[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 33

File: alt bgg.png (912KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
alt bgg.png
912KB, 800x800px
Last thread:
>>53656354
Pastebin:
>http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Having to teach a new game to some 8 year olds the other day got me thinking. What's the best rulebuook in your collection? The worst? What games can you just give the rules to someone and say "ok go ahead" come back 5-10 minutes later and they've got it all figured out without your help?
>>
File: Blokus.jpg (25KB, 351x355px) Image search: [Google]
Blokus.jpg
25KB, 351x355px
>>53745840
>What games can you just give the rules to someone and say "ok go ahead" come back 5-10 minutes later and they've got it all figured out without your help?

Pic related - my parents are in their late 70's / early 80's and it took me less than 30 seconds to explain the game rules.
>>
File: apocalypze.jpg (78KB, 650x842px) Image search: [Google]
apocalypze.jpg
78KB, 650x842px
>>53745840
>What's the worst rulebook in your collection?

Pic very F'ing related! I've got a pdf that came out many many months later that I *think* fixes the most glaring screw-ups in the editing (like leaving out entire paragraphs or cutting things off in mid-sentence). After trying to read the rules the first time and discovering what a train-wreck they were, I haven't had a lot of hope that the update is better.
>>
Check this out guys. It plays a lot like Dominion but with combat that reminds me a lot of the combat in MtG. Plus the graphic style is awesome but I guess that's a matter of taste.

It's currently on Kickstarter if you're interested. Have a look. It's pretty cool imo.
>>
>>53746234
>Plus the graphic style is awesome but I guess that's a matter of taste

Err yeah, definitely a matter of taste
>>
>>53746332
Yup I totally get when somebody would find it ugly but personally I love that old school comic book style.
>>
>>53746362
The art style reminds me a bit of the 'Kill 6 Billion Demons' comic. (Can't recall if that's the exact name of the comic.)
>>
Between Feast for Odin/ Agricola / Agricola 2016 / Caverna / Le Havre / At the gates of loyang , which one has the most replay value?
>>
File: THAT2.png (28KB, 487x770px) Image search: [Google]
THAT2.png
28KB, 487x770px
Which is your favorite out of these?
>>
>>53746894
ZERTZ life
>>
>>53746894
The fuck is this?
>>
>>53746894
YINSH; at least til I get a chance to try out LYNGK and see if it's as sexy as it looks in the quick video BGG had on it
>>
Which 2-player board game should I get my parents? They are retired in their 60's like travelling, music and western civ. They enjoy tetris and puzzles/crosswords. Thanks bros.
>>
>>53748061
Hard to say. A lot of people who aren't into games can only play simple board games, but those are all very boring, moreso if they are only two player.
>>
>>53748061
>Tetris fans
Patchwork is really solid, but the theme doesn't appeal to everyone
>>
>>53748061
The Voyages of Marco Polo is a great game for 2-4 people. It's a beautiful and thinky Euro dice placement game without being overwhelming. It's about traveling and fulfilling contracts using resources such as pepper, silk and gold. Every game is different because of the modular and random nature in which you set up the board and there are 8 different and awesome player powers which also influence the game a great deal. One of my absolute favorite games. Can be difficult finding it outside of Europe though.
>>
>>53749023
looks too heavy for beginners. It is on my want to play list though thanks.
>>
>>53749088
It looks heavy but I have introduced the game to several novices and even nongamers and not only has there never been a problem but it's always been a great success, no matter the group. The game really is fairly simple. The complex part is your own strategic thinking.
>>
>>53746234
Funded! Yay!
>>
>>53749357
Found it with 60€ wew lad
>>
>>53746861
Interested in this also. Want to get into one of these games, but it's a decent chunk of cash if I'm not going to get a good few hours play out of it
>>
>>53749562
I usually see it for 35-40€. On amazon.de it costs 40€. But the reprint (in 16 languages) will hit stores in August so there's that.
>>
>>53749600
Yeah, thats why im trying to have some opinions, the internet is too divided but agricola seems the most picked one.
>>
If you had to create the perfect board game package, consisting of 10 games, which games would you include?
Would you make sure to cover most genres? Player count? Theme? Playing time?
>>
>>53749876
Agricola is the best game, requires the most strategy, and also has the most replayability. However many people dislike it due to every farm being extremely similar, the main focus being on action economy, victory point minmaxing, and not starving. The actual "building of a farm" barely happens.

Feast for odin is a bit cleaner but less strategic. Caverna allows players to do what they want at the price of replayability and interactivity. I havent played the others.

If you dont mind a clear disconnect between mechanics and gameplay, and dont mind being stressed every turn, and dont mind that the endgame will be "the same" every game, then i highly recommend agricola. Original or 2016 are both fine. 2016 is probably better balanced but has less variety.
>>
>>53748061
Jaipur might be worth a look, it's a pretty good 2 player game and perfect for [spoilers]playing on maglev trains.[/spoilers]
>>
>>53748061
If you don't get them patchwork it would be a crime
>>
>>53750668
I would try to cover a wide range of heaviness and playtimes. Fuck theme. I would prefer to have different genres, but don't mind an overlap if they are of different heaviness and playtime.

My 10 games would be:
A deck of cards. Preferably a nice full tarot. Cheating, yes. But by the fact that most people are familiar with a deck, and the great variety possible, it's impossible not to include. Also, Screw, Conquian, Texas Hold'm, Hearts, and my homeruled version of War are each good enough games to be included on their own. You can use a deck to play stuff like Mafia, Skull, Sushi Go, or any other simple game.

#2 - Cacassone. A classic for a reason. Simple enough to teach to toddlers and geriatrics, complex enough to have real strategy and replayability.

#3 - Agricola - Preferably with curated occupation and improvement decks. This game is great. I don't know what else to say.

#4 - Hive - Deceptively simple, great clean design. Take it anywhere and play. I'd rather include this than chess, backgammon, or any of the old classics.

#5 - An MTG custom gauntlet. A carefully designed set of decks (anywhere between 6 and 12 unique decks w/ sideboards) that have been balanced against each other. Format agnostic. Full of custom cards to make shit work. Been meaning to build this IRL.

#6 - Kingdom Builder. I just played this recently and already it's become one of my favorites. Again, simplicity and clean design create interesting strategic depth without bogging shit down with rules or phases.

#7 - Chinatown - Takes the classic bartering that people love from Monopoly and Catan, and turns it into a decent game finally.

#8 - Codenames - Feel free to include your favorite party game here, but this one feels the most clever and strategic while remaining fun. Just make sure to use a timer.

#9 - Heroscape - I have a soft spot for this, and it fills the wargaming niche. What a fucking great game.

#10 - Battleball - Fuck yea.
>>
What is a good co-op board game that is actually difficult?

Basically I want the Pathfinder Card Game with actual difficulty so you have to work as a team together and actually think.
>>
>>53751786
Flash Point can be very difficult depending on your set-up.
>>
>>53751786

Arkham Horror LCG
>>
>>53751786
Kingdom Death
>>
>>53746417
Kill 6 Billion Demons is a poor man's James Stockoe
>>
>>53751902
>Kingdom Death

Well damn that looks fucking amazing. Is there anyway to get a copy for under $500?
>>
>>53752139
No.
>>
>>53748061
>They enjoy tetris

Pic related... >>53746008
>>
>>53751786
>What is a good co-op board game that is actually difficult?

Forbidden Desert
Pandemic (initially - then add expansions to increase the challenge level.)
Gears of War
Level 7 'Invasion'
XenoShyft
Robinson Crusoe
>>
>>53751786
Don't a lot of coop games have different difficulty levels via simple numerical changes?
>>
>>53745840
Just got back from gaming with my friends:

Played a game of Dixit while everyone finished up eating. (I narrowly avoided coming in last - I just wasn't connecting the dots imagery wise today.) Then we played a full 7 player game of 7 Wonders which was fun. We had a couple of new players who did well. I managed to win, but the new player to my right gave me a run for my victory with solid play. And we finished up with a 4 player game of Roll for the Galaxy. One of our younger players really likes it and was excited to find yet another strategy which he used to win the game. I felt bad for the player to my left - they bottle-necked themselves on credits early game and while they had a large dice pool, most of the mid and late game they were struggling to get them back into their cup.
>>
>>53752139
Tabletop Sim. I guess.
>>
>>53751880
This
>>
>>53751786
Fuse! Honestly one of my favorite games, came sooooooooo close to beating it on 5 player insane. I have yet to use the level 6 cards though. Ghost stories is crazy hard, the first time I played it it really seemed like there was no way to actually win, but it is possible. Pandemic Iberia with all 4 special abilities for the diseases - absolutely perfect coordination required for this. Legendary encounters: alien with all four movies mixed together is pretty brutal. Coop games with traitors can be difficult too, but that's player dependant.
>>
Is Cyclades worthwhile with only 3 players?
>>
>>53746234
Lazy shills are lazy
>>
>>53751786
The Grizzled.
>>
File: 555.jpg (7KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
555.jpg
7KB, 284x177px
>>53759561
>Let's go to one of the worst places on the internet full of unemployed, caustic assholes who hate everything and try to advertise.

