[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Warhammer 40,000 General /40kg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 569
Thread images: 60

Hordes Edition

>Leaks:
https://mega.nz/#F!3odCTLCa!5Jc-zB2-JJcYlT55L6FN8g

>Lastest news :
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/31/warhammer-40000-faction-focus-necrons/

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:
https://mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
https://mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
https://mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA
https://mega.nz/#F!z4wmmJyR!jTfwLczhdFjV0q6nowtGag!qgZhmAhK

>40k rules reference in wiki format:
https://sites.google.com/site/wh40000rules/

>Latest GW teases:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/warhammer-40000/

>Latest GW FAQs:
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-JP/Rules-Errata

>WIP Math-hammer doc
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h0hk_IdJ7fivDEjMiIpKM5yMMB8HTm64lZHuKdLZCIU/edit?usp=sharing
>>
Point values are all over the place and things are worse than 7th!
>>
File: 10744991.jpg (38KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
10744991.jpg
38KB, 620x413px
>>53718107
>yfw the greatest warriors in the galaxy get bumfucked by a bunch of chumps who barely know how to fire their guns pressed into service as literal cannon fodder
>>
>>53718122
If you play power level you don't have to worry about points.
>>
So, are missile launchers as bad as they look? A worse Lascannon with an alternative firing mode that kills an average of one guardsman?
>>
>>53718128
gommunist pls
>>
File: 1440010319915.png (226KB, 492x388px) Image search: [Google]
1440010319915.png
226KB, 492x388px
>>53718122
>>53718138
people actually think this way non-ironically
>>
So between Mek Gunz and Ork Flyers, which is better to look toward as far as clearing hordes goes?
>>
Hey guys, is their an 8th edition list builder yet that has orks?
>>
>>53718163
Ork Flyers, because you can use them to snipe characters, and they have much higher damage output for their points.
>>
File: s.jpg (2MB, 2007x1614px) Image search: [Google]
s.jpg
2MB, 2007x1614px
Everyone talks about ork assaults, but what about shooty armies?
>>
File: IMG_4134.jpg (125KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4134.jpg
125KB, 1000x1000px
R8 my competitive list anons

I doubt you could beat it

Grey Knight Vanguard Detachment

-Grand Master Voldus, 190

-Paladin Ancient, 142
+Nemesis Falchion, 0

-Apothecary, 92
+Nemesis Warding Stave, 0

-Paladins, 275
+4 Nemesis Force Halberd, 0
+1 Daemon Hammer, 13

-Land Raider Crusader, 244
+Twin Assault Cannon, 35
+Hurricane Bolterx2, 8

Total, 999
>>
File: Tyranidslist.jpg (265KB, 900x952px) Image search: [Google]
Tyranidslist.jpg
265KB, 900x952px
How shitty is it

venomthropes give pretty much everything walking on two legs more survivability
>>
File: 1900374876342.gif (983KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1900374876342.gif
983KB, 320x240px
>>53718167
yes its called a piece of fucking paper and a calculator
>>
>>53718167
I made a quick thing for AS and AM

Since I doubt anyone will make something decent for those in short notice
>>
>>53718207
/thread
>>
>>53718207
I'm not able to write with my hands.
>>
>>53718022
They exist. In fact, it's an entry on this extremely awesome Tech-priest generator someone pointed me to.

>Corpus Gloriosa: The Tech-Priest's body is a thing of aesthetic perfection, whether constructed with the devotion of a renowned artisan or gene-sculpted into a vision of corporeal perfection. Very useful for dealing with those outside the Cult Mechanicus, who set more store in appearances.

Some are more normal.
I mean, the Archmagos Genetor for my army is a horrible spiderlike abomination when he goes to war and the Secutarii Axiarch is covered in nerve sockets and Titanshard armour, but the Magos Reductor is basically a normal tall guy in a robe with a mechadendrite harness that locks into a single small pair of ports midway up the spine. He takes them off and dons normal clothes, he's somewhat handsome but forgettable. He commands the Mechanicum ships, so he doesn't fight much personally, and occasionally has to do some talking if the Archmagos got blown to bits again and needs to build a new body.

Same with the Titan Legion planetary liason in Titanicus, he's a standard dude but with a slight green flicker in his eyes as data is displayed to him.
>>
>>53718138
If you play power level your games will be even more off and you won't be able to take fluffly chaos lists where your unit sizes reflect your god's magic number without leaving power you pay for out of your list.
>>
File: IMG_3481.jpg (166KB, 1136x334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3481.jpg
166KB, 1136x334px
>>53718217
Make one in excel.
>>
>>53718217
Use your mouth or toes instead then.
>>
>>53718122
>things are worse than 7th!

Not really, its b8 I know but 7th ended up becoming Apocalypse with shit that just erased whole units and superheavies out the ass. Sure we still have superheavies out the ass but the new points system makes armies much smaller and the new AP system makes sure you're not erasing or denying whole units at a time while making the morale system actually mean something.

