[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why have Tolkien, or at least Tolkien-inspired conceptions of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: hmm.jpg (17KB, 408x286px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
17KB, 408x286px
Why have Tolkien, or at least Tolkien-inspired conceptions of certain fantastical races like Elves and Orcs become mainstream, but not other Tolkien conceptions of things like Vampires and Werewolves, which are present in the legendarium but bear no resemblance to he popular conception of either?
>>
>>53787649
Because only the good Tolkien's books went mainstream. Nobody give two tugs of dead dog's rotten cock about legendarium or silmarililililion.
>>
>>53787701
>Because only the worst of Tolkien's books went mainstream. Most people are too plebian to know about the legendariun and the Silmarillion.
FTFY
>>
Because those books were released 20 years later.
Silmarillion is like a bunch of synopses of a bunch of stories.
It outs off a bunch of people.
The story about vampires and werewolves is being released, in its completion, next year. Bit hard for it to go back in time and set the archetype.
>>
>>53787649
I can come up with a couple reasons.

First, as >>53787701 said, Silmarillion never went mainstream, likely due to being far more difficult to read than the other Tolkien books. It also came out much later than his main legendarium, well after the public had moved on from the whole matter.

Second, vampires and werewolves were already well established in the popular culture long before Tolkien, having had far greater presence and impact in fantasy novels such as Dracula, so that their minor appearances in Silmarillion could do very little to change anyone's perceptions since we'd already made our minds.
>>
TL:DR
Tolkien was "first" with elves dwarves, orcs and shit.
Werewolves and vampires were well established long before Tolkien.
>>
>>53787791
this

BUT, back to OP's question... honestly, tolkien elves and tolkien orcs really aren't the popular conception anymore. People who think they are probably have no idea what tolkien elves and orcs actually are.

Honestly, I think Warcraft is the main contributor to popular perceptions of elves and orcs.
>>
>>53787900
Well, that's why I said Tolkien-inspired. Yeah, big green muscular proud savage barbarians aren't really Tolkien orcs, but you can trace a chain of influence that leads back to LoTR.
>>
>>53787923
>big green muscular proud savage barbarians aren't really Tolkien orcs
True but
>big green muscular proud savage barbarians are really Tolkien-esque
They're just called trolls, or half trolls, Olog-hai, possibly even big/great goblin.
>>
>>53787649
I don't know.

You know what I'd really rather find out? Why are you posting the same copypasta thread every week.
>>
>>53787923
But LoTR didn't invent orcs and elves and dwarves, so you can trace a chain of influence even further back to norse and european myth- there's no reason to 'stop' and declare Tolkien the progenitor.

So the real answer as to why this style of elf/dwarf shit is popular is due to the efforts of Snorri Sturlusson to keep the ancient myths alive in an increasingly christianized scandinavian world.

Orcs deriving instead from goblins of european myth, not really having a norse counterpart.
>>
File: 1312425241381.png (10KB, 408x286px) Image search: [Google]
1312425241381.png
10KB, 408x286px
>>53787649
Stop posting. You've been making garbage threads with this image for three years now. At least have the decency to post it in original .png quality instead of a .jpg you saved off some fucking third-party site if you're going to post it over and over again for three fucking years.
>>
soo... what were they like then? Vamps And W. Wolves have always seemed campy too me, so I can't really imagine what they'd be like in Tolkien and fit in
>>
>>53790093
Not a lot is known about vampires. It's thought they went extinct along with Morgoth, and there's only one named one who was a minor messenger-type character. They're still shadowy and batty and somewhat persony but they're more like a blood-drinking demons or monster than an infected/cursed undead human or anything.

Werewolves are actually somewhat unique- they're just wolves or wargs, no transforming, but intelligent and able to talk. It could be that they are orc souls with wolf bodies. They survived into the third age, probably.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.