerful enough to render you completely invulnerable to the warp.
>>
>>53853137
Yeah sorry GW disagrees with you.
>>
>>53853192
GW writers being too idiotic to grasp the concepts laid down by their predeccors doesn't make it not bullshit.
Just makes it official bullshit.
>>
>>53853187
Your strawmanning hurts me.

A ward is a specific symbol or series of symbols designed to protect against something. It isn't just a recognizable shape.
>>
File: 1483472031412.png (429KB, 530x419px) Image search: [Google]
1483472031412.png
429KB, 530x419px
>>53853174
I can't hear you over the sound of the Ironfire rolling towards you.
>>
>>53853241
>who cares if they completely shat on the lore at least I have ebin memes :^)

Truly summer is come for us all
>>
>>53853187
>he could have included that in Battle of the Fang.
Oh get off it. Parting of the Ways was written 5 years after Battle of the Fang.
>>
>>53853269
So?
If your stand alone book requires me to read some other books for the story not to be idiotic, that's a failure of the author.
>>
File: 1479510624159.png (49KB, 299x348px) Image search: [Google]
1479510624159.png
49KB, 299x348px
>>53853267
>how dare you enjoy some fun
I bet you play DA.
>>
>>53853328
It isn't the author's job to spoonfeed you everything in an already established setting.

Ya nonce.
>>
>>53842403
Sang looks like shit, jesus christ
>>
>>53853328
The entire culture of the entire goddamn Imperium is two things:

1: Afraid of the warp.
2: Fans of the Emperor.

If you walk into a book just assuming that a fortress on a superstitious world would have no warp defenses at all, that's on you for not knowing the setting.
>>
>>53853354
You can have fun without offering your ass up for IF fanboy John French
>>
>>53853393
Okay, then why are Daemon incursions even a thing within the Imperium?
Or are you implying only the Space Yiffs know how to warpproof structures?
>>
>>53853151
>Magnus used to have free will.
Arguable. Depending on your point of view he was a pawn with zero agency from the start.
>>
>>53853437
Given that they were better at it from the start and have been nemeses with the thousand sons for 10k years, they're probably more apt at it than most.
>>
>>53853437
They're a thing because cults are a thing. You think all that defacing Aquilas and destroying churches is just for show? Human followers can go where daemons can not. At least initially.

And not warpproof but certainly reinforce beyond having zero protection. The wards did burn out eventually.
>>
>>53853444
I mean, technically he's an NPC in a game setting and novel series, he was always going to fuck everything up.

Calling him an NPC might even be generous. He was an imminent disaster with red skin and stupid sons.
>>
>>53853495
>>53853469

It is a problem of scale.
Battle of the Fang would have made much more sense with:
-the entire Chapter defending the Fang
or:
-The Thousand Sons being lead by some high ranking Sorcerer, not Magnus

As it is it comes off as making the Thousand Sons look incredibly inept and jerking the Wolves off to a gross degree.
>>
>>53853543
>making the Thousand Sons look incredibly inept
So it's just like every other appearance they've had?
>>
>>53853532
No actually, Magnus and his legion were noble in their open minded pursuit of knowledge, who got screwed over by the horribleness that is the 40k universe.
The same horribleness that vindicated the Wolves in their narrowmindedness and superstition.

GW writers used to be aware of that...
>>
>>53853543
No, it's a problem of using the medieval force multiplier of a fortress in a siege in a sci-fi setting.

Battle of the Fang was fine. Everywhere Magnus showed up he steamrolled everyone until he ran out of time. The only person to survive fighting him was Bjorn, and his dreadnought sure as fuck didn't. He was just four stumps in a box..

>>53853587
>noble in their open minded pursuit of knowledge
No. Magnus ignored every rule and warning everyone ever gave him because he was such an arrogant red ass. It takes a rare degree of hubris to disregard someone who has been doing what you are doing for 30 thousand years as probably not knowing what they're talking about. THAT was Magnus. He thought he was top shit because he sold his soul to Tzeentch, then he doomed mankind and blamed everyone else. Not unlike his fanboys do.
>>
>>53853587
>GW writers used to be aware of that...
what

>There are scholars, especially among the Librarians of certain Space Marine Chapters, who suggest it was during this time that another threshold was crossed. They believe that the crisis of controlling an entire Legion's destructive psychic mutancy caused Magnus to seek shortcuts, or explore more perilous paths. There are others, including prominent members of the Inquisition, who suggest no such 'threshold' ever existed; that the original commune of psychic adepts were already students of darker arts before Magnus came amongst them. Thus his initiation into similar rites was inevitable. Still others postulate it was the magnitude of the Primarch's own insatiable hunger for knowledge that made what followed inevitable.

