[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 385
Thread images: 36

File: Neeshka.jpg (96KB, 700x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Neeshka.jpg
96KB, 700x1000px
>Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options 2:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Feedback Questionnaires:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/:
>>53753108

Let's talk about barbarian. Any subclasses that are good about him beyond Bear Totem?
>>
>>53759157
Eagle barb is fun I don't care what anyone says.
>>
Is it feasible to play an arcane casting soldier who is also a skeptic?
>>
>>53759174
Agreed.

New party members also join at 2 levels lower, further eating up gold and making new party members be so frail they literally die in one hit. We have a Wizard with 5 HP, but the DM is really rigid on this stuff.
>>
>>53759202
Why do you play this game? Sounds awful.
>>53759195
a skeptic of what?
>>
>>53759157
Neeshka a best.
>>
>>53759157
>Berserker
Good level 6 and 14. Easily the best level 6. Still pretty trash.
>Battlerager
Just berzerker lite. Discourages non-barbarogues from getting proper feats to be a proper barbarian, which is kinda bad.
>Elk/Otheranimaals
AHAHAHAHAHA
>Eagle
Fun but shit.
>Homebrew
It's shit senpai. Especially that middle hand of vecna which throws you a ridiculously OP ability later.
>UAs
Generally meh with stuff like 'You don't get a feature, you just don't die!' Ancestrial guardians is looking good now, though.
>Wolf
Great with parties that have melee. Nobody uses it though.
>Bear
Yeah, sure, you're a barbarian to be tanky, we get it .
>>
>>53759195
>>53759211
Of the supernatural.
>>
File: Fedora.png (58KB, 523x443px) Image search: [Google]
Fedora.png
58KB, 523x443px
>>53759217
What the fuck do you mean by supernatural? Magic exists in DnD, there are clerics who can cure diseases, there are wizards who can rain fire and blood upon their enemies, there are basilisks, and harpies, and ghosts, and undead, and demons, and angels. What exactly the source of this skepticism would be?
>>
>>53759217
Is it really supernatural, if it is explained and generally considered part of nature?

I guess he could be skeptical of magic he doesn't know the explanation of?
>>
>>53759202
The design I'm using for my game is that there's two main currencies.
Gold, for the most part, players shouldn't give a shit about as while it does hold weight and can be used for base upgrades and stuff players are assumed to have access to anything within a few hundred gold pieces price for free if they can fit it in their inventory. Due to all this there's no reason a player couldn't throw money around to bribe a monster or use it on something that doesn't help much mechanically like a house.
The other is some sort of monster currency that you get XP for aquiring and sending back to base. Some rate, possibly between 25-50% of stuff collected this way raises the starting XP for all new characters (which is important because people are expected to die).

What they're doing sounds pretty tedious.
>>
>>53759241
So he's skeptical of "psionics"
He's a wizard. He knows how magic works.
People can't just think and blow shit up. They have to know the right words and how to wave their hands.
>>
>>53759157
Did Tieflings always look like this? The PHB is pretty adamant about them having solid colored eyes.
>>
>>53759261
I think that could work, especially in a setting where psionics is a relatively new/secluded disciple, like Eberron.
>>
>>53759238
As much as I hate FR, it does a good job at making sure fedorer self-inserts are punished.

>>53759261
So other then the centuries of proof, and entire cultures built around Psionics. The heavy influence it has in Duergar, Illithid and Yuan-ti society. The fact he apparently doesn't understand how it works if he disbelieves a known thing. Also that running into a single psionic enemy makes him a retard.

Sure, but I imagine INT is his dumpstat.
>>
>>53759211
Honestly I'm thinking of quitting, but then I can only play once or twice every two months anymore.

>>53759207
Allow them to add rage, but add a chance for the bowstring to snap.

>>53759213
Berserker really needs alternative fatigue mechanics. Extra damage is handy but you can only recover one level of fatigue per long rest, meaning that if you rage three times in a single day you need to rest for three days.

I'd just rule it as giving the standard fatigue penalties, but allow them to recover all fatigue levels every long rest. And even then it wouldn't be amazing since you still get disadvantage on ability checks after raging just once.
>>
>>53759261
He's a skeptic? Why does this matter in the slightest? Sure play him but when you run into a single Psionic enemy don't be an idiot and say "It was an illusion" or something, own up admit your character was wrong.
>>
>>53759261
>People can't just think and blow shit up. They have to know the right words and how to wave their hands.
But Sorcerers don't need to at all.
>>
>>53759261
It's incredibly easy to say that psionics, arcane, divine, and whatever else are all actually the same. It's another to say that none of them are real.

Joe the fighter can't differentiate between them, but he knows that fire is still hot.
>>
>>53759238
>>53759241
>>53759261
>>53759272
>>53759275
Thanks bros; should've clarified, he's an EK so isn't super immersed in the arcane arts or traditions. And yes, only his Str, Dex and Con are his good stats.

Throughout his career as a soldier he has not really fought against the more supernatural enemies and abominations like owlbears and basilisks and the like he has always rationalized away as being natural creatures.
>>
File: dnd old tieflings.jpg (84KB, 400x518px) Image search: [Google]
dnd old tieflings.jpg
84KB, 400x518px
>>53759269

Old-school tieflings are more human-looking. At most, they have one or two quirks, sometimes goat-like legs.
>>
Is there anywhere that has the Curse of Strahd maps as a folder of images instead of the PDF in the trove? would make it easier to print
>>
>>53759283
But also the bonus action holds little weight when a feat can get that anyway.
It should get a buff, yes, but not too big a buff considering berserker gets a strong level 6 compared to everyone else. So I'd go for allowing the extra attack to not take a bonus action and recovering all exhaustion on a long rest but none of that bullshit like 'you also ignore the effects of exhaustion while raging' because that makes it far too good where the suggestion I've already made there is strong enough.
>>
>>53759283
>I'd just rule it as giving the standard fatigue penalties, but allow them to recover all fatigue levels every long rest. And even then it wouldn't be amazing since you still get disadvantage on ability checks after raging just once.

I'd give him something like "barbarian feast: the berserker can recover more fatigue by feasting (eating proportionally more food for level of fatigue required)." Then limit how much he can feast/day depending on level (probably by proficiency bonus, so he can feast for double at level 1, triple at 5, etc) Essentially same effect, but has a drawback tied to in-universe.
>>
>>53759307
So something like Curse of Strahd will fuck up his worldview.
>>
Is refluffing a tiefling with the Devil's Tougne trait from SCAG to a satyr dumb?
Devi'ls tounge fits the satyr lore, you have a weird appearance that puts people off, not completely human blood etc. Also I'm trying to decide between a bard or ancients palading.
>>
>>53759399
Sounds fine to me
>>
>>53759269
2e tieflings were mutants with odd traits, 3.5 tieflings mainly had horns and tails, 4e and onwards had them look straight up demonic, with red skin and fucky eyes.
>>
>>53759297
Spells, regardless of the class or race, require a combination somatic, material, or vocal. Sorcerers must, like everyone else, wave their hands around and know the right words.
>>
>>53759157
Battlerager's fun because it's the closest I'll get to being Sonic the Hedgehog.
>>
>>53759455
>Metamagic: Subtle Spell
>When you cast a spell, you can spend 1 sorcery point to cast it without any somatic or verbal components.

Except the Sorcerer doesn't even need to make a single gesture or sound to cast a spell sometime, they can do it by pure thought.
>>
>>53759217
Transmutation wizard.

Everything is just chemistry and physics.

Firebolt?
Gathering and emission of thermic energy through vibrations caused in with a practiced chant.

Acid splash?

Altering the airs content to achieve acidic properties.

Etc.
>>
>>53759157

Guys,

I rolled a Warlock with a view to becoming a Tomelock, but it just looks like I'll be spamming Eldritch Blast and Hex for the next eight levels.

Is there any way to save this character, /tg/ or am I doomed?
>>
>>53759511
Go tomelock, grab shillelagh and a bladespell, multiclass paladin/sorcerer.
>>
File: The East 72dpi.jpg (994KB, 1828x1305px) Image search: [Google]
The East 72dpi.jpg
994KB, 1828x1305px
>>53759472
Holy wow, I typed that so sure of myself that i totally forgot the sorcerer DOES have a means to cast without S/V.

Props to you for straightening my folly and being a good bro about it. Have a cool map for that.
>>
>>53759511
Yes, that's the problem with warlocks. They're really just magic fighters.
>>
>>53759546
That actually is rad as fuck. Thanks.
>>
>Monk, Mystic, Barbarian and Warlock

How'd we do?
>>
>>53759564
What about them?
>>
>>53759261
how does he feel about bards who can literally insult people to death
>>
>>53759575
Is it an alright group? I've only ever played a game with Fighter, Barb, Cleric and Wizard before. The fact we have no healing in this one is a little worrying.
>>
>>53759583
Just have the Monk carry a bunch of healing potions and be the Battle Medic
>>
>>53759307
You're an idiot.

