[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

8e Tau Discussion Part 4: Diversity Drones Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 266
Thread images: 26

File: Drone_Army_Key_Smaller.jpg (190KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Drone_Army_Key_Smaller.jpg
190KB, 800x600px
Last Thread: >>53694997

Chart-anon's damage calculations: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h0hk_IdJ7fivDEjMiIpKM5yMMB8HTm64lZHuKdLZCIU/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>53766805
How do I horde up?
>>
>>53767094
kroot.
kroot hounds are 12" move, 4ppm and are WS3+ S3 AP-1 A2, re-rolling charges.

normal kroot aren't that bad either, performing as screeners to let your better stuff live

last but not least, 8ppm gun drones are awesome with someone around with drone controller
>>
Yvahra suit is up boys
Vehicle killer
>>
>>53767539
seems good, but probably quite costly. FW says you should expect to see many of them, but I find difficult to field more than 1
>>
>>53767539

20 Power, to the Riptides 17.

Interesting.
>>
>>53768598
Yeah. It seems strong, but really expensive. I'd probably take one if i wanted something that could go more toe-to-toe with a knight
>>
>>53768697
Not going to be your whole army of course
>>
Do we know if a Fireblade's Volley Fire action can affect Sniper Drones??
>>
>>53771656
nope, because longshot pulse rifle != pulse rifle
>>
What's better for the Stormsurge: Flamers, Burst, or Airbust?
>>
>>53772057
Probably Burst unless you want stuff for 8'' or less charges.
Those guns are essentially quaternary so probably not going to be a significant difference.
>>
>>53772160

What would be better to complement the Pulse Blast Cannon? What about for a Stormsurge equipped with a Pulse Drive Cannon?
>>
>>53772266

I'd probably pick the Burst for either or. It isn't one of your major guns so not really worth sweating it. And neither are they drastically changing things when you think about the SS as a whole
>>
File: XV109.jpg (209KB, 1000x1079px) Image search: [Google]
XV109.jpg
209KB, 1000x1079px
>18" movement
I'm pal-ling it up with the Coldstar
>>
>>53772523

Mathing it out it does some beastly damage.
Can roughly pop a Leman Russ in one turn

Without ML support that flamer can roast a squad of terminators
>>
File: equilibrium_john_preston.png (150KB, 350x239px) Image search: [Google]
equilibrium_john_preston.png
150KB, 350x239px
Do individual suits have to fire all their weapons at one unit, or can each suit fire at more than one unit?
>>
>>53767539
Vehicle killer is already quad fusion commander.
>>
>>53773095

I know
just saying what it is capable of
>>
>>53772764
Everything has split fire.

Just have to declare it all first.

So shooting a bolter at one thing and the bolt pistol at another is fine. Etc.
>>
Alright you drone sniffers, what is the R'varna going to be like?
I'm betting it'll be the anti-horde counterpart to the Y'vahra. A long range artillery of sorts.

Weak against single targets, but ramps up immensely against blobs.
Like say going from Heavy 3 to Heavy 2D6 if the target unit is big.
>>
>>53772523
Tau flying circus is looking pretty sweet. Coldstar Commander, Y'vahra for heavy firepower, Sunshark for clearing hordes. Hell, you could probably even have some Vespid for infinatry and manage to keep up decently well by constantly advancing them.

Certainly a fun gimmick if you wanted to go full Fast Attack
>>
>>53776216

Gonna get wrecked by things with bonus against Fly keyword though
>>
>>53767539
Fingers crossed for the Remora!
>>
>>53776875

People seem rather fond of that one
>>
Do the R'varna/Y'vahra kits come with full Riptide kits?
>>
>>53777786
No. They're missing one of the sprues (the one with the weapons, jetpack and some other components you won't need to build them).
>>
>>53774148
can't fire pistols and normal weapons together
>>
>>53772523
if you nova charge can you use the nova profile for both weapons or do you have to pick one? reading the rules it's not entirely clear.
>>
>>53778579
How could you have both main weapons when you have to swap them in the wargear options?
>>
>>53778579

It says "a" weapon, but I'm pretty sure it means both.

>>53778647

Are you retarded?
>>
>>53772523

"When targeting this enemy vehicle"

Do people at FW even speak English?
>>
>>53778647
you didn't actually read the profile did you?
>>
>>53777045
Its an adorable tiny plane drone, how could you not be fond of it.
>>
>>53778678
No we're talking about different units. Didn't realize you were mentioning >>53772523

I thought you were talking about just the Riptide. Just jumped to the bottom of the convo.

Chill with that shit.
>>
File: IMG_9621.jpg (59KB, 1024x784px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9621.jpg
59KB, 1024x784px
Is the Ion Accelerator worth for something now?
>>
>>53780814

No.

For a lot of the units with two main weapon options they geared one as the mainstay that synergizes with the overall profile of the model, while the other is a quirky alternative that changes its role but allows your to approach the situation in an unexpected way.

The Ion Accelerator is clearly supposed to be the 'alternative' one, but it misses the mark.
>>
>>53781089
The only advantage I really see to the Ion accelerator is that it's very long ranged, but the HBC isn't exactly short range either. Paying another 50 points just for the extra distance doesn't seem worthwhile
>>
What secundary weapons work best for the Riptide now?
>>
>>53782327
SMS is a safe go-to due to range, and synergizes well with the HBC due to its profile. My second pick would be PR with an EWO, to punish things trying to drop on it.
>>
>>53780814
Looking at the stats, IA tends to be weaker than HBC across the board, except for cases versus vehicles when when IA is constantly Nova-ing, which is both dangerous and precludes other uses of Nova Charge.
>>
>>53782734

What about the Fusion Blasters?
>>
>>53778712

Typical FW writing
>>
>>53783020
The issue with the FB is that it has such short range. Its max range is half that of the HBC, and it isn't really worth its points until it's at a quarter of the HBC's range. Simply put, I can't see it getting much use, unless someone is driving a tank into your Riptide.
>>
>>53783020
>FB melta range: 9"
>manta strike: more than 9"

gunddamn GW, just to tease us
>>
>>53783205

That is the niche stealth suits occupy
>>
How would you guys rate the Krootox? I'm thinking up ideas for units I can add to bulk up my now-crunched-from-2K-to-1.5K list and I got the stellar idea from soneone to use WHF Lizardmen as counts-as. Makes sense since my Sept is a planetjungleforest of sorts.

Would be fucking rad having some, always loved them but never played WHF.
>>
>>53784677
They seem okay. I think you'd want a Shaper to stick nearby them and offer re-rolls and other benefits though. They're essentially cheaper, less-mobile missile pod crisis suits. They put out decent shooting.
>>
>>53784742
Yeah, I'd have a shaper. The Seraphon box would give me an Oldblood (Shaper), 8 Knights (Krootox) and 12 Warriors (can field 10 as Carnivores and fit some other stuff in my list for 2K).

Would 4x2 squads be recommended or 3x2 and a 2-man? To make full use of the 8 in the box.
>>
>>53784815
I'd say 4x2 would be fine. Depends on how many slots you want to fill. The carnivores could work as a sort of bodyguard for the squad to prevent them from getting charged due to their shorter range.
>>
>>53784892
That's what I'm thinking. A big blob of lumbering dinosaurs serving as the spearhead while the Tau guns lay waste to everybody else.