Armor saves actually matter even if the majority of units will have a 4+ or 6+ most of the time.
>>
File: 1421625358016.jpg (17KB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
1421625358016.jpg
17KB, 255x255px
>>53718207
>>
File: WeaponChart_IG_All.png (227KB, 782x1346px) Image search: [Google]
WeaponChart_IG_All.png
227KB, 782x1346px
>>53718147
That's about twice the number of guardsmen a Lascannon kills.
>>
>>53718207
/thread
>>
File: danko.png (2MB, 1600x545px) Image search: [Google]
danko.png
2MB, 1600x545px
Can someone explain GSC to me? am i doing it wrong? had my first couple games with them today, and they seemed pretty weak. we played about 1250 pts, fought Guard and Tau

>Cult Ambush gimped as fuck, nothing arrives closer than 9
>Praying for a 5+ more than ever, on ONE dice you're fucked
>No return to the shadows, get a shit roll? fuck you.
>No healing units
>Abberants are paper thin now
>HQ's just awkwardly stand back at their unit charges in in front of them
>basically everything is praying for a 9 inch charge

Am i doing the reserves thing wrong? is it true i can only have half my force arrive via 'deep strike'? if so that fucks with existing armies, nothing but our vehicles want to deploy normally

Making us a 'you need formations to even play lol' and then taking all the bonuses given to us in 7th really pulled the rug out from under GSC. Is this the edition where you shelf these fuckers and play Nids instead?

Has the four-armed Emperor forsaken me
>>
>>53718193
Grand Overtoaster, stop meming
>>
>>53718268
You should buy 500 Conscripts.
>>
>>53718268
Remember you can use a command point to reroll a dice so when you roll one shitty dice on your charge and one good one then use a point to reroll the shitty dice to make your charges. Other than that I have no idea. I don't play your army.
>>
>>53718238

>the new points system makes armies much smaller
lmao
>>
File: thumbs up.jpg (145KB, 1276x540px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up.jpg
145KB, 1276x540px
>>53718207
>>
>>53718159

Points values are a bit wonky, it's still miles ahead of 7th but I think '2 years of game testing' may be GW telling us some porkies.
>>
>>53718297
I did use that, but fighting shooty armies still hurt, felt more painful than 7th ever did

Tau Overwatch is still brutal as hell, i'd argue more so feels like it was never this punishing. And getting a 5+ save versus pulse guns doesn't help much when a 5+ is worth jack shit on a 1 wound t3 model
>>
>>53718255
Wow, and here I was exited to run my Steel Legion guys with Grenade Launchers and Missile Launchers.
>>
>>53718268
Take a detachment of Nids or AM to shore up your weaknesses

And you won't get T1 charges like you used to, gonna have to let those go.
>>
>>53718207
thankyou for restoring my faith in this community
>>
>>53718357
Math, thou art a cruel bitch.
>>
>>53718255
price per point (on the cheapest carrier) when
>>
>>53718268
Have you tried running familiars for using Mass Hypnosis and Might from beyond?
>>
>Always liked 40k
>Saw that 8th edition was coming out
>watched miniwargaming's battle report videos
>start researching what I want to play/buy
>Head to my local GW store, buy a start collecting box and paints
>Head home, super excited
>Open the box
>Spend 6 hours assembling one infantry unit, joy slowly draining from me
>Try to paint using the techniques I saw in all the youtube guides
>looks terrible, took forever, only one painted so far
The 2k point list i'm trying to work towards would require like months and months of work just to get assembled + painted. I love the 40k fluff, strategic elements of picking an army, faction variety, gameplay, and mathhammer stuff but holy fuck do I now realize I hate assembling/painting. I'm honestly considering just going through one of the companies that will assemble/paint for you. Do you all love to assemble + paint? Does anyone else hate/merely tolerate it because they just like the game itself?
>>
>>53718410
Assembling and painting is my favorite part of the hobby.
>>
File: Old_Doctor_1451.jpg (29KB, 350x262px) Image search: [Google]
Old_Doctor_1451.jpg
29KB, 350x262px
>>53718207
>going through old army books one day
>find lists more than a decade old on lined paper
>>
>>53718389
Truely.

And GW not giving you a full lasgun team.

At least the MBT Russ looks playable.
>>
>>53718354
Don't you guys have those kickass not-lascannons? Couldn't you provide you guys cover fire that way? Could you take a tyranid allied patrol that focuses on shooting and has a mawloc? I know I'm throwing shit out there, but I play Eldar, Necrons, and Blood Angels. I got nothing except I'm hoping to lay in some serious shooting with my tanks and twin autocannon dread so the overwatch doesn't hurt as much. Also I'm thinking that just becasue I can "first turn deep strike and charge" doesn't mean I always should. Maybe you shouldn't either.
>>
>>53718268
Use vehicles, take advantage of the scout sentinels absurd threat range turn 1, dpnt be afraid to plant neophytes with mining lasers and grenade launchers either in a truck or a truck for some decent shooting. I've had good results so far, my chimaeras took a surprising amount if punishment, and pairs of mining lasers do good work.
>>
>>53718420
Yeah i'm not trashing people who like that aspect of it, it's just not me. I have more fun making metrics in excel than I do assembling/painting stuff.
>>
>>53718435
Force multipliers turn Russes from mediocre and tanky into destroyers of innocence.
>>
>>53718217
Christy Brown plays 40k?
>>
>Philosophy – Roll 1d100
01-20 Ultra-Orthodox: The Tech-Priest is a fanatical adherent to the 16 Universal Laws of the Omnissiah and treats Adeptus Mechanicus Dogma as inerrant and unbreakable. Such an individual would never even study an item of xenos technology or the plans for an A.I., much less build or operate one.
21-50 Orthodox: The Tech-Priest abides rigidly by the 16 Universal Laws and expresses proper disdain for the workings of xenos and the abomination of thinking machines, but may not entirely agree with some less central doctrines and prohibitions.
51-70 Moderate: The Tech-Priest abides by the 16 Universal Laws, and may reject some minor or particularly obstructive dogmas of the Cult Mechanicus. While they would never dabble in xenos technology or AI, they may study such things in order to better learn to combat them.
71-90 Heterodox: The Tech-Priest's beliefs and practises differ from the norms of the Cult Mechanicus, to the point where they may reject such core tenets as the abomination of alien technology. However, if their experiments are non-disruptive or even beneficial, all but very Orthodox Tech-Priests are liable to give the benefit of the doubt... for a while, at least.
91-100 Heretical: The Tech-Priest rejects Mechanicus dogma to the point where they may reject one or more of the 16 Universal Laws. They may frequently dabble in alien technology, AI, reanimation of the dead, Daemonic technology, or they may embrace evil philosophies such as Progress and Innovation.