This is the equivalent of a character in modern day not believing in electricity.
>>
>>53759583
I hope your Monk went that healing UA Way; otherwise, if one of you goes down, you're going to have a bad time.
>>
>>53759594
Not really, it'd be something like not believing in the paranormal or in god.
>>
>>53759157

When are we going to get a 5e Baldurs Gate/NWN type game?
>>
>>53759603
No, also the Mystic 100% doesn't have the healing ability they has access to.

I'm the Warlock. I was thinking of multiclassing Bard somewhere down the line for character reasons, does a level or two add much in the way of healing?
>>
>>53759195
No. Unless he is mentally deranged.
OH LOOK, PETTY STREET PERFORMERS TRYING TO DISGUISE THEIR CRAFT
WHERE ARE THE STRINGS?
THAT IS A PRETTY COSTUME, WHAT IS IT SUPPOSED TO BE, A DRAGON?
>>
>>53759617
It gets you healing word, which is basically all you need to get people up from the ground.
>>
>>53759610
>>53759594
If anything, it would be like a person living the US not believing Europe exists.

He's met people from there, he's heard a lot about it and he's had family members who've seen it. Europe's influence is not really uncommon at all in his life. Yet he still is retarded enough to not believe it exists.
>>
>>53759610
Are you retarded?
>>
>>53759307
>>53759610
Magic is way too big a thing to be any sort of skeptic
>>
>>53759664
Are you autistic?

>>53759676
>>53759634
>>53759626
It's not magic he doesn't believe in but the more ludicrously supernatural elements. See the rationale here >>53759307
He has seen some shit though and this may be a mental illness he has and something to do with the madness rules.
>>
>>53759710
I won't lie, it does sound kind of annoying and silly. Your table might be different, but that's how I feel about a character concept that breaks through 99% of settings to find it's way in.
>>
>>53759710
Sounds retarded. Maybe you should make a character that won't piss off your fellow players every time you fight a creature more magical than cattle.
>>
>>53759728
Yeah fair enough.

>>53759739
Okay autist.
>>
>>53759710
This sounds completely retarded. Why are you dead set on playing a character that simply doesn't work in fantasy?
>>
>>53759546
What is that map of? I don't think I've ever seen it.
>>
REMOVE LOLTH remove lolth
you are worst spider. you are the spider idiot you are the spider smell. return to underdarke. to our duergar cousins you may come our kngdom. you may live in the zoo….ahahahaha ,drow we will never forgeve you. elf rascal FUck but fuck asshole spider stink drow drider drider..spider genocide best day of my life. take a bath of dead spider..ahahahahahDROW WE WILL GET YOU!! do not forget leafwar! .elfington we kill the king , elfington return to your precious fae realm….hahahahaha idiot spider and drow smell so bad..wow i can smell it. REMOVE DROW FROM THE PREMISES. you will get caught. neverwinter+waterdeep+luskan+baldur's gate=kill drow…you will leafwar/ moradin alive in dwarvington, moradin making hammer of dwarf . fast fight moradin dwarfington. we are rich and have gold now hahahaha ha because of moradin.. you are ppoor stink drow… you live in a cave hahahaha, you live in a hole

moradin alive numbr one #1 in dwarfington ….fuck the duergar ,..FUCKk ashol spider no good i spit in the mouth eye of ur flag and kingdom. moradin aliv and real strong warrior kill all the spider farm aminal with dwarf hammer now we the dwrf rule .ape of the zoo lord nasher fukc the great asmodeus and lay egg this egg hatch and drow wa;s born. stupid baby form the eggn give bak our ore we will crush u lik a skull of goblin. dwarfington greattst kinegdom
>>
>>53759399
Just ask if you can swap fire resistance for something like fey resistances.
>>
>>53759879
ebin
>>
>>53759511
>>53759520
Yes, get PAM, get to warlock level 3 (or 4 or 5 if you must) for shillelaghand then go paladin.
>>
>>53759879
Underdark BTFO
>>
>tfw it's mechanically better for you to use a crossbow until level 4 then Cantrips
>tfw you're a Warlock with 14 CHA

Should I sacrifice a slight boost in power to be laser beaming from level 2 or keep my +1 Accuracy with a Crossbow?
>>
>>53759901
Did you fucking roll your ability scores or something?
>>
>>53759913
No, High Elf with no Charisma bonus. I've got 16 DEX though.
>>
>>53759901
Yeah, just wait until level 5 at which point you can pick up agonizing blast and repelling blast at the same time with your new feat + changing an old feat.
>>
Is rolling for stats really that bad?
>>
>>53759918
Why didn't you take a better race? You could've gone Half-Elf and be similar flavor-wise.

Warlocks can at least add their Cha modifier to their damage rolls for Eldritch Blast from level 2 onwards so your damage won't be that much lower, but since you've got +1 on both your damage and attack rolls it's obviously better to just use a crossbow. The average damage will be the same (1d8+3 vs 1d10+2 is the same) but you'll hit more often.
>>
>>53759976
Yeah.
>>
File: Kermit.jpg (20KB, 268x286px) Image search: [Google]
Kermit.jpg
20KB, 268x286px
>>53759976
Don't start this shit, you nigger, we wasted two generals talking about this.
>>
>>53759976
Most of the time it's fine.
Standard array or point buy is better though.
>>
>>53759976
It's okay but it's not fun for the guy who rolls the worst stats. Having 14 as your highest stat and knowing you'll be stuck with that for the next few months is just painful.

On the other hand, arrays are boring and point buy just gives everyone the same spread anyways.
>>
>>53759976
It's only okay in high lethality games (That are also probably more story-focused) and those that don't give a fuck about the rules anyway and are arbitrary.
>>
>>53759976
I once had a 3 hour long argument with an autist about his 7 Str 20 Dex level 1 barbarian that "learned how to swing a greathammer with dexterity" and why that's retarded.
>>
>>53759269
4e/5e tieflings are inferior trash, ignore their fluff.
>>
>>53760064
>3 hour long argument
No, anon. You are the autists.
>>
>>53760064
>"learned how to swing a greathammer with dexterity"
Technically if he took three levels of Kensei monk he could do that.
>>
File: b49[3].gif (1MB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
b49[3].gif
1MB, 680x680px
>>53760097
>multiclassing UA
>>
>>53759976
Related to this, what's the best rolling method?
4d6 drop lowest?
6 times 3d6 down the line?
3 times 3d6, arrange?
For the gamblers among us, 1d20?

New characters start at level 1, so you can't just suicide until you get a good array.
>>
>>53760083
Yeah maybe I am but at least I don't roll my scores.

>>53760097
Fuck you.
>>
>>53760114
4d6 drop 1
reroll if you don't manage to get one stat 14 or above
>>
>>53760114
3d6 twelve times, drop lowest. Cap off any rolls above 16.
>>
>>53760114
30d1 points apply them as if by point buy.

But no, seriously, I'd say 4d6d1 down the line if you had to roll stats. It emphasises the point of what rolling for stats is for and takes it to the extreme rather than being some half-assed 'It's basically an unfair standard array'.
>>
>>53760097
Kensei can't use heavy weapons. Best they can do is a warhammer
>>
>>53759879
Man dwarves come across really Indian in your world...
>>
>>53760114
4d6 drop lowest.
If you don't have 2 stats that are 14+, you may reroll.
You must have 2 stats that are 12 or lower. If you don't, you must lower some stats.
>>
>>53760168
>If you don't have 2 stats that are 14+, you may reroll.
>You must have 2 stats that are 12 or lower. If you don't, you must lower some stats.
This is so fucking stupid it hurts reading.
>>
I'm playing a Kobold in a game with Encumbrance. So I can only carry 30 pounds.

Someone help.
>>
>>53760250
Bag of Holding is your friend.
>>
>>53760257
Also your sleeping bag/house.
>>
If I want to go PAM or GWM (or both) would I get the best mileage out of BM, EK or paladin?
>>
They will release an UA today, right?
>>
>>53760397
No. Only first monday of every month
>>
>>53760397
They should, however, release a new poll. We should let them know what we think about warlock and cavalier.
>>
What do people think about Death House?
>>
File: T60.13Satyros.jpg (42KB, 384x337px) Image search: [Google]
T60.13Satyros.jpg
42KB, 384x337px
>>53759409
Thanks
>>53759895
That's a good idea. I could also just refluff a wood elf, which woud still give appropriate mechanics for my fluff.
>>
File: image.jpg (82KB, 600x448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82KB, 600x448px
Thinking of trying a Draconic Sorcerer, Fire's obviously tempting but RP wise I think either being a Bronze Lightning descendant or Copper Acid would be more fun. The only redeeming quality to Acid I see is Vitrilolic Sphere doing a million damage (especially because Elemental Adept) but I'd fear the splash damage would probably just fuck my party over most of the time. So what about the Lightning guy? Would it be better to have 16 Dex or Con considering it'd be more likely to be in melee range for Shocking Grasp? Or maybe a Fighter Dip?