I'm honestly pretty fucking stoked at the idea of fielding them due to the models. Lizardmen are insanely cool. If they reintroduce the Greater Knarloc, I'll bring in the fucking Carnosaur!
>>
Sniper drones
Lame
>>
>>53788061
They're actually pretty good if you take a larger squad of them along with a herder with DC and a Marksman to spot the enemy. Being able to shoot twice at BS3+ within 24" isn't too shabby for their cost.
>>
>>53788199
It does feel like itll be a bit tricky to take anything out with them though. Even with the BS boosts they're only equalling gun drones at close ranges, just with a lot more freedom in who they can shoot.

Of course, most characters have enough armor and wounds that the lack of any sort of extra sniper rules like higher damage, mortal wounds, or better AP makes it feel lackluster.
>>
>>53788408
They'll be most effective at firing on squishy aura-sources. Commissars are the hot-topic right now, and Sniper Drones are very good at Commissar-hunting. Versus larger, tankier characters, you're better of shooting out the chaff to target it directly with your main firepower.
>>
>>53783383
Too bad they can only have 2 FB max.
>>
>>53788928
Stealth Suits can also place homing beacons to allow other suits to drop within Melta range of their targets. Stealth Suits into Fusion-Quadmander will take down most vehicles.
>>
>>53788894
>BT friend field Chaplain and Captain to buff big squad of angry veterans with power weapons
>Slaughter everything on the charge
It's like trying to stop a runaway train while staring it down.
>>
Can't we field a full and legal Kroot army now, legally? Aren't Kroot Shapers HQ choices?

Hell, have Forgeworld updated the discontinued Kroot model rules in their Xenos book?
>>
>>53784742
Crisis are overpriced relative to commanders but don't underestimate their extra durability over the Krootox due to both drones saves and armor.
>>
>>53789042
Shapers are Elite, not HQ, so you'll need an Ethereal or something. The FW Index for Xenos is also missing any Kroot units.
>>
>>53789042
Technically no, Shapers are Elite. You still need a Tau HQ.
>>
>>53789042
Unfortunately they are elites. Would have been nice if the patrol detachment allowed you to take an elite instead of an HQ as the requirement.
>>
>>53788996
Sucks that it's 20 points and only works for one unit. Why couldn't they just make it work for any number of drops for one phase?
>>
>>53789087
Yeah, but it would make more sense for my Sept fluff to field some forest/jungle auxiliaries rather than big suits. Plus I need some CC shield/power, love lizardmen looks and I can get a buttload of 'em for relatively cheap.
>>
>>53789042
FW kroot stuff was discontinued. I don't think we'll ever see it again
>>
>>53789782

Well, maybe if the kroot were smart enough to build suits they'd still be relevant
>>
>>53791201
shut up and burn your riptides already faggot
>>53789782
maybe gw plastic release? or next/future imperial armor?
>>
>>53791430
They didn't sell enough to justify keeping up their production. They won't come back
>>
>>53791554
BELIEVE
FELLOW KROOTFRIEND
>>
>>53791430
>shut up and burn your riptides

Sorry wolfkin-thing, should've got in the damn robot, then you'd still be in stores
>>
>>53792240
>wolfkin
got space yiffs red rockets on the mind eh?
you woulda been fine with chickin-thing lmao
>>
>>53792289

I was thinking Jackals from Halo too
>>
What are Hrud and are they Tau allies
>>
>>53793948
>Hrud

They are enemies of everything in the galaxy. They increase the entropy of everything they touch.
>>
File: drones2.jpg (392KB, 1800x1540px) Image search: [Google]
drones2.jpg
392KB, 1800x1540px
>>
>>53795396
>Formations
>Twin-linked
>Automated repair system
We're in 8e now, now 7e. Those aren't things anymore.
>>
>>53795414
not* 7e
>>
>>53795414
my text somehow didn't make it into the post

that was more or less the list I was previously building towards, but then I heard so many conflicting and mixed reports about drones.

for 8e I would obviously need an HQ, but could a drone and tank heavy army be viable for casual games?
>>
>>53795474
>for 8e I would obviously need an HQ
Longstrike got you covered bro
>>
>>53795474
Drone and tank heavy sounds like something that could actually be viable in moderately competitive settings now, most certainly viable in casual. Drones in general are fantastic now, while they were pretty questionable in 7e outside of the Drone-Net. The list you have there also would have been problematic in 7e due to being incapable of capturing any objective, since vehicles and drones can't cap in 7e. Luckily, that's not an issue in 8e, as everything can now capture.

Sadly, Skyrays are pretty pointless right now, since flying rules are changed- Shooting at Airbourne targets is a flat -1 to BS instead of hitting on 6's, so you don't need the Skyray to light up a flyer with Markerlights so your army can hit it. Now the Skyray is just a really expensive body for seeker missiles and a markerlight.

I'd heavily recommend taking Longstrike, as he's actually an HQ now, and he buffs other Hammerheads, with his bonus specifically stacking very well with the mortal wounds that railguns can inflict.

Gun-drones are currently point-for-point one of the most efficient units in the game, and arguably the most efficient in our codex, especially when coupled with a drone controller. Expect that to be your main answer to the oncoming hordes which seem to be popular in 8e.

ML drones do what they've always done, and continue to be good at it with similar trade-offs compared to Pathfinders, though Pathfinders now are more attractive with their special-weapons options.

Shield Drones are actually useful now, due to acting as separate units and therefore not causing morale issues for whatever they're protecting, and since Savior Protocols is like an AoE auto-Look Out Sir, which is super nice.
>>
>>53795595
well that is certainly a departure from the doom-and-gloom reports I heard early on. I'll get back to work cleaning up the drones and sourcing some gently used hammerheads.

Tau tank commander sounds really different from the classic battlesuit commander, and I've never tried playing an armor heavy list before ever. Sound like it might be fun to model up a command tank
>>
>>53795635
In essence, Tau had its most powerful stuff nerfed and its most under-used stuff buffed. Drones (outside of the Net formation) and Hammerheads were on the under-used side, which means they're actually quite viable now. (For the record, Railsides, Vespids, Kroot Hounds, Ethereals, Razorshark, and even Pulse Carbines on FW are all now worth taking in the right circumstances). A lot of the doom-and-gloom talk is centered around the stuff which was previously the highlight of T'au, which of course was the stuff that was most powerful and thus in need of nerfing- Riptide and Crisis, for the most part. They may have gone a little too far, but they're at least in the right ballpark now, and the regular points-tweaks should straighten out any lasting issues.
>>
File: angler.jpg (33KB, 439x380px) Image search: [Google]
angler.jpg
33KB, 439x380px
>command tank conversions/kitbashes
>>
>>53795980
>>
>>53795980
That's pretty sweet, though it may look a bit too aircraft-y.
>>
File: 290373_md-.jpg (56KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
290373_md-.jpg
56KB, 800x600px
>>53795988
>>
>>53796001
>"Is this enough Dakka?"
>>
>>53795999
It kind of does look a bit like a stubby helicopter doesn't it? Still, I might borrow that idea.

>>53796001
pictures of these are surprisingly hard to fine
>>
>>53796032
>We heard you liked tank, so we added some tank to your tank..

