[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>His character developed his fighting style by himself.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 273
Thread images: 40

File: 1472600482202.jpg (13KB, 224x219px) Image search: [Google]
1472600482202.jpg
13KB, 224x219px
>>
File: 1462319519812.png (170KB, 375x374px) Image search: [Google]
1462319519812.png
170KB, 375x374px
>his character name or alias unironically contains "dark," "black," "shadow," or any other synonym for this concept
>>
>Character is a loner half-something, shunned by both communities
>>
File: sensible chuckle.gif (993KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
sensible chuckle.gif
993KB, 250x250px
>Character is a renowned master of his particular field/has slain a beast that can kill champions/stolen an item guarded by the king/knows secrets that only a select few people in the setting are privy to
>Still level 1
>>
File: 1391206531480.gif (753KB, 200x86px) Image search: [Google]
1391206531480.gif
753KB, 200x86px
>DM shows me his super unique setting
>Literally anything called "The Veil"
>>
>The character's backstory has ANYTHING involving the killing of a dog.
This is the slightly clever but not really method of creating a sociopathic character. It's either a bad villain NPC we're supposed to encounter, or a worse character you have to deal with constantly.
>>
>The character is min-maxed
>>
>>53831260
Is that a recurring thing? I mean of all the edgy things to do that seems pretty tame
>>
>>53829126
It is fine as long as he has background in other styles.
>>
>>53831260
My character cares for his lord’s dogs, he regulary has to put down the sick ones to keep the pack healthy and the ones hurd too badly so they wont suffer.

Am I edgy?
>>
>>53831260
The dog contacted rabies trying to protect the character from wild animal attack, in his youth. The character had to put it down. The character is a level 1 ranger with Favored Enemy: Animal.
>>
>>53831404
>>53831416

Uh-oh you've triggered the dogfags now.
>>
>>53831260
What if it was someone else killing their dog that set off their adventure.
>>
>>53829126
>>53829342
>>53831067
i unironically like all of these ideas

>>53831101
this is nonsense

>>53831149
why?????

>>53831316
a GM should supervise chargen
>>
>The character is a dog.
>>
>>53831067
I actually strongly dissuaded my players from making characters like this for an upcoming game. There's just too much social and community shit that'll be central to the game's themes and having a "Edgy Mctrenchcoat" character isn't going to do them any favors. I only have one player that goes down that road sometimes, so I'm not really worried, but now I'm kinda chuckling about the fact that I may get ALL characters like that just to fuck with me.
>>
>>53829342
>his 6 feet 2 knight's sigil isn't a black rooster
>his moniker isn't "the big black cock"
>>
>>53831260
No problem with that
One of our Changeling players has a trash-eater character that considers live dogs to be among the finest deliquacies
>>
>player expects his martial artist to be as good as a wizard
>>
>>53829126
>his character uses dual wielded weapons unironically
I'll accept it if hes a performer or something like that but otherwise its just impractical and silly
>>
>>53831663
Unless you're running something gritty and realistic - Delta Green or WHFB or something - is this really that big a deal?

If the most impractical thing a Solar Exalt tries is dual-wielding, it's a boring day in Creation
>>
>>53829126
It isn't very effective compared to the more traditional styles he was initially trained in, but it has some specific redeeming feature or symbolic meaning to that character, so he stays in practice.
>>
>>53831657
If that expectation turns to be not respected, the system is shit.
>>
>>53831561

I AM EDGY MCTRENCHCOAT
>>
>>53831468
nbc
>>
>>53831656
Sounds like someone needs to have a meeting with a Huntsman, or several.
>>
>>53831483
t. never played TMNT
>>
File: the pale night.jpg (434KB, 1059x1022px) Image search: [Google]
the pale night.jpg
434KB, 1059x1022px
>>53831149
>Not having a sexy female enchantress in your Arabian Nights who is a master illusionist and wears nothing but a single, long, body covering Veil, thus the name
Fucking peasant.
>>
>>53832190
spooky
>>
>>53832190
nice character concept for my fapfic
>>
>>53829126
LITERALLY every single Tao in Anima: Beyond Fantasy. That's how martial arts work.
>>
>>53832190
you cant trick me mr. skelington, i see that foot. you are no sexy lady in the nude, you are a seklington
>>
>>53831483
Had a party member once who was a Halfling cavalier mounted on a dire-corgi. During a boss fight, halfling died, too early for us to have access to resurrection. The corgi got Awakened by a local centaur shaman and the player just swapped to playing the corgi.
>>
>>53832251
Fun fact, that's actually a concept art someone did for Pale Night.
A demon Queen-Mother so damn fucked up that reality itself decided to just put a cover over it and not peek under.
>>
>>53832282
Did the corgi avenge his comrade
>>
File: john-wick-image-keanu-reeves.jpg (1MB, 3000x1997px) Image search: [Google]
john-wick-image-keanu-reeves.jpg
1MB, 3000x1997px
>>53831260
>>53831447
Think of me, I'll never break your heart.
Think of me, you're always in the dark.
I am your light, your light, your light.
Think of me, you're never in the dark.
>>
>>53832397
I heard the movie was actually good. Is he seriously killing them because they killed his dog? Because that's fucking amazing.
>>
>>53832415
Anon, please go right now and watch John Wick. Then watch the sequel. It's an absolutely excellent action movie with really nicely choreographed sequences and surprisingly interesting and fun lore.
>>
>>53831101
>knows secrets that only a select few people in the setting are privy to

The last one is possible for a level 1, and could even be a good hook for why they're now murderhoboing about.
>>
>>53831404
It's just weirdly specifically realistic.
>>
>>53832425
Alright. Sounds good.
>>
>>53831657
It's a failure of the system, not of the character.
>>
>>53829126
Why this one is wrong?
>>
>>53829126
>>His character developed his fighting style by himself.
I'd tell the player to alter it to:
>his character learned a brand new fighting style from an old martial arts master - and he's the first student in the school

This way, the player gets what he wants but it's less chuunibyu mary-sue shite.
>>
>>53832415
Go watch them

You take a retired assassin who's wife died and left him a dog. That dog and his fancy car she always loved were the only things in his life he enjoyed. Then you kill the dog and take the car, I'd say thats a good enough reason
>>
>>53832522
Alternative:
>character is a wizard that learned fighting/warrior that learned magic and combines both schools into one

