[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sindarin name for an Elf character

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: Tengwar_sindarin.png (33KB, 1800x468px) Image search: [Google]
Tengwar_sindarin.png
33KB, 1800x468px
Our current GM has told my group about an upcoming campaign he's hoping to run come the natural conclusion of our current game and he's wanting us to create our PCs in the meantime. I'm thinking of going for a Wood Elf (based originally on my Morrowind character) and have been looking into Sindarin vocabulary for inspiration.

The 5e Handbook encourages a family name and I've been stuck on this for a couple of days. I've been thinking of 'Tautirith', which is a compound word (taur: great wood, forest; tirith: watch, guard, vigilance) but I'm not sure if it's grammatically correct.

If anyone could let me know if Tautirith is a suitable Sindarin name (family or otherwise) or give a name that'd be more suitable, that'd be fantastic.

Yes, I know I sound like a ginormous faggot but I'm really fussy about character names; that and my DM is a Tolkien fan and linguaphile.
>>
You shouldn't feel like a faggot for putting effort into your character.
>>
>>53726823
>Yes, I know I sound like a ginormous faggot
Are you new here? This is nothing.
>>
OP bumping, just wondering if anyone's gonna throw me a bone or if I should take this to /lit/ instead.
>>
>>53729620
>lit, talking about anything not Kiterunner related

https://realelvish.net/names/old/sindarin/people/flora/

Also, -tirith refers to watch in the sense of place, for the act of watching I believe you want tirnen (p.p. of tir- “watch, guard, gaze, look at”)

Tautirnen, Taurtirnen, or Tauron (the S name of Oromë is given as (Aran) Tauron “the (king) forester” < aran “king”, taur “great wood, forest” + on (traditional ending for male names) would all work
>>
>>53729961
Thanks anon, making the changes to my character sheet at the moment. Cheers for the heads up.
>>
File: sindarin.pdf (728KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
sindarin.pdf
728KB, 1x1px
>>53726823
Tolkien's Elves don't tend to have proper family names, they usually only have spithets and patronyms. For example, Gildor Inglorion of the House of Finrod was the son of Inglor and was associated with, although probably not a blood relative of Finrod. "-ion", "son of" is probably the most canonical option you have. Some other examples with something akin to surnames I could think of were Legolas Greenleaf (literally just a Westron/English translation of his name) and Finrod Felagund (from khudzul felak-gundu, "cave-hewer").

I'm far more familiar with Quenya than Sindarin, but even though Sindarin has some grammatical and phonological consonant mutations, the r in taur certainly wouldn't disappear. For "Forest of (the) Watch", Taur Tirith and Taurtirith would probably be fine. "Watch of the Forest" would probably be Tirith-i-Daur. Some other suggestions would be Taurben (meaning something like "forester, one living in the woods", from orodben = "mountaineer, mountain-dweller"), and Tirweg ("person who is watchful") from this good pdf on Sindarin grammar. The simplest way to combine them would probably be Taurdir, "forest-watcher" (from heledir "kingfisher, fish-watcher" - but this has some other implications, like that he's really obsessed about trees). Tirweg-i-Daur would probably be the best option if you meant to say something like "Watchman of the forest" but is certainly a mouthful to say.

>>53729961
Tirnen is an adjective, so that would become Taur Dirnen, "Guarded Forest", after lenition, just like in Talath Dirnen.
>>
>>53734134
OP here, looking through the PDF right now. Thanks for linking it, I'll be making a few more notes here and there.
>>
>>53734414
Also, the best dictionary is Parf Edhellen, the combine results from multiple reputable sources. For example, https://www.elfdict.com/w/guard
Noldorin words can also generally be used for Sindarin text, it's an earlier version of the same language and was named so way before Tolkien decided that the Noldor should speak quenya instead.
>>
OP here again; would Tawalthor work as a name for a protector of the forest? It's another compound word (halthor: protector - tawar: great wood, forest).
>>
>>53735322
I wouldn't assimilate the word that much, especially because taw by itself means wood as a material - so that would be "wood-protector", like an elf who was really pissed off that someone was gathering dead branches as firewood, and who was not concerned about the forest and its ecosystem as a whole. So I'd say either Tawar-halthor or Tawarchalthor (lenition doesn't always happen in compound words of two nouns, but it does occur in the word Tawarwaith).

If that's too long, why not just simply use Halthor as the epithet/surname? If he's anything like a typical Wood Elf, it could be obvious from the context what he protects. Plus, it rolls of the tongue easily and no established character in the legendarium has that name.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.