I love that you can see another railgun on the floor. Not enough railguns. Never enough railguns.
>>
>>53796059
yeah I will just have to figure something out. The (now quite old) hammerhead kit looks quite great but it it really requires some chopping up do to anything unusual with.

I'll be hunting ebay for some spares for sure, but if drones and tanks are the new hotness I suspect everyone else will be too, and drones were hard as hell to get before.
>>
>>53796105
Well, hammerheads come with skyray bits right? You could take the seeker missile wings and add those on to the engines or some other part in order for it to look more impressive.
>>
Besides radiation coming from a nearby pulsating Neutron Star, is there anything else that could serve as sort off General Winter for a Russian-based sept?
>>
>>53795276

I read they are a rumoured upcoming faction
>>
>>53796117
I think I might also see if I can get the wings and engines off a piranha. Replacing the back hatch with extra engines would be a good look too, as would aerials and such to really show that it is a command tank. I've got a dremel and a hacksaw.
>>
>>53796147
Other environmental extremes or features? Princess-Bride-style dense forest with deathtraps everywhere that your Sept has learned how to deal with? Placed inside a nebulae which disrupts communications and certain tech? Constant lightning storms? A bit too close to the Hadex Anomaly?
>>
>>53796147
a storm in the warp (but not in realspace) making warp travel to the planet very slow, but not for the Tau ships which skip off the edge of the warp

A planet with really uneven rocky features with a lot of overhangs and natural air cover, making both armored assaults and airstrikes ineffective while not hindering tau battlesuits.

An ocean planet with the tau having hovering tanks and sweet submarines. Their ocean floor base is shielded from orbital strikes by the water.
>>
Drone spam is to tau what conscripts are to IG
>>
>>53796313
Eh. They're amazingly efficient as far as points-in to dakka-out, but they don't have a Commissar-equivalent. If you take them in large squads, Morale will wreak havoc on them. They're thus far less spammable than Conscripts are.
>>
Anyone else hoping that the Sniper drones are gonna get some kind of FAQ? They're the only sniper unit that doesn't have some kind of extra punch. Every other sniper I've seen does mortal wounds on 6s, although that could be OP with the spotter and a drone controller making it a 4+ for a mortal wound, but as it stands they're just cheap, long range pulse rifles that aren't as accurate without a separate character
>>
>>53796235
>>53796173

I like the forest, nebula thing, and the lightning storm. It can even work with the radiation coming from the neutron star. The nebula could be the result of the supernova making the star systems rich in rare minerals.

The storm in the warp is not bad, however rocky features don't scream Russia (the Russian core is mostly endless plain). Planet with big ocean planet sounds interesting for at least some geographical features. Thanks.
>>
>>53796456
Check the damage and cost-efficiency calculations and comparisons in the OP link. Sniper Drones along with Marksman and DC are easily competitive with snipers from other factions. While they lack bonus MW, their attack has +1S, and fires twice within 24" per model. When set up correctly, they're already quite efficient.
>>
>>53775431
Extremely likely, that amount of hits will ramp up with more models being in a unit. Expect the same for damage done versus monsters and vehicles (it used to cause extra hits based on bulky units.
>>
>>53772695
Flamer kills only 3.5 TEQs withouts stormshields per phase in nova'd overchage. remeber that Termies only have 2 wounds so Y'Vahra flamer's damage of 3 would be partially wasted.
>>
>>53796650
I hardly feel like it's wasted. Especially when used against every factions newly buffed units. Bullgryns, Tyranids Warriors, Chaos multi wounders, etc,. will be sweating that DAM3 Flamer. Advanced Targeting System and EWO are cheap and increase the threat potential.
>>
>>53791866
I don't even like kroot that much. I'm a suit lover
>>
>>53795595
vehicles could cap in 7e
>>
So for 8e, I'm thinking of doing a new Start Collecting box, but I'm kinda unsure of what to build the Crisis Suits/Fire Warriors with. Anybody got any ideas?
>>
How do you think The 8 will fare in 8e? I love playing them in big points games and making my own formation of them in 7e, hoping I can do the same in 8th.
>>
>>53797968
Strikers with pulse rifles are still the Fire Warrior build du jour.

Breachers are situational and require transport to be effective.

Strikers with carbines are better, but still not great.

The optimal crisis suit build is magnets, magnets, magnets.
>>
>>53798066
Character Riptide and Broadside are kaputt
>>
>>53798112
I was hoping for a solid Crisis build, ahah, but thank you for the heads up, I'll pick up some more magnets.
>>
>>53798169
CIBs are the new hotness for Crisis
as Flamers, if you manage do drop a homing beacon
>>
So, Tau general, what's the most efficient way to buy mass gun drones?

>inb4 why don't you already have 50
I used them in a lot of ork konversions.
>>
>>53798180
Gotcha. I think I might have one spare from my Commander.
>>
>>53798281
OH and a side note - what's the verdict on Shield Generators?
>>
>>53798232

Buy stealth suits or crisis since they are the things you will buy the most.
>>
>>53798289
they're quite cheap now, so it could be interesting in a Quad Fusion Commander or a group of flamer suits to be your 'melee barrier'
>>
>>53798169
Double Pods and Multitracker
Double Burstcannon and Advance Targeting System
Triple Fusion
Triple Plasma
Cyclic Ion and Double Flamer
Velocity Tracker and Double Fusion (dedicated AA)
Triple Flamer for Greater Good Overwatch

Those are the builds I'm seeing make good use of the suit and the support system. Outside of that, fill in the gaps of what your forces need. Ghostkeels and Stealth Suits can do a fair amount of heavy lifting both of which are suits. Commanders are just so damn good for the cost.

Railsides with double plasma and seeker missiles are pretty good.

So if you take any of those units complement them with your Crisis Teams.

>>53797968
But of everything works well. If you have Pathfinders and are going to take the Pulse Accelerator Drone, Carbines are snazzy with a 24" threat range on your Strike teams. I like the MP turret with my Strike team carrying Rifles. You definitely need a transport for your Breachers.

I've used them all. Forgot Pathfinders could fire Markerlights and their Carbines. Would have helped stave off more Orks in my game this passed weekend.
>>
>>53798350
Triple Burst Cannon is equal or better than Double + ATV on everything but 2+ saves. While also being better than Double + Target Lock. And it barely costs anything extra.

Also, flamers are never going to shoot anything with Greater Good overwatch unless your opponent is a fucking potato. Hell, they may not even get to shoot with regular overwatch now that they don't get to ignore their shit range anymore.
>>
>>53798350

>Forgot Pathfinders could fire Markerlights and their Carbines.

They can't.
>>
>>53799317
Oh some Anon said they could. I didn't play it that way. Good to know.

>>53798746
I've noticed I'm dealing with a lot of 2+ save now with Meganobz and Termies.
>>
>>53798746
Also, I've just played against Orks. Waiting to play against IG, Nids, and Chaos.
>>
So using the rules for minimum units, could you have a squad of only 3 pathfinder all with a special weapon for only 8 points on top of everything?

That seems like it could be useful for saving space in transports for drones or other infantry.
>>
>>53800588
tell us more about the game!
>>
>>53791554
Bull. I'm sick of companies setting things up to fail then justifying why they're ditching it. Like airing a show out of order at random timeslots, then cancelling it due to lack of ratings.

