[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>STILL playing Dungeons and Dragons Explain yourselves.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 44

File: 1488057386880.jpg (126KB, 1400x700px) Image search: [Google]
1488057386880.jpg
126KB, 1400x700px
>STILL playing Dungeons and Dragons
Explain yourselves.
>>
>>53778818
No.
>>
>>53778824
Explain yourself NOW.
>>
>>53778818
I like having a bad game rather than no game.
>>
>>53778900
>I like getting fucked in the ass instead of being a virgin.
This is what you sound like
>>
>>53778818
>5e is the best thing we've ever played!
t. one of my players
>>
>>53778818
>STILL making these threads
Explain yourselves.
>>
>>53778959
I don't know whether someone would say that because they don't know any better or because they have lower expectations after playing 3.PF or something.
>>
>>53778931
>Stop having fun with things I don't like!

This is what you sound like.

Did we really need ANOTHER topic for some friendless faggot to bitch about how he doesn't like DnD because he has some imaginary perfect system in his head that won't actually ever exist ever nor does he have the friends to actually play it if it did.

You should take your own advice though, if only because it can't be any worse than the stick up your ass already.
>>
Tabletop is a hobby, and people tend to do the thing that makes them happy in their spare time.

Posting partisan bullshit on a Thai Bitstrips fansite is yours and continuing to ignore the same bullshit is mine.
>>
>>53778818
It's fun.
>>
>>53778986
You'd rather deal with a shit game that you're not enjoying than not playing at all, which at least means that you're free to do something else with your time, which is the definition of being bottom bitch.

Don't project your latent homosexuality onto me just because you can't understand why someone else doesn't enjoy getting their shit-packed as much as you do faggot.
>>
File: 1487233373587.png (80KB, 211x244px) Image search: [Google]
1487233373587.png
80KB, 211x244px
>>53778990
>continuing to ignore the same bullshit is mine.
>he says while giving OP (you)'s and encouraging his behavior
>>
>>53778931
Are you saying that I didn't lose my virginity when I slept with my girlfriend? Because I'm pretty sure you don't know anything about sex or relationships.
>>
File: Shitposter projects.jpg (34KB, 490x333px) Image search: [Google]
Shitposter projects.jpg
34KB, 490x333px
>>53779041
Except I never said I didn't enjoy it, sooo your point is kind of completely moot.

Now lets talk about projection and how mad u is, bruh.
>>
>>53778818
It's fun
D&D4e is a good TTRPG
>>
File: laff.gif (202KB, 500x284px) Image search: [Google]
laff.gif
202KB, 500x284px
>>53779041
>Stop enjoying things I don't like!
>Just because I hate a thing, that must mean you hate it too!
>You only play things you hate because you're gay!

Wow... just fucking wow. Do your parents know the kinds of things you're saying online kiddo, cos someone really needs to shove a bar of soap in your mouth.
>>
>>53779070
>Except I never said I didn't enjoy it
Ahem
>>>53778900
>I like having a bad game rather than no game.

Oh, but let me guess, this wasn't your post or something?
>>
>>53779089
It is indeed fun, anon
AD&D and Moldvay's Basic are also quite good.
>>
>>53779069
I'm saying that it wouldn't surprise me if your girlfriend brought out a strapon since it's obvious that she wears the pants in the relationship.
>>
>>53779105
Yes, cleary everyone who thinks you're a retard (AKA this entire thread) is the same person samefagging.

Or are you too retarded to see the actual IP-number counter at the bottom of the screen?
>>
>>53778818
It's fun; and how long ago it was created does not change this in anyway--nor do scumbag, assblasted faglords like you that shitpost about the MOST POOPULAR rpg of all time because you're on your rag like a bitch and likely jealous that you yourself cannot write a better sytem. There is nothing objectively wrong with DnD other than things shortcomings that most/all RPG's face. Namely, they aren't perfect and require you have a table of non-shitter tyoes to fully enjoy and appreciate the time spent.
End of thread. Everyone go home.
>>
>>53779057

>2. recommence or resume after interruption.

>"we continue the story from the point reached in Chapter 1"
>synonyms:resume,pick up,take up,carry on with,return to,recommence

>"we continued our conversation after supper"

This is why we need Americans to understand the value of education.
>>
>>53778858
We don't have to explain ourselves: we're playing the best and most available RPG out there, loser. Justify YOUR shitty, barely-known game of choice, captain fucknuts.
>>
File: Bap.png (30KB, 234x183px) Image search: [Google]
Bap.png
30KB, 234x183px
A thread died for this.

You could've made a legitimately good thread. You could've used your imagination and sense of fun to bring something worthwhile on the board. You could even have trolled us in a remotely original and novel way.

But no. You keep bringing us this same stale bullshit for cheap and easy baits because you are an unimaginitive, emotionally stunted faggot. You are the cancer that keeps killing /tg/. Kindly go outside and find something more fulfilling for you to do.
>>
>>53779101
I'm not the one who said that they'd rather have a bad game than no game.

Then again, it doesn't surprise me that a weeb is defending 3.PF, not one bit.
>>
>>53778931
Ha, virgin detected. Butthurt faggot levels are off the charts, someone breakout the anti-neckbeard spray.
>>
>>53778964
This. Only post that needed to happen in these threads. For the rest of fucking time.
>>
>>53779127
>continuing to ignore the same bullshit is mine.
>a statement which implies that he's seen this thread before
>yet he still posted in it regardless of foreknowledge that it's the same shit as before.
>Even trying to throw pseudo-intellectualism at me to save face when confronted by your own hypocrisy.

This is why autists need handlers to keep them from spouting stupid shit online. Thank christ this is an anonymous board at least.
>>
>>53779120
Look, I don't know why I'm bothering to explain this to a neckbeard like you, but some girls have penises. Just because some people - more than you might think! - get misgendered at birth, that doesn't mean that they have to live their lives with that burden. It's 2017, and the world is changing.

So you enjoy your hand. I'll be enjoying an active sex life with the woman I love :)
>>
File: 1377089708983.jpg (82KB, 700x714px) Image search: [Google]
1377089708983.jpg
82KB, 700x714px
>>53779158
>This thread is trash
>Let me bump it so I can tell you how shit you are!
>>
>>53779041
Lol look who's talking about latent homosexuality. Hahahahahahaha, topshelf kek kiddo. You BLEED insecurity.
>>
>>53778818
It's fun.
>>
>>53779210
I liked 4chan more when "sage" was clearly visible.
>>
>>53779163
>"See anon, it still counts even if I can't sit down for a few days..."
Keep telling yourself that sport.
>>
>>53779041
Pssssh what a momumental waste of skin you sound like. Good for nothing simian--it is perpetuators of grand ignorance like you that give the entire human race an ugly appearance.
>>
File: 1376692384780.jpg (40KB, 800x804px) Image search: [Google]
1376692384780.jpg
40KB, 800x804px
>>53779201
>some girls have penises.
>>
>>53779120
Wow, such low tier trolling I almost expect you to be a dog at a keyboard. BWAHAhaha, I bet you don't know what a vagina feels like.
>>
>>53779201
>some girls have penises.
The only thing that's misgendered is your manhood faggot.
>>
>>53779190
>Having to resort to implications when the literal explanation of the post exists
>trying to explain the use of the correct word in the correct context is an attempt at intellectualism

It's like you're really embarrassed, or something...
>>
File: 1452465061050.jpg (211KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1452465061050.jpg
211KB, 640x640px
>>53779228
>>
>>53779222
Nice comeback Copernicus, though I've seen better from pre-teens.
>>
>>53779255
The only embarrassment I feel is for you, because somehow you thought that your post was actually good.
>>
No really, I have no idea why anyone here is giving this faggot any time of day.