Gee I wonder where Cawl fits....
>>
>>53718268
>Cult Ambush gimped as fuck, nothing arrives closer than 9
Not really. A 6 let's you fully move, so the charge is pretty much guaranteed. 5 gets you a D6 move which usually is enough to get you the charge. The average of 3d6 is 10.5. you need to MSU them ro a certain degree to get enough 5+ results. Also don't forget that Primus and your command point re-roll.

You have unquestioning loyalty, you can afford to be a lot more aggressive with your character positioning. Why are you holding your characters at the back?
>>
>>53718255
Would you mind sharing that file?
>>
>>53718420
Playing > assembling > painting for me. I suspect he is in the same boat. I didn't really like modeling at all until I started kit bashing cool blood angels with jump packs for shit like captains, librarians, chaplains, command squads (RIP) and so on.
>>
>>53718368
Man i hate doing that. never liked allies and i didn't like the 'crutch' of needing my GSC to have a shot at winning with my Tyranids, so i went full Stealer cult

Well, any idea what Tyranid units help stealers in 8th? i guess a Mawloc or Trygon would be nice
>>53718443
>>53718452
I am lacking on mining lasers, i might get the Goliath truck with the heavy laser, it's a nice model
>>
So when selling off an army would you prefer to split it up into sensible bits (individual units or at least similar units) or just keep it all bundled together?

I'm looking at selling off my Tau and before you jump me this is an army I started when the blue slot-heads first released. I don't even own a riptide or stormsurge. They're mostly unpainted as my focus always remained with my Chaos minis and it seems silly to keep them when they've been sitting around in boxes for so long. I like their look, but I know I'm never going to get around to them.
>>
>>53718354
Overwatch is pretty much objectively worse.

Also, hypnosis buddy. And Neophyte Flamer Shotgun Squads. Drop in 9", advance, and light em up.
>>
File: IMG_20170609_181606.jpg (100KB, 661x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170609_181606.jpg
100KB, 661x640px
Got my $35 Voidraven in today. She's mostly looking pretty good. There's a quick spray coat on it (which makes me want to drop the dosh on an airgun fuck), though the underside is still white. Unfortunately, the guy didn't file down the sprue connections before painting, so I gotta do that and hope I can match the color. Seriously, who owns an airgun and doesn't smooth out the edges before painting? On that note, he also so rested the canopy, so I gotta decide how to handle that.

All the weapons are magnetized including the bomb. Unfortunately, this dude couldn't into magnets. They're not straight. Hell, they're not even drilled, though that makes fixing them that much easier.

All in all, not bad for $35.
>>
>>53718473
I'd bet on 101+.
>>
File: IMG_4322.jpg (2MB, 3497x3431px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4322.jpg
2MB, 3497x3431px
>>53718410
>Spend 6 hours assembling one infantry unit, joy slowly draining from me
I wanna ask how but I don't wanna know.
>Try to paint using the techniques I saw in all the youtube guides
>looks terrible, took forever, only one painted so far
Your first mini is ALWAYS going to look like shit. You'll improve over time. Even Duncan's first mini looked fucking awful. Pic very related.
>>
>>53718459
No if only find the damn MBT bit so I could switch it out with the Vanquisher bit I have on now. Until Forge World makes them good again.

Can Russes still be okay without sponsons?
>>
>>53718420
The only part of the hobby I engage in is theorycrafting because I've got two unassembled partially painted models and ton of paints, brushers, and sprues.
>>
>>53718468
I've got dysgraphea.
>>
>>53718452
Do chimeras still work well in 8th? I've been hesitant about including them.
>>
>>53718502
You can't move or advance after most deep strikes. Is that a GSC thing?
>>
>>53718479
I only got one 6 and my abberents were blown apart by Tau fire. He had a stack of Fire-warriors and 2 broadsides all near each other
>>53718502
Can you advance after setting up via ambush? i thought it ate all movement. Or do you just mean get into position for the next turn?
>>
>>53718492
Take stealers. Nid stealers are identical to Purestrains but cost 8 points les per model.
>>
File: 1430075515026.gif (439KB, 560x560px) Image search: [Google]
1430075515026.gif
439KB, 560x560px
I've been out of the loop for a bit and have a couple of questions that have probably been answered a dozen times before, but could someone tell me exactly how flying has changed from 7th and how the Swarmlord's ability works? I'm trying to get back into Tyranids, but don't know if I should be using a flyrant anymore.
>>
>>53718128
>Yfw da stoopidist panzees get krumped by some right 'uge Boyz
Git Green'd ya gitz.
>>
>>53718410
When I first started playing I was eager to get onto the tabletop so I assembled and painted terribly creating a complete mess of an army. Now, years later, I'm getting back into it for 8th like you are but I'm focusing more on the hobby side of it. There's nothing wrong with not enjoying the hands on side of things, but it's good to make a good go at it now as you might change your mind later in the hobby.