They didn't sell because the rules were never updated or made available, and there was nothing else to use them as.

Most of the other forgeworld stuff could be used as a plausible counts-as.
>>
>>53800858
That's sort of the reason Tau got all their giant gundam stuff focused on. They made the Riptide as a centerpiece model, but it was undercosted so tons of people bought 3. Then forgeworld made riptides for other slots so people bought those so they could spam even more. Then thry jist kept making more and more giant robots because so many people seemed to love riptides, even if it was for the rules rather than anything else.

If Riptides had been garbage and the FW Kroot stuff was ridiculously broken, then you'd have the opposite situation with alien auxiliaries being pushed, because they'd figure people like dinosaurs more than gundams
>>
>>53800998
If GW was even semi decent at rules writing we'd be in a very different place. We might have even gotten an auxiliary unit after 3rd ed.
>>
>>53801090
I feel like it would be pretty easy for thwm to throw in a few of the more established ones.

Throw in Demiurg as short armored dudes with Ion Weapons and maybe some armored mining vehicle, and then have a Nicassar Flyer or Skimmer flown by their Telekinesis that uses their psychic powers to toss bombs and rocks or whatever.
>>
>>53800998
Even if riptide was garbage in 6th I still would have bought one. I like the model and lore behind it. Then again I liked the (---)shark model too and that model was garbage in 6&7e.
>>
>>53801324
Yeah, no doubt people would have bought one. It's just that it would have been a portion of existing players buying 1 as a centerpiece, rather than a bunch of people buying 3 for tournaments.

I personally dont mind the Riptide as the Rare Prototype siegebreaker it was initially pitched as. What I dont like is how they encouraged fielding them en masse and all of the even bigger battlesuits that spawned from its popularity.
>>
>>53801490
Now that the setting has progressed 100 years tau stuff should be quite different than what it was in 7e. I wonder how GW will handle this. 100 years is like 10 (?) generations of new tau born.
>>
>>53800689
Alrighty!

It was 1500pts. My loadouts were dumb because I was just getting used to all of the changes and wanted to try things out so bear with me.

My list was a Battalion Detachment with:
++HQ++
Commander (Double Fusion, Cyclic Ion Blaster, Multitracker and Markerlight Drone)
Ethereal (Standard)

++Elites++
Ghostkeel (Cyclic Ion Raker, Stealth Drones [2], Flamers [2], Target Lock and Drone Controller)
Crisis Suit (Missile Pod [2] and Multitracker)
Crisis Suit (Flamer [3])
Stealth Suits x5 (Burstcannon [5] and Target Lock [5])

++Troops++
Strike Team x5 (Pulse Rifles [5] and DS8 Turret with MP)
Strike Team x5 (Pulse Carbines [5])
Breacher Team x5 (Pulse Blaster [5])

++Fast Attack++
Tactical Drones x6 (Markerlight Drone [5])
Pathfinders x5 (Pulse Carbines [5] and Markerlight [5])

++Heavy Support++
Broadside (Heavy Rail Rifle, SMS [2] and Seeker Missile)
Broadside (HYMP [2], SMS[2], Seeker Missile)

++Dedicated Transports++
Devilfish (Burstcannon and Gun Drones [2])

His list was:
Warboss in Mega Armour
Weirdboy
Weirdboy

Nobz (5) with 'Eavy Choppas

Slugga Boyz with PK Boss Boy(30)
Slugga Boyz with PK Boss Boy(30)

Lootas (15)

Skorchas (2)

Wazdakka Blastbom (the really good Flyer)

Trukk with Wrekkin Ball and Big Shoota

Battlewagon with Rokkits and Big Shoota along with a Wrekkin' Ball

I put it together quickly so we could play. I noticed after that Crisis Suits only come in a unit of 3 and can't be separated so I butchered that. Aside from that and a few Command Point issues that we cleared up later the game ran pretty smoothly.

We played Maelstroms Mission Deadlock with the Spearhead Assault Deployment. I was not used to that kind of deployment and had not had a chance to play against the new Orks either so this would be a doozy. I deployed most of my forces near the bottom left of the left hand side on the pentagon in the picture. He was pretty across his side with the Sluggas up front.

He got Turn 1 since he deployed first.
>>
>>53801780

Rather he finished deploying first. My roll for the Seize was a 1, not off to a great start. He promptly moved the units he wanted to and even Advanced a couple as well. We rolled the Psychic Maelstrom and he ended up being able to double down on powers. He decided to use Da Jump on both of his Boyz Squads putting them at the top left of my DZ along with the Skorchas showing up there as well.

Shooting not much happened. Lootaz killed a Stealth Suit (was surprised by the resiliency) and opened fire with his Battlewagon (not much happened there other than a Rokkit connecting with a Broadside who flubbed his save and took 3 wounds for his trouble. Last edition he would have died for failing that save funny enough!

His Assault Phase saw one of his squads relying on Ere We Go to get into combat with my MissileSide as it missed practically every Overwatch shot into the Boyz unit that failed the Charge before and even missing the aforementioned squad. Only 3 Boyz made it into combat and managed a few wounds, but they were bounced off the hard case of the Broadside.

My turn 1 saw the Commander Manta Striking near the bottom to try and open up the Battlewagon. The two Crisis Suits came in, (I know now they were supposed to be a whole unit of 3 not liking them so much now). I shuffled a few things around and had my MissileSide disengage the Boyz so I could begin some damage control since I now had about 60 Boyz and a couple of Skorchas breathing down my neck all poised on that flank ready to charge again. Ere We Go is a pretty solid ability combined with the amount of attacks and natural Str4 of Slugga Boyz now. I pushed my Devilfish up next to the MissileSide and made a barrier for my Strike Teams and the rest of my firebase. I forgot to call Kauyon, which would have made a huge difference, but I did remember to use the Fire Element for all of my units that managed to stand still after my Ethereal moved into a better position to benefit more units.
>>
>>53801966
cont.

The volley of fire that came next despite my rather lackluster rolls and the Ethereal benefits were able to ice a Boyz squad down to the Boss Boy who later failed his Battleshock Test and fled. Obviously, he was a bit panicked by the sheer amount of fire laid at him and was out of range to use the benefit of the rest of the Boyz nearby.

My Commander failed to nuke the Battlewagon (damn myself for not calling Kauyon). The cards that I drew that turn gave me a distinct path to follow. I had Assassinate and Witch Hunt, which hilariously enough his Weirdboyz were out in the open after using Da Jump on their Orky komrades. The Stealth Suits opened up and secured 2 VPs right off the bat. The Crisis Suits grabbed Obj 1 which was in the middle of the table practically. I also nabbed First Blood for the Weirdboyz. The Stealthsuits really were the MVP of the match for me, but their task was not finished.