Or are you just arguing with yourself? That's probably the most rational explanation to this.
>>
>>53779264
Shit tier rebuttal and inaccurate. I'm a /fit/izen with an active sexlife and gread comerades at my side at a moments notice. Get gud or slash your wrists, subhuman swill.
>>
File: giphy.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>53779143
>we're playing the best
>>
OP here.

Fuck you, stop talking about girl dick or whatever. I want a FUCKING explanation.
>>
>>53778818
What's there to explain? Years and years of autists writing game rules, and companies pushing supplements as hard as they can have created a player base that think they need to play the same thing as everyone else, and that the amount of OFFICIAL MATERIAL is important in a cooperative activity about imaginary adventures.

We were fucked when role-playing stopped being something that fantasy nerds did and turned into something GAMERZ did. I puke every time someone approaches character creation the same way they do deckbuilding or videogames, but since I'm an adult and can choose who I associate with, rather than sticking to the same 5 people I played with in highschool by default, It's not a problem for me any more.
>>
File: 5e2.jpg (35KB, 600x475px) Image search: [Google]
5e2.jpg
35KB, 600x475px
>>53779330
Maybe people just have fun with d&d
>>
>>53779302
True on the grounds that there is always a game available, the rules are readily understood by all--and it does what it says what it supposed to do. It has stood the test of time, and for that reason it couod be argued as "the best" in a certain sense. Of course, obviously, there is no way to absolutely say that any game is "the best" overall--since that is purely subjective.
>>
>>53779341
b-but they're having fun WRONG and must be told about it!

every single day forever!
>>
>>53779315
You've recived many. Now you're just being a whiny, little, repelling cunt, as usual. Go wash the taste of dick amd loser out of your mouth and see if you're less salty after you get the cum from between your teeth.
>>
File: disgusting.jpg (8KB, 190x153px) Image search: [Google]
disgusting.jpg
8KB, 190x153px
>>53779341
>having fun
>>
>>53778818
Why do you think?
>>
>>53779290
People on /tg/ have an inability to let shit go, even when they know that the subject matter upsets them or will lead to the same arguments over and over again.

It's why alignment threads, martial vs. caster threads, anti-3.PF threads, etc. keep hitting bump limit with 30-50 IP's while threads asking for help or generating OC rarely hits 100 posts before eventually falling off the face of the earth.

Bait only works if there's retards who are willing to bite it and nobody on this board wants to do anything BUT bite onto blatant bait.
>>
>>53779385
Having fun ought to be the main goal of any recreational activity. The problem is of course that it's fucking impossible to have fun with D&D.
>>
>>53779408
I don't know. There is literally no reason to play Dungeons and Dragons when far better systems exist.
>>
>>53778818
I love the way you talk so big throughout this whole thread, and yet I would bet everything that most people in this thread could smash your fat fucking face in with one punch. Myself included. I could lay you out with a glancing blow you fucking landwhale.
>>
>>53779377
>Go wash the taste of dick amd loser out of your mouth
Whose the one fucking a tranny again?
>>
>>53779341
Like I said, I'm a grown up and I can play with whoever I want so people liking different things than me is not a problem. I'm just saying that there's no mystery behind why so many people play D&D.

Personally I think that D&D players roughly fall into two categories: People who would get more mileage out of other games as long as they played with likeminded people, and people who could switch to board games without losing anything, since it's more of a social activity and the gaming part is more important to them than role-playing.

I'm not saying people don't enjoy D&D, just that, like with a lot of things, there are things I'm sure they'd enjoy more, because D&D is so-so at best at what it's trying to do.

It's like Warhammer 40 000. For decades of my life it's been one of the biggest miniature wargames in a lot of places, despite being horrendous rules-wise and in spite of the constant conflict between the people who want to paint miniatures and collect and nerd out about Myguys, and the people who for some reason play only to win.
But it's had the marketing and the name-brand recognition, so it hasn't mattered. Same with D&D.
>>
File: 1490022325271.jpg (93KB, 680x907px) Image search: [Google]
1490022325271.jpg
93KB, 680x907px
>>53778818
Fuck you nigga don't tell me what to do. I ain't explaining shit.
>>
>>53779436
Nigga, you probably got winded typing up that sentence. It's easy to be a tough guy on an anonymous image board but I bet you're just as chicken shit as anyone else ITT once you have to confront people IRL.
>>
>>53779437
Not even the same dude, bruh. Literally, learn how to 4chan before you sit at yiur computer and try to intelligently post. You're nothing.
>>
I play magic and think d&d looks fun but don't know anyone that plays it.

I'm just here to be apart of something.
>>
>>53779462
Where do you live? If I can put my fist through bricks, I can sure as hell drill it through the front of your goddamned skull.
>>
>>53779465
>I-I'm telling you I-I'm n-n-n-not the same guy...
Sure pal, whatever you say. Tell your boyfriend that I said hi.
>>
File: 1448203443051.jpg (78KB, 340x314px) Image search: [Google]
1448203443051.jpg
78KB, 340x314px
>>53779476
> If I can put my fist through bricks
>>
>>53779462
You could have a gun to my head, and I would still try and fight you.
>>
>>53779476
There's only one person allowed to put their fist in me, and it sure ain't you, buddy.
>>
>>53779477
Okay, apparently you're a noob and can't tell people on 4chin apart.. Hey everybody, disregard this greenie entirely from now on, he has literally no idea what he's even doing here
>>
>>53779350
>there is always a game available
If you're willing to play with autistic strangers, perhaps. People here usually prefer other systems over D&D, and it's only played by those who'd like to pretend that 5E is somehow more old school than other systems or by newcomers to the hobby who's heard about D&D on television.

>the rules are readily understood by all
Fuck no.

>and it does what it says what it supposed to do
Barely. It's practically a video game simulator from a time before video games were capable of doing what it does. Why on earth you'd want to play that over an actual video game or a system that does something only a tabletop rpg can do is beyond me.
>>
File: robait frost.jpg (167KB, 900x700px) Image search: [Google]
robait frost.jpg
167KB, 900x700px
>this whole thread
>>
>>53779493
just because you're too weak to do it, doesn't mean it's impossible. There's a man that pulled an airplane with his dick. His fucking dick. To me, that seems impossible. But it happened.
Have you tried getting good yet?
>>
>>53779519
Depends on who you play with. Depends on which edition. Literally a 10 year old could memorize the rules, it's child's play.
>>
>>53779540
Either post a youtube video of yourself doing it or GTFO
>>
>>53779518
Listen man, it's okay, I believe that you're not the same guy.

*wink*
>>
>>53778818

It offers enough options for people to play their favorite fantasy archetypes without drowning players in choices, they clearly grow in power care of the level system, and has a unified 'just fudge it' rule with advantage. Most of the mechanics use similar dice mechanics and so are intuitive, unlike most systems which have different sub-rules for everything, so little time is wasted looking things up or arguing.

I know it's a bait thread but that's why I still play d&d. We can sit down and play what we want, there's rarely any confusion with rules, and uncertain scenarios are resolved quickly.
>>
>>53779639
>It offers enough options for people to play their favorite fantasy archetypes without drowning players in choices
Are we talking about the same game here?
>>
>>53779639
>DnD
>there's rarely any confusion with rules
Now that's some real bait
>>
File: Up on a Soapbox.png (737KB, 1075x542px) Image search: [Google]
Up on a Soapbox.png
737KB, 1075x542px
>>53778818

Because fuck you for even implying that playing D&D and playing swinegames are even remotely the same hobby. They're not.

You want to play a wangsty vampire and explore what to means to be human vs being a monster? And you want to do that by playing an alleyway super-hero with an uzi? Fine, but sit over there, and don't you dare even try to associate with me, you pasty gothic freak.

You want to sperg out over modifiers and break your GM's game-world with your cleric, druid, or wizard build plus cherry-picked prestige levels from Pathfinder supplementary hardcover no. 37? We are not engaged in the same activity here, Señor Autismo. Not even remotely.

