[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/osrg/ OSR General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 327
Thread images: 71

File: osr4.jpg (1MB, 1855x2725px) Image search: [Google]
osr4.jpg
1MB, 1855x2725px
Welcome to Old School Renaissance General!

>Links
Trove: http://pastebin.com/QWyBuJxd
OSR Discord: https://discord.gg/qaku8y9
Blogosphere: http://pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L
In-Browser Tools: http://pastebin.com/KKeE3etp

>Old Thread
>>53665094

>Thread Questions
What is best in life?
>>
>>53744388
>What is best in life?
Having players who are actually interested enough in RPGs that they do some reading and planning of their own, instead of having to force-feed them rules and schedules.
>>
>>53744480
>Having players

This.

;_;
>>
How would you restart a game that ended in the middle of a dungeon about six months ago?
>>
>>53744480
I'm lucky enough to have this. I have little else to strive for. I am growing complcent.
>>
>>53744722
The game restarts with the party having suddenly been whisked away from the dungeon to a whole new adventure.

Possibly add some amnesia in.
>>
>>53744722
Earthquake collapses shit, opens up fissures, disturbs the organization of shit so that players only have to remember the simplest of facts, which can be related by you in a quick recap of a few minutes. Shit, maybe they end up having to leave the dungeon altogether and explore subterranean caves to find a way out.

Alternately, if you don't want something so grandiose, have the party fall victim to a chute or teleportation trap with similar results.
>>
>>53744737
They don't need amnesia. 6 months have passed.
How well so you remember 6 months ago?
>>
>>53746337
I do remember the important bits. I'd say escaping a deadly dungeon of doom would count as such.
>>
>>53746407
That depends entirely on how often they escape deadly dungeons of doom.

Maybe they've gotten *so rich* in the last 6 months that they built their own deadly dungeon of doom to safeguard their treasure.
The next session starts with them halfway down their dungeon. They got lost on a drunk bender.
>>
>>53742830

>Just out of interest, how do you feel about Tomb of the Iron God and Tower of the Stargazer?

Both are fun low-level adventures. Usually when you have only a few hours to play with a casual/one-off group.
>>
>>53746755
How do you feel about them as tutorial modules? Did you feel something was missing when you wrote Tomb of the Serpent Kings?

Don't take this negatively, I really like TotSK. I'm just curious since both books were intended to do what you're doing here.
>>
>>53746949

Sorry I'm not the anon you were originally talking to. Just wanted to respond to your question when I read it in the last thread.
>>
I don't like B/X's encumbrance rules, which games have better rules for it?
>>
File: t3_69kxgw.jpg (922KB, 1600x1091px) Image search: [Google]
t3_69kxgw.jpg
922KB, 1600x1091px
>>53746949
I like both, but I think their design choices are opaque. I tried to make ToTSK as open as possible. That's the main difference.
>>
Reposting for the new thread.

I've put all of the Tomb of the Serpent Kings stuff into one post here, and created a PDF for quick play.

The goal was to build a dungeon that anyone could pick up after reading (or even skimming) an OSR-style rule book, required almost no prep work, and taught some valuable lessons. Mostly I wrote it because there was a "dungeon crawl tutorial"-shaped gap in the OSR-verse, as far as I could tell. People in this thread kept asking (and will keep asking until the sun goes out) "What should I run for my first session?" or "Are there any good introductory modules for [X] system?"

Well now there is one, I hope.

If you don't like it, or if you notice errors, or if you have questions, let me know. If you run it, tell the thread how it went. It's not perfect, but it really does work.

https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-tomb-of-serpent-kings-megapost.html
>>
>>53747741
Your blog is so fucking good dude
>>
File: 1495831153019.jpg (201KB, 1000x350px) Image search: [Google]
1495831153019.jpg
201KB, 1000x350px
>>53747841
Thanks! I do try.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HLua_tfJ7U
Here's a really cool interview with the creator of Braunstein. He talks a lot about the creation of role-playing games and D&D.
>>
>>53747741
I have some questios for you, as I want to DM a OSR game for my players:

You used The GLOG, right? Did you use its encumbrance rules?

How did your players manage hirelings and henchmen? My players come from a 5e background, and I'm afraid they will just ignore the existence of hirelings and never use them

How do you deal with dead characters? How long do you wait to add a new PC into the game?

Why do you like The GLOG magic system? I actually find vancian magic cool

What classes did you allow for your players? Did you create new ones?

Do you prefer grid or theater of the mind?
>>
File: tldr.gif (1MB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
tldr.gif
1MB, 500x282px
On my current "to write" list

General:
-Spell compendium
-Spell design guidelines
-Potion design rules
-More Dungeon Meat

Classes:
-Garden Wizards
-White Hand Wizards
-Other ones I missed
-God Eater Paladins
-Customized knights

Adventures
-Steam Hill with map (learning dungeon based on horror)
-Kidnap the Pope (learning dungeon based on a heist/politics)

Anything else I need to add to the list?
>>
>>53748401
Kidnap the Pope doesn't sound conducive to learning.
An adventure can just be an adventure, you know?
>>
File: james-zapata-fireknight.jpg (268KB, 846x900px) Image search: [Google]
james-zapata-fireknight.jpg
268KB, 846x900px
>>53748342
>You used The GLOG, right? Did you use its encumbrance rules?

Correct. And I did. I printed numbers from 1 to 20 on the back of the character sheet and made the players a) cross out all slots higher than their Strength and b) fill in the rest of the slots. It works pretty well.

>How did your players manage hirelings and henchmen?

I reminded the Knight's player that he could hire people for that. They haven't embraced the idea fully, but next session, they're hiring a small army. After taking casualties and seeing how good a door-opening servant is, they want in on the leadership game. I wouldn't introduce hirelings in the 1st session. The PCs need money and they need to know danger. But you can straight up say "you can hire people for that".

I roll on my table of races and then on my table of professions. Dungeon hirelings get a share of the loot if they fight, or a fixed rate of 5gp / day ($500 bucks!) if they don't fight, or 1gp/week if they just stay in camp, or 10gp/day if they are experts, craftsmen, or experienced.

>How do you deal with dead characters? How long do you wait to add a new PC into the game?

Same process as hirelings. It takes about 5 mins at most to make a new character. If I need to introduce them outside of town, I use this table. https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/03/osr-table-of-replacement-pcs.html

Basically, the new PCs needs a reason to want to go into a tomb and get treasure. The rest writes itself.

I wait until it make sense, but generally, not longer than 30 minutes, unless the session is about to end. Nobody comes to game to sit around.

>What classes did you allow for your players?

Assassin (deleted later, didn't like it), Barbarian, Fighter, Knight, Thief, Summoner, Paladin of the Word, and 10 kinds of Wizard. And yes, sort of. They're just edited and improved version of Arnold's classes. They're on my blog.
>>
>>53748401
I'd love a list of secret doors.
>>
>>53748401
Did you ever get around to finishing the summoner's entities? Those were some good shit
>>
File: xuXbURF.jpg (2MB, 1700x1238px) Image search: [Google]
xuXbURF.jpg
2MB, 1700x1238px
>>53748574

>Do you prefer grid or theater of the mind?
I make the PCs draw a map and tell me where they are, but I don't use a grid for combat.

>>53748554
Oh absolutely! But this one will be (if I ever get my ideas in order) designed to teach

-disguises
-stealth
-bluff
-cunning plans
-politics
-mapping and scouting ahead of time
-more politics
-a dungeon you have to run through rather than loot room by room

Essentially, imagine the God that Crawls, but with mercenaries and cardinals instead of a squishy giant. It's designed to teach a bunch of stuff that ToTKS doesn't, but that's also very OSR-gameable.
>>
>>53748604
http://www.occultesque.com/2017/02/1d100-secret-doors.html
>>
File: 2FElmDR.jpg (370KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
2FElmDR.jpg
370KB, 1024x682px
>>53748604
This other guy has a super cool blog and he's done it first!
http://www.occultesque.com/2017/02/1d100-secret-doors.html

>>53748630
Oh right, yeah! I'll add it to the list.
>>
>>53748630
He hasn't and it's not high on his list.
>>
File: 1490019778815.png (4MB, 1920x1089px) Image search: [Google]
1490019778815.png
4MB, 1920x1089px
>>53748665
It's a long list, and writing good Entities is really hard. I do try, but only one in five drafts make the cut.
>>
>>53748647
>>53748664
No idea how I missed this, it's amazing. Thanks guys.
>>
>>53748574
>my table of races
could you post it? And thanks for the answers!
>>
>>53748574
What do you not like about the Assassin?
>>
>>53748574
>Assassin (deleted later, didn't like it)
Not the same Anon who asked originally, but mind if I asked what you disliked about it? I've always liked the character type, but I've been interested in trying GLOG (mostly because of the way you did wizards, t b h), so if there are practical problems with the Assassin rules I'd like to know about them.
>>
>>53748880
>>53748889
killmind
>>
File: Table of Races.png (105KB, 1223x1148px) Image search: [Google]
Table of Races.png
105KB, 1223x1148px
>>53748822
Yeah, the Occultesque guy needs to a) write more good stuff and b) promote it shamelessly.