I spent 5 hours painting one Space Marine today.
>>
>>53718163
Neither? Big Gunz, I take 6 Lobbas, 6d6 S5 hits is pretty alright.
>>
>>53718207
This reminds me of a story at our last tournament.

>tourney rules quite clearly state you must either write-out or print-out your army list
>10 year old, owns two smart phones, ipad
>puts his three Dreadknight GK army on board
>tournament is only 2k yet has 3 Dreadknights
>his first match is me
>im suspicious
>hey can i see your list
>LOL NO FAGGOT
>actually shouted faggot loudly
>slurps his large coke from mcdonalds
>do rough maths in head
>call over staff member
>wont let me see his list
>kid slurps his coke, dribbles it down chubby little chin
>staff member: boris wheres your army list
>giggles
>boris wheres your army list i need to see it
>staff member obviously just did the math in his head too
>kid suddenly gets really huffy and puffs his massive fatty dicksucking lips out
>HMMMMMMMMMNNNGH ARE YOU CALLING ME A CHEATER
>screeches the word cheater so loud half the room flinches
>staff member tells him he either needs to show him his army list or get disqualified
>kid stamps his feet and screeches, drops his coke and spills it everywhere
>staff member looks dead inside
>finally kid gets over his tard rage when he's threatened to get kicked out of the shop for the hundredth time
>pulls his disgusting looking ipad (its a white one and yet it looks almost brown its so covered in stains and shit
>it wont even turn on
>kid slaps the fucking thing with his sticky coke-covered chubby little hands like a fucking mongoloid
>drags his sticky palm down it after he fucking licked it
>ipad unlocks
>spends a good three and a half minutes looking for his army list on ipad
>finally finds it
>>
>>53718224

I think Arkhan Land had that going on, even had the whole "the Emperor is perfect and not a machine-man, so I can be too" line
>>
>>53718357
Missile Launchers are ok. Grenade Launchers? Not so much.
>>
>>53718354
Don't forget Mass Hypnosis
>>
is it just me or are inceptor squads bad?
>>
>>53718528
They are much tankier and are better at transporting from pint a to point b with the new rules, but they lost their utility of being able to fire special weapons out of the hatch. As had that wasn't really a bug issue, I use them as cover and fire support, but goliath are objectively better in every way
>>
>>53718480
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/16rftxw95qq06tk/AABCXAE3BVNls3GJaCpX_Kdaa?dl=0
>>
>>53718410
>6 hours
Im in the same boat as you but the first unit I put together took less than an hour and thats including unboxing everything kicking my cat away like 3 times and having the worlds shakiest hands.

Do you have parkinsons?
>>
>>53718604
What was on the list?
>>
>>53718550
Both. Obviously if you roll a 5+ then they can roast immediately, but if not then stay flexible. A flamer/shotgun squad is 69 points, ld8. They'll survive most battleshock tests and they're not enough to waste a huge amount of firepower on.
>>
>>53718571
that ork is gonna run out of dakka after firing for like, 3 seconds.
>>
>>53718604
>its built using a list-building app
>except he opened it in gallery and it's obviously been painted over using his ipad's paint app
>points values are obviously fucking written over using the spraypaint tool i shit you not
>holds it up as if its the fucking glove in the OJ case
>if the points all fit you must acquit
>staff member has thousand mile stare at this point
>hands him the ipad and tells him to get the fuck out
>kid flips the table in tard rage
>staff member calls police
>kid goes on a rampage around the store screeching, two guys hold him down
>he shits himself
>police arrive and tell the guys they have to get off him or theyll be arrested
>as soon as they get up he grabs a cleaning knife off of the table and tries to stab one of them
>police tackle the kid to the fucking floor
>screeching and shitting
>they try to get the knife out of his hands and he winds up cutting his own finger
>starts screaming as if hes being killed
>screams the police stabbed him
>screams we tried to kill him
>his mum shows up
>his mum is so fat she has to come in the door sideways
>she asks whats going on and sees her son on the floor under police covered in shit
>mum attacks the police
>police have to arrest mother
>they physically cant get her out of the door with her hands behind her back, she doesn't fucking fit
>kid keeps kicking everything and the entire fucking shop reeks of shit

That's the image I associate with the kind of people who are so lazy they can't do basic math and lift a pencil and have to use list building programs.
>>
>>53718610
except grenade launchers are 5 points and assault.
and while heavy bolters are probably better for the points, their availability is different.
>>
>>53718410

I hate assembling. So, so, so damn much. I enjoy painting but it's kind of a take or leave for me. I kind of learned to enjoy it I guess.

Give it another unit or two, don't stress out about perfection, and spend a lot of time painting at the game store where you can hang out with people and chat while you work. Or go to a company to do it for you, people would prefer that over an unpainted army.
>>
>>53718604
>>53718657
Cool story bro
>>
>>53718654
>Not firing all of your Dakka to then beat someone with the gun
MUCKIN' ABOUT
>>
>Theres no way to take rifleman Helbrutes

I get that the point was probably to make Brutes more of a close support/melee unit compared to conventional dreads, but the fact that Reaper autocannons still suffer that penalty to hit while having shorter range than loyalists just sucks.
>>
I'm surprised by how efficiently Knights can deal with hordes, with Titanic Feet. Sadly less useful against MSU light infantry. Has anyone tried a full Knight list in 8e yet? I remember seeing one or two thrown around earlier.
>>
>>53718645
Thanks. I love cute spreadsheets.
>>
>>53718657
We had as aspie who had unlimited NEET bucks that spent them all at the shop but never primed anything he painted enough for them to be anything other than brush streak covered shit fests. He would sperg out to himself in the corner and take huge smelly shits in the bathroom the kind GW store operator let us use because we were bros. He would beg us to play him to keep him occupied. It was torture.
>>
>>53718648
Something along the lines of (it was hard to actually read the screen and also years ago).