You think it's all about the story? You want to ride the rails oh-so-subtly crafted by your frustrated novelist GM who "compels" you to follow them with a nod, a wink, and a poker chip worth +2 on your next fudge dice roll? Weird hobby you have over there. Please stay seated at the kiddie-table in the corner, with the rest of the drama club.

D&D is rules for fantastic medieval wargames campaigns playable with paper and pencil and miniature figures. We don't explore characters, we explore dungeons. And it's so different from what most of you socially-stunted weebtards think of as constituting a "role-playing game" that I marvel at how you could ever drum up the temerity to suggest that whatever you're doing is somehow similar to what I'm doing. You are not playing a real role-playing game, and I am not a willing participant in your hipster "geek culture", or whatever the fuck it is you think you're trying to accomplish.

Go away and quit trying to make your hobby into a cancer leeching off of mine.
>>
>>53779698
Oh boy, now it's a fucking party.
>>
>>53779698
You're wrong and stupid. I could go into more detail, but it would be totally pointless. Suffice to say, you're wrong and stupid.
>>
>>53779819
>You're wrong
>Not going to explain why
>but you're WRONG!
>>
>>53779698
>ride the rails oh-so-subtly crafted by your frustrated novelist GM
Spoken like a man who has never played a narrative driven rpg.
>>
>>53779943
Exactly. He (you) is too far gone to listen to reason. All I can do is get a cheap laugh by insulting him (you).
>>
>>53778858
Only if you offer me a coffee.
>>
File: spy.jpg (95KB, 1438x861px) Image search: [Google]
spy.jpg
95KB, 1438x861px
>>53779698
nyeh-heh-heh
>>
>>53779982
>Assuming I'm the same guy just because I insulted you
Sure are alot of newfags ITT
>>
>>53778818
Its fun and the only limits are the DMs imagination. You could play literally any setting with it.

We're currently playing as a planetary defense force in a 40K setting; an ex-guardsmen with a heavy stubber, an inspector with a sniper rifle (and a shit ton of warp-taint), a sanctioned psyker and a chaplain.

Its going pretty well considering the planet we're on is in the throes of pre-tyranid invasion bullshit - cults popping up and vegetation growing like crazy clogging up the roads. We dealt with a few cults, killed a few genestealers and now shit's getting pretty weird with demons popping out of the warp (bloodletter nearly tore its way into our Boar APC) and now we've been sent in to find out what happened to a town covered in a dense green fog. Turns out the local population were infected and turned into plague bearers (we were almost turned ourselves - saved by our chaplain/apothecary). Now we're deep beneath the villages church in a briar maze and only just scraping by...
>>
>>53778818
1: these threads are retarded. we get it, you don't like DnD for whatever reason and you feel enlightened by your own intelligence for not ingesting such trivial slop like the rest of the uneducated masses.

2: (if you must have an answer) its what my friends play because they are new to tabletop and a guy in my old TT group died so we stopped meeting for whatever reason.
New people are work friends and I taught them battletech and time of war to play and they hated it so it was a colossal waste of my time.

I've always wanted to try Eclipse phase but I have no one to play with and ill be fucked if I learn EP, teach them, and set up something just for them to say "lol no back to 5e garbage"
>>
Remember, "Fun" is just a buzzword.
>>
>>53779161
just because someone thinks something isn't ideal doesn't mean they are dreading their existence while playing it.
>>
>>53779995
You take that with cream and sugar, princess?
>>
>>53780143
Why would you play something if you don't like it though? At least with shit video games or movies or whatever you can gather your friends around and laugh at how bad it is together.
>>
>>53780145
>drinking an espresso with sugar and cream
get out
>>
File: 1491500322774.png (23KB, 231x231px) Image search: [Google]
1491500322774.png
23KB, 231x231px
>>53779385
>>
>>53780186
because you aren't operating on a spectrum.

something can be not good and not be THE WORST FUCKING THING I CAN ONLY LAUGH AT IT

if something is sub par you can still enjoy it is you have good people to make it more than what it is fundamentally

I find it embarrassing that I have to explain this to you.

maybe you are operating on a spectrum after all
>>
>>53780240
So you basically sit down and waste your time building characters in a shitty game rather than playing a game that you actually like where the fun is occurring BECAUSE of the system, rather than in spite of it?

Why not just play F.A.T.A.L. if you're that much of a masochist?
>>
>>53780193
No.
>>
>>53780186
Why people drive Fiats when they could all drive Lamborghinis ?
>>
>>53778818
B/X has aged like a fine wine.
>>
>>53780302
well, if you read the thread, then you will see people not really having much of an option to play another game due to lack of players to unwillingness to play with randoms.

>waste your time
dnd isn't good but its not 100% garbage so its not a slog to play for me. I also just tend to complain less than other people on this site.

Also if i'm enjoying myself how is it any more of a waste of time than sitting down and playing pretend to begin with?

Do I get a prize if I play anon's verified list of big boy tabletop rpgs?
>>
>>53780053
>You could play literally any setting with it.
No. D&D only works for its own brand of high magic high fantasy with grid combat. It does not function at all for any other genre without homebrewing so heavy that it would easily be less of a hassle to simply pick up a system that's actually designed to be universal or one specifically tailored to the type of game you're trying to run.
>>
>>53780131
>Buzzword
"a word or phrase, often an item of jargon, that is fashionable at a particular time or in a particular context."

>Fun
First Known Use: 1727

Almost 300 years is a pretty long time for buzzword anon. Every word in the English language would probably be a buzzword by that definition.
>>
>>53780240
>if something is sub par you can still enjoy it is you have good people
When something is only mediocre, me and my friends throw it out the window so we never have to see the eyesore ever again.
>>
>>53780375
Oh, don't worry, we're talking about 3.PF and 5e here. That's what people always mean when they do these D&D hate threads.

You'll be better off hiding the thread and skipping back to /osrg/ for another game of an actually fun system.
>>
>>53780466
>It does not function at all for any other genre without homebrewing so heavy that it would easily be less of a hassle to simply pick up a system that's actually designed to be universal or one specifically tailored to the type of game you're trying to run.
No. If you know a system, its incredibly easy to use homebrew additions to change the setting.

Hence why we're running a 40K setting with 3.5e. All we needed was the stats for guns and armor and we're good to go. Our DM almost always does custom creatures and settings anyway, so its not really that much out of the ordinary from our regular D&D campaigns.

Like any system you can use the basics and create any setting with some imagination. D&D already has projectile weapons and already has armor, its not much of a jump to make both more powerful.
>>
>>53779519
>Fuck no.
Oh, I see. You're stupid and you hate DnD because it's too complicated for you.
>>
>>53779519
>fuck no

how in gods name can you seriously have issues understanding dnd rules?
>>
>>53778818
I'll stop playing DnD when I stop having fun, Anon.
>>
>>53780600
You're not actually having fun. You just think you are.
>>
>>53780610
>I know better than YOU what's on YOUR mind!
>>
>>53780646
Yes, that's exactly right. I'm glad we see things the same way.
>>
File: 1494773943-20170514after (1).png (30KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
1494773943-20170514after (1).png
30KB, 360x360px
>>53780610
>>
>>53780600
The only people who think they have fun playing D&D are people who haven't tried any other systems.
>>
File: Steven_Armstrong.jpg (48KB, 865x760px) Image search: [Google]
Steven_Armstrong.jpg
48KB, 865x760px
>>53778818
AD&D is fun, simple as that.

Also, wizards have to get their spells by studying magic and copying inscriptions into a book, and Clerics can go full on Old Testament and reverse their spells.
>>
>>53780679
Why can't I have fun playing D&D and having fun playing another system?
>>
>>53778818
I bet you're one of the people who got lots of stuff banned from /tg/ because it wasn't fun you liked.
>>
>>53780679
Well, I've tried several other systems, even liked a lot of them, yet we still play D&D and have fun with it.