One common point in the fluff is that magnus was not "screwed" by the universe, but that he chose to screw himself and didn't think of the consequences.
>>
>>53853560
No, actually; they used to be embittered, tragic figures. Most of them being largely apathetic to the Imperium and entirely content with pursuing their warpstudies.
The exception being Ahriman's dudes who meant to enter the Black Library and the occasional sorcer with a personal agenda.
>>
>>53853587
>Magnus and his legion were noble in their open minded pursuit of knowledge

>Hey Magnus.
>Yeah dad?
>You know that primeval force of destruction that we have to shield our ships and minds from because it's pure entropy?
>Yeah dad.
>Maybe don't fuck with it. Trust me. I've been at this for a long time. At least be careful with it.
>In all fairness dad, I've been doing this for like sixty years. I think I know what I'm talking about.
Ten minutes later.
>Aah! Why hath the universe treated me so unfairly?!
>>
>>53853674
The point is that his intentions were pure. He was arrogant and full of himself, but he still sought knowledge for the betterment of mankind.
It is just that knowledge of the warp and corruption are inevitablylinked in 40k
>>
>>53853708
>his intentions were pure
>>>>>pure

>Everything he had done, all he had sacrificed, every critical decision he had made in his life had been founded upon two sacred beliefs: that knowledge was pure, and that he was its master.
he was entirely selfish
>>
>>53853708
His intentions were to show how useful sorcery was so he could keep using it. That's why he didn't just send an astropath or warn someone outside the palace. He wanted a giant show of power to vindicate his methods more than he wanted to protect the Emperor's work. He was still being really self-serving.

Even when faced with a civil war, it was still really important to Magnus that he get an exception on the rules, because he was just so goshdarn special.
>>
>>53853757
>he was entirely selfish
What isn your postimplies selfishness?
Magnus and his sons delighted in teaching others; Prospero was actually pretty close to Big E's vision for mankinds future; it's just that they lacked the knowldge of the warp's corruption.
>>
>>53853174
Agreed, some FW depictions of Perty are really dogshit.
>>
>>53853868
The 'master' bit. Magnus wasn't the keeper. He was the MASTER. Knowledge was HIS, and he deserved to know everything just because he was so great.
>>
Regarding the Magnus discussion, I think it's quite well portrayed in the Primarch book Magnus that he's way over-confidant and arrogant.
Heck, the quote on the back of the limited edition is just about that.
>>
>>53853965
>Knowledge was HIS,
Except he didn't hoard knowledge and hide it away; he made it available to all willing to learn.
He meant to further mankinds knowledge and understanding the warp.
Him having an ego problem does not change that.
>>
>>53854029
Apart from all those books of forbidden rituals, right?
>>
>>53854093
What about them?
>>
>>53854202
The humans weren't allowed to see them. That knowledge wasn't for them. Just for Magnus.
>>
File: 1379966440080.jpg (1MB, 483x3182px) Image search: [Google]
1379966440080.jpg
1MB, 483x3182px
>>53843438
You know it is possible for people to have different colored beards then their hair right? I have dark brown hair with dark eyebrows with streak of grey in them while my beard is straight ginger. I shave it because it makes me look fucking stupid.
>>
>>53854219
Because they required extensive mastery of the warp.
His captains knew about them.
>>
File: 20170617_125350.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
20170617_125350.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
oh hey a wh40k book thread!

Been waiting for one of these. So I just got done reading this.

This one gave me some serious feels. All Leo went through with his two friends along side Space Alexander the Great.
>>
>>53854280
>mastery
>of the warp
Heh
>>
>>53854277
>2017
>not dyeing your beard the same color as your hair
>>
>>53854353
>He doesn't have opposing colors for hair and beard.

Turquoise and Mauve here.

Do you even remembrancer?
>>
>>53844361
I was more bothered by Russ having none tbqh
>>
>>53853674
>There are scholars
>who suggest
>They believe
>who suggest
>Thus his initiation into similar rites was inevitable
>Still others postulate
This really activated my almonds.
>>
>>53854580
a little too close to real life, eh
>>
I mean, sure. He destroyed the Emperor's work and doomed humanity, but his intentions were PURE, you guys.

