[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 42

File: readthecore.jpg (156KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
readthecore.jpg
156KB, 600x375px
"Read the rulebooks, anon." edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

>Where did the Mandragora Apocrypha go?
The namefag working on it has fucked off to finish it in peace after our autists yelled at him over the unfinished version they found.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

Old thread: >>53699287

The dh2 errata doesn't handle righteous fury for multiple dices and automatic and semi fire. How does that work?
>>
>>53779289
For example you roll two 10's in frag grenade roll - two righteous furies?

Another example - you fire with autogun on automatic fire. You get three hits, and three 10's. Three righteous furies?
>>
File: All of them.png (116KB, 476x156px) Image search: [Google]
All of them.png
116KB, 476x156px
>>53779289
>>53779305
>>
>>53779365
Thank you anon, may God Emperor bless you.
>>
What's the best take all comers weapon loadout for a macrocarid explorator? We're expected to be scouts more or less and be out of supply contact for a while.
>>
>>53780745
Which book is it in?
>>
>>53780784

mars needs women
>>
I'm searching for tables that can help me design a campaign or missions (random generate names, places, thrreats ecc) so that i can work on the details (i don't have a lot of time lately)
>>
>>53781141
There was a generator for rogue trader, an .exe file but i dont remember where it is
>>
>>53780745
Graviton to deal with vehicles and irad engines to deal with infantry. Downside: you have to get close.
>>
My GM is allowing me to have a custom armour upgrade, I recently got a power armour, since I am New can anyone suggest something interesting for a tech priest
>>
>>53783234
I won't express my opinion about power armours in dark heresy early game, but you can tell it's negative. Power armour upgrade. Get a force field.
>>
>>53781141
>>53781360
Found it

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/82650-rogue-trader-generator-tools-released/
>>
>>53783325
I meant this is my first DH game, been playing for months now, I am just weak with lore and tech
>>
>>53783626
Still acolytes receiving power armor just because is meh
>>
>>53783896

To YOUR feelings. But maybe his GM's feelings are different. Your feelings are not feelier than his feelings. It's a valid way to play the game.
>>
>>53783971
Jerking off to acolytes early game in power armor makes my stomach turn in the same way the neckbeards imply SoBs arent brides to emperor and only, and that eldar-human offspring is possible.
>>
>>53784032
Since I am new to the game I don't know are the standard so to say, but current my party are all rank 6 and I only got my armour when my gm and I fluff a reward for slaying a demon manifesting in some hub in a forge world

And maybe I should clarify I asking asking creative ideas for armour upgrade for a tech priest that is using a power armour
>>
>>53784032
That depends. While I am in agreement that DH characters really shouldn't have power armor (unless they're an inquisitor/Magos or something), guy did say they've been playing for months now. If his game is once a week, that could be a pretty experienced character, even if the player himself apparently is "weak with lore and tech"

>>53783626
There's a very simple solution to that. Educate yourself
>>
>>53784032
Anon, the guy just said he'd been playing for months, take your badwrongfun shit >>/out/.
>>53784471
The improved power pack from Black Crusade.
The primary problem with power armor is you still have to deal with the 1d5 hours battery time.
As for bitz, improved autosenses in the helmet, maglocks for your gear, ceramite coating to cut back on flame and melta.
>>
>>53784471
Anon from here, I didn't know you were playing high powered late game. Sorry for that, I cringed at the idea of early game power armor but who cares now.
>>53784032
>>
>>53784471
Obvious force field. Fuck any upgrades to power armor, the power armor will be your 2nd tier defence. 1st tier defence will be force field soaking ballistic attacks.
>>
>>53784698
Assuming that he can get a force field, anon.
Shit, I've been playing 40k rpgs for years and can count on one hand how many times I've gotten a force field that wasn't taken from my enemies dead hands.
>>
>>53784763
They have fucking power armours anon.
>>
>>53784562
Thankfully my GM gave me a nefted dragon scale so I charge my own armour unless I read the rules wrong. The other ideas good to
>>53784676
No worries I understand your issues with early buffs
>>53784528
Really should but asking /tg/ is so much simpler and give me a better idea. I mean I originally idea was to make a null field just to not get killed by my 3 pysker players

>>53784698
>>53783325

Force field seem to be good choice, maybe I can refluff it like a quasi Luminen barrier
>>
>>53784917
Presumably you're playing 1e, based on your earlier comment of Rank 6. Might I suggest downloading all of the 1e stuff from the Mega, and paying especially close attention to the stuff in the Lathe Worlds book? It'll definitely help you lore-wise. Just let your GM know what you're doing ahead of time so he can tell you what (if anything) to avoid reading, for fear of spoilers/metagaming.
>>
>>53785123
I plan to do so, and I have read most of the books but when the GM ask to give a custom upgrade that is not in the book the I struggle to include some fluff and balance
>>
>>53785168
>>53785123
But then again I maybe need to better reread of the lathe world books
>>
File: Nastase.jpg (85KB, 338x799px) Image search: [Google]
Nastase.jpg
85KB, 338x799px
>>53784032
>and that eldar-human offspring is possible.
>>
>>53784917
Tech Priests are terminators in dh1e anyway, lathe worlds stuff is your way to go
>>
>>53785304
>Aschually
>Literally one in the galaxy snowflake

Fuck off
>>
>>53785679
Don't forget its also practically not canon any longer.
>>
>>53785717
The gachimuchi wrestling space marines stuff in 40k is on the same level as this
>>
File: Shifting_Goalpost.gif (134KB, 410x309px) Image search: [Google]
Shifting_Goalpost.gif
134KB, 410x309px
>>53785679
>>53785717
>>53785739
>>
File: 1449225055722.jpg (31KB, 283x248px) Image search: [Google]
1449225055722.jpg
31KB, 283x248px
>>53785739
>gachimuchi wrestling space marines
The what?

>>53785868
>I just got refuted so I'll accuse them of shifting the goalposts instead of giving a counter-argument!
>>
File: Billy Herrington Red.jpg (38KB, 473x357px) Image search: [Google]
Billy Herrington Red.jpg
38KB, 473x357px
>>53785739
>gachimuchi wrestling space marines is not canon
>>
>>53786113
Kek
>>
>>53785951
>No that canon example of the thing I'm saying never existed in the lore doesn't count because reasons!

>refuted

pick one
>>
>>53786274
You probably jerk it to the idea of eldar offspring, it's raunchy here when you post, also stick the pick one meme up your ass :^)
>>
>>53786312
Oh no, Half breeds in 40k are a dumb idea as a whole, but they're one GW had and put into their books first.
>>
>>53786549
It's pathfinder tier of snowflake trying to insert it now. I was dm'ing a dh2 game and posted the thingy in game finder thread and actually there were people asking to play half breeds, eldar or orks. In dark heresy 2, acolytes game. I still have flashbacks
>>
>>53786274
Not the anon saying it never existed, just that it's not canon any longer.
>>
>>53786766
Yeah. I mean, even if you use the "canon in 40k is a fallacy" line, so much in RT changed in the transition to 2e that it's practically not the same setting. Like I'll accept an opinion as valid if they can cite me a source from all the way back to The Lost and the Damned, but if you go before even that, you're not even really talking 40k anymore. At least not 40k as most people would think of it.
>>
>>53784032
>neckbeards imply SoBs arent brides to emperor
t. Goge Vandire
>>
>>53784858
Yes, and?
You think that one thing equals another?
>>
>>53786870
You swallowed "and only". The fuckers implying that saint, righteous fury dealing SoBs are bordello in spess make me puke a little bit
>>
>>53786909
I am saying that if they have power armours, then they should have no problem with acquiring force field. THINK anon, THINK
>>
>>53783517
Thank you anon, may the emperor protect your mind against the foul daemons
>>
File: dis nigga.jpg (56KB, 679x569px) Image search: [Google]
dis nigga.jpg
56KB, 679x569px
>>53785304
>the ultramarines have a half-faggot Chief Librarian and he's the head Astropath for all of fucking Macragge as well

didn't all of RT get retconned when Necromunda came out?
>>
>>53787014
According to what metric?
The book "says" so? Considering he is playing dh1e, he may not have the money or time that it takes to locate and purchase one, or the arms to twist to get one.
Sorry, shitlord, you have nothing to stand on.
>>
>>53787760
I'm guessing according to the fa/tg/uy metric where they recommend you get a shield before you work on power armour
>>
>>53787760
It's obvious they are playing with ascension rules you for-no-reason insulting faglord.
>>
>>53787659
That or Realms of Chaos. Either way RT looks nothing like any version of 40k that came thereafter.
>>
>>53787861
>you for-no-reason insulting
You might want to work on that one.
>>
>>53787899
fuck off dickhead
>>
>>53787659
>>53787880
Realms of Chaos. Necromunda was 1995, Slaves to Darkness, which really made 40k what it is today, was '89. Though BL's changes to the setting (even before Guilliman's return) are probably almost on the same level of restructuring, just a lot slower.