The turn ended with me nabbing another VP somehow (I can't remember) with a score of T'au 6 Orks-0

Not to be swayed the Orks swung back really hard. The Lootaz were then Jumped into a building top center of the map putting them on an objective and in another hardened firing position. That power is nuts! He moved his Skorchas down further trying to get to my Fire Warriors. His Boyz moved farther down and and held an objective. My MissileSide was then gunned down by Lootaz fire for his trouble and trampled over by the Slugga Boyz as they attempted another charge at my lines. His Warboss decided to call out my Commander with his Nobz in tow and they decided to charge on in. The Warboss missing spectacularly while his Battlewagon flung a Wrekkin' Ball at my Commander, I can only imagine the timing on that as my Commander dodged (whether accidentally or intentionally I have no idea) before being cut down by the metric shitton of multiwound attacks from the Nobz. They were playing for keeps. My cousin got Slay the Warlord, my helpless Commander lay dead.
>>
>>53796550

Yeah, I don't think it should overlap with the other suit for more anti-vehicle stuff
Need a horde buster
>>
>>53801722
Well, based on the rules, pathfinder drones at least seem a little less experimental. You still have to gave the basic pathfinder squad, but you can use them for fire warriors without much issue.

I kind of hope we see 4+ save infantry with access to those special weapons as well. I really want an elite team of Rail Rifle Fire Warriors
>>
>>53802158
cont.

The Ethereal could he the screams through the comm channel as multiple Shas'ui and Shas'vre tried to make sense of what happened. The Stealthsuit Team being the closest could only imagine from the screams behind the broken structure and industrial complex.

My turn would see multiple units trying to fall back and make another firing line to stave off more of the Orks that were coming. The Markerlight drones flew ahead of the Ghostkeel to make a wall and protect the bottom flank from a Warboss, Nobz, and Battlewagon that were all running loose.

The cards this turn involved grabbing some objectives that were well out of reach and picking off a unit or two and not losing any of mine in return. By now I was down a couple of Command Points that were used improperly, but they didn't impact the game due to Ere We Go and other things.

My line quickly quickly reformed and tried to pad things out with auxiliary units. The Ghostkeel moving ahead and staying behind the grouping of Markerlight Drones.

Finishing off the other Boyz squad I now had an enemy Flyer that was entering the fray, a Skorcha running up the side trying to raise hell, a rampaging Warboss and Battlewagon on the loose and a full unit of Lootaz howling into their air with their Deffgunz firing widly.

The Stealthsuits would spread out enough to get Linebreaker and grab objective 2 at the same time.

His flyer nuked my Devilfish into the ground and tried to assault the Stealthsuits doing nothing. The Warboss assaulted the Railside, and the Wagon couldn't get to the Ghostkeel.

The game ended with the score being 9- T'au and 7-Orks. It was a crazy fight that saw me trying to shore up my lines after all his outlier units showed up along with jumping his mobz of Sluggaz.

After playing, I learned a lot about my force. I didn't bring any Riptides or stuff like that, but I can definitely see some units being strong outliers. That 5 man unit of Stealthsuits won me the game handsdown.
>>
>>53802811
Things I learned from that game that I would like to pass on to other players:

-Choose your Support Systems wisely
-Try out different combinations, this is the time to be testing stuff that you might have had reservations about in the past
-1500 was surprisingly a good number to play at and saw both of us with a fair amount of units.
-It's easy to get carried away with wargear on your units that can take them.

As a T'au Empire player, the things I wanna give a go next time are:
-More Pathfinders
-Sunshark Bomber
-Y'Vhara
-Fireblades
-Pulse Accelerator Drones and Pulse Carbines
-More models (fluffing out Strike teams and Breachers along with Pathfinders)
-Krootox and Kroothounds

I had a great time playing, just need to get the rest of my stuff built and primed in Farsight Enclave colors (6 XV25s, Riptide, Y'Vhara, Farsight, 3 more Crisis Suits, 10 more FWs, and some other odds and ends).

Trying to get a Stormsurge and a Sunshark Bomber on the cheap has been rather difficult.
>>
>>53803007
>-Y'Vhara

That'll be fun to see how it holds up.
No points info yet though, guess you could always approximate
>>
Vespids or Stealth suits for mech T'au?
>>
>>53803822
I could always just use Power Level in the mean time. My group wants to try both. I've heard a lot of hooplah about Power being more balanced over points. The Y'Vhara is coming from China along with my Farsight, so it will be a while unless I proxy my Riptide I am in the process of building and magnetizing.

>>53804633
Stealth for sure. They are cheaper to buy modelwise and they are pretty stout in the field. If you like the XV15s they still sell them on eBay if you don't mind being patient. I got 5 of the buggers for $15 and haven't looked back. Though I still have 6 of the XV25s to build as well.
>>
>>53805630

Power vs points remains to be seen
>>
File: T'auEmpire1490pts.jpg (693KB, 1800x2190px) Image search: [Google]
T'auEmpire1490pts.jpg
693KB, 1800x2190px
With how strong the IG, Nids, and Orks are now supposedly. Does anyone think this list is a bit too much for a tourney? Gonna practice with my friends who like to play a little competitive. We have the former and the latter for opponents. Just need someone to play Nids.

The cost was off for the Devilfish at the time when I made the list.
>>
Estimating

For about 650 points circa there. Of gun drones and support.
You can have 240 shots at 18'' and 360 shots at 9'' BS 3+
>>
>>53808909
You got points to stick an ATS on the SS I believe. Might as well?
Tau aren't broken riptide spammers anymore so I wouldn't worry about dialing lists down yet at all
>>
>>53809301
I can't unfortunately. The cost on the Devilfish in the rostercreator is off by 10pts. So I had to cut it down to make sure it was right. Plus, it would be 24pts to put Advanced Targeting System on 3 Stealthsuits.
>>
>>53809339

Stormsurge not stealthsuit
>>
>>53809431
Oh that would be more manageable, but like I said the Devilfish is supposed to be 121pts.
>>
File: T'au Empire - 1440pts.jpg (809KB, 1800x2462px) Image search: [Google]
T'au Empire - 1440pts.jpg
809KB, 1800x2462px
>>53766805
How should I round out the rest of this list/what needs to go?

I have 2 more crisis suits, Darkstrider, 2 kroot squads and shapers, a riptide, a devilfish, a piranha, and 4 more broadsides.
>>
>>53811628

All rounder lists?
Vt seems a waste go quadmannder fully
>>
>>53812521
I could see VT and triple Fusion on one if his meta was known for flyers.

Not two though.

Better off running triple Cyclic Ion Blasters with a Multitracker for overcharging.
>>
>>53812555
Quad fusion for melta melta
>>
>>53812613
Seems a tad overkill given what he has/wants to take.
>>
>>53812555
Are multitrackers really necessary with that many pathfinders? Seems easy to get at least 1 on everything they're aiming for.

>>53812521
>>53812555
Wait isn't VT good against anything with Fly like suits and jetbikes, not just flyers?
>>
>>53812862
I plan on Manta striking my Commanders so less reliance on Pathfinders the better. I'd rather be confident in the idea that my Commander can reliably score 3 hits and put out an average of 8 damage on something.

