[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is MtG the most newbie-friendly physical TCG at this moment?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

Is MtG the most newbie-friendly physical TCG at this moment?
>If you are not playing competitive it's actually cheap
>game is easy to learn but hard to master
>choice of products is pretty decent - every new player likes branded stuff and neat boxes
>few different formats
>events everywhere
>>
>>53787676
The answer is yes.

Competitive environments vary: some can be degenerate, while others are welcoming and decent.

Starting at the tabletop, the game is only as complicated as you allow it to be based on your collection.
>>
Yes depending on how you start.

If you start off in an old format you'll need a small investment of a few thousand (legacy) or a few ten thousand (vintage) and even then you won't have fun.

Starting in draft/sealed and playing casual games to learn the mechanics is much more effective than jumping in deep.

EDH is great for timmy newbies and standard is often a decent starting block for people looking to play the game "properly".
>>
The answer is pre-release.
>>
The answer is absolutely not.

The pokemon TCG is the most accessible TCG by far. You will have to learn next to nothing when it comes to mechanics, and the barrier to entry is super low. There is a surprising amount of sequencing involved, so you still get some mental stimulation. The range of pokemon products blows magic out of the water, and the promo foils, tins, and boxes available puts magic to shame. Pokemon also has more (but not by much) playable commons and normal rares.

That said, I highly recommend picking up magic as I think it's the game with more competitive support. Pokemon just has it beat by a mile when it comes to accessibility.
>>
>>53791131
But Pokemon TCG is utter ass in balance levels and introduces hearthstone levels of rng without it being as fun. Might as well say eating shit is easy getting into.
>>
>>53791131
>>53791357
These are both good points; PTCG is easier to get into but MtG keeps you around for longer (most likely forever)
>>
>>53791131
I'm playing both and in my country playing casual standard is cheaper for Mtg than PTCG desu.
>the barrier to entry is super low
Pokemon products are expensive compared to MtG. For Planeswalker deck I have to pay 40 bananas and I receive shitty deck and two boosters. For Pokemon theme deck I have to pay 50 bananas and I'm ending up with a shitty deck only
>Pokemon also has more (but not by much) playable commons and normal rares.
Maybe but try to play by using only commons. MtG at least has pauper

But as I said - I'm living in a third world country Poland so it's probably a matter of place
>>
Netrunner is better. The frequency of events, the amount of formats and variety of noob-focused products are all smaller, though .
>>
>>53796593

If we are judging a card game by the value of its starter decks, cardfight vanguard has every game beat because it's the only game on the market where the starter decks resemble "real" decks. I wouldn't consider vanguard accessible compared to pokemon because vanguard is so under-printed that they can't keep the prices for singles down.

I had $20 and bought codes for pokemon online. The next day, I've traded into a standard deck and I'm profiting off sanctioned tourneys online. The secondary market of the paper game is affordable too. In magic, you're lucky to have a real deck in standard cost less than $100.

The only thing that's shitty about pokemon is that it tends to have a few super-staples like shaymin and lele that end up with inflated prices.
>>
>>53791357
>But Pokemon TCG is utter ass in balance levels
Much less so than Standard

>and introduces hearthstone levels of rng without it being as fun
Horseshit
>>
File: MrBachelor.png (417KB, 349x509px) Image search: [Google]
MrBachelor.png
417KB, 349x509px
>>53796659
I dug Vanguard as a quick and easy game to get into, shame no one plays it.
>>
>>53791357
I gave the pokemon tcg standard format a go last week and I've already played about 200 games. I distinctly remember only two of the games being decided by coin flips. Most of the RNG cards are targeted at kids and not at cards that are strong in organized play.

There are multiple sorts of deck archetypes in pokemon, so one type of strategy isn't causing problems, let alone a single deck.
>>
Sure it's easy to get into but by dumbing it down to snare more people, they've lost what made it good.
>>
>>53796884
Examples?
>>
>>53787676
Pokemon is better at every level and would have mopped the floor with MtG if it wasn't tied to an IP for kids.
>>
>>53796693
Didn't the company that makes Vanguard shit out yet another game that's almost identical?
>>
>>53797737
>better at every level
Pokemon is intentionally limited compared to Magic.
>>
>>53797857
Buddyfight I think? Yeah, the same friend that got me into Vanguard tried to get me into that, but once burned and all that.
>>
>>53796693
I remember watching that show, but the game seemed to have way too much luck involved. Triggers are a problem.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.