That way you have the character creating a new "school of fighting" by combining knowledge it already knows.
>>
>>53832538
Wow, an entire race of humans and no-one figured it out maybe they could light someone on fire AND hit them over the head with a stick at the same time?
>>
>>53832190
A woman wearing a full body veil in Arabian Nights setting? Very halal.
>>
>>53831657
Typical dwarves
>>
>>53829126
>fighting style
The fuck are you on about?
Unless you play Legends of the Wulin there ARE no "fighting styles", just fighting.
>>
>>53829342
My next vigilante character is going to be The Dark Black Shadow.
>>
>>53829126
>>53832522
Neither of you have been in many fights, huh? It's not a video game or a martial arts movie, kiddos.
>>
>>53831440
t. mudslime
>>
>>53833697
Depends on the system, actually.
But in D&D (as seems to be the basic assumption in all threads of this kind) it's not really relevant; attack bonus is attack bonus and Monk fighting styles are literally their own thing, everyone else just.....fights.
>>
>>53829126
There is literally nothing wrong with this, especially if it involves eye gouges and kicks to the genitals.
>>
>>53833697
>have a player who's done amateur MMA for a decade
>choreographs all of his grapple, pins and disarm attempts with vivid and realistic detail
Plays a great paladin. Constantly exasperated by our swashbuckler and bard making friends with friendly, but lawful evil npcs.
>>
>>53833693
"Shadow, the Dark Black"
>>
>>53829342
>>53833693
Oh, this reminds me. You know what's worse than a player having a character whose name includes "dark", "black", or "shadow"? We wanted another player for our game and got hooked up with this guy via a friend of a friend. We went to pick him up at a restaurant a few blocks away and our conversation went something like this.
>"Hey, Tom. I'm Matt." *
>"Call me Shadow."
>"What?"
>"I'm Shadow."
>"Uh. Okay. Hi. I'm Matt.
>"Say my name."
>"...what?"
>"What's my name?"
>[reluctantly] "Uh... Shadow..."

He endlessly bloviate about moronic shits, like how you could detect underground water using a lead weight on a string, because the lead is be attracted to the water because they have the same density. He was truly insufferable and we never gamed with him again.

*The names have been changed to protect the innocent.
>>
>>53829126
His dad was a wannabe martial arts master with zero experience but a with a flame in his heart. Character was always embarassed or outright critical of his father's passtime until his father used the fighting style to fend off attackers only to be killed at the end of the fight due to the inefficiency of the fighting style.

Character mourns his father for a few years, with some nagging feeling recurring during that time. He finally decides to set fourth to make something of his father's style and suddenly feels at peace with himself.

I'd play it.
>>
>>53833968
so you play a monk in any D&D edition and die the same way, it's perfect.
>>
>>53833994
I'd love to play that character and die that way. It'd make sense if the character was a romantic. A close to death encounter could have him give up practice and have him be haunted by regret or he could die with his wishes unfulfilled.

I don't mind having my characters die if it's impactful.
>>
>>53833697
it's a game of tabletop make believe with funny shaped anal beads we roll to make random numbers.
But yes certainly not a video game.
>>
>>53834037
to be completely honest I'm a little peeved that I don't have more players like you.
Everybody's gotta have a 'full campaign story' oof.

Keep doing your thing.
>>
I would allow someone to have a fighting style they developed on their own, although it would only be on a iniate lvl at the start(really minor bonuses) and he would have to spend time, money/resources and character points to improve it. The player would be given the choice for each lvl of his fighting skill he developed, for either better ac, attack, dmg, initiative, number of attacks, number of blocks/parry just to name a few. As a founder of the fighting style, once he reach a sufficient lvl in his fighting style he could start teaching other npcs or even players his unique fighting style. It would not do anything spectacular but would give him another set of bonuses than the regular standard fighting styles offered by local guilds/armies etc. Naturally, major bonuses like more attacks would only be possible at major milestones during the development of his fighting style.
>>
>>53833697
This is a game. Old martial arts secrets and kung fu treachery are fun.
>>
>>53832251
You're also a skeleton. You doctor told me.
>>
>>53833620
There are fighting styles in real life.
Also even games like DnD and Pathfinder have a few mentions of fighting styles in the form of feats and monk abilities.
>>
File: 1433121746902.png (83KB, 212x218px) Image search: [Google]
1433121746902.png
83KB, 212x218px
>>53832008
>system is shit if it doesn't have affirmative action for martials
>>
>>53829126
Swordchucks yo.
>>
>>53834078
Because they're shit players. If we play a campaign then we make characters with a reason to stick to the campaign. A character who's just out to get his head dashed against the rocks every encounter is a problem character no matter what little snowflake backstory was written up to justify it. If "that's just what my character would do!" then make a different one that wouldn't.
>>
File: Untitled.png (6KB, 50x44px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
6KB, 50x44px
>>53833994
Are you implying that monk is bad in all editions of D&D
>>
File: game balance.png (173KB, 1876x919px) Image search: [Google]
game balance.png
173KB, 1876x919px
>>53831657
>>
>>53834408
>t. nerd who was bullied by jocks because he couldn't even perform a single push-up
Buhlman pls go and stay go
>>
>>53834748
There is nothing more amusing than watching a lanklet attempt pullups
>>
>>53833994
But Monks are good in 4E!
>>
>>53834716
Okay, so instead we just cap fighters at level 2.
>>
>>53834821
Fuck off Paizo, you're shit at game design
>>
>>53834821
>Hercule don't exist
>No no not Achilles either
>Gilgamesh who?
Mythology is littered with muscly dudes who could chokeslam monsters five hundred times their size with magic swords that can cut theoretical concepts but yeah nah, Fighters have to be realistic, only the Fighters.
>>
>>53834539
Monk guy here. I agree with what you're saying and I think there is a point where character drive has to bend to keeping the party together and the story moving. With that in mind, you don't play that monk looking to get his shit ruined, you just play him as a romantic idealist and let the dice fall how they will.

Or are you saying you want a party full of fully optimized powergamers?
>>
>>53831101
>Level 1 game
>His PC is apparently a master of combat, won over 100 major wars by 18 years of age
>Is a complete master at combat and has led the ruin of entire nations
>Is murderhoboing because, in his words" he got chased out because the Queen loved him so much the King got jealous, but he slaughtered the entire royal guard by himself on the way out."
>He's still level 1 mind you

I'm glad he was at least reasonable enough to go with a few changes
>He participated in 2 major wars, but he was a foot soldier who had little to no impact on the first, and caught a lucky break that scored him points on the second
>The lucky break was him learning of key enemy movements that eventually led to winning the war
>The princess made eyes at him, so the king had him "transferred" to the middle of bumfuck nowhere to keep him away.

Didn't help that during combat once the game actually started, he was a massive fucking coward that would hide behind the squishy party members, so the Wizard and Rogue ended up having to be the frontline because the Fighter wouldn't. His contributions to each fight tended to be "hiding behind whatever he could and skipping his turns until the combat was over.

He took 3 points of damage once, tore up his character sheet, then stormed out raving about how I'm a killer GM that's just trying to TPK the party. The guy who invited him still has no idea what the fuck was going on with him that day.
>>
>>53834716
Casters are always better or equal to fighting guys, that's just how it works because magic or its mechanical equivalent, be it technology or whatever, can always do more things, even if they aren't numerically better.
In a roleplaying game, having more options will always be better and limited mostly by the player's creativity and how many spells they can get(and if they can get only a few, they'll just get the ones that have dozens of uses), unless you're doing a game focused only on combat.

