[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>You've been commissioned to plan the creation of a traditional

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: flkkCE1.jpg (154KB, 800x755px) Image search: [Google]
flkkCE1.jpg
154KB, 800x755px
>You've been commissioned to plan the creation of a traditional game museum
>>
well, the lack of replies certainly indicate something
>>
>>53824045
Who commissioned it? What's my budget? Is there a twist?
>>
It's not a bad subject for an exhibit, really - traditional games have been around for a little over a century now.

But a whole museum? Even if I went out and tracked down every traditional game I could, I doubt many people would be interested in going on the deck of many card games, or the boardwalk of board games.
>>
>>53824045
>traditional game museum

>>53829083

I think if you had an infinite budget and could acquire enough historical artifacts you could do some really interesting stuff, from early egyptian dice to ancient tops of the indus river valley civilization. The development of cards, card games, and of gambling. The societal roles that different games played throughout history - were they games of the aristocracy or the peasantry? what were the differences between games made by the rich vs. those played by the poor. Discuss the persian origins of Chess and the inferiorities of Roman latrunculi.

A section on war gaming and H.G. Wells, how the board games of an era could be socially critical (monopoly) or simply reflect certain aspects of society.

A bit on modern roleplaying games, the moral scandals in America, how they're played and why people play them.

Throughout the museum, there are game rooms with massive versions of simple traditional games, from checkers to connect 4 to battleship. The whole room is one big board and the people who walk through can all take a turn if they want to, in which case they're assigned to one of two teams. Then they can leave or stay and advise the other members of their team on the best move. If they stay and deliberate on the best tactics, it'll be a simple introduction to the idea of the metagame. Otherwise it's just an exercise in the value of playing traditional games.

At the end, the giftshop offers our personally manufactured versions of certain classic games. But here's the real question, /tg/.

What version of D&D do I offer?
>>
>>53829332
none
>>
>>53829332

Truthfully I believe you should offer them all, but the order of gaming importance I'd say is 5th, 4th, 2nd =3rd, than the mess of which is basic/moldvay/adnd.

Not really an indictment on any of the editions, this is just my opinion on the changes they wrought on tabletop gaming as a whole.
>>
>>53829879
order is from least to most
>>
>>53829083
>It's not a bad subject for an exhibit, really - traditional games have been around for a little over a century now.

Traditional games have been around much longer than that. Senet, man, 3100 B.C.

I'm actually getting a masters in Library and Information Science, and have taken a few courses in museum studies, though it's not my focus. I can honestly say that you could easily build up traditional games exhibit, if not an entire, albeit small, museum.

Just as important, I'd say, would be archival. Getting copies of games of all types and preserving them.
>>
>>53829891
>>53829879

I tend to agree. I think 5th and 4th probably need some more time to pass for us to understand if they contribute anything to later versions of D&D.
>>
>>53829879
Tracking the exact formation of the mess that was the original D&D (back when you needed Chainmail and Wilderness Survival) would be a great subject for a museum exhibit.

Early D&D is critical to the modern history of games; it's where the dungeon crawl was invented. And the modern idea of a "dungeon" as a sprawling complex to explore instead of a hole you throw someone in.

After that I'd say 3rd edition was the most historically significant. The entire world copied feats. It's one of those things that seems obvious now that it's part of the background radiation of gaming, but someone had to popularize that.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.