[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spell School Difficulties

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: g8303.png (38KB, 186x452px) Image search: [Google]
g8303.png
38KB, 186x452px
I have an RPG I am designing, player characters are made entirely by their skills, no classes. There are 10 "skills" for magic, all of them are the spell schools, which are :

Fire & Light
Earth & Nature
Water & Ice
Air & Lightning
Shadow & Illusion
Metal & Transmutation
Necromancy & Enchantment
Abjuration & Healing
Motion & Levitation
Conjuration & Scrying

When you cast a spell, you describe what you are doing, the GM decides if it's easy, normal or hard to do, and says how much mana it uses. The weakest possible spells use 1 mana, which are known as level 1 spells, the most powerful are level 5, using 15 mana.
I'd like some suggestions for what spell effects can be cast at what level, and what is hard and what is easy for a spell school do to, an example being that Fire & Light it's easier to fuel wild and uncontrolled blasts of fire, rather than controlled bolts and balls.
Currently, only the first 4 spell schools deal direct damage, with Abjuration and Healing only doing damage to undead.
>>
I didn't read the rules, but I did read the spell schools.

Is Enchantment in this case like controlling peoples minds or is it more like enchanting items? Either way I like the paired schools you have there, they go together pretty well.
>>
>>53777468
How do Metal & Transmutation, Motion & Levitation and Conjuration & Scrying not deal direct damage?
Also, how do you exclude schools from doing direct damage if they don't have defined spell effects?
And why is "direct damage" a thing anyway?
>>
>>53777555
It is mind control, fear and nightmares. But it can also be used for messages, making people forget and so on.
It's mostly "dark" magic, removing free will.
>>
>>53777559
Direct damage means you cannot conjure metal and use it the same round. For example, throwing a fireball is direct damage. Conjuring a spear then throwing it would need 2 rounds, it's not "direct". It's mostly to keep the more damaging schools balanced.
>>
>>53777597
>bend metal armor/weapon wielded by enemy
>propel existing metal into enemy
>conjure heavy object above enemy
>conjure harmful object/substance beneath enemy
>conjure harmful substance on enemy
>propel enemy into object
>propel object into enemy
>propel enemy into the air
>propel enemy into the ground
>propel enemy into enemy
>>
>>53777716
Propelling someone into something or someone requires there to be a solid enough for them to impact into, so it's not reliable. You certainly could throw stuff at them, but you still need the ammo, so it's not reliable either. These are all perfectly reasonable uses, but the school on it's own cannot deal damage.
>>
>>53777759
What about Conjuration then? No requirements there.
>>
>>53777775
Conjuration I am having difficulty with, I intend it mostly to conjure or produce already existing things. But I don't want it to be able to conjure things like fire, lightning, etc. What would you suggest?
>>
>>53777785
For starters?
Coming up with your own categories of magic that can be properly distinguished in the context of both your system and your setting instead of haphazardly combining D&D's spell schools with elements that were just an additional descriptor of spells belonging to schools and trying to make sense of that mess.
>>
>>53777785
You scry yourself a portal and pull whatever you see out of wherever it was into wherever you are.
>>
>>53777468
Is the distribution for mana costs just the cost of the current level (as a number) as well as all levels before it?

I.E.
L1: 1
L2: 3
L3: 6
L4: 10
L5: 15
>>
>>53777468
Hey, OP, I got 2 questions, how do you calculate the total of mana of an individual?
And does the spells work every time, regardless of it's level, if not, how do you estimate the dificulty of the dice roll?
>>
>>53777785
You need to put your wizard rune on a thing before you can conjure it.

Intelligent outsiders offer contracts in exchange for summoning creatures from their stable.
>>
>>53778045
That is correct.

>>53778405
Total mana is the base amount (10) + however much the character bought. Sometimes items add more.
>>53778720
But I do want people to be able to conjure, say, a length of rope or a bunch of marbles without having to prepare ahead of time.
>>
>>53778797
>But I do want people to be able to conjure, say, a length of rope or a bunch of marbles without having to prepare ahead of time.

Assume every conjurer is savvy enough to put his rune on a bag of stuff.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.