That poster is a fucking retard for other reasons though, 3e's problem for casters is not making them level up slowly or have to struggle to get components. It's perfectly fine for different options to be better or worse, as long as the game is built around the idea of some PCs being better than others, which is actually DnD's mistake.
>>
>>53831964
>im_sure_to_win_because_my_speed_is_superior.jpg
>>
>>53834766
>be lanklet in high school
>could still do the bare minimum number of push-ups and pull-ups to pass with an A

I still can't understand how this even happens.
>>
>>53834716

Who the hell plays level 20 characters anyway? Campaigns and characters past level 8 are for confirmed autists.
>>
File: images-2.jpg (9KB, 221x228px) Image search: [Google]
images-2.jpg
9KB, 221x228px
>>53829126
>>
>>53834973
The imbalance still pops up in earlier levels, though not to QUITE a drastic extent. It's still fairly noticeable though.
>>
>>53829126
>not playing Wong Fei Hung
>>
>>53831663
It's fine, he has 4 arms.
>>
>>53834873
>Gilgamesh
Demigod
>Hercules
Demigod
>Achilles
Physically invulnerable through magic
>wanting to play these
Yeah you sure convinced me you're not a problem player.
>>
>>53829126
He calls it "bullet to the head" style
>>
>>53835055
Pulling the demigod card is a bit silly considering a majority of the mythological spellcasters are also demigods of some sort.
>>
>>53832225
No! You must follow a manuscript and never change anything reeee!!!

>anon i want to pay a PURE duk'zarist
>>
>>53835055
You forgot all the wizards like Merlin or Gandalf who were explicitly demonic or divine.

Surprise surprise, they don't belong in fantasy as protagonists either - recurring NPCs at best - and thus D&D fails even in its supposed expert field of simulating a standard fantasy adventure.
>>
>>53835093
Point is mythology is a shit place to try and justify fantasy from because it's designed to fellate petty kings and nonexistent gods.

>>53835118
>playing D&D
>>
>>53831260
Literally one of central characters in lore of my setting was killing dogs, animals, children, old people as a way of life before shit hit the fan.

He was a pit fighter, gladiator of sorts, and Tribunal was sending everything they wanted to die into pits. So, rabid dogs, trained dogs, old criminals, children of high-standing people in opposition, beasts was sent to die there. Along with other gladiators, deserters, heretics and shit.
>>
>>53835152
>Point is mythology is a shit place to try and justify fantasy
I mean, sure, but in that case we should also be removing everything Wizards have that was inspired by mythology, since it's silly to have that dichotomy for no real reason.
>>
>>53835118
Gandalf makes sense, but Merlin's story doesn't put him in demigod territory.
The things he can pull off are akin to what demigods do, but he himself isn't related to any being close in power to a god.
>>
>>53835170
Wizards are wizards, dumbass, they're literally magic.
>>
>>53835205
And martials can't be heroically powerful because....?
>>
>>53829126
Honestly this one isn't even that bad. Some guy who learned how to fight by himself is a wuxia cliche. And I kind of doubt a random street thug turned merc or anyone like that learned how to fight in any official capacity instead of figuring it out though experience.
>>
File: mongrels.png (157KB, 601x548px) Image search: [Google]
mongrels.png
157KB, 601x548px
>Character age low enough to be on a 12 hour clock
>>
File: 1390709512185.gif (3MB, 400x311px) Image search: [Google]
1390709512185.gif
3MB, 400x311px
>>53835227
They're not magic. Or if they are magic, then acknowledge it consciously instead of just inflating numbers until it's viable.

Also
>heroically
>>
>>53835256
>They're not magic.
No one's asking them to be magic. Just heroic.

>le trash maymay

Have an upvote
>>
File: ilya.jpg (47KB, 1895x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ilya.jpg
47KB, 1895x1080px
>>53835246
So picrelated is okay, right?
>>
>>53831067
This kind of makes me want to play a half negro in some dudes dungeons and dragons game. Just to see how they would react to me trying to sell it.
>>
>>53835287
Except for the Prisma Illya version, technically yeah, and she does actually act her age in Heavens Feel at times.
>>
>>53835277
>I got called out = he's from rebbit
Good to see the caliber of person we're dealing with, who pushes the "heroic" bullshit like the manchild he is.
>>
>>53831067
Would it be any better to have the character not necessarily shunned by one of the 'sides' simply by being incredibly useful, but seen as an abomination regardless? A half ogre in a human society for example.
>>
>>53835309
Wanna know how I knew implying reddit would make you get defensive?
>>
>>53835297
Because you're one of the endless swarm of newfaggots who cry about rebbit to pretend they're not a transplant themselves. Probably browse /pol/ too. Adults are talking here.
>>
>>53835322
It's pretty much impossible to have a half anything according to /tg/. To them some random half elf being born due to his interest in his maid and some half angel half demon half vampire half furry is directly correlated and not at all dependent on the settings history.
>>
>>53835309
If you're not playing D&D for heroic fantasy, what the fuck are you even doing playing D&D?
>>
>>53835362
See again >>53835152
>playing D&D
>>
>>53835362
...Playing AD&D? 2e depending on what splats you include?
>>
>>53835256
Yeah this is the major problem with dungeons and dragons. They tried to stick some peasant pig fucker and gandolf into the same party and make it work. Lancelot or Cú Chulainn heroes are pretty much impossible to make work there. Mostly because they cut out how fighters were supposed to have entire armies with them.
>>
>>53835370
Just 3.PF actually.

Every other edition has it's merits, 3.PF is the only actual trash one, but it's the only one people seem to talk about or play for whatever fucking reason.
>>
>>53829342
I once played a character named Darkblack Moonshadow
>>
>>53835246
Honestly I tend to get pretty pissed when their is 50+. What the hell is grandpa doing out in the woods instead of making a living the normal way? And if he can't do that then how the hell did he survive long enough to think getting stabbed in the gut by orcs is a nice idea?

At least children or young teenagers can be justified with child soldiers or people without a support net trying to survive the best they can.
>>
>>53835246
So 60 or less?
>>
>>53831657
>wizard player expects regular rests
>also expects that magic resistant trinkets are rare
I made a wizard player cry not that long ago after I was upset with his constant bragging about how inferior martials are. Constant ambushes during rests unless done so in a safe environment, every hick had some sort of anti-magic charm (just like in reality where every dirtfarmer has/had at least one charm to ward off evil that his religion permits, bibles, clovers, pretty pebbles, etc.) and many places had anti-magic wards strewn all over the place (like christian crosses irl) disabling the 'offensive' magic schools like evocation and necromancy. You know, simple things that make sense. Armor is abundant, but nobody thought about protecting themselves from magic?
During the third session in a row where he only had access to his cantrips and had to rely on hitting things with his staff, he got so fed up with me not creating the perfect conditions used to argue caster supremacy for him that he yelled at me for 5 minutes and started crying, then he left.
>>
>>53835394
Cú Chulainn could also take whole armies by himself because of that warp spasm shit. He was the megatron of murdering people.
>>
>>53834917
>that's just how it works
No it isn't! Magic isn't real. Its limits are wholly limited by the game designers, as is everything else. There is no instrictic reason magic has to be super powerful or versatile.
>>
>>53835188
Merlin is half demon you twat
>>
>>53835605
How are rests not real? Just use rope trick to sleep then break SR enemies apart because most conjurations ignore it anyway.
>>
>>53835698
>warp spasm shit

I always get a kick out of that. He had something like 7 different hair and eyes colors and his shins reversed when that happened. Though honestly even lancelot and figures like that was pretty casually superhuman. I think part of the issues is they tried to stick a class that works like Conan into a world were the mages can instant cast. Which kind of breaks the dynamics that kind of story had.
>>
>>53835741
Exactly.
And a demon is in equal power to a god since when?
I'm sure you'd expect a guy who's Zeus's son to be leagues ahead of one who's the offspring of just a nameless demon(in most sources at least).
>>
>>53835829
>And a demon is in equal power to a god since when?