>>53787945
Better. It had a lot more punch to it. Flowed better, you know?
>>
>>53787880
>>53787973
that's what it was, mb

I always remember everyone in my middle school being into necromunda in like '96-'97 and that really launching the whole 40k thing
>>
>>53788857

Hope he is reading this. 1d4chan is cancer
>>
>>53785739

Yo buddy, I think you got the wrong board. >>>/trv/ 's two boards down.
>>
File: Van Darkholme FUCK YOU.png (111KB, 260x354px) Image search: [Google]
Van Darkholme FUCK YOU.png
111KB, 260x354px
>>53789634
>>
Why are shields in DH 2e so ass? A shield boasts only +5 WS over any Balanced weapon to Parrying, and can't even work with Counter-Attack because you have to attack with the weapon you parried with
>>
>>53790107
put a shock field, a pistol built into the handhold or a force field in them

counter attack with the shock field or pistol or just enjoy having a force field
>>
Planning to run my first Dark Heresy game, and I have a question about the Inquisitor the players work for. The Inquisitor is a member of a single Ordo, but does that mean that his Acolytes can only research instances relating to said Ordo? Can an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor send his Acolytes to root out a possible Chaos cult?
>>
File: necromunda end game.jpg (134KB, 800x484px) Image search: [Google]
necromunda end game.jpg
134KB, 800x484px
>>53790399
An Ordo is a specialty, not a straight jacket. Eisenhorn is an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor, but he spent large amounts of time fighting a chaos cult/summoning Daemonhosts.

You absolutely can send them to root out a Chaos cult, the Inquisitor would just be more interested/more adept at fighting xeno cults. He'd be likely to compare notes with any friends he had in the Ordo Malleus or Hereticus, but there's no reason not to take out a cult if he thinks there's one around.

Also, the Ordos have special relationships with their particular chamber militant, so it's easier for an Ordo Xenos inquisitor to call on the Deathwatch for aid than the Grey Knights or the Sisters of Battle, but that doesn't mean he couldn't ask them for help either.
>>
>>53790399
Absolutely. Look at the Eisenhorn books for example. He starts out in the Ordo Xenos, but it seems like most of the threats he faces after book 1 are Hereticus/Malleus. An Inquisitor's job is to root out corruption no matter what the source
>>
>>53790534
>>53790538
Thanks for clearing that up, that's what I thought when I was first reading the book, but then I confused myself when reading about the Ordos.

Unrelated, but does anyone have advice on how to get AdMech or religious players in character. I had an Explorator in my last Rogue Trader game, but he basically ignored all tech that wasn't immediately being used to kill, and if someone goes AdMech in DH, I'd rather not have that happen again.
>>
How do you build a Dark eldar?
Wych, preferably, but I've never poked at them much.
>>
>>53790920
put them in charge of running the plasma engine, maintaining all the weapons and armor, etc, at least on a daily basis

their basic job is to recover forgotten or lost technology from ancient worlds. so part of all of that falls to the GM to at least send them loking, doesn't necessarily mean they'll find anything

anytime you say "space hulk" they should basically be insisting you guys raid the thing, which by in large may turn out to be an absolutely horrible idea, but archaeotech is archaeotech

they're supposed to be "rational beyond reproach" but in 40k that basically just means as suicidal as any other zealot

might make more sense if you play like it's the year 680,000

>>53791250
for a wych

tons of agility, dodge, tumble, leap, combat drugs, several attacks a round in melee, poisoned weapons that will kill you horribly from even a scratch, very light if any armour, probably a personal holo field, and chucking hallucinogen grenades left and right, maybe some throwing stars that also kill from a scratch or a pistol that likewise, kills from a scratch

if they start losing a fight they might literally run straight at a wall and *schlork* back into the webway just to come at you again later.

make sure to pack antidotes and maybe a hospitaller, if not a full on medical bay, poison may take days to kill and it's torturous as fuck
>>
>>53791421
I meant as a PC. I'm looking at Soul Reaver/Dark Kin and trying to remember how xenos worked years ago when I ran this game. Do xenos get to take character creation path, too?
>>
>>53791505
if they're a PC yeah but only if it makes sense

give them swashbuckler or something
>>
>>53791505
Eh, Rogue Trader, to specify.
>>
>>53791421
Thanks for the advice, but that seems geared towards RT, I was talking about if a player picked an AdMech background in DH. We used to play RT, but the campaign ended and now I'm going to run a DH game.
>>
>>53791669
Just read the books
>>
>>53791669
let him hack?
>>
>>53791669
Should be the one to investigate mysterious devices, maintain equipment, sanctify modified weapons, deal with high tech security systems, etc.
>>
File: fuck me.png (498KB, 1040x1360px) Image search: [Google]
fuck me.png
498KB, 1040x1360px
Yeah, I'm definitely not recruiting for my next game until this is done.
>>
File: cato.jpg (34KB, 274x246px) Image search: [Google]
cato.jpg
34KB, 274x246px
>>
File: tech preist and servo skull.jpg (245KB, 669x840px) Image search: [Google]
tech preist and servo skull.jpg
245KB, 669x840px
>>53791669
>>53790920

>Admech
Remind him that he's an animist. Every piece of technology he encounters has a spirit, and that spirit interacts with the world just as much as he does. While he may understand the cause and effect of a lot of what happens to his machinery, he also understands it as something which exists within a non-material world as well. So when his autogun jams, its Machine Spirit must be angry with him for not servicing it frequently enough, while when his data slate continues to function despite being submerged in the greasy sewage he just waded through, he knows it is because of the slate's fondness for him.
Consider describing certain objects differently to him. A damaged cogitator's spirit might moan softly in pain as he turns it on, its binaric chittering a subtle call for the right of extreme plasma welding. A suit of power armor might emit a predatory hiss from its exhaust vents, while an ancient mining drill might whine like an errant child when its turned on. All that's happening is putting the lens of the techpriests over ordinary mechanical function, but it can help to understand that devout priests just see the world a bit differently than we do.
Also, remember that 40k technology can be pretty goddamn magical. The heretical Logicians' motto is "Once, We Were Gods." They weren't far from wrong.

>Ecclesiarchy
Religion is deeply entwined with civilization. Your education was likely strongly informed by the Imperial Cult, with tales of the Saints and Martyrs a huge part of your life. Even the most roguish sort still sees the Emperor as a God,and only the very foolish question the Ecclesiarchy's role as his material representatives.
The cult has obvious, awesome, physical power. Every major edifice praises the Emperor, and public displays of extreme devotion are common. Finally, priests and clergy often serve as the bedrock of communities, providing guidance to the uncertain, succor to the weak, and leadership in times of trouble.
>>
>>53791704
>>53791905
>>53792199
>>53792920
Thanks again for the advice, hopefully it'll help get them to see the game differently, and not have their characters affiliation as just window dressing.
>>
>>53793129
If you're running 1e, have them take a look at the Alt. Career Ranks. I normally limit my players to 1, 2 max, but they're a great way to add individuality to a given character.
>>
File: 1481231905948.jpg (31KB, 326x236px) Image search: [Google]
1481231905948.jpg
31KB, 326x236px
>>53793129

This anon is right: >>53793254
The Inquisitor's handbook is a godsend for spicing up characters. My rule is you get one special thing to start (alternate homeworld, background package, or alternate starting rank), but you can work towards whatever alternate ranks you want.
Word of warning, a lot of alternate ranks/background packages are a little OP. The Metallican Gunslinger is a complete badass, for example.
>>
File: 1474021776711.png (179KB, 463x492px) Image search: [Google]
1474021776711.png
179KB, 463x492px
>starting xp for an acolyte is 1000
>recommended threat level for 1000 xp is 6x number of PCs in warband
>a deathwatch marine has a threat of 30
>a group of 5 acolytes with starting stats and equipment is expected to be able to kill a deathwatch space marine
I dont even know what to make of 2e's threat system
>>
>>53794670
It is possible assuming they get initiative on the space marine. Sniper rifles and manstopper rounds are both Scarce and Accurate can make up for the rest of the damage.
>>
>>53794670
Just run 1st ed dark heresy.

The threat levels there are meant to represent how dangerous they are to the Imperium and it's citizens, not the acolytes per se.