Yes, VT does work against anything with Fly.
>>
>>53812862

Yes but commanders hit on a 2+ and 1's always miss sooo... Kind of a waste there as stated
Unless you've got hordes of stealthy airborne jets in your meta or something, not of any use.
>>
>>53813414
I guess you have to ask yourself if Multitracker, Markerlights, or Velocity Tracker is the better option.
>>
Ok, for some reason riptide has access to the cheaper multi-tracker while it has to pay big suit premium for all other support systems. Do you think this is intentional or just an clerical error?
>>
>>53783205
Homing Beacons nigga
>>
>>53795595
>I'd heavily recommend taking Longstrike, as he's actually an HQ now, and he buffs other Hammerheads, with his bonus specifically stacking very well with the mortal wounds that railguns can inflict.
Longstikes buff to Hammerheads is +1 to hit
Railgun mortal wounds happen on wound rolls, not the hit rolls
>>
>>53796491
Youll need a lot of sniper drones to actually kill even the softest characters.
If you face a list that doesn't have soft characters? Sniper Drones are a waste of points.
>>
>>53797968
A good general Crisis Suit loadout is 2x missile pod + 1 flamer. MPs do good damage to everything in the game except infantry, and flamers come in to field that weakness. Flamers are also great at Overwatch.

You should definitely magnetize everything though. If youre going to play Tau you need to learn how to use magnets.

Your first squad of Fire Warriors should be built into a Strike Team with Pulse Rifles. Breachers can be very good in the right circumstances but they are too situational for a newbie.
>>
>>53798350
>Triple Fusion on Crisis Suits
Fucking why

Just bring a commander instead
>>
Is this too many toys over boys?

Batallion detachment 500p/500p
CP: 6

1 Ethereal w.equalizers 46

1 Cadre Fireblade 42

5 Strikers 43
- Shas’ui w.markerlight

5 Strikers 43
- Shas’ui w.markerlight

5 Strikers 40

3 Stealth suits 124p
1 Fusion blaster
2 Gun drones
1 Multi-tracker (fusion)
1 Drone controller

8 Pathfinders 84p
3 Ion rifles
1 Pulse accelerator drone

5 Pathfinders 58p
2 Rail rifles
>>
>>53798289
Remember that 4++ invuln saves are USELESS against anything that is only AP0 or AP1.

You only get value from a shield generator if your unit takes damage from heavy weapons with AP2 or better. Ideal targets for those kinds of weapons are units like Broadsides, Riptides, Crisis Suits, Commanders, and Stormsurge.

It seems like a no brainer to give those units a SG then, right? Wrong. Two reason:

1. Support Systems are incredibly valuable to Tau and the opportunity cost of taking a SG means you aren't taking a better system like TL, ATS, CFDS, or EWO.
2. Shield Drones exist and don't take up a support system slot. You can just hide the drones behind your model and choose to allocate heavy weapon hits to them instead

So when are shield generators good?
On units that will not be near a Shield Drone, which typically only happens with lone wolf units like the Coldstar Commander.
>>
File: understrength units.png (154KB, 380x277px) Image search: [Google]
understrength units.png
154KB, 380x277px
>>53800668
You have to pay for 5 Pathfinders, even if you only bring 3
>>
>>53815454
Doesnt matter, Multi Tracker is garbage on a Riptide
>>
>>53815581
>the opportunity cost of taking a SG means you aren't taking a better system like TL, ATS, CFDS, or EWO
None of those are objectively better systems. There's an old MMO proverb that says "Your DPS is 0 if you are dead". Having a crippled stormsurge with 1 wound and shield generator is a lot more valuable than stormsurge with 0 wounds and all the targeting gizmos in the world.
>>
>>53815646
And if your opponent has dealt with all the ablative drones, you're fucked already.
>>
File: T'auEmpire1490pts.jpg (692KB, 1800x2190px) Image search: [Google]
T'auEmpire1490pts.jpg
692KB, 1800x2190px
>>53815549
Maybe their HQ slots are filled with Commanders already? I'm just saying builds that make sense if he wants to bring Crisis teams.

I'd just bring a Supreme Command Detachment for all the HQ slots.
>>
>>53816071
Should be Advanced Targeting System on the MissileMander.
>>
>>53816071
There is no reason to bring triple fusion crisis suits. You get better results for nearly the same cost with 2 commanders.

2 Commander with 4 FB each is 320 points
8 shots at BS2+

3 Crisis Suits with 3 FB each is 315 points
9 shots at BS4+

Commanders reliably hit all 8 shots (assuming 1 markerlight on the target).
Crisis Suits can do slightly more max damage but on average they'll only land 5 shots (assuming 1 markerlight)

Wounds:
Commanders - 6W each, 12 total
Crisis - 3W each, 9 total

Toughness:
Commanders - T6
Crisis - T5

Commanders can also act independently and don't need to stick together as a huge blob.

Commanders can also hide behind other units and avoid getting shot.

The only benefit Crisis have over Commanders is being able to field one big squad of 9 for a huge alpha strike, but in that situation you won't be running 27 Fusion Blasters so it's not a related discussion.
>>
>>53813414
Duh, whoops.
>>53812941
>>53814657
How 'bout Shield Generators instead of drones?
>>
Might be the thread to ask... How does one build a devilfish hull without it being a seam-covered mess?
>>
>>53817023
Liquid green stuff is your friend.
>>
>>53816139
I'm. Not. Arguing. That. He wants to bring Crisis Teams, let him. He asked on how to kit them. Holy shit. Read the damned post. I agreeed with everything you said. Commanders are superior in every way to a Crisis teams.
>>
>>53817023
Get some actual proper putty, tamiya or milliput etc to make it much easier on you.
>>
>>53815604
I know you have to pay for the difference, but 16 points isn't a lot, and I figured it might be worth the utility of having 2 'extra' slots on a transport
>>
>>53791866
I'm with you fellow krootfag
>>
>>53816139
>Toughness:
>Commanders - T6

I wish
>>
>>53818945
Whoops my bad, misread that
>>
>>53818945
Iridium Suit pls
They wouldn't go and make a model for it and not bring it back, right?
>>
>>53819704
Let's wait for the codex. I've read it won't take long for ours
>>
>>53819780
Tau got some releases in 2015 right? We probably wont get a codex until 2018 or 2019
>>
>>53819864
Dunno, man. I think they want to put people on the same level as soon as possible. Primaris Marines and Death Guard will get their codexes by July or August; I think at least 2-3 others will get theirs until the end of the year.
>>
>>53819921
Nids and Orks are rumoured to get their books in 2018

Aside from Primaris and Nurgle there have been no rumours of other 40k releases this year. It actually seems far more likely theyll jump back into AOS for a bit and do a Nurgle release there, using a lot of the same models from the 40k release. They did the same thing with Khorne and Tzeentch.
>>
>>53819780
Read what exactly?

>>53819864
Doubt they'll keep anyone waiting 4 years for any new stuff
>>
>>53819864
There's been a lot of whispers that most of the codicies are pretty much done and should be released soonish. My guess would be Q3.
>>
>>53820119
that Tau codex will be 3rd or 4th in line, but it was early rumours. I might be worng
>>
>>53819864
We got a codex "update" with Kauyon that added next to nothing, so it's on about the same level as orks getting formations in the updated WAAAGH! Ghazghkull.
I'm just wondering when the forgeworld imperial armour will come out, as it seems buying the index xenos isn't good for anyone, when tau stuff is coming out again soon after, it only has about half of the ork stuff, and the other factions have feck all units. I feel sorry for Deldar players, who have to see more space marines come out of FW every other day when they have literally 2 units.
>>
>>53821524
Recent rumours say Fires of Cyraxus will come out this year
>>
>>53821524
The case for Dark Eldar is more a matter of FW saying they won't make any more directly because Resin is super brittle even before you try and make stuff with the DEldar paper-thin-spikes aesthetic.