Well I would rate Zeus as about fairy might 50. So there should be plenty of demonic might 50 false gods around that could create him.
>>
>>53835848
Now you're just assuming things. Incubus aren't stronger than humans but they're not that strong.
>>
>>53829126
>His character saves all of his shit in a specially treated bag of holding so he can make a crap golem one day.
>>
>>53835866
Meant to say are.
>>
File: 1469930251282.jpg (107KB, 750x930px) Image search: [Google]
1469930251282.jpg
107KB, 750x930px
>>53831067
>>
>>53835752
>in before hundreds of goblins throwing interdimensional fireballs around randomly show up out of nowhere to kill everyone inside a rope trick so the GM can brag about "hurr durr Wizards r shit because I can instakill them whenever as the GM"

And that is the time we realized why the GM kept whining about how hard it is to find a group these days and left.
>>
>>53835752
>Just use rope trick
Lasts 1 hour, barely enough to get a short rest in, leaves a fat fucking magic mark in the area, meaning anyone or anything that can detect magic (like enemy spellcasters or enemies that in my games actually make use of magic items and scrolls) will have the place surrounded by guards in no time. Also if he already has no spell slots available, what makes you think he could use rope trick?

>break SR with conjuration
Good luck with that when you have to pass varying strengths of DCs to even be capable of casting these spells.
>>
>>53835866
That was honestly mostly a joke about a different setting. In general though yeah I agree in most settings a incubus won't be that powerful. Then again we don't really know what incubus it was or what it's nature was.
>>
>>53835605

And than everyone on the train started applauding.
>>
>>53835605
It always is funny to me to toss competent enemies at people who think just being a caster means they'll be unstoppable. People don't really seem to realize the GM can min-max far easier then they can.
>>
>His dragonborn fighter NEEDS to have functional wings at first level or he won't play
>>
>>53835055
Diomedes. He was a regular dude who went toe-to-toe with gods during the Trojan War.
>>
>>53835605
And then did everyone on the bus give you a standing ovation?
>>
>>53835987
>Lasts 1 hour
Per level. By level 8, it's long enough to last an entire short rest.

>no spell slots available
Please tell me you're just pretending to be retarded.

>Good luck with that when you have to pass varying strengths of DCs to even be capable of casting these spells.

Do you not know how SR works?
>>
>>53836101
>>53836019
Yes, and my crush from high-school was also there and gave me a blowjob.

I DMed for a group from the 5e discord, and if you've ever been there you'll know that half of the people there are sheltered college communists.
>>
>>53836124
I know how SR works, but the enemies carry SR items and their lair has anti-magic zones strewn about everywhere.

Also perhaps we're talking about different editions, but 5e's rope trick lasts 1 hour.
>>
>>53836162
>their lair has anti-magic zones strewn about everywhere
Well, congratulations, you've just completely fucked over any chance the Fighter has of doing anything.

Meanwhile, the Wizard has the perilous danger of..just not going into them.
>>
>>53836089
>athena's favorite warrior
>watched over and empowered by athena
>literally rode in a fucking chariot with athena

>a regular dude
>>
>>53835987
He'd just prepare trick beforehand

>1 hour

1 hour/level, unless it's 5e, in which case, it's not an edition where caster supremacy is that much of an issue anyway.

>pass DCs to be able to cast those spells

You said only necromancy and evocation, now you're adding another one. But if that is the case, now you have created a place where the people living there can't use healing magic on themselves because those are conjurations too. They also can't use interdimensional travel, both are things with relative importance depending on the place, not to mention they hinder their own casters, which should often outnumber the players.

That is assuming he doesn't just prepare stuff from most schools to alternate as needed or just makes a druid/cleric anyway and keeps being a caster while also having an alternative if he's not able to use spells.

I get your ideas, but they just make you look like you're a pissed DM about a system having better casters by default and instead of trying to work with the system to counter it, you need to make up stuff to beat them. For instance, most spells list components needed to cast them, you can simply make it so whenever they learn a new spell they need to find a relaible source of components, or rule that certain areas would make it hard to find those, like a tentacle to cast black tentacles if the party finds itself in a desert.
>>
>>53835116
>Pure Duk'Zarist
Sure. Just give me, oh, a month to figure out a proper Illuminati campaign, and to get a few other players willing to play pure Duks so you're not gimped by that +3 LA and the -5 exp penalty.
Oh, and encounters are going to be harder for you guys due to that LA, just a heads up.
>>
File: T2Dqlv5.jpg (232KB, 667x862px) Image search: [Google]
T2Dqlv5.jpg
232KB, 667x862px
>>53829126
>It consists of shouting out the names of famous shoemakers while spinning around and flailing your arms like a lunatic.
> -10 to hit
> +2 to intimidation
>>
>>53835116
>duk'zarist
>pure

Elves are lewd! Oh wait you meant as in bloodline? You better hope to fuck you are starting level 5-6 to avoid turning into dust.
>>
>>53836184
He didn't have it at all times, though he did have Athena watching overt him most of the time. He was able to easily best Ajax in combat without help though, and wounding Ares with a regular-ass spear is still an impressive feat. That being said, he was more known for his cunning and leadership skills like Odysseus.
>>
>>53836186
>"disabling the 'offensive' magic schools like evocation and necromancy"
>like
Dumbass.

Also not a single class was exempt from having to work around actually smart enemies. For example one orc bastion was so dedicated to Gruumsh that the elf cleric in the group could not invoke their gods and suffered from a headache while inside of the main chambers. Until they killed the shamans that is.
>>
>>53836186
I like his idea of having common people have change against magic and having competent enemies who attack during rests, but it really does seem like he's going out of his way to be spiteful to casters.
>>
>>53836292
Well, smart wasn't the right word to use in this context, perhaps capable or competent would've been better.
>>
>>53831067
What if we do a spin on it and it's that they're shunned by fairly minor and otherwise isolationist communities and this is what sparks them to leave and join in the greater community the setting is more focused on? Like a man who's half Japanese/Chinese and is hated by both of those communities giving him reason to come the Shadowrun America.