This means that you would focus less on what adversaries are balanced for the acolytes' party level, and more on what makes sense to be in the area the acolytes are about to kick open the door of; Let them figure out what to do after that.
>>
>>53794670
don't cross mortals and humans

also don't cross "mortal" daemon princes with 29,00 wounds and AV 19 with humans
>>
>>53796038
>>
>>53779289
About to start a Dark Heresy campaign with some friends, could anyone recommend a place to find Character pictures to use, be nice to add a bit of flavor to our character sheets.
>>
Why is Gellar field called that? Who's Gellar?
>>
>>53796989
GW 80's meme, based on Uri Gellar ,a "psychic" noted for spoon bending.
>>
>>53791576
Pretty sure they don't, makes up for their starting skills and talents
>>
What is the opposite of a null?? Someone that seem to be part of the warp
>>
>>53798093
.....a psyker?
>>
>>53798093
...a daemon?
>>
>>53794670
It's actually easier than you think.
A longlas is gonna put the hurt on a space marine, and what you are ignoring is that marine has no real way to lock down multiple enemies at once. Sure, he can chainsword rip/tear a single acolyte, but now he has the other 4 to deal with.
A single RF can change the entire battle if they can successfully stun or cripple an arm or leg.
>>
>>53798093
the psi rating scale goes from omega minus for extremely powerful blanks to alpha plus for extremely powerful psykers
>>
>>53790107
I didn't know this. I think my friend is going to be sad his character concept doesn't quite work. He'll probably petition the GM to change the ruling.
>>
>>53792846
ey bby wanna post that armory?
>>
>>53796124
Look through the books, and take a look at the character art threads too. You never know what you'll see on there

>>53798950
Pretty sure it's in the previous thread linked in the OP
>>
File: 300px-Iconoclast_escort.png (86KB, 300x178px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Iconoclast_escort.png
86KB, 300x178px
SO I'm going to be running a BC game and I'm thinking for their very first compact they will be working towards getting a derelict ship (probably an Iconoclast-class but possibly a Repulsive-class) fully operational and under their control. Right now I have as far as secondary objectives for the compact (which they can resolve in any order):

> Get a Crew (or at least the bare minimum to operate the ship)
> Get a "Navigator" (can be either a corrupted navigator, chaos sorcerer, or daemon, their choice)
> Secure the ship (bare minimum, search and secure the bridge and engineering sections of anything hostile that might be living on the derelict, they are free to seal the rest of the ship off to deal with at a later date)
> Make arrangements with one of the "industrial" worlds of the Screaming Vortex (be it Q'sal, Guelph, The Hollows, or other such world with a strong"-ish" manufacturing base) to have them repair the ship and bring it to full operation.

Anything else you can think of as far as additional secondary objectives that I can add? Or does that just about cover it?

Also what would be a good complication to throw into this endeavor?
>>
File: Sis_NotSureIfH.jpg (60KB, 600x720px) Image search: [Google]
Sis_NotSureIfH.jpg
60KB, 600x720px
Alright folks, luker but rare poster. I'm about to run my first round of 40k rpg, and I have a possibly-stupid question, but...

What, for Thrones Sake, is the actual difference between the Adeptas Sororitas career from Inquisitor's Handbook and the Battle-Sister career from Blood of Martyrs in 1E DH? Why are there two different classes for this?
>>
>>53800835
Perhaps they must make a pact with, or purge entirely, the twisted mutants that have been living in the hull and repairing the engines for centuries untold?
>>
>>53800928
Not all members of the adeptas sororitas are necessarily sisters of battle, like repentia and such. and then some are just nuns without the boltguns and power armor
>>
File: slavegangloading.jpg (132KB, 889x407px) Image search: [Google]
slavegangloading.jpg
132KB, 889x407px
>>53800835

Had similar thing going on, and fucked up in "Make arrangements with one of the "industrial" worlds...".

Almost all my sessions in BC on more populated worlds ended in bloodbaths.

I know there is a lot of fluff how to theoretically run a chaos worlds but practically its so back-stabby, corrupted and full of assholes the only way it ends is either a "fuck it we find another way all sneaky like" or "we gonna kill them all and show they shouldn't fuck with us."

My players dumb like they are choose latter every time. How after so many times they didn't notice that attacking fully garrisoned chaos hive cities packed with crazy motherfuckers as just a small warband isn't a good idea? I don't know. You tell me!

Any tips?

Also any maps of a WH ships? Didn't really find nice ones ever.
>>
Have a few questions here :
Is the soul and the reflection in the warp the same thing?

>>53798093
anything that is not a necron, a machine or an other blanks are connected to the warp. So basically anything. But if i must choose i'd say a psyker.
>>
>>53801289
>Also any maps of a WH ships?
What kind of sperg has time to make a map of a ship whose dimensions change with every other writer?
>>
>>53801396

Fuck.

You right, fuck you /tg/. Fuck you.
>>
>>53800966
that would make more sense if they were trying to salvage an imperial derelict...

... Come to think of it...
>>
>>53801289
>I know there is a lot of fluff how to theoretically run a chaos worlds but practically its so back-stabby, corrupted and full of assholes the only way it ends is either a "fuck it we find another way all sneaky like" or "we gonna kill them all and show they shouldn't fuck with us."
After a while, wouldn't the PC's have such a reputation for muderhoboing everything that they could potentially just roll into a chaos world and say "do this thing for us and we won't wreck everything" and the denizens of said world will be happy to comply just to get rid of them?

Maybe not if their "we gonna kill them all and show they shouldn't fuck with us." plan typically ends with the heretics bravely running for their lives.
>>
File: knight_buckethelm.jpg (81KB, 736x994px) Image search: [Google]
knight_buckethelm.jpg
81KB, 736x994px
>>53779289
I want to play a crusader from a primitive world in Dark Heresy 2e - fairly new to the system, is there a supplemental book that has an appropriate class?
>>
>>53802195
Well, there just isn't too many supplements for DH2E, so you can just grab three Enemies book and pick what you like.
>>
>>53798950

any attempt to stat the time and legend of the horus heresy should be disregarded as a fool's errand and disrespectful to the setting. Do the right thing, /tg/. Sage and hide.
>>
>>53802195
You're in luck, Enemies Beyond literally has Crusader as a class.
>>
File: 1494198111636.gif (2MB, 500x390px) Image search: [Google]
1494198111636.gif
2MB, 500x390px
>>53802234
>>53802322
Fantastic! Much appreciated.
>>
>>53802369
enemies within has Feudal World as origin as well.
>>
File: 1489391624281.jpg (68KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1489391624281.jpg
68KB, 720x540px
Ah fuck, the guy I was talking to had the edition wrong, GM says we're actually playing 1st edition. Any Crusader options in this one?
>>
>>53802610
it's much harder then.first edition has less fluids archeotypes, you may have been a crusader on a feudal world but then you have to explain what you are now.

clerics, assassin and guardsman are all poor choices
>>
>>53802610
>not until ascension level.
Go feudal world, (guardsman, assassin, or cleric) and keep taking melee options on your career path.
>>
File: SPACE SHARKS FUCK YEAH.jpg (127KB, 500x304px) Image search: [Google]
SPACE SHARKS FUCK YEAH.jpg
127KB, 500x304px
>>53802971
>>53803065
Ah, damn. I have a feeling he'll probably be long dead before we reach then but thank you guys for the help regardless!

Have a space shark riding a space shark as thanks.
>>
>>53800835
Need to work to acquire a large chunk of warp iron to refurbish and fuel the drives
>>
>>53801299
I'd argue the reflection in the warp is the warp proving you have a soul

and without it they're circumspect to prove you actually have one
>>
>>53802260

kys fag
>>
What's the latest on the Tyranids' origins? Do we know what the fuck the Hivemind even is yet, or where the nids are coming from? Has the bit about the tyranids fleeing from something been retconned or was it even real in the first place?
>>
>>53801299
>Is the soul and the reflection in the warp the same thing?
Yes. And machines do have reflections in the warp, that's why they're corruptible, as opposed to blanks and necrons.
>>
>>53804641
nobody knows what lies outside the galaxy, the only known thing is that the other galaxies are full of orks as well.

tyranid origin is unknown and some fear that they are running from a greater threat. That idea is based on the fact that there is no know race except orks that managed to travel to the empty expanse that separate galaxies, therefore one could believe that if tyranid did that it's because they are under an existential threat
>>
>>53804729
where/when did they finally confirm Orks are extra-galactic?
>>
>>53804809
lexicanum once had a page saying that around m32 the mechanicum sent a probe across the universe but they mostly received ork messages.

i can't find it and it's probably not cannon anymore
>>
File: Pharos Tyranid Origins.png (306KB, 501x604px) Image search: [Google]
Pharos Tyranid Origins.png
306KB, 501x604px
>>53804729
>tyranid origin is unknown and some fear that they are running from a greater threat. That idea is based on the fact that there is no know race except orks that managed to travel to the empty expanse that separate galaxies, therefore one could believe that if tyranid did that it's because they are under an existential threat