I mean, I'm sure it's happened, but what's the more likely scenario here? Some game designer is that desperate even though he's already fully funded, or someone is just excited by a kikescammer and wants to talk about it?
>>
>>53760169
>but what's the more likely scenario here?
A shitposter trying to stir the few chucklefucks who always take the bait.
>>
File: IMG_9542.jpg (97KB, 500x625px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9542.jpg
97KB, 500x625px
>>53747282
Seconding >>53753181 post. What's even better is there is a Blokus version made for two players, Blokus Duo (great name right)? It's such a good game, I love it. One time I brought my copy and taught it to a girl I was on a date with...and then she broke up with me a week later so YMMV ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>53760537
Sadly this version is very hard to find, alongside the other two player version of Blokus, Blokus To Go. Still worth keeping an eye out for imo.
>>
>>53750680
if its basically the same why it has the most replayability?
>>
>>53761757
Agricola awards you a certain amount of points for every thing you have on your farm, up to a small cap. Which means that all farms more or less end up the same, since you want one that's diverse rather than focused.

Beyond that, the sheer amount of cards available, and the impact they have on your engine-building (not your farm itself), provide a ton of replay.
>>
Just getting into the hobby, rate my cart!
Trying to get games from a spread of genres (party, coop, regular strategy), and with at least some decent artstyle.
>>
>>53762355
It could be worse, but also could be better.
Do you play any other kind of game already?
>>
>>53762355
Those are all really fun games I hope you enjoy :)
>>
>>53762414
I'm -of course- the one pushing board games into my group. We played Catan and everyone pretty much loved it (even if some of us are already burning out after a few games), only criticism was it was "ugly". LotR LCG was a hit, but until some expansions come in it kinda "ran out". Finally Android Netrunner was a hit among a few of us, but it was "too hard" for others, plus it beign a 2p game only kinda doesn't merges well with the group.
I'm of course open to suggestions!
>>
File: pillars of the earth.jpg (3MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
pillars of the earth.jpg
3MB, 2816x2112px
>>53762492
>only criticism was it was "ugly"
Catan at the time it was released was praised for being gorgeous, game art styles change a lot over time. For future reference a lot of Mayfair's euro games have similar art/component quality, once it was the pinnacle of gaming, but they don't put near as much into it these days as everyone else. Makes me really interested to see what happens to the reprint of pic related in the ~10 years since it first came out.
>>
>>53761747
I didn't know it was hard to find. I could have sworn I saw it at Walmart or Target recently but I could be way wrong
>>
>>53762492
Did you enjoy any particular parts of any of those games? I can be a lot more confident in my suggestions if I can match game mechanics such as Catan's trading elements, or Android Netrunner's asymmetrical gameplay.
>>
>>53761964
Agricola
>Boards all end up looking nearly the same
>Random cards dictate your strategy for points
>Can get hosed or hose others because of cards

Caverna
>Much wider range of strategies leads to boards looking very different
>You can come up with your own strategy and make it work
>Only way you will lose is if you get out played
>Dorfs

I can totally see your point now! Agricola is so much better than Caverna! I would much rather have my strategy dictated to me so I can just follow the garden path over and over and over and over! It's so much easier just letting the cards inform your actions instead of having to think about what other players are doing!
>>
File: 71LL56UW9JL._SL1280_.jpg (163KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
71LL56UW9JL._SL1280_.jpg
163KB, 1280x960px
>>53745840
What's the worst "bargain bin" game you've ever played?

Pic related, it's three layers of random number generators (dice, spinners, four decks of event cards) and it sticks with the tennis games/sets/matches so you might have to play dozens of rounds of this shitshow just to figure out who effectively won a coin flip.
>>
File: 20170611_210449.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170611_210449.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>53762811
There's even this uplifting motivational speech on the last page.

Unfortunately there's more info on this trainwreck of a game than on Joe Quadri himself.
>>
>>53762757
What about le havre?
>>
>>53763110
Haven't played it, so I don't have any critiques or compliments.
>>
>>53762626
Heh, that's pretty interesting. I think "bland" was the exact word, more than "ugly" actually. I think artstyle and the looks is going to be a thing in my group in particular since most of us are either graphic designers, illustrators or artists.
>>53762682
To be honest, I'm not sure what we liked. For sure the paranoia in Catan, playing with the "don't give him wheat! he's got like 3 hidden vps for SURE" and "you GOTTA build a road here or we all lose next round!" was great, so that's why I think Dead of Winter will play nicely. The coop aspects of LotR LCG also went well. But I think we're not matured enough as a boardgame group to be able to tell.
>>
What are some war games that resolve combat in a way that is influenced by the player's skill? Dice chucking is fun and all but are there any other ways that combat can be a little less random?
>>
>>53763618
Kemet, Rex, and Game of Thrones all use no-dice combat that is some variation of "Play cards secretly, then reveal, best set of cards+bonuses wins". They're all pretty satisfying.
>>
>>53763618
Falling Sky

The only randomness in the combat comes from whether legions, forts, or leaders survive hits, which really doesn't happen a lot, since legions are precious, and leaders are invaluable.
>>
>>53763618
There's the older game called 'Tactics II' that uses attack ratios and zero dice rolling. It's all about strategic and tactical thinking.
>>
>>53762651
You might have done, but I live in the UK, and I had to wait ages before I found a decently priced copy.
>>
>>53765624
That's prolly what it is then, US here
>>
What is the veredict for terraforming mars to you guys? Adding it to the collection? Ive played a game and its really nice, very thematic and fun.
>>
>>53746234
It looks pretty cool, but I always had doubts about backing a kickstarter. Anybody here played it already and can say something about the mechanics, replayability and so on?
>>
>>53746861
Agricola 2016. (I'd say 'Agricola', but it's out of print and much uglier.)

Maybe A Feast for Odin, but it hasn't been back in print and isn't available for normal gamers, yet so nobody can say much about it definitively.
>>
>>53767277
Its a solid thematic engine builder. Its not a game that should be in every collection but if you feel the theme and are looking for an engine builder, you could do a lot worse.
>>
>>53768292
well have it here in brazil by the year's end so im consering it, Agricola 2016 will be out next month.
>>
>>53762757
No, how you use the cards does.
No, because you used the cards wrong.

>Much wider range of strategies leads to boards looking very different
>You can come up with your own strategy and make it work
I.e., anything you do will let you win anyways.

Caverna is Agricola for dumb people.
>>
>>53767426
I downloaded the rules and the print-and-play but I don't know if I'll get a chance to play it before the Kickstarter is over. Apparently it's on some tabletop sim-like program as well?
>>
>>53751786
The Lord of the Rings LCG
>>
>>53768469

Agricolafags are the worst.
>>
>>53769125
Still not as bad as race for the galaxy fags
>>
What's been your guys experience with Kickstarter? Have you had any good/bad luck with backing projects?

I recently got into playing board games with my work friends and started backing a couple that looked cool There's really only one that I'm thinking won't get funded since it ends in like 2 days with $1k still left to go. I like the whole aspect of helping established/aspiring developers and watching the game grow as new stuff gets added to it. The long ass wait to actually get it is the only real down side to me.
>>
>>53769743

Games that I've Kickstarted & Gotten
>Madstone Chronicles
It's not great but it's exactly what I expected from the pitch.
>Vast
Really good.

Games from Kickstarter I've played (and enjoyed)
>Kingdom Death Monster
So much that I'm pledged way deep in 1.5
>Miskatonic School for Girls
The family really likes this one and frankly it's not anything less than I would have expected
>Maybe some others
I'm not 100% sure what out of everything is KS spawn

Upcoming
>Fate of the Elder Gods
The hype is real. More than that the communication has been constant and good.
>Tavern Masters
Starting to seem like it might let me down, but doesn't seem like it's going to completely fail.

So far, so good.
>>
>>53770154
>So much that I'm pledged way deep in 1.5
How deep? Don't be shy.

