[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Symbaroum

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: Symbar 01.jpg (54KB, 600x731px) Image search: [Google]
Symbar 01.jpg
54KB, 600x731px
The setting reads half-completed and the math is weird but man the art is good, and it has some great ideas.

Anybody else here playing this?
>>
>>53806160
bumo
>>
>>53806160
I've only heard its name mentioned on /tg/.
>>
>>53806160
Never heard of it but I'm interested.
>>
>>53806160
well, the art lacks detail to save on costs but the concepts are nice
>>
File: Symbaroum 06.jpg (123KB, 1280x438px) Image search: [Google]
Symbaroum 06.jpg
123KB, 1280x438px
>>53807011
Not all of the art is sketch art--they have SOME detailed pieces, such as this.
>>
File: Symbaroum 05.jpg (146KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Symbaroum 05.jpg
146KB, 1280x720px
>>53806882
>>53806902

It's a "DIY" character creation system, where you pick abilities/powers, each that has one of three tiers (novice/adept/master). There aren't levels, you just get exp that you spend on more powers or more advanced powers. There aren't skills either; all gameplay revolves around the players rolling under their corresponding stat, usually modified by something else, or rolling damage/damage absorption.

The setting is pretty amazing, but they leave a lot of it vague to encourage people to fill in the blanks, but then they go in and say there's all this detail they'll be releasing in their adventure path. It's...annoying.
>>
File: Symbaroum Elf 02.jpg (220KB, 1158x579px) Image search: [Google]
Symbaroum Elf 02.jpg
220KB, 1158x579px
Setting TL;DR: The old country went to shit because of a bunch of Saurons, so when the world ended the whole country migrates across a mountain range up north. There they find an ancient powerful forest, fuck up its indigenous people, and try to mine it for its countless hidden ruins/artifacts. Really creepy elves, barbarian civilizations, etc try to stop the New Country from doing this, as it unleashes corruption on the world.

Corruption occurs when someone uses magic to do pretty much anything. It's basically the world fighting back, resisting manipulation. Too much corruption and you slowly begin to turn into an Abomination, which is no bueno. The deeper you go into the forest, the darker things get--it's heavily implied the civilization that was there before the forest fell to corruption and shit went wild.
>>
File: 1479325205646.jpg (153KB, 700x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1479325205646.jpg
153KB, 700x1050px
>>53807144
>>53807106
I might get the book just to run it in GURPS instead of natively
>>
>>53807410
How do you think GURPS would handle the setting better than the native system? Or do you just prefer GURPS overall?
>>
>>53807106
Got a link?
>>
>>53807752
I prefer gurps. The Symbaroum system sounds to me like it's already trying to do what gurps does.

I'd really love to see more system agnostic settings fleshed out, or at least made available for play. Half the time in GURPS you're homebrewing out a world or adapting an established one.

I ran Ebberon games in GURPS quite a few times. Having heroic superpowers alongside grotty violence was a great fit. Really let's you dial up the crazy in GURPS in a setting that has psions, demons, magic robots and a half dozen mundane but super races too. Symbaroum sounds like a grim and gritty version of that; let loose the darkness and see what festers in the hearts of men.
>>
>>53807808
It's in the PDF share I'm pretty sure.

>>53807752
I can understand that. I'd get the Advanced Player's guide too, if I were you, because it has a lot more lore in it. The adventures all do too but really the main book gets you where you need to be.
>>
>>53806160
I pirated the PDF, found out it was 200+ pages and deleted it. I dont have time to learn a new system thats more than 100 pages, even if the majority of that isnt core rules. If Im going to GM a game that means at least skimming everything.
>>
>>53808378
That's fair, it is a complete new system. There are a lot of rules in it, and a lot of setting information. I would suggest redownloading it though and just reading the setting, or skimming it--there is some great stuff to be had there.
>>
>>53807752
Corruption system is the only unique feature mechanics-wise, and GURPS corruption as described in Horror is very similar. Pretty much every spell can be modeled with Powers or Sorcery.
What's left is the matter of taste. I like GURPS more even though I wouldn't mind playing by Symbaroum rules at all. And since I don't have long-term group to try new systems, I'd rather search people in community I already know.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.