>>53748857
Sure! Attached. The stat listed is the one that the race rerolls at character creation and picks the higher result.
>>53748880
It just... didn't work for my style of dungeon. A lot of the bonuses are built around studying a target for days, not exploring. There's no loot-related skills. No dungeoneering. Just... patiently waiting while the party does other stuff. An all-assassin party works. In a political game, it works. But for my game it felt like a sub-optimal choice.
>>
Fucking online gaming. People don't care to come to session. After first session of Labyrinth Lord half of the group left. I don't know if it's my poor refereeing or they just don't like old-school.
>>
>>53749038
You could remove the word "online" from your post and it would still ring true.
>>
File: 1447970040346 - Copy.jpg (1MB, 1920x1160px) Image search: [Google]
1447970040346 - Copy.jpg
1MB, 1920x1160px
>>53749038
It's online gaming. There's no sense of community or commitment. You can't forge deep social bonds or react in real-time to subtle changes in your players and their moods.

Sorry to hear that though. Any chance you can recruit some non-gaming friends in real life?
>>
File: alexander-forssberg-plaguelands1.jpg (279KB, 1600x780px) Image search: [Google]
alexander-forssberg-plaguelands1.jpg
279KB, 1600x780px
>>53749038
>>53749073
Also... do you know any of them well enough to ask? There's no sense in operating off of half the info. Ask them what they liked and what they didn't like. It's only responsible, as a GM.
>>
>>53749073
>There's no sense of community or commitment.
>commitment

This is the worst.

Offline:
>"One of you will need to map."
>"I'll do it."
>players feel committed because of the effort they put in

Online:
>"One of you will need to map."
>"Ugh, isn't that YOUR job?"
>hours 'played' in Roll20: 200
>>
>>53749073
I could try recruiting people in my city's RPG facebook group, but there are fewer people than in online community and chances to form a group are smaller.

I think my refreeing was good this time, it's just that players were distracted by side quests and interacting with town NPCs, so they didn't even enter the main dungeon (Barrowmaze), maybe they thought that they didn't accomplish anything during that first session. But they actually completed some side quests and it was interesting in my opinion. Whatever was the reason, maybe I should try less open-ended adventures for now until I find good players for sandboxing and megadungeoning.
>>
>>53749185
At the beginning of my career I tried to force players to draw maps in roll20, but these lazy fucks wouldn't do it even if I placed a gun to their heads. So now I upload the map from the adventure module, turn on fog of war, and reveal relevant fragments as they explore. It works well and everyone is satisfied.
>>
File: 2012-07-24.jpg (306KB, 850x455px) Image search: [Google]
2012-07-24.jpg
306KB, 850x455px
>>53749185
Yup. Plus, people get distracted. I've banned phone from my table and I'm trying to get my wife to stop knitting. She's so cute though, I can't really bring myself to be mean.

Anyway, online, you could be savagely molesting a goat, with two tabs open to foodnetwork.com, while sitting on a stationary bicycle and wearing only a kimono.

Plus, to go to a physical game, you need to be presentable enough to leave your house. Not so online.
>>
>>53749237
For Barrowmaze that sounds pretty solid.

Even in Barrowmaze Complete there isn't much outside the main village and dungeon, apart from a few vague hooks and sites you can flesh out later.

Throw in a few of the rumors or hooks, maybe have one of the factions do something. The dungeon itself is great but it's nice to have stuff going on outside of it (especially if players get sick of undead and dungeon crawling in general).
>>
>>53747490
Lamentations of the flame princess
>>
File: A0zeEV4.jpg (18KB, 480x468px) Image search: [Google]
A0zeEV4.jpg
18KB, 480x468px
>>53749237
See, that's a slight problem. It's like posting an add in a game store. The only people who are going to see it are people who read ads in game stores.

But why are you throwing side quests and stuff at them out of the gate? It's session 1. Give a nice clear direction. Layer stuff on later, sure, but it's completely fine to say "for whatever reason (tell me later), you decide to venture into Barrowmaze" or "your party stands before the Cave of Tits".

Also, I meant it when I said to recruit non-gaming friends. Get that cool guy from Accounting, your old friend Shirley, and Dave from the apartment down the hall. Ask them if they've ever heard of D&D. Since Stranger Things and Community and a bunch of other shoes did episodes with D&D in it people are really intrigued.
>>
>>53747741
I've been looking for a starter adventure to play with several small groups of varying experience (as an experiment to see how different an adventure can be with different people), and I'm pretty sure that I'll use this one. I'll write down how it went on my blog once it happens.
>>
>>53749277
Trouble is, most of those maps show secret doors and traps. They're for the GM, not the player.

The sad part is that the drawing tools in Roll20 are great for drawing maps. They're very limited, but when you're drawing corridors and doors with snap-to-grid and the occasional freehand parts, it's the best thing short of pen and paper or learning vector graphics software.

>>53749284
Your wife isn't knitting while you play D&D, you're playing D&D while she's knitting.
>>
>>53747490
http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/3987/roleplaying-games/encumbrance-by-stone-legends-labyrinths
>>53749363
That's what I have done, I fleshed out the hooks and made side quests from them.
>>
>>53747490
Why don't you like them?

Add a few numbers, then everything else is 80 coins. Carrying 801-1600 coins or wearing metal armor AND carrying treasure, you slow down (no extra math).

It's pretty elegant, especially coming from later editions (where you have to micromanage every pound).
>>
File: idMti2C.png (29KB, 746x385px) Image search: [Google]
idMti2C.png
29KB, 746x385px
>>53749447
Please do! I'm always interested to see how it goes.

>>53749476
>Your wife isn't knitting while you play D&D, you're playing D&D while she's knitting.
That's definitely not true. That woman knits whenever she has her hands free. She can read and knit at the same time if someone turns the pages for her. She's a darn good player too. It distracts me, not her.
>>
>>53749546
>low_CHA_high_WIS.png
>>
File: tree illustration.jpg (460KB, 1342x1701px) Image search: [Google]
tree illustration.jpg
460KB, 1342x1701px
>>53748945
I'm working on more stuff, and my current business projects should wrap up by the end of the month at which point I can get back to my pleasure-writing. As for promoting it shamelessly, I probably should, but that's more effort than I can work up for the time being.

Still, your words are kind, and I appreciate you!
>>
>>53749546
Is she the Paladin? Or the fish?
>>
File: Table of Careers.jpg (286KB, 622x2022px) Image search: [Google]
Table of Careers.jpg
286KB, 622x2022px
>>53749891
She's actually not in my D&D games at all. She's in a separate fate game. She's too wise to my tricks and she'd warn the noobs before they had a chance to learn. The OSR games were designed for noobs only. It's taken them six sessions to learn to listen at doors.
>>
>>53750003
This made me picture your wife playing an also knitting old witch lady who follows a pack of adventurers around and doesn't do or say anything except warn them whenever they're about to do anything stupid. No powers besides extreme wisdom and witchly insight.
>>
>>53748574
What's the idea behind legendary/emblem spells in GLOG? I can't work it out from the written rules, I'm sure I'm just overlooking the relevant part or something.
>>
>>53750606
They are the big flashy spells that a given school is known for.
What commoners would imagine "powerful wizards" doing.
>>
>>53750678
Okay, but how do you get them? In the GLOG wizard rules I couldn't see any way to do that. Are they loot-only?
>>
File: Spell Mutation.png (118KB, 1283x1665px) Image search: [Google]
Spell Mutation.png
118KB, 1283x1665px
>>53750306
Not a bad idea. Maybe I'll have her play a sage in town. The PCs can spend money to get advice.

>>53750606
As you level, you get new spells.

Level 1: 2 spells from the 1 to 6 list.
Level 2: 1 spell from the 1 to 8 list
Level 3: 1 spell from the 1 to 10 list.
So by level 3, you have 4 spells (assuming you haven't been stealing any from dead wizards0).

At level 4, you can /choose/ up to 6 spells from the whole 1-12 list, or invent a new spell.

That gives you a lot of flexibility. It lets you fill in most of the school's spells (you'll always be missing 2 unless you find them elsewhere). And it lets you get one or both of your school's emblem spells.

These are the spells that make you stand out as a wizard of that type. Elf Wizards get "turn one arrow into a thousand arrows". Orthodox Wizards get "fireball." Animist Wizards get "curse you to suffer horribly" and/or "die in 3 turns."

It's the capstone. Those are the spells that make you what you are, as a wizard class.
>>
File: Q7cIOGt.gif (3MB, 640x359px) Image search: [Google]
Q7cIOGt.gif
3MB, 640x359px
>>53750729
Yeah, I think Arnold has them only show up as treasure. My interpretation is a little different.
>>
>>53750606
Arbo a'Real, Slayer of Deserts can send a forest a thousand leagues with the brush of his hand.
Björn Smellton, the hedge wizard at the end town, can find your lost cat on a good day.
>>
>>53749038
This is why I just threw the doors wide and got 10 people to join my campaign

5 people are actually active, maybe 3-4 per session, but even if only one guy shows up they are welcome to run through a solo session (usually heavily supported by dogs and retainers)
>>
File: dark master horned.jpg (74KB, 660x1000px) Image search: [Google]
dark master horned.jpg
74KB, 660x1000px
Hey OSR, working on a custom magic system again.