Draigo
Grand Master
3 Dreadknights
10 Paladins
4 Strike Squads
Plus a few other things? It wasn't ridiculously over, but it was also obviously more than 2k and he somehow thought he'd get away with it.
>>
ahahaha this retard ordered a bunch of recasted shit for Tzeentch daemons and is selling it off now it is no longer op.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=1344969676
>>
>>53718550
That would be a problem. Though 5 and 6 are usually good enough, and a 4 has a chance. And remember that if he "Greater Goods" at a target the helping units cannot overwatch again at ALL that turn. Basically you need several targets to get close if he castles up like that, then you want to mass hypnosis the most dangerous unit.
>>
>>53718492
I prefer the flamer over the laser on the truck, the laser only comes on the rockgrinder, and you're gonna want to get that as close as possible to use the drill, which makes the flamer more consistently useful since you can advance and use it reliably. Tryon offers you little since it only brings out hivefleet infantry units, not GSC units. I'd bring a mawloc or some kind of heavy dakka support like an exocrine or a tyrannofex. You could also bring zoanthropws for smite support or the ability to make your units advance and charge, or get the new fnp. Then there's deathleaper for character sniping... lots if options to choose from
>>
>>53718692
Yeah well your butcher autocannon gets 8 shots to our 4 for exterminator autocannon.
>>
>>53718534
On a 6 you move as normal, on a 5 you get an extra round of shooting or move d6 inches, your choice.
>>
So basically now that HWS are cheap, you can afford to specialise into HB and LC, making autocannon squads not as good right?
>>
>>53718762
You guys don't have to rely on that do you? I hate fishing for sixes. Is there some way to modify the roll?
>>
File: Prateorians.1.jpg (54KB, 516x708px) Image search: [Google]
Prateorians.1.jpg
54KB, 516x708px
So in 8th edition, are the Triarch Praetorians worth taking? They're expensive as fuck, but love their fluff and have wanted to run the space skellington police since 5th
>>
>>53718770
Yes. LC in Infantry Squads. HB(or mortars) in HW Squads.
>>
>>53718770
Autocannons still have their preferred targets, so it's not like there's no reason to take them.
>>
does anyone have the link to that Google drive page of anon calculating tau's ability to hit?
>>
>>53718770
Autocannons are just kinda bad period. Not enough damage to deal with big stuff, not enough shots to deal with little stuff, and not enough AP to reliably threaten either.
>>
>>53718550
For things like tau you need to either absorb overwatch with your transports or abuse the shit out of mass hypnosis. Softening up things with shooting certainly doesn't hurt either, don't underestimate how effective a unit of 20 neophytes can be in shooting
>>
>>53718797
You can get rerolls from the primus.
>>
>>53718797
But anon randomness is FUN!

More random rules more fun! Less reliable things make the game more cinematic!
>>
>>53718809
It's the bottom link of the OP, and it has several other factions. I'm actively working on it.
>>
>>53718830
Danke, I didnt see it
>>
So I've got my Eldar/Dark Eldar/Harlequins up and running for 8th but I'm trying to decide on a new army project for 8th.

Right now I'm thinking about possibly Grey Knights or AdMech.
>>
File: image.jpg (103KB, 546x658px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103KB, 546x658px
>>53718657

Fucking hell anon. Why the fuck did the kid shit himself? Hope in his table flipping rampage he didn't break your models.
>>
>>53718107
why do they give fists exemplar so much attention in art instead of actually cool chapters? soul dinkers were a lot cooler and looked better until they went full retard
>>
>>53718193
What's the point of the paladin ancient?

you're paying 140pts for a +1 attack aura when you could have taken a 2nd apothecary instead and healed more units a turn and still had points left over.
>>
>>53718770
>>53718808
Autocannons are like plasma if plasma was long range, expensive, and bad.
>>
>>53718804
I'm kinda on the fence about them. They don't seem to have a target they're really effective against.
>>
>>53718841
Luckily I play Orks, our models are robust :^)

In all seriousness it took a few days to get the kans back together, they were all metal back then.
>>
>>53718808
Autocannons are bad. If you want something that's good against light vehicles and infantry you're better off with a missile launcher. See >>53718255
>>
>>53718828
Reliable CA is pure cancer. And even 1 and 2 on the CA table isn't too horrible.
>>
>>53718797
Prius grants a free reroll to the unit he comes in with. Results 3 and 4 are basically the old infiltrate. Thanks to new transport rules and increased durability we don't need it as much now. Crazy move speed on stealers and access to advance and charge rules help a great deal too, its not as bad as you might think.
>>
>>53718871
You mean the more expensive gun is better? imagine that.
>>
>>53718846
With 8 dudes and a Land Raider, you'd need all the attacks you can get, m8.
>>
>>53718882
CA? Cock Assault?
>>
>>53718770
With how cheap they are I'm going to use all the bits in the box. A couple extra bases and you've got one of each heavy weapon choice.
>>
>>53718701

>I'm surprised by how efficiently Knights can deal with hordes, with Titanic Feet.

lmao
knights get raped by hordes
>>
>>53718908
Cult Ambush
>>
Do named characters already have the cost of wargear in the points cost? I'm searching for named wargear's cost and I couldnt find it.

