[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Warhammer fantasy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Skaven_Civil_War.png (2MB, 976x884px) Image search: [Google]
Skaven_Civil_War.png
2MB, 976x884px
Tomorrow i'm starting a campaign in Warhammer fantasy with some randoms, but I don't know crap about it and my GM is currently unobtainable- can anyone give me a brief introduction into the universe or link something?
Also cool ideas for WH charactes are welcome
>>
>>53715647
>>
File: WFRP Information Booklet.pdf (210KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
WFRP Information Booklet.pdf
210KB, 1x1px
>>53778027
>1. BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER.
>2. PARTY ON, DUDES. (AND DUDETTES)

>>53777936
Please find attached a copy of a WFRP Introduction Booklet.

Kind regards.
t. Anon.
>>
>>53777936
Well I'm guessing you'll be starting off in the empire. It's basically city states that are all based off European cultures in the approximately 15th to 18th century.

The realms are united by the Emperor Karl Franz who is the ruler of all the empire. You will face threats from orks and beastmen regularly and more sinister creatures such as skaven and chaos agents lurk in the underhives of cities.
>>
>>53777936
Do you happen to know what edition of the game your GM is running?
>>
>>53778282
No clue
>>
>>53778305
>>53778305
Alright, some basic outlines then:

1st and 2nd edition use a percentile system, 3rd edition uses an action dice system.

1st edition tends to be set in a generally crappy setting - not that the setting is bad, but that life is shit for the peasants who live in it, and you are one of those schmucks.

2nd edition takes that and pushes it about 20 years forward, setting it after a massive war that made everything worse. However characters tend to be a bit more heroic in this edition - things tend to be a bit more adventurous. Life is still hell, but you get more chance to play the hero.

3rd edition allows the player to really amp up the heroics and is the closest to DnD in it's treatment of the adventurers.

Another good read, other than the intro booklet is this little gem: >http://www.criticalmiss.com/issue8/jameswallisreplies1.html

It's an old gaming blog response from the guys who worked on the 1st edition, responding to a player bitching about how much shit his character had gotten into.

WFRP as a whole tends to focus on the gritty nature of life in the setting, and the pleasure comes from rising above the challenges of life to make a name for yourself.
>>
>>53778362
Had a good laugh reading the extract- I'll give you that.
Also how does magick work in Warhammer- is it "choose your class and learn from speklbook" kind of system, or does it allow you for some diversity and/or creativity with given elements?
>>
>>53777936
You'll probably be in the Empire. These are the cool/good guys, Humans and Dwarves mostly.

Humans and Dwarves in WHF are mostly similar to your common fantasy Humans and Dwarves, except WHF Dwarves are extremely unforgiving and hold grudges easily.

You also face Orcs, Goblins, and Beastmen. These are bad guys. Orcs and Goblins and your typical cockney assholes. Beastmen are minotaurs and shit.

You have Chaos. They're evil and the Empire fights them along with everyone else basically. Don't fuck with them.

You have Law. Semi-good guys who fight Chaos and who a lot of judges worship. Don't fuck with them.

You have Bretonnia. It's France.

You have the Vampire Counts. They're classic fantasy vampires with skeleton and zombie armies.

You have the Skaven. They're rats with technology.

You have the Elves. Identical to typical fantasy elves. Look down on everyone, ancient, used to be very powerful, now not so much (at least in the Empire).

You're good to go if it's just a general WFRP game. WHF follows/embraces a lot of fantasy cliches, which is its charm. You should be alright.
>>
>>53778575
Depends on your GM. By rote, it's a Choose Your Class style. You'll have some generic spells all wizards will be able to learn, but from there it branches into a bunch of different specialties based on the nature of the winds of magic.

One big thing to consider - the Empire is very European in it's consideration of wizards. IE: Burn the fucking witch. Having a license helps to keep a lot of people in check, but you will still have to deal with the occasional crazy mob if you're very open and vocal about spell casting.

Additionally, magic in 2ed had the chance to just TPK the party on a bad roll.
>>
>>53778698
>Additionally, magic in 2ed had the chance to just TPK the party on a bad roll.

On a normal miscast, it's about a 1/1.000.000 risk of a teamkill happening, and most of the time it's nothing. I've never even seen anyone get a quadruple miscast. It's meaningless as a deterrent, and really only means the dice can occasionally tell you "campaign over".

Or much more likely, "spend fate points".
>>
>>53779278

I think you might be overlooking the other result of a miscast - angry mobs with pitchforks and torches.
>>
>>53779635
Whatevs. I'm an elf, I'll just jog briskly away as those lumpy humans run out of breath. And that's only because I'm too merciful to simply depopulate their shitty little towns.

Seriously, though, if you're anywhere within sight of a potential angry mob, odds are you don't even need magic for whatever you're doing.
>>
>>53780136
I hope you're hiding your pointy ears. Locals are as likely to kill elves on principle as they are wizards.
>>
>>53780409
>Locals are as likely to kill elves on principle as they are wizards.
That's new. From all the lore I've ever read, Imperials are generally in awe of elves.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.