[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HFY thread, because i miss them

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 29

File: 1463346839722.jpg (41KB, 552x696px) Image search: [Google]
1463346839722.jpg
41KB, 552x696px
>oxygen is a very dangerous chemical used in rocket fuel and chem bombs
>humans breathe oxygen
would humans be the bogans of the universe?
would alien captains be paranoid about human stowaways huffing their gas?
>>
>>53761267
We also inhale hydrogen, which is automatically dangerous.
Do we inhale an 80/20 H/O mixture? Or was it 20/80...
>>
>>53761267
>>oxygen is a very dangerous chemical used in rocket fuel and chem bombs
Every time I see this, it pisses me off more. Yes, if you want combustion, you need an oxidizer. Oxygen is also the third most common element in the universe, which means that most alien life will be using it as well.

This shit's one step above "we drink rocket exhaust lmao".

>>53761352
It's ~80% Nitrogen, ~20% Oxygen. N2 is notable for being one of the most chemically boring things we've found in nature. There's probably some trace amounts of Hydrogen, but if there was enough to start a significant reaction, every time someone flicked a lighter there'd be a massive fireball.
>>
>WE BREATH ROCKET FUEL AND FART POISON
Already a good start.
>>
>>53761418
>third most common element in the universe
wouldn't that be lithium?
>>
>>53761425
>>53761418
Why does HFY seem like such reddit posting now?
Has it always been this cringey and I just didn't realize it before?
>>
>>53761432
That is not how the periodic table works.
>>
>>53761449

People take the cringe to heart more than the good stuff. And there is good stuff.
>>
>>53761432
Weirdly, no. That's because the second step of stellar fusion has Carbon and Oxygen as its products, and the lighter elements are made in rarer processes (Lithium IIRC is mostly made in brown dwarves). It's not really common sense if you look at the periodic table, but the universe doesn't care how we arrange our charts.
>>
>>53761449
i dunno why they're taking it so far, this wasn't meant to be a "man, we so awesome" circlejerk, just a stupid conjecture about retards huffing fuel

well, inside a star
- H+H=He
- H+He=Li
- He+He=Be
so would it not be lithium?
>>
>>53761418
N2 is still more fun than argon.
>>
>>53761496
No, because Li+Li=C, which is more stable.
>>
>>53761496
Most stars actually skip lithium, beryllium, and boron, moving straight to carbon. It's called tripple-alpha process.
>>
>>53761510
gotcha
am just a lowly engineer, all this star stuff seems wildly inconvenient to me
>>
>>53761496
>>53761510
Also, beryllium itself is rather rare, because two berylliums are more stable as one oxygen.
>>
>>53761267
No, the real threat is humans are horny little retards and would fuck them, their flora, their fauna, and then them again. At the same time.
>>
You know what I think would be fun to focus on for HFY? Human qualities that are already special or uncommon among other animals.

Like, most aliens out there might breath oxygen or drink water, but I daresay many of them might find our eager consumption of a potent neurotoxin (caffeine) as monstrous, or our ability to burp surprising (many animals can't burp.)
>>
>>53761574
You need to see from which animals aliens evolved.

Say aliens that evolved from ambush predators may consider humans as hyperactive freaks with insane stamina.
>>
>>53761574
I don't think anything larger than a chicken would consider caffeine a potent toxin.
>>
>>53761672
the stuff that makes peppers spicy is the same that's in pepper spray all the way up to bear grade
>>
>>53761574
I think the idea that an alien race would find the consumption of spicy foods barbaric is a cool idea.

Not "THEY DRINK POISON AND SHIT EXPLOSIVES" levels, just "why the fuck would they hurt themselves like that?" One of my favourite HFY stories was about an alien tasting human cuisine
>>
>>53761449

Fanwank and headcannon are being confused for meaningful content and the little ones can't tell the difference.
>>
>>53761698
Capsaicin is a different beast. It's tailored to fuck with mammals. Birds and reptiles can't even taste it.
>>
why are we so terribly alone?
we haven't even found basic cells around
how come we haven't had any contact?
>>
>>53761741
What would be meaningful content?
Closest I can think is Old Man's War and Hymn Before Battle.
Most "good" HFY focuses of Humanity being pretty good at killing. But I doubt that an alien species would dominate their planet and their own sector of space without being pretty killy in their own way.
>>
>>53761418
Don't talk shit about muh nitrogen waifu, I'm writing a patent on a new nitridation process.

On that matter nitrogen is a very useful gas.
>>
I consistently find myself surprised at the legitimate knowledge I pick up here.
>>
>>53761267
>LE OXYGENZ IS LE CORROSIVE MAY MAY

I hate this one the most. Yes, humans are pretty robust. You can lose a lot of blood before dying, and just basic first aid will leave you a lumpy mess, but alive from almost any injury that isn't instantly fatal. But come on.

>oxygen is a very dangerous chemical used in rocket fuel and chem bombs
You can blast something, most things, almost anything, with a tank of oxygen and nothing will happen to it other than the mechanical effects of strong wind of any sort. Oxygen is "used in rocket fuel" because you need oxygen for combustion, not because oxygen is itself explosive or energetic. In fact, HHO burners, which basically use the gasses from electrolyzing water, are among the weakest and least efficient kinds of burners/engines you can have because hydrogen is so un-energetic (since it's such a simple molecule) and there's actually TOO MUCH oxygen for optimal combustion if you dont scrub some of it out.

A lot of this HFY stuff strikes me as the writer not understanding the thing they're gushing about.

>>53761698
OC spray contains capcaisin, but it also contains other agents and the capcaisin is condensed. There's more of it in a dose of OC spray than there is in some of the hottest peppers. It's kinda why it's a weapon, and even a prohibited one in a lot of places.

>>53761756
IDK much about reptiles, but birds probably can't taste it because their diet is made up of tons of horrible harsh acidic/poisonous shit that other animals can't stand the taste of and will probably throw up after an hour.
>>
>>53761449
>Has it always been this cringey and I just didn't realize it before?
yeah

kinda like 40k
>>
>>53761773
Maybe life is just dang hard to get to work. Maybe we're the first, destined to spread life across the universe. Maybe we're in alien zoo.
>>
>>53761837
>theres "don't feed the monkeys" signs il the oort cloud
>they are facing outward
>>
>>53761837
well, if earth is anything to go by life ain't impossible
and the universe is yuge, impossibly so
and old as fuck... seems awfully convenient to be alone
>>
>>53761773
Life as complex as hours takes a long time to get going, let alone get going well enough to be space-faring. If there's other life out there, it's probably as primitive as we are or worse.

can't WAIT to domesticate and bang some alien doggos and big kitties tho
>>
>>53761871
there's a single, lonely guard house on the border of the oort cloud. These are their stories. They mostly involve drunk turists being dicks.
>>
>>53761872
Yeah, it's weird. There should be a ton of aliens.
>>
>>53761267
HFY sucks, isn't traditional games, and you are a reddit faggot.
>>
>>53761872
It's also impossibly old, and life presumably takes a while to mature.

We might be some of the first living things in the universe, for all we know.
>>
>>53761872
We have only single sample and as such can't know the chances for evolution of sapient life.
>>
>>53761884
well, we're not even really "space faring" and probably never will be
but we did at least try to send radio signals and voyager and now cassini too, in an effort to make contact
>>
>>53761981
>probably never will be
fuck that noise, it's gonna happen someday. Even if we have to go the generation ship route, we'll conquer the galaxy.
>>
File: HumanityFuckYeah.png (41KB, 1327x400px) Image search: [Google]
HumanityFuckYeah.png
41KB, 1327x400px
>>
>>53761872
>>53761934
Keep in mind, even if there were aliens at Alpha Cen (which is unlikely, but not impossible) that wanted to communicate with an alien species (they might) that only exists theoretically (imagine getting funding for that), they would need a device that could create a signal that could be identified as being not from the star itself at a distance of 4 light years (possible, but difficult), and it would then take 4 years to reach us. Replace all that with a more likely distance of 50 light years at least, and remember that they're probably at a similar tech level as us, and you have why we're looking for chemical reactions and not big neon space signs.
>>
>>53761981
Well, all we really need is a cheaper (per use) way to launch shit in orbit, like a gigantic railgun.
>>
>>53762003
>generation ship
that's so bleak though
>>53762025
it's no use if we can't do shit once you're up there
and dV needed to break free of the earth's gravity is the same, whatever your propulsion may be
>>
>>53762095
>and dV needed to break free of the earth's gravity is the same,
and how you get it is cheaper, and btw dV shit-ass neckbeard term for "acceleration"
>>
>>53761267
Can you guys take this back to r/HFY?
Or to /b/?

This has absolutely nothing to do with tradtional games except in the most tangential manner possible, and worse still, this is some of the dumbest pseudo-scientific forced conversation I've seen yet.

You should be ashamed of yourselves.
>>
what would a plant civilization be like?

how do you avoid having aliens as monocultural fancy colored humans?