If this is yes, does it include all wargear (named and generic stuff, such as a bolt pistol?)
>>
>>53718602

I thought Lobbas were technically Mek Gunz too?
>>
>>53718817
Mmh, i might invest in a box of the official cultists and go for the shotgun / flame unit. that sounds cool as hell and cheap too
>>
>>53718870

Ooh I remmember them, broke one and could never get the stubby little legs to glue back on.

Story gave me a good laugh. Hope 8th brings the orkoids back on form. Not played since .... Well around the time kanns were metal
>>
>>53718843
Better question, why does Chaos get so little art in which it isn't getting it's ass kicked by Imperials?
>>
>>53718917
Some do, some don't.
>>
>>53718902
With 8 dudes and a land raider you're only going to get so many models into combat with you a turn.

You're going to want to keep as many wounds and models as possible.

Now that apothecary can straight up fucking resurrect models in addition to guaranteed wound regen they're fucking amazing.
>>
>>53718911

Thats why you have troops.
>>
>>53718917
Yes. They're always listed in a separate section they that sectioned says they include their wargear.
>>
>>53718923
They separated them out again. Big gunz have less of a gunner tax.
>>
>>53718836
Np, glad that it's getting some use
>>
>>53718940
Which also get raped by hordes.
>>
>>53718410
Almost everyone feels that way at first anon. Everyone's first mini is always shit. But if you persevere you'll get better, and there's nothing quite as satisfying as laying out any army of beautifully-painted models that you did yourself.
>>
>no more "wargear" read powers, for daemons.

Why?

It was fun, flavorful, and added character to the daemon character units. Now Every single bloodthirster is one of the 3, every single herald is the same, etc.
>>
>>53718604
>>53718657
literal subhuman culling when
>>
>>53718925
The official neophyte box is by far my favorite kit, I highly recommend it
>>
File: HWT.png (45KB, 818x347px) Image search: [Google]
HWT.png
45KB, 818x347px
>>53718147
>>53718255

Pretty good as take all comers.
Surprisingly the mortar is one of the least effective weapons, makes up for it by not requiring LOS.
>>
>>53718925
Yeah, for 64 points you get a decent little unit. Reroll 1s in CC too.
>>
>>53718473
Cawl IS the mechanicus.
>>
>>53718959

Codex, not Index.
>>
>>53718955
Unless you are me.

I've gotten worst as the time pass by
>>
>>53718939
Tbqh it's more of a fun meme list than anything. I'm sure the Apothecary would be better than the Ancient, but giving everyone +1A seems like a good thing to have, since they're going to be outnumbered they might as well fight their hardest to not lose any models.
>>
>>53718949

Thats the point.
>>
>>53718657
should have poured liquid glue into his case like that other guy did.
>>
>>53718940

Enjoy watching your troops get swarmed by hundreds of 3 point models.
Also top kek at the fact that you need to protect giant mech suits from dogshit infantry with no AT in 8th edition.
>>
>>53718980
while i wouldnt do that, i dont judge the guy who did

some people fucking deserve it
>>
>>53718986
>conscripts are mathematically provably the best point-for-point infantry choice in the game
>>
>>53718986
>he puts his knight on the table
>for the same point cost I can buy like idk 10 3 man HWS?
>Can your knight fight against 30 Lascannons? I don't fucking think so

kek
>>
>>53718986

How is this different from chucking nades in 7th (before they FAQ'd it out of the game)? If vehicles didn't need troop protection, then you people would be bitching about vehicles being OP.

>>53719005

Looking forward to Astra Militarum dominating in the upcoming Konor campaign.
>>
>>53719005
Where's the math?
>>
>>53719005
I love it, but I'm not keen on painting another 150 cadians.
>>
>>53718986
That's why knights should be run as an auxiliary army, not a standalone.
>>
Going to be playing 100 power against an ork friend of mine wednesday. My Dynasty has a mirror theme going on to it, so I try to keep units in 2s, to represent the Twin Phaerons. How's this look?

Overlord: 7
Overlord: 7
Cryptek: 6
Cryptek: 6

20 Warriors: 12
20 Warriors: 12
10 Immortals: 8
10 Immortals: 8

Annihilation Barge: 7
Annihilation Barge: 7

Doom Scythe: 10
Doom Scythe: 10

100 Power on the nose, 6 Command Points.
>>
>>53719005

2pt 4+inv demons care to disagree
>>
>>53719026

>8th ed
>still can't do the math by himself

fuck you people
>>
>>53719005
>tfw have to make movement trays work for round bases now that blasts are no longer a thing
>>
>>53718657
the first part was believable

this is just stdh.txt
>>
>>53719046

Grey Knights auxiliary can deal with that
>>
>>53719047
Hey man, this is 4chan. don't set the bar too high.
>>
>>53718410
Consider playing 40k on Tabletop Simulator or Vassal40k if you really can't stand the painting and modeling side of things.
>>
>>53719023

>How is this different from chucking nades in 7th (before they FAQ'd it out of the game)?
Because one involves using specialist weapons at close range to presumably hit a vehicle in vulnerable areas, and the other involved drowning them in dirt cheap lasgunfire because lol everything wounds on a 6 now
>>
>>53719047
I'm just asking for you to copy/paste it.