Or do I stop being a bitch and just go for Fire and learn to not care about not being a special snowflake?
>>
Using WIS as Mystic's caster ability makes waaay more sense. But GM thinks that because it was INT in previous editions, and also because it sounds OP, I should use INT. What do, what think?
>>
>>53760173
It's not the stupidest thing ever. I rolled a thief with 10 Wisdom once. After a few sessions it became obvious that I wasn't playing her according to what her Wisdom score suggested her common sense and awareness should be like, so he let me lower it to 9.

I'd never try and increase stats using this, though. The game provides enough ways of raising stats already.
>>
>>53760594
>Using WIS as Mystic's caster ability makes waaay more sense.

No it doesn't. The Mystic is meant to be the psionics class, as evidence by all the psionics it gets. Psionics is Intelligence. You're using the power of your brain to crush your foes.

You want to be a Wisdom-based caster, be a Cleric, Druid, certain varieties of Monk, or Ranger. There's plenty of options for you already.

>>53760568
You should not be agonizing over this as much as you are.

d6:
1 - Fire
2 - Lightning
3 - Poison
4 - Acid
5 - Cold
6 - Roll again
>>
>>53760559
It's good.
It's also lethal.
>>
>>53760595
Is this moron for real
>>
>>53760622
>death house
>lethal

Really gets the old noggin' goin'
>>
>>53760559
If you're a moralfag, you're not getting out alive if the DM's playing it like written.
>>
>>53760633
My character inspirations were Autolycus from Hercules/Xena; Disney's take on Aladdin; and Lina Inverse from The Slayers.

Low Wisdom was the way to go.
>>
>>53760616
>You're using the power of your brain to crush your foes
Yeah not the power of my education. I use my WILLPOWER and UNCANNY UNDERSTANDING OF THE WORLD with my SPECIAL GIFT to fuck people up.

> There's plenty of options for you already.
No I want to be a mystic.
M-Y-S-T-I-C.
I don't have any proficiency in Knowledge, or Investigation, or Nature, or fucking religion, I got those in Insight and Perception like any good psiker.
>>
>>53760657
>my WILLPOWER
That's ardent, not psion, you fucking nigger.
>>
So I'm a bit annoyed with my DM but I'm not sure if it's justified.

We started our game with some premade characters for those who didn't want to make them, and then some custom characters for those who did. These characters all have the same creation method; it's the standard array I believe it's called, no point buy or rolling for ability scores. No homebrew and UA only at DAM approval. So I made a Sorcerer originally, and then after a few sessions I decided a Mystic would be better and the DM agreed because I was gonna make it our healer / support basically. He said I could use point buy, and I followed the no score over 15 before racial bonuses as well. This most recent session is what has caused me much annoyance. He allowed two others to join our game, that's fine. But the characters he allowed the new players to make are literally broken. He allowed them to roll their stats, and apparently they rolled very, very high. One of the players is a High Elf Rogue, and she has a 20 in Dex at level 3. None of her ability scores except Str are below 14. But that's okay I guess, just means more chance to hit and a bit more damage and skills. She was nice and she enjoyed the game, and it was clear she didn't really know how powerful her character was, so I'm thinking her friend in the group made it for her. The second guy, he's also the Dam's brother, rolled a Rogue as well. He asked the DM for a custom race; a half Cambion, half Elf. Alright, that's fine, it's like a Tiefling right? Nope. He gave him an innate fire beam that can shoot from his hand that uses Dex as a ranged attack. He also gave him a pool of rather powerful spells that he can use, but only three times total per long rest. Then, he gave him 40ft base movement speed. To top it all off, he gave him +2 base AC and with his crazy high ability scores, he had 18 Dex as a Rogue at level 3.

Am I annoyed for a legit reason? I feel like the rest of us are on a lower level compared to them and it feels unfair.
>>
>>53760671
Dammit.
>He has 18 Dex as a Rogue at level 3
Was supposed to be
>He has 18 AC as a Rogue at level 3
>>
>>53760671
That's pretty fucking nuts. Is your DM new? Maybe he just wants to give people cool shit, without realizing how much it impacts everything.
>>
>>53760668
Do you even know what psi powers mean?

"Intelligence (INT) - Book smarts, knowledge"
Oh yeah, like, if you're naturally born with mind powers, means you're dependent on books how?

How does knowing shit at History makes more sense for a guy with MIND POWERS rather than being able to telepathically communicate with horses or having uncanning insight into someone's psychology

My character never received any sort of education and I doubt she even knows how to read
Nobody needs that to be born with the ability to lift rocks with the mind
>>
>>53760657
>Yeah not the power of my education.

Intelligence isn't just education; education is more represent by your skill selection.

>Intelligence measures mental acuity, accuracy of recall, and the ability to reason.
>An Intelligence check comes into play when you need to draw on logic, education, memory, or deductive reasoning.

Logic, memory, deduction. That is the basis of psionics. You're not using raw willpower to bend reality to your whim; that's the domain of Charisma, actually.

Rather, you are applying the stunning power of your awesome brain's raw intellect to mentally solve puzzles. it's just that some of those puzzles take the form of fireballs.

>>53760671
>Am I annoyed for a legit reason?

I'm annoyed by the lack of paragraph spacing.
>>
>>53760114
4d6 drop lowest I allow one reroll. If the stats are still not to the player's standards we switch to point buy.
>>
So you have your normal action, bonus action and item interaction. And a pool of movement.

Since movement can't be sacrificed for extra item interaction, how do you stop yourself from wasting it when staying put is necessary?
>>
>>53760699
>Is clearly dumb as fuck
>Doesn't understand the importance of intelligence
Checks out
>>
>>53760696
Not new to DnD, but new to 5e. He hasn't played since I think 3rd edition. He also seemed very set on having balanced characters when we first started, so I don't know what changed. He almost refused to let me reroll and wouldn't let anyone else even though it was clear one other players wasn't enjoying his character. I don't know if the new players are returning, so hopefully it'll go back to how it was before they joined but I don't know.
>>
>>53760699
read the fluff of what the Mystic is. they study their powers specifically and are often taught. not just pop out their mum's vagina and start going super power.

it's trained the same way wizards are. some people have the talent to learn and some don't, but they still gotta learn it.
>>
>>53760705
Sorry for the lack of formatting. I'm using my phone as I'm away from my PC.
>>
>>53760699
>My character never received any sort of education and I doubt she even knows how to read

Then you're not a very good mystic.

Look, you asked your question, and you've gotten your answer: the consensus is that Mystic should be INT-based, not WIS-based. Learn to live with that.

No one's reqiring you to take proficiency in skills you don't want, so you can still justify your character as being uneducated. When you pass Intelligence skill checks it'll just be a result of her incredible brain figuring out problems via deductive reasoning and logic. An idiot savant, if you will.

But Mystic is INT-based. I agree, at least one other Anon agrees, and most importantly, your DM agrees. End of discussion.
>>
>>53760713
There's no such thing as "wasting" your movement. You either need to move, or you don't.
>>
>>53760716
What a nice and insightful comment, supporting the argument that you shouldn't use WIS for psionics...How

For someone who's whining about Intelligence we don't get to see yours a lot.
>>
Is Keen Mind good? It seems the perfect memory a month back would help against most DMs.
>>
>>53759157
I don't remember Neeshka's breasts being that large, I thought she had a small chest.
>>
>>53760648
>Hercules/Xena
>disneyshit
>weebshit

Are you sure you're not just roleplaying yourself with that wisdom score?
>>
>>53760728
>Not running around the enemy in a circle to make them dizzy every turn
>>
>>53760728
Man, why can't I get over this. I have a mental block or something. Just attacking for your entire turn when you are in melee range just seems so dull.

I get that the old system of Full Attack was even worse, but it felt like something.
>>
My character now has a diamond for an eye.
>>
Since there's some shitflinging about mystic, I think I should voice my thoughts about cleric too.
Why the FUCK does it use wisdom? Wisdom in 5e is common sense, street smarts, gut feeling, since it powers Insight and Perception. None of those things are something priests are famous for.
It would make much more sense for clerics to use charisma, since talking and being persuasive is priest's fucking job. When a priest converts heathens, he uses charisma. When he fires up the crowd, he uses charisma. When he takes part in a theological debate, he uses charisma.
>>
>>53760758
Take the mobile feat or play a swashbuckler
>>
>>53760775
Aren't diamonds pretty small? How can he fill his entire eye with a small stone?
One of my characters had a glass eye, though.
>>
Any Bard players out there? Do any of ya'll use oration or song instead of your instrument primarily? Do you improve or prepare before hand?

I made a Dwarven Bard and don't want to embarrass myself trying to be pithy, but don't want to just say "I play a tune on my shawm" every time. Especially since I think the instrument I picked needs both hands.
>>
>>53760790
Fantasy diamonds.
>>
>>53760778
Nah, it's their natural insight into the god will. Often the god picks the Cleric in fluff, chooses the followers with natural alignment to the deity's dogma and that's what makes a Cleric different to a Priest. Clerics are like the chosen of the god.