The former completely invalidates the latter. Nobody gives a fuck about Magnus's intentions once he has doomed the entire goddamn species.

If intentions ARE a factor, then you can't blame Russ for listening to Horus. His intentions were pure. He was just following orders like he was supposed to. He even broke his own protocols to warn Magnus ahead of time.
>>
>>53854657
This is youre brain on Black Library fluff.
>>
>>53854674
>youre
>>
>>53853080
>perpetuals
You lose
>>
>>53854847
>No more Bligh
You lose too.
>>
>>53849794
I know how these guys aren't canon anymore, but I wonder how the Emperor would have felt about his biological Sensei sons. Surely he must have stuck around for a few years after they were born before disappearing again.
>>
>>53854657
>Outcome invalidates intention.
Are you from tumblr?
>>
>>53854971
>muh feels matter more than objective outcome
>calls other tumblrites

Jesus Christ
>>
>>53854903
His spirit lives on.
>>
>>53854984
No, you fucking troglodyte, intention must be taken into consideration seperate from the outcome.

That's why the law differentiates between murder and accidentally causing someone else's death.
>>
>>53854971
No. I'm from adulthood.

When was the last time you fucked up colossally, ruined something important that couldn't ever be recovered, and someone told you it didn't matter because your heart was in the right place? That's not how the world works.

And that's nowhere near the scale of condemning our entire species to a gribbly death.
>>
>>53849766
I don't understand why people are shocked that the Emperor didn't love his sons. If he loved them, he wouldn't have treated Angron the way he did and he would've got Conrad the help he desperately needed.
>>
>>53855140
Yeah, the guy's still dead. Tell his wife you didn't mean to kill him. I'm sure that'll make her feel WAY better about losing him forever.
>>
>>53855140
If you had every authority figure in your life warning you not to do a thing because it might kill a guy, and then you scoff and do it anyway, you'd probably have a prosecutor push for murder.

Courts are merciless when you have the attitude that you are above the law.
>>
>>53855140
>>53855219
Please point me towards the post where I said the outcome isn't important.
>>
>>53855325
You said that the outcome of damning the entire human race to extinction shouldn't outweigh Magnus's arguably-good intentions. That is a load of horseshit. Extinction outweighs any intention whatsoever.
>>
>>53855325
The outcome is the most important part, because it is the bit that objectively happened. Nobody cares what you were TRYING to do or thinking about doing when a catastrophe goes down. Intentions don't make the aftermath any less severe.
>>
>>53855362
No you retard, I said it didn't INVALIDATE them.
Please learn how to read and ask your parents for the long words.
>>
>>53855140
>intention must be taken into consideration

>The Primarch had never accepted the Emperor's belief in the peril of sorcery, and had broken his oath to turn from the pursuit of such knowledge.
>It was to be his moment of triumph and vindication, the occasion of his self-righteous justification. Only the power of Magnus's sorcery had revealed the viper within.

real pure intentions, magnus
>>
>>53855457
>Nobody cares what you were TRYING to do or thinking about doing when a catastrophe goes down.
Yes people fucking do.
When it comes to judging a person, their intention are aguably more important than the outcome, because while events might outside of a person's ability to change, their intentions are always their own.

Someone attempting to rescue someone from a burning building and dieing in the event is still considered heroic.
>>
>>53855546
>their intention are aguably more important than the outcome
This is never true if there are serious ramifications to whatever they accidentally did.

>Someone attempting to rescue someone from a burning building and dieing in the event is still considered heroic.
If Magnus had just failed and died in the warp, the analogy would fit. He didn't. He ruined everything because he wanted to show off more than he wanted to get the message through.

Now, if the man charging into a burning building accidentally set off a nuke and leveled the city it was happening in because he wanted to show off his nuclear powered firefighting suit... That'd be an analogy for what Magnus did.
>>
>>53855546
>Someone attempting to rescue someone from a burning building and dieing in the event is still considered heroic.
Only if they succeed. If they just rush in and die they aren't a hero. They're an idiot.
>>
>>53855661
>This is never true if there are serious ramifications to whatever they accidentally did
It actually is, friend.
I just got out of a two week seminar about law concerning working in a ER. Trust me the law is pretty particular about intention and outcome.