The quick rundown;
>No spell levels
>unlimited casts per day, preparing any spell costs a turn
>MUs have 1 at first level and +1 every even level in spell slots
>MUs get +1 to spell power every odd level past first level

Due to the usage of this system, spells obviously can't be able to be spammed due to it's unlimited nature, and I want spells to be weaker but immediately useful to compensate. So what are some good spells to use or tweak for this system?
>>
What is the latest (or only version) of the GLOG? 1.0?
>>
>>53753417
Check Punch's blog.
>>
>>53753385
These are mostly combat focused, but they're a better starting point than most.
>http://www.necropraxis.com/2013/09/22/spells-without-levels/
>>
File: Silica_Gel_Packet.jpg (17KB, 400x262px) Image search: [Google]
Silica_Gel_Packet.jpg
17KB, 400x262px
What would your party do if they found one of these in the dungeon?
>>
>>53754425
Throw it away, and not eat it
>>
>>53754425
Hold on to it. Might be good poison.
>>
File: Sugar cubes.jpg (44KB, 1000x783px) Image search: [Google]
Sugar cubes.jpg
44KB, 1000x783px
>>53754425

I've made a magic item like this before.

>Evaporation Cubes
Little white cubes, made of a very dry sand or salt like material. When thrown in any body of water, evaporates up to a small pond or at least lowers its water line by a few feet. No effect on a big lake, river, or ocean.

If eaten by a creature, rapidly dehydrates and deals a lot of damage. 4d6 damage on medium creatures or smaller, 2d6 if on a horse or bigger. Throwing this into the body of a slime counts as it being eaten by the slime.
>>
Is the DCSS Lankhmar Box Set out yet? I want to run a game of it for some friends if so.
>>
File: 211911.jpg (60KB, 900x1277px) Image search: [Google]
211911.jpg
60KB, 900x1277px
I can't find pic related in the Trove, and the rpgnow preview won't load.
Does anyone know what Marvels & Malisons is like?

>>53754720
I remember that! You posted a "prepare items in place of spells" thing a while back.
>>
>>53750905
Not only that, but if you meet a high level Garden Wizard, you can be pretty damn certain he can throw a tree at you. If you meet a high level Orthodox Wizard, you can expect a fireball. It's their calling card.

>>53754425
If they could read the outside, at least one of them would still eat it. If not, they'd probably all eat it.
>>
>>53755028
>If not, they'd probably all eat it.
You need to find smarter retards.
>>
File: oh you stupid fuck.gif (2MB, 400x222px) Image search: [Google]
oh you stupid fuck.gif
2MB, 400x222px
>>53755045
>You need to find smarter retards.

They are convinced that eating things they find in the dungeon will eventually give them superpowers.

They aren't /entirely/ wrong, but the things they will eat, or debate eating, are a little startling.
>>
>>53755112
To be fair, bird beaks aren't exactly sensitive.
And are lined with shreddy teeth.

Most birds-stomach can grind things, too.
That's what gizzards are for.
>>
File: 1492643029339.gif (1MB, 446x270px) Image search: [Google]
1492643029339.gif
1MB, 446x270px
>>53755270
True, but gulls are notoriosuly stupid for dying after eating pointy or deadly stuff.

I once watched a ring-billed gull eat an entire big mac box and wrapper. No food in it, just the box and paper. And then try to eat a plastic fork.
>>
>>>53755342 https://youtu.be/w_MSFkZHNi4
>>
>>53744722
Put them in a new dungeon
>>
>>53754800
>You posted a "prepare items in place of spells" thing a while back.

Yes I did! I still like that concept but I wouldn't use it for MUs now, maybe for an artifice class or something.
>>
>>53755395
That was pretty cool, though I'm not sure what it has to do with the subject at hand. Are you saying that birds are mindlessly covetous?
>>
>>53755985
Just reminded of it by the bird on the right in No.53755342

Good animator though: https://youtu.be/adi9Ijhvn1Y
https://youtu.be/vlUR09yRHZU https://youtu.be/ongZC94g7Xc
https://youtu.be/OFF9eg2cHc0 https://youtu.be/9RHFFeQ2tu4
>>
File: sneak attack.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
sneak attack.gif
3MB, 480x270px
>>53756211
>>53755985
Also, useful for Animist Wizards: https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-animist-wizards.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vgSMFLt_No
>>
File: Horse Armistice.pdf (13KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Horse Armistice.pdf
13KB, 1x1px
Hey OSRG, how do you guys handle mounts being left behind while the players are in a dungeon?

Would signing the Horse Armistice help the situation?
>>
>>53755395
>>53756211
>>53756244
well if we're posting inspirational animation;

Wow A Talking Fish!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmB4DfG-3K4

Very Bluebeard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pVX32r6RFM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nogY0Y2rjwM
>>
>Ekh wears Adidas
Gets me every time.
>>
>>53758396
Depends on the dungeon and surrounding environs

The main large mchuge megadungeon is actually beneath town, so for delves that last long enough that the horses would even roll for MAYBE having a random encounter are low because dungeons outside town are mostly just 1-6 room mini dungeons.

Also on a meta-level I the GM am unlikely to have fun if the players lose their mounts because I like my players exploring fast, so I am unlikely to kill the horses offscreen.
>>
>>53758396

Great trick for running away:
9 times out of 10, you can fit a horse in the dungeon.
>>
>>53759172
Donkeys sure

Horses? Either your dungeons are weird or your horses aren't actually horses, they're weird quadrupeds that neither think nor move like horses
>>
File: 50 Peddlers pdf.pdf (103KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
50 Peddlers pdf.pdf
103KB, 1x1px
>>
File: Wizard painting.jpg (564KB, 764x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Wizard painting.jpg
564KB, 764x1200px
I don't really like 'Magic Users' as a class name. What's a better name?
>Sorcerer
>Wizard
>Magician
>Mystic?
>>
>>53759949
Wizard, Mage or Arcane-User
>>
>>53759949
Wizard or mage, I'd say.
>>
File: Dark Sorcerer.jpg (63KB, 545x873px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Sorcerer.jpg
63KB, 545x873px
>>53760074
>>53760112

What's wrong with Sorcerer?
>>
>>53760175
Sorcerer in later editions of D&D is its own thing
>>
>>53749038
>>53749073
>>53749185

>my group is entirely online
>all our sessions everyone has been on time
>they want me to try and add a second day to our weekly schedule
I have no idea what you guys do to fuck up online games.
>>
>>53759949
I like "Wizard" or "Magician".
>>
>>53759949
I've always liked warlock, personally, but I also feel like it should be a matter of the player's preference. That's why I keep magic user as the de jure name for it.
>>
>>53760185
But that's the later editions. In OSR context, who cares?
>>
File: No Spell Level magic OSR.pdf (113KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
No Spell Level magic OSR.pdf
113KB, 1x1px
I ended up codifying my new homebrew magic rules combined with an older pdf about customizing your spell effects to fit your character. I really like how it came out and now every spell I have thus far scales as you get higher level.

Any feedback on this?
>>
>>53760175
Sorceror implies evil, but if that's what you're going for then why not.
>>
>>53760423
>Sorceror implies evil
What? No it doesn't.
>>
>>53749038
>>53760231
>have been gaming online using fucking text-only
>ran more successful games online than IRL at this point
>so much buddy with the players one of them invited to his wedding in spite of having never gamed together IRL
Am I just lucky?
>>
>>53760231
They use online gamefinders.

>>53759949
I prefer Magic-User, but I do all my classes as Word-hyphen-Word.
If I weren't doing that, my next pick would be Sorcerer.
Wizard, if I asspuled the spell lists.
>>
>>53759949
Wizard if you like 2e
Sorcerer if you Warhammer
>>
>>53760231
>>53762218
Congrats anons, you won the unicorn lottery.
>>
>>53761896
Give me an example of some good sorcerers in fairytales and old stories. Seriously, I might be wrong but I can't think of any. "Sorceror" is almost always preceded by "evil".
>>
>>53763400
Merlin
>>
>>53763400
St Cyprian
>>
>>53763400
There just aren't a lot of good wizards under any name in fairytales. "Sorceror" is just a synonym for wizard, a French loan word from "sorcier".
>>
>>53763483
Merlin is described as a wizard, is he not?

>>53763753
Don't know who this is but neither wikipedia nor the catholic encyclopedia brings up nothing regarding the term sorcerer. There isn't even any mention of magic. I also have a hard time imagining that a bishop would practice sorcery and that that bishop would be heralded a saint.
>>
>>53763924
It's definitely more than a synonym.
http://etymonline.com/index.php?term=wizard
http://etymonline.com/index.php?term=sorcerer
>>
>>53763999
St. Cyprian of Antioch. Patron saint of necromancers. He has a couple grimoires attributed to him, mostly dealing with summoning spirits using magic circles (encircle being the origin of the word sorcerer).
>>
>>53764029
Two can play that game.
http://etymonline.com/index.php?term=sorcery
>>
>>53764062
Could you give me an instance of him being referred to as a sorcerer as opposed to another sort of magic user?

>>53764071
What's that supposed to prove? Notice that it refers to witchcraft, which is also traditionally evil.
>>
>>53744388
>What is best in life?
Cheese and variety
Notably a variety of cheeses
>>
>>53764121
>What's that supposed to prove?
Primarily that the same guy literally describes "sorceror" as a synonym for "wizard". But the real, deeper point is that Etymonline, while great, is still a thing one guy makes as a hobby. It's not really something like the OED that you can point to as an authority, much as I respect the guy's work.
>>
>>53764029
>etymonline
Cancer of the highest order.

