[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dwarf Fortress game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: Dorfs.png (163KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Dorfs.png
163KB, 1920x1080px
What system would one use to run a game in a dwarf fortress world? How would you style the game and how would one go about running it?
Would it be a functional campaign setting?
>>
File: failing resist persuasion.jpg (222KB, 760x596px) Image search: [Google]
failing resist persuasion.jpg
222KB, 760x596px
>>53778094
>run a game in a dwarf fortress world?

Dwarf Fortress World isn't really anything special except that it very specific rules about where monsters are found. If you want to run a game using those monsters, you could do it anywhere.

Do you mean run a fortress management game? Where the players aren't adventurers but do something else? Several games of the /OSR vein already do that sort of thing once you reach a certain level, adventurers are supposed to settle down and build a fort/tower/temple/thievesguild etc.

Usually the rules aren't terribly fleshed out, so you'd have to do some work on it yourself. The real question is are your players really into 'npc management', 'resource management', 'defense management' and effectively sitting around in one place? It would take a lot more bookkeeping sessions that most game groups are used to and be overall a lot more reactive/passive in nature.
>>
>>53778094
>Would it be a functional campaign setting?

No, but that's rather the point.
>>
>>53778094

"Kingdom"
>>
>>53778094
>Make a world in DF
>make a Fortress
>read legends
>write setting
>run game in violence heavy setting of your preference
>ape dwarf fortress descriptions of items and violence
>model npc and monster behavior off dwarf fortress sprites
>NO PATH NO PATH NO PATH NO PATH
>profit
>>
>>53782507
>violence heavy *system* of your preference
>>
>>53781567
Slavery to Armok: The Dwarf Fortress Dysfunctional Role-Playing Game Campaign Setting
>>
I am in the process of running a game based off of King of Dragon Pass, Dwarf Fortress, Civilization, Stellaris and other 4x games. I'm basing the resource system off of dwarf fortress, while hacking apart pathfinder kingdom rules to make the mid game and use Runequest empires make the late game.
>>
>>53783500
Return to tell us the tale when it's done, Modern Prometheus Anon.
>>
>>53786336
I can't imagine it'll be done anytime soon. In 10 months I'll return for storytime.
>>
>>53786552
Some of us are still waiting for the end of the story of Fort Kenshin.
>>
File: d_F.jpg (119KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
d_F.jpg
119KB, 750x600px
>>53778094
>>
File: sponge man op.png (75KB, 1087x355px) Image search: [Google]
sponge man op.png
75KB, 1087x355px
I'm working on a campaign based on Dwarf Fortress(Adventure Mode) right now. Here is what I'm doing.
○ I'm using GURPS. GURPS has dismemberment and crippling, and really nice unarmed combat. It's not a 1:1 translation from DF's mechanics, but I feel like it strikes the balance between realism and playability. I think trying to make the combat as analogous to DF as possible would be too slow for a tabletop game.
○ The tone on a macroscopic scale is pretty serious, some shit about demons and artifacts. But I'm trying to make it such that your average every-day encounters are weird and funny. I'm going to spend a few hours just walking around and watching conversations between DF NPCs in Adventure Mode to try to get a feel for the really awkward, stilted language. "It was inevitable."
○ Basically what I did was make a world in DF, let it ferment for 1000 years, and then open it in Legends Viewer (the program) and the in-game Legends Mode to make the history of the world. An extra-large map and 1000 years is a lot of material, so in retrospect I would suggest using a smaller map.
○ I drew the map with guidance from "Hand-Drawn Map Tutorial (for the Artistically Challenged) by Gidde", you can get the PDF if you Google it.
○ I'm making pages for regions and historical figures with WikidPad. I like it.
○ Forgotten Beasts and Titans, I just put wherever there should be a boss battle. I'm mostly just taking random ones from Legends and doing my best to make it a monster in GURPS. I'm not focusing too much on the mechanical minutia of the Forgotten Beasts, figured I'll do my best to remember the rules that will apply and make up the rest as I go along.
>>
>>53792410
Sounds good. Are you using advanced hit locations so your players can slice off enemy ears?
do you need more players?
>>
>>53778094
GURPS seems like the obvious choice if you want brutal, gory, oddly-specific combat descriptions.
>>
>>53796166
The oddly specific combat descriptions are great.
>the spear pierces the chainmail arm guard and pierces the upper arm! The brachial artery has been opened by the attack!
That happened in a game I GMed. The party then had to rush back to a hospital to get it fixed before their shieldmaiden bled out.
>>
>>53778094
The key to running a Dwarf Fortress rpg is every player needs to be That Guy.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.