>>53855661
>Now, if the man charging into a burning building accidentally set off a nuke and leveled the city it was happening in because he wanted to show off his nuclear powered firefighting suit...
Except in this case he firefighting suit was the only option. Sending the warning via Astropaths would take too long and be unsafe, considering Horus had allies capable of screwing with the warp.
>>
>>53855813
>Except in this case he firefighting suit was the only option. Sending the warning via Astropaths would take too long and be unsafe, considering Horus had allies capable of screwing with the warp.
As opposed to just contacting Malcador, or Dorn, or one of the Custodes on the surface of the planet... which would never have gotten the message across.

See>>53855513

The only reason he broke the wards on the palace was to show off.

>I just got out of a two week seminar about law concerning working in a ER. Trust me the law is pretty particular about intention and outcome.

We aren't talking about the American Judicial system in 2017. We're talking about a genetically crafted superhuman destroying 30,000 years worth of work and damning the entire species to destruction. That act eclipses any good intentions he may have had stowed away behind his hubris and his need to break rules to validate his own methods.

If we're using legal statute as a baseline, he violated the Edict of Nikea. He's guilty before we get into ANY of the other stupid shit he did.
>>
>>53842403
>>Jaghatai Khan is already there.
Damn straight. Fifth legion best legion.
>>
>>53855968
>As opposed to just contacting Malcador, or Dorn, or one of the Custodes on the surface of the planet... which would never have gotten the message across.
He was using the webway. He got out at the only gate on Terra.

>That act eclipses any good intentions he may have had
No, it freaking doesn't, not when we are talking about judging Magnus as a person.
>>
>>53856075
>No, it freaking doesn't, not when we are talking about judging Magnus as a person.
Taking power from Tzeentch in order to break the Imperial palace to show off his sorcery and by so doing damning humanity is ABSOLUTELY the act for which we should judge Magnus as a person.

You realize that a person isn't defined by their inner dialogue, right? You aren't defined by your thoughts. You are defined by what you do and how you treat the world around you. What mental processes drive you to do these things are completely irrelevant. What you actually do is all that matters. Your actions define you, you don't get to define your actions.

Magnus isn't a wonderful snowflake who was dealt a poor hand and whose actions were misinterpreted. Magnus is the Primarch who shattered the Webway and doomed humanity. Just like Russ is the Primarch who sacked Prospero and broke Magnus' back.
>>
>>53849436
That's probably why the first 3 books were so good. The protagonists were just regular marines.
>>
>>53856228
>Taking power from Tzeentch in order to break the Imperial palace to show off his sorcery and by so doing damning humanity is ABSOLUTELY the act for which we should judge Magnus as a person.
Except he did to warm the Emperor of Horus betrayal, not to show off.

>Your actions define you
No, your itentions define you. Your actions are simply your attempt to realize those intentions.
They can define your success, but not your character.
>>
>>53856339
>Except he did to warm the Emperor of Horus betrayal, not to show off.
>>53855513
>>It was to be his moment of triumph and vindication, the occasion of his self-righteous justification. Only the power of Magnus's sorcery had revealed the viper within.
^^Right there. He did it to show off. He could have EASILY warned someone near the Emperor, but that wasn't showy enough.

>>53856339
>No, your itentions define you. Your actions are simply your attempt to realize those intentions.
>They can define your success, but not your character.
This is asinine. I am not an author until I actually finish a book. My INTENT to finish a book means jack shit. I am not a boxer until I can actually box. I am not a painter until I paint something. Thinking that your intentions define who you are rather than the things you actually DO is the laziest way to feel good about yourself and excuse bad behavior that there is.

This is the mindset of people who do racist shit and then insist they aren't racist. Your actions define who you are, because they are the things you're actually willing to DO rather than the things you just talk a big game about.

I'm getting a little heavy into Sartrean Existentialism here, but every action you take is you condoning that action as the best one you thought possible. If there was a better option, you'd have done that instead. Your actions reflect your character a hell of a lot better than whatever you TELL yourself you would have done.
>>
>>53849880
that looks like a 90s FMV m8
>>
>>53856483
That titan has seen some shit.
>>
>>53856467
>He could have EASILY warned someone near the Emperor, but that wasn't showy enough.
Again, no he couldn't. There is exactly one exit from the webway on Terra.Maybe read the book you're quoting.