I also know nothing about Shadowrun lore in that area so I apologize if I missed some sort of easing of tensions between the two people.
>>
>>53836312
You are correct, in that specific game I ramped up the anti-magic bullshit to spite that one person to show him that caster supremacy exists only at the lenciency of the DM.
>>
File: laughingdrink.jpg (103KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
laughingdrink.jpg
103KB, 413x395px
>>53829126
>run away from every combat
>>
>>53836292
Sure, but that is a bigger advantage for the party, now those dangerous shamans also can't use dangerous spells against them, which is pretty helpful. They also can't heal themselves, and it's not like the wizard could before, so in the end it's a net gain for the party.

Also, you realise the spell that actually counters magic, antimagic field, is an 8th level one, by the point the party is able to go up against dragons and high ranking demons or similar, and you're saying enemies can achieve that, even if against only specific schools, but in such a huge scale?

If that was the case, the party should instead drop what they're doing and just get a bunch of charms to beat other casters as well. Why bother killing those shamans if they could carry an anti divination charm inside and stop them from contacting their god?
>>
>>53836376
>Nani?
>H-he's fast!
>The way he fled from combat, it is a style I have seen once before and prayed I would never see again
>Sensei!?
>It is the ancient martial art of Bawk-fu. They are a style of fighting that is completely undefeated
>They have never won a fight, but they have never lost, because they ran.
>>
>>53829126
You know that someone had to create different fighting styles right?
>>
>>53835605
Maybe I should give a few examples of how I designed the world.
The land in which this campaign took place was kind of like a high-fantasy gothic-style Bavaria, lots of temples and holy symbols everywhere, highly devout population. Every house had a holy symbol above the door and several more inside. Every single one of these symbols created a zone that warded off evil and hindered 'evil' spellcasting / divine evocations towards evil gods. More expensive materials correlated with a higher DC to enter the zone (for evil creatures) or cast spells in the zone regardless.

The first big dungeon my players entered was a small bandit fort. The bandits were not spellcasters, they were simple fighters, barbarians and rogues, so to avoid being torn apart by some wizard they put wards all around their fort, holy symbols and tapestry, innocuous things. The DCs weren't high and the wizard and cleric of the group easily beat them, and this was intended to be my tutorial for them. See a holy symbol? Shoot it down. See a tapestry? Set it ablaze. The wizard could've easily invested in a sling by that point. I did not give them hints about this, only told them where and what the cause of those zones were on a successful perception check. A high-int wizard SHOULD be able to figure out that you can just destroy those wards.

Other lair examples include the already mentioned orc stronghold which had such devout followers of Gruumsh that the mere presence of the elf cleric in the stronghold gave them a headache and barred divine spellcasting inside of the main chambers until the priests were incapacitated or dead.

Another was a necromancer's lair who used wards against anything BUT necromancy.
>>
>>53836439
Stop misrepresenting me. (Gruumsh's divine presence stops the ELF cleric from invoking their ELVISH gods? SO THE ORCS CAN'T INVOKE GRUUMSH EITHER HAHA!)

Stop ruleslawyering. It wasn't anti-magic fields as per the spell.

Now go and create even more ridiculous multi-classing options and brag about how overpowered spellcasters are, then have a little cry about how those ebil DMs won't put you in perfect situations to make use of your one million DPR infini-smite PalaSorc, or SorcLock, or nuclear druid.
>>
>>53836184
>Road with Athena
Lucky guy
>>
>>53829342
Hi, I'm Fuligin.
>>
>>53829126
Bruce Lee?
>>
>>53836740
I said two separate things: anti spell charms(not the shaman ritual) should affect other wizards and casters. Charms aren't smart and differentiate things.

The other one was that the party should get charms for themselves and carry them around because they're strong. Anti divination charms would've beat the shamans.
>>
>>53829126
>character is from a part of the world so remote it's implausible they'd make it to the starting area
>>
>>53836848
Why tf did you mention shamans then?
Of course those charms affect non-player spellcasters as well, but the players neither thought of bringing such a ward with them, not did the wizard think about destroying the enemy wards, which the enemy spellcasters would certainly try to do. The existing wards were put up by the same enemies they were fighting, so they are in accordance with their abilities. If they have no offensive casters, why allow any spells at all? If they have fire mages with them, why would they create anti-evocation zones?
>>
>>53834821
You're joking, but it actually was better to take 5 levels of racial paragon than be a 7th level Fighter. That's how bad 3.5 was.

If I ran it again I'd basically just force people to either play ToB martials or drop the level requirements on any martial PrC to like +3 BAB.
>>
File: vanderbeekspittake.gif (331KB, 275x200px) Image search: [Google]
vanderbeekspittake.gif
331KB, 275x200px
>>53836809
>literally blackface

my sides
>>
>>53831657
>thinks magic users should be more powerful or have a broader set of abilities than other archetypes
>>
>>53836184
You think she ever peeped on him when he was having sexy times with the other Greek warriors?

You think she ever got herself off to it?
>>
>>53829342
>>53835431
>>53833693

Neil Gaiman is the ultimate edgelord
>>
File: 1497373301005.jpg (12KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1497373301005.jpg
12KB, 250x250px
>>53829126
> this character is in a campaign where X class/race would not make sense and be potentially game altering, but the player is going to do it anyway because they want to and it's all about them
>>
>>53835055
Ok, then let's get rid of the Fighter class and replace it with Demigod. You start off a little above human, and grow to the point where you're moving mountains and rivers and strangling dragons.
>>
>>53837476
That's better.
>>
>>53831657
Shut the fuck up, Cook, you ruined DND.
>>
>>53835809
>I think part of the issues is they tried to stick a class that works like Conan into a world were the mages can instant cast.