How's that, anon?
>>
>>53780725
There's still lots of things that needs to get banned.
>>
>>53778818
I play OSR for the old editions, but nothing beats 4e at its game.
>>
>>53778818
Nobody had told me about burning wheel yet!
>>
>>53780767
>How's that, anon?
Because you're a liar.
>>
>>53780835
Mmhm, or maybe I'm just not autistic or a troll.
>>
Okay fags, sell me on a system where I could have fantasy DnDlike adventures with either: a huge number of options that don't actually suck or straightforward rules that don't make it bland.
Preferably without the stupid 5e background features that force you to integrate advantages through a character's backstory that people seem to add to every modern RPG.
>>
>>53780550
I've played systems far more complicated than D&D. I have never played a published system that was as inconsistent and janky as D&D is.

>>53780558
See above for an explanation for why the only people who understand D&D rules are fat neckbeards with nothing better to do than collect dice.
>>
File: 9395928.gif (805KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
9395928.gif
805KB, 320x240px
>>53780852
>I'm just not autistic
>>
>>53779041
except i am enjoying my game
>>
>>53778818
Let's just bump so everyone can know how a fagget op looks like.
>>
>>53780884
>give me an RPG!
>but none of that story shit, my adventurers hatch fully formed from eggs
>>
>>53778818
I like goofy dungeoncrawls that don't require a massive amount of investment into my or the DM's unwritten novel.
>>
>>53781034
D&D instead requires a massive investment into several rules books and stat blocks in addition to the DM's unwritten novel.
>>
>>53781067
which edition? you can run a game with just the PHB and monster manual, DMG is more advice on DMing as well as a bunch of useful tables, and rules for homebrewing. this is true for most editions. not to mention PDFs are so so easy to find for free. literally every DnD player i've played with has most of the PDFs just on their phones if not on their laptops.
>>
File: teutonic_knight_fuck4.jpg (64KB, 666x973px) Image search: [Google]
teutonic_knight_fuck4.jpg
64KB, 666x973px
All right, OP, answer me this: what did D&D do to hurt you?

I'm all for finding a game that suits you and your group better than D&D ever did - congratulations. But that doesn't excuse making these shit threads every day, spending so much of your precious time arguing with other faceless folks on the Internet when you could instead do anything else fun.

Obviously you've got something personal against D&D. Tell me what it is. Let me help you.
>>
>>53778818
I stopped playing D&D last year. If I ever got invited to a game I'd probably say yes, like if someone invited me to play Monopoly, but I wouldn't run a D&D game anymore. Except maybe 3e Testament, because it's kinda cool, but even then I can just take the setting and play on another system I prefer.
>>
File: AncalagonLarge.jpg (169KB, 1280x881px) Image search: [Google]
AncalagonLarge.jpg
169KB, 1280x881px
>>53781151
There's really four main reasons D&D sucks.

>1. Power level

It would make a lot of sense for a system define a certain power level and stick to it throughout the game. In D&D it’s impossible, because if you want to improve your character in any way, you get a damn package of abilities with every level. The guard dogs you feared in the beginning of the game will be helpless pups after a couple of “adventures”.
>>
File: dragon-fafnir_final.jpg (98KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
dragon-fafnir_final.jpg
98KB, 1024x640px
>>53781663
>2. Restrictiveness

Rather than make the character you want, you have to mix and match options to get the closest idea you were striving for. If you want to be a proficient brawler, you have to take a level in a certain class (monk). The character progression is pre-set — why did my back-street brawler suddenly become immune to all diseases (monk class ability)? And why can my witchdoctor take animal forms now (druid class ability)? You can pay an instructor to take riding lessons, but then you can't increase the Riding skill until you gain a level (which can take months in-game, or more, if you’re higher level). You cannot make up your own spells. Many character concepts are banned at starting levels (this is especially true with magic-users). And no, you cannot be a good singer because you chose the Fighter class.
>>
File: GLAURUNG.jpg (39KB, 638x1015px) Image search: [Google]
GLAURUNG.jpg
39KB, 638x1015px
>>53781676
>3. Mystery killing

How many times have you seen, or thought yourself: “The guy touched my sword. The blade rusted and crumbled to pieces. This must be the Rusting Grasp spell (obvious, right?), which means that we’re dealing with at least 7th level druid. His Wisdom must be at least 14 to cast that spell, so, his Will save bonus is +7 or greater. He also has a good Fort save, so we better use some spell against him that requires Reflex, which is probably his worst. We gotta keep him away from the bushes too, as he’s got no movement penalties there and he can Entangle us if we follow. He also leaves no tracks behind. Druids also have animal companions, so we better be ready for surprise, and if he starts to lose, he’s got an ability to turn into eagle and fly away. Better watch out for that one, as we need information for him.”

Okay, I must state I don’t do this on purpose, but this kind of information just comes to me during the play. In essence, one tiny detail tells me VAST knowledge about the character we’re dealing with. No mystery at all — I know pretty well of what the character is capable of. And if GM modifies things that it isn’t as I think, this is to possibly cause scorned reaction from players: “Hey, why didn’t you tell you allowed such class? I would have really liked to play such a character,” etc.
>>
>>53781663
>just like 95% of the other games out there
>>
>>53781681
>4. Logic holes/silliness

Weapons have damage caps. Roll 1d4 point of damage for hit using a hand crossbow. WTF!? Any crossbow should be a dangerous weapon, and this four damage doesn’t even account for a scratch on most non-starting characters.

Okay, while never mentioned in the books, I can understand that Hit Points are meant to represent also stamina and dodging, not just taking wounds. However, this makes an arrow just as easy to avoid as a punch. Although using this representations is better than having barbarians running around with a dozen of arrows in their chest, it’s still silly. But hey, that’s what D&D is — silly. A friend of mine explained me once how he can make a character who dishes out 1d6+4 damage with a random twig picked up from the forest (don’t remember the mechanics, sorry, but it didn’t require exceptional Strength). It is also amusing that a single shuriken can CONSTANTLY make just as much damage as an average "longsword" (1 damage + 1 point blank shot + 2 weapon specialization = 4 automatic damage). Have fun combining it with the Flurry of Blows and you get a character whose biggest problem is that he cannot physically carry enough shurikens… They just run out before the combat ends. =D

Also, have you ever-ever seen any PC take cover in D&D against a single archer? Their defence trait vs. bullets/arrows is the same as in melée, so it would be stupid to take cover, as there’s no additional danger in charging ahead to hack the archer down. (Some firearms-based settings have upped the base damage of ranged weaponry to address this issue, but it’s not evident in D&D.)
>>
>>53781676

>which of course NEVER happens in any other game system.
>Except like all of them.
>>
File: 1497163779445.jpg (31KB, 329x475px) Image search: [Google]
1497163779445.jpg
31KB, 329x475px
>>53778818

We have full time jobs and no patience to learn new rules
>>
>>53781681
>GM's can't refluff shit to put the mystery back in
>it's toooooo haaaaaarrrrrddddd
>>
>>53781703
This chapter also covers the impact of a the d20 roll has on a skill/ability checks. In case of the latter, your characters capabilities make up a miniscule part in the final result. Yes, this means that people with no training can outshine professionals time-to-time, and that arms wrestling contests between Strength 8 and 18 characters are mainly resolved with luck.

And as someone has very wisely said — though the skill ranks certainly help to succeed in tasks, they have more to do with qualifying for a prestige class.

There are more and more detailed issues on it, but they tend to fall into the four categories presented above.
>>
>>53781703
>again, this never happens in any system but D&D
>not every single system that has any measure of life points
>like, all of them
>>
>>53781663
>>53781676
>>53781681
>>53781703
I didn't ask WHY D&D sucks - we all know why.