They don't sit around tending to the flock, they follow their gut to find the enemies of their god on a holy quest.

As for generic NPC Priests CHA makes sense depending on the god.
>>
>>53760778
Wisdom's a lot of things. It still includes understanding of the deeper nature of the universe and faith.

Prayer uses wisdom.
>>
>>53760810

I'm frustrated specifically because I'm playing a cleric, who proselytize a new faith, but because of my stats I'm not really good at it. My paladin, however, is - and it just doesn't make sense to me. Why would a warrior - a holy warrior, but still a warrior - be better at converting people?
>>
>>53760724
>read the fluff of what the Mystic is.
Fluff is shit and is meant to be changed. You think I'm also gonna go with these order names too like they're real things? Fuck that, also, it's a homebrew setting.

> some people have the talent to learn and some don't, but they still gotta learn it.
Well it's something that's part of them. Therefore they learn it on their own. Deducing skill is WISdom based. It's like, shit, what can I actually do with my head? But in the end, it's not reciting a magic phrase, or doing a certain thing a certain way that you got to remember, it's manifesting the power of your thought.

>>53760705
>Rather, you are applying the stunning power of your awesome brain's raw intellect to mentally solve puzzles.
And technically, that's WISdom, because that's what deducing is based on, and you actually don't know the rules of the puzzle. You're trying to alter reality, but each time, you're figuring out how the shit it works.

I don't want my character to suddenly manifest a propensity for Historical Lore when she's always lived in buttfuck nowhere too but I want her to be able to sense things around her like an empath-telepath.

>>53760778
Maybe cause as a cleric that stays up with the times you need to have some street talks with the yogu'ns?

But really: yeah, let's switch around. Clerics are based and all, but all through history, they've been famous for one thing and one thing only: EDUCATION. They should be INT. Or, as you say, CHA. I think there should be variants.

>When he takes part in a theological debate, he uses charisma.
Ah... Depends of the debate here. I can guarantee if he's trying to defend himself against accusations of heresy that mostly involves delving into the book and make a reasoning argument; although later on he's gonna need CHA too.
>>
>>53760796
I have some stuff prepared beforehand (Quotes and songs). Some stuff has to be improv as a wordsmith needs to be able to make some snappy remarks in the moment (See Sam Riegel).
>>
>>53760819
Paladins are crusaders by a different name. They are all about converting people.

I understand your frustration though.
>>
>>53760790
It was a large diamond. We had that discussion, and decided it was a bit bigger than a d20. Also, I'm a dwarf, I don't know if they have smaller eyes, but it werks.
I am now as moradin created me.
>>
>>53760819
They have nothing to do with Gods, a Paladin can be religeous but they never have to have anything to do with gods. Nothing.

A Paladin swears an oath to themselves to follow, sets the standards they will live up to in life. From following their code they draw power from the shear conviction they have in themselves, their force of personality.

Paladin's being Charismatic isn't because they swear an oath, they swear an oath because they have charisma.
>>
>>53760842
"Converting"
>>
>>53760815
>understanding of the deeper nature of the universe
Yeah like when you're a guy with weird powers trying to bend it.

I mean, it's in the class' name. "Mystic". It's someone that's too weird to be a wizard. Wizards are rational. Mystics are... Alternatively rational.

Technically insane, and at the same time, that's their powers. So definitively not INT.
>>
>>53760854
Too bad, it's Int. What are you gonna do about it, whine on the internet?
>>
>>53760836
If your DM's said no, then it's a no. I'd just recommend having 14 or so Wisdom and playing the character the same as you would. Treat the knowledge as a natural instinct into the world tat lets them know things.
>>
>>53760854
I'm not arguing with you. I wasn't even talking to you. I have no idea what class you are referring to because I only read the core 5E book. Don't rope me into this.
>>
>>53760866
Homerule it, faggot. Are you too dense to understand how fiction works?

>>53760877
I wanna feel stronger when I give it more attributes too...
>>
>>53760888
Welcome to the thread! We're all here together talking about shit.
>>
>>53760896
>I wanna feel stronger when I give it more attributes too...
Then go play a special snowflake game that lets you do this. Might I suggest free-form?
>>
>>53760910
Might I suggest shutting your trap and quit trying to bait? You're terrible at this. Go take your angst on your mom or something.
>>
>>53760745
Are you complaining?
>>
>>53760778
Because Clerics by and large sit in the church and do church things. Going out and smiting evil and being a big inspiration is the Paladin's job which is why they're the one who uses Charisma.

Them using INT would be fine, though. At the very least, the main Cleric stat and the stat that Religion uses should be the same, whatever it is.
>>
>>53760933
The guy refusing to listen to his DM or the rules is the one baiting here.

Insulting you for it is completely in line.
>>
>>53760975
You clearly do not understand OP's situation since his GM hasn't even ruled. Seems you're just trying to justify being useless and contrarian.

Reddit is that way.
>>
>>53760331
Pls respond
>>
I doubt it would ever break the game to replace INT with WIS as casting ability.
>>
>>53761010
Paladin, you would get it from the paladin.
>>53761008
Stop speaking of yourself in third person.
>>
>>53761008
Right, as following the rules is the definition of being contrarian.

If the DM allows it, then do it. Who cares? There's no debate. Why argue over the largely arbitrary distinctions and nebulous definitions of the mental stats?
>>
>>53760967
Yeah, because I believe the ideal image whether tame or lewd is of the woman as she is described in a scenario that makes sense!
>>
>>53761038
Rules exist to be broken. You sound like you wouldn't kill a God, given the chance.

>he wouldn't kill God

Unbelievable.
>>
>>53761008
>Contrarian
>When it's you who's whining about the rules of the game
Maybe it's you who should go back.
>>
>>53761049
Man why wasn't Neeshka as romance option, fucking hell. No pun intended.
>>
>>53761067
Calm down Friedrich.
>>
>>53761084
There's a mod that fixes it. It even has a voiced cutscene, and Neeshka even sounds like herself!
http://www.gibberlings3.net/readmes/readme-nwn2rom.html
>>
Can bards live a sedientary lifestyle?
>>
>>53761069
>I don't like people that have their own ideas
>I just want to bitch at them
>>
>>53761135
You're the one bitching about rules not fitting your worldview, fag.
>>
>>53761119
No, it's pretty much the bard's code to fuck exotic bitches.
>>
>>53761174
What if the bitches come to you? You don't have to leave the chaise longue
>>
>>53761112
Now you tell me. Is there a recording or something? I don't feel like playing through the game again since I did it not so long ago.
>>
>>53761275
https://youtu.be/FYN8H8VKP8Y?t=1479
Whoa, this is not how I remember her sounding at all.
>>
Is paladin 17/battle master 3 a good combo?
>>
>>53761559
First of all
>Level 20 builds
Then...
>Delaying your aura
>Delaying improved divine smite
>Delaying your extra attack
>Not taking the capstone
And for what, for an action surge and crappy superiority dice?
>>
>>53761559
If you want to maximum nova, sure.
>>
>>53760853
When you see someone do that and then turn around and ask you what god you worship, you're gonna say whatever he wants.
>>
>>53761593
You take the Fighter levels after 11-12 obviously.
>>
>>53761593
>implying action surge isn't ridiculous
>implying you don't get second fighting style
>>
>When you want to do some prep work for your game but you have absolutely no idea what you should work on
>>
File: horriblethinghappened.jpg (54KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
horriblethinghappened.jpg
54KB, 720x480px
>Life Cleric pulls out his vape rig at the table
Well, there goes that party's main source of healing.
>>
>>53761593
We're doing a lvl 20 one shot, but if I were leveling from 1 I'd wait til 12 to do the MC
>>
http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Outlander

Can I replace the tool proficiency with a skill or would that be OP?
>>
>>53761901
Tool proficiency are not equivalent to skills, they are equivalent to languages.
>>
File: vape rig.jpg (52KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
vape rig.jpg
52KB, 600x315px
>>53761828
>vape rig
>>
>>53761721
Conversations. Conversations. Conversations.
>>
>>53761939
What would even a proficiency with a gaming set allow me to do?
>>
>>53761985
We do loaded dice or cards up sleeves and shit.
>>
>>53761985
Play some three card monty to get some gold during downtime
>>
>>53761985
You can beat people at cards or chess or whatever the fuck and take their money / info.
>>
>>53761985
advantage on gambling rolls
>>
>>53762017
>our Barb has faerun-chess proficiency
>at a fancy dinner party, shirtless
>asks a noble to play
>no i dont play with filthy peasants
>sack of 150gp on the table
>YOU THINK YOU'RE BETTER THAN ME
>noble says all right, i'll take your dirty money to teach you a lesson
>noble wins
>DOUBLE OR NOTHING
>ho ho ho
>noble wins
>DOUBLE OR NOTHING AGAIN
>noble gets hustled hard
>>
File: Radiant Soul.png (355KB, 603x344px) Image search: [Google]
Radiant Soul.png
355KB, 603x344px
How does Radiant Soul work with Magic Missile for a level 5? Does it do

> (1d4+1+5)*3
or
> (1d4+1)*3 + 5
>>
>>53762059
>>53762042
I don't see how "proficiency" makes you able to "roll better". I get that cheating with loaded dice is a thing but "proficiency" implies you're good at it. I can see poker or stuff, but cheating? That'd be something sleight-of-hand based or be about the tools themselves than how you use them.
>>
>>53762097
The latter. A spell does (level) damage regardless of how many times (or how many targets) it hits, hence the "once on each" and "one target".
>>
>>53762113
Gambling assumes that there's skill involved. Be it reading people, strategy or something else.