My initial guess is that the morale rules would fuck conscripts over.
>>
>>53718925
The two strategies I've come up with (not tested yet, don't have the models required) for getting Round the 50% units on the board are to create a separate detachment of pyramids or AM for heavy dakka support (relatively durable monsters or vehicles, drives up the total # of units in your list, gives high-strenght ranged attacks or useful pyramid payer spells), or to use goliath trucks to carry kitted out neophytes to protect them while spitting out decent dakka at mid-range while being more durable.
>>
>>53719027

People still model Cadians? I would just get a bunch of Tempestus troops, spray paint them red, douse them in wash, paint the weapons and visors, and call it a day as that Hydra regiment that belongs in the Ultramar region.
>>
>>53719052
theres a guy on ebay who makes some good ones, MDF/Plastic options, select how many columns/rows you want, theres an option for literally base to base movement trays or separated ones

i got some, they're pretty good, the open order ones i prefer because it's alot easier to get 40k models to fit on it. most models extend past their base and so they don't cooperate well when it comes to stacking them base to base.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Open-Order-Movement-Tray-25mm-round-bases-/201835476286?var=&hash=item2efe54f53e:m:mqOrNn1KAYbjJcECxKjRS6g
>>
File: evil-887.jpg (4KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
evil-887.jpg
4KB, 184x184px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HChwSZpOrwg
>Slaanesh's Damnation: The Musical

Come and join the anthem.
>>
>>53719030

But there's the same problem with all superheavies.
Baneblades get raped by conscripts just as easily.
And conscripts literally out shoot every other infantry in the game, except guard mortar teams and maybe a couple others.
>>
>>53719092
>Buying 200 Tempustus

My fucking wallet jesus christ. At least there is fuckloads of cheap cadians on the net.
>>
>>53719081
They will, but commissars are dirt cheap.

The best strategy atm is to send wave after wave of conscripts to their deaths, with Commissars standing behind them meaningully cleaning their bolt pistols.
>>
>>53719073

If you can kill a knight with Chaos cultists on consistent rolls of 6s over 5 turns then I hope you make batrep videos and put them on your youtube channel for full hilarity.
>>
>>53718804
Trying for a casual 2k list, but I'm not sure it has enough punch even for casual

1 Anrakyr the Traveller
1 Catacomb Command Barge w/ Gauss Cannon
1 Cryptek
20 Necron Warriors
20 Necron Warriors
10 Triarch Praetorians w/ Rod of Covenant
1 Triarch Stalker w/ Heat Ray
1 Ghost Ark
1 Monolith
>>
>>53719045
How do you get command points if yo aren't battle-forged? Here's mine BTW.

Necron Army 1,977 (99) CP 5

Supreme Command Detachment CP 1

HQ (3) 327 (17)
Cryptek 86, Staff of Light 18 104 (6)
Cryptek 86, Staff of Light 18 104 (6)
Lord 73, Resurrection Orb 35, Warscythe 11 119 (5)

Outrider Detachment CP 1

HQ (1) 119 (5)
Lord 73, Resurrection Orb 35, Warscythe 11 119 (5)

Troops (2) 340 (24)
Immortals (10), Gauss Blaster (10) 90 170 (8)
Immortals (10), Gauss Blaster (10) 90 170 (8)

Fast Attack (3) 1,017 (45)
Canoptek Wraiths (6) 228, Particle Caster (6) 24 252 (12)
Destroyers (6) 258, Gauss Cannon (6) 120 378 (18)
Tomb Blades (9) 216, Nebuloscope (9) 27, Particle Beamer (9) 90, Shieldvanes (9) 54 387 (15)

Dedicated Transports (1) 174 (8)
Night Scythe 174 (8)
>>
>>53719085
Could you just take a separate detachment for Tyranids, spam Spore mines/Rippers and just have that fill out the unit cap?

at least they can both deep strike and join in the fight
>>
>>53719026
There's basic stats for Guardsmen/Conscripts in the WIP math doc, bottom link of OP.
>>
>>53719081

>morale mattering
>when you can buy commissars for so cheap, that a vindicare could shoot at them for 6 turns in a row and not even make his points back
lmao
>>
>>53719124
>How do you get command points if yo aren't battle-forged? Here's mine BTW.
You cant play matched play if youre not battle forged
>>
>>53719109
>Not running the banehammer loaded to the gills with heavy weapons teams shooting out of it

do you want to win or not?
>>
>>53719124
How is that not battleforged? It fits perfectly in a Battalion; 4 HQ, 4 Troops work just fine there.

Also, such odd formatting you have; is that from a list builder of some kind?
>>
>>53719073
>5 to hit, 6 to wound, 3+ save
1/3X1/6X1/3= 1/54.
okay, I'm just throwing this out there, but I'm pretty sure you can get things putting out more than 1/54 wound per point.
Oh wait, this is assuming FRFSRF and 12", because getting into range is a thing all these mathhammer ignores all the time. But it is 2pts so, 1/27 wound per point per turn.
Still pretty sure I can find better.
>>
>>53719109
Look, how many people do you know have 150+ conscripts?
>>
>>53719005
Gun Drones put out roughly as much dakka-per-point
>>
>>53719141
My bad. I didn't catch that it fit a battalion. Aren't they max 3 HQs? Not gonna bust out the pdf for that.

That's just how I type stuff out.
>>
>>53719127
You have to choose between taking guard or tyranids, you can't have both.
>>
>>53719124
> Tomb Blades with particle beamers
> 8th edition

I'm curious as to your reason for this choice. Do you really think they'll pull their weight?