It actually got sorcerer's etymology correct, but it botched wizard's.
You can follow wise back to prot-languages, but before you leave "the-land-of-documented-things-that-actually-happened" it comes from gwys (write/summon/call).

Not that the etymology is even relevant. Ask anyone without exposure to RPGs, and they'll tell you Wizard and Sorcerer are synonyms.
Sorcerer is just one of many, many redundant French loan words.

I'm not a fan of most of the wikimedia project but, if english.stackexchange doesn't have an answer, go to wiktionary for your etymologies.
>>
>>53764360
>>53764446
I can accept that etymonline is pretty shit, so consider my argument moot.

Still, I have yet to see an example of a classic sorcerer that isn't evil. I looked into St. Cyprian a bit more and it turns out that he's referred to as a sorcerer when he is pagan and evil, and he only repents and becomes christian later on.
>>
>>53764532
I won't agree with you, but if you can find a non-evil pre-modern use of wizard I'll let you have the last word.
>>
>>53764651
I'll admit that I can't find anything, but I'm mostly thinking about this in terms of the stuff that D&D was inspired by. Conan fights sorcerers who practice evil sorcery. Merlin is a good wizard. Sorcerers are more often evil. Calling someone a sorcerer rather than a wizard implies that they have evil qualities.
>>
>>53764922
>Merlin is a good wizard.
Myrddin *was* a wizard, being Welsh and all that.

>in terms of the stuff that D&D was inspired by.
No version or translation of Arthurian Legend is in Appendix N.
But contemporary Merlin is a magician more often than not.
When he's not, he's a sorcerer more often than a wizard.
>>
>>53764029
>>53764360
For what it's worth, OED lists the first instance of "sorcerer" as the Tyndale Bible, where it does just mean a wizard or magician.
>>
>>53765847
But everyone who does magic in the bible is basically a bad guy, right?

>>53765805
I guess the most apt term would be magician, then.
Anyway, I concede that it doesn't matter in D&D. All of the terms we've been throwing around and titles for the magic user in OD&D, after all.
>>
What are some good, beginner-oriented one-shot dungeons aside from Death Frost Doom and Tower of the Stargazer?

Weird/funny is fine (and appreciated).
>>
>>53766074
Maze of Nuromen is pretty great.
>>
>>53765981
When the bible references magic use, it usually means misleading others or
poisoning wells.
>>
>>53766074
An anon here made his own dungeon for beginners: Tomb of the Serpent Kings (>>53747741).
>>
>>53759949
spell caster
>>
*characteristic tosser
>>
Situation:

>duke invites party to dinner

>player: "hell no I'm not eating or drinking anything, I don't trust this guy"

>DM: "do you have a reason not to trust him?"

>player: "I'm not going to die because I drank poison"

How do you deal with this situation.
>>
>>53767031
poisonous gas
>>
>>53767031
He doesn't eat anything, thereby insulting the dukes hospitality and, even worse, missing out on a delicious free meal.
>>
>>53767031
>How do you deal with this situation.
It depends. Either what this guy said: >>53767122 or if I have sensible players besides that guy they'll probably explain to the duke that the horrors of the underground have made their buddy weird and tweaky and caused him to have paranoid fantasies, it's nothing personal.
>>
>>53767031 c >>53767122
Or if we're doing joke answers, the meal contains a potent antivenom.
The duke and all his servants are covered in snakebites.
The walls are full of poisonous snakes that bite people in their sleep.
>>
>>53767557
>I am the Duke of Australia, welcome to my court
>>
>>53767031
Someone will comment on it.

If they're diplomatic they'll ask if the food is not to their liking or if they have some sort of religious vow with dietary restrictions.

If they're not diplomatic then someone will comment on it, and the Duke will likely get offended at having his hospitality refused as if he was serving common slop. Someone else will act to defend the Duke's honor and stop these insults.
>>
>>53764651
Odin Maybe?
>>
File: BX Cantrips - DRAFT v0.1.pdf (79KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
BX Cantrips - DRAFT v0.1.pdf
79KB, 1x1px
So I tried making my own cantrip rules for B/X even though everyone's already made their own. Many of these entries are straight rips from such lists, so hopefully they don't mind.
Any sort of feed back mechanical, grammatical, or organizational would be helpful.

BX Cantrips - DRAFT v0.1
>>
>>53767999
He was a seidmenn (male seeress) and a skald (poet).
Seidr is altering fate, which is seems exactly like sors and not at all like wise.
>>
Is Torchbearer a good alternative to DnD?
>>
>>53769705
I think it is, but I already replied to you in the other thread, so let's waint for other answers. It can take awhile as this place is slower
>>
Besides Purple Planet, are there any other good campaign settings or adventures regarding strange other possibly dying worlds?
>>
>>53769705
Torchbearer is barely OSR at best, and I'm not a huge fan of the combat, but it's a fantastic game. What's wrong with Bx?
>>
>>53766074
>http://www.occultesque.com/2017/02/1d100-secret-doors.html

- Holmes Sample Dungeon aka Ruins/Tower of Zenopus
>>
>>53769705
They're almost nothing alike. You have to love exactly what they're doing exactly the way they do it or it's a slog.
>>
I wrote a generic OSR intro for new players.

https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-introduction-for-new-players.html

I'm not sure if it's one of the most useful things I've ever written or one of the most useless. I'm sure /tg/ will let me know.
>>
>>53770518
Huh. Interesting. I don't know anything about the way it works. Am I well served just by snagging the book and reading it?

>>53770400
>>53769941
Thanks.

I'll be honest, I have no idea what OSR is. I just was told to come here to ask.
>>
>>53770594
It's obtuse, hypercrunchy narrativist wank that occasionally produces something sublime if you have the right people who all understand the entire rulebook and the conventions and assumptions it presents. It's an interesting read and mouseguard was fun once I wrapped my head around it but it's more about collectively metagaming the drama of a a dungeoncrawler than it is playing a dungeon crawl. Really heady shit and not what most people are looking for.
>>
>>53770763
That sounds neat but useless. I can't get people to make time and interest in DnD. Let alone this.
>>
>>53770594
>snagging the book and reading it
Section 5 in the Trove, if you want a feel for it before you decide whether to pay.
>>
>>53770763
That's what OSR is?
>>
>>53770848
That's what Torchbearer is.

OSR is anything immediately compatible with ant D&D product made by TSR.
There's also the implication of dungeon or hex crawling as the primary game stricture, as well as moderate (but steady) lethality.
>>
>>53770848
OSR is vaguely crunchy gamist wank that occasionally produces something approaching fun through pure RNG.
>>
File: Y7ZNFC.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
Y7ZNFC.gif
2MB, 320x180px
>>53770901
>>53770920
>>
>>53759949

I like the Magic-User handle because it's both charmingly obtuse and somewhat vague. By calling any general caster a "Magic-User", it works as an umbrella that encompasses Sorceror/Wizard/Warlock/Mystic/Shaman with minimal fiddly bits.
>>
>>53771025
Isn't it for legal reasons?
>>
>>53770528

The "Elements of Skill" entry is oddly titled. Technically elements of skill persist in "fixed" environments--but in TTRPG, it's not only a sandbox, but OSR advocates lateral thinking.

It's not so much about describing it as a skill, so much as how OSR ENCOURAGES working outside what's on the printed page, whereas video/board games (and some TTRPGs) can't support that even if they wanted to.

Otherwise, it looks pretty good. Nice and brief. Gonna steal "this should be the most interesting thing going on" for future use.
>>
Any advice for making/keeping a hexcrawl interesting? I've run loads of campaigns before, but never a hexcrawl style game. I really want to, though.
>>
>>53771031
When Magic-User was first used, they didn't have second thoughts about Hobbit or Balrog.
>>
I plan to use roll20 and make the map look all sexy. Is there any good way to add back in the risk of getting lost when being chased and so on?

I was thinking of:

>1. turning fog of war on, and if players are fleeing enemies, making the map dark and just describing things, then moving them to where they'd end up based on what they describe doing, such that if they run into unfamiliar territory they still have to find their way back.

>2. Never showing them the whole map at once, so that they still have to draw their own map to avoid getting lost.
>>
>>53771418 c >>53749277, >>53749476
>>
>>53771031
I'm trying to imagine a Magic-User class name that's subject to trademark concerns.

It's hard.
>>
>>53759949
Spellcasting Man
>>
>>53759949
Incantation Spitter
>>
>>53759949
Tome's Groom
Book Fucker
>>
>>53773180

'Tomb Groom' is a pretty good name for a necromancer.