They were literally waiting in the void, Reaper style, for food to evolve. When the Ultras and the Night Lords blew up the Pharos Lighthouse, it caused a beacon the nids picked up and zoomed in on. That is why they bumrushed the Sotha area in their first go.
>>
File: Ork Domains.jpg (1MB, 1181x1653px) Image search: [Google]
Ork Domains.jpg
1MB, 1181x1653px
>>53804961

Closer to M26, actually.
>>
>>53806942
orks Orks Orks ORKS

orks Orks Orks ORKS
>>
>>53807159
> not green texting
> do you even WAAAAGH?
>>
>>53797978
I guess that makes sense, but that means they have worse stats than humans. Humans tend to get net +5-+12 from the various starting options.
>>
>>53790107
>>53798817
It does also add 2 armor to the body and shield arm.
>>
>>53800835
Isn't an Iconoclast a tiny little 'fairly heavy' destroyer and a Repulisve a BC or a BB?
>>
>>53809455
believe the Repulsive is Grand Cruiser

so yeah, opposite ends of the spectrum
>>
Have you ever homebrewed rules for another chaos god in Black Crusade, such as Hashut or Malice?
>>
>>53800928
>>53801078
I have a secondary question. My player really wants to take the Oblita alternate class thingy when his Sister levels up that far for intense backstory reasons. It is listeed as a Sororitas option, but she is supposed to be the gunniest-of-nuns

Would it be bad of me to let him take Oblita later if the sister uses Battle-Sister instead of Sororitas?
>>
hi /40krpg/,
I'm joining a group for DH 2e and I was thinking of running a death cult assassin from a shrine world. my idea is to dress in clerical robes and act as a pilgrim while not doing wetwork, since he's deeply devout.

I'm well-versed 40k fluff but I never played Dark Heresy before, so I need some advice on how to build the character.
I'm mainly interested in playing him as a close quarter specialist rather than a marksman, so blades, pistols, needlers, and backstabbing should be his thing, but subterfuge is also welcome, in case he needs to interact with NPCs without making an absolute fool of himself.

halp?
>>
>>53811133
Have you tried reading character creation in core with some of the expansions to character creation in the 3 enemies X books?
>>
>>53811524
I only read the core rules. I'm not a 100% on them though, so insight from someone experienced would be welcome.
>>
>>53811608
The other three splat books widen your options a bit.

Try look at Shrine, Ministorum/Outcast, Assassin/Desperado.
>>
>>53810186
As the GM, it's ultimately your call. Read over the two character trees, and decide for yourself. I personally would probably have no objection, but I'm not overly familiar with the differences between the two career progressions.

>>53809520
Homebrewed rules? No. Used a cult dedicated to Malal as an antagonist? Yep. Reskinned House of Dust and Ash for a BC campaign, and replaced the Mourners' previous affiliation/goals with those of a Malal cult. Players have run into them a couple more times since.
>>
>>53811133
Well, you picked Shrine World (alternate homeworld variants Thaur and Ossuar might have a better bonus for your role), and want a sneaky melee character so that kind of locks you into Assassin. You need a background that either gives you Social as an aptitude or stacks with one of your given aptitudes so you can choose Fellowship instead. I guess I'd just go Ministorum for the easy route, giving him Social as an aptitude, a bonus that goes with Shrine World well, and priestly gear all in one. However, Administratum, Sororitas, Guard, Rogue Trader, and even Mutant could get you where you want to be aptitude-wise (Heretek too, but that doesn't sound even close to what you want). While some of those don't scream 'priestly,' slap robes on a guy with social skills and he can do just fine.
>>
In rogue trader, what's the combination of talents necessary to wield a pistol in one hand and a sword in the other (and ideally, attack with both?) Ambidextrous, two flavors of Dual Wielder, and...? Gunslinger allows two pistols.

It's possible to fire a pistol in melee, right? Bonuses for point-blank range?

Is it practical to have a sword in one hand for parrying only, and a separate weapon in the other hand for attacking with, if you're ambidextrous but too low level to dual wield effectively?
>>
>>53812920
You can fire a pistol in close combat. My arch-militant relied heavily on bolt pistols firing organ grinders to make it past melee dudes.
>>
>>53812920
Yes to the first few questions but for the practicality part, I suggest the concealed weapon armor upgrade (in hostile acquisition). It allows you to mount a weapon into your armor, but more importantly one of the listed examples is retractable blades, so you just have a parrying power sword that retracts and is mounted to your hand so you don't need to drop a gun to use it.
>>
>>53813102

Why not get forearm mounts for pistols?
>>
>>53813121
Why not both? Hell, give your dude concealed Power Feet and Power Fists. Turn a grapple check extra vicious, Power kick a Chaos Dreadnought in the balls, Power Fist a Dark Eldar, etc. A good time could be had by all.
>>
>>53813364
In DH2e you can get forearm mounted pistols and a Desoleum power blade, which seems like an Assassin's Creed style wrist-mounted spring-blade by the description. Look, ma, no hands.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1497499131534.jpg (27KB, 720x509px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1497499131534.jpg
27KB, 720x509px
>>53813427
>a Desoleum power blade

Two, even.
>>
>>53813436
Get lightning claws. Fuck subtlety.
>>
>>53813427
Yeah, that's pretty much what one of my players ended up doing. They went full Ezio and had an array of hidden weapons combined with several obvious weapons. It was cool, but got a couple of people killed when a crit caused all his shit to detonate.
>>
>>53809470
well, on one hand they are just starting out, on the other hand, they are supposed to "burn brighter but burn shorter" as characters, so I am split between, "Go Big or Go Home" and "Baby Steps", Since posting that I figure I would split the difference and have the retrieve a firestorm Frigate that wandered too close to the Vortex. Solid ship, likely to have a black hold from which to recruit followers, and as an Imperial ship, the Heretics can wander into Imperial space without immediately drawing the Imperium's attention.
>>
I'm currently working on a conversion of rogue trader to use the 2nd edition style of aptitudes and converting origin path options and alternate career paths as elite advances. If anyone would like i could post the google doc link for perusal.
>>
>>53813474
Hahaha nice. My current character has managed to nab, all best craftmanship, shock whip, concealed holster and concealed sheath. He started with a compact pistol, so no one's finding that. I'm waiting for the day he's nonchalantly pretending to be a cultist, when suddenly- bam!- faceful of tasers. Hopefully he won't blow up before then.
>>
>>53813902
If your GM is anything like me, he'll allow for some really stupid shit like applying Compact to grenades and shit. Amusingly, his character was only one of several gimmicks since all the players were intimately familiar with the system.
>>
>>53813940
I seem to remember the grenades in the Ragnar series being more coins than pineapples, so there's precedent, haha.

But he seems reasonable so far, even generous with gear. We ruled that a best-quality concealed holster is even harder to find and has a regular draw speed. Let me make a mesh cowl to match the cloak, since 2e neglected to port that item over. Some other stuff.

Tell me about your gimmicky comrades, anon. We've got two techpriests, a Guardsman, an Untouchable Hospitaller (probably gonna refluff herself as a Sister of Silence), have gone through two psykers (dropping out, not blowing up), and myself, a glass cannon of a fop.
>>
>>53814164
So in addition to Viscount Imprezza T. Ortelline and his NOT!Ezio shit, we have the former Lady Deux Vous von Richthofen (psyker, noble, pyrophile, burned her family and their summer home, has a yandere maid) and our omnicidal walking artillery Tech Priest and former Ordo Reductor memberMagos Carcosa Bellacorext.

Tortellini did his Ezio shit for money, bitches, and ever more creative ways to kill people. His most convoluted kill had him and the Yellow King set up a Rube Goldberg machine inspired by the board game Mousetrap, only it ended in a small car falling through a ceiling onto the target. The car was on fire and filled with promethium containers. The car belonged to the best friend of the victim, who had been murdered at the victim's hand when the party made him believe that he'd been fucking the victim's wife.

Deux Vous would have been a slut but her yandere maid murdered all her suitors and left her feeling cursed. When she realized that she could kill with a kiss, she abused that shit. Her family took over several lesser holdings and got even richer. Everything was roses until she became a psyker at a party and burned their manse in the Space Hamptons to the ground. She gained some Insanity and fell in love with fire. Her maid is constantly putting out the various fires she starts due to jealousy.