I'm also waiting for KDM 1.5 and Gloomhaven. I think I'm all set for 2017 through 2020
>>
>>53771010
>How deep? Don't be shy.
Frogdog to upgrade my 1.0 plus basically everything with game content not otherwise included in the pledge. I could have had the 777 pledge but I didn't have enough faith on day 1 so $223 idiot tax for me
>>
File: hide the pain.jpg (144KB, 1065x902px) Image search: [Google]
hide the pain.jpg
144KB, 1065x902px
>>53771373
>Not using fast backer to snag a Black Friday and pushing back your buying a second house to start renting because you've been scrimping and saving every other cent so you can hopefully retire before 80
>>
looking for a new game recommendation. I dont really need anything new but I love to spend money and put things on my shelf and i'm the only person who supplies games in my group so my friends will play literally anything i put in front of them.
some of our favourite games are
Scythe, 7 wonders, legendary (any, but I like alien the most), blood bowl team manager, stone age, smallworld.
I'm probably not giving you much to go on, but I just have extra money to spend. I wish Kingdom Death was in stock.
>>
>>53772121
>I wish Kingdom Death was in stock.
SOON.

Other than that, here are some random recs from me

>Dudes on a Map/Area Control
Inis
>Economic/Exploration
Merchant of Venus
>Deckbuilder
Tanto Cuore if your group won't sperg over the theme.
>Co-op
Pandemic or Reign of Cthulhu
>>
File: eh.png (193KB, 951x823px) Image search: [Google]
eh.png
193KB, 951x823px
>>53769743
The only loser I've backed so far has been High Frontier, and even then the publisher managed to go into overdrive to rush the game out (with good quality components and a coherent rulebook, at that) when the IP owner declared that if it wasn't fulfilled by October[ish] that he'd cancel his contract with them and print his own run with blackjack and hookers, and donate copies to the people who got had.
>>
>>53772464
the art for Inis is amazing. I'll probably grab that based on shelf appeal alone.
>>
>>53771373
>I could have had the 777 pledge but I didn't have enough faith on day 1 so $223 idiot tax for me
You don't get charged until the campaign ends, and even then only if it succeeds.
The only situation in which not backing immediately is a smart move is when you're forgetful and can't set up a reminder to check in about two days before campaign end.
>>
>>53746861
Agricola has the most varied and impactful occupations, which is the main replayability mechanism. Caverna takes the approach of giving you more freedom/breathing room to explore actions naturally with a lot of viable paths. So it depends, do you prefer being incented to play differently each game, or do you prefer being given the freedom to play differently each game, at the risk of "discovering optimal play?" (scare quotes provided with great sarcasm)

Odin is in the middle, it emphasizes both occupations and a diverse action pool. I'd say the occupations provide less incentive to try a certain strategy and the action pool feels very limited round 1 (players are unable to pay for half of them). That said it's my favorite

I never played the other two
>>
>>53746894
>TAMSK

I wish they didn't dump this one. Sure it doesn't fit the line but why not spin it off?
>>
>>53772464
while tanto cuore is something i would probably abhore theme wise, someone has it listed on kijiji/craigslist in my small ass city. maybe i'll try and cop it for cheap.
>>
>>53772513
inis is not only pretty, it plays fantastically
>>
>>53772505
>Keyflower KS
>supporting Game Salute
I bought mine from overseas to bypass that shitbag company
>>
>>53773052
I didn't buy Keyflower I bought the pig tile.
>>
>>53772687
meh, it's not worth it. for some reason people say it's an improvement over Dominion gameplay but I find it lackluster
>>
>>53773097
does that somehow mean you didn't support that shitbag company? you paid them $6 for a single piece of cardboard that costs less than a dollar to make and ship
>>
>>53772505
>tfw I'll never have $1k to blow on high impact sexual violence miniatures

How is Scythe by the way? I keep seeing it at my LGS and I've heard mostly good things, but no one around here has played it
>>
>>53774031
It's fucking dull so I flipped it.
>>
>>53774064
Yeah, Scythe has had a ton of good press, but every overview or playthrough video I've seen of it looks fucking boring compared to other area control/objective scoring sorts of games. Glad to know my impressions aren't completely insane.
>>
>>53774064
>>53774105
thats a bummer. What do you guys think of Lords of Hellas? I don't really have any area control games in collection but I think it looks cool and I like the greek mythology meets sci-fi theme and that there's multiple wincons
>>
>Thinking about buying Caverna with all this talk
>Realize I'd need to buy a bigger table to play it
Fug
>>
>>53745840
I got my first board game today (if we don't count Monopoly and clue of course)

I played castle ravenloft today with a friend ( we were a group of 4, but two are on different cities today) and the game was fun but really difficult. I mean we almost lose. The game is really just designed to try to kill you ASAP
>>
>>53774031
This guy goes through a fairly detailed explanation about the game that's more than "I had fun" or "this game sux" so that's at least something
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VHS2ZzXiw_Q
>>
>>53774265
> Ravenloft
> designed to kill you a.s.a.p.

Yeah, that's sound pretty much spot on! (Hope you enjoyed your first game. Welcome to 'the addiction' as we like to call it.)
>>
What is the overall opinion of War of the Ring?
>>
>>53760169
4chan is an awesome place to advertise. It's free and full of autists who can meme things into existence.

For example, I'm pretty sure Millennium Blades (and Donald Trump) only became a mainstream thing due to 4chan.
>>
>>53760169
It's been almost a decade since 4chan was what you're actually describing. Only the most niche of boards/threads keep some semblance of that old spirit.
>>
>>53774760
The system is nice but if you're not a fan of dice controlling your actions the game is going to drive you nuts. That said it really feels like you're playing out the story from the books and the production is top notch. Too long for me, but hey that's why Battle of Five Armies exists.
>>
>Chaz did a full series on MAP bullshit
I love this man for continuing to call out bullshit while every other reviewer says being fucked by publishers is fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIWCZc6iCjY
>>
So I bought CITOW+horned rat on your advise, played it with my whfb/aos group once, with a group of normies once and a mixed group once and so far it's really one of the best games I have ever played.
But we have some issues regarding the balancing. In the 4 player game tzeentch won, because it we really didn't know what we were doing most of the time. The other 2 times slaanesh won and especially in the second game he felt almost unstoppable, because of his advancment which lets him generate 2 turning points. How are the others supposed to stop him? Play against him from the first round on? Or is it really not that bad?
Also what are the rat and nurgle supposed to do ? They feel really slow compared to the others. And is anyone supposed to play for victory points instead of turning points? AND which decks of spell cards grant the better experience? The ones from the expansion or the ones from the base game?
>>
>>53774299
I had discarded Scythe as trash and wasnt thinking about it. This review has changed my mind.
>>
>>53763618
StarCraft. The skill is hand management, timing your attacks and attacking.

Cards have minor/major values on them, they are damage and hp values. Major values are counted when the unit the card is assigned to matches the unit on the card, minor (lower ones) otherwise.

The battles are done in skirmishes, each skirmish getting one front line unit each. Additionally, there are supporting units (like templars, defilers) to which you can add suport cards (e.g storm which adds damage and detector ability). You have a hand limit of 6 (or 8 for terran) at the end of the battle and card draws are limited.

It's really fun and unique.
>>
>>53777580
We almost never play CitOW with the new decks of cards, they just mess with the game.

The "proper" way to play CitOW is with 4 people without expansion. If you have 5 people simply add the rat and his cards. If you're bored with that switch to the expansion cards from time to time.

The natural progression should be:
Khorn is OP -> Nurgle is OP -> Tzeench is OP -> Slaanesh is OP -> the guy who complains the most is OP/kingmaking is OP
>>
>>53777580
>rat and nurgle supposed to do ?
Nurgle sits on his ass in one of the populous regions. He should only go for the VP victory condition as the dial advancement is unachievable.

One of the most important things about Nurgle is that to judge how well he's doing you have to look at how much corruption he has on the board in addition to how much VPs.

The provender of ruin upgrade will give him 15 VPs (if you won't allow any region to fall before that), you must aim to take part in every ruination and ideally be the first person there. Nurgle has some one of the best cards for ruining a region and being second means he'll almost never be blocked out of a slot.

Try to get the big scoring regions and build a steady supply of warriors (remember they cost 1PP) and cultists. Keep them alive with Rain of Puss, kill Khorn's warriors and cultist. Don't get too fancy with corruption until the very last step where you should be aiming at corrupting 2-3 regions at once.

The rat is an opportunist he has several "combo" cards that let's him move huge swaths of figures after dominating a region upgrades that let him do that after corrupting a region. He also has cards like Doomwheel that will allow him to score additional VPs and is the only power that can very realistically steal any ruination if unopposed. He's tactic is to basically scavenge the shit out of the board and swoop in with a combo where somebody is exposed - nobody realistically doing 3 dials this turn? Drop in some cards that let you do that. The players are spread out too thin? Swoop in and claim domination in another region. The rat's warrior upgrade makes him harder to remove from a region than even Slaneesh so use that to your advantage.