Tome's Groom doesn't rhyme at all, unless you intentionally fuck up the pronunciation and say 'Tome's Grome' or something.
>>
>>53759949
Barbarian-Bestrangled
>>
File: chronoturge.png (257KB, 1719x615px) Image search: [Google]
chronoturge.png
257KB, 1719x615px
>>53759949
Master-Caster
>>
>>53759949
Mercury Huffer
>>
Why isn't caster supremacy normally regarded as an issue in OSR games?
>>
>>53773977
Because casters are balls in OSR.
>>
>>53772440
OSR isn't OGL and I thought it was part of the naming conventions where you can't use the language of the rules. Could be wrong, but that's why I assumed they didn't just call it a wizard.
>>
>>53774045
>OSR isn't OGL

I guarantee you Marshall and Finch glued a copy of the OGL into the back of OSRIC.
>>
>>53774075
Then I'm thinking of something else. I know a lot of iconic, though generic, names were changed for different retroclones for legal reasons and I figured MU was part of that.
>>
Anyone have a solid Spellsheet for M-Us to record what they know and how much they can cast?
>>
>>53774225
Use index cards.
>>
File: Cover.jpg (2MB, 1130x1481px) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
2MB, 1130x1481px
Hey everybody. I did a thread here you might be interested in: >>53767530

I'm done responding there because it got trolled until it became a muddled mess. Someone came in and started mirroring my u/n just to ruin any sort of discussion that could be had. If anyone in this thread finds it interesting, I recommend going to this post: >>53774263 and looking at all of the posts I marked as mine.
>>
>>53774371
Jeez.

Don't use a trip if you don't need a trip.
But /if you need a trip/ use a trip!

That's embarassing just to look at.
>>
>>53773977
There are some crucial differences in how spells and saving throws work. In older editions, saves depend almost entirely on the *level of the target*, and become easier to pass as you level up. This means that on high levels saves are easier to pass, rather than harder as it is in 3E where save DCs depend mainly on the *caster* and notoriously become harder as levels rise.

Also, there's nothing like Concentration checks; in most OSR games, getting hit while casting means you lose your spell, and in some you can't cast in melee at all. That means casters are reliant on fighters to protect them, almost regardless of how powerful they are; they can't just bite a sword blow and then disintegrate the swordsman.

Older editions also just plain grant casters fewer spells.

(At this point, it might occur to you that all the changes to newer editions were made by asshurt casterfags. This would be correct.)

I will say it's not perfect; a few problems still exist. Notably, making up spells and magic shit is a much easier form of content addition than trying to add systems for things like combat moves, especially since old-school play strongly opposes established combat-maneuver rules rather than just saying what you do in combat and the referee making a ruling about that. So there still tends to be one Fighting-Man class and then a profusion of casting rules and content, just by a sort of natural -- but at least a lot of magic loot is fighter-only or strongly more useful to fighting-types. (In OD&D, like half the content of the magic item section is about magic swords, which no other class can use.)

Individual spells also tend to be more powerful in OSR games; e.g. Sleep doesn't grant a saving throw at all in Basic, but that's not a really problem. It just means caster PCs aren't useless depsite having only one spell on level 1. (Plus, Sleep doesn't affect higher-level PCs at all.)
>>
>>53774371
>I did a thread here you might be interested in
Oh yeah? What's OSR about your game? And don't ask me to go read the whole thread, I'm not invested in it now, so why would I?

Going by your OP it has almost nothing in common with 1E AD&D, and in fact seems to position itself in opposition to levels and murderhobos, so I don't really know why you thought this thread would be a good fit for it.
>>
>>53767031
The rest of the party eats
You hand them (except the fighter of course) notes
The notes read
Do not show this note to anyone or your character will die instadeath.
The meat was delicious, the lamb was quite salty owing to the dukes wealth, the olives were very refreshing, the roast pig was rounded and savory, ... just go really into the food porn.
>>
>>53774416

So long as trips aren't unique, they don't really serve much of a purpose other than "I'm that same guy as the last time you saw that trip." I was doing a story-time thread. Doesn't that seem normal to use one?
>>
>>53774481

This board is a clusterfuck, man. In there everyone claims the game is just a Chainmail remake. One guy helpfully points me to this thread saying the game may find better reception here. I go to the thread; post the link, you claim it's too newfangled. baka. No winning.
>>
>>53774481
I just read through it. Mechanically, it uses a d10 with a skill roll-under similar to LotFPs d6. There are a bunch of skills ala 5e. There's a good amount of crunch that would prolly annoy most OSR folk.

But I think the dudes ambition is in the right place.
>>
>>53774481
Just skimmed that thread. All he talks about is the setting.
He also very explicitly only came to shill. He's not even familiar with the site.
He got rused into thinking semantic change was anti-Semitism, even.

>Oh yeah? What's OSR about your game?
Nothing beyond the OP mentioned mechanics.
He came here because the first post >>53767604 told him to.

>>53774494
>Doesn't that seem normal to use one?
If you're justifiably namefagging (you were) and you get impersonated (you were), you get a trip.
The only other situations that justify tripfaggotry are play-by-post games and questmastry.
>>
>>53774571

Posts talking about mechanics are:
>>53767530
>>53768382
>>53768504
>>53768657
>>53769141
>>53769351
>>53770018
>>53770219
>>53770317

I would be happy to answer questions or expand if you think something is vague.
>>
>>53774533
>In there everyone claims the game is just a Chainmail remake.
That's damned confusing, since Chainmail is a medieval minis game, not a roleplaying game at all. Possibly you're being trolled.

But look, guy. The board isn't a clusterfuck just because people don't display immediate massive interest in your game. You need to get some thicker skin if you're going to stick around here, that's just a fact.
>>
File: LotFP Monk Draft.pdf (212KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
LotFP Monk Draft.pdf
212KB, 1x1px
Please rate and revised

I'm thinking of adapting a lighter system of powers but I'm having trouble doing it.
>>
File: Skerples.png (46KB, 497x509px) Image search: [Google]
Skerples.png
46KB, 497x509px
Am I missing any?
>>
>>53774683
I'm still not sure why the +1 AB powers are strikes, since that seems to create ambiguity with the "activates on hit" thing, but on the other hand, I get the idea, this isn't formal logic, so eh, fuck it.

I think the rest is good, would use if it were suitable for the tone of the campaign. Would not use in LotFP's Weird Europe setting, though, it would be bizarrely out of place there.
>>
>>53774693
I'm def guilty of letting players do stupid shit, no prep and homebrew system. I might kind of play favorites but it's because this one particular player doesn't act like they're supposed to be invincible.
>>
>>53774776
If 4 people ask you to step on their nuts, not stepping on the 5th guy's nuts isn't playing favorites.
If 4 people ask you to step on their nuts and you offer only the 5th guy some cheese, that's playing favorites.

That aside, have you read http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/8406/roleplaying-games/thought-of-the-day-are-you-sure-you-want-to-do-that
>>
>>53774822
Its funny, shes my friends wife (another player) and despite not being a gamer or anything, plays so much better than the rest hah. When everyone else is being a pussy she'll take action. When other people want to fight everything, she decides to go do something useful (while they inevitably all die because they think they are tough.)
>>
>>53768089
Cool! I'm definitely gonna plunder shit from this. Or is that "pillage"? I never know the difference. Just rest assured that there will be a bare minimum amount of raping in the mix.
>>
>>53770528
Looks pretty useful. I'll probably borrow that for when I introduce some friends to OSR later this year (hopefully). Though I'll probably edit some of the setting stuff to better fit my campaign.
>>
>>53774494
>So long as trips aren't unique,
...you do know what a trip is. Right?
>>
>>53771085
I guess I'd consider "Skill" to be "stuff the players learn how to do", like "asking good questions" and "thinking laterally."

>>53774951
Oh, definitely a good idea to rewrite it.
>>
>>53768089
>A Magic-User knows three cantrips and can cast four in a single day.
Bx MUs have the same capacity for their spellbook and memorization.
>>
>>53759840

Anyone have a request for something like this?
>>
>>53776190
50 Dungeon Captives
>>
>>53774758
Fixed and clarified
>>
>>53766385
Damn Jews
>>
>>53744480
True DA&D and the certain knowledge that retroclones are false editions.
>>
>>53774693
How am I somehow both "lets players do stupid shit" as well as "doesn't let the players do anything"
>>
>>53776932
>the True AD&D imitators can't even be bothered to spell their shitposting correctly anymore
I wonder how long the real True AD&D has been dead.
>>
>>53778416
What's this "True AD&D" thing anyway?
>>
File: it's a meme you dip.jpg (39KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
it's a meme you dip.jpg
39KB, 600x600px
>>53778472
>>
>>53771418
>Never showing them the whole map at once, so that they still have to draw their own map to avoid getting lost.
Not sure if it'd help, but what I did was create a light effect. A transparent png that cuts off "around" the 30ft mark
And I do it to simulate torch ranges.
>>
File: LotFP Monk Draft.pdf (211KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
LotFP Monk Draft.pdf
211KB, 1x1px
>>53776862
>>
>>53774683
>>53779390

Could you stop posting this terrible homebrew?

Frontline fighters with d6 HP will never be good. Especially without good AC and a strict level restriction on how much damage their attacks can do. It's bad, just stop.
>>
>>53779044
Do I need a roll20 premium account for that to work?
>>
>>53779402
Bo need to be rude dude, this kind of reaction will only make fewer people post OC here
>>
>>53779743
No, just make a big black PNG with a transparent hole in the middle. Sadly you'll have to move it with the token every time, and Roll20 grouping is wank.