Yes in a pure chance game, tool profiency shouldn't matter but in those cases the GM should just roll to see who wins.
>>
>>53762113
It's more an understanding of what bets have good odds, who you can beat, when to hold em and when to fold em, etc.
Remember most people in DnD settings don't know statistics, so a skilled gambler could probably legitimately find winning wagers that others would fail to notice.
>>
>>53762173
>>53762182
I understand now
>>
>>53762134
I see thank you.
>>
What's your go to gambling game?
We like to play Ship, Captain, Crew.
>>
Are all spells like Friends, Detect Thoughts, etc. completely useless in a professional setting since they realize what happened pretty quickly?
>>
>>53759634
It's like I've always said - there's no such thing as Rhode Island. They just made it up to round out the flag.
>>
Rate my choice of magic items. For a party of level 6. Playing SKT so they went from 1-5 fast currently have no magic items. Trying to throw them a bone and give them some fun stuff.

Bard: Mac fuirmidh cittern. The guy doesn't give me a lot to work with rp wise.

TWF Barb: claw weapon, let's the user pounce on the first round of combat, increasing jump distance, dealing extra damage, and possibly knocking prone via more or less using grappling rules.

Dwarf life cleric: armor/belt that allows him to cast a few themed spells. Low number of charges. Gains a charge whenever he does productive dwarf manual labor or craftsmanship. In his case it would be stone cutting during downtime most likely.

Chain warlock: chains worn around the neck of the lock and the familiar. Allows the lock to cast spells through the familiar, adjusting the range, as long as they are within range to share senses. Allows the familiar to cast bestow curse once a day.

Group: cloak that allows casting moredkainnens mansion once per day, but it's shitty. One room, no customization, no servants, no food, just a small campground in a tent. Essentially an extra dimensional pop up campsite. Would be visible from the outside as a door.
>>
>>53762253
Play subtle spell sorcerer.
>>
> Want to play Thief Rogue because of Use Magic Device
> Realize that realistically none of my campaign will ever reach level 13

How do I deal with this conflict feeling.
>>
Rate this magic saddle for a paladin. Would you be happy to find this? What rarity should this be?

>Creatures you summon with Find Steed have maximum hit points equal to half your maximum hit points unless the creature's hit points are already higher, and they appear with a type of barding of your choice.
>When you cast Find Steed, you can summon a Giant Lizard with both variant traits (MM pg. 326) instead of one of the listed creatures.
>You can cast Investiture of Flame as a bonus action without expending a spell slot. You cannot do so again until you take a long rest. When you share Investiture of Flame with your mount, the mount can use the special action granted by the spell.
>>
>>53759195
EK Fighter?
>>
>>53760778
Easy. Cleric isn't a priest in dnd setting.
>>
>>53759217
>Of the supernatural.
not in dnd proper
try a different setting and system
>>
>>53762525
They are.
>>
>>53762488

I'm in a similar boat. I haven't figured out how to deal with it yet either.
>>
>>53762549
No. Go read PHB on Cleric section. They divide priesthood and cleric pretty clearly in there.
>>
>>53762599
If you can cast spells, you're a Cleric. Anything less is a priest in title only. No one in town says "go see the local priest" when little Jimmy is sick from bogrot if said priest is just a guy who memorized Fantasy Elf Bible.
>>
>>53760114
I've always preferred a bidding system. What you do is roll 4d6k3 (that's 4d6 drop lowest) 8 times for each player, and pool all the resulting rolls. Then, each player gets a budget of 8 points. Each player secretly writes down a number of points they want to spend, and then players take turns choosing one roll from the pool at a time, in order from the most points spent to the least. Resolve ties by rolling dice. Finally, players can spend their leftover points, one at a time, to increase either of their two worst ability scores (or any abilities tied for worst or second-worst).

So, let's say you wound up with 18, 12, 14, 13, 16, 9, and you've got 3 points to spend. You can increase your Dex (12) or Cha (9). You choose Dex, so your next choice is between Dex (13), Int (13), and Cha (9). You choose Dex again, so now your final choice is between Int and Cha.

You can easily adapt this method to different campaigns by varying the base dice roll and the point budget - increase the overall power level by adjusting the former, but reduce the impact of poor rolls and generally make characters more well-rounded with the latter.
>>
>>53759212
Her name sounds like a sneeze.
I remember when I first played NwN2 and her model didn't have a tail, but when Khelgar said something about her having a tail I was confused and presumed she was a dickgirl.
>>
>Want to make a stone sorcerer
>Earth based spells suck
>>
>>53762840
Stone Sorcerer is a gish, you don't cast earth spells, instead you smash your enemies with a hammer
>>
>>53762840
>I look at class names to fit my concept instead of fitting class abilities to my concept
>>
>>53759511
>>53759511
Tip: Don't take Eldritch Blast and don't take Hex.

You now have a unique warlock that you must discover how to play differently.
>>
>Next session will involve us dealing with bulettes.
>Everyone in the party is level 4, except for me
>This is a suicide
>Wait a minute
>What if I cast spirit guardians and sanctuary?
>I will fuck up their jumps, damage them AND be untouchable
>All the while dispensing healing spells
Just have to figure out of spiritual weapon is compatible with this tactic.
>>
File: naked rock man.jpg (366KB, 1600x1080px) Image search: [Google]
naked rock man.jpg
366KB, 1600x1080px
>>53762840
Just refluff other spells as hurling rocks.
>Rock Bolt
>Ray of Dirt
>Stoning Hands
>Magic Cobbles
>Gravel Ray
>Cloud of Rubble
>Earthball
>Boulder Bolt
>Slag Storm
>>
File: 1444699768886.jpg (94KB, 638x960px) Image search: [Google]
1444699768886.jpg
94KB, 638x960px
What feat should I give my Variant Human Drunken Master Monk? I'm liking Ritual Caster, Sharpshooter (for my darts), or Skilled. I'm thinking I shouldn't use Lucky because it seems really broken.

Also, attacking with a dart can trigger my bonus action unarmed strike or Flurry of Blows, right? If so I'm really thinking Sharpshooter would be fun. But three extra skills can come in handy, as can being able to learn and cast rituals.
>>
>>53762938
>All the while dispensing healing spells
You're going to blow all your slots in one combat for minimal gain. Otherwise the tactic sounds solid as long as you mean the sanctuary castings go on people besides you.
>>
>>53762938
You can't cast sanctuary the same turn (but can the next turn) and using sanctuary in such a way is against RAI even if it's RAW.
Using dodge+sanctuary is allowable but enemies can still try to grapple you to negate your dodge (if you had sanctuary, it'd be even harder to grapple you)
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/07/01/cast-witch-bolt-and-in-the-next-turn-cast-sanctuary-witch-bolt-cancel-sanctuary/
>>
File: 1466177877556.gif (618KB, 400x229px) Image search: [Google]
1466177877556.gif
618KB, 400x229px
>>53762957
>Ray of Dirt
>>
>>53762938
>fighting Earth Cultists riding bullettes
>at level 5
>our Cleric Stone Shapes the cultists' stone armor into a solid shell around them
>remaining cultists are terrified and immediately surrender
>we take a few of their bulettes and all their money
>>
>>53762957
>Color spray is just you throwing dirt
>>
>>53762967
Actually, scratch Resilient. I misread it and don't need any ability score increases except for Dex or Wis, and I already have Dex saves and don't need Wis saves.
>>
>>53763013
But stoneshape is 4th level spells anon
>>
File: pocketsand2.gif (227KB, 466x322px) Image search: [Google]
pocketsand2.gif
227KB, 466x322px
>>53762992
Speed lowered by 10 feet because your shins are all dinged up from tiny rocks.

>>53763031
>>
>>53762761
What happens when everyone bids eight? Or zero? What happens with ties?
>>
>>53763013
>Stone armor
The dumb deserve to die.
>>
>>53763031

>pocket sand
>>
File: IMG_1393.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1393.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
>>53763031
Was Dale a earth basedsorcerer this whole time?
>>
I am running a low magic campaign and I want a non magical ranger that has no spellcasting at all. How can I balance this? I was planning on allowing the player to take both the beast master and hunter ranger archtypes (from revised ranger of course). Will this be broken, not good enough or what? All advice greatly appreciated.
>>
>>53763042
>But stoneshape is 4th level spells anon
Cleric was level 5
>>
>>53763042
Guess we were higher.

