[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FFG Star Wars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

So Fantasy Flight's Star Wars games. Anybody know any problems with it? I know it's better than Saga Edition, but that doesn't really set the bar high.
>>
Space combat isn't too great, especially for fighters. The upside is it works exactly like ground combat so it's easy to grasp.
>>
>>53732065
The dice are weird and take a little while to remember what (Star) (Star) (Jedi symbol) means and how that interacts with (Empire symbol) and (Upside down triangle) But one that's done it's not a bad system
>>
>>53732065
Personally, I still prefer d20 to it but that's just me. (I still have conflicting emotions about Saga and never cared to try d6). I'm not a fan of the resolution system. And I've heard a lot of complaints about the space system too.

I was actually talking to someone about the differences and to boil it down and oversimplify:
FFG is more cinematic
d20 is more immersive
They can pretty much all get broken mechanically and in terms of lore by jedi characters though.
>>
>>53734840
Yeah, I've given up hope of having a Jedi class that scales with other classes normally. At least FFG has different kinds of force-using classes than just 'Jedi'.
>>
>>53732065
you need to frequently interpret the dice and after a while that can get tiresome.
>>
>>53736032
One would think it'd get easier over time, though, the same way it does in any other system (interpreting outcomes, that is).
>>
>>53732065
It's still not as good as D6.
>>
>>53732065
It can put some strain on the DM. You have to make up effects for odd scenarios like "you failed this incredibly easy check to ask for directions but got 5 bonuses." And since a lot of it is determined by the DM an argumentative player can really ruin stuff for them.
>>
>>53735159
Why should a Jedi class be balanced? Have you even seen the films? Read any of the books? It would be like balancing Superman with humans
>>
>>53732065
I like that it doesn't dance around with obtuse math. Instead of fiddly plus this and minus that to the dice roll, it's just blue and black dice. I also like that you can't be mathematically locked out of a dice check. Personally, as a narrative guy I love how there is success with disadvantage and failure with advantag.

Are there any dice systems which are similar but don't use expensive proprietary dice?
>>
>>53732065
>Starfighter combat rules are utter dogshit and way, way too deadly for Star Wars. There are some good fixes for them, though.
>Proprietary dice. They're silly but you learn to use them quickly after a few rolls.
>Some Force powers are utter game-breaking when fully leveled.

Other than these, the system's great. EotE is one of my favorites right now.
>>
>>53739388
I can see where you're coming from, totally, but from a mechanical standpoint it seems unappealing to me to have one class be utterly better than the others. This was especially worrisome in Saga Edition, because the Jedi class could do a lot of things other classes were made around doing (if I recall there was a Jedi ability to fly starships better, and there was an entire Prestige Class made around flying in Saga, and granted, it probably got abilities during flight the Jedi didn't, but I felt it could make a party member feel insignificant when their entire character is made around being a pilot and the Jedi is like 'well I can do that too').
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.