I asked what D&D did to personally wound you enough to start a fucking crusade against it on an anonymous imageboard.
>>
>>53781720
>skills are perfect in all other systems, you can take my celarly unbiased and perfectly objective word for it
>trust me
>I wouldn't exaggerate, lie or falsify my findings
>really
>promise
>>
>>53781692
This might just be from my experience, but I think it's something that comes from systems with distinct levels. When running D&D my players would normally be concerned with what their next levels will be like, so they can unlock certain abilities.

In other games, like Dark Heresy or FFG Star Wars they have a different attachment to their characters that goes beyond "wanting to reach level 10", and progression is a bit less structured. But like I said before, this is completely personal.
>>
>>53781754
Your question wasn't directed at me. I can't answer for OP's issues.
>>
>>53781824
Then why'd you quote the post where I asked, only to say something entirely different?
>>
>>53781867
Because your question, when read literally is completely retarded. I assumed you weren't and merely used hyperbole as a rethorical tool when asking why D&D is bad.
>>
>>53780320
Because Lambo's are expensive while tabletop RPGs can be downloaded for free.

Fucking moron.
>>
>>53781734
>this never happens in any system but D&D
Exactly.

HP bloat is only really an issue in D&D because the damage that you deal doesn't properly stack against the amount of HP that you're expected to receive thanks to your CON score.

Like I could be a Barbarian with over 50 HP by level 3, yet still only be dealing 1d10+STR and score one, maybe two, reliable hits per round if I'm lucky.
>>
>>53781692
Not at all. Only games with level systems suffer from this, and D&D is like the only one of any relevance that still has it.

>>53781704
It's an issue with D&D far more than any others I've played.

>>53781719
I don't even know what you're trying to say now.

>>53781734
Only systems with hot points has this issue, and that's not "like all of them". Not to mention that the issue is even worse in D&D thanks to it being combined with the leveling system.

>>53781769
Being good at a skill actually means something in other systems. In D&D it all comes down to a single dice.
>>
>>53779315
I could probably play something other than DnD, but to what end? The rules are functional enough, and my group all know the rules. Sure, there's other systems that would be neat to give a try, but I'm enjoying the game I have right now.

It's what our DM wants to play, and I enjoy playing with our DM, so I see no reason to swap.
>>
>>53778818
I think it's fun. Apparently that bothers you. Maybe you should try just having more fun.
>>
>>53782954
>It's what our DM wants to play
Your DM is a monster.
>>
>>53783032
>wants an explanation
>insults the explanation
that's why people were arguing about girl dick, OP.

Nobody wanted your garbage bait.
>>
>>53783127
OP clearly left a long time ago. That isn't him.
>>
>>53783764
Well his arguments certainly are just as compelling and profound.
>>
>>53778818
I myself dislike DnD, but threads like this I fucking hate.

If you have to reply, sage.
>>
>>53779819

Okay, I *am* the soapbox anon, and this I've got to hear.

I could use a good laugh today.
>>
>>53782792
You mean a barbarian who got max results on his HD 3 times and has 20 con?
>>
>>53778818
OP - your Grandmother called. She wants her meme back...
>>
>>53784135
Listen, you can try and excuse it all you like but the fact of the matter is that in modern D&D, dealing direct damage is the most inefficient way of dealing with enemies, especially when casters can pop a spell and go "you lose" or "you die" in a fraction of the time without even rolling.

Nobody like dealing with damage sponge enemies, especially when the damage is less than a fraction of your total HP, so combat generally boils down to "I (full) attack" in a mad dash to kill the enemy before they kill you or until one side uses a SoL/SoD spell to end combat by turn 3.
>>
>>53783885
>sage
Why not tell them actual advice faggot? Like, I dunno, using the goddamned filters?
>>
>>53784313
>Why not tell them actual advice
Who?

Who in this thread needs advice? Should we tell OP why we still play D&D, as if he didn't know already? Should we tell those that play D&D why their system sucks, as if they weren't already aware of its failings? Or should we tell OP how to troll better, as if they'd ever listen?

No. There is no purpose for this thread.

sage
>>
>>53784380
You're actually retarded. He said that rather than telling people to sage the thread you should tell them to use filters.
>>
>>53784380
>Who?
The idiots ITT who think that sage actually did anything worth mentioning rather than using the filters to remove bait threads like this from their catalog since they obviously can't be trusted to just ignore shit on their own.

Also; Counter-Sage!
>>
>>53778818
I don't. DnD is garbage but because it was the first RPG for so many people they've grown irrationally attached to it. I guarantee every single group that plays DnD would have more fun with a different system, but they probably think learning something else is too much effort because their only reference point is the pointlessly bloated and complex clusterfuck of rules they're already playing. Also, again because they only have one point of reference, they assume DnD's problems are inherent to all RPGs. It's sad.
>>
>>53778818
Because its fun.
>>
>>53784521
It's like watching a battered house wife trying to excuse her black eye to the neighbors, you know that she'd be happier with someone else but they're so used to being abused that genuine love and affection becomes alien to their psyche and they have no idea how to process it.

I mean fuck, even /pfg/ has enough self-awareness to acknowledge the system's shortcomings, so I'm unsure if the hardcore 3aboos are trolls false-flagging or a breed of autist that somehow makes those kitsune yiffers actually appear normal by comparison.
>>
The turn system in dungeon exploration interacts very well with the rest of the rules(torches, actions, mapping, random encounters) to have a strong resource management and time management style gameplay.
It's not as autistically complex as most other games with heavy resource management gameplay.
The subsystems aren't running on a unified mechanic and math wise, don't affect each other much. So it's easy to swap rules out without the game breaking down.
>>
>>53784728
>even /pfg/ has enough self-awareness to acknowledge the system's shortcomings
Then why do they keep playing it?

And by extension, wouldn't that mean it would be possible for you to acknowledge D&D's shortcomings, even play other games from time to time, yet still play the game?

Does it make you feel better to hate D&D, by pretending everyone that plays the game is completely retarded? It's just tribalism, a worthless "with us or against us" mentality, that we should all get rid of in order to advance as a species. It brings nothing of worth to anyone's lives.
>>
>>53784897

This anon gets it.
>>
I want to play a tabletop role-playing game, which requires multiple players to be interested in playing.
>>
File: 1497328904489.jpg (764KB, 1294x1560px) Image search: [Google]
1497328904489.jpg
764KB, 1294x1560px
I don't see a big enough difference between AD&D and other fantasy rpgs to switch to something else.
AD&D is simple enough for a group of people to pick up and play with very little learning curve and has an absolute ton of pre-made optional stuff.
I don't even know where the 'it isn't good for roleplaying' complaint comes from since it has never been a problem for our group.
>>
>>53778818
Because fuck you, I do what I want.
Sage for shitty bait thread.
>>
>>53779158
Gotta get them (You)'s somehow.
>>
File: leninsad.jpg (11KB, 250x267px) Image search: [Google]
leninsad.jpg
11KB, 250x267px
>>53785435
>screeching meme goblin and lolrandom loli birthing a little gay boy
>>
>>53785026
>Then why do they keep playing it?
Because they a) already know the rules and b) PF already caters to weebs, furries, SJW's, and munchkins.

To say nothing on the fact that 3.PF is the only system they know of that allows them to break the system by design.
>>
>>53785521
C-C-C-Counter-Sage :^)

If you want to actually stop being a faggot about it, just use the filter, then you'll never see these threads ever again. Also, if you press shift before clicking on a thread, it auto-hides it for you as well.

The moar you know.
>>
>>53779730
Is it too early for margaritas? I got chips and salsa!
>>
>>53779730
>>53786437
We can put on Smash Mouth and watch the raging (homosexual) bonfire!
>>
>>53779112
It's weird, 3.PF is the only straight trash edition.