>>53762018
>STRICTLY no fun aallowed

>>53762116
dV is the proper term and burning fuel on the spot is way cheaper than burning coal somewhere else, storing the energy in a battery and then getting it through an electromagnet
>>
>>53762095
Except it's pretty fucking retarded to use most of your spacecraft weight and volume for fuel when you can at least try to alleviate this trough infrastructure.
>>
>>53762153
>ey, you know what vladimyr?
>what pyotr?
>what if istead of carry fuel in rocket we put under rocket?
both soviets and americans thought about this before realizing how retarded it would be to strap people to a literal bullet

>>53762150
>>53762018
>>53761944
>>53761820
>board culture is baaaad, go away i need to shill my 11th thread about femmarines
>>
>>53762152
>use fuel to prop up 700 tons of spacecraft
>end up with 20t of useful shit in orbit
I'm pretty sure anything electrical would have a better yield.
>>
>>53762152
>dV is the proper term
dV is LITERALLY acceleration. Just like "reaction mass" is just fuel, and the only reason they don't use the word "fuel" is because of neckbears like you
>>
>>53762025
It'll be space elevators (assuming nanotubes ever actually pay off) and orbital constriction, not building ships on the surface and launching them.
>>
>>53762152
actually rocket fuel is massively expensive and it's not like you can't get cheap/clean electricity from things like hydro or nuclear.

Economy of scale alone makes plugging it in to the wall cheaper than using fuel; if it weren't, we'd all use rocket fuel to heat our homes and power our ovens instead of just having the occasional 220v rail in the kitchen.
>>
>>53762245
space elevators are 100% impossible
not even nanomemes can withstand the force they'd require
>>
>>53762227
>both soviets and americans thought about this before realizing how retarded it would be to strap people to a literal bullet
I'd like to see how. I mean, a rocket is litteraly just a missile. Hell those are done in the same factories.
>>
>>53762227
>my gay and dumb offtopic shit is 'board culture'

It's fags like you that helped get these threads banned in the past. Hopefully the mods will stop sitting around and ban you spamming redditors already.
>>
File: 1493801962314.png (58KB, 245x260px) Image search: [Google]
1493801962314.png
58KB, 245x260px
>>53762152
> "dV is the proper term"
> acceleration is somehow not "the proper term"
>dV/dt = a
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>53762272
Well technically dV isn't a proper term, it's just slang.
>>
>>53762270
>muh reddit
go post more furries in the pf thread, instead of bumping our oh so hideous thread
>>
>>53762260
Eeeh, probably.

You're still looking at constructing your ships in orbit if you actually want to go anywhere though, and probably ferrying crew up on something closer to the virgin spaceplanes than a conventional rocket.
>>
>>53761267

/tg/ would have been so much better off if this had turned into a classic blunder thread. More hands on thighs please.
>>
>>53762282
I've honestly never seen dV used outside of an equation in anything actually reputable. It seems more like /k/ and /tg/ just prefer using it instead of "acceleration" to sound smart.

Kinda like how tacticool mallninja nerds are obsessed with "slicing the pie" (i.e. "looking where you're going" to normal people)
>>
>>53762291
Or you could use a big honkin' gun. If you're shooting up something like a satellite or probe, it's not like it's really that awful that it'll experience some stress.

In fact, surviving that kind of thing is literally why electronics are so flat instead of being cylinders and cubes, it has nothing to do with the structure of chips or other components, it's so you can lay them flat and they don't shear off of boards under stress if the board is showing its working face to that stress
>>
>>53762272
>dv = dv/dt
Ayy.
>>
>>53761449
It's sad that everything that originated on 4chan either got ripped off by reddit or kicked out of 4chan where it fled to reddit because 4chan loved being the hate machine more than it loved it's own creations.
>>
>>53761267
Honestly i prefer the culinary HFY's, a far more light hearted tone and still within the category
>>
>>53762268
>>53762259
>>53762153
you still need some way to circularize, nevermind the huge stress that you'd ecounter by having all that force applied in a single instant.
you'd burn up in the atmosphere
>>
>>53761267
Oxygen is useful for breathing for the same reason its useful as a rocket fuel. It has a lot of potential energy reactions.
>>
>>53762310
dV alone is analoguous to a speed, not an acceleration. Calling it dV is litteraly false. A scientific paper would just use acceleration.

>>53762333
>dt=1
Nigga you're onto something
>>
>thread was meant to be a Humanity Fuck You where humans are seen as drunks at best and pest at worst
>fags complain about self grandizing
>>
>>53762391
>dV alone is analoguous to a speed,
no that's just "V"

do you know what the d is for? it's not for your mum, it's something else in this case
>>
>>53762310
dV is your maximum speed in vacuum without application of outside forces that you can squeeze out of your ship.

Acceleration is how fast you can spend your dV.
>>
>>53762391
It would be more likely to use "change in velocity" because that's what it represents. It would also normally use the uppercase delta, since that's what represents "change in," but I don't feel like pulling it from anywhere.
>>
>>53762413
d stands for a difference between two speeds. A difference of two speeds is still a speed you humongous high scool dropout retard.
>>
>>53762443
no, otherwise it would be just V
insteat is dV, differential of speed
you cockmunchin', insult swingin', board ruinin', trap fappin', captcha failin', dice fudgin'
>>
File: stopkey.jpg (47KB, 600x588px) Image search: [Google]
stopkey.jpg
47KB, 600x588px
>>53762425
>dV is your maximum speed in vacuum
>>
>>53761267
Pretty sure that if aliens existed, they would have bigger things to worry about than a fuck-off species such as humans who can't even leave the sol system.
>>
>>53762443
A difference in speeds is literally, by definition, acceleration. (or deceleration but deceleration is still acceleration in a scientific context and deceleration is only really used in automotive fields)
>>
>>53762425
>dV is your maximum speed in vacuum
THIS IS WHAT /tg/ (and probably /k/ since they always crossboard here) ACTUALLY BELIEVE
>>
>>53762530
see, you're getting it now
now how do abductees fit in your headcanon? .^)

>>53762545
no, acceleration is the gradient by which those speeds change
>>
>>53762501
But a differential of speed is still measured in m/s (and therefore is a speed itself), whereas an acceleration is in m/s^2
>>53762545
>A difference in speeds is literally, by definition, acceleration
Please complete your high school.
>>
File: 1433099049749.png (29KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1433099049749.png
29KB, 480x480px
>>53762545
>
Yes, because something that goes from 10 m/s to 5 m/s in 5 seconds definitely experiences the same acceleration as one that goes from 10 m/s to 5 m/s in 5 years.
>>
>>53762567
Man...
Drop a ship in an intergalactic space and make it accelerate. If it's end speed relative to Earth will differ from it starting speed on more m/s than it's dV you will get a Nobel prize. Just don't forget to account for gravity and hydrogen friction.
>>
>>53762583
yes, but you want to know that yous spacecraft will go from 0 to 1200 in the same way as it will go from 13500 to 14500

DOES NOBODY PLAY KSP IN THIS THREAD?
JESUS CHRIST THESE ARE THE BASICS
>>
File: 1468082816716.png (161KB, 380x498px) Image search: [Google]
1468082816716.png
161KB, 380x498px
>>53762425
>dV is your maximum speed
>Acceleration is how fast you can spend your dV

american education everyone
>>
>>53762617
No seriously get the fuck out this website is 18+
>>
>>53762583
>But a differential of speed is still measured in m/s
if you are changing speed it's m/s per some other unit, usually time, which what acceleration is (m/s/s or m/s^2 if you forgot)
>>
>>53762568
>aliens crash on Earth
>can't repair their ship without some critical components
>go to a nearby human village for help
>damn apes take the aliens prisoners instead of contacting the scientists to help them repair their hyperdrive in order to go back to their Galaxy

So in short... alien slave, what do?
>>
>>53762617
forget the 2, my finger slipped
>>
>>53762642
>it was the authorities and scientists who took the aliens slave all the time
i like it
>>
>>53762638
Do you know how to read ?
>>
>>53762613
This isn't even a statement. Those are just words that you don't know the meanings of.

>more m/s than it's dV
something's end speed can be a higher value than its acceleration if it accelerates slowly but constantly for a long time. It's not even hard math, it's literally just a 2nd power polynomial

you'd need something higher than high school to do the proper summations but suffice to say that the limit of nt^2+mt+c is infinity, and the sum of all things on that line from zero until infinity will also be infinity because of that

like seriously do you know what dV stands for? it's "delta velocity", basically "the change in velocity", and "the change in velocity" is literally by dictionary definition acceleration, it's just how these words relate to eachother
>>
>>53762624
Yes it is. Relative to your starting speed.

If you need it to be spelled out to you then please end your school first. I can also go on about how it will differ if you start accounting for orbital movement, atmosphere friction and other shit but you probably will just sperg out anyway.
>>
>>53761872
The Reapers did it
>>
>>53761418
Nitrogen may be boring as N2 but fun things happen when you put *lots* of it together.
>>
>>53762705
>is literally by dictionary definition acceleration
But it's not, since acceleration is by definition dV/dt.
>>
>>53762705
Kill yourself please. Like immediately. You pollute my air.