>>53856467
>This is asinine. I am not an author until I actually finish a book. My INTENT to finish a book means jack shit.
Yes it does, when we're talking about you as a person as opposed to a statistic.
>>
>>53856626
No it doesn't. Intent is worthless unless it's put into action.
>>
>>53856861
>No it doesn't. Intent is worthless unless it's put into action.
To a robot perhaps.
>>
>>53856988
You want credit for things you literally have not done. That's stupid and lazy.
>>
>>53857046
No I don't, you dense motherfucker.

I'm saying that judging the character of a person solely on thr outcomre of their actions without factoring in intention and circumstances is fucking retarded.
>>
>>53857120
So judging a character by the things they have done is unfair, I should really be considering their feelings too?
>>
>>53857311
Their intentions and the circumstances, yes.
>>
Intent has importance, but yes you're judged on the outcome.
In the case of Magnus : he was full of good intent and only wanted to spread knowledge, but he was so arrogant that it doomed him.
For how much he loves his sons, how much did he killed with the ritual that broke the webway ?
For how much he loved Prospero, how much were killed and how much lore was lost because he felt shitty for failing his father and let the Wolves run amok for a time ?

I quite like Magnus (even if I've always preferred Ahriman), but he's an arrogant bastard, albeit one full of good intentions.
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions" (or "Hell is full of good meanings, but heaven is full of good works") describes his character perfectly.
>>
>>53843282
>>53849749

It's nice to see how buttblasted chaos fanboys are
>>
>>53857347
So their intentions and circumstances will lessen the damage, yes? The webway is less broken and humanity is less doomed because Magnus had good intentions when he ignored every rule and took power from Tzeentch?
>>
>>53857584
>So their intentions and circumstances will lessen the damage, yes?
I refuse to believe you can be so dense and still be able to operate a keyboard.

NO, IT OBVIOUSLY WILL NOT MAGICALLY LESSEN THE DAMAGE; BUT IT IS IMPORTANT WHEN IT COMES TO JUDGING THEM AS A PERSON; BECAUSE THE CHARACTER OF A PERSON AND THE RESULTS OF THEIR ACTIONS ARE TO SEPERATE THINGS:
>>
>>53846993
somebody shoop guillliman with ojou hair saying this
>>
>>53848473
what's with all the adb hate?
>>53851092
go suck a dick adb
>>
>>53858503
Constantly shits up 40k with his blatant chaoswankery, also is a massive fucking hypocrite
>>
>>53842403
>Believing the Horus Heresy will ever end

Man, Nigerian Princes must love you.
>>
>>53859920
Eh, they've slowly been winding the whole thing down, and now with Laurie "the jewster" Goulding gone they aren't pumping out the same Isstvan V/ Calth stories
>>
>>53850856
>It's old fluff finally brought full circle.

Old fluff was that the Lion Sword was broken by Luthor's Chaos Steroids, dude.
>>
File: Capture.png (4KB, 349x119px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
4KB, 349x119px
>>53858503
There's something poetic about this post.
>>
>>53857678
Magnus was not trying to prove Sorcery was good for the betterment of Humanity, He was trying to prove Sorcery was good to justify himself learning Sorcery.

All of the traitor primarchs had huge overbearing character flaws of Selfishness and Arrogance.
>>
>>53859868
What makes him a hypocrite? I haven't paid attention to ADB as a person since he started towing the line of "lol there is no Chaos Undivided, only Chaos Gods" that GW has been pushing for a while now.
>>
>>53849880
>Heard you talking shit about me mate
>>
>>53853267
>>who cares if they completely shat on the lore at least I have ebin memes :^)
>insulting memes
Fuck the lore and game balancing. Memes are literally all that matters in this age
>>
>>53861141
Because he whined about Wraight making it obvious that the blood ravens were TS successors and even made a forum post about how he'll bring it up at the next meeting (fucking lmao), but then he has Emps himself say "yup we're fucked all right"
>>
>>53861141
You realize authors who won't write to the newest lore don't get published, right? Abnett is literally the only exception.
>>
>>53850513
Remove anyone's ability to lie and I am sure everyone is a bit of a cunt
>>
>>53861848
How is that hypocrisy? He doesn't like the blood ravens thing, and then he wrote a completely different plot point?
>>
>>53862780
He complained that Wraight made it obvious instead of just implied, but then he has the Emperor himself state that Chaos is going to inevitably win.
Thread posts: 273
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.