Pre-WotC D&D is petty good, barring a few oddities that can be chalked down as them still working things out of a relatively new thing.

4e ous great for heroic fantasy and carved out a niche for tself that i haven't really found another game that does quite the same. It's also the most DM friendly edition to date.

5e is inoffensive and bland, but functional enough.

3.PF is the odd of out here despite being the most talked about.
>>
>>53779158
Alas, this is what /qst/ had turned this board into.
>>
>>53786643
And of course, 3.PF is the system that's automatically assumed for anti-D&D shitposting because otherwise the arguments would fall apart.
>>
>>53786702
Shut up.
>>
>>53786643
4chan always gives undue attention to trash, whether it's 3.PF, Ubisoft, DCEU, or the Powerpuff Girls remake.

It's because there's only so many ways you can say "I like this cool thing" but an undeniably shit thing is a goldmine of (you)'s, either because people falseflag to get attention from people who hate the thing or because they draw attention to how bad it is just to piss off the fanboys who cannot help but defend it.

It's generally why if a thing gets a shitload of threads in the catalog, it's because it's either new or because it's really fucking terrible.
>>
File: alternityphbgmg.jpg (58KB, 532x350px) Image search: [Google]
alternityphbgmg.jpg
58KB, 532x350px
>>53778818
I currently have zero games underway that aren't using Alternity. Get on my level.
>>
>>53786759
And here's the antiquester brigade to start another fight in a thread that had nothing to do with quests.
>>
>>53786643
3.PF is by far the most commonly played edition. If someone says D&D without specifying an edition there's a good chance that's what they mean.
>>
>>53786832
Pretty sure 5e is the most commonly played edition these dys.
>>
File: heres your (you).jpg (239KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
heres your (you).jpg
239KB, 500x750px
>>53781663
>>53781676
>>53781681
>>53781703
>>
>>53786872
It is, but it's so bland and safe that it doesn't really do anything that's worth talking about for (you)'s.

I mean, it's almost worse than being hated in a way.
>>
>>53786967
>Opinions I don't agree with is shitposting.
>>
>>53786872
I don't believe it. Muh anecdotal evidence, but I know 20-odd people who play 3.PF and 0 who play 5e.
>>
>>53778818
I'm having fun.
>>
>>53786702
>Implying quests would have stopped this faggot from posting this retarded thread

Shitposters will shitpost. Just now we don't have to see "Mahou Waifu Pantsu Harem Quest Part MCCXXVII - Hot Springsu Madnessu part 2 - In which we peep at Mina's pantsu."
>>
>>53778824
FPBP

We can have fun however we want, and OP can do the same.
>>
File: 1434389359737.jpg (59KB, 609x500px) Image search: [Google]
1434389359737.jpg
59KB, 609x500px
>>53786872
GITP, Myth-Weavers, most game-finder threads, and Roll20 would disagree with you.

I mean, I WISH you were right, because bland-edition is a big step up from trash-edition... but yeah.
>>
Dungeons and Dragons is the RPG equivalent of McDonalds, been around for ages, and you pretty much know what you are going to get, no matter where you go. Sure there may be cultural differences in various areas, but an elf is still an elf, and a fighter is still a fighter, and you still kill monsters for XP and stuff.
>>
>>53788609
Bland edition isn't a step up from the 3.5 played in places like GITP, though. I mean, if my choice is between 5E and 3.5 with Binders and Totemists and PsyWars and PsyRogues and Tashalatora Monks and ToB, I'd never pick 5E. Never.
>>
>>53778858
make me
>>
>>53781663
>>53781676
>>53781681
>>53781703
>D&D is 3.x pathfinder shit

And I say unto thee, reject thy false idols, seek the OSR, and discover the true nature of D&D
>>
File: Yui10.jpg (198KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Yui10.jpg
198KB, 600x600px
Fun things are fun.
>>
>>53778818

I'm not, I'm playing Pathfinder.
>>
>>53779995
Alright, here ya go (Coffee making noises)
>>
>>53788609
>people who are too autistic to find a game IRL play 3.PF

really makes you think...

Pretty sure roll20 statistics say 5e is still more popular.
>>
after watching Critical Role I got into D&D so 5e is the only thing I know so it's great :^)
>>
File: Because Fun.gif (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Because Fun.gif
2MB, 640x360px
>>53778818
>>
>>53779819
>It's not my job to educate you!
>>
File: 1491011788971.jpg (710KB, 801x801px) Image search: [Google]
1491011788971.jpg
710KB, 801x801px
This bait thread is still going? Have some cute orc girls to calm your tits.
>>
>>53779201
I can't tell if this is for real or a troll post anymore.
Fuck this world.
>>
>>53780887
>>53780558
>>53780550
Not him, but:
The problem with the rules is not that they're especially complicated. It's that they're arbitary, not grounded in reality (yes, it may be a fantasy game, however they created the game to be 'balanced' instead of making sense), and they leave too many blank spaces.

I love how those that defend D&D always assume those that bash it have never played it when 95% of RPG players fucking started with it.
>>
>>53778818
It's the singular best game ever conceived by mortal man, her creators having now ascended unto high and whose worship gives them power.
>>
File: worst thread on tg.jpg (95KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
worst thread on tg.jpg
95KB, 350x350px
>>
>Wake up to find the thread STILL going
Explain yourselves.

>>53795940
Gobbet was the best girl and I wish the game had allowed me to romance her. Seriously, you have all the bland Viconias and Wrexes and whatever bland shits Dragon Age games have, then someone with actual personality and charm comes along, but nooo, you can't pork the orc... despicable.
>>
5ed is easy, straightforward, fast and balanced

there is nothing better to introduce new people to trpgs
>>
>>53778900
This. There are no centters of interest for tabletop players in my town, all my friends live in different parts of the country, we play over discord and the only fantasy game they know is (unfortunately) Dungeons & Dragons. I've tried to get them to check out more niche systems, but none of them showed interest, especially if I won't be the one running. (I currently DM a campaign for them, but I want to get to play a new system at least once before I'm forced to GM it, for christ's sake!) Also, I wouldn't be opposed to trying to meet people for a nee group at a local games store, if there was one where I live, but as previously mentioned there isn't, and I don't fancy wading through the cesspit of randos that is meeting people on roll20 until I find someone tolerable.
>>
>>53797199
Really now, it's just common courtesy that if you want to introduce a new system to your group you GM it, rather than demand that someone else GMs the system that you want to play.
>>
>>53778900
This fucking attitude enables That Guys the world over. Have some standards and stop tolerating shit.
>>
>>53786702
Well, we warned them what giving in to the shitposters would do.
Not our fault if they ignored the cassandra.
>>
>>53786967
So since it's a thought out argument that you disagree with but have no response to you'll just call it "advanced shitposting" and pretend you never read it.
>>
>>53797199
Learning a new system is often more effort than it is worth, you really need to sell people on it if you want them to play.
Never demand that they read the book fully because it really makes them lose interest.
>>
>>53798822
Man, what the fuck is wrong with modern gamers.
Back in my day, we fucking CONSUMED books because they were fucking interesting.

Monstrous manuals and shadowrun splatbooks especially. Though, that second one was hard to acquire.
>>
>>53798850
Because we aren't NEETs and would rather use our free time actually playing than reading new rules we might even discard?
>>
>>53798916
Reading books is fun, takes hardly any time at all, and allows you to actually play the games.
If you are interested in tabletop, it's fucking shameful that you don't read the books, and double shameful if you think you need to be a NEET to read the books.
>>
>>53798850
It's because modern gamers can't actually read.
They are the group of people in high school that need to sound out basic words like "cat" and "government".
>>
>>53798941
Especially now since piracy of pdfs is so easy. Back in the 80s and 90s we had to actually buy everything.
>>
>>53798916
Are you implying that people with a job don't have time to read you nigger ?
>>
>>53798965
Man, I prefer the old books, but I just can't argue with the efficiency and convenience of PDF.
>>
Im so tired of seeing these threads. People are playing DnD because it is the most popular tabletop game, and the only tabletop that most people even know exist. No one is interested in playing "indi furry simulator v2.0", or any of the other "superior" tabletops that are so often recommended.
>>
>>53798991
My nigga, I love having the book physically, even if I know I have the pdf somewhere.
>>
>>53799016
You really need to become more well read.
>>
>>53799026
It's a shame I just can't justify the paper book industry existing on that.