Personally, I'm just happy to still have rules for my Tantalus
>>
>>53821524
>>53821670
I hope it has more in it that we haven't seen yet. It's going to be weird if it's just the already updated rules from the index
>>
>>53766805
Blue Table Painting (I know) made a pretty cool all drone army years ago, good way to milk shekels out of your bitz box as well, there was a hammerhead drone as well.
>>
>>53821524
>We got a codex "update" with Kauyon that added next to nothing

Except, you know... two new, big, complicated suit kits, a complete overhaul of two aging mainstay kits (including a new troop choice in the process), a plastic HQ kit that completely replaced a relatively new finecast kit in record time, and formations so good people stopped bitching about space marines'...
>>
Tau commander with 3 plasma and 1 fusion? or is 4 plasma just better
>>
>>53823758
I have the conviction that specializing > multi-task.
I'd rather have one quad plasma commander and 1 quad fusion commander than a mix of the 2 in 1 model
>>
>>53823758
4 plasma seems like the better call. I feel like if you were to go for less than 4 of the same gun on a commmander, you'd be better off for support systems.
>>
>>53823794
>>53823894

plasma sucks for tau though
>>
>>53824373
Not overly so. Of note, it is still one of the cheaper options as far as ranged weapons go, and it has fine damage output against a lot of things. It also synergizes well with Early Warning Override. A commander could blast 6 shots into anything trying to deep-strike nearby with ease
>>
>>53824373
I'd rather using CIBs, but plasma is cheaper.
>>
Any more battle reports?
>>
>>53824432
Thank you!
>>
File: Overwatch_Elite.jpg (70KB, 380x632px) Image search: [Google]
Overwatch_Elite.jpg
70KB, 380x632px
Are Breachers better used offensively or defensively? How well do they synergy with the Devilfish?
>>
File: TauWeapons2.jpg (98KB, 657x892px) Image search: [Google]
TauWeapons2.jpg
98KB, 657x892px
Rail or Ion Rifles for Pathfinders?
>>
>>53827964
Ion to supplement a larger squad that's part of a gunline, Rail for a smaller lone team to go hunt vehicles and heavy infantry.
>>
File: T'au Empire - 1480pts.jpg (511KB, 1800x2059px) Image search: [Google]
T'au Empire - 1480pts.jpg
511KB, 1800x2059px
How do I make an efficient T'au mech list? Are hammerheads a better option for support? Which one is more cost-efficient: A Strike "firebase" (rifles+turret) or a Broadside?
>>
>>53828460
Why put a VT on a commander...?
>>
>>53827877

Offensively, or counter-offensively.

Load them in a Devilfish with Darkstrider and go fuck up some suckers.
The synergy from the Devilfish simply allows them to reliably get within 5" for maximum MEQ fucking.
>>
>>53766805
Riptide drone when?
>>
>>53830014

Put scraps and garbage sprues on a base
>>
>>53827877
They were part of a rapid response force for me. I scooted up a fish to block the charge or force the charge of Slugga Boyz, next turn it dropped off the Breachers and pulled back. They annihilated a Skorcha and absorbed a charge next turn. That's pretty much all they can do unless you set up some GGOverwatch. Overwatch is still hard unless you can get Flamers in range. Don't forget to throw Photon Grenades. That -1 to hit could save the squad.
>>
Has anyone found a way to use more than 2 Broadsides or more than 1 Riptide? I'm wondering if I should sell off some of my extra models
>>
>>53833198

Play bigger games.
>>
File: farsight aunva.jpg (225KB, 1506x998px) Image search: [Google]
farsight aunva.jpg
225KB, 1506x998px
Has anyone tried Farsight yet?

I know he'll probably get his ass kicked by any actual CC character, but I'm interested if he can be viable.
>>
File: 2000pts Stormsurge.jpg (890KB, 1800x2737px) Image search: [Google]
2000pts Stormsurge.jpg
890KB, 1800x2737px
Step into my castle
>>
>>53833284
I would swap the EWO for counterfire defense systems

30% accuracy on overwatch is nasty with stormsurges
>>
>>53833268
He can't touch vehicles any more, as he's only S4, and he lost the natural advantage of decent initiative + great AP.
Plus he lost every unique rule, except he lets you waaagh twice now.
He's shit and I half regret buying a month ago but WAIT FOR THE CODEX GUISE
>>
>>53834236
>s4
>ap4 d3
For what purpose

The AP/damage screams "hit big monsters/vehicles with this" but s4 is pathetic
>>
Is Early Warning Overdrive worth the pts for this edition? Which units and weapons are the best choices?
>>
>>53834264
Damage of more than 1 seems to be randomly assigned, with both horde-clearers and big-thing killers getting multiple wounds per shot for some unknowable reason.
Farsight's statline screams terminator/meganob killer to me, but he'll get krumped the second he gets hit back, and D3 damage is very unreliable, it's statistically worse than 2 damage due to randomness.
>>
>>53834326
>Damage of more than 1 seems to be randomly assigned
No its not

How could you possibly come to this conclusion

Read the rules again
>>
>>53834289
It can stop melee charges for a turn

Shooting deep strike units wont care because theyll just deploy out of its range

I dont think its worth it outside of specific units with specific battlefield roles, like a Ghostkeel that is protecting a flank.
>>
File: T'''''au E''mpi'''re 3000 pts.pdf (593KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
T'''''au E''mpi'''re 3000 pts.pdf
593KB, 1x1px
Rate my 3000 points Tau list? The game is against Necrons (warrior heavy, a lot of scarabs, a monolith, command barges and ghost arks plus tomb blades, wraiths and deathmarks).

Of course suggestions and corrections are more than welcome.
>>
>>53834236
he's S5, his weapon ignores any 3+ armour (most vehicles have this or worse) and he does average 2dmg per attack

he's damn scary to small vehicles
>>
>>53834289
with the range limit, it works more like a 'fence', holding off deep strikers and outflankers from your zone. It works well on a Stormsurge
>>
>>53834516
I cant think of any medium vehicles that are lower than T6. He is always going to be wounding vehicles on 5s

There are some lighter crafts like Pirahnas that are T5, but since Farsight only has an 8" move and cant run+charge so he lacks the ability to catch these smaller vehicles

I would rather just shoot them out of the sky with a Broadside than try to chase them down with Farsight

Gotta wait for a codex to make Farsight great again
>>
>>53834574
Aeldari factions have T5 vehicles
Also, the best way to drop him is via Homing Beacons
>>
Everyone is just waiting on codices to fix things
>>
>>53836827
The main thing any codex is gonna offer is just relics, warlord traits, rules for chapters/regiments/etc., and maybe a few more detailed special rule changes.

I'm looking forward to them for customization, but that's about it
>>
ForgeWorld is excited to sell us suits and more suits
They must like selling suits
>>
>>53797968

Burst cannons + Automated targeting is pretty cool, throw lots of dice and shred armour with AP-1

Really anything + Automated targeting is pretty cool, some missile launchers running around with them are a good harass unit
>>
>>53766805
Hello Tau Players, I'm going to start a new army for 8th, torn between Tau, and Nids

How does an all suit Vanguard Army look?

