[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Silent Hill-inspired Campaign

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: SilentHillWestVirginia.png (1MB, 1600x667px) Image search: [Google]
SilentHillWestVirginia.png
1MB, 1600x667px
I'm looking for some inspiration for a Silent Hill inspired horror campaign. For those unfamiliar with the franchise, I'd characterize it as moody pshycological horror with a sort of dreamy atmosphere. Lots of strange inhuman creatures wandering the fog just out of sight, a focus on gradually building tension, and an undercurrent of mysterious occultism.

What are some interesting ideas for setting key players on edge and tasks/puzzles I could give them to build on that atmosphere? Additionally, what is a good way of handling questline resolution in a way that maintains the mystique and doesn't just dump answers on them, but still provides a satisfying resolution?
>>
>>53841852

Nurses. Sexy nurses.
>>
>>53841852
It really depends on character backstory. SH2 and 3 all have monsters generated based on core motifs from the protagonists fears and psychology. With the exception of Pyramid Head and Valtiel, who are more symbolic in deed as opposed to image.
>>
>>53841852
Download any of the 9999 professional tried and tested illustrated 1000pages long call of chuutuuluu campaigns that 61year old role players play while smoking pipes in musty cottages.

Mindlessly mine the book for the scenes, riddles, mood and clues. Neuter the coc mythology to fit the meme silent hill world.

Insert philosophical subtext from that one pretensious Dostoyevsky book that truly "changed my look on life, no really I mean it."

. . .

>"Wow we've been playing this horror campaign for 6 years now and it still feels fresh how do you do it? You would be a great author!"
>>
File: 4816_Chthulhu_GLAM_1024x1024.jpg (143KB, 1024x731px) Image search: [Google]
4816_Chthulhu_GLAM_1024x1024.jpg
143KB, 1024x731px
>>53843167
That's retarded. Lovecraft is meme shit for literal retards and Redditors.

>LOL LE SPOOKEH SQUID MAN
>LE OCEAN IS TEH SCARY
>ITS SCARY NOT TO HAVE A PLOT XDDDDD

Hang yourself.
>>
>>53843167
>>53843269

I agree with this guy. Lovecraft is utter garbage m8. Come back when you turn 18.
>>
>>53843269
>>53843338
samefag
>>
Tip that's really gonna spice up your game, OP. Be an unreliable GM. Midway through a scene, start talking as if you're still doing a previous scene and keep going. Start talking as specific characters instead of the DM when it should not be appropriate. Basically, push the limits between what is going on in the game, and in reality.

If it goes bad, you might wind up looking pretty autismo, but when it works, it works super well. I've both played in game where this happens, and been the GM in such situations, and players who are willing to get spooked will eat it up. Especially when you're doing a Silent Hill style campaign.

Also, minor idea, monsters that are tailored to the backstories of the player characters.
>>
>>53846421 -Your a great man
>>53841852
The trouble with these kind of campaigns is they deal with the PC's mind very frequently. Make the PC's tailored to your group or tell them in far advance to make a character. Also make sure to amplify symbolism on everything.

Also this is an instance of non-meming use GURPS. It works well for overpowered mobs and helpless PC's
>>
File: 3spooky5me.png (232KB, 1900x1632px) Image search: [Google]
3spooky5me.png
232KB, 1900x1632px
>>53841852
>>53846421
Here's a spooky inspirational greentext
>>
File: Beach Street.png (100KB, 1553x657px) Image search: [Google]
Beach Street.png
100KB, 1553x657px
>>53841852
>>53846421
>>53846544
And there's another one
>>
>>53846544
Hot diggigidy damn, now this is good tabletop horror.
>>
>>53846563
I'd play it.
>>
>>53843167
>>53843269
>>53843338
Lovecraft has some alright material if you avoid the memes. Dream-quest of Unknown Kadath is pretty alright.
Also the lesser-known short stories like Pickman's Model.
>>
>>53843269
> t. a dude who played scribblenauts and typed in cthulu

Read the rest of his stories you spastic monkey, they don't all rely on tentacles. The Nameless City is excellent.
>>
>>53848463
Le upboat for you good sir! Simply epic!
>>
>>53846563
This is the one I was about to suggest. I like the idea of this cursed place, but the curse is somehow spreading like a plague. It would make for a good challenge for players if new people keep getting sucked into it.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.