Alternatively just use fog of war and set an aura. Selectively re-fog things as they move away.
>>
>>53774261
This is actually a really good idea. You can write the spell and its description on the index card, and use something like paperclips to mark how many times you've prepared it. A magic-user with two uses of Knock prepared then just has to slip two paperclips onto the index card, providing a stupidly easy way to keep track of spell slots and prepared spells.
>>
>>53781358
I just use multiple index cards, but yeah that would work.
>>
>>53778472
Back when there were still a lot of posters in the thread insisting that 2E was OSR (it's not, no matter what people think is "the most straightforward definition" or whatever), a troll appeared in the thread claiming that everything ever published by TSR for D&D was part of one and the same game, True AD&Dâ„¢. He was actually a really good troll, using the right tone and weird writing tics to make him look more like a typical USENET crank than a troll. Eventually, he disappeared and people began to imitate his schtick more or less sloppily for a laugh (dropping the â„¢, losing the crank arguments and so on); our own local shitpost.
>>
>>53782789
Why isn't 2e OSR, and why is the troll wrong?
>>
>>53779390
This guy >>53779402 is an asshole, but he has kind of a point in that there would be no harm at all in giving Monks d8 HD, especially if you specify that all the special abilities require them to be unencumbered.
>>
>>53782789
>2E was OSR

But 2e is OSR. It's compatible with all other OSR products. It's basically just 1st edition with less of Gygax's spergery all over it.
>>
>>53782807
>Why isn't 2e OSR
The generally accepted cutoff in the movement in general (the 2E-ism just happens here in /osrg/, really) is when the Dragonlance modules came out, became a gigantic success, and altered TSR's entire business model, orienting their products toward providing epic, heroic fantasy stories rather than open-ended, high-lethality sandboxes and dungeoncrawls. That happened during the 1E period, and it kind of coincided with the sanitization of D&D due to the Satanic Panic, so the whole game got a varnish of Elmore and Terry Brooks on top of what's really a base of Lankhmar and Conan. After that the original old-school style of play was lost.

Mind you, you can still run OSR-style games with 2E, and there are people in the thread who do IIRC, but it's an inferior product for it: you have to *already know* the OSR style to know how to re-apply it to the game, you have to write it back in yourself. The 2E XP rules are screwy, the 2E DMG is total shit compared to the 1E DMG, and so on.
>>
Would a freeform magic system meant to make casters function more akin to fighters (broad, stable options that can be applied in many situations relying heavily on GM adjudication) be a workable alternative to the current situation of casters having dozens of discreet, and often over-complicated powers?

I was thinking something like a broad list of "attack, curse, heal, etc." effects as more or less statted out options, and then a list of guidelines for other effects, all centered around uses per adventure.
>>
>>53782928
That's completely arbitrary and stupid, and paints you as a bunch of nostalgia obsessed weirdos looking to preserve in amber a very specific set of mechanical idioms and adventure designs. In short exactly what the critics of OSR gaming paint you as.
>>
>>53782928
You can run good OSR epic fantasy.
TSR didn't, but it's doable.

Beyond that, OSR isn't about high lethality. If you feel that way, you've been tainted by the WotC "DM versus Player" notion.

You should scale you content to only kill about 1 in 10 characters per session.
That means fiendish traps for clever players, and obvious traps for dumb ones. Etc.
Maybe kill 2 in 10 dumb players per session, until they start looking before they leap?
But you should be killing characters to kill characters. Do it to make give a sense of stakes.

>2E DMG is total shit compared to the 1E DMG
You're right about this, at least. 1E DMG has lots of bad advice too, mind you.
>>
>>53782928
>Conan

Honestly, OSR games are pretty shit at making you feel like Conan in my experience. The singular exception I've encountered being Scarlet Heroes, and even it has a distressing tendency to waste time with failed rolls that break the flow of the action.
>>
>>53782984
OK, first off:
MUs have worse chances at combat related activities, but they already have the entire range of freeform options available the fighters.

Second:
The referee is expected to adjuctate creative spell use.
(At the risk of outing my dark history, Magic A is not just Magic A)
>>53686650 >>53686691

Most importantly:
That sounds like a mechanical slog.
>>
>>53783027
Most 2e splats are gamebreaking by 1e standards. There's a pretty sizable powergap in what modules are designed for and what even core elements do.
>>
>>53783409
That's the thing, I don't want long lists of discrete effects to constantly adjudicate, I want a magic user class that can be summed up in a single page, because D&D magic users have always been one of the dumbest parts of the system. As for out of combat freeformery, wizards can't typically do what fighters can do because fighters are typically much more athletic.

>mechanical slog

You mean more of a slog than have 9 dozen distinct spells that you can use up to 9*9 times a day?
>>
>>53783437
>Most 2e splats are gamebreaking by 1e standards.
Could you name a few of such gamebreaking abilities and effects? I've got just about every 2e splat ever written and haven't seen that much stuff that'd break the game.
>>
>>53783437
>Most 2e splats are gamebreaking by 1e standards.

Ok then. It's still not part of a different era of game design since it's A. still produced by TSR, and B. still mechanically compatible with all old school adventures. So far your great criticism of it as something separate has been "BUT THEY DID SOMETHING DIFFERENT FOR ADVENTURE DESIGN!" which is exactly the kind of shit people criticize OSR for; being a bunch of insular, nostalgia obsessed dorks that are more concerned with religiously imitating and preserving inane idioms than pursuing any substantially meritorious of the design of old school games and attempting to improve upon it.

One of the worst fandoms, in exactly the opposite way to 3.x fans.
>>
>>53783027
>That's completely arbitrary
No
>and stupid, etc.
Feel free to leave then.
>>
File: areyousureyoureserious.png (308KB, 465x689px) Image search: [Google]
areyousureyoureserious.png
308KB, 465x689px
>>53783549
>calling osr a fandom
>>
>>53782984
You'll end up with dry effects that require extensive adjudication at each use.
>>
>>53782984
>Would a freeform magic system meant to make casters function more akin to fighters be a workable alternative
It probably would, but I'm not sure it would be a net gain for the game. Part of the charm of separate classes is separate mechanical foundations for how their particular abilities work.

That being said, you might want to check out Skerples' take on the GLOG wizards. They have significantly fewer spells, and it's clear from the commentaries he wrote for the 100 Orthodox Wizard spells that he means them to be creatively usable.
>>
>>53784120
Kind of like when the fighter tries anything other than "I attack"?
>>
>>53785296
Kind of like when the fighter says, "I lift the shack, then spin and throw it."
>>
>>53785296
DCC fixes that, thank fuck.
>>
>>53785296
That at least is based on a die roll. With magic it just happens.
>>
I want to give a big bump to this post that has links to a ton of rad artists.

https://falsemachine.blogspot.co.nz/2017/06/visual-artists-of-osr.html
>>
>>53747741
I'd say the only thing really missing here are explicit scenarios that involve pitting dungeon factions against each other, but that's something you could probably leave to the second dungeon.
>>
>>53782789
>Back when there were still a lot of posters in the thread insisting that 2E was OSR (it's not, no matter what people think is "the most straightforward definition" or whatever)
but it is though, saying 2E isn't OSR is nitpicking of the highest order
>>
>>53787934
Not the guy you're replying to, but I don't consider it OSR either. Old school sure, but not OSR. 3E is 17 years old now, it's probably old school too (as was 2E in 2006).

OSR isn't just old shit revived, it's specifically tied to the Original/Basic editions and their derivatives. There were plenty of other role-playing games around the same time, but they (and their newer derivatives) aren't OSR.
>>
File: osrg demographics.png (187KB, 1876x611px) Image search: [Google]
osrg demographics.png
187KB, 1876x611px
>>53788963
AD&D is also part of the OSR, in fact maybe even more so than Basic and OD&D. It's just that Basic is discussed more over here.
>>
>>53789172
I suppose it's just a matter of preference but even outside of /osrg/, most OSR content is based on B/X and its retroclones. There are specific AD&D communities and the occasional supplements like The Night Wolf Inn, but all the AD&Disms just make me think, "Oh, this isn't going to be compatible without a lot of work."

Really it is a matter of opinion and "I know it when I see it". One thing I think that post is missing is people who play B/X and similar games without the weird. The B series, most Judges Guild books, and ACKS are good examples.
>>
>>53787934
Guy you were replying to here, and bruh, your personal opinion doesn't matter. Neither does anyone you can convince in this thread. /osrg/ didn't create the OSR and has no power over it. Most people, across the internet, in the OSR scene, exclude 2E, and for good reasons, even if you don't like them. So it's not OSR. OSR is about a play style that 2E stopped supporting.

Do I hate 2E? No. Tons of good settings.
Do I mind 2E discussions ITT? No, not that either, simply because it's too much to ask that people make a separate 2e general; that would be ridiculous.

I will concede one thing, though. There are clearly no fewer of you guys around than when True AD&Dâ„¢ first arose, to shitpost peacefully and in a thread-appropriate way.

>>53789172
1E AD&D is, sure. No question. Nobody's arguing that.
>>
File: Macris.jpg (100KB, 480x321px) Image search: [Google]
Macris.jpg
100KB, 480x321px
>>53789289
>One thing I think that post is missing is people who play B/X and similar games without the weird. The B series, most Judges Guild books, and ACKS are good examples.
That's true. Labyrinth Lord and the AED arguably also serve those guys, but you're right that ACKS is probably the main product aimed squarely at them.