Acceleration is a measure at which speed changes PER SECOND you imbecile. That's why V and dV are measured in m/s and Acceleration is measured in m/s^2
>>
>>53762706
dV is literally just not that and dV is delta velocity i.e. acceleration, not max speed

if you're actually looking at an object in abstract as a position function, dV is a fairly dynamic value. it's not a measure of fuel, it's not a measure of some other design of the craft, it's straight up just "delta velocity"
>>
>>53762749
have you ever taken even a basic physics course or do you just read about railguns on /k/ all day? a change in something's speed is still by definition an acceleration, even if it occurs over zero time. that's just what acceleration means. would you prefer if we had this discussion in french or spanish or something? you seem to be having trouble with words
>>
>>53762751
>v2 - v1 = a
>x m/s - y m/s = z m/s^2
>>
>>53762770
Difference in speed is not acceleration. Difference in speed over time is acceleration.
>>
>>53762770
>a change in something's speed is still by definition an acceleration

>Acceleration, in physics, is the rate of change of velocity of an object with respect to time. An object's acceleration is the net result of any and all forces acting on the object, as described by Newton's Second Law.[1] The SI unit for acceleration is metre per second squared (m s−2). Accelerations are vector quantities (they have magnitude and direction) and add according to the parallelogram law.[2][3] As a vector, the calculated net force is equal to the product of the object's mass (a scalar quantity) and its acceleration.
Granted, it's wikipedia.
>>
>>53762749
that sort measure of change in velocity is literally not even a useful figure since it conveys very little useful information. you may as well just say "V at t=whatever and V at t=whatever else"

when you use delta, it is over a continuous function at the closest possible points. you don't take delta anything over any given time where you don't care about the time elapsed, because literally what information does that give you that you didn't already know

dV is a rate of change, not a difference
>>
>>53762831
to have a change in speed, you kinda need time

what you're talking about is literally top speed, which dV is not (and is not really a useful way to communicate it as opposed to "top speed" since, again, dV is a value representing rate of change, and not a sheer difference)
>>
>>53762605
thanks for getting that they both experience acceleration, at least
>>
>>53762852
I'm not the guy you replied to but seriously, seriously you're retarded. A change of speed isn't equal to an acceleration mathematically. using dV to talk about an acceleration is physically and mathematically false.

An acceleration is defined by dV/dt. The reason it is useful in rocketry is because F=m*dt/dt where F is the sum of all the applied forces to a solid.

dV alone has nearly no mathematical sense because it is supposed to represent an infinitesimal change in speed, if you wished to say "a change in speed" it would be ΔV.
>>
This thread needs names.
These idiots need to brand themselves so everyone knows never to waste time listening to anything they say.
>>
>>53762567
Hey, don't lump us in here. We don't talk out our asses about shit we don't know about.
>>
>>53763037
>F=m*dV/dt
fixed
>>
>>53762330
Go home Jules Verne you're drunk
>>
>>53762425
No, anon, you're getting dV confused with delta-V. Delta-V is change in velocty, dV is rate of change in velocity.
>>
>>53762944
>implying they experience the same acceleration

>Two masses, each 1 kg, are in empty space an arbitrarily large distance from each other and stationary relative to some point. At t=0, m1 begins experiencing a force of 1 Newton, while m2 begins experiencing a force of 2 Newtons. The force on m2 ends at t=1, while the force on m1 ends at t=2.
What's the acceleration on and change in velocity of m1 and m2? This should take about 10 seconds and show why this whole argument is retarded.

>>53763037
Most people here are using dV because they don't feel like grabbing a delta sign just to argue on the internet. In an official setting, you would use delta.
>>
>>53763150
So type out delta-v like a normal person. Don't use a different symbol with a different meaning to represent delta-v.
>>
>>53762330
>In fact, surviving that kind of thing is literally why electronics are so flat instead of being cylinders and cubes, it has nothing to do with the structure of chips or other components, it's so you can lay them flat and they don't shear off of boards under stress if the board is showing its working face to that stress
This was a bit painful to read.
>>
>>53763037
>A change of speed isn't equal to an acceleration mathematically.
How do you propose changing speed without an element of time for that change to happen over?

>>53763150
>two things experiencing acceleration at all means they experience the exact same acceleration

So you think acceleration is some kind of constant then? Okay, yankee.
>>
>>53763219
The invention of flatpack electronics was so that they could survive going 2 spess.

Modern electronics made by people who don't have that concern come in all kinds of shapes and styles. But a lot of 60s electronics were made by fairly few companies, and basically all of them have that distinct chip shape because of that. Even resistors and indicator lights and shit; they're meant to go on a board and lay flat so they don't waggle off and have the solder fail and shit.
>>
>>53763346
>How do you propose changing speed without an element of time for that change to happen over?
You could do dv/dx or dv/dE and it wouldn't be false.
>>
>>53763038
upboated goon sire! this place should require logins and names like somethingawful and gaia online so we can be upstanding communities like those
>>
>>53763346
How you could get that from what I posted is a goddamn miracle of stupidity. A change in velocity is not, by itself, an acceleration, which should become obvious just by thinking for 5 seconds about that situation.
>>
>>53763435
It's more of it needs a way to brand people with dunce caps so that everyone recognizes that they're idiots not worth listening to.
This thread is that level of abomination.
>>
>>53763451
>A change in velocity is not, by itself, an acceleration,
How do you propose something changes velocity instantly? you need that time element to have a change in the thing's position function, which includes velocity and acceleration

like, this isnt even physics anymore, this is basic functions. how do you propose a function changes without its dependent variable changing at all?
>>
>>53761449
Most HFY has always been cringey shit for spastics, yeah.

>>53761496
>i dunno why they're taking it so far, this wasn't meant to be a "man, we so awesome" circlejerk, just a stupid conjecture about retards huffing fuel
you know that HFY stands for "Humanity, Fuck Yeah," right?

>>53761779
Well, there's the possibility that extraterrestrial sapients generally don't have the idea of a vehicle "click" with them because they didn't develop on a planet with an organism that, like the horse, was so well-suited to carry them around to better chase and throw things at their prey while being faster and more durable than them. So you could have most species developing means of teleportation, space drones, remote viewing devices, etc before they actually manage to make it to space themselves, and traveling that way, while as the only retards flying hunks of metal into space at huge costs we're also the only ones with immense mobile artillery. Superior weaponry by simple logistics rather than the typical "haha we eat flammable things and defecate flammable things, we r so badass huh" shit that actually has nothing to do with our relative combat prowess.
>>
>>53763519
That's not even what I'm arguing, you fruit. It's that a change in velocity isn't, by itself, equivalent to acceleration, because it doesn't account for time. symbolically:
>delta-v =/= a
>delta-v/delta-t = a
>>
>>53762018
I think there's a difference between confidence and pride, and I also think HFY is supposed to emphasize the former.
But I think I'm a romantic.
>>
File: Level With Me.png (94KB, 983x1319px) Image search: [Google]
Level With Me.png
94KB, 983x1319px
>>
File: plaque.png (111KB, 1270x528px) Image search: [Google]
plaque.png
111KB, 1270x528px
>>
>>53763549
You can't have a change in velocity without a time component because you can't have a change in position at all without a time component, and somethings position changing is what makes it have velocity

If you look at an object that's moving in a line (including curved lines), its position can be expressed as an everyday second power function f(t)=mt^2+nt+p, where mt^2 can be understood as the acceleration, nt as velocity, and p is its initial position. i actually didnt use c for the constant because i knew youd get triggered about speed of light c
>>
>>53763549
>a change in velocity isn't, by itself, equivalent to acceleration, because it doesn't account for time
all changes in the physical universe requires time to be greater than zero. If time is zero, then nothing is changing; therefore, every change of velocity accounts for time and is acceleration.
>>
>>53763122
You're even dumber than the person you're correcting.
>>
>>53763451
>a change in velocity is not, by itself, acceleration

Acceleration is actually a general term for all changes in velocity.
>>
>>53763451
>A change in velocity is not, by itself, an acceleration
nah dude thats actually literally the definition of acceleration

>>53763868
>plaque.png
man i thought this was gonna be about the stuff that forms on your teeth when you have bad hygeine
>>
>>53763979
Not at relativistic speeds. It changes to rapidity there.
>>
EDF is probably the best example for over-the-top FUCK YEAH that isn't a total curbstomp
star control's good for humans who are good, but not great
>>
>>53763911
>You can't have a change in velocity without a time component
You can tho.
>>
>>53764192
>a function can change without it changing
How, exactly?
>>
File: 20170612_181226.jpg (2MB, 1160x2064px) Image search: [Google]
20170612_181226.jpg
2MB, 1160x2064px
>>53763383
The real reason is that every microelectronics process is done on planar surfaces looking like this.
>>
>>53764229
Well they are now, but this was like the 50s man
>>
>>53764226
You can always express dt as a function of something else. Mathematically there is nothing forcing you to express a variation of speed as a function of time.
>>
>>53761449
>Has it always been this cringey
Yes.
>>
>>53764281
>Mathematically there is nothing forcing you to express a variation of speed as a function of time.
Actually there is, since the position function makes reference to nothing other than time, and time is a pretty independent variable. It just kinda marches on, regardless of how much energy you pour into something or how many dollars your child's life is worth or whatever.