> victory points instead of dials?
Khorn dial >> VP
Nurgle VP >>>> dial
Tzeench, Slaanesh and Rat can aim for either one and shouldn't commit to one condition. Khorn is playing out of his mind -> target VP victory. Nurgle isn't touched at all - aim for dials.
>>
>>53775229
Level99 was an established name in the industry by the time Millennium Blades was announced, and you're delusional
>>
>>53778854
And that loud 'Wooosh!' sound you heard was the joke flying over your head. Unless of course you honestly believe that 4chan meme'd Trump into existence...
>>
>>53779718
>whoosh
>reddit memes
>>
>>53779744
If anything whoosh is a /. meme
>>
>>53779744
That one pre-dates reddit *by decades*. But nice try new-fag.
>>
>>53778225
See, we told you you wouldn't regret it, it's a great fucking game.
The 4 different playstyles are very distinct, you'll eventually learn play and counterplay as you get more games under your belts.
Khorne: Breaks faces, get dial spins
Nurgle: Infest populous zones, shit on them for points
Slaanesh: Corrupt nobles for points and/or spins, disrupt combat with resilient troops
Tzeentch: Use magic to mess with everyone's plans, focus on warpstone, win with points or spins
Horned Rat: Be a cowardly little shit all game long, swarm the territories to steal the points

Remember, only the guy with the most spin tokens gets the second spin, you can stop that by making sure someone gets a tie.
>>53777580
>>53778203
I actually like the Morrslieb deck, even though a lot of people think it makes the powers samey Justice for Slaanesh! . It rebalances the game so Khorne can win by points and Nurgle can win with spins if they choose to focus on that strategy. Also boosts Slaanesh a bit, since he was often just a kingmaker for Khorne or Nurgle.
>>
>>53779718
It wasn't a joke, 4chan is a trendsetter and can make things 'hip'. (Don't ask me how our universe came to that, it just did.)

>>53779812
That one predates *the Internet* by decades.
>>
>>53779994
I think you got the posts there wrong twice, bud.
>>
>>53775745
Chaz is bro tier. I'd love to game with him
>>
What's everyone's thoughts on this? Worth it or is it going to be trash?
https://www.asmodee.us/en/news/2017/6/12/cities-of-splendor/
>>
>>53780717
Thread-killing trash, clearly.

Anyone here play Blood Rage? Is it overrated?
>>
>>53782009
The general opinion on this specific board seems to be a little negative, but really I enjoy it.
>>
>>53782009
> Overrated

It's an Ok game, good if you like card drafting & nordic theme.
>>
Do you guys have a record of what games do you play? I started this year and it is helping me a lot to see which games are not getting so much love

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KJrAswFBIee5IMwxrOXnpTQ2pgXTv0kG5MxJ3mntBcw/edit?usp=sharing

Also, last night Friday we played Super Dungeon Explore: FK, it was bretty good. It took way longer than I expected to explain but everyone got the hang of it very quickly.
>>
>>53782871
Log my plays on BGG, always try to put a couple notes down on who was there, what happened, how the game felt. Seems to help me organize my buy list priority, and figure out what not to bring out when playing with different people.
>>
File: 32980868._UY500_SS500_.jpg (68KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
32980868._UY500_SS500_.jpg
68KB, 500x500px
>>
>>53783401
Have you read it?
>>
>>53783401
>Style looks like cheep 3d space babe porn
Control center reporting sides have reached geokektionary orbit.
>>
File: You can guess what happens.png (2MB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
You can guess what happens.png
2MB, 1200x900px
>>53783401
>>53783723
Adding pic for emphasis.
>>
File: 1454961893741.gif (3MB, 412x395px) Image search: [Google]
1454961893741.gif
3MB, 412x395px
>Hear 'The Beast' get a few mentions, mostly as a joke and a 'no one should ever play this' sort of thing
>Look it up
>Know it's probably just there as a shock piece or for a quick easy buck
>Still tempted

Should... Should I get it and post some diaries?
>>
>>53780717
I'd probably shuffle in the new cards every game from now on. Strongholds look sort of frustrating and bad

The other modules look like interesting variants to play once
>>
>>53780025
I first heard woosh on my Victrola XD
>>
>>53783995
So how's school? Bullied much?
>>
>>53783856
I'm always for horror stories.
>>
>>53784401
>horror stories
I'm not sure if you know what The Beast is about...
>>
>>53784707
I couldn't find whatever it is on BGG but if it's really that bad it's sure to generate a couple.
>>
File: v-related traditional games2.png (6MB, 1256x3151px) Image search: [Google]
v-related traditional games2.png
6MB, 1256x3151px
>>
>>53784875
The Beast is an unsettling erotic game of imagining you are having sex with the Beast — an alien and inhuman creature — and writing a diary describing your erotic encounters, your fears and your anxieties.

>>
>>53787654
In other words, it isn't really a board game and probably doesn't belong in this thread.
>>
>>53775229
>>53775406
>>53780025
If 4chins was so great for advertising, nip-moot would have better ads than click bait and weaboo porn.
>>
>>53787654
That seems like the kind of thing a maladjusted teen girl would be into: Horrifying, sexual, and almost certainly not in good taste; a solitary activity that most certainly should NOT be found by any parents or guardians but might help a developing mind simultaneously tossed into a cutthroat social environment and an endless tempest of hormonal flux center itself, however off-balance that centering is.
>>
>>53787179
>The Shit Board Game Guide
Thanks anon
>>
my brother got dark souls. and its actually a good game.

its really fun to discuss where to spent your souls on and the combat, while dice chucking like, gives a lot of chance for strategy in the movement.

you do need to kill each room twice to farm souls because you will almost never kill the boss on your first run, but that second run through the rooms takes like 1/6th of time time as the first run now that your kited out and you just shit on those bastards that gave you hard time earlier.
>>
>>53772505
>Feudum
My negro
>>
>>53782871
I also log my plays on BGG, but I only note how many times a game has been played and that's it. I find it useful to note which games aren't getting love but at the same time I know others are incredibly hard to get to the table, like Avalon Hill Civilization
>>
>>53783786
He fixes the cable?
>>
File: pic2632365_md.jpg (103KB, 500x499px) Image search: [Google]
pic2632365_md.jpg
103KB, 500x499px
Yesterday was my birthday. Went over to my sister's place and she, her boyfriend, my mother, my stepfather, and I all played pic related.

I REALLY. Fucking. Liked this game.

The card drafting felt perfect, the game itself is fairly light but complex enough to justify it not being a 15-minute filler game. For a 45-minute game, I think it's perfect.

What do you think, /tg/?
>>
>>53790426
Never heard of it but I'm intrigued
>>
>>53790426
TH is possibly my favorite drafting game so far. It's simple enough for any of my friends/family to quickly pick it up, but the variable rewards and scrolls give it enough depth to keep things interesting. I almost always offer it as an option for groups of 6 or less.
>>
>>53790426
Never played but I'd be interested in trying anything Richard Garfield had a hand in designing.
>>
>>53788621
Only about half of those are irredeemable garbage.
>>
>>53790426
Just spent some free digital credit to buy this from the amazon app store on your suggestion. As a heads up to those interested, the physical game is on sale for $15 right now on amazon.
>>
>>53792997
Thanks for the heads up!
>>
So Helionox got a 2nd printing KS, and it got funded the same day it launched.
1st printing was a 2p game unless you had 2 sets.
This printing has enough cards for a 4p, a new board/tableau and the expansion that never made it to print.
It's a great deckbuilder with a twist, and I've greatly enjoyed it. Dunno if I'll back the 2nd printing but maybe someone here'll be interested.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1680723118/helionox-deluxe-edition
>>
File: All You.gif (850KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
All You.gif
850KB, 320x320px
>>53792997
Thank you Anon, just spent $30 and saved $70 off of retail on two games including T.H.
>>
Hey anons, I was interested in making a board game, and I was wondering if any of you know if boardgamesmaker.com is a reliable service. If not, whot do you recommend?
>>
>>53788228
> the only kind of advertising is banners
Advertising is a complex business. For example, up to half of the 'stories' you read in newspapers and magazines are actually paid advertising pieces even though they're not labeled as such.

Up to 100% of game and gadget reviews are paid advertising.