But Conan kills powerful spellcasters all the time
>>
>>53835055
Achilles being invulnerable is massively overstated in modern pop culture. Read the Iliad: Achilles is unkillable because he's just that good a fighter, not because of magic. Hell, the only prophecy that actually applies to him is that, should he stay and fight for the Achaians, he will die young, in battle, but win great renown.
>>
>>53837673
>Achilles is unkillable because he's just that good a fighter, not because of magic
In some of the myths the heel is the only part of his mortality that wasn't burned off or some shit
>>
>>53837673
>[865] She spake, and vanished into the depths of the sea; but sharp pain smote Peleus, for never before had he seen her come, since first she left her bridal chamber and bed in anger, on account of noble Achilles, then a babe. For she ever encompassed the child's mortal flesh in the night with the flame of fire; and day by day she anointed with ambrosia his tender frame, so that he might become immortal and that she might keep off from his body loathsome old age. But Peleus leapt up from his bed and saw his dear son gasping in the flame; and at the sight he uttered a terrible cry, fool that he was; and she heard it, and catching up the child threw him screaming to the ground, and herself like a breath of wind passed swiftly from the hall as a dream and leapt into the sea, exceeding wroth, and thereafter returned not again.
http://www.theoi.com/Text/ApolloniusRhodius4.html
>>
>>53835093
>>53835055
Literally ALL the mythological spellcasters of power were demigods or outright gods. Or fucking -timelords-.
>>
>he shoehorned corgis into his weebshit setting so that it would be popular on /tg/
>>
>>53836356
Then you are just as bad as he is, if not worse
>>
>>53837793
Updates for Alice when?
>>
>>53837551
Yeah, but he lives in a world where maegs can't instant cast. They take a while to cast a spell.
>>
File: saint elmo's fire.webm (2MB, 320x600px) Image search: [Google]
saint elmo's fire.webm
2MB, 320x600px
>>53837835
λ3
>>
>gm ran out of ideas for his setting so he just shoehorns lovecraft "you cannot comprehend the true machinations at work!" tentacle deep sea bullshit in there to cover for holes in the story
you read a wikipedia summary of at the mountains of madness, stop doing this
>>
>>53837551
Conan casters are weak as shit compared to your average deeandee wizard
>>
>>53829126
I get where you're coming from but
>What are martial arts in general
Like that one old guy that got stuck in prison and made a new style by watching the monkeys outside his bared window. It can be done well. Just have them describe it or how it relates to an existing one.
>>
>>53832282
Did he roleplay it with a realistic Corgi personality?
>>
>>53832415
In a way, yes, but I think the broader point is that he's killing them because they took away what the dog represented to him.
>>
File: arpin_lusene.jpg (25KB, 268x286px) Image search: [Google]
arpin_lusene.jpg
25KB, 268x286px
I once played in a game where another player was the ultimate master thief... despite being lvl 1.
That guy has stormed out of the group a long time ago but the gm kicks himself in the head for his leniency to this day over that particular game. All things considered, I don't remember being really all that mad about the thief guy back then.
>>
>>53838100
your ass bout to get lit up like some st elmo's mother fucker
>>
>>53829126
yes and? how the fuck do you think different types of martial arts were developed?
>>
>>53835055
>Merlin
Son of Lucifer
>Morgan le Fay
Fairy
>Circe
Goddess
>Medea
Demigoddess
>Baba Yaga
Non-specific monster
>Abe no Seimei
Half-kitsune
>Most other magicians in East Asian myth
Enlightenment
>Any magician in the Bible
Empowered either by demons or god himself
>>
File: 28952456_p4.jpg (139KB, 500x675px) Image search: [Google]
28952456_p4.jpg
139KB, 500x675px
>>53829126
>It's super gay and based around fire damage
>>
File: n pookie.png (375KB, 990x685px) Image search: [Google]
n pookie.png
375KB, 990x685px
>>53829126
Pathfinder; Eldritch Guardian Fighter with the wasp familiar feat
>not making your own fighting style
>that revolves around feints & dirty fighting with a tandem partner
>while you drive the enemy insane with
>>
File: miyamoto musashi.jpg (164KB, 800x1160px) Image search: [Google]
miyamoto musashi.jpg
164KB, 800x1160px
>>53829126
Is Musashi a Mary Sue now?
>>
>>53839327
Everyone and everything is a mary sue.
>>
>>53836066
THIS. EVERY FUCKING TIME. WHY DO I EVEN PLAY WITH NEW PLAYERS?

THERE'S DRAGONBORN?! WHAAAAT? THEY DON'T HAVE SHOUTS/WINGS? THIS IS DUMB. CAN I HAVE WINGS?

AND THEN THEY RUN AROUND SCREAMING "I AM A DRAGON". THREE. SEPARATE. OCCASIONS.

FUCK.
>>
File: ccf16815701905.56353b6030a58.jpg (330KB, 1085x567px) Image search: [Google]
ccf16815701905.56353b6030a58.jpg
330KB, 1085x567px
>>53835055
>Not wanting to play as a demigod

What are you gay? I fucking love demigods. Demigods are the best.
>>
>>53837551
Conan casters needed hours, if not days, of prep in order to successfully cast their spells while D&D mages can cast spells with the same speed as a sword swing.

If conan casters were as powerful as D&D mages, Conan would've been a smoky red smudge on the side of the wall.
>>
>>53829126
I have my characters say that even when it's not true.
>>
>>53836045
>>53836356
If you're a GM and you purposefully min-max to show up someone in the party then congrats, you've officially reached THAT GM status.

Your job isn't to purposefully position yourself opposite of the party, your job is to facilitate the world that you've presented to the party while making sure that the rules are consistent without sacrificing game flow.

The moment you decide to engage in Player vs. DM faggotry, not only are you setting a dangerous precedent from that point forward but now, anyone who was going out of their way to fuck with you is going to fuck with you even harder out of spite, which will degrade into an arm's race.

Next time you feel the need to do this, just stand up from the table, point to the offending players, and show them the door. It gets the point across and it allows you to deal with the problem without stooping to their level.
>>
>>53837442
Athena was 100% a huge fujo.
>>
>>53835394
The thing is that in early editions, wizards also started as peasant pig fuckers and stayed that way for most their career. They were buffed high into the sky for 3.5.
>>
>>53837410
Magic users should be more powerful than martials, otherwise it's pointless to have magic. Magic should be designed to be unbalanced and overpowered with recommendations for players to not play as magic users in a normal campaign.
>>
>>53838737
>Merlin
Christianized
>Morgan le Fay
Christianized
>Circe
Not an example
>Medea
Basically human
>Baba Yaga
Basically human
>Abe no Seimei
Fully human
>Most other magicians in East Asian myth
Fully human
>Any magician in the Bible
Christianized

0/8 see me after class
>>
>>53834821
Only if a level 2 fighter gets all the features of a level 20 fighter.
>>
>>53840130
See >>53835256
Inflating numbers is no way to go.
>>
File: 1490155358235.jpg (143KB, 516x710px) Image search: [Google]
1490155358235.jpg
143KB, 516x710px
>>53837551
Conan caster's aren't direct combat guys. They use long rituals for scrying or binding monster or creating weapons. They are more like craftsman than superheroes.

If a Hyborian wizard is throwing fireballs it's not because he plucked them out of the air, he spent hours making each individual ball. His monstrous guardians took days to summons, but they also don't have expiration dates.

I think the only relatively quick spells they can cast are mental and spiritual manipulations. Bend the will of mortals, turning or dominating outsiders that sort of thing. Even then it would take several rounds for those to take effect.

ALSO it's worth noting that old school D&D mages needed a number of rounds to cast a spell equal to a spells level. So wizards who can spit out a spell every round is a relatively new thing.
>>
>>53840151
What if we kill the rogue and give his stuff to all the other martials so they gain some versatility.
>>
>>53840100
So you consider demigods and monsters "basically human", but exclusively in the context of talking about translating mythological characters to D&D wizards (and specifically not as martials)? And before Christianization Merlin would either not even fit as a wizard or still be of ambiguously non-human parentage. Morgan le Fay not being human is not a result of Christianization. How is having a yokai parent "fully human"? How is achieving enlightenment or being in the path to it interchangeable with a D&D wizard?