It's pretty much entirely necessary to express newtonian motion in terms of time.
>>
>>53761574
>>53761628
Humans can climb pretty well.
>>
>>53764351
>It's pretty much entirely necessary to express newtonian motion in terms of time.
Again, you're wrong because you aren't thinking about the mathematical formalism. You can litteraly put any variable other than the time and it wouldn't be wrong. Thats why saying "dV" alone is entirely retarded. If you use a differential you always gotta notify which variable it is derivated to, like dV/dt or dV/dE.
>>
>>53762116

I bet you think electrons circle nuclei in neat circles too. Proudly displaying your simplified babby science doesn't make you cool friendo.
>>
>>53764487
>you aren't thinking about the mathematical formalism.
it is LITERALLY a function of time

>Thats why saying "dV" alone is entirely retarded. If you use a differential you always gotta notify which variable it is derivated to, like dV/dt or dV/dE.
Yet again, you misunderstand these retards -- they mean it as "Delta Vee", a change in velocity. i.e. literally just straight up acceleration
>>
>>53762150
>>53761944
I like it in a meta way. Retards of the universe pretending to be better than everyone else.
>>
>>53764543
Earth is space North Korea?
>>
>>53764574
more like Space America
>>
>>53764514
It doesn't change the fact that using dV as a change in velocity is entierly retarded.

Also velocity itself can be expressed without reference to time very easily, like energy.
>>
>>53761449
Yes absolutely. I was there at its very beginning on this board, and it was cringey from the moment it first drew breath.

Mainly because >>53761267 appeared within the first HFY thread ever and it's fucking retarded. Oxygen is the most common oxidiser in the universe, useful for its ubiquity not its strength.

From the very beginning HFY has been people focusing on all the wrong things that might be unusual about humans due to their poor grasp of physics, chemistry, or biology respectively. It's not even a bad paradigm or narrative framework, its just that its primary content creators are people who go out of their way to write very specifically about things that they don't understand that they know nothing about.

It's like a less entertaining version of those sermons about homosexuals increasing tectonic activity.
>>
>>53764666
True but you're arguing with strawmen of your own creation now

but feel free to go on believing that either dV or delta-V correlate to fucking max speed
>>
>>53761500
Argon is fun because it is remarkable in just how little it does. Also, any compound you make out of Argon is obscenely reactive because it so desperately doesn't want to be in a compound.

Nitrogen... well, you can react stuff with it if you try, but nothing much will happen mundanely.
>>
>>53764717
I actually don't know who I'm arguing with anymore but I sure know I never thought that dV was max speed.
>>
>>53764718
Both are extremely good gases for plasma etching.
>>
WTF is HFY?
>>
>>53764799
Humanity Fuck Yeah
>>
>>53764856
Holy shit what a faggot thread. GTFO
>>
>>53761574
Throwing things is literally unique to great apes, and humans are the only ape that can transfer force horizontally with a throw rather than just sort of lobbing stuff downwards accurately to leverage gravity.

Also, humans have a literally unique form of folate metabolism. It causes us many problems (In that we need to consume massive amounts of folate to kickstart our brain development and cannot easily extract it from regular every day food), but also is responsible for some neat side effects like various toxins that work upon the usual folate pathway being ineffective on us. It's why we can binge on chocolate.

But obviously folate isn't even a relevant topic when talking about extraterrestrial life, for the same reason that >>53761698 and >>53761820 need to stop being retards and listen to >>53761756. Capsaicin does nothing. It is not corrosive or toxic. All it does is bind to the temperature receptors in our cells and make them falsely believe they are being subjected to extreme heat. It doesn't even physically damage those cells beyond making them stressed.
>>
>>53764799
HFY stands for Humanity, Fuck Yeah.

Basically, it's the opposite of Lovecraftian Horror. Instead of humans being represented as pitiful and insignificant when compared to other beings in the universe, Humans are represented as having unique and noteworthy aspects compared to other beings.The traits that are often represented are ingenuity, human endurance/resilience (both physical and spiritual), propensity for violence, and being a "get stuff done" kind of species.
>>
>>53764718
Nitrates on the other hand are quite fun.
>>
>>53764918
It's for those who have nothign about themselves to feel good about, so they try to feel exceptional based solely on which species they happened to be born as.
>>
>Humans are seen as the aristocratic and condescending nobility of races
>This is actually because 90% of the galaxy breathes Methane and we go around constantly looking at other races as if they just farted.
>The subconscious result of our thinly veiled disgust affords us a position of privilege after 200 years of politicking
Worth scraping a fic together over or is it just bad fetish fuel?
>>
>>53764926

I'm always happy to see this one come up. I maintain that it is likely many aliens would not use projectile weapons to the same extent we do, assuming they used them at all. We evolved to make use of projectiles, it makes sense that we would continue to develop ever better projectile weapons, and it helps that our brains are hardwired to aim them. If an alien species evolved along the lines of a more average predator reliant on tooth and claw I don't think they would have the capability or the inclination for projectile weapons the same way we do.
>>
File: 1390975783009.jpg (94KB, 408x480px) Image search: [Google]
1390975783009.jpg
94KB, 408x480px
>>53765084
Well I mean, the concept is a breath of fresh air.
>>
>>53761500
>>53764718
>>53765027
>N2
>Argon
>Nitrates
All significantly less fun than Fluorine.
>>
>>53765125
>Be a colonist landing on luxurious xeno-jungle of Taalad VI
>Also known as "New Bresil"
>Some space faring civ tales me to fuck off because they were first
>Fuckyouxeno.jpg
>They declare war on us
>They use claws on their ships.
>Blast Xeno with railgun and focused energy weapons. Also with BRRRRRRRT just to have some fun.
>>
Why does HFY never focus on artistic achievements?
>>
>>53765172
CF4 my love
>>
>>53765172
Flurine is not comfy at all.
>>
>>53765125
I agree, although it is very difficult to concieve of the technology trajectory of weapons development for creatures that never used thrown weapons.

It's likely that from there, they would never have developed the bow. The crossbows and arbalests however, they could probably comprehend the use of, but they might never even develop the mechanism for them given they wouldn't use bows.

Like, it is a given that at a certain level of technology, the projectile weapons you can make so greatly outstrip the capabilities of the melee weapons you can make that even if your species don't have any instinctive understanding of projectile physics, you would choose to field the highly inaccurate but devastating projectile weapons in favour of melee anyway.

But I'm not sure where exactly that point is. Hell, there's also shit like guns: A race like this would definitely be able to make good use of gunpowder, and from there see the utility of guns, even if they mainly use shotguns or something to compensate for their approximate understanding of aim. But when would they develop gunpowder? Early fireworks weapons, mortars, maybe even cannons (Save as a form of improved battering ram) would be totally ineffective in their hands.
>>
>>53765235
Because it's so hard to write well. Think about it: if humans are the only race to have (highly developed) art and/or artistic expression, no other race in the galaxy is gonna be able to apreciate it. That makes for a really boring story.

This, by the way, is why there's so much HFY about food and cooking and alcohol: Any race with an olfactory system can appreciate food, even if it doesn't have any chefs.
>>
>>53765172
FOOF!
or Dioxygen Difluoride
A chemical so unstable it explodes by touching ice...or anything really.

http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2010/02/23/things_i_wont_work_with_dioxygen_difluoride
>>
>>53765235
Hmm, I think it was a part of "This Immortal" by Zelazny where aliens tried to buyout Earth from under humans to get their grabby hands on all the things humans created.

Though I may be wrong - it was a long time ago that I read it.
>>
>>53765335
Why not have them appreciate it the same way humans appreciate things from different cultures?
>>
>>53765193
>rammer ships
>built like woodpeckers
>a central core (the brain) surrounded by hard, dense mass
>>53765235
>he hasn't heard about filk
>>53765312
What about stuff like big cats
Pack hunters specialized in darting up to claw range even faster than what the prey can sense
>>
>>53765235
Macross actually should apply here. Especially since almost everyone is "humans".
>>
>>53765389
>Be a scavenger, doing great job in Taalad VI scrap yard from the last war
>Confident that my rail shooter and my flashlight will melt the Kitty scum
>Black balls emerge from hyperspace
>GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY.png
>Start firing.
>Nothing. The surface doesn't even get hot.
>Start sub FTL drive, I can outrun them.
>No I can't.
>Die by space balls collision

It would be terrifying.
>>
>>53765449
>not using the laser rifle to tame the spesscats
>>
>>53765449
It actually should be a great premise for soft spaceoperish sci-fi where everyone uses different and sometimes seemingly ridiculous approaches to space combat.
>>
>>53765235
It's hard to see how we actually could be that unique artistically. Unless every other species in the galaxy doesn't use fuzzy logic and actually uses objective fixed state problem solving for everything, in which case we would also be alone in the ability to appreciate our art, artistic ability doesn't seem to be very unique on Earth.

All the sufficiently sociable animals we know of have a good appreciation for art, and in fact we even know that reptiles and birds are pretty keen on certain kinds of human music. But at the same time, humans have for a long time been great fans of bird music. Fish make sculptures and carvings that suit our aesthetics. There's limitations for the frequency range of vision and hearing necessary to perceive it, but by and large art seems to be more universal than you would necessarily expect, for something seemingly maladaptive. But it's extremely likely that the ability to make art is basically one on one with the ability to appreciate it.