>>53763058
You laugh, but rocks are free and normal people who steal your shit aren't going to be able to maintain their pilfered armor.
we did steal their armor though and Stone Shaped it again to make some stone plate barding for my axebeak
>>
>>53763085
But 5th levels only get 3rd level spells
>>
>>53763085
This is the problem with D&D using "level" to explain character power and spell strength.
>i'm a third level character who knows second level spells
>fireball is available at third level
reeeeeeee
>>
File: Gelato man.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Gelato man.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
>>53763081
>I am running a low magic campaign
>>
>>53763081
There's an old UA for this.
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/DX_0907_UA_RangerOptions.pdf
>>
>>53763078
>fought creatures who dwelled within the earth
>used poison a lot
>paranoid about insidious signals being carried through the air, his opposing element
Yes.
>>
File: slight_discomfort.jpg (19KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
slight_discomfort.jpg
19KB, 500x334px
>Do geology-like degree
>See people even considering using stone armour at all
>>
>>53762938
I've just realized that bulettes have burrow speed, and literally nothing prevents them from running away and only coming out when we go away.
Fuck.
>>
File: 1487024086972.png (84KB, 323x497px) Image search: [Google]
1487024086972.png
84KB, 323x497px
>>53763081
>low magic campaign
>>
File: 1497217256293.gif (3MB, 640x359px) Image search: [Google]
1497217256293.gif
3MB, 640x359px
>>53763133
problem?
>>
The modern magic UA makes for some fun situations.
>>
>>53763133
>shoot an arrow at the sidewalk
>nothing happens
compressive strength biiiiiitch
>>
>>53763106
Thank you! I have actually seen this before, i was a bit worried that the guardian abilities are a bit too similar to magic. The setting I have created involves magic users being shunned, hated and attacked due to them causing an apocalypse tier event (basically freezing the entire world). I think i may work features from the primeval guardian into the ranger, such as giving my player ambuscade.
>>53763105
Is there a problem with this?
>>
>>53763159
>Pick up sidewalk
>Start wearing it
>GENIUS
>Oh no wait you can't move

>>53763156
I mean, I'd probably have it as allowable if you had 20 strength or something.
>>
>>53763158
My setting has trains, guns, and telegraphs so I'm hoping someone plays a Modern Magic character.
>>
>>53763144
It's not that magic doesn't exist, in fact it is incredibly powerful. It is just also very rare and feared by common people. Most magic items are remnants from generations ago for example.
>>
Out of a hundred random people, how many have more than one level? How many are a different alignment than TN? How many have a player class?
>>
File: 1464962160221.gif (234KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1464962160221.gif
234KB, 500x500px
>>53763179
>can't move
thats what you get for skipping leg day
>>
>>53762457
Bump for feedback
>>
>>53763195
We were playing in what is basically shadowrun last night, with 5e rules, and the modern magic UA allowed. As DM, I had a blast, and I think my players enjoyed it too.

Find Vehicle is a hell of a spell.
>>
>>53763179
>cement weighs more than iron
dumbass
>>
>>53763221
Rocks are fucking dense. The reason you wear metal armour is because you don't need thick metal, but with rocks they tend to be pretty brittle and aside from being hard to work (since you have stone shape) you can break them apart with a commoner's strength.

>>53763238
>Wear rock as thin as metal armour
>Oh wait, it's fucking useless
>>
R8 my barbarian subclass idea:

>Path of the Enraged Magician
>Get a spells known progression like Eldritch Knight, don't get any slot though
>While raging you can cast an unlimited amount spell till the rage ends
>DC as 8 + Str mod + Prof
>>
>>53763254
>implying I'm wearing it as thin as metal
Metal sucks, it's already too easy to puncture with bows and shit. Good luck popping a rock with your crossbow, twat.
>>
>>53762957
>sodomizing sediment
>shielded stalagmites
>>
>>53763057

I answered this in the original post.

>Resolve ties by rolling dice.

If that's unclear, have each player in a tie roll a die of arbitrary size. Players take their turns in descending order of the results. Resolve ties on this dice roll in the same way, until an unambiguous ordering is established.
>>
File: IMG_1394.png (207KB, 600x449px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1394.png
207KB, 600x449px
>>53763254
Fucking weakling doesn't even lift, dont you know that they're magically treated rock armor
>>
>>53763179
>Not tying rocks ontop of thin wood on leather armor
Do you even rock bro?
>>
File: 1472159450054.png (34KB, 152x186px) Image search: [Google]
1472159450054.png
34KB, 152x186px
>>53763272
>Path of the Enraged Magician
>not NERD RAGE
>>
>>53763232
>fiendish SUV
>>
>>53763254
>Rocks are fucking dense.
like my muscles
you fucking twink, you think a fighter of my stature couldnt easily run or swim with a set of armor made entirely from stone?
think again
sure I could have been a wizard and by now id be casting all sorts of reality bending spells but no
I decided to be RIPPED instead
ladies love it
eat shit nerds
>>
>>53763156
ACTUALLY, Havel's Armor is made from an alloy that simply resembles stone.
>>
File: IMG_1395.png (9KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1395.png
9KB, 512x448px
>>53763319
Where us the campaign set, the Mother universe?
>>
File: christine.jpg (58KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
christine.jpg
58KB, 480x720px
>>53763319
>>
File: latest[2].jpg (41KB, 1256x716px) Image search: [Google]
latest[2].jpg
41KB, 1256x716px
>>53763319
I imagine it looks sort of like this, except you know, an SUV.
>>
Stone sorc vs hexblade for a fun dps Gish?
>>
>>53763272
Yeah, nah, that's like EK but better considering you get to spam the shield spell all day / absorb elements and then get to chuck around at-will haste buffs, fireballs, whatever. Or you can misty step everywhere and then attack, or this and that.
At the very least it should use a non-strmod DC and even then.. Honestly, it should promote out of combat spellcasting to give barbarian utility, I think.

>>53763279
It's probably good at stopping those sorts of things, but that's what a shield is for. When you're in close combat (which is where D&D is most deadly anyway) it's not going to fare well structurally. You'll need it repaired after every single encounter, and the cleric is going to start getting pissed at you.

>>53763306
Is this the same convenient nonsensical magical treatment that makes flesh golems immune to non-adamantine weapons for some reason?

>>53763310
I mean, it's functional, doesn't mean it's going to be great.

>>53763329
Yeah, maybe if you get 20 strength, at which point you should have the fucking money to stop being a poorfag relying on a hedge wizard and get proper armour.
>>
>Play Wizard
>Go full fuckin' utility, half my spell book is nothing but rituals for every situation
>Half my prepared spells are shit like Feather Fall, Shield and Absorb Elements
>For offensive spells, as a necromancer, go with necrotic damaging spells
>Ready for anything
>Newb DM, none of my utility shit ever comes up, ever
>All his enemies are immune to necrotic damage

I've really been turned off to wizards.
>>
>>53763387
>his shield also isn't a rock
>>
>>53763389
>implying the DM should read your prepared spells and make the situation up to tailor to you
>>
>>53763389
Why aren't you using utility spells to kill things, Anon
>>
>>53763387
>Yeah, nah, that's like EK but better
It would have its own spell list

What about Constitution for spells?
>>
>>53763389
Wait for animate dead and make an undead army.
>>
>>53762957
>>Rock Bolt
ACDC projectile.

>>Ray of Dirt
Poo in loo.

>>Stoning Hands
Rreligion of peace.

>>Slag Storm
Brittish rave party.

Just tell him to use the catapult spell.
>>
>>53763414
Con for spells works if you really want to go that way.

But gosh, can't we have barbarians that aren't dumb sometimes?

Having its own spell list could work, too, if you avoid the spells that would just get spammed, so they're casting stuff like chromatic orb as an alternative to attacking.
>>
>>53763419

My undead army kept dying to narrative things, like rocks falling on them or getting sucked into a randomly opened magic portal.

Not even a save or die thing, just a die thing.
>>
File: 1496253705119.jpg (27KB, 403x365px) Image search: [Google]
1496253705119.jpg
27KB, 403x365px
>>53763454
Well fuck. Don't be turned off from the most creative class just because some faggot DM is a fag.
>>
>>53763445
>so they're casting stuff like chromatic orb as an alternative to attacking
That's the idea though, it's only usable while raging

Spell list would be something like this:

1st Level
Burning Hands
Chromatic Orb
Expeditious Retreat
Thunderwave
Jump
Shield (???)