The Yellow King, Carcosa Bellacorext, was once a member of the Ordo Reductor until he started thinking small. Why make mega guns when you can be the mega gun? He began carrying grenade launchers everywhere he went. His load out was 2 modified grenade launchers with underslung grenade launchers, a pocket full of compact grenades, a shoulder mounted grenade launcher, and a few more weird grenade types all over his body. He also had a single shot, silenced grenade pistol for stealthy missions.
>>
>>53814769
>The car was on fire and filled with promethium containers. The car belonged to the best friend of the victim, who had been murdered at the victim's hand when the party made him believe that he'd been fucking the victim's wife.
>shades of Thomas Jane Punished

My melanin rich companion
>>
>>53815299
It's not plagiarism, it's an homage!

Honestly, I steal more ideas and bash them together than I come up with original shit. I did Top Gun in Only War once. I don't think OW was meant for 3d combat.
>>
What is the best Rogue Trader ship and why is it the Star Galleon
>>
>playing deathwatch with friends
>character is a Lamenters tech-marine who was training on Mars during the whole rebellion
>trying to atone for the actions of his chapter
Is this a bad character concept/too snowflakey?
>>
>>53815495

that's not how you spell Repulsive
>>
>>53815495
Not the best; look at the fire arc diagrams, then realise that any more maneuverable vessel can keep "crossing the T" on it.
>>
>>53815527
it seems fine to me, i would suggest that he was already in the deathwatch when they rebelled, instead of mars, so it makes more sense that he stays there, and that he wears a fully black armor, instead of showing his original chapter symbol
>>
File: floating-lanterns-6310.jpg (391KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
floating-lanterns-6310.jpg
391KB, 1920x1200px
>>53779289
I've only been GMing for a year now and I want to know if FFG put in any rules for large crowd combat?
Cause rolling for every cultist individual is tedious as fuck.
Last session we had a grand finale where the Ordo Malleus raided a drug chain and had around 15 cultists, 5 elite enemies, 5 Adeptus Sorroritas, and 3 players.
I had to roll for everything individually and just to speed up the combat if a player landed a crit I would just declare the model dead since rolling for that shit would take too long.
Are there any rules that says if enemies are in large numbers you can just make a BS roll and that'll count for 5 of the 20 or so models? And then anything for allocating damage?
>>
>>53816845
deathwatch has rules for hordes
>>
>>53816845
Horde rules from Deathwatch/BC, although I hear they're extremely lethal for anyone not a Space Marine.
Rogue Trader may have mass combat somewhere in there, too.
>>
>>53816845
*Ordo Hereticus, my bad
>>
>>53816845
Check Horde rules (DW/BC) and Formation rules (OW - Enemies of the Imperium)
>>
>>53816845
My houserule: Divide by 10, round down. Roll a bunch of d10s instead of a bunch of d100s.

Say you have 20 cultists with BS 36. Just roll 20d10 and anything below 4 is a hit.
>>
>>53816906
That sounds like a pretty smart idea, however how would you allocate the hits fairly? Or as GM I determine who gets hit the most?
>>
>>53817097
I should have elaborated my post to include everything, sorry.

>target
If it's horde vs horde, just allocate after hits are scored somewhat randomly. If it's horde vs players roll a pool versus each player.

>hitting
Do the d10 thing I mentioned.

>damage
Roll damage as usual against players, use 8+weapon damage versus npcs (to speed things up).

>casulties
If an enemy is brought to 0 hp, they're out of combat. (Either too wounded to put up a meaningful fight, or dead). Determined by the GM.
>>
File: nofuckingway.png (420KB, 1063x341px) Image search: [Google]
nofuckingway.png
420KB, 1063x341px
(pic related) Do my eyes deceive me? I know FFG got bought by another company and therefore creating licencing issues but holy fucking shit I just bought this last year.
>>
>>53798093
equal and opposite of a null may be a grey knight

psyker that by canon "cannot fall to chaos" because the way they weild their powers is like, the opposite of daemon food or something

where a null just has nothing to eat
>>
My soon-to-be tech-priest for my 40k game is brand new to the setting, and really loves audio drama. Which one of the audio dramas does a good job of showing off the cogboys/having them do awesome stuff?
>>
>>53819369

binary secession
>>
File: tumblr_np127cXnih1r5k5j7o9_1280.png (1MB, 751x1048px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_np127cXnih1r5k5j7o9_1280.png
1MB, 751x1048px
How best do I introduce my new-to-the-verse player to being a psycher?

I don't believe they truly understand the HORRORS OF THE WARP
>>
>>53817780
Yep the prices went crazy
>>
So our Deathwatch team finally got up to Respected and I was thinking of taking a Lascannon to mix it up a bit, but RAW the ammo/clip size doesn't make much sense. Backpack ammo gives you 100 ammo for las weapons, but that seems absurd for a Lascannon; at the same time, only 6 shots before a double round reload on a heavy weapon is also pretty rough.

Any idea what it should be? Is it just six shots?
>>
>>53819398
Four words:
Perils. Of. The. Warp.
>>
>>53819825
Lascannons can't use backpack ammo supplies because they burn through them too quickly (at least according to DH Ascension)
>>
>>53819825
Guardsmen have to reload for 2 rounds after 6 shots

Marines get 100 shots from a backpack

Mind you that's basically "minimum" equipment, some forge worlds probably make 10 and 20 packs for the Cannon that cost a lot more, and a Relic Lascannon Backpack might hold 200 or even 300 shots maybe 2000

Also don't forget that backpack the power supply is attached to has a cold fusion reactor in it that effectively never expires, explodes or breaches containment RAW, the tech level of a Marine isn't exactly standard Imperium Low
>>
>>53820302
Mostly, unsure how to indicate to them what the warp is, and how it interacts with reality
>>
>>53819387
And if that one is unavailable?
>>
>>53821139
you can find a version of horus heresy: mechanicum on torrent
>>
>>53821124
Basic idea?

In modern Universe-level Physics, all of this came from nothing

In 40k, there's something between all of this coming from nothing and what we consider the "real world" that's essentially a kind of psycho active goo, like the river of slime in ghost busters 2, but invisible and prevalent throughout the entire universe

it reflects all the negative emotions of the world and manifests them back at us where reality is weak and the goo leaks through. The positively charged slime that makes lady liberty walk is the webway, or "ordered warp", it's esssentially the goo that is usable for stuff besides summoning daemons, killing everyone, smiting people with your eyes, skulls for the skull throne, etc.

the rub in all this? all of humanity's psykers draw their ability from the negative slime, and it occasionally kills them or them and everyone around them, that is, if something doesn't crawl up their ass and attempt to enslave the entire planet in a tide of goo-monsters
>>
>>53821213
>The positively charged slime that makes lady liberty walk is the webway, or "ordered warp",
That's not what the Webway is. Or really what the warp is.
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Warp
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Immaterium

>The common analogy used to describe Warpspace compares the Warp to a vast sea of energy, which is subject to constant movement, currents, undertows, etc. Although with its own reality, Warp and real space do bear a relationship as dimensions parallel to each other. The fact they share this relationship allows a Warp-capable craft to enter the Warp, carried for a time along the Warp flows, until reemerging into real space a distance away from its starting point. The common metaphor used for Warp-jumping compares the Warp to a fast flowing stream. Its motionless banks represent real space. A leaf dropped into the water upstream will be carried along by the currents. This is a useful metaphor in understanding Warpspace, although the Warp is far more complex in its movements than a linear stream. The Warp moves in endlessly unpredictable and convoluted patterns.[3]
>>
>>53821213
>The positively charged slime that makes lady liberty walk is the webway, or "ordered warp",
The webway is more like an antfarm with the dirt being the warp. The ordered warp doesn't exist anymore, save in the Emperor and that's assuming you prefer that origin story.
>>
>>53821480
>warp
>ever been ordered
At best it was just raw psychic energy populated by both benign and malign warp-entities until the War in Heaven fucked it.
>>
>>53821480
If warp is a sea webways are underwater tunnels.
>>
>>53821504
Like I said, only if you prefer that origin story; and even then, it was a yin/yang thing until yin got increasingly disproportionately powered and took over.
>>
>>53821548
>only if you prefer that origin story;
AFAIK, that version of the War in Heaven has not been retconned or significantly changed since it was first mentioned.