We also know that by animals disproportionately prefer art made by their own species because it's made with consideration to the mediums, colours, noises, smells etc. that they think are important. Humans have more developed art than animals so we can create photorealistic depictions, and the like, but we'd expect the same from any other species that has some free time due to technological development freeing them from constant labour, and animals don't see our paintings as "perfect" as we see them, since they often focus on other aspects of the piece like the texture or whatever, or its missing the obvious ultraviolet markings that would make it look like a real human etc.
>>
>>53765449
>Be Sol Empire
>Hear news of Horror Space balls ramming our ships, our stations and even some of our moms.
>FTL into Taalad System
>Balls everywhere.
>Backpedal into safety

>Decades later, we come with our own solution
>Bigger Balls of steel.
>Begins the biggest game of petanque in the history of the Universe.

>>53765468
That's why they rammed the poor bastard anon.
>>
>>53765172
well, it's pretty hard to be more fun than flourine and it's troupe of compounds
>>
>>53765495
>not hulking cylinders
>not playing spess billiard with your foe
>stars are holes
>>
>>53765360
Because human cultures have only been separated in development by only a few millennia, and still had regular (if infrequent) contact with eachother. For two species that evolved separately on different planets, any differences they have are bound to be incomprehensable.

That being said, now I wanna read/write some HFY where humans are the only race to appreciate other cultures. All the other races/empires are cultural pseudo-nationalists who love their culture and don't much care for the other cultures, then humans show up on the scene and start borrowing from everyone.
>>
>>53765502
Chlorine trifluoride

May the God have mercy on your soul.
>>
>>53765343
Was thinking of this article as well. Flourine is ridiculous, it reacts with noble gases and burns or even explodes stuff like bricks or wood ash, and the reaction products are often highly toxic
>>
>>53765521
>In the Grim darkness of the darkfuture
>There is only space billiard.

>>53765538
>inb4 Spacecats start spewing "Humans stole our ideas !"
>inb4 Centuries of lawsuits involving Galaxy wide copyright infringement about "Some dumb FTL" and the fact that "Dumb space apes can't imagine their own culture."
>>
>>53765235
Doesn't kill aliens.
>>
>>53765360
We appreciate art from different cultures because we have a cultural, AND instinctive framework to understand what art is.

A species with no concept of art would look at a painting and be like "Why the fuck did you make a really bad, low fidelity photograph out of reconstituted salts, and why is it here of all places, why are you wasting neural processor time for everyone who passes through this hallway?"

Also, actually the reason the Scramblers decide to destroy humanity in Blindsight. Having no sapience, and therefore no culture or framework to understand art, they receive human radio and television signals, which contain huge amounts of highly structured data but contain absolutely no useful scientific insights (galactic "society" is built around acausal trade between various boltzman brains that only break radio silence if they discover something directly useful, on faith that they will receive useful information if they listen to the others) so the only possible thing they can think of it of is an attack, a way to make those who receive it waste massive amounts of processing power trying to extract some useful insight from it, to no avail.
>>
>>53765449
I'm actually a big fan in scifi of using "In practice it didn't work out like we expected" as a plot device. Rather than "Hey, we discovered a new super material that allowed us to exceed the speed of light!" it's just "Yeah it was an understandable mistake that we ever believed that there was a limit to the speeds that things could travel." The notion that railguns and lasers, counter to expectations, end up being totally irrelevant and ineffective in space combat, is similar.

Probably my favourite was a friend's setting, which basically had the premise that we were very wrong in assuming Earth was a typical example of how life evolved. Not in the way that one faggy ass series had where everyone was seeded by another race except humans, but rather that the billions of years necessary for human life to arise is wholly atypical in the world at large. The notion was that usually:
- Basic life of some kind arises from primordial soup
- This life self improves rapidly and blankets the entire planet
- Part of this life mutates to feed on the rest, which causes it to develop a brain. This brain, while extremely primitive, is able to immediately grasp its circumstances in totality given sufficient calculation time (on the order of millenia), and realises that there is only a finite amount of resources on this one ball of rock it is on, so it will need to build a spaceship to leave so that it can eat whatever else is out there.
- The first animal sculpts a lineage of increasingly more intelligent creatures in its own image over the course of half a million years, who then research and document the technology necessary to get to other planets over the next few centuries, and then immediately do so with no division or argument whatsoever, having all been built for purpose and not actually having any individual drive to power as such.
>>
>>53761418
N2 is boring, but unstable nitrogen groups are what make up most high explosives.
>>
>>53765875
Got more about this setting ? Seems quite nice, but what are the differences existing between different aliens species ?
>>
>>53762018
>Being this cucked
>>
>>53766037
Going to bed now, but the differences between races are usually what they are made out of / resources they utilise, and their perspectives/thought patterns. Humans were unique for having fuzzy logic and approximate solutions to problems too difficult to calculate properly, something that other races built computers specifically to do because all of them that we met could intrinsically calculate arbitrarily large simple number interactions with ease and perfectly recall anything they'd chosen to remember, IE what our computers do.

Every single species will genocide another if it's worth the energy spent fighting them to take what they have, but ironically this made it easiest to form alliances with the 'least human' races because we didn't have as direct competition over resources with a race of statues made out of bismuth as we did with a race of fleshy world of goo basketball constructs, even though the latter were way less autistic.

The dudes we were friends with had basically already hit what their race considered to be the realisation of their raison d'etre, having constructed colonies out to the maximum distance that light lag allowed them to maintain good communication over, and seized enough energy sources to last them until the death of the universe if managed properly. From there on out all their industrial capacity was devoted to the construction of weapons to try and stop outsiders from damaging their perfect civilisation.
>>
>>53766797
WAIT! Before you go, what were alien computers like?

If they had shit like aproximations and abstract reasoning, could they become semi-sentient and, ironically, actually end up better at interacting with humans than the species that built them?
>>
>>53766797
But to contrast, there were "another" that didn't give a fuck about maintaining a coherent species or chilling out and had repeatedly exceeded their limits, split into different cultural groups that then speciated into different aliens, and then gone to war with themselves, in some kind of millennial scale self evolutionary process to create a perfect race of beings that seemed a little out of control. Not fun people to be around. Even fewer hobbies than the bismos (who would do stuff like learn professions they didn't need to do but liked the idea of in principle) unless you count coming up with unusual ways to kill stuff.
>>
>>53761267
The hand on the thigh in public is one of the most Chad things you can do, I'm surprised /tg/ isn't more triggered
>>
File: destroyed marble.jpg (239KB, 3500x2200px) Image search: [Google]
destroyed marble.jpg
239KB, 3500x2200px
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Humanity_Fuck_Yeah#Recommended_media_about_humans_kicking_ass

>The Muv Luv franchise
>Description fails to mention the Unlimited amount of times humanity went "fuck this," bombed the shit out of earth, and fled to another planet.
Good thing a certain someone is around to go "I want to see him again" and say fuck you to humanity giving up.
>>
>>53766925
Alien computers were pretty fucking weird. They had some odd properties like being unable to delete memory and constantly expanding their memory use over time so you have to either keep feeding them more raw material or destroy them then rebuild them after a point.

Their computers would just keep hitting themselves against a problem fruitlessly trying stupid shit, but once they got on a roll they very suddenly solve problems. It took them 6 months to successfully spoof an internet connection after being physically connected to a comms satellite and constantly pinging it. It almost immediately identified Wikipedia as what the aliens needed to know and after a few weeks passed it reverse engineered all human languages at once within a couple of hours of each other.

Their computers were able to predict human actions and emotions, but couldn't offer an explanation of them that would ever satisfy their bismuth masters. They weren't sapient or anything though. They just solved problems placed in front of them and used the understanding they gained to solve similar problems better in future. Effective computer operation was all about deciding which computers get given which problems, since they all have unique performance characteristics based on their service records and training data.
>>
>>53761418
We also drink Hydrogen Dioxide
>>
>>53767209
I sure hope not
You mean Dihydrogen Monoxide. The other one would be pretty explosive and possibly highly toxic
>>
>>53767166
One last fun fact: I suppose you could consider their relationships with individual computers the closest thing they had to our concept of pets. There's cause to become attached to them since they get better over time, they eventually have to be put down as they strain on resources, and the deep regret felt when they find a problem that their old computer could have understood for them is probably one of the closer feelings to grief and mourning they were capable of.