2nd Level
Scorching Ray
Ray of Enfeeblement
Melf's Acid Arrow
Spider Climb

3rd Level
Counterspell
Sleet Storm
Fireball
Lightning Bolt
Fear

4th Level
Stoneskin
Confusion
Fire Shield
Blight
Polymorph

5th Level
Cone of Cold
Bigby's Hand
>>
File: 1493897340867.png (152KB, 488x555px) Image search: [Google]
1493897340867.png
152KB, 488x555px
>>53763394
>>53763387
>>53763329
>>53763310
>>53763306
>>53763279
>>53763436
>not acquiring a wish spell
>not wishing yourself to become an earth elemental
>not ascending the mortal plane to join your new rocky brethren in the earth realm
>not becoming god of rock and roll
>>
File: stone armour.png (36KB, 361x69px) Image search: [Google]
stone armour.png
36KB, 361x69px
>>53763133
b-but the DMG says I can
>>
>>53763454
So you exist in a world where undead armies are prone to spontaneous existence failure? You can use this, anon! Consider building turbines on the cliffsides above your army, for example, to catch the boulders and generate power. Raise your army beneath a royal palace so that it, too, will be consumed by the extradimensional portal. It's kind of like how, in real life, we exploit God's furious hateboner for homosexuality by giving gay people lightning rods for their homes and harvesting the energy of all the thunderbolts He hurls their way.
>>
>>53763498
H A I L
G R U M B A R
>>
>>53763495
>Not being a level 20 warforged bard
>Not ascending to be god of metal
>>
Is there a complete list of all current classes and"subclasses"?
Or is https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html as complete as it gets?
>>
>>53763535
Yes
>>
>>53763535
No.
>>
>>53763541
>>53763552
Okay, Perkins.

>>53763535
Yes to the second one.
>>
>>53763535
Maybe.
>>
>>53763535
Maybe
>>
ay so like
Curse of Strahd
My characters immediately saw Ireena's bite marks, and the claw marks around the buildings, assumed she was turned completely despite her and ismarcks protests. I guess the description of pale skin and the dead body in the room didn't help.

The session ended shortly after that, what should Strahd do? He'd know, how would he react? I don't want him to just straight murder the party right now but thats all I can think of he would do.
>>
>>53763535
I don't know
>>
>>53763523

Would be nice. To put in a bit more perspective:

This DM started us off in this town, off the coast of Waterdeep, in which an "ion core" was discovered. "Automatons" roamed the streets and everyone in the city had, like, robotic exo-arms and shit. Couple weeks in, we finally make it to this ion core. I had known from the beginning that my wizard's goal in this she-bang would be fucking destroying this ion core, but no matter what I tried, I couldn't damage it in any way or form. Hit it with all my offensive magic? It absorbs it. Use magic to cause the environment to fall on it and damage it? Force field knocks it aside. Spend a month learning how to use the damn thing and nope, no self-destruct function or even an off button. Pretty salty.
>>
>>53763535
Could you rephrase the question?
>>
>>53763578
Strahd's fault for doing what he shouldn't do. I haven't seen the curse of strahd book but doesn't it say he's not supposed to do that?

He should an hero.
>>
>>53763578
There's something missing from your post.
Did they kill Ireena?

I'd have Strahd show up and tip them off about something terrible he has in plan for them.
>>
>>53763578
Won't his stupid girlfriend just come back to life with some Dark Power deformity like everyone else
>>
>>53763490
>most creative class

But that isn't an illusionist wizard or pact of the chain warlock, or thief/arcane trickster rogue
>>
>>53763651
I think you'll find that Fighter is the most creative class, lacking any special abilities whatsoever.
>>
>>53763629
>>53763629
My bad, yes, the players did kill Ireena assuming she was already a vampire.

Now I think about it, while Strahd can turn her body into a spawn, the players were talking about burning the body. I guess I can have him arrive and stop them. Not kill the party, just do enough that he can take the body and leave, while threatening much worse on them.
>>
>>53763601
What I'd recommend you do is wrap it in a shell of debris around the forcefield, break any physical supports keeping it in place, and then roll it into the ocean. Just make sure that the shell of rock is thick enough that the air trapped inside can't keep it buoyant.
>>
>>53763659
Is it day time? Because Strahd should totally barrel over there at Mach Bat to beat the shit out of them only to realize he's been on fire this whole time and retreat after two rounds and lick his wounds while the party comes to grips with how much They Just Fucked Up.
>>
>>53763657
Are you trolling or a literal retard?
>>
My character filled Strahd's coffin with wooden stakes and sealed it shut
>>
>>53763689
That's pretty much how it works in the novel.
>>
>>53763670

We just had our last session of that short campaign, so I won't be able to do anything to it. I was planning to use my newly acquired Stone Shape spell to spend a couple months just burying the fucking thing, but DM decided to trap us all in limbo for no apparent reason.

At which point my Wizard would attempt to construct a stargate (what we were traveling through when we got stuck) powered by the souls of my allies.
>>
>>53763687
>Barovia
>sunlight
Pick one.
>>
>>53763710
Why aren't you just dismantling the enemy automotons and rebuilding them into a five-part combining robot piloted by your party which will then utilize its Tetsurizer Swooooooooordo and cleave the ion core in twain?
>>
>>53763414
>CON for spells
>and they sperged when I suggested switching INT with WIS
>>
>>53763657
>Having less options to choose from inspires more creativity!

Only if you're some sort of a god of mundane items who can piece together and explain everything in a long-winded way that your DM just says 'yeah, fuck it, it works' before you waste any more time.

The wizard can do these same things this fighter can, it's just there's a number of things they can do without all the incessant faff and the possibility of the DM saying 'No, fuck you' or 'no, you're in the middle of combat, stop trying to make a car.'
>>
>>53763750

After we stopped the automaton uprising, I used their now lifeless shells as camoflague for my skeletons. In-character, no one ever realized I was a necromancer.
>>
>>53763702
I mean if the sunsword didn't kill him that certainly will be annoying
>>
>>53763657
^Inb4 I was only pretending to be retarded.
>>
>>53763760
But I'm smart and the Wizard players are dumb, relying on magic as a crutch.
>>
>>53763756
It's for a barbarian who casts blasting spells instead of attacking with his weapon.

And almost no one replied, as people here don't like homebrew, they just want to argue with others.
>>
>>53763783
It's the difference between an engineer with nothing and an engineer who already has all their parts.

You could call the guy with nothing creative if he makes everything out of scrap metal, but what if your DM doesn't give you scrap metal at every opportunity and you can't carry enough?
>>
>>53763851
So you're saying the engineer without all their parts...
has to get more creative?
>>
File: sweatingblackman.gif (172KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
sweatingblackman.gif
172KB, 400x400px
>>53763863
>>
>>53763863

I'm not really a part of this conversation, but I do want to inform you that nigger-rigging is not creative.
>>
>>53759511
this may come as a shock to you, but you don't HAVE to use eldritch blast and hex. stop caring about your dps.
>>
>>53763494
>Shield
Would be spammed for +5 AC all the time but no reactions
>Expeditious Retreat
Would be spammed for dash speed all the time after raging if they don't have something to do with their bonus action. .. Which might be okay considering PAM/GWM is pretty strong. But you can use expeditious retreat on the first round and then use it on other rounds and cast a main spell as well considering it's concentration. So probably not.
>Counterspell
Would be.. Annoying, I guess.
>Fireball
I guess that's kinda the idea of the barbarian, but at that point there's not really any point to doing anything but spamming AoEs. And at that level 8d6 half on successful save is still.. Strong. It's more than hunter-ranger's volley ability.
>Polymorph
>At-will
Oh dear god
At least it's concentration
>Fifth level
Third casters don't get that far, do they?
>>
>>53763750
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqjLbA5YINg
>>
>>53763863
Only if their DM allows them to.
It all relies on the DM giving you what you need.
>>
Reminder that wizard can use mundane objects and creativity too. This is why Batman doesn't make sense.
>>
>>53763917
>Oh dear god. At least it's concentration
Maybe I remove it, I dunno

>Third casters don't get that far, do they?
True, will fix it
>>
>>53763957
Their MacGyver skills have been rotted by decades of magic use to solve problems. They will never be as competent as a true mundane.