Etc., etc.
>>
File: Bait - american style.png (57KB, 616x599px) Image search: [Google]
Bait - american style.png
57KB, 616x599px
>>53794069
That is certainly true. But as the other Anon pointed out - 4Chan isn't exactly 'revolutionizing' the advertising industry. Now, if trolling & shit-posting were a money making industry, then 4Chan would have more money than God.
>>
File: gah1.jpg (80KB, 603x366px) Image search: [Google]
gah1.jpg
80KB, 603x366px
>game about Austria
>it's about locking people in rooms
>sometimes an austrian leader destroys everything

Can't make this shit up
>>
>>53745840
>stegmeier backed a board game
>almost every unique thing it says about itself sounds like eldritch horror
>>
>>53792997
Why are they selling it for so cheap?
>>
>>53794129
>4Chan isn't exactly 'revolutionizing' the advertising industry
Nobody claimed it did. Read what I said: 4chan is free and it's a trendsetting place where things become memes.

With a clever marketing team it's a great place to advertise.
>>
>>53788621
>talking shit about xcom and starcraft
Leave and never return.
>>
>>53795818
Yo bro, this isn't the manchild vidya general.
>>
>>53794275
Pretty good game though.
>>
>>53775229

I dont even remember the shilling for Millenium Blades was even that bad here. Sure some people were comparing their pledges and shit but nothing too out of hand.

Mythic Battles Pantheon felt more cancerous, but the game looked pretty good to me (almost went for it myself) so it might just be that people were genuinely excited about it.
>>
File: deep space.jpg (149KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
deep space.jpg
149KB, 1024x576px
Should I back this? It sounds cool and so many people rave about it. On their KS site they just announced the inclusion of some RPG style campaign. What do you guys think? To back or not to back...
>>
>>53787654
So it's old /tg/ then

>Xiombarg's Storyteller
>Thri-Keen erotica
>Dranon's Delight
>>
On the fence about this, anyone a backer or got a opinion on it? I especially like the *low* price and the concept.

https://ksr-video.imgix.net/projects/2861743/video-775554-h264_high.mp4
>>
>>53796809
Given that it seems to be offered at only a little less than probable MSRP and the campaign's definitely going to be a success it's smarter just to wait this one out.
>>
>>53796840
might be yeah. It's not like they can make the 140k mark that adds miniatures to the game.
>>
So I finally got to play Eclipse recently and I have to say, it was a bit of a disappointment.

The game started with 5 players but one left after about an hour, leaving 3 newbies and one guy who was teaching us the game. He did a pretty good job of explaining the rules and some basic strategies (like expanding past your ability to afford) but he didn't hold back either. As far as I know we were playing just the base game since we were all humans.

The exploration seemed ok, but it heavily favored the experienced player due to him finding better tiles and the rest of us getting blocked every way by pirates or ancients or whatever they are called.

This allowed him to get a big head start on generating money, which since it dictates how many actions you can do and the size of your empire, seems to be the most important resource.

This head start snowballed into complete domination due to what I think is the worst part of the game: random tech draws. Basically he got one of the power generation techs that allow you to power more stuff on your ships early, and we never saw another one. So we could see him building up his military, but do fuck all about it since we couldn't afford to put anything decent in our ships.

In the end we just declared him the winner at the end of the 8th round since it was clear he was so far ahead no one had any chance of competing. I wouldn't mind trying it again, maybe with the alien races and just having all tech available all the time because otherwise I don't see how this game could ever not just come down to luck. Am I wrong in thinking this? Does anyone with more experience with the game have any ideas on how to improve this or did we all just suck because we were new?
>>
>>53797300
As far as 'Space 4x' games go - a lot of people recommend Eclipse, but it's rather 'middle of the road' when it comes to overall rules execution. And yes, it does have a fair luck element to it. You can be hampered by poor tech draws, and poor sector tile draws where you either draw a lot of resource poor sectors and/or get surrounded by 'Alien' controlled sectors and simply can't catch a break in order to build your initial economy. It also has nearly zero worth while political interaction rules.

What Eclipse does do correctly:
It's fairly easy to teach for a more complex game - players tend to pick up the actions system quickly.
The 'exploration' element can be very enjoyable.
Building various types of custom ship designs and testing their combat worthiness can also be a lot of fun.

If you play again, understand Eclipse's strengths and weaknesses and hopefully you'll have a less frustrating game. And yeah, it does suck that the 'teacher' played all out to win rather than encouraging you guys to explore the system a bit more.

If you do play the 'Alien' races either go with the green (Plant people) race or watch out for them - their ability is drawing two sectors for each 1 explore action they take. They can potentially keep both sectors if they're good, or reject one while still keeping the other and rapidly expand their economy.
>>
>>53797300
>>53797412
If you are looking for alternative 'Space 4x' games - perhaps your best bet would be 'Exodus' - particularly with the 'Edge of Extinction' expansion which fleshes out the different factions even more and gives some nice rules / abilities.

There is also:
Hegemonic
Space Empires 4x
Ascending Empires (which involves carefully flicking pieces in order to move your ships around the map).
Empires of the Void
And around the end of this year 'Empires of the Void II' is coming out. (I'm particularly excited about this as it seems to have a variety of military and political means to create the largest empire and win the game.)
>>
>>53795481
All of Queen games have been selling with massive price cuts recently, different ones each day it seems.
>>
>>53796611
Why would you back a KS for a game that's already got open PnP files on BGG, and in multiple formats?
>>
>>53795818
another anon, but FFG XCOM is a shitty board game and Galaxy Defenders is the true XCOM board game
>>
>>53797511
1. Because not everyone is a 'DIY Ninja' that can easily PnP a game into existence in an economical manner.

2. Because not everyone thinks "Free shit! Cool! Fuck the creator of this intellectual property as long as I get what I want."
>>
>>53797623
Intellectual property is a crock of shit and hurts creators in the long run anyway.
>>
>>53797412
I don't think he was trying to crush us, just that the game conspired to do it for him and he just played as a normal player would. We all understood what was happening as he was fairly thorough with his rules explanation, there was just nothing we could do.

>>53797474
Thanks, those are all on my list to try. I love 4x games on PC so I really want to find a great one for my board gaming group.
>>
>>53797623
1) If you've got the PnP files you can upload them to GameCrafter and print them today for probably similar price to KS and not have to wait

2) The guy put them up on BGG because he wanted people to play his game, there's no IP issues here
>>
Can I get some podcast recommendations for wargames, strategy games, and related? Can be about computer wargames. I've almost finished working through Three Moves Ahead. I know about 2 Half Squads, although I'm not too interested in ASL.
>>
>>53797669
>I don't think he was trying to crush us, just that the game conspired to do it for him

Unfortunately - as much as I love Eclipse - that is a valid criticism of the game mechanics.

>>>53797474 (You)
>Thanks, those are all on my list to try. I love 4x games on PC

In that case - check out Space Empires 4x it's actually based on the old PC game of the same name. It is more 'chart and table' intensive (like classic hex and chit war-games) but might well be to your liking.

Hegemonic has some interesting mechanics (you can contest / wrestle control of a sector) using military, political, or industrial means, and the combat results are less random. But the game can be somewhat dry feeling at times - you don't do any ship customization like Eclipse does for example.

If you get a chance, check out the Empires of the Void II kick-starter. They just released a 'not quite final' version of the rule book in pdf - I just haven't had a chance to read it in detail yet. I'm really looking forward to this one as I think it will scratch the itch for a 4x game that rewards a variety of strategies and not just 'Best Military wins most games."
>>
Anyone tell me how good you think the zombiecide green horde is right now? Still in kickstarter stage
>>
>>53797671
1. While Game Crafter is cool - it isn't exactly a money saving option. (And saving money is often why people go PnP - Skulls for example.)

2. That's cool. But to give a counter example, I own 'Dark Moon' - which is simply a repackaging of the 'BSG' (BattleStar Galactic) Express PnP game. Even though I could simply live with the original free version of the game, I wanted to support the designer so I snagged the 'pay version' of the game system. As long as the designer isn't getting ripped off (and can hopefully make some more cool games), I'm good. I've also own a copy of 'The Duke' as well as having made a magnetized PnP version (play it in a car while road-tripping).
>>
>>53798070
You might have better luck in the historical / war-games general thread that's usually up on /tg/. And there has to be at least 1 perma-thread about your topic on Board Game Geek if you haven't already checked them out.
>>
>>53797495
But is that happening just because or is there some business or financial reason they're doing it?
>>
>>53762757

That's why everybody plays Agricola with drafting rules. It eliminates both of those problems.
>>
>>53798270
Any particular set of drafting rules you'd recommend?
>>
>>53798270
>>53798419
There's like five or six official draft variants in the Revised Agricola rules.
>>
>>53798419
>>53798481
Yeah, check out the appendix of the Mayfair edition. If you're playing with people who aren't familiar with the decks, each player drawing 10 and discarding down to 7 works well.