Because there was no diaspora of life on other worlds, they lacked a good understanding of companionship with different bit ultimately somewhat similar creatures. Like, I'm convinced that we could have convinced them that all mammals were just people choosing to be those shapes if they hadn't gotten into Wikipedia.
>>
>>53762018
Reddit go and stay go.
>>
>>53762150
Fuck off newfag, HFY is one of the last good things on /tg/.
>>
>>53763868
I like that one. Not cringy at all.
>>
Anyone has the "pbj in squeezable form" one?
>>
File: Ambassador.png (210KB, 1567x1372px) Image search: [Google]
Ambassador.png
210KB, 1567x1372px
This one's meh, but I like it. because I wrote it
>>
>>53767532

not that anon but HFY was always cringe inducing assburger material, the /tg/ equivalent of /x/'s skinwalker stories
>>
>>53767780
Fuck off back where you came
You're just being an edgy cunt, like the faggots complaining the auto boards has threads about bikes and planes, or that r9k has nothing to do with originality and anti spam bots
>>
>>53764685
i remember writing in a later thread about how humans were the most gullible short lived intelligent species and therefore were used by an exiled alien, as all conquering army. Ensuring all other empires were crushed but him and his pet humans (earth was destroyed). Thread was absolutely full faggots like you "cringing" on a board about fucking wizards and 40k.
>>
>>53761418
Not only is oxygen common, it's also excellent for grabbing electrons, which is the real reason it's so useful - and so dangerous.
>>
>>53767820

oh im sorry did I insult your autistic storytelling? are you reminded of your own shitty life when you cant read your poison breathing deathfart fanfiction? the CYOA thread or some reddit hugbox are just a few clicks away
>>
>>53767925
Autistic debating who has the the tism. Your all autistic harry.
>>
>>53767617
I don't know why but that one made me tear up a little.
>>
>>53765193
By the time anyone could develop math to go into space, they would be able to use this math to fire projectiles. Maybe they won't arrive to this concept the same way we did, but "let's load tiny unmanned ships on our ships that will fly and ram enemies and maybe explode" is a likely idea.
>>
>>53765125
I'm re-writing elves and dwarves from the ground up as seperate, nonhuman species for use in a setting, and Ive been thinking about throwing

Dwarves arent built even remotely for it, but Im on the fence about Elves. I've got them structionally built mostly like gibbons, with a bit of gorilla, treefrog, and squirrel thrown in in small measures to get something more lithe and person-sized and functional, but I don't know quite enough about biology to tell if it's a shape good for throwing or not. Since I figured long arms with tight mucles would make them adept at archery and spear-throwing, but wasnt sure if their joints would have the right shapes for it.

Would a long-limbed, tree-climbing arboreal race with a few thousands years of evolution dedicated to tool use and sapience be human-tier or better at throwing, or have negligible skill at it?
>>
>>53767700
I liked it, was quite funny. I expected more involvement with food or such human delicacies.
>>
>>53767335
I need to get some medical attention then
Bonus: we are adept at pretending to be retarded, no one knows what's going on.
>>
>>53761481
>HFY
>good stuff

Such as?
>>
>>53761944
fucking newfags, go lurk some moar
>>
>>53761267
No HFY here, sorry, you aren't allowed to feel good or empowered about anything, nerd
>>
File: %22lasting peace%22.jpg (116KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
%22lasting peace%22.jpg
116KB, 960x640px
>>53768906
>I expected more involvement with food or such human delicacies
I slightly based the room where the peace talks were happening off of pic related. I wanted it to just be the leaders, with as few other distractions as possible.
>>
>>53770699
>such as
both of these >>53763850 >>53763868 are great
>>
>>53771087
>feeling empowered by something you put no effort into achieving

Okay fatty, if that's all you have I guess
>>
File: 1324475029364.png (143KB, 1614x828px) Image search: [Google]
1324475029364.png
143KB, 1614x828px
>>53763868
Hrm, I have one vaguely similar to that in some respects vis a vis the ending and "human" languages on alien ships.
>>
>>53766958
I do it all the time
>>
>>53775494
Fondling your dad's dick doesn't count
>>
>>53761493

It's not like our charts are arbitrary, but yeah, it's counter-intuitive that lighter elements can be rarer.
>>
>>53762344

Alternatively, we eventually get bored of our OC after it has run its course, but people take it to parts of the internet where nothing can die with dignity.
>>
>>53762517
Maximum *change* in relative velocity, hence the delta. You need dV to go both increase and decrease your orbital distance.
>>
>>53762706

>if you can't best them with argument, baffle them with bullshit
>>
>>53762770

Something's speed can't change over no time. That's dividing by zero, senpai.
>>
>>53763196

dV is an abbreviation of delta-velocity. There is no other meaning except by people who don't know its meaning.
>>
>>53776621
>what is calculus
>>
File: Aformyouaremorecomfortablewith.jpg (35KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Aformyouaremorecomfortablewith.jpg
35KB, 1280x720px
>>53761267
Assuming we are still talking about HFY, and not how horrifying chemicals are in general. I'd shill the setting I occasionally did before.

I once ran a game with a custom setting for some of my friends, the most human like player race were essentially space elves, the second most being a sorta cross between the Split and the Lumeris from X and Endless space respectively. There were other races that were weirder, but it doesn't matter that much.
The PC's were Essentially Specters in the employ of the Federation like government. Key differences were that they Actually sat in on congress (When story relevant) as advisers.

They also sat next to the "Vicar". They were of extremely kind, compassionate temperament, and would always assist the party when it concerned saving lives. However, he always wore total body concealing robes, like pic related. They were told in no uncertain terms that they would not survive looking at him. They actually saw him reveal himself in offense once. The offender just turned to salt.
He also gave them jobs with odd goals, moving certain things into certain places, occasionally retrieving a Tome of Eldritch Lore that made it's way to the underworld that he needed to be rid of. Never anything harmful, infact sometimes there small actions butterflied out to have very positive effects.
The Secret of the setting was that there WERE humans, however, (And they did get loads of hints and the like, so this wasn't a total asspull.) The Christian Apocalypse has come and gone, and is currently in Jesus's thousand year reign. As humans had become spritual bodies made in god's image, they were utterly incomprehensible to normal lifeforms, and reactions vary from Lot's Wife to Burning.
The Vicar was just on particularly Passionate Medieval bishop who wanted to see if the other beings in the universe were moral, and got the go ahead from Christ to act as the ambassador.
Took them a while to figure it out, but they loved it.
>>
File: And we find you wanting.png (40KB, 1203x706px) Image search: [Google]
And we find you wanting.png
40KB, 1203x706px
>>
>>53776963
Cont
Now you may argue, that's not particularly HFY, but the basic point was that Humanity is by the scriptures the special snowflake race of the cosmos, and I just extrapolated that reaaaaallly far out there.
>>
File: the machines.png (118KB, 1310x1064px) Image search: [Google]
the machines.png
118KB, 1310x1064px
>>
>>53776963
>>53776988
The real point I was trying to make with the framework of the Jesus and whatnot was that even so utterly alien to other, the human capacity for selfless love, like the Vicar for what he called "The Younger Races", will always endure, and is not exclusive to those similar to you.
It was pretty gay, but my friends enjoyed having an actual moral to the entire plotline that they did not expect. As hamfisted as it was.
>>
>>53761267
>>oxygen is a very dangerous chemical used in rocket fuel and chem bombs
>>humans breathe oxygen
It's dangerous to us too. In fact it's the main reason we go weaker and frailer as we age.
>>
>>53761432
Lithium is hot shit. It reacts with water, sky, allah and buddha. Like, if you put it on a table, cut it with a knife, it will cover with oxidised layer just being on air there, reacting with O2. You put it in water - it becomes LiOH in no time.
>>
>>53777217
Not relevant. Vhemical reactions don't lower the raios of the element. rarrity of the elemets have more to do with thermonuclear reactions.
>>
File: Aritsans.jpg (427KB, 1408x1332px) Image search: [Google]
Aritsans.jpg
427KB, 1408x1332px
>>53765235
>Why does HFY never focus on artistic achievements?
Well it does on occasion.
>>
>>53777217
>it will cover with oxidised layer just being on air there
Aluminium or Silicon do the exact same thing
>>
>>53776621
Found the high schooler.
>>
>>53776621
dV is delta-Volume, delta-velocity is dv
>>
>>53777330
Well, no, you learn about integrals and derivatives in high school. You wouldn't make that mistake.
>>
File: 1480963155796.jpg (646KB, 2110x1350px) Image search: [Google]
1480963155796.jpg
646KB, 2110x1350px
Reminder that humans come from a planet on the low end of the scale when it comes to planets that will maintain an atmosphere but aren't too massive to prevent escape from the gravity well, so humans will be weak.

Reminder that based on the only biosphere we have access to study, the average alien will be roughly the mass of a polar bear, so humans will be weak.

If humans are exceptional at all, it's more likely it'll be for being able to breed rapidly and survive in shit conditions on minimal calories, like rats. If we win any interspecies conflicts, it'll probably be by outbreeding and overwhelming with sheer numbers, like we did to the Neanderthals.
>>
>>53777390
>the average alien will be roughly the mass of a polar bear, so humans will be weak.

We'll take them down like we took down every other being larger and more deadly than us. We'll use teamwork and our faithful companions the dog.
>>
File: humans are heavy worlders.png (87KB, 854x455px) Image search: [Google]
humans are heavy worlders.png
87KB, 854x455px
>>53777390
>the low end of the scale when it comes to planets that will maintain an atmosphere but aren't too massive to prevent escape from the gravity well
>the low end
I'm sorry, what? Everything I've seen has said the exact opposite.
>>
>>53777451
Anything noticably less massive than Earth wouldn't sustain a molten core, would lose it's magnetosphere long before complex life evolved and built rockets.

Best example is Mars.