Unless Slaves to Darkness and whatever that other very early chaos book whose name escapes me atm had a different origin for it.
>>
>>53821480
>The ordered warp doesn't exist anymore

thus the "quotes"
>>
>>53821659
Slaves to Darkness, which has the Emperor created by thousands of thousands of psykers with "a special connection", to the warp's yang, did so because chaos was consuming all of the warp. This happened in 8000BC allegedly, so it doesn't really mesh well with the War in Heaven ruining the warp forever, unless the War in Heaven was a catalyst but the process was actually surprisingly, glacially slow.
Or maybe there were pockets of "order" or "yang" or whatever that managed to hold out for millions of years or something. Or maybe it didn't consumed everything and the Emperor was empowered by chaos. Whatever floats an anon's boat.
>>
>>53821747
>Whatever floats an anon's boat.
I'm glad canonical flexibility, and the willingness to mix and match eras of fluff, seems to be coming back into the community a bit; or at least the willingness to accept different points of view. 40k fluff is way too inconsistent, even in the present, for the rigidness many people were insisting on to be sustainable. And it was frankly ruining /tg/ imo.
>>
>>53821402
>The common metaphor used for Warp-jumping compares the Warp to a fast flowing stream. Its motionless banks represent real space. A leaf dropped into the water upstream will be carried along by the currents.

so basically the river of slime in GB2?

>>53819398
I mean did I really do that bad of a job?
>>
>>53821747
Well it did ruin the warp forever but the post-war in heaven warp wasn't as bad as it is in m41. Largely because the galaxy was so depopulated and the warp was thus relatively calm because of the lack of sapient beings having emotions. The War in Heaven ruined the warp forever because the concentrated sapient suffering and "bad" emotions led to the creation of the first daemons and larval Chaos Gods.

And iirc, the Shaman created the Emperor because they foresaw that the Warp would become a lot worse in the future and prevent them from reincarnating, which prompted them to create the Emperor in order to guide a psychically awakening humanity. And also, time is meaningless in the warp.

That's my take on it anyway, been ages since I read that stuff and can't really remember how consistent it is.

>>53821931
No, you're conflating a phenomena in real-space with a metaphor trying to describe an immaterial realm of pure energy that fundamentally is beyond human understanding as it is in a word, chaos.

It's not a wholly bad simile, but the Warp doesn't function like ectoplasm in GB.
>>
>>53820302
Describe it to him like hell. He's an unwitting satanic sorceror that doesn't know he is essentially eternally damned because of his connection to a realm of pure torture and energy from birth.
>>
>>53822085
the guy asking the question gets what the warp is, he's asking how to dumb down everything you guys are posting about into 2 or 3 lines...

or is he asking what to throw at them to introduce them to LOL POSSESSION

fuck now I don't even know whats going on

well played, anon, well played
>>
File: 1474141175499.jpg (41KB, 490x633px) Image search: [Google]
1474141175499.jpg
41KB, 490x633px
>>53822185
>fuck now I don't even know whats going on
>well played, anon, well played
And now I have no idea what's going on.

Pic related?
>>
>>53819398
Make him watch Event Horizon

Tell him that that is THE way of FTL travel, and THAT dimension is the very thing his brain acts as a direct conduit to.
>>
I'm playing an enginseer in Only War right now and consider switching him to Crimson Exemplar.

Does anyone know some interesting things you can do with them?

What are some other fun synergies between the Exemplar's abilities and other talents or just neat techpriest things in general?
>>
>>53819398
Tell him that his psyker is generally on equal standing with a witch in the middle ages, except in his case it's actually true
and that the only reason he's still alive is because he's useful.

Explain to him that his magic is drawn from space which is literally hell filled to the brim with lovecraft abominations
and that if he uses his powers there's always a chance that he unwillingly drags some of these space horrors into the physical world.
>>
Why is there no fillable version of the Rogue Trader charsheet in the MEGA, anyway?
>>
So many of my planetary governors have been bland and well meaning individuals, and I mean to change that. Inspired by Abnett (specifically Necropolis) I want my next governor to be a creepy psycho. However, I'm not quite sure what I want to do with him. I know I want him to be utterly and psychotically tyrannical in the vein of good ole Herman Van Strabb (though perhaps more competent) but I want him to also come across as spooky too. I was thinking maybe he replaced his whole face with a bionic, gilded mask with no visible eyes (the optics aren't colored so the eyes of the mask look like dark voids.) Something about not wanting potential rivals to be able to read his face or look into his eyes (the windows of the soul.) What I'm having issues coming up with, is other stuff to do with his appearance to make him extremely off putting, without also coming off as a chaos heretic.
Though as I wrote this, thinking of Necropolis again, maybe he can have somekind of servitor puppet next to him that he talks through. All the better to mask his voice as well, and to give nothing away.
>>
>>53825063
give him a bunch of Skitarii feathers about his neck and face?

claws for fingernails?
>>
>>53825063
He's carried everywhere by about a dozen Cherubim, gently floating a little off the ground

Can't have your enemies trace your steps when you have none
>>
>>53825459
I'm just imagining him floating into the room, arms outstretched inviting all to bask in his grotesque glory and thinking, that's just ridiculous. But then, what is 40k if not ridiculous?
>>
>>53825063
he uses that synthetic blood stuff so his flesh looks grey and dead. Like a metal-faced corpse.
>>
>>53825063

Have him waited on at all times by tired-looking children, who are kept on a literal leash attached to their collar.
>>
>>53785123
>>53784698
>>53784676

I have this idea as a force field, you think it is ok?

As a reaction, if the attack is ranged. Roll 2d10 and reduce the damage from range attack, (explosion and psychic power those similar are treated the same) If “11” is rolled, the attack has slipped through the field completely and the Damage is not reduced at all. If “00” is rolled, the damage is dealt to the original attacker. If is attack is melee, then the attack is made with -20 weapon skills. If the attack success, then the attack continues. If the attack fails the attacker is pushed away by 1d5 meters.
>>
>>53825930

Those are the old defensive field rules, and they suck. The new ones are far easier to deal with.
>>
>>53826017
I am just reading off first edition IH, is there somewhere else I can read of reference ?
>>
File: Gaben is my Shield.jpg (129KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
Gaben is my Shield.jpg
129KB, 1360x768px
>>53826067

Every system from Rogue Trader onward uses the new Defensive Fields. Check RT Into the Storm, Force Field section for instance.

Basically, the new one is shields have a PR rating, i.e. PR30. When you're hit by an attack, try to roll under the PR. If you do, hit negated. if you don't, you can try to dodge/parry as normal from there. PR30 is already hitting very rare, and PR50 shields are really hard to get. Everything above that is archeotech or made by ayyliens.
>>
File: 1496961585163.png (503KB, 877x745px) Image search: [Google]
1496961585163.png
503KB, 877x745px
>>
File: fuck me.png (144KB, 716x1360px) Image search: [Google]
fuck me.png
144KB, 716x1360px
It hurts, homies
>>
>>53828089
Is it a good pain?
>>
>>53828089
Hey Shas, out of curiosity: Any plans on doing a BC book at some point? You've worked on most of the other systems (but, to be fair, I have no idea what a BC book would even entail)
>>
>>53828089
That's how I feel trying to do battlescribe stuff for 8e. too much goddamn stuff
>>
>>53815367
My upcoming Only War game is inspired* by Halo 3 ODST. I can't wait to see how it turns out after my last game and the ridiculous shit the ratling did.
>>
>>53815527
During or after the events of the Badab War it is likely he experienced some disruptions in his training on Mars- part of Huron's rebellion was withholding his geneseed tithe from the Mechanicus, correct? Therefore, even being under the tutelage of Mars wouldn't save your Lamenter, because the Mechanicus would be pissy with the Lamenters for siding with the Astral Claws. He is likely to have endured some sort of purity and doctrinal testing.
>>
>>53830332
This
>>
Bunch of polish guys from the publisher that sold ffg 40krpg books are making a "Book of Ruinous Powers", which will contain obviously new psyker powers for chaos npc's. It's for dh2, not sure if there will be english version available.
>>
>>53828089
What's this?
>>
>>53816807
I would argue against the black armor. Lamenters were granted Emperor's Forgiveness so it would in my opinion make more sense that he would wear his colors visible and fight twice as hard to prove his chapter's loyalty.
>>
>>53832747
That's how I've been playing it so far. The gm has thrown a couple NPC blood angels into the mix that have made things pretty interesting seeing as they reeeally don't like him and have shown an aversion to giving him any kind of aid.
>>
>>53832784
Blood Angels not respecting fellow successor? The fuck
>>
>>53832809
The only successor not to attend their council thing and the one that, yknow, turned traitor
>>
>>53832838
Baal events? Do you know deathwatch stuff happens before the last stand mate?
>>
>playing only war
>fighting dark eldar
>players wound a deldar. He can't run away
>player states he rapes him
>yes the deldar was male
>player rapes deldar
>get discovered by the commissar
>player gets mad when the commissar kills the deldar and executes his PC

Well ok then
>>
>>53832953
Consider executing the player too
>>
>>53832953
Consider kicking the player.
>>
>>53828089
Why dont you take your trips and sell yourself somewhere else ?
>>
File: wallhaven-526389.jpg (1MB, 1920x2280px) Image search: [Google]
wallhaven-526389.jpg
1MB, 1920x2280px
Looking for some ideas.