Also, there's a suggested variant in the Mayfair appendix that restricts farm layouts to being contiguous at all times (i.e. you have to build fields and fences touching your rooms). It adds another layer of challenge and makes everybody's farm feel less samey, at least to some degree.
>>
So, caverna is the better agricola?
>>
>>53796611
How do you have a rpg campaign for that game?

In response to your question though, when you're first playing the game it's really exciting and tense as you're learning how everything works and trying to figure out the best strategy. But after a while the excitement dies out and it becomes "I hope I roll the things I need".

That's one advantage the actual has over the pnp version because the physical copy comes with four different ships that let you play differently, which increases how many times you can play the game before it gets stale.

I'm not saying that it's a bad game, it's not, but I am saying that it does wear out its welcome after a while
>>
>>53750668
Catan
Coup rebellion
Mice and mystics
Sheriff of Nottingham
Avalon
Carcasonne
Twilight struggle
King of New york
Mysterium
Ticket to ride
>>
>>53750668
A package focusing on modern wargames. It would be a case study on the history of wargames, trying to include some of the classics and innovative titles.

Tactics, Avalon Hill
Gettysburg, Avalon Hill
Napoleon The Waterloo Campaign, Gamma Two
Star Fleet Battles, Task Force Games
Dune, Avalon Hill
Advanced Squad Leader, Avalon Hill/MMP
Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage, Avalon Hill
Memoir '44, Days of Wonder
Twilight Struggle, GMT
Commands and Colors, GMT
>>
>>53799499
Have you played the war on terror "version" of twilight struggle? I can't remember what it's called, but I'd like to try it out.
>>
>>53799659
I haven't, but now I'm interested. Is it "Labyrinth"?
>>
>>53799733
Oh yeah, that's the name! Been thinking of buying it for the longest time.
>>
Has anyone played 13 minutes: the Cuban misleading crisis? I came across it recently and it seems to be really interesting
>>
Played cyclades for the first time yesterday. Absolutely amazing game, every turn feels like it matters, skipping a turn with apollo can go wrong really bad. The only thing I disliked was how the bidding track for the gods is linear, in amon rah for example you have an exponential track which makes it better for the first player to make an informed bid, here slightly underbidding means someone can just overbid you for a single buck.
>>
>>53799118
No, Caverna is the Agricola for dumb people.

(Not necessarily a bad thing per se, Agricola is one of the most brain-burning boardgames when played correctly.)
>>
>>53800972
Or you could say its not for minmaxing autists?
>>
>>53800262
>13 minutes: Cuban missle crisis
Of course autocorrect would fuck up what I wrote
>>
>>53801278
No, you couldn't say that, because Agricola isn't about minmaxing.

Quite the opposite, in fact. Agricola punishes minmaxing, while Caverna encourages it. (This is mostly deliberate -- Caverna is babby's relaxed eurogame, and minmaxing is babby's first strategy.)
>>
looking to start pic related with my group but i feel like it could be really good or kinda mediocre

any thoughts on it?
>>
File: IMG_1037.jpg (232KB, 400x607px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1037.jpg
232KB, 400x607px
>>53801611
I really enjoy it, campaigns are fun and system runs well I think it's a fun design. Depends on what your group is used to gaming. But if you like kill the mobs grab some loot go kill a boss then you should be good. And being overlord is fun to if u wanna kill your friends. Or you can use the app and 4 of you can be heroes and your phone will be mr baddy
>>
>>53801869
i'm a new addition to the group so i guess i'm just hoping its not a flop

part of me want to be able to play through a campaign but i know i won't be able to keep people on board with it
>>
>>53750668
Descent 2nd ed.
Castle panic
Mice and mystics
Tsuro or tsuro of the seas
Zombicide Black Plague
Munchkin deluxe
Dungeon saga
Small world
Myth
Epic spell wars any edition

>>53799268
My nigga love me some mice and mystics
>>
>>53801977
Hey you never know you picked the best one in my opinion of that style of game, and if they are more Star Wars nerds then fantasy you can get Star Wars imperial assault same game but Star Wars skin
>>
Things I've learned in this thread:

If you like Agricola, you probably despise Caverna as it's an abomination against all things good, was spawned from satan's asshole, it is the cancer ruining board games, and everyone who plays it should kill themselves.

If you like Caverna, you probably don't like the cards in Agricola, and like dwarfs.
>>
>>53802041
>Munchkin deluxe
why
>>
>>53802041
>Castle panic
I haven't played that one in so long
>>
>>53800672
I'm really interested in Cyclades, do you think it's worth getting if it's mostly going to get played by just 3 players?
>>
>>53802041
I'll never get what people like about tsuro.
>>
>>53803028
Ive played it twice, once with 5 players and once with 4. I think the big advantage is that it has a scaling map for each playercount, so you wont get scaling issues on that front. I think the biggest negative part would be you only have 2 gods to bid on. On 5P you get all the gods (4+apollo) and I found that very nice as you can always bet on the god you want. At 4P you already could have issues where if someone needed 1 of 2 gods to win one of them could be hidden limiting his options. The one that is hidden in the round gets flipped over and put on the top for the next round, so the god then becomes extra interesting. With 3 players you turn over 2 gods. Now i imagine this will cause some kind of seesaw effect where the action gods poseidon and ares either appear the at the same cycle creating this save up/pay up cycle, or a cycle where one person can go on the offensive. I already felt it was annoying 1 god was out of the loop in the 4 player game, but at least he became the top god in the next cycle and it was random.
But I do like the core gameplay of balancing money for bidding and actually getting stuff. And how every god as something going for him to make him an attractive investment.
>>
File: IMG_1036.jpg (1MB, 895x1250px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1036.jpg
1MB, 895x1250px
>>53802834
The times I've played it I've had rly good times. And I think that's what makes a game good to certain ppl if I'm not being salty.

>>53803014
Ah man I played couple days ago always a challenge every time

>>53803254
Honestly I don't know either but I can't help but have fun with this game. Shoot me but sometimes simplistic can be enjoyable
>>
>>53803488
>>The times I've played it I've had rly good times. And I think that's what makes a game good to certain ppl if I'm not being salty.
I understand its a mindless that that cardgame and it is terrible by design, but its even terrible at being terrible. For simple mindless card games you need a few things
A) pacing
B) LOL moments
C) simple rules
The pacing in munchkins is terrible since every encounter involves slowly bargaining with one or two people, then a slow disintegration of everyone playing their +/- power cards. It has the pacing of a light tactical game where you have to keep track of some simple numbers, yet it is in a tacticless fast cardgame. Finishing the game involves someone defeating a monster and then looking around if someone still has a card left to cockblock him. Then its "I guess I won then"
There are never moments where you feel like you really fucked someone over, since they can either use some more cards to get out of the situation or there is a slow resolution of the bad stuff. And it doesnt feel like it will stick since the game is completely random.
The rules are complex for such a simple game and still have loads of moments where they arent clear and you are encouraged to make up your own resolution.
I regularly play an extremely simple drinking game, its great, it requires barely any thought, is extremely quick, and there is a bluff element that can cause some great moments where you bluff people away.
>>
>>53803712
I read drinking game please explain
>>
>>53803819
A punishment game where you bet and if you lose you have to drink, we play with penalty points instead so we can drink at our own pace though. But its still fun.

You play with standard playing cards, but take out 2 to 6. So you keep 7,8,9,10,J,Q,K,A. You shuffle them and give everyone 4 cards, the remaining cards are put in the middle of the table. Player left of the dealer starts. The order of cards is J,Q,K,A,7,8,9,10, which is to make new players that are drunk fuck up more often. The starting player plays a card of his liking, everyone after that has to follow suit, if they cant they play any other card of their liking. The person that won the trick (playing the highest card of the suit played) gets to play the next card, this repeats until all 4 cards are played. The person that wins the final trick gets 0 points, everyone else gets 1 point. During any moment in the game someone can double up. As soon as he calls out the other players either fold (and take 1 penalty point), or agree to play for 2 points (or incase they win they get 0). At any time anyone else can overcall, which means you either stick with the rest for 3 points, or fold for 2 points. One a round is done all cards are reshuffled and the next round begins. Rounds are played till everyone but 1 player has 10 points.
Replace Point with take drink and you get the drinking variant.
Also at the start of the round you can claim a shit hand, toss it facedown, and take 4 new cards. Other people can check, if you check and its a hand consisting of 3 pictures (JQKA) and a 7 or 4 pictures, it was a shit hand and you get a point, if it had a higher card it was a false cllaim and the person has to take his hand back and gets a point.