I was thinking:
A Coldstar Commander, 3x XV8, 6x Stealth Suits, a Ghost Keel, and 3x CV88. Just as a starting point.
>>
>>53839712
I like suits
therefore, I like this
>>
>>53840156

FW preview for Tau just says battlesuits and battlesuits
>>
>>53840128
Crisis suits are in a odd new edition limbo right now. They are outperformed by commanders and hard. They might improve with the codex. Riptides are really expensive, the jury is out if they are still worth it. Otherwise playing gundams is ok.
>>
File: AuxilliaryAllies.png (332KB, 574x664px) Image search: [Google]
AuxilliaryAllies.png
332KB, 574x664px
>FW showing their strong support for aux aliens
>>
>>53841586
Ive seen lots of people use them with 2x Missile Pod and 1x Flamer to great success.
>>
I've been looking at the mathhammer calcs. It's kind of glaring how meh Crisis suits have become. They were once the bread and butter (and Farsight Enclaves' main selling point was being able to take them as troops instead of elites).

Now they're just too expensive for what you get. Commanders are strictly better, and the only reason you'd take normal crisis suits is if you're trying to fill some organization slot.

It doesn't make sense from a crunch or a fluff standpoint. Ordinary fire warriors are BS 4+. Crisis suits, who are supposed to be the cream of the crop from strike team veterans...are also BS 4+. Commanders are BS 2+.

Just making the XV8s have a BS 3+ would go a long way to making them cost effective
>>
So, looks like the digital copy of FW Index Xenos is already been released to those pre-ordering it. Anyone got a copy to share with us?
>>
>>53842258
Theyre still very good, even at their price point

Their power comes from the ability to deploy off the board and come into play anywhere you want, survive a significant amount of enemy damage, and fly away from combat any time they want.
>>
>>53842258
Yeah. I was thinking bs3+ crisis suits too. But then it would get wierd when broadsides, stealth suits, ghostkeels and riptides arent bs3+ too because they too are piloted with similarily skilled dudes. But I'm fine with seperating fluff and rules for this issue.
>>
>>53842343

No?
It says it releases next week
>>
>>53842720
Index Imperium is already been leaked in /40kg/
damn, gotta wait one extra week...
>>
>>53842741

Ugh I know
I wanna see dem superheavy stats
>>
>>53842612
If you read the fluff for enclaves Broadsides are kind of like Devastator training for Ultramarines. They are the first suit to be trained in since they are removed from the thick of things.

>>53842258
It's strange that they didn't have reduced prices for weapons/systems for suits, or increased prices for characters. They did this with Marines for storm shields, power fists, thunder hammers, etc. but not for Tau.

I've always rationalized the lack of increased BS for non-commander suits being that once they complete infantry training their time is spent mastering piloting/control of the battlesuits, and not on their marksmanship. Once they've become accustomed to piloting the suits they improve in marksmanship through experience, leading to commanders. Fireblades and Firesights are the Tau that take the AM Veterans path, staying as infantry and training in marksmanship.

It'd be nice if they still had a support system that gave increased BS though, as it looks like it still (passively) exists for vehicles.
>>
Is there anything else really good aside from commanders?
>>
>>53847122
Time will tell, but thus far it seems like Stealth Suits bring a lot of utility for a reasonable price. Homing beacons allow you to ignore the 9inch rule for manta strike. Which means dropping suits with flamers/fusion blasters in optimal range for ambush.

Gun drones give you a lot of firepower on the cheap.
>>
File: T'au Empire - 1150pts.jpg (491KB, 1800x1501px) Image search: [Google]
T'au Empire - 1150pts.jpg
491KB, 1800x1501px
Well?
>>
File: 8th tau.png (106KB, 676x2099px) Image search: [Google]
8th tau.png
106KB, 676x2099px
So how's my list
Full fusion keel seems a bit wasteful compared to fusion commander so I kitted him out to annoy infantry, though are burst cannons worth it for 10" extra range and +1 strength in exchange for 3 hits less?
>>
File: flash gitz.jpg (127KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
flash gitz.jpg
127KB, 720x540px
>>53808909

>Orks
>being strong

I'm curious to as what lead you to that conclusion - can you elaborate?
>>
So by all ruling, Stealth Suits can take a Homing Beacon AND a Shield Generator.
>>
>>53797968

I'd give the Crisis sergeant a drone controller and Automated targeting + A weapon of your choice, flamer to ward off assaults or Ion gun for close range fire fights or probably a missile launcher.

Give the rest of the squad duel Missile launcher + Automated targeting and bubble wrap with a squad of duel carbine drones.

The suits use their Missiles and good damage/pen values to shoot up targets the drones would have trouble with, you'll wound most vehicles on 4+ or better, with D3 damage per wound and the vehicle never able to take better than a 4+ save, and with 48 pulse shots from the drones they'll do serious damage to most light targets and can have wounds from the suits shoved onto them. Those drones are running you 8pts per head, so a full squad is still only 96 pts (which is actually less than the cost of a duel missile + ATS Crisis suit), and effectively gives your suits 12 more wounds, a massive increase in survivability if you offload multi-damage shots onto, since even damage 5 will only kill one drone.

And build the Fire warriors with rifles if you want them to cap objectives in your or the enemies deployment zone, carbines aren't great and only really give you the same number of shots as rifles at 3" farther range and let you shoot a -1 BS after running, which isn't great, but Breacher heads with Carbines looks cool, so a squad with carbines in a devil fish advancing behind your drone wall/suit shock troops is a good way to hold ground you take by blasting the other guy off it or mop up weaker units while your front line advances.
>>
>>53847122
Everything is good.

>>53850401
Yes, and? Theyre the only unit in the game that can take homing beacons
>>
>>53850401
Yes, -1 to hit, 2W, 4++. Add in a lucky photon grenade hit and you can troll power claws/fists for days.
>>
>>53847122
Ghostkeel, Pathfinders, Strike/Breacher teams, and Stealth Suits have been pretty good workhorses for me. Broadsides, they do their share too. Didn't help that I used only half the number of shots I could have used and didn't take EWO and CDS.
>>
File: middle-aged-black-man-18395310.jpg (61KB, 301x450px) Image search: [Google]
middle-aged-black-man-18395310.jpg
61KB, 301x450px
>>53766805
>broadside
>all weapons pointed forward
>>
>>53850401
homing beacon never was a support system
>>
Are EBay prices for Tau low or is it a meme?

Always loved Tau fluff and look, this seems the time to jump in
>>
>>53851148
>Didn't help that I used only half the number of shots I could have used
???
>>
Ok, the new FAQ states that plasma/ion gets hot triggers after modifiers. That'll put some extra OOMPH on photon grenades, stealth suits and ghostkeels.
>>
>>53852038

Broadside as in, cannot hit broadside of a barn.
>>
>>53855460

lol that'll be funny
How can photons effect shooting though? Aren't they used against chargers?
>>
>>53853771
$25 for strike team New On Sprue is decent. Stealth suits should be around the same. If you can get crisis suits for $40 thats pretty decent as well. For a riptide or ghostkeel around $50-$65 new is also decent.

If you find used models for cheaper, even better.
>>
>>53855530
Well if you ever charge yourself.
Thread posts: 266
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.