In our next Dark heresy game the players are going to face Slaanesh «Cult of flowers»
The action will take place on the forgotten jungle planet where the pc will fight the guerrilla warfare with the cultists.

The cult endgoal is raising a giant flower inside the tower, i don't know what they'll do with it afterwards, probably harm a lot of people.

What are some interesting shenanigans that can happen? I want to abuse this flower theme as strong as possible
>>
>>53833544
Nothing merges with flower and petals themes better than samurais

Also giant carnivore plants
>>
>>53828526

he made a tzaangor on a bet once.
>>
>>53833544
The flower releases its Warp-charged pollen blanketing the entire planet.

The result is a murder-kill-orgy of planetary proportions, and the subsequent unleashing of Slaneeshi daemons all over the surface - the beginning stages of the planet becoming a Daemon world.
>>
>>53833427
Fuck off. He is actually doing something about this dead line
>>
>>53832715
deathwatch converted into horus heresy
>>
>>53833672
Maybe he should instead convert a fun system into good setting?
>>
>>53834583

It makes sense to convert the space marine system into space marines: the setting.
>>
how would a second generation genestealer behave if separate from the hivemind and his brood? would it make any sense for him to say stuff like "too bad i'm going to die, at least the hive is comming?"
>>
>>53835343
Probably will try to live a peaceful civil life and try to reproduce as much as he can
>>
>>53795674
Also it makes some acolytes have to deal with being shit-ass poor, and that amuses the heck outta me as a GM and a player. I wanna FEEL the wealth disparity
>>
>>53819536
I mean... in that case should I pick up some of hte copies from my FLGs and turn a tidy profit?

That might make me a shitbag, but I do like having money to ... well, probobally give right back to my FLGS for the 1E DH books I don't have yet...
>>
>>53835343
Aren't Genestealers separated from the Hivemind when not part of the fleet?
I mean, I though that was reason for the eventual spawning of the Patriarch so that it could contact the Hivefleet.
>>
>>53820302
>>53821931
>>53822353
>>53822797

Thanks all. Any piece of (preferrably specifically 40k) media that does a good job showing what it is like to be a non-spess-mahreen psycher in the imperium? I'm finding more and more it is easier to get newbies into the lore by handing them a good piece of narrative.
>>
>>53836789
yes, that is called brood synapse, but if every pure genestealer and magnus is killed, or if second generations genestealer are brought really far away, then they are on their own, and they cannot use the brood synapse. what i'm trying to figure out is if they would behave as humans that got indoctrinated in to the cult, or if they would behave as pure genestealer.

i think i will go for the first interpretation, because it allows me to have a second generation captured and interrogated by the acolytes
>>
>>53833665

There is no justification for defending trips you shit smeared mongoloid.
Trips are the cancer of all boards. So go and blow him somewhere else.
>>
>>53835343
>>53836857
Do you mean Genestealer *Hybrids* or Genestealers?
>>
>>53836857
Wiki seems to imply that they are more like clever animals than true sentients.
>>
>>53836952
yeah, hybrids, any generation of them actually, not just the second one
>>
>>53836969
yeah there is the line
>However, a Hybrid will always display the Genestealer's primal instincts;
but magus and primus are fourth generation hybrids and the whole point of them is that they can behave as humans.
one could say that it is the great raptor that is handling every social interaction of every member of the group, but it does not make much sense.
>>
In the grim dark future, there is Only War.
I need a list of talents that will help with single target damage for a ratling sniper, that is mainly fighting against the Severance Dominant, Orcs, and possibly Dark Eldar. And with 46 agility (after raising it twice with xp then once with 2500 milestone), when should I stop increasing Dodge
>>
File: Hybrid Gens.jpg (531KB, 1424x980px) Image search: [Google]
Hybrid Gens.jpg
531KB, 1424x980px
>>53836978
Try and restart the cult, most likely. Considering that the entire life-cycle and development of a Genestealer Cult is genetic programming, I sincerely doubt any surviving hybrid (particularly the early gens, who are more alien than man-like) would be able to exert a great measure of free will. As they are both indoctrinated with typical cult methods, psychic indoctrination from the brood synapse and the genetic programming from the Hive Mind in its creation of Genestealers and the type of subversion its used for.

That's my extrapolated guess on the fluff from the codex, anyway. Pic related is the most relevant fluff to your question from the Codex.

>>53837099
>but magus and primus are fourth generation hybrids and the whole point of them is that they can behave as humans.
Yeah, because beyond the Patriarch they're the brains of the cult. The only individuals within with anything remotely close to free will. The codex says they're created when the Cult needs them to lead them to take over the host society (a Primus for instance is only birthed when the Cult nears readiness to militarily take over its host society), which requires far more advanced thinking than the indoctrinated masses can do.
>>
>>53837189
>tough their mind is alien that defy analysis, the second generation is sapient enough to understand their host society
well, i guess that the second generation cannot be scanned with spy powers, but they can intentionally or by mistake provide information.
i guess they would not speak when tortured toh. and that seems to apply to every hybrid
>>
File: 1493298408867.jpg (139KB, 941x621px) Image search: [Google]
1493298408867.jpg
139KB, 941x621px
>>53837389
>making telepathic contact with a Genestealer Hybrid
>>
>>53837421
from what i can read from that codex, as long as it's not connected to the hive or brood mind, and it's a third or fourth generation hybrid, it should be a possible thing.

i would have the psyker take 1d5 insanity points if they fail a willpower test (-20 if third generation) toh.
>>
>>53836875

This. Some newfags forget that tripfags can never create win, only fail. They should be purged before they become an infestation.
>>
>>53804641
Wasn't there a theory that one of the C'tan is responsible for the 'nids?
>>
What is a trip?
>>
>>53837713

tyranids origin is "uh oh spaghettios" during the horus heresy
>>
>>53837189
One of my players is a telepath and will surely try using the link on magus or 3rd generation ones. Wat do
>>
>>53837728
A unique ID to give you an identity on an anonymous imageboard. Trip fans have a bad wrap because you're supposed to be anonymous, and so unless having a unique identity is crucial to a thread topic for whatever reason, it's just attention whoring.
>>
>>53837728
>>53837769
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
>>
>>53837766
Slap them with an absolute fuck ton of Insanity and Corruption for being so retarded.
>>
>>53837769
Cry me a river. Shas has his trip for longer than you lurk 40krpg
>>
>>53837794
They dont know they are 'stealer cult yet. How woulf the willpower test modifier look like? Probalby lots of genestealer psychic screams raping the players psyker mind, I agree.
>>
File: rape and lemon juice.jpg (106KB, 800x960px) Image search: [Google]
rape and lemon juice.jpg
106KB, 800x960px
>>53836826
There's this classic, although it's more about warp jumps specifically
>>
>>53837766
if they are connected to the hive mind, he is dead (only tigurius survived that)
if they are connected to the brood mind he should roll on the shock table with a +60 on the roll.

if you are really kind and he is targeting the magnus, the magnus could deny the witch with no further consequences. if it's a third generation not connected to the brood mind this >>53837471
>>
>>53837825
>How woulf the willpower test modifier look like?
Opposed.
>>
>>53837796
>Cry me a river
You caught me at the wrong end of my bipolar for that, sorry. No tears today.

>Shas has his trip for longer than you lurk 40krpg
I wouldn't count on that, but I couldn't tell you definitively because I barely remember my first days here and 4plebs isn't long enough to cover his or I's first post.
>>
>>53837766
>trying to mind read a fragment of the Great Devourer

"You sense some fragments of rational thought, all but completely drowned out by an endless, ravening hunger beyond reason"
then have them make a WP test or enter Frenzy and try to attack the nearest person with their teeth.
>>
>>53837860
The cult is not yet connected to hive mind because its in askellon and pandemonium blocks the cult off somewhat and its only the brood mind. The primus is yet to be born. So I guess shock table with fuckhueg modifier works
>>
>>53837920
The Magus is the human front man of the hive though, so it probably wouldn't be too bad, comparatively speaking. It's if they try to connect with the Patriarch that he ought to hit them with the full wrath of the hive mind.
>>
>>53837928
the primus does not really matter, the one that matters is the great raptor (or whatever is called this days). he is the one that generates the brood synapses.
oh, and by the way, i suggested to roll on the shock table right away without a fear test first because this is not a frightening event but a mind breaking one, and it's impossible for a human to overcome that.

you can replace >>53837471
with a frightening test for fourth generation and horrifying for third ones.