It's like saying your American handiman can be just as creative as some slavshit "contractor" if he chooses to not go down to Home Depot and buy the correct tool or equipment. Fool, he's done that too much in the past, it would never occur to him to balance a ladder out of a second story window and the roof of a garbage truck so he can do repair work on the third floor exterior.
>>
File: 1474633772195.jpg (15KB, 217x277px) Image search: [Google]
1474633772195.jpg
15KB, 217x277px
Can we all agree that Gandalf was a Fighter 17/Wizard 3 with Magic Initiate?
>>
>>53763957
But batman is a wizard too. He use magic to hide his batcave from magical scrying.
>>
>>53764012
None of this shit makes any sense at all.
>>
>>53764023
no, because Gandalf was an angel.
>>
>>53763722
>not using sunswords
>>
>>53764023
He was an Aasimar Lore Bard. Learn your fucking setting details.
>>
File: 1458682074658.png (394KB, 1220x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1458682074658.png
394KB, 1220x1080px
>>53763659
Oh, he'll kill the fuck out of them then. RIP.
>>
>>53764033
>guy has lived in the woods all his life
>was raised by wolves
>has survived off roots and berries for decades, weathered multiple blizzards and a forest fire, fought off bear attacks, and built a water-powered mill for grinding nuts
>other guy is an accountant who was in the Boy Scouts for a few years and occasionally goes camping
Gee, they both have some knowledge of forestry and are equally capable of all tasks in the woods, but one of these fuckers will know how to build a shack out of sticks and woven leaves for shelter in the storm while the other will curse his rotten luck for not being able to buy a tent, because buying a fucking tent is the outdoor survival equivalent of being a Wizard.
>>
>>53763689
Sealed it how?
>>
>>53764166
Magic
>>
>>53764166
Sovereign glue, duh.
>>
>>53764164
Please keep your Batman fanfiction in /co/. We discuss real games here, not some comic book trash, where superpowers somehow rob you of your brains.
>>
>>53764194
Apparently being a casterfag robs of you creative insults, too.
>>
Anyone have the r-n-w character sheets?
>>
>>53764212
Oh, are we in a shit-flinging competition? In this case, I'm yet to see something beyond
>Casters just won't think of using anything mundane! Yes, all casters, they're all dumb. Because I said so.
>>
>>53764023
He was an Aasimar Bard 1/Paladin 7.
>>
>>53764312
>Continuing a fighter vs wizard smarts argument
Have you never been in 5eg before?
>>
>>53764342
Poor schmuck probably doesn't even know the difference between a Venn and Euler diagram.
>>
File: Wizard Apprenticeship.jpg (873KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Wizard Apprenticeship.jpg
873KB, 1680x1050px
>>53764366
>>
>>53764398
Why is it that so many Wizard PCs were never actually fucking apprentices who studied for years under a master or went to a dedicated school until they were fucking 30 before they could reliably manage first level spells, but instead just found a book one day and learned how to cast Fireball after watching other people stab enough goblins to level up?
>>
>>53764435
I had a kenku character who was an aprentice, he picked up on the spells real quick
>>
>>53764483
>be a kenku wizard
>party member says he's got a new spell for you
>hands you a scroll he looted off the enemy archmage
>fuck
>>
>>53764435
Yes you have to study for about 30 years before you can even call yourself a wizard, then you have two choices; keep studying in safetey at some college and maybe reach 5th level wizardry before you die of old age (as a human) or go risk your life adventuring every single day to speed up the process and earn treasure as a bonus.
>>
>>53764504
>come on, Kawde, the spell in that scroll will collapse the demon portal before Aggranoxx the Destructor enters our realm
>cast it already, I can feel the fires of Phlogeroth on my mind
>sweatingbird.tiff
>>
>>53764504
>implying the kenku can't just cast teleport to visit his wizard bro to learn the spell
>>
>>53763826
It literally changes nothing to the mechanic in some cases. In this one, since you're switching your fighting for your blasting, I doub it matters too. In fact it makes CON less of a dump.
>>
>>53762789
You're either blind or a /d/eviant. Also yeah, the cute name is part of the appeal.
>>
>>53764435
My sorcerer went to a wizard college. He failed out before graduating because they didn't like that he couldn't show is work. Also he spent more time boning than studying.

And I'm not talking about necromancy.
>>
>>53765020
>My sorcerer went to a wizard college
why would you do that
>>
>>53759157
Can't you choose a different totem at each Totem Barb milestone? Best 3rd level options are of course the Bear resistances, and then eagle is very awesome, and elk speed is nice in some multiclass builds. I find that multi classing monk barbarian, you can take the elk power to make up for the speed you lose from monk levels.

Eagle totem dash makes for some crazy fucking encounters. I was playing an araacocra barbarian with eagle totem a few weeks back, rush in from afar for two reckless attacks, crit once hit the other, then dash the fuck out of range of the enemy and on my next turn whip two javelins into it's gaping maw as it chased after me, it died.

Best 6th level is the double lifting capacity, coupled with the new Brawny feat, and a goliath, lifting upwards of two tons at a strength score of 20.

14th level I don't really get the eagle totem thing. You just like float or something? Is it supposed to be flavored as huge weird jumps since it's in short bursts. Seems kind of dumb, and it's a bit too high magic for a barbarian. Maybe if he grew some spectral spirit wings it might be cool flavor-wise, flying barbs are really fun to play.
>>
File: Path of the Enraged Magician.pdf (693KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Path of the Enraged Magician.pdf
693KB, 1x1px
Still working in progress, I think Wild Magic fits the theme and might add it later.

What do you guys think?
>>
>>53765041
He had natural magical gifts and sorcerers are really rare in the setting so nobody knew he was one.
>>
>>53759195
>>53759217
That's literally the opposite of a skeptic.
>>
>>53759314
Open it in photoshop, save as images?
>>
>>53764435
My current character is an apprentice kinda. Their master is an evil wizard ghost that lives in their head.
>>
>>53765131
I mean, he could play a skeptic in the 9/11 skeptic sense.
>>
I want to make a Cantrip master.

What do I do to get as many as possible? Would you allow a feature of sorts, that allowed me to add something like a d10 per spell level slot used to empower it? So like
>Ray of Frost
>4d8 spell attack
>Spend a level 9 spell slot
>Now does 4d8+9d10
>>
>>53765042
They should've probably also added a line saying that you float down gently rather than fall.

This way if you fly 40 feet up to hit that Beholder in the face you also take 4d6 damage right afterwhen you hit the ground.

On the other hand you do avoid opportunity attacks since falling is not voluntary movement.
>>
>>53759157
>Player wants to play a Warlock. I warn that they are basically magic fighters that spam EB
>4 sessions in he wants to switch to literally anything else.
It happens every time, they think they can make up the value via RP, or innovative spell use or invocations. Yet all fall to the spell-slot, EB memes.
>>
I don't want to ask things in a thread at page 10, make new
>>
>>53765654
Do it yourself, faggot.
>>
Anyone use Leomund's Tiny Hut? Is it worth it? I have two uses of it a day. I don't even start with a bedroll.
>>
>>53765686
My bard pretty much always saves a spell slot for it.

It is like a miniature safety tent. It's great.
>>
>>53765686
It's a ritual and wizards cast rituals without preparing them

Remember you can't set foot outside it though, so you can't go outside to stand watch, or it gets dispelled. You'll just sleep comfy for 8 hours while others take turns watching for baddies.

Also our DM dispelled it all the time before any event started. Pretty shitty thing to do but he's not a very good DM, he does all the things DMs should never do.
>>
>>53765686
It's a pretty safe way to sleep anywhere assuming things around you don't all come with Dispel or Disintegrate.
>>
Anyone know a good adventure to run for a one-shot? The level doesn't really matter.
>>
>>53765794
>>53765698
>>53765710
My DM warned that it is pretty easily surrounded, but it is otherwise pretty great.

I might need to drop a early level spell known. It just seems weird to have two casts of it and no other level 2 spells. I'm a Bard.
>>
>>53765514
Sorcerer. Convert points down so you can use quickened/twinned spell and twin/quicken cantrips everywhere.

Or use eldritch knight and rogue and a hand crossbow to
>cast cantrip
>make an attack with war magic
>get sneak attack on that attack

Or sorlock and just eldritch spam blast.

The EK-rogue up there only comes online from level 7 onwards and is kinda half-assed but kinda works aside from the MADness if you really want to use a broad range of cantrips. Maybe sorcerer too. Otherwise you'll either have to refluff artificer or get some sort of homebrew feat that makes cantrips more powerful. Or sort-of-refluff a rogue that does slightly less damage but uses cantrips to fight and has additional effects like ray of frost's.
>>
>>53765974

You may migrate when ready
>>
>>53765686
If you have ritual casting, absolutely.

>>53765698
>Saves a spell slot for it when they could cast it as a ritual
>>
>>53765686
this: >>53765710
having it as a ritual as wizard is super useful, especially in somewhere tough to camp like the underdark
>>
I want to make a paladin rogue, essentially trying to recreate the avenger class sorta. He gets sent by his order to apprehend or kill criminals that city watches won't go after due to corruption, etc, or are outside jurisdiction. A holy warrior of JUSTICE that gets training by criminals to catch criminals. He's dex obviously. Feats? Paths? Medium armor master?
>>
>>53766066
Oathbreaker PAM paladin that doesn't multiclass into rogue and minmaxes to hell and back and probably does twice the damage
you're welcome, I have saved you
>>
I'm playing a Skarn soon. Any architects here? Need some idea of how to complain about architecture.
>>
>>53766533
>rounded archways are SOOOO last century
>>
File: Way of the Demonic Gate.pdf (335KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Way of the Demonic Gate.pdf
335KB, 1x1px
Look at my shitty brew.
Thread posts: 385
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.