Its simple, quick, fun and with bluffing you can make people fold even if they have a good hand
>>
File: v-related traditional games2b.png (2MB, 1366x1618px) Image search: [Google]
v-related traditional games2b.png
2MB, 1366x1618px
>>
>>53805856
What's battlecon like?
>>
>>53805856
If you got Yomi and PuzzleStrike there, may as well add Codex.
>>
>>53805856
How do people keep making these and not putting Adrenaline?
>>
File: 1374585957956.jpg (62KB, 437x437px) Image search: [Google]
1374585957956.jpg
62KB, 437x437px
>play boardgame
>its fucking great
>think of new strategies and try them out
>have great fun
>want to share strategies with other people
>no one seems to want to discuss strategies except a few games like dominion and race for the galaxy
>>
>>53806060
What game was it? And what strategies are there in race for the galaxy? I've played it a few times but it seems like you're subject to whatever cards you're dealt
>>
>>53806110
7Wonders duel, for the normal 7wonders I found 2 guides, of which 1 was really good and the other was mediocre (probably because so little people are competing and trying to improve their game), smallworld (although with playing it more i found it not to be too deep), bloodrage

for RFTG produce+consume is a strong combo that can really fuck people up. For dominion there are a lot of strategies with loads of tips on how to engine build effectively and read the board. It allowed me to improve my game a lot while still having to read every kingdom on its own, rather than being stuck ina cookie cutter build. It made me appreciate the game a lot more
>>
>>53803712
You're mistaking munchkin for what is as the mediocre base game it is, where the richness of the system comes from the player interactions, anticipating what another player may do on a best case, and convincing other players to help you or to target certain players, to not pay attention to you, etc. So, the focus is on the things that make tabletop games shine compared to say, videogames.
A random drinking game generally lacks all these elements because the rules are so poor it doesn't allow any of this.
I'm not saying munchkin is a game of high quality, but it presents sufficient choice among the randomness for it to be significant, at least more than a lot of shittier even more lazily designed games.
>>
>>53806554
Yes there are player interactions, but I find the game to be exceptionally bad at evoking good player interactions. The pacing is terrible. The game basically consists of cockblocking the leader until someone is about to win and there are no cards left to play.
The drinking game meanwhile create a very basic game as framework to generate player interaction in the form of bluffing. The pace is high and 90% of the time you know what your optimal move it, this makes it all come down on reading other players. The victories of each round also feel better, because the result is immediate.

>but it presents sufficient choice among the randomness for it to be significant,
I dont think so, its variation in power and monster power is so wide individual player interaction just doesnt matter enough, either the other players their effects drown your choices out, or someone gets such powerful gear that your superior strategy is not enough to matter
>>
>>53806762
I think player interactions are incredibly relevant and matter a ridiculous amount, exactly because of the variation in monster power.
It's a subtle game and you need the right people to play it past its trivial facade though, I could see that not be appealing compared to games that are more straightforward and restrict cooperation more for many people.
>>
>>53805888
No idea, but I'd like to try it sometime
>>53805900
Add the who in the what now?
>>53805981
Well, I only heard about it last Saturday when I was reading a back issue of Tabletop Gaming, so... y'know. Also, I tend to wait a while before putting the new hotness on these lists - cult of the new, and all that.
>>
>>53805888

Like a 2D anime-inspired fighting game a la Guilty Gear or BlazBlue. Gameplay involves using your character's specific styles to modify a base attack, like a shot, drive, burst, grasp, etc. Goal is to KO opponent, obviously.

The gameplay is very bluff and prediction based, much like competitive fighting games, and since there's no randomness the matches feel like they were won due to skill rather than luck. It also greatly benefits from learning the nuances of your character and how to fight against an opponent's specific character.

If any of that sounds appealing I'd highly recommend it. There's also a PnP version available online somewhere with like 4 characters to try. General buying guide goes:
>If you have money
Devastation of Indines
>Money conscious
War of Indines
>Second purchase
Whatever you didn't get the first time
>After that?
Fate or Trials, whichever characters look cooler.

Devastation has a shitload of content with 30 characters and many playmodes. War has 18 characters so is still worth it if you just want to dip a toe in first.
>>
>>53805900
What's the /v/ relation to Codex? It's just Sirlin's version of MtG no?
>>
>>53807584
different anon, sort of like MTG but not really. I haven't played it yet nor do I own it, but from what I've read you have access to your entire deck so you don't draw any cards, but in order to play cards you need to do it in a tech tree style similar to RTS vidya. there's also multiple combat zones
>>
How do you all decide when you're collection of games is big enough and that you don't need to buy anymore?
>>
>>53809948
This hobby, like most /tg/ hobbies, is one you pick up so you can throw money in a hole. If we stopped buying, what would be the point?
>>
>>53809948
When I am physically out of space to put more games, of course.
>>
Anyone here Played Game of Thrones Board game second edition? Played the Dance with Dragon expansion its one of my faves

Anyone here okayed Shogun/Samurai Swords/Ikusa?
>>
>>53809948
If I ever hit that point, I'll let you know.
>>
>>53809948
I temporarily stop whenever I´m forced to debate whether eating is a good idea.
>>
>>53810169
>When I am physically out of space to put more games, of course.
except that's not the time to stop buying it's the time to go over your collection and choose what to sell, what to keep, and what to put in some sort of long term storage if you can neither regularly play nor bear to part with it. Then you have more space and keep evolving your collection.

The Ultimate Game has not been made, and neither have all possible games. Until one of those two is true, there's always going to be reason to explore and acquire new things.
>>
Hypothetically, if I wanted to create an app to supplement a board game by keeping track of numbers and scores, would I have to ask permission from the game publisher to do this or would I be fine as long as I didn't make money off of it?
>>
>>53812264
If it's just for you and you're not making a big public production of it, then there's literally nothing they can do.

If you're distributing, even if free, companies can still do cease and desists to threaten legal action.
>>
>>53812320
>If you're distributing, even if free, companies can still do cease and desists to threaten legal action.
How would I avoid this scenario? Going to them beforehand and asking permission?
>>
>>53812436
I don't think any company would care enough unless they were charging for a similar product.
>>
>>53812456
Ok great, thanks anon
>>
>>53812527
Bear in mind that's not really legal advice or anything. My main experience is with Magic, where my friend made a Planechase app with all the names changed. Legally, I don't think they can do anything if you don't use any copyrighted cards/symbols/art/names.
>>
I'm curious for you guys that play Dominion. How do you normally play or what would you say is the ideal way to play Dominion? I'm asking because I play Dominion once every week or so with my girlfriend and her parents. They have almost every expansion and every time we play we use an app to generate random cards from basically every set. What ends up happening is anywhere from 1-4 cards in the pool end up going untouched because they have no synergy with anything else going on so the one card from Alchemy goes untouched because no one wants to buy potions for that one card and some card that's good for trashing curses/whatever goes untouched because there's nothing worth trashing.

I personally would think it would be more fun and engaging to just use a single expansion to change things up so that all/most of the cards in the pool work better with each other, but since the other way is the way they've always played it I feel weird bringing up changing it
>>
>>53745840
Has anyone played elder sign? Is it fun? I saw a friend had it and wanted to know how it was before trying it out.
>>
>>53812876
It's thematic Yahtzee. Fun, not too immersive or complicated.
>>
>>53806110
>And what strategies are there in race for the galaxy? I've played it a few times but it seems like you're subject to whatever cards you're dealt
You're cancerous, go kill yourself.
>>
>>53812876
I'm not really into horror themed games and even I enjoyed it. lot of luck involved with dice rolling but still lots of fun
>>
>>53812919
>not too immersive
With just the base game the immersion is almost 0, all the theme is in the card text, and you're likely not increasing your play time 3-4x by reading each card out loud as he adventure/monster/etc comes up.

>>53812876
There's a really solid app, one of the better uses for your phone when stuck in long meetings or on a train
>>
>>53813004
>immersion is almost 0
Exactly, it sometimes feels like it's just an overambitious, overlong filler game, especially when you're playing with people who are easily distracted and just chuck dice without interacting with others.
It's good for what it is, the cards and bits are nice, and it kind of scratches the Arkham Horror itch when you don't have 4 hours to spare.
>>
>>53751496
Is Chinatown really worth it? I've seen it at my FLGS very recently and remember seeing it on SU&SD, but didn't really think to pick it up.
>>
>>53763618
Cry Havoc has a clever battle system which separates taking over areas from killing units and taking prisoner worth vp at the end of the game, so you have to balance all the aspects and weigh the benefits of all these approaches.
>>
>>53807584
It's an RTS in cardgame form. "Card Time Strategy" was used as a tagline, I believe.
>>
>>53812828
The xpacks arent really that different from eachother that using only one will really alter the game. Mixing them all is the usual deal.