>>53837920
while he is screaming
>they are coming! I feel them scratching inside my mind, scratching, screaming, running, so many - so, so many voices. They are coming for us - flesh, body and soul!
and then he dies
>>
>>53837860
>if they are connected to the brood mind he should roll on the shock table with a +60 on the roll.
and then take 5 extra insanity points because the base rulebook states that:
>In addition, if a non-combat Fear Test is failed by 30 or more, the character also gains +1d5 Insanity Points.
>>
>>53838014
Can a magos hide his genestealer features? I.e. too big head, alien teeth, the strange eyes and lack of hair. Surgically speaking aswell
>>
>>53838088
>s a Genestealer Hybrid of the 4th generation, he appears nearly human, although is invariably bald and heavy boned. He is highly intelligent and possesses formidable psychic ability. His "normal" appearance allows him to operate as the public spokesman for the clan or cult, which is disguised as a legitimate religious, political or social movement
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Genestealer_Magus
>>
>>53838136
* i guess he can use hypnotic powers trick people, but if those do not work, and the one who is watching him know what a genestealer cult is, then no, he will be able to tell he is the magus
>>
How much of a deep shit are 4 1500 exp lvl acolytes facing one or two genestealers? I.e. the stalker ones from enemies without i think
>>
>>53838262
Obviously Ill want them to run like Forrest Gump through the jungle but I wonder if they will be stupid enough to try facing them
>>
First time GM-ing Black Crusade for mostly first time players.

What do?
>>
>>53838346
have you considered starting with Dark Heresy?
>>
>>53838346
Tie them together in a mutual compact that wont make them go murderhobo on 1st session and dont mix heretics with csm. Allow maybe one csm if the party is big enough
>>
>>53837796

And that gives one power over the board?
The reason 4chan is different from other info sharing outlets is because posters dont have an identitiy.

If you want to have an identity go join reddit, dakkadakka forum or a facebook group and post with your identity there as much as you like.
If you want to post in 4chan unless it is absolutely necessary you stay anonymous.
>>
>>53838262
not sure about second edition genestealer, but first edition one can one shot a human if they can do a full action against them
>>
>>53838426
I think the trips are necessary when he's posting about stuff he's made, just to make things clearer about technical arguments.
I don't know if he has a right to trip when he's just talking about lore and stuff. When he does that, he's just tripping to use his reputation to say that he's a 40k expert. I don't know if that's right.
>>
>>53838426

Given how he's been shitposting for almost ten years now, it's doubtful he even cares at this point. He just kind of "is."
>>
Best way to deal with trip-fags is to ignore them. Sadly some will reply to them ,most of the time not even noticing the user has a trip-fag. Trip-fag will mistake this reply as a confirmation of its pitifull existence and will continue shit-posting..
>>
File: genestealer.jpg (38KB, 280x366px) Image search: [Google]
genestealer.jpg
38KB, 280x366px
>people talking about genestealer cults
>check out stuff related to them
>find out about codex trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8klnCoAEi0
holy fuck how is not everyone running a dark heresy campaign on them
>>
File: 1299046657285.gif (33KB, 250x234px) Image search: [Google]
1299046657285.gif
33KB, 250x234px
In a game of Black Crusade, our fleshcrafter has come up with the idea to take a Tau planet to mess around with, and our GM mentioned that Tau might be descended from animals similar to cattle and goats, meaning that with some genetic modification, we could theoretically create a livestock race from them, as well as use those similar genes to create beastmen from them. Just how difficult might this be to pull off on a planetary scale should we actually take a world/colony ship from the Tau?
We're aware of the darker imllications of this, but this came from one of the three Slaaneshi players, so it's an idea bound for horror regardless.
>>
>>53839284
>holy fuck how is not everyone running a dark heresy campaign on them
My players would probably kill me if I used GeneCults as the villain again.
>>
>>53839379
do you have a story to tell regarding that adventure?
>>
A major downside to Genestealer cultists is how well documented their infestation is and since it's an army of it's own, probably everyone has read everyone about them.
>>
>>53839403
Nothing exciting, no.
>>
>>53839447
That's why you cloak it in as much jargon and unique behavior of the cult you're using to throw off lore-savvy players. Remember, information is not freely accessible in the Imperium, so few characters should know anything about GeneCults.
>>
File: ffn-orc.png (84KB, 652x252px) Image search: [Google]
ffn-orc.png
84KB, 652x252px
>>53839461
>>
>>53839461
Unique behavior, some really minor changes. In my game only one player was suspecting genestealers, the rest were thinkin about heretics.
>>
>>53839554
well, i mean, one has to build the campaign around it.
instead of a "normal" genestealer campaign, maybe it is primus that is trying to get a ship to expand the cult on other planet of the system, or a one where all the purestrain are dead and all is left are first and second generation hybrids that are trying to get to the fourth one to breed new purestrain
>>
>>53833544
three words four because of slaanesh flowering fungal genital infections
>>
>>53836826
my best advice would be to hand him the eisenhorn and ravenor trilogies

besides GG they're considered probably the best books of the entire line
>>
>>53835343
revert to a feral state? that's what everything else does when broken from the hive mind
>>
>>53838288
a lot if they fight, at least with 2 of them, not much trouble if you let them get away

of course my idea of "big trouble" is a TPK
>>
>>53839899
Yeah one is enough I think. Also check em
>>
>>53839317
I would treat it like a horror movie in reverse. Like, you would experiment on a few Tau, kidnap a few, then escalate to taking a small ship full of Tau, to see if you can do it on a larger scale. You can take individuals pretty easily, but as your sample groups get larger and larger you have to take more and more steps to keep it from being noticed. Like, faking an ork raid or something, making sure there's a reason why there would be no bodies.
Then it would probably involve a specific mutating virus that changes them into these creatures, in which case you'd have to deal with Tau doctors trying to find a cure, or a large-scale sorcery, which requires a lot of specific rituals at specific times and places, each of which must remain uninterrupted.
Meanwhile you have to deal with a hardboiled detective-type Tau official who is fairly certain of the truth but can't get anyone to believe him. If he succeeds, you'd have to move from secrecy into full-blown conquest.

And then you have to worry about Tau trying to liberate it. It would be interesting to see what they'd do once they found it. Have the Tau ever done an Exterminatus?
>>
>>53840275
>Have the Tau ever done an Exterminatus?

A couple of times, mainly by accident.
>>
>>53837105
My ratling player never once used XP. He has felt no need to because he's damn near invisible in firefights with all the big, bolter weilding humans around him.
>>
>Geller field flickers.
>Daemonettes with hypnotic singing appears on board of the ship.
>Ship crew quickly becomes mad zombies who attacks anything that moves including each other.
>PCs quickly realizes what's going on and use candle wax to seal their ears.
>Still can somewhat hear singing.
>All this time they was making Willpower tests to not become a zombie.
>Emperor protects. Not a single failed test.
>They started yelling prayers to outcry daemonic singing.
>Making their way through mad crew searching for a daemon.
>They are all good shooters. One of them with arbites combat shotgun.
>Not a single scratch. Not a single failed willpower roll. Not a single phenomena from psyker.
>Getting closer to the source of singing.
>It's getting harder to ignore it. Wax not helping. Prayers still somewhat helps.
>Found some voidsuits.
>Sealed them. Helps a bit.
>Found daemons surrounded by dozens of surviving crew.
>Daemons order crew to attack PCs.
>PCs have upper ground and some makeshift barricades from the debris left by crew.
>Great position with good defenses. Perfect for gunners they are.
>Psyker tries to fry crew.
>Rolled 88.
>73 Warp Madness.
>Everyone spend a Fate Point but still all of them fails spectacularly.
>They hate attacking crew.
>They hate them so much they stop praying and leave their positions and start bashing crew with their bolters and plasmaguns.
>Now they are surrounded by frenzied mad crew zombies.
>No one can shoot.
>Frenzy fades. They roll to resist singing.
>If they were still praying at least two of them would've passed their tests.
>Everyone fails.
>Everyone loves the song.
>Everyone want to kill things in it's rhythm.

After that I've gave them a chance to overcome this trance but they was out of Fate Points and failed every test. They burned a Fate Point each to be saved by ship Ecclesiarchy clergy who deafened themselves with needles and was kicking and blessing left and right.

Single fucking phenomena fucked everything up.
>>
File: Psychic Raptors in Lust.jpg (41KB, 313x499px) Image search: [Google]
Psychic Raptors in Lust.jpg
41KB, 313x499px
>>53840907
>Single fucking phenomena fucked everything up.

Sounds about right.
>>
>>53840907
>ship Ecclesiarchy clergy who deafened themselves with needles

Nice touch.
>>
HOT BRED

>>53842242
>>53842242
>>53842242
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.