[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

1.Are there any good mystery/detective type games? 2.Can you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: mystery.jpg (14KB, 500x323px) Image search: [Google]
mystery.jpg
14KB, 500x323px
1.Are there any good mystery/detective type games?

2.Can you create such a game where no one in the party knows the "killer", the twists etc?
>>
>>53777113
The GUMSHOE engine is very good for mystery games in my experiance, there are a few systems which use it, maybe have a look though them and see which one fits what you have in mind the best.

>Can you create such a game where no one in the party knows the "killer", the twists etc?
I'm not sure what you mean by this
>>
>>53777113
>1.Are there any good mystery/detective type games?

Literally all of the GUMSHOE games, anon.

>2.Can you create such a game where no one in the party knows the "killer", the twists etc?

That is what a mystery is, yes.
>>
>>53778119
Yeah I mean, create on the spot, throwing dice and create a plot that you don't know how it ends and you have to unravel it.
>>
>>53778234
So where there's no planned solution? In that case that's not how the GUMSHOE games are designed to work, maybe something more narrative like Fiasco would work well for that kind of game.
>>
>>53778344
hmmm.
My GF is obsessed with crime ficiton/noir/detective stories and I want to find or create a tabletop/penpaper game where we together solve the crime/mystery, using dice that could create plots or sth.
Not sure if that can work, I think someone has to create the plot.
>>
>>53778050
>>53778119
un-meme me on GUMSHOE.
Have you tried it?
What should I try for a start?
>>
File: Gumshoe_-_Trail_of_Cthulhu.pdf (5MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Gumshoe_-_Trail_of_Cthulhu.pdf
5MB, 1x1px
>>53778398
Fiasco actully does sound pretty good for that kind of game

>>53778728
I've ran it before, here's a copy of the Trail of Cthulhu rules which use the engine. The basic idea of GUMSHOE is that gaining clues is never random, there are three kinds of clues: ones you gain automatically just from being in the scene, ones you gain from taking an appropriate action while having the right skill, and ones you gain by spending reasources from your character. The main advantage here is that it makes the game entirely about the players figuing out what to look for, and then once they have the information piecing it all together. The process in the GM section of the book for building a mystery is also very good and I'd recommend following its advice in general when running mystery games GUMSHOE or not.
>>
>>53778398
Fiasco actully does sound pretty good for that kind of game

>>53778728
I've ran it before. The basic idea of GUMSHOE is that gaining clues is never random, there are three kinds of clues: ones you gain automatically just from being in the scene, ones you gain from taking an appropriate action while having the right skill, and ones you gain by spending reasources from your character. The main advantage here is that it makes the game entirely about the players figuing out what to look for, and then once they have the information piecing it all together. The process in the GM section of the book for building a mystery is also very good and I'd recommend following its advice in general when running mystery games GUMSHOE or not.
>>
>>53778878
>>53778914
why the hell does this keep happening to me
>>
>>53778924
check your extensions
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.