[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any RPG systems where the players are specifically

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: classroom.png (669KB, 957x426px) Image search: [Google]
classroom.png
669KB, 957x426px
Are there any RPG systems where the players are specifically told *not* to read part of the rulebook?

I've always liked the idea of an RPG where the PCs are learning magic, and the players don't actually know exactly how magic works until their characters acquire those abilities.

But I'm also interested in any other system with explicitly "secret" information.
>>
>>53779154
PARANOIA
>>
>>53779154
Unknown Armies has different sections depending on how clued-in your party is to the truth of the setting, how it all works and that.
>>
I've been told Paranoia does this but I haven't read it to find out, obviously.
>>
>>53779202
>>53779321
Knowledge of the rulebook is treason, citizen.
>>53779246
Sounds interesting, go on...
>>
>>53779321
To be fair it's not like the players can't.

It's just displaying knowledge of rules beyond your security clearance is obviously traitorous activity.
>>
>>53779154
The back third of the eclipse phase books is ostensibly for GMs only and presents a couple different possible explanations for some of the more mysterious goings on in the setting.
>>
I'm pretty sure the Continuum rule book does something like that, but it also reads at least partially like cult literature. I'm not sure if that was the intent or not...
>>
How to sell players on Paranoia anyway?
I keep making sales pitches but it seems that "you will suspect your teammates" and "you will die. a lot" are not getting enough attention from them
>>
>>53779516
>Citizen, Friend Computer requests that you report to sub-sector 2B to assist in a troubleshooting mission.
>Please note that attendance is mandatory. Tardiness is treason, and will result in your immediate termination.
>>
>>53779154
Doesn't literally every rpg book at some point say "this information. Is for the GM only"?
>>
>>53779441
>Knowledge of the rulebook is treason, citizen.
>I only know PARANOIA through stale /tg/ memes

If you actually look at the rulebook, it's clearly divided into a section the players are allowed to read and a section they are forbidden to read.
>>
>>53779154
In my very first game played the GM told us 'you're all not allowed to read the rulebook, I'll handle everything.'

It was pathfinder, and he dropped the idea real quick.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.