That pic basically assumes rocket motors will never improve in efficiency over the Saturn V (they already have) and that the only method of getting into orbit for any species, no matter how advanced, is a chemical rocket, which is a ludicrous assumption. It's like the Wright brother's prediction that aircraft would never cross the Atlantic.

I don't know why it constantly gets reposted, presumably because people like to imagine they'll have zero-effort super-strength compared to aliens? Even if that was the case, you'd need to keep up a furious regime of weight lifting to maintain it more than a few months on these hypothetical low-mass (but still habitable) planets, something the bulk of the population just wouldn't bother with.

Certainly not because it's a viable claim.
>>
I think humans' ability to socialize with other species and make friends is a good ability but then again, if there's a spacefaring race of aliens, they probably got there by working together so that's not necessarily a unique thing.

Perhaps our ability to mimic and pretend? Subterfuge? Like acting. An alien race might find it extremely weird for one person to convince themselves they are someone else entirely (like method acting).
>>
>>53777558
Anon, honestly our greatest trait is smuggling, spying, espionage, working together with hated enemies if the threat is big enough and generally being back stabbing bastards. Basically Humanity's greatest and unique trait is that we're all basically Pirates.

Yo ho motherfuckers.
>>
>>53777438
>Humans arrive on another planet
>Shit, they're pretty dangerous
>Alright lads, catalogue the local fauna, let's see if we can domesticate a few of these bitches
>Within a few short generations, humans ride on giant mantis-bears, siccing tamed alien bees on the enemy and field battalions of angry marsupial auxiliaries with huge urticating hairs they can shoot out of their hands.
>>
>>53776963
Damn, I love that. I'm not even a speck of religious myself, but that's some really original and interesting stuff.
>>
>>53761449
I think a lot of the problems came when pseudo nerds started to come into /tg/ and thought that the humanity in HFY was actually just white people so they would start to shitpost in the threads which lead to even more in your face content to fuck with them.
>>
>>53777269
Did you have a stroke?

>>53777360
Lost. That's pretty funny, Anon.
>>
>>53777500
You are wrong, and I have math that proves it.
https://worldbuilding.stackexchange.com/questions/13583/what-is-the-minimum-planetary-mass-to-hold-an-atmosphere-over-geologic-time-scal

Let me give you the tl;dr. Asuming that a planet
>has the same density, albedo, and Vesc/Vrms ration as Earth
>has a strong magnetic field like Earth
>have daytime/average temperature ratios comparable to Earth
Then any planet with the mass of 0.43 Earths can keep an earthlike atmosphere for at least 4.5 billion years.
Straying from these parameters complicates the math, but it's still clear that planets much less massive than Earth can sustain life.
Hell, Mars would have sustained life if it had been 3 times more massive; this wouldn't have affected its surface gravity much either, interestingly enough.
>>
>>53761449
Some is good. A lot is crap, some people only talk about the crap for the sake of shitposting. One particularly horrible HFY story I remember.
Bad HFY
>Human gets abducted by aliens to experiment on him
>Can't return home because laws or something
>At an alien airport or spaceport or whatever
>Terrorists break in
>Human fights them
>Beats them with his bare hands
>Lasers only give him first degree burns
>Aliens are astonished that his body naturally produces combat drugs (adrenaline)
>>
>>53762018
Anti-HFY is far more retarded than even the worst unironic HFY.
>>
>>53777811
You don't quite understand how powerful adrenaline is
Like that asian mother who flipped a car after her son was trapped under it
>>
>>53777602
Hah! I love it! Humans being the only species to have learned/mastered domestication!
>>
File: 1474971113765.gif (4MB, 650x318px) Image search: [Google]
1474971113765.gif
4MB, 650x318px
>>53761267
God I fucking hate HFY for what it's become.
Leddit-tier narccistic fanfiction and thinly-veiled self-insert bullshit.

The best HFY are the political ones where all sorts of courtroom shenanigans is played out. They're fun to read.
>>
>>53777972
This. Adrenaline, if weaponized as a battle drug, made "safe" to use and able to last long enough would make most men unstoppable killing machines... till it ran out and you died or collapsed from whatever injuries you incurred during your death charge.

Explosives would still be as effective but they'd probably crawl at you and keep firing before they just up and died.

Head shots would work too, but you can only do so many of those if they're all rushing at you.
>>
>>53762291
Nah, mate, just gotta get some infrastructure up there, yeah? Little house, garden, factory down the road. Drag a rock over to the smelter, mine and smelt on site, toss it to the wankers at the factory, few years time you got yourself a nice little spaceship.
>>
>>53777006
I think I've seen other version of this with different ending, where humanity lost but signal was not lost.
So time after time there was new beacon of other civilization, until some of them broken the machines, inspired by man's determination and example.
>>
>>53777602
Please for the love of Carl Sagan. Some wirtefag do this honour!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PN5JJDh78I
>>
>>53777390
We wiped out Neanderthals by being more creative and cruel, not by the numbers.
>>
>>53777811
That's a real reddity one, its ridiculously popular on r/HFY and they literally have there own category for it on Reddit calling it Jenkinverse. There all as cringey as you'd expect.

Reddit ruined HFY for me.
>>
>>53779052
Interbreeding probably helped too. Why kill your enemy when you can just outfuck them
>>
>>53765538
>humans show up on the scene and start borrowing from everyone.

I can hear the SJWs scream about 'muh cultural appropriation' from across the Atlantic.
>>
>>53778526
oh? haven't read that one yet.
you don't happen to have it saved, do you?
>>
>>53761820
>IDK much about reptiles, but birds probably can't taste it because their diet is made up of tons of horrible harsh acidic/poisonous shit that other animals can't stand the taste of and will probably throw up after an hour
nah birds can't taste it cos its tailored for mammals. its not an acidic or poisonous. Its an evolved defense against mammals eating the fruit because we have molars and destroy the seeds while chewing. the plant "wants" birds and reptiles eating its fruit because they just break it up into swallowable chunks so the seeds survive to be shat out and spread that way.
>>
I can't find the citation but a read an article recently that gave an answer to the Fermi Paradox.

Earth is one of the oldest 8% of stars in our Galaxy's habital zone.

Basically we're going to be first-ones... if we survive long enough
>>
>>53765723
>>53765875
Reminds me of the novel Blindsight.
>>
>>53779615
>Humans will be Precursors

My only regret is I won't live to see it
>>
>>53779291
Nope.
Now I'm not sure if it was this, something similar, or when I read this for first time I thought that such ending would be more fitting and created a fake memory.
>>
>>53779641
>My only regret is I won't live to see it

Have hope anon, our science and medical science made great progress in last 100 years, while unlikely it is possible that life extending treatments will be available and affordable/covered by public health system within our lifetime.

Being within generation of first interstellar pioneers is a possibility.
And we probably see some kind of colonization within our star system within our lives.
>>
>thread that was never going to not be dumb because nu/tg/ focuses on hating things has a derail regarding people not understanding how rocket science works.

For the record, my understanding of delta-v that was picked up purely through observing nerds talk about things was that the term in isolation basically serves to apply a meaningful metric to fuel counts.
>We have enough fuel to change our speed and direction this much
as opposed to
>We have X gallons/tons/mAh/whatever of fuel
>>
File: fifth_element__diva_dance.jpg (227KB, 1433x600px) Image search: [Google]
fifth_element__diva_dance.jpg
227KB, 1433x600px
It was the 46th Intergalactic Arts Symposium. On the surface, it was a friendly exchange of art and culture. In reality, it was a heated contest between the nations in the Federacy for the ultimate bragging rights.

The first to perform in the singing competition were the Kmyqryhr. Large and formidable warriors, their voices were equally strong in strength and volume. Low yet powerful vibrations rumbled through the auditorium. It was an...interesting way to being the contest.

Up next were the Itholie. Their species relies on a series of high-pitches calls, making them adept at utilizing the upper register. Their performance was mostly well-received, though some of the audience seemed pained at the higher notes. Others seemed unable to hear them entirely. Personally, I think all the chirping starts to sound the same after awhile.

Performing third were the Qlyceb. Their voices are rich with a range in between that of a Kmyqryhr and an Itholie. While their voices are pleasant, their performance was forgettable. It was nice, but easily lost amongst the other acts.

The Tleibrortea are renowned for their melodious and graceful voices. They have won several contests and are the favorites to win. Even I have to admit, their singing is damn good. They are worth the betting odds for sure.

Finally, it was the Klop's turn to perform. The Klop lack the vocal talents of other species (our voices have been described as plain and monotonous). We have never won a contest. However, we have a secret weapon.

We have focused on a little-known technique that has never been utilized in these contests: synchronization. We have worked tireless for months to perfect it and have achieved a unison in singing approximately 1 second apart.

Our performance could not have gone better. The audience loved it. I swear I saw a Tleibrortea delegate more nervous than I had ever seen. The Klop may have been derided in the intergalactic artistic community, but no longer.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
The last participants were the humans.

Humanity was only recently admitted to the Federacy, and their delegates looked the part of a last minute addition. There were four human delegates, though they shared many common features, they seemed radically different in other areas. They shared common attire, yet each outfit had a different color or accessory.