Most importantly, why do you talk out of your ass so much?
>>
>>53840450
Then you just end up with every fighter being Batman. Nobody but batfags like Batman.
>>
>>53840683
You're right. It's not a Fighter if it can do more than one thing.
>>
>>53840703
>Fighter
>doing even one thing well
>>
>>53840720
I didn't say well.
>>
>>53840560
>So you consider demigods and monsters "basically human"
When I say "basically human" I mean that having magic is primarily what makes them abhuman, as opposed to having magic because they're abhuman.
>And before Christianization
I'm not talking about "before Christianization"; it's just that Christianized myths are simply not at all applicable to the discussion at hand due to how iron-fisted the theology is.
>How is having a yokai parent "fully human"?
He was an actual historical person that and later had someone's magical realm backstory tacked on ex post facto.
>How is achieving enlightenment or being in the path to it interchangeable
Magic through personal mental effort.

All this is beside the point because, as stated earlier, mythology is a shite place to look for fantasy unless you intend your setting to be cousinfuckingly mythological like that.
>>
>>53835465
>Be grandfather
>Love all of my children and grandchildren dearly
>My eldest son, a stout man apprenticed to a blacksmith, and his two sons die from plague
>His younger brother, my second eldest and a man who could never contain his curiosity to learn new things and see new sights, becomes an adventurer and is killed by a trap he didn't notice while exploring an ancient tomb. His fiance and teammate, pregnant with his child, disappears without a trace after she brought back what remained of his corpse to be buried.
>My first daughter, a somewhat plain girl who was none the less swept up in a whirlwind romance with a traveling merchant, was caught in an orc raid along with her husband and three children. After the orcs slaughtered her husband and children, she slit her own throat to avoid being taken captive.
>My youngest daughter, a sweet and innocent girl who fell in love with the baker, died in childbirth, and her infant daughter died from illness less than a year later
>My wife passes away in her sleep. Her last days were filled with tears over our lost children and grandchildren.
>Rage at the world for what happened to my family, rage at the injustice of it all.
>Finally break down and cry
>Intend to take my own life, but something stops me
>Dig through the basement for the last thing my son made before his death, a plain sword for a mercenary who never returned to pick it up when it was finished.
>Perhaps he died from the plague as well.
>The sword is rusted in some places, and has gone dull with age and lack of care, but it will do.
>Strap a sachel full of provisions and supplies to my back, and the sword in a poorly-made sheath I stitched together myself.
>Maybe even these old bones can make a difference for someone, somewhere.
>If I can save just one person from the loss that I've felt.
>Then maybe I can make the world just a little more Good and Just.
>>
File: 1487052707057.png (6KB, 366x286px) Image search: [Google]
1487052707057.png
6KB, 366x286px
>>53840863
>His fiance
>>
>>53840892
Son of a bitch, I always mess up those gendered psuedo-french words
>>
>>53840863
Bready edgy but I'd play with it
>>
>>53840797
> I mean that having magic is primarily what makes them abhuman
I could give you that with Baba Yaga, but fucking Medea is primarily abhuman because she has Helios in the family tree. Most other classical Greek magician figures would much better fit as clerics in a D&D context. Circe, again, was an actual goddess. Even if you think they don't apply she was recommended in the 2e PHB as inspiration for a wizard.
>Christianized myths are simply not at all applicable
To most people, Merlin, as depicted in the Arthurian legend is practically synonymous with "wizard", so it's not very relevant if he's Christianized. If I asked a random person on the street to tell me about a legendary or mythological magician Merlin would likely be their first or second pick. Also, he was another of the recommendations in the 2e PHB
>He was an actual historical person that and later had someone's magical realm backstory tacked on ex post facto.
I know. Which version do you think I was talking about, in this context?
>Magic through personal mental effort.
Not really. It's more directly comparable to a saint's miracles than magic in the western D&D sense
>>
>>53841065
And before going forward about the enlightenment thing, take in mind I meant it from their role and intent in myths, not from literally being empowered by a deity like Christian saints are. They were not thought of as "just humans". In China in particular the 8 immortals are treated as deities in all but name
>>
>>53832251
This faggot doesn't want to fuck a skeleton! What a fucking dweeb!
>>
>>53840448
It's funny because the strongest D&D Wizards work EXACTLY like that. It's the fireball slingers that are chumps to deal with, even in D&D.
>>
>>53833813
Nice. I love when players bring real life knowledge like that to the game, makes it more interesting for everyone.
>>
>>53831067
I mean, as a person who's actually of mixed race and ethnicity, I can attest that that is pretty much exactly what that's like. Of course, the "loner" thing is kind of redundant.
>>
>>53841065
>>53841145
>fucking Medea is primarily abhuman because she has Helios in the family tree
Dodgy. Medea may have been descended from Helios but her use of magic is connected with her being a priestess of Hecate, unconnected with her divine ancestry.
>If I asked a random person on the street
It doesn't matter what the random person on the street says, because most of them aren't interested in fantasy and those that are wouldn't be in the mindset of analyzing fantasy settings at the moment you asked them. Half of them would probably blurt "Gandalf" or "Dumbledore" at first.
>It's more directly comparable to a saint's miracles than magic in the western D&D sense
That's just not accurate. If we extend the "role and intent" of something which one analogizes with "a saint's miracles" all the way out to the "not just humans" of East Asian myths then we need to drop the association with bearded sky fairies, leaving us with... oh, gee, none other than a sage or wizard, who gains power through understanding.
>In China in particular the 8 immortals are treated as deities in all but name
Not so. Xian are distinctly known as humans who have become immortals. They're not deities which one prays to but rather are depicted semiotically for their association with the concepts they embody because of their achievements.

Again, mythology is only very tangentially relevant. We're talking about fantasy, not myth.
>>
File: 2014-06-24 21.17.34.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
2014-06-24 21.17.34.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>53829126
>>53829342
Here you go OP

It's been over a decade now since this was submitted to me, but I still vividly recall how hard I laughed the first time I saw it like it was yesterday

I actually just found out a few weeks ago that the guy who wrote this raped some girls and then shot himself within the past year, so there's that too
>>
File: 1492435343717.jpg (49KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1492435343717.jpg
49KB, 500x375px
>>53829126
>his character remembers the basics of cqc
>>
>>53841569
i think this kind of character is fine to rp as if you're actually mixed-race, and not at all if you're doing it to be cool and don't give a single care about actual mixed-race people
>>
>>53831260

You talking shit about John Wick?
>>
>>53842310
Since when is something not OK to do if you think it's cool? I don't give a shit about actual do-gooders or evil cunts but I still pallies and necromancers.

Similarly, I don't give a single shit about halfies and I will continue playing half-elves or whatever.
>>
File: thinking-face.png (53KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
thinking-face.png
53KB, 256x256px
>>53829126
>A thread of autistic GM's complaining about autistic players
>>
>>53842397
To be fair, it is a pretty retarded thing to make the primary motivation of a character for a 2 hr long movie where dozens of guys get killed.

>(Gravelly voice) They killed my dog. I'll make them PAY.
>You fools! You killed his dog! Nothing can stop Murder-man McAntihero now!
>Okay, you bunch of vaguely russian thugs, a guy who's pissed off about his dead dog is going to kill you all while I attempt to make an evil escape.

