[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We've all suffered it.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: cheese.jpg (13KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
cheese.jpg
13KB, 400x400px
Anons. Tell me your worst and most memorable encounters with That Guy.

Then tell me your victory tales of defeating That Guy.

Spin your tales, whatever the game.

(Pic semi-related)
>>
there was once this douche me and my friends knew who was just really sort of a dick and also abused his girlfriend.
we kicked him out after an argument on whether or not dogs are sapient (they fucking aren't)
>>
>>53733244
I'm fresh off a game with a That GM

>puts his "story" over player agency
>to the point of "the tunnel collapses so you can't go back for reinforcements"
>used Rocks Fall to kill a character because his player thought - just thought - of rolling a new character
>openly admits that he scales encounters so they aren't too easy or hard Oblivion was a mistake
>gives absurd loot and XP rewards for the stupidest fucking things
>gets prissy when a PC attacks another after he threatens to KILL HER
>just says "you fail, no PvP, I'm not letting you keep ruining the game"
>says that to our outright best player in the game and drives them away

I want to say I never felt better following suit, but I've supplied That Guy threads with worse stories.
>>
>>53734700
Maybe I'm wrong but I have a firm no pvp stance as a DM
>>
>>53735386
Not that anon, but it's fine to not want PvP in your games. Not many players are mature enough to handle it without taking it personally, and even if they are it can destroy the social dynamic of a party pretty easily. There's nothing wrong with telling your players that PvP is off the table, but you also have to make sure that the players make characters that work together. If someone's character is literally threatening another character's life, then you should ask your players as GM to knock off that shit and to rethink their character concept if their current one can't function in a cooperative environment.
>>
>>53734700
The system isn't made for pvp. I don't allow it either.
>>
I know a That Guy who isn't even in any games I play.
>First off, social circle considerations make it impossible to just get rid of him
>Believes Pathfinder is the best system. Has ended up using me as a consultant for character building because I used to play it
>I haven't had a campaign in any system in months
>Constantly wants to put homebrew stuff in games he's in. When he's not looking at other people's homebrews, he's making his own shit up
>Believes the race builder is for players
>The most recent example of his shenanigans is he wanted to homebrew a race of headless people
>Headless as in their faces are on their chests
>Wants advice on what headlessness should mean in the race builder
>Skipping why the race builder is shit, I just tell him "immune to decapitation."
>"Yes but what bonuses and penalties?"
>"None. They're immune to decapitation. That's it. Don't make other stuff part of being headless."
>Insists it needs an intimidation bonus
>Remember he still hasn't given up on the idea that a nat20 on intimidation can kill
>give up
>>
>>53735386
>>53735517
>>53735652
That's why I love FATE. Being optimized for one or two sessions (that you can string out into a campaign if you like) makes characters a bit more expendable, and death isnt off the table. Someone gets TK'd? Smoke break, make em a 15 min sheet and back at it. I find most folks schedules change or people get bored after like week 6 or 7 so D20equivalent isnt even worth it for my games/friends. If u liek PVP try FATE
>>
>>53733244
I want to bite that cheese.
>>
File: 1490674929895.jpg (278KB, 1200x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1490674929895.jpg
278KB, 1200x1500px
>>53733244
He brought a vampire loli elf sorcerer with maxed-out stats to the first session.
He killed my monk when I stood up to his immediate decision to enslave the rest of the party. I then left, went to my friend's house, and we played board games and had a lot of fun.
>>
>>53733244
I've told the story in other threads, but our That Guy had only one character: The Jedi. Didn't matter what system or game, he'd play as a faux-Lawful "badass" with a sword who had a code of honor that looked good on paper but always seemed to vanish when loot was involved. He tried to argue with me over Charisma items when I was the Bard. He even abused our DM's good-will and got a free companion without expending any effort or feats (which for some reason never took damage from AoEs that it should have). Hell, that DM legit had a crush on me and I refused to request any special favors.

I highly suspect fudged rolls. When I became DM I had the entire party keep eyes on him and they all suspected shit too.

As he got more jobs and was more stressed in general it got worse. Asking for things that he knew would be cheating if I gave him (like trying to argue he had his sword sheathed so he could use Iaijutsu when he had explicitly drawn it ten minutes ago), leveled up his sheet at the start of the next session so he could pick appropriate skill points, made me choose feats for him.

The last straw was when he misunderstood Cleave for the 47th time and started pounding his fist on the table in a fit when the wizard got his first kill of the entire session, robbing him of being able to use it for real. It killed my motivation and I didn't bother to do any of the fun things I planned with the boss that session.

Since the only time I called him out on things went horribly (really horribly), I just decided to not bother with it. My entire group of friends know that he won't ever know about our sessions anymore. He just thinks we're too busy. And he'll never know otherwise.
>>
>>53733244
Want to explain the photo, OP?
>>
>>53734700
>openly admits that he scales encounters so they aren't too easy or hard Oblivion was a mistake
>gets prissy when a PC attacks another after he threatens to KILL HER
>just says "you fail, no PvP, I'm not letting you keep ruining the game"
I mean these aren't inherently bad, and unless pvp is intended in the campaign it could easily create out of game animosity.
>>
>>53740792
I agree with this guy. Those are pretty standard practice. I'll add that "the tunnel collapses so you can't get reinforcements" is not bad on its own. If the players were expecting to muster a small army and ended up facing the threat alone that would be a neat little challenge. Does have the potential for fuckery if used with any regularity though.
>>
>>53734700
>Places story over all freedom
>Foregoes any deviation in script for the sake of tropes
>As an example, during a "Training Mission" the players ended the encounter in less than a round. The designated rival squad still managed to somehow do it quicker because ???
>Has gone on record saying Pathfinder is a terrible system for their campaign and they would never run a game in it
>Maybe a week later the game starts. Raw pathfinder but with D20 modern guns vs Bestiary dragons
>Due to being unable to balance, makes houserules to the tune of "If your damage would kill the enemy before an appropriate amount of time, they don't die"
>One player built social, can RP and make good rolls
>Interrogation session
>"She smirks and says she'll never talk"
>It was a 35+ total
>Is a Girl
>Has destroyed multiple long-running games due to camwhoring for multiple players in the same game
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.