Maybe if we were a space bourne race with multiple worlds of resources.
>>
>>53798941
It wastes a lot of time reading, learning any RAW vs RAI issues that all systems have, sorting those out, porting a campaign or making a new one from scratch all for a system we may or may not like over DnD or we can just hop and play it, which is way more convenient and doesn't consist of one player trying to force his tastes on others
>>
>>53799192
>it wastes a lot of time
No it doesn't.
Are you one of these?
>>53798955
I can't take the rest of your post seriously now since you led with that.
>>
>>53799188
It's mostly recycled paper. In the first world nowadays most of the cardboard and paper are recycled.
>>
>>53799218
Don't get me started on how shitty and energy inefficient our systems of recycling are.
>>
>>53786784
>Awww man, I sure do miss QUESTS! Don't you miss QUESTS too? Boy howdy, if only QUESTS were around there wouldn't be a bad thread ever.
>Dude, shut up about quests.
>OH WOW here come the trolls to ruin the thread with their QUEST talk golly gee how about you stop making everything about QUESTS WOW!

Fuck right off a cliff with that shit. You know what you did.
>>
>>53799233
Please do, I am extremely bored at work.
>>
>>53799257
>get mad about a guy saying you start fights
>proceed to start a fight
>>
>>53799265
Well, this is all unsourced because I'm not making my thesis here, but it costs as much or more in money and energy to recycle paper than it does just to grow new paper.
Which itself costs exponentially more over time than just getting PDFs.
>>
>>53799289
I get you but how come ?
>>
>>53799275
This is literally a case of you starting it.
>>
>>53799313
Because political factors make SAYING "we are recycling!" more important than actually saving money, energy, and time.
>>
>>53799210
>needs to call someone illiterate to defend system swapping
It is more time wasted and effort than it is worth, why do you think even in the past people weren't willing to swap?
It is already there, everyone in the group knows how to play it, everyone has homebrews or houserules they agree to use and so on. Nobody wants to get rid of all that and start again with only a promise that it might be better.
>>
>>53799318
Anon, you literally responded to some guy's post 18 hours ago in order to try to start a fight.

You are literally necro-arguing.
>>
>>53799324
No but I mean, what about the recycling process itself make it worse than actually crushing wood to make paper ?
>>
>>53799336
You sort of need to be more well read if your idea of other games is "duhhhh, furries". It makes you look really, really dumb.
I am saying this as honestly, kindly, and delicately as I possibly can.
>>
>>53799347
You effectively double the transit-related costs of the product, since it has to go two ways instead of one way. It is extremely hard to make a recycling system efficient enough to justify using our shitty vehicles for.
Transit is one of our largest energy sinks as a society.
>>
>>53799338
Wasn't trying to start a fight. Just pointing out how stupid his fucking logic was.
>>
>>53799367
You need more presence of mind, then.
Necro-ing dead arguments is a great way to get people to think you are trying to start fights.
>>
>>53799354
Why are you even bringing furries in this argument?
>>
>>53799388
'cause of this guy
>>53799016
>>
>>53799404
He wasn't even part of the reply chain.
>>
>>53799438
But he DID kick it off something fierce. If you want to stay on the reply chain for some reason, then the "reading doesn't take a lot of time, you mongoloid" argument still holds up really well.
>>
>>53799365
Well it would make sense if the garbage truck had to do double routes for that but in my city they just empty the recycling containers every other day.

Trough there's probably other costs I'm not seeing, like sorting the recycled waste
>>
>>53779120
Go back to /pol/ & cry about cuck carts.

Alternatively, grow up summerfag
>>
>>53799464
Sorting is another big one, yeah.
I can't remember most of them because my school days were OVER a decade ago, but there were all sorts of costs and problems with recycling that just don't come up with just making paper. Which is still really bad.
>>
>>53799460
>>53799404
>>53799388
>>53799354
What's worse is that RPG books are picture books, in the most literal of senses.
They have a little reading, earmarked with space-filling tables and pictures.
>>
>>53780468
You misunderstood their sarcasm, friend. Many proponents of "better" systems look down at us who have fun with "inferior" systems, because they don't acknowledge that a game being fun is enough reason to play it.
>>
File: 1485490137140.jpg (49KB, 564x470px) Image search: [Google]
1485490137140.jpg
49KB, 564x470px
>>53799473
>Replies to a post over 24 hours old due to butthurt
>Tells others to grow up
>>
>>53799477
Well the alternative would be burning old paper anyway.

the experiment I was working on failed hard, rip
>>
>>53799584
Honestly, just leaving it in a big mound to eventually turn into usable soil would be a fair idea.

Depending on how much fucking poison is in the books. How well the ink decays. Stuff like that.
>>
>>53799460
But that's not all you have to do, as I keep listing, reading the new rules has a lot if implications and other things you need to do, when you could just be playing a system you already know. The benefits of migrating to another system are small enough that it's not worth learning it and moving over, it's natural players wouldn't show any interest.
>>
>>53799600
Well magazines advertisements and hardcover books wouldn't really go well there, but soil worms apparently love paper and cardboard.
>>
>>53799610
Of course reading rules has implications. That is what being more well read does. It gives you a greater scope of knowledge to draw from. That is easily half of why people read things.

And, like I said, I couldn't take the rest of your post seriously after the "reading takes too long" bit. Even now, you are talking about how the benefits of learning a system don't outweigh the costs, which are minor to negligible and have a wealth of amazing effects.
Like letting you play fucking shadowrun. That was time well goddamn invested.
>>
>>53799565
You having fun with inferior system speaks more about the quality of the group more than the quality of the system.
>>
>>53799653
That is worth it only if: we all are interested in shadowrun, we prefer its rules and setting over DnD and after actually playing it we decide we like it and if a significant part of the group isn't fond of the game, we wasted time reading, creating characters campaigns and even houseruling to fix things we dislike for no reason at all. Things we have already done with DnD and would rather not do again when we could just be playing it.
This is specually true since what is a niche of a system and what it claims to do well are usually vastly different, Shadowrun isn't even a similar setting to DnD's fantasy for example, which makes going through dozens of different rulebooks of different just to find one that actually suits you and hope it suits the group as well, when you could just be playing.
>>
>>53799879
>only worth it if we prefer it over that
So, in your mind, you only like one thing and no other things, EVER? And you only have one playgroup, and no other playgroups EVER? And that your group never tries new things EVER?

Because the logical underpinnings of your argument are as such that these ridiculous hyperbolic exaggerations of humanity have to be true.
>>
>>53799666
Thank you for proving my point.
>>
>>53799879
In the time you have been arguing this, you could have read a whole core book of a new system.
>>
>>53799932
If the table reacted to the game with "we could be playing DnD" then why bother? It's not hyperbolic, if you don't play online, you'll have one, two groups at best, unless you play with randos, which is a problem by itself.
If the group happens to not like certain new things enough to swap, then you don't swap. Since there's no way to know if you'll all end up liking a new system, given how oversaturated the market is today, it's more likely that you'll go through many bad systems before finding one most of the group wants to play.