I was curious, as I had never heard a human sing before, let alone four. Still, they were a mere afterthought. The hard-earned victory of the Klop was imminent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbBITrZa6Ok

>Ice cream
>Ice cream
>Ice cream
>Ice cream

The sheer diversity of their voices caught me off-guard, and the stunned looks from the rest of the audience confirmed it wasn't just me. Just four humans had captured the deep bellows of the Kmyqryhr, the high calls of the Itholie, the mellow sounds of the Qlyceb, and the euphonious notes of the Tleibrortea.

No matter. The humans may have been surprising in their range, but they cannot match the Klop's-

>Ice cream.
>ICE CREAM
>ICE CREAAAAAAAM

>aren't we sincerely in
>love!
>oh we're in love!

I could not speak. I could not think. I could only listen. The humans had come together in perfect synchronization. The seemingly-mismatched frequencies of their voices had blended together into one seamless string of music. I could swear I heard a fifth note above the other four.

They called themselves a "barbershop quartet."

After the contest (the humans unanimously considered the winners), I rushed over to them to ask them of their secrets. I mentioned the fifth note, and they described it as an "overtone", a sound formed when sounds are created in harmony.

This "harmony" takes many shapes, and that their form of barbershop harmony was just one permutation among many on their home planet. I then asked how long they were together, as clearly they must have been practicing for decades to obtain their level of unison.

"A couple of days ago when we got the invitation."
>>
Daily reminder that we're special.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecliptic_alignment_of_CMB_anisotropy
>>
File: golden_record_cover.gif (394KB, 893x817px) Image search: [Google]
golden_record_cover.gif
394KB, 893x817px
I was dumbfounded. While their group was formed recently, the humans explained that they'd been singing together their whole lives.

Humans sing together for pleasure with their friends and family.
Humans sing together in their houses of worship.
Human sing together before heading into battle.
Humans sing together to honor their country.
Humans sing together to mourn tragedy.
Humans sing together with strangers just because they like the same song.

While the most advanced civilizations in the galaxy had been squabbling over who was more refined, the primitive humans many light-years away were making beautiful music in harmony. No one had heard them because no one stopped to listen. Had they listened, they may have even sung along.

But in space, no one can hear ice cream.
>>
>>53765235
>Why does HFY never focus on artistic achievements?

HFY is about nerds getting imaginary revenge on bullies from high school (the bad aliens) and getting to finally bang that cute girl that didn't know your name (the helpless but sexually attractive aliens that humanity allies with to save them from the bad aliens).

Art projects are what got them bullied in the first place.
>>
File: image.jpg (4KB, 300x57px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4KB, 300x57px
>>53766958
>The hand on the thigh in public is one of the most Chad things you can do

Really?

Are you sure you're not just conflating "having a girlfriend" with "being a Chad"?

Pic related is you, I guess.
>>
>>53779615
So we are the old ones?

The life givers of the galaxy?
That would be pretty cool desu

Damn there are some good storyhooks one could go for to make some good HFY stories
>>
>>53780718
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WHY
ALL THAT SETUP FOR A PUN WHYYYYYYY
>>
>>53781158
Probably just for a payoff like this.
>>
>>53779054
Reddit ruins literally everything that doesn't have some inherent barrier to entry/understanding.
>>
>>53781327
>Reddit ruins literally everything that doesn't have some inherent barrier to entry
I'm sorry to hear about your mother
>>
>>53781481
Simply Eric.
>>
>>53762018
I don't browse HFY much but this shit is worse than NTR and probably enjoyed by the same people.
>>
>>53761449
Honestly, /tg/ has become much, much more sensitive to anything being "cringey" as they started playing tabletop less and less.

The people who complain about cringe don't realize the entire hobby is incredibly cringey, moreso than any petty HFY could ever hope to be.

HFY wishes it could be as cringey as just plain ol' tabletop.
>>
>>53781481
Holy shit this burn is so sick it needs an ambulance
>>
>>53781756
This desu. Writefaggotry was the best part of old /tg/, but the newfags ran them off with "nobody wants to read your mary sue bullshit" and ">implying that happened" posts on things nobody had ever had a problem with. If old man henderson or that guy who brought down that larping group happened today, they'd get saged off the board and told to go back to /b/ or reddit.
>>
>>53782263
Well, it's the inevitable result of our shit getting more mainstream.
People with no perspective start to bitch.
>>
>>53781158
You know a bunch of classic scifi is all just set ups for dumb punchlines like that, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGsDFT1Qp-0
>>
>>53782376
I know, but it'd be nice if there was some way to fight it.
Also, it's ironic that the people spamming "gb2 reddit" on everything cool probably came from reddit in the first place
>>
>>53782430
Well, it's their way.

I don't even know how the fuck to operate reddit, and newfags keep bitching at me about "reddit spacing", even though that's how I've been doing it for over a decade now.
>>
What really annoys me about HFY stuff is that I wish people would write about things that are ACTUALLY mostly unique about humans compared to most other Earth life. Now, other Earth creatures won't necessarily be a good stand-in for alien life, but at the same time the diversity of current and historical wildlife suggests that unique things about humans should still be uncommon elsewhere out of pure statistics.

The main things:

- Humans can endure prolonged physical exertion for much longer than most animals without suffering harm (being able to keep up with humans at all is part of why dogs were domesticated)

- Humans can take injuries and stay active when most animals would end up in shock, and humans can survive injuries that would kill most animals because of shock and stress

Basically, humans should take the spot of space dwarves, and be the species that's bizarrely tough. As well as the obvious applications in crewing starships and in personal warfare and bodyguarding, this would also make humans very suited for cybernetic enhancement compared to most alien species, because elective surgeries are much less dangerous for humans.
>>
>>53782551
I've seen a few about that.
They were liked at the time, but are now derided as masturbation fodder because it cast humans as tough.
>>
File: jenkins.png (355KB, 1869x2571px) Image search: [Google]
jenkins.png
355KB, 1869x2571px
>>53779054
No no no, I don't think you understand just how fucking awful the Jenkinsverse is. For reference, here's the original HFY written on 4chan.

As a story... it's rather tame. It's not great HFY, but it's an interesting read.

Now, here is the very long continuation of that story, by Reddit.
http://hfy-archive.org/book/deathworlders

Feel free to read it and see the cancer for yourself. Some chief examples I recall...
>Literally in the 2nd chapter (1st reddit chapter), Jenkins goes on about how Religion is stupid and is Mankind's greatest weakness.
>The test-pilot for Humanity's first FTL is a black woman. That's not that bad, but the author/she constantly tells the audience that she wasn't chosen for this because of politics, which is obviously bullshit.
>At one point, two aliens assign to study humans literally have a conversation about the "great human scholar" Richard Dawkins.
That was about where I lost my patience and stopped reading this bullshit.
>>
>>53782940
That's because reddit is cancer and full of cancerous people
>>
>>53782458
>I don't even know how the fuck to operate reddit, and newfags keep bitching at me about "reddit spacing", even though that's how I've been doing it for over a decade now.

Hey, my own clone

If I was a virgin this would be a great situation for both of us!

Now you've got me trying to remember how many years ago someone on 4chan first called me reddit.
>>
>>53782940
It was cringey supremacist shit from the start. If you only lost interest due to the later addition of atheist-supremacist shit and virtue signalling, you're as bad as the author tbqhwyf
>>
File: Gilgamesh.jpg (55KB, 400x504px) Image search: [Google]
Gilgamesh.jpg
55KB, 400x504px
>>53783699
>cringey supremacist shit
Nothing wrong with that. Something can still have blatant power imbalance, and still be a nice read, if not a good story.
>>
>>53782940
I remember that story from the first time around.

It was pretty good.
>>
>>53783756
I for example don't even have any problems with cringe and supremacism. It's funny. But the writer is shit. He spills all over the place and spends three chapters on things that could be done in a couple paragraphs.
>>
>>53783909
>chapters
What are you talking about? Cause I'm talking about the original greentext.
>>
>>53783972
I'm talking about all the other shit. Original greentext is ok for a short read.
>>
>>53784187
Yeah, the other story is trash
>>
>>53761831
What is 40k?
>>
>>53785202
some shitty scfi setting
>>
File: 1395205682300.png (47KB, 383x375px) Image search: [Google]
1395205682300.png
47KB, 383x375px
>>53782940
>the author/she constantly tells the audience that she wasn't chosen for this because of politics, which is obviously bullshit
Doesn't seem like identity politics to me. I mean USA sent monkeys into space before humans too.
>>
>>53787321
AYY!
>>
>>53761449
Nah, HFY has always been more miss than hit. The idea that started it all was 'what if humans were not the perfectly average measuring stick of the setting?' What if Humans were the fastest, or the toughest, or the strongest in a setting instead of everything being +2 Str -2Cha or +2Dex -2Con in relation to us?

Which is a legit neat idea.

It quickly turned into masturbatory power fantasies and HUMANITY STRONK stories.

>>53761574
It's way closer to the original focus.

>>53777811
Jenkins is decent shortform fiction, but bad HFY by the original concept.
>>
>>53788101
im curious, which do you think is the best HFY?

post it.
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.