It's almost as bad as that Naruto villain who decided he was going to make a superweapon and subjugate every country on the planet because his pet dog was killed during a crossfire in the middle of a war.
>>
>>53840057
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard today. Congratulations. Do you also think there's no reason to be a rogue unless they're better fighters than fighters?
>>
>>53842842
It's bait, you retard.
>>
>>53842842
Rogues aren't expected to be useful, they're expected to exist as a scapegoat for why martials can only know like four skills.
>>
>>53842857
I've gamed with people who actually believe that shit.
>>
File: cS45swrlrTJijH1RblBLe8LlW2p.jpg (86KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
cS45swrlrTJijH1RblBLe8LlW2p.jpg
86KB, 1000x563px
>>53842565
Why is it okay to care about your daughter but not about your dog?
>>
>>53831149
>The Veil
Why does that show up so often anyway?
>>
>>53835526
12 hours or less
>>
>>53840057
Why would you include rules for a thing you advise players not to use. To deliberately troll your customers?
>>
>>53840683
Then what are spellcasters?
>>
File: dogwelder.jpg (399KB, 643x680px) Image search: [Google]
dogwelder.jpg
399KB, 643x680px
>>53831260
>doesn't weld dead dogs to people's faces
>>
>>53835605
Of all the shit that didn't happen, that shit didn't happen the most.
>>
>>53832522
can't a character learn fighting without being taught by anyone? being able to bite, scratch, kick, and punch is just instinct.
>>
>>53837551
>But Conan kills powerful spellcasters all the time

He is a book character, thats different, books, cartoons dont need to follow internal logic

As some example at that simpsons episode where marge, bart and lisa became foodies and had a food blog,homer didn't wanted to spend time with them eating fucking food
>>
>>53835362
>If you're not playing D&D for heroic fantasy, what the fuck are you even doing playing D&D?

Because d&d is the only rpg that exist
like mainstream music, that is the only music that exist
>>
>>53835398
I find it bizarre that there's people playing 3.5/Pathfinder that weren't even born when 3rd edition came out. I mean it was the first edition I played back in 2002 back when we didn't know any better. Not sure why people play it when it's so easy to get access to way better RPGs.
>>
>>53836136
...c0re?
>>
>>53835431
Darkblack Moonshadow should be a Lg paladin or NG/LN fighter.
>>
>>53831561
Just kill them off if they do that
>>
>>53831149

How do you feel about "the Vale?"
>>
>>53831404
Cu Chulainn pls go
>>
>>53834921
It's clearly a level capped player coming back to an old raid
>>
>>53829126
>Character developed his fighting style by himself
>It's just hitting his enemies with anything in arms reach
>Invents a new technique with every object he grabs
>Treats it as a deep and thoughtful combat style.
>>
>>53834525
Kehehehe
>>
>>53831260
It's not like a level 1 character can kill anything stronger than a dog anyway.
>>
>>53836245
Born to dust
World is a fuck,
鬼神 Kill Em All
I am trash elf
410,757,864,530 DEAD HUMANS

>>53836196
>Not giving him non-scaling leveling based on when he'd need a slight power boost since pure races aren't made to play with (that's why they have absurd LA)
>>
File: John Wick gun.jpg (74KB, 610x343px) Image search: [Google]
John Wick gun.jpg
74KB, 610x343px
>>53832425
I'd say that John Wick is as influential to the firefight choreography as Equilibrium is - it basicaly redefined the way firefight choreography is done from scratch.
>>
File: ConceptPreston.jpg (610KB, 1322x1680px) Image search: [Google]
ConceptPreston.jpg
610KB, 1322x1680px
>>53851045
Personally I really liked the Equilibrium fights, more so than some of the similar stuff in the Matrix and such. Yeah, I know it's complete bullshit, but that 2-foot range pistol duel was pretty sweet. I was tempted to make a 40k Kill Team of Grammaton Clerics using the Harlequin rules, but then Shadow War imploded and I wouldn't have anyone who would agree to play converted 3rd party models anyway.

I even found a concept piece that looks a little like Preston is holding a plasma pistol, and some Not!Delaque minis I could convert.

Haven't actually seen John Wick yet, I'll add it to the very long list of things I need to watch.
>>
>>53829342
Still isn't as bad as Shadow-Bo-Badow or Scarytown. Now that's a real shithole.
>>
File: Sora.png (777KB, 1000x1461px) Image search: [Google]
Sora.png
777KB, 1000x1461px
>>53829126
I'm honestly fine with people making their own styles as long as they aren't that refined at it.
If you have no teacher and you have a weapon you'll eventually make your own 'style' with it.
Pic related.
>>
>>53842842
I had an idea for a variant where the martial classes (I had monk, barbarian, swashbuckler, duelist, and swordsage as specific examples, with weapon supremacist, grappler, and archer inspiring the rest) becoming Modern-style Talent trees. I thought the concept was cool, but the balance eluded me so I gave up on it.
>>
File: 1488484590700.png (25KB, 175x175px) Image search: [Google]
1488484590700.png
25KB, 175x175px
>>53829342
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKp7x7mOJ_s
>>
>>53832415
See
>>53838469
He IS killing them because they killed the dog, but it's what the dog meant to him.

Also see the sequel. The first and second movies are some of the best action available in the past 10~ years
>>
>>53834748
Dude you made that exact same reply some time ago to a similar post.
Start rethinking your life.
>>
>>53840797
>When I say "basically human" I mean that having magic is primarily what makes them abhuman, as opposed to having magic because they're abhuman.
Yes, that's the point. Their magical powers are how their inhuman natures express themselves, the same way Heracles' expresses itself in immense strength, or Achilles' in invincible skin. Magic isn't something mere humans can do, just like ordinary mere can't wrestle monsters into submission or carry the sky.

Either Heracles is a good example of what a melee character can do and Merlin is a good example of what a caster character can do, or neither is a good example and you should just play with casters who follow what actual mythological casters can do... which is basically nothing but offer advice and make poison.
>>
>>53851109
>Now that's a real shithole.
Depends on where you go.
>>
>>53853049
>Their magical powers are how their inhuman natures express themselves, the same way Heracles' expresses itself in immense strength, or Achilles' in invincible skin.
Brush up on your reading comprehension, because that is the opposite of what I said. Heracles' nature as a demigod expresses itself in immense strength; Achilles explicitly had his mortality burned away. When Baba Yaga uses magic, it isn't a manifestation of her monstrous nature; her monstrous nature is either independent of or a result of her magical ability.
>and Merlin is a good example of
And, as I said before, firstly Merlin is Christianized and secondly mythology is not a good place to look when discussing fantasy. Read the reply chain before you go spouting a bunch of nothing.
>>
>>53834886
how do you get this autistic holy fuck
>>
>>53842212
>black eyes
>white hair
>changing skin tone
>that backstory

wew lad
Thread posts: 273
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.