>>53799980
Yes, but I wouldn't have settled down on how to actually play and what to add/remove from the system, something we'd need to keep discussing.
>>
>>53800135
That is actually pretty fucking hyperbolic.
I am having trouble believing you are a real human at this point, given how long you claim reading takes and how busy you claim to be while also spending this much time talking on 4chan.
>>
>>53800174
hahahaha gotcha :^)
>>
>>53800174
I'm able to check every few minutes, only I technically should be busy, today is not an usual day.
I could be reading a core book, but I could just as well be developing areas for a campaign.
>>
>>53800411
Given your line of argument, it would be equally pointless, as you will not run through all your campaign ideas with your group 100% for sure.
>>
>>53800479
We're already used to this system, so we actually would and are used to not fucking it up.
>>
>>53800496
Nah, given the time to make content and the time to blow through content, if you are using it effectively and are not having nightly game sessions, you will inevitably produce far more content than you could ever run through in a human's lifetime.
>>
>>53800532
We have sessions every other day, it is more than enough.
>>
>>53800582
You are doing something unusually, anon.
Be it playing too fast or making content too slow or not using the content completely, the math doesn't add up.
>>
>>53778818
It's fun.
>>
When bringing new people into the hobby, it's great because it's super easy to find resources for free and the name recognition makes new players more comfortable.
>>
>>53800619
>>53800582
It doesn't help matter that we haven't gotten over the baseline "What kind of chode doesn't like reading game books" point.
>>
File: 1496495775226.jpg (26KB, 308x326px) Image search: [Google]
1496495775226.jpg
26KB, 308x326px
>>53778818
I don't. I use GURPS. It ain't perfect but it cover my needs.
Obvious bait it's obvious.
>>
>>53799501
Not only that, you don't even need to read the full rulebook to get a gist of the system. Just look at the character sheet to see what elements are most important and look at the chapters on character creation and playing the game. When you actually settle down to start a campaign in that system, that's when you read the rules in full.
>>
>>53799289
That isn't true for paper
>>
>>53781034
So why the fuck do you play D&D.
>>
>>53778818
My friends want to get into RPGs but they only know D&D so I'm starting them off with it before we move onto something better soon
>>
>>53780852
>Plays D&D
>Not autistic

Fuck off, you worthless subhuman maggot. This website is for humans and you should kill yourself for daring to waste the time of your betters.
>>
I think 5e is 'okay', I prefer 3.5.
>>
File: Stuff.jpg (65KB, 499x384px) Image search: [Google]
Stuff.jpg
65KB, 499x384px
>>53788609
Roll20 strongly disagrees with you.
>>
File: wat-1.jpg (36KB, 884x498px) Image search: [Google]
wat-1.jpg
36KB, 884x498px
>>53802976
>Replies to a post over 24 hours old due to butthurt
>Tells others to fuck off and stop wasting time

Hate to break it to you, anon, but you're the autist in this scenario.
>>
>>53803290
Get in the oven, subhuman.
>>
>>53799939
Your point being? Because "fun" in this context is meaningless as the fun is being derived more from interacting with people that you like, not necessarily the activity that you're indulging in.

You could theorhetically run F.A.T.A.L. and have fun doing it so long as everyone is in on the joke.
>>
>>53805200
Sure, but having a better system to do it in sure can't hurt, can it?
>>
>>53805230
If we're judging it based simply off "fun" then not really, which is why judging a system based off of "fun" is meaningless, because as long as everyone involved is interested in the campaign and is willing to learn the rules, it really doesn't matter what you run.

However, an inferior system will add unnecessary hurdles that can get in the way of your group's enjoyment of the campaign as a whole, whether it's because the rules are too complicated, the rules are too easy to abuse, the combat's stale and uninteresting, or any number of issues.

Then to compound the issue, the GM has to shoulder both the responsibility of running the game and the job of balancing out everything so that everyone's contributing to the session, which can easily lead to early burn out and an unsatisfying campaign, especially if they're dealing with players who have to compunctions about breaking the game to gain an advantage.

So overall, you're just better off using a superior system.
>>
This crappy thread's still better than the /pol/ ones. bump.
>>
>>53808114
Or you could've done even better and made a whole new thread of your own, the sort you'd really love to see on /tg/ instead of merely the lesser of two evils? sage
>>
>>53808155
Counter-Sage for faggotry.

Don't want to see threads that trigger you? Use the filter function!
>>
>>53778818
>STILL explaining yourselves
Play Dungeons and Dragons
>>
>>53779292
lol you run out of doritos fella?
>>
>>53805590
Wrong. You're better off using the system that offers what you subjectively find to be the best combination of:

- Popularity (so as to easily find fellow players)
- Cost (so as to be able to afford the books you want in it)
- Language (so as to easily understand the rules)
- Speed of play (so as to not get bogged down in what you consider unimportant minutiae)
- Randomness (so as to make the game more than just a back-and-forth narrative game of pretend)
- Fun (so as to actually enjoy the gaming experience)

Different people place different emphasis on different parts of these six qualities.
>>
>>53812963
- Popularity is a non-issue assuming that you're playing with friends as opposed to randos.
- Cost is also a non-issue since you can theorhetically download any number of pdf's using a torrent site for free.
- Language would fall into what I already mentioned about an inferior having rules that are a combination of being complicated, boring, and/or easy to abuse.
- Speed of Play is a product of a system having good language.
- Randomness is a non-issue because most tabletop games are random to an extent but even that can be less of an importance if the group is more interested in roleplay than on how actions are resolved.
- Fun is meaningless as a measurement of quality, for much the same reasons as I've already stated.

So out of six qualities, three are non-issues, one quality is the product of another, and the last one has already been explained as not being a proper measurement.
>>
I like to play it :3
>>
I like it.
>>
>Day 3
>Thread still here
Explain yourselves, /tg/.
>>
>>53814913
>posts in the thread
>wonders why it's still around
>>
>>53813833
They are non-issues, to YOU. Not to everyone.
>>
>>53817080
>They are non-issues, to SMART PEOPLE WITH FRIENDS. Not to everyone.
FTFY
>>
File: 1454607119569.jpg (5KB, 234x230px) Image search: [Google]
1454607119569.jpg
5KB, 234x230px
>>53817080
>Gives a shitty list of irrelevant qualities
>Anon points out how shitty the list is
>"B-B-But muh opinion!"
>>
>>53817157
>>53817301
Honestly, the fact that you discounted randomization means that you basically don't get to have any opinions on systems, since you are not using them.

Randomization method is incredibly fucking important to how systems work.
>>
File: the scribe.jpg (68KB, 736x966px) Image search: [Google]
the scribe.jpg
68KB, 736x966px
Seeing as the thread is dying down at last, it's time to ask - did you learn anything from this discussion?

Did you come to realize something on the subject of D&D? Perhaps it's not as bad as you thought it was, or not as good? Perhaps you had the wrong idea on the people still playing it all along? Or maybe everyone else was just wrong and you were right, as you thought it was when you first came in - I mean, it's the OTHER people that're supposed to change their minds about stuff, not you?

How much of a waste of time was this experience for you?
>>
>>53817875
Randomization only matters if you're interacting with the mechanics of the game, not if you're just roleplaying between other members of the party.

I'm sorry you've never had an actually decent campaign but it wouldn't surprise me considering that /tg/ only really talks about games where the RNG is more important than either the roleplay or the skill of the player.
>>
>>53778818
Because I use rule 0 and the games general approachability to cover any gaps other rulebooks redefine whole systems to do.

I also literally play nearly every system on the planet, but that's besides the point.
>>
>>53819129
>RNG only matters when you are talking about the system, which we are
It's not my fault you want to red herring into party discussion when we are talking about systems.
As I said, you don't really get to have a legitimate opinion on systems if you don't use them. Which you admit to.
>>
>>53818796
I gained absolutely nothing from it other than hearing a pompous asshole go on about how the system doesn't matter because he ignores systems.

I play a bunch of systems, D&D included, and if you are actually playing the game, that shit is important.
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.