The game has 3 phases of player mindset
phase 1 is when you dont understand the game and just buy the cards you like and end up in a mess because you cannot have enough money to get the VPs
phase 2 is when you decide to just buy money and a single action card and end up beating everyone, and you figure you solved the game
phase 3 is when you realise that with a proper engine deck you can outperform big money decks.
At that point the real game starts, every kingdom you generate is just a puzzle you solve. You look at which cards synergise best, then you compare it to a big money deck you can build. If engine>big money, you build your engine, if not you big money. They are pretty close so fucking it up costs you the game.

And yes, 99% of the games you only pick 3 unique cards from the kingdom and cheese with those.
>>
>>53812959
Show me on the doll where the mean game touched you
>>
File: beta orbiters.jpg (158KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
beta orbiters.jpg
158KB, 1024x768px
Guy is selling Axis and Allies for around 25 euros. Is that cheap? I'm not too keen on the theme but how's the game?
>>
>>53815952
oh and it's 1941 edition
>>
>>53815952
>that pic
Ive been playing boardgames for a year and jesus what a bunch of pushovers are part of the fanbase. Constantly talking about equal representation, oversexualisation of females, getting more girls into the hobby.
>>
>>53816049
That's a pic from a /pol/ meetup
>>
>>53816455
im not really into /pol/.
>>
File: xia.jpg (815KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
xia.jpg
815KB, 1200x800px
Has anybody played Xia: Legends of a Drift System? I've been looking to buy it but don't want to shell out $100+ quite yet.
>>
>>53745840
Never been on this board-no pun intended, before. Strictly a /pol/ fag. Are there any/many chess discussions here?
>>
>>53818312
lurk moar faggot
>>
>>53818312
No. Don't ask about poker or bridge, either.
>>
>>53818312
> Are there any/many chess discussions here?
No. The homofags on this boar discuss ameritrash toys for manchildren.
>>
>>53818256
Is there anything in particular you want to know about it?
>>
>>53818312
Chess sucks the world has moved on from that.
>>
>>53745840
Can anyone recommend board games for 2 people?
I need something with high replayability, so I can duel my wife or friends.
>>
>>53815952
I'm not sure what the exchange rate is but My local Walmart was selling it for about 30 dollars
>>
>>53821679
Hive / Blokus for good abstract strategy

Stronghold (2nd Ed) or Tash Kalar for more of a military / dueling style of strategic conflict.
>>
>>53821679
Chess.
>>
>>53821949
I have Hive, it's pretty good.
The rest I will check out, tanks for suggestions.
>>
>>53821679
Hive, The Duke, Jaipur, Patchwork, Netrunner, chess
>>
>>53818312
Chess threads happen from time to time, but it doesn't tend to get discussed on /bgg/
>>
>>53821679
Race for the Galaxy.
>>
>>53821679
7 Wonders Duel
Valley of the Kings is great at 2 players plus its expansions will be a solid amount of replayability.
Onitama
Acrigola: All Creatures Big and Small (Or the soon to be released 2 player Caverna game)
Just about any Co-Op game would also be good: Forbidden Desert, Pandemic, etc.

As for more specific tastes:
War/Devastation of Indines (if you like arcade fighting games)
Netrunner (if you're looking for a lifestyle card game)
Dice Masters (If you have too much money and want a collectible game)
>>
>>53818256
The expansion makes it a lot better. Depending on what you like it can be good-average-or bad.

I like it because you can kind of dick around on your own dissociated from other players or engage them and be an annoying dick. But a lot of people think there's not enough mechanics for trade and stuff. Also austim personified did a go over of it and said shield were useless or something but it may just have been the autism.
>>
>>53823267
Yeah, I'd think with all of the 'chess' specific discussion boards and groups already out on the web, 4chins wouldn't exactly be my first stop for deep 'Chess' discussions.
>>
>>53823323
Who doesn't love playing multiplayer solitaire?
>>
What are some of the better expansions to get for Neuroshima Hex?
>>
>>53824710
I actually think it's better with two (and with the standard rules, not the "advanced" two player variant) than with more, since you can't guarantee somebody else playing whatever phase to piggyback, you have to actually fucking intuit now and again.

Plus, there's something to be said for the "End the game versus build engine for higher score" dynamic. It would probably be more interesting if there were a more significant hidden component to scoring, but whatever.
>>
Odd question but what are some good solo board games? I'm new to the hobby and sometimes feel like setting up a game to play but can't always find someone free let alone a full group. Was considering backing Street Masters on KS for this reason and for co-op but I'm looking for something to scratch that itch now
>>
>>53826730
XenoShyft
Robinson Crusoe
Gears of War
Hit Z Road
Forbidden Island / Forbidden Desert
>>
>>53824726
Doomsday Machine is broken OP, Dancer is very unconventional and fun, Las Vegas is super annoying to play against, NeoJungle is great.
>>
>>53826730

Mage Knight
>>
>>53826730
Space Hulk: Death Angel
Arkham Horror The Card Game
Scythe
>>
Ok anons, help a retard out here. I've just downloaded tabletop simulator but how do I find some fanmade games to play? I know that I can buy dlc but I bought it to play and try out games, anyone want to tell me how retarded I am?
>>
>>53827960
Check the workshop tab, that's where fan-uploaded modules go.
>>
>>53828030
Thanks friend
>>
Can anyone fill me in on how Human Interface plays? The miniatures look neat, but I heard that the gameplay itself sucks.
>>
File: pic3587422.jpg (328KB, 1000x593px) Image search: [Google]
pic3587422.jpg
328KB, 1000x593px
What the fuck are you doing Upper Deck ? I thought you were trying to become a legitmate board game publisher.

This is their "hot new game" a roll & move, roll & resolve shitfest with a take that element. Looks and feels like something out of the 80's, like I dunno, Key to the Kingdom except not even as rad.
>>
>>53827617
You can play Scythe solo?
>>
>>53828701
Yes, you can even set the difficulty. It's honestly better solo than as a multiplayer.
>>
>>53828772
shit, I think i just got convinced to finally pick up Scythe
>>
>>53828772
>>53828922
Same famalam
>>
>>53824710
Your opinion is kinda worthless since you haven't played the game.

It's a racing game (it even says so on the box), and playing a role advances your opponent's clock too, not just your own.
>>
>>53818256
Don't shell out $100. It's retail is $85 and it'll be back down to that on amazon when the restock comes in. The game itself is a diamond very in the rough. It very much makes a fun story about you and your friends space adventures to get to the top with plenty of options as to what to do and how to do it. I highly enjoy it. Now let me go over flaws:
>Things that change with the expansion
-Lucky draw of planets can make trading over and over again the only path to victory. Fixed in expansion by the economy board making resources finite and adding more tiles making it way harder for perfect planets to end up next to eachother.
-Exploration dicking you over. A third of the exploration tokens are red X's that do jack shit for you. Expansion replaces those so now every exploration token gives you a small reward and you hang onto them to trade in for money or fame by having 2 of them, regardless of what they are.
-Luck plays too big a role. In addition to making ship building more interesting, you can buy mods that are all almost all designed to mitigate luck. One mod makes sure you can't roll below a certain number on engines, another makes sure damage goes through shields regardless of their roll, ect.
-Kinda easy to fall into a samey kinda game after a few plays. Events added in pretty drastically change the kinda game you'll be playing and can influence your strategy a lot depending on what events come up.

>Things that won't be fixed
-Downtime can be long, lots of rules you have to teach well or be bogged down.
-Chaos is the name of the game. Even with the fixes, you're still playing a very random game. While not entirely arbitrary or depriving you of choices, you'll still roll the dice and hope for the best.

>Problem introduced in expansion
-Lots of rules are re-written entirely, so you're gonna have to memorize them if you want to implement the expansion stuff as you're gonna be overriding rules like how death works and how exploration works.
>>
>>53787179
>no dark souls the board game
>>
File: pp.jpg (9KB, 229x221px) Image search: [Google]
pp.jpg
9KB, 229x221px
>>53812959
>>53823323
>>53824710
>>53829728
>>53768292
>>53772598
>>53750680
>>53762757
>>53768469
>>53769125

>Race for the Galaxy and Agricola, every fucking thread.

maybe we should go back to talking about Santorini or Summoner Wars.
>>
>>53831591
Fuck no, those Santorini shitfests were awful.
>>
>>53831591
> waah, people on a boardgame forum want to discuss the two best boardgames of the last 20 years
Nothin wrong with it, go neck urself.
>>
>>53831781
they don't discuss, they shitpost back and forth.
>>
>>53832183
Welcome to the Internet, enjoy your stay.
>>
>>53826730
Tiny epic galaxies hassingle player, but never played it myself.

Also if you can get a group going. Game evening quickly became a highlight of the week
>>
fresh thread
>>53836153
>>53836153
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.