For that reason, I propose we call them "ACKS Gang".
>>
>>53789297
>1E AD&D is, sure. No question. Nobody's arguing that.
Core 2E isn't very far away from 1E.
>>
>>53789603
Sure, but the few ways it differs are pretty far off from the whole OSR thing. Experience points, for instance, are all sorts of fucked up now.
>>
>>53789635
Experience is fucked in DCC too. I've seen several OSR bloggers and posters here who don't even use experience points. It's not a basis for OSR play.
>>
>>53789659
>I've seen several OSR bloggers and posters here who don't even use experience points. It's not a basis for OSR play.

Heresy.
>>
>>53789659
DCC isn't really a good example of OSR either, for the record. It doesn't even give you much treasure.
>>
>>53789659
>>53789684
>>53789686
>It's another "everyone has a different idea of what OSR actually is" episode
>>
>>53730491
The mainstay of OSR is AD&D.
Our hard on for Bx is an outlier.

>>53788963
>the Original/Basic editions and their derivatives.
Original is closer to AD&D than Basic.
Both in content and release date.

>>53788963
>Old school sure, but not OSR.
That's funny.
I consider 2e OSR, but not old school.
>>
File: 1492745086826.jpg (130KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1492745086826.jpg
130KB, 1024x1024px
Had a total party kill in the 2nd session of my other OSR game. Come read all about it.

https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-secret-of-steam-hill-session-2.html
>>
>>53789857
Not at all surprised.
c >>53774822
>>
File: 1489721113390.png (584KB, 1168x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1489721113390.png
584KB, 1168x1000px
>>53779390
It's nice that you're commenting and giving feedback, but people tend to appreciate feedback more when it's constructive and nuanced. There's no need to be rude.

>>53782789
>>53782807
>>53782887
>>53782928
>>53783027
>>53783282
>>53783343
>>53783437
>>53783490
>>53783883
>>53783549
>>53784015
>>53789172
>>53788963
>>53787934
>>53789297
>>53789603
>>53789365
>>53789684
>>53789659
>>53789760
>>53789744
>It's another "everyone has a different idea of what OSR actually is" episode

Correct. Can we all agree that:
a) we will never be able to agree on a definition
b) the moment we attempt to define it we'll create more arguments
c) we've done this a thousand times before

and move on? End of story, end of topic, vent your spleen in the 5E thread, etc, etc.
>>
>>53789987
>Can we all agree
Unfortunately not. If we could, we'd never have the millionth identical troll mill thread such as "When did you realize D&D was shit" and its ilk.
>>
File: Cats of Amontillado.gif (2MB, 250x216px) Image search: [Google]
Cats of Amontillado.gif
2MB, 250x216px
>>53789925
I have read that article and others like it. This ain't my first rodeo. In the post, I did gloss over a lot of points, but yes, they were informed - subtly /at first/ - that this was a bad idea.

Later on it was "You can run now. It's temporarily trapped behind the fire. You can still escape." "No, I charge." "Ok then!"

All the really disastrous rolls had the consequences explicitly stated ahead of time, including the "run at the enemy, who can see in the dark, with a flaming bottle of rotgut booze (your only light source) in one hand and a battleax in the other, and if you fail your Save vs Dex you'll drop the bottle and set everything on fire? You sure? Ok, let's roll."
>>
>>53789987
Clearly we need a Council of Nicea of OSR.
>>
>>53790056
It's entirely possible for people on the internet to get tired of arguing about specific subjects. It happens all the time; how else would people move on to new subjects?

In fact, this would be obvious to you if you had been on 4chan for a small handful of years, unless you're completely oblivious.
>>
>>53790104
We wouldn't have anyone to invite.
And besides, the Council of Nicea got real fucking rowdy. It's one of the cooler historical events to read up on.
>>
>>53790104
I'd rather come to a Concord on Weird.
>>
>>53790231
I've been on 4chan for a full decade. I can assure you the easiest troll threads and the most pervasive topics of today were here at the very beginning of /tg/ as well.
>>
>>53789857
>chain-powered elevator.
Driven, not powered.
>>
File: How to OSR.png (627KB, 1264x952px) Image search: [Google]
How to OSR.png
627KB, 1264x952px
>>53790423
Of all the pedantic bullshit mumble mumble mumble... Fixed.

>>53790104
Son, you don't know what you're asking for...
>>
>>53789297
>Guy you were replying to here, and bruh, your personal opinion doesn't matter
same could be said about yours jackass
>>
>>53790596
>Dice 3 cubes.

Do I need to adjust the cooking time if I dice 1, or even 9 cubes?
>>
Wow.
http://goblinpunch.blogspot.com/search/label/fuck%20you%20scrap
>>
>>53789987
>>53790104
best OSR definition incoming;

A game or supplement is OSR if it's one or both of the following;

1.) an edition of D&D(or AD&D) published by TSR Inc(certain other games published by TSR are also counted)

2.) is broadly compatible with any TSR edition and/or anything else calling itself OSR

or to TLDR it;

>A game or supplement is OSR if interchangeable with OSR and/or TSR D&D.
>>
File: heretics.png (256KB, 299x406px) Image search: [Google]
heretics.png
256KB, 299x406px
>>53790807
Best feud ever. You can hear Arnold's brain fermenting from here.

>>53790779
>Do I need to adjust the cooking time if I dice 1, or even 9 cubes?
Yes.

>>53790815
>TSR D&D

Ah, but doth OSR /proceedeth/ from TSR D&D, or is it /comingled/ with TSR D&D?
>>
>>53790849
>Ah, but doth OSR /proceedeth/ from TSR D&D, or is it /comingled/ with TSR D&D?
not sure what you mean by that actually
>>
File: Knowlege - Beasts.jpg (1MB, 1296x2187px) Image search: [Google]
Knowlege - Beasts.jpg
1MB, 1296x2187px
>>53790881
Sorry, I've been reading a lot of byzantine religious history recently.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filioque

Is a good place to start. The Controversy of the Double Procession is one of the most hilarious, bitter, and utterly pointless things in all of history and yes that includes all of Italian history.
>>
>>53790881
He means OSR started in 2004 not the 70s and people won't agree on whether TSR D&D is the root of or an example of OSR.
>>
File: Rosary-bead.jpg (126KB, 450x774px) Image search: [Google]
Rosary-bead.jpg
126KB, 450x774px
>>53790929
No, sorry, I didn't mean that at all. It was a Nicene Creed joke.
>>
>>53754594
It's not. You still shouldn't eat it though.
>>
>>53790815
But is 2e broadly compatible? Are the players broadly compatible?
>>
>>53790922
makes sense

>>53790929
honestly I could see how both would make sense

>>53790954
true although he does have a point

>>53791001
>But is 2e broadly compatible? Are the players broadly compatible?
for the first I'd say yes, as for the second, well this definition is almost purely from a mechanical perspective, as trying to make a definition from a playstyle or philosophical angle just invites pointless arguing since no one can agree on that sort of thing, so I'd say it doesn't matter
>>
>>53774651
Can you go and stay go?
>>
>>53774693
Got the version without your dab marks on it?
>>
>>53782789
2E is just 1E with more crap piled on.
>>
>>53791242
>>53791001
>>53791077
>>53790929
c>>53789987
>>
>>53791172
>>53752555
>>
>>53790755
>same could be said about yours
Absolutely. I meant to add that in the post actually, I just forgot. My opinion of where the line is drawn doesn't matter for shit, I just know where the OSR at large draws it.

>jackass
Look, you don't have to get all salty just because I skullfucked your mother.
>>
>>53791269
Nah m8, go fuck yourself. 2E is just 1E with more filler. Planescape was the only good thing about it.
>>
File: 1325808029788.jpg (4MB, 4000x2563px) Image search: [Google]
1325808029788.jpg
4MB, 4000x2563px
>>53791379
So let me get this straight. I referred you to a post that says
>a) we will never be able to agree on a definition
And your response is
>nah mate, go fuck yourself, you're definitely wrong

Have I got that right?
>>
>>53791427
You certainly have, because my comment has nothing to do with the OSR definition wank. Carry on.
>>
>>53791311
>>53791172
Go to fireden, I guess.
>>
When think about it, 2e is basically a retroclone of 1e.
>>
>>53791731
2e is not retro, it's an avant-garde clone
>>
>>53791731
shit this makes too much sense.
OSR is retroclones and stuff derived from TSR DnD and stuff derived from retroclones.
TSR DnD is just 'DnD'.
Fite me.
>>
File: Holbein_Danse_Macabre_37.jpg (223KB, 660x844px) Image search: [Google]
Holbein_Danse_Macabre_37.jpg
223KB, 660x844px
I'm writing a scenario where the party need to protect various specific individuals from being murdered by a necromancer.
I really want to play up the weird spooky aspects. I'm thinking one victim could be pursued across the moors by a skeletal Wild Hunt. And maybe another pecked to pieces by undead crows.

Has anyone got any good ideas for other attacks? Bonus points if they will creep the players out while they're on watch waiting for an attack.
>>
File: also this.jpg (1MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
also this.jpg
1MB, 1536x2048px
DiTerlizzi and Torment carried Planescape
It wasn't a good setting

>>53791379
Desert settings
Variant priests
>>
>>53792130
One NPC appears to turn into a horrific monster, but if the players kill him/her, the body looks human again.

One NPC just goes mad and tries to kill himself/herself.
>>
I seek opinions about the idea of applying dexterity bonus to attack throws for select light melee weapons. I won't bore you with details of my homebrew but I'm thinking of allowing dexterity bonus to dagger and rapier attacks and the like. My experience is that bonuses tend to be quite low anyway so it shouldn't have much impact, but will encourage high dexterity characters to gravitate towards these weapons, particularly if used with S&W dual wielding rules.
Does anyone else do this
>>
>>53792130
The barmaid goes to the moors at night and tries to woo her dead lover's skeleton

Thuggee is the traditional sense, but as skeletons wearing their old flesh.
They (carefully) take it off and ambush people. They're recruiting more skeletons.

Braggart skeletons who aren't affiliated with the necromancer.
They can't keep their story straight, and de-animate out of embarrassment if they admit their lies.

Poltergeists strangling people with their own clothes out of the blue, then fucking off.

Two very confused shapeshifters who were in a transformation chase.
One was fleeing a rape, the other was engaging in semi-violent but mutual courtship.
The necromancer was chasing the former, and is chasing the latter's date elsewhere.

Skeletons physically dragging people to down hell.
>>
>>53792431
>Skeletons physically dragging people to down hell.
Actually, scratch that.

>>53792130
Skeletons dragging people up to heaven.
>>
File: tumblr_nktq2k4QwL1qhslato1_1280.jpg (1MB, 1280x1817px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nktq2k4QwL1qhslato1_1280.jpg
1MB, 1280x1817px
>>53792386
>>53792431
Good stuff, lads. Thanks.
>>
>>53748401
>Potion design rules
Please do.

For the last several days I've been ruminating over how to implement alchemy into my game, and getting nowhere.

Seems like not many OSR bloggers actually talk about alchemy systems. Which is a shame. I need more inspiration!
>>
File: images(5).jpg (8KB, 293x172px) Image search: [Google]
images(5).jpg
8KB, 293x172px
>>53792130
The necromancer's last victim is himself. He willingly goes out in the open to commit suicide by adventurer. This completes a ritual that turns him into an invincible ghost-like being who can then only be killed in his dreams.
>>
File: tianhua-xu-7.jpg (546KB, 1920x1077px) Image search: [Google]
tianhua-xu-7.jpg
546KB, 1920x1077px
>>53792533
>Skeletons dragging people up to heaven.
Have I got an angel for you:https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/05/osr-minor-angels.html?showComment=1494100391876#c8998155174052618630
>>
>>53792918
I bet you all of the balls in my hand that Skerples was >>53724322
>>
>>53793095
>Their spirit will be forced to wander Creation for the rest of time, helpless and feeble, unless it can find a way to reincarnate and die.

Wait. Is this from being Warned, trying to dodge your Warning, or succesfully dodging your Warning?
>>
File: 1463724618305.jpg (436KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1463724618305.jpg
436KB, 1920x1080px
>>53793099
Take your hand out of your pants and prepare to be a eunuch, because it totally wasn't. I did steal the idea though. Stole it good. Stored it in my brain-hole.

>>53793151
The latter. Dodge your Warning and die and then heaven won't let you in, as you're already on the guest list. You need to get a new ticket. Although it's nebulously phrased, I agree.
>>
File: 1496333381234.jpg (52KB, 704x528px) Image search: [Google]
1496333381234.jpg
52KB, 704x528px
>>53793183
I'm juggling, you immoralist.
>>
File: EGzqM.gif (978KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
EGzqM.gif
978KB, 500x280px
>>53793224
You'll go blind if you keep that up.
>>
>>53793099
I'll be honest, it's not a bad idea. I've entertained doing something similar, at least.

My hope, though, was to have a system that would offer a broad variety of interesting options while ALSO having an underlying logic an alchemist player could work out through experimentation. But I've yet to settle on a way to do that that doesn't make the system seem bloated and inelegant...
>>
>>53789857
>isolation
I think this is definitely something that doesn't seem like a big deal until you experience it in actual play.

Even something like making your dungeon a trek of a few days away from civilization can do a lot to psychologically deter players from retreat, since "leaving" will involve a number of random encounter checks on the road and drain even more of the party's diminished resources (through daily food consumption, etc.).

Given how poor and fragile low level adventurers are in most OSR rulesets, I think it's always better to have dungeons no farther than a day out (and preferably even closer than that).
>>
File: dice+3d127 at char gen.jpg (606KB, 2705x2090px) Image search: [Google]
dice+3d127 at char gen.jpg
606KB, 2705x2090px
>>53793253
Reminder that the insane are prone to excess masturbation.
>>
File: 1497151589851.jpg (57KB, 736x1117px) Image search: [Google]
1497151589851.jpg
57KB, 736x1117px
>>53793288
Yeah, this game really drove home the idea of "the village" that's not too far away is really fucking important for 1st level characters. I can't believe I didn't see it until now, and now that I've seen it, I'm drafting /sheaves/ of posts about it.

It's as critical as making sure your dungeon has a secret passage in it. It's as critical as character generation.

As the players get wiser and their characters get richer they can move further from safety. They can mount expeditions. But to start with the game /requires/ safety and security close by. There needs to be a warm bed and a warm beer and a moderately attractive prostitute and someone who will sell you a horse and someone who will un-bend your sword and sell you apples. It's mandatory now.
>>
>>53793319
*3d126 sorry

I took
>Rumor of husband's murder or
>his desertion
to be two lines.
>>
*two entries
>>
File: 1497233970371.jpg (415KB, 1200x1135px) Image search: [Google]
1497233970371.jpg
415KB, 1200x1135px
>>53793319
Oh please.

Also, that is a good table. I might steal that to generate PC backstories.
>>
File: i251087.jpg (18KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
i251087.jpg
18KB, 300x300px
>>53793363
Warding masturbators is mistaking cause for effect, but you would be amazed how often most insane people masturbate.

>pic
It's a crime that Interspecies Reviewers isn't getting scantalted.
>>
File: OuE87p.gif (857KB, 248x194px) Image search: [Google]
OuE87p.gif
857KB, 248x194px
>>53793420
>you would be amazed how often most insane people masturbate.

I assure you, I would not.
>>
>>53790104
They tried that with roguelikes and they still have arguments about it all the time.
>>
>>53794844
That's because they didn't invite enough people.
Some people didn't know about roguelikes until after, etc.
>>
File: sam-hogg-eidy-goblet-msad17.jpg (496KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
sam-hogg-eidy-goblet-msad17.jpg
496KB, 1200x1200px
https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-drowned-wizards.html

Oh hey look, another kind of wizard!

Hooray!

These guys are weird conspiracy nuts from not-Atlantis. Their spells are the leftover cantrips of an extinct magocracy. They also fear water.
>>
>>53794958
I liked these when Arnold first wrote them, so I'll probably like them how you've written hem.
Kind of busy though. I'll read this after midnight.

In the meantime, I'd like to point out that people made requests for certain wizard write-ups and none of those requests were for this.

I get the feeling none of your players rolled one up, or you'd have mentioned Drowned Wizards here: >>53748401
Unless you posted that before you TPK'd those new players?
>>
File: t3_5poq64.jpg (680KB, 1417x1063px) Image search: [Google]
t3_5poq64.jpg
680KB, 1417x1063px
>>53795024
Yup, posted pre-TPK. Got to write up the new classes they rolled. Damn players, ruining my posting schedule. Anyway this class was 90% drafted. I just needed to edit a few spells.

You'll probably get a post on gods, then biomancers, then garden wizards.
>>
File: Gosu.jpg (572KB, 640x4592px) Image search: [Google]
Gosu.jpg
572KB, 640x4592px
>>53794958
They're sneaky wizards with spy undertones whose basic needs are always provided (only work for luxuries) and who are encouraged to never leave cities.

No matter how I look at them, they're a Thieves Guild and not a Mage Order.
The Emblem spells are the only ones that aren't primarily useful for crime.

>even if it is a little boring.
You could probably make it a bit more interesting by adding a duration (hold onto projectiles for a few turns, etc.)
You could also give it some synergy with #1 and #8 by making it enchant coins, instead of conjure bullets.
>>
>>53794958
That first can trip seems really useful for torture.
>>
>>53792222
Meh, plenty of good material. Planar stuff is what bought me for AD&D cosmology. All fun things in 3.5 world were leftovers from there. It was better than Ravenloft or Spelljammer which I both like, but Spelljamer is The Wasted Potential Game.
>>
>>53797464
Most of the really good stuff were already there well before Planescape, in 1st edition or earlier. Planescape added Sigil and a bunch of factions, which are all nice enough in the right kind of campaigns but not really any way related to OSR gaming, and wrapped it all in an obnoxious cant package.
>>
>>53797486
As non english-speaker I liked the cant, because I use regional archaic capital-cant with elements of thief cant. Works fun.

Planescape's far from perfect, but before it there was no real plane trekking. I know planes and hell were in Unearthed Arcana (IIRC), but far from being prepared for campaigning outright.

I can agree it's not really OSR as I come there only for AD&D2 settings discussion
>>
>>53797680
>As non english-speaker I liked the cant, because I use regional archaic capital-cant with elements of thief cant. Works fun.
I mean the cant wouldn't have been that awful had they been far more sparing in its use. But when they put it absolutely everywhere, it quickly got old.
Thread posts: 327
Thread images: 71

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.