The Wraiths I already don't agree with, but I know it's a personal choice.
>>
>haha yes, my 500 conscripts will win this for sure
>hit on 6+, wound on 6+, every enemy model gets saves on 2+
>oh no!
>>
>>53719191
I know, i will be going for Tyranids if i do ally them in
>>
>>53718410
>6 hours assembling

Are you some kind of retard? (no offense intended)

I just spent 4 weeks painting 5 wolf scouts for armageddon; I'm gonna jump into 8th tomorrow but I know it's gonna take me ages. (I work 48 hours a week and have to balance days off between sport/girlfriend/child/hobby)

I timed myself today painting a wolf scout after the prime had dried. 5 hours! It looks sweet but fucking hell....
>>
>>53719197

Magnus please.
>>
File: knight vs conscripts diagram 2.png (104KB, 1595x909px) Image search: [Google]
knight vs conscripts diagram 2.png
104KB, 1595x909px
>>53719109
>>53719030
>>53719005
>>53719011
>>53719023
>>53719005
>>53719023
>>53719026
>>53719027
>>53719046
>>53719052
With a commissar, priest and officer nearby, a 50 man squad of conscripts (which only costs 150 points, plus 85 for the three special characters) has up to 4 shots per model, up to 4 attacks in combat, is unbreakable and loses a maximum of one model per morale test, and gets to reroll hit dice in it's first combat phase, whether it charged or gets charged.

Keep in mind you only need one 30 point officer for every two Conscript squads, and one Commissar or Priest could easily fit two squads into their bubbles. So 300+85= 385 points for 100 conscripts plus 3 characters which can pump out 400 lasgun shots, 400 attacks (with rerolls first combat phase) and can never lose more than 2 models a turn to morale.

This, when compared to every single other infantry choice in the game, is such an effective force multiplier that, for example, Ork Boys will lose in close combat versus them if you go by points killed vs points lost. Ork shoota Boys will be out shot by them. Conscripts are officially better Orks than Orks.
>>
>>53719109
I bet a Stormlord carrying HB teams could do pretty well.
>>
>>53719171

Considering the fact that you can buy them for about $1.50 each, we'll probably all know a lot soon.
>>
>>53719194
Thats all WYSISYG. I love tomb blade for being tomb blades. I think ignoring the opponent's bonus from cover will be nice. Also hordes.
>>
>>53719127
You could, but to me that seems like a cheeky useless waste if points. We already have great melee, what we need is high strength long range dakka, which either nids or AM can provide, not to mention great centrepiece models (which is important to me). If all you want is cheap unit spam why not spam scout sentinels as outsider detachment with either autocannons is missile launchers? That 9" move and the scout rule grant a ridiculous turn 1 threat bubble.
>>
>>53719185
Don't have to bust out the PDF; the basic ones are still up on Warhammer Community.

It does, however, turn out you're correct. So, drop out one of the Crypteks, and I'm not sure what to replace it with, especially keeping the duality theme. Suggestions?
>>
>>53719144
I mean stormlord fuck

>10 Lascannon teams shooting off the deck
>4 Lascannons
>5 Twin heavy bolters
>twin heavy stubbers
>Heavy 20 Vulcan mega bolter

DAKKA
A
K
K
A
>>
>>53719144

I'm now laughing at the mental image of hundreds of conscripts running at a banehammer, as mortar teams shoot from it
>>
>>53719227
zealot is not an aura buff. it only applies to the priest
>>
>>53719227

This is pure mathhammer though, as this entire scheme relies on a flat open battlefield. How many models can you jam onto the side of a table?
>>
>>53719194
Also what about the wraiths? They move fast and will hold down a unit then move back and fire their pistols. I have some other stuff I could use. Two barges for example?
>>
>>53719235
most effective anti horde unit is a taurox prime, followed by a punisher russ

stormlord is extensively overpointed
>>
>>53719227
>ds can hit the rear officers.
>snipers make mincemeat.
oh, and do the math with meltavets and do point cost and average damage. I'm sure you can do it.
>>
>>53718812
Autocannons are great for dealing with terminators. Wound them on 3+, invul saves so AP -1 is all you can get anyways, and it will kill a terminator with each unsaved wound. I don't think they will be the go to heavy weapon like they used to, but that is a good thing.
>>
>>53719238
If someone wants to spend $75 per 150 point squad, all the power to them.
>>
>>53719255

The funny thing is,
that probably still loses to conscripts.
>>
>>53718206
does nobody reply to nid lists anymore?
>>
>>53719247
Do what I did and take a command detachment to mimic your old royal court.
>>
File: Battalion.jpg (121KB, 1200x533px) Image search: [Google]
Battalion.jpg
121KB, 1200x533px
>>53719185
>>53719247
I'm thinking a full squad of Canoptek Scarabs. They give me a way to reach objectives quickly and with w3, they can hold the line fairly well. Nothing pisses Orks off worse than having to go around a unit instead of through it.
>>
>>53719272
We were talking about superheavies friend.
>>
>>53719287
What would I drop out to get the extra 1 or 2 Lords?
>>
>>53719258
Holy crap you might be right. I just re-read the entry and that might put Conscripts a little lower down the list.

Ah well, even their +1 attack is still a huge boon, given the fix bayonets order. Rerolling hits was giving Conscripts a real edge but without it they might be knocked down back to 2nd or 3rd.
>>
>>53719289
Surprisingly, I don't own a single scarab. My necrons are what you see there plus two barges, fifteen warriors, and an unfinished busted ass d lord.
>>
>>53718962
I can't believe they balanced shit out. The trend is clear.
>>
>>53719227
Now do it for melee conscripts.
>>
>>53719313
I was talking about for my list.

Annihilation Barges look like the tits now. I'd suggest using them. But I'm looking for advice too.
>>
Are you supposed to measure distance from the middle of the base or from the edge closest to the direction you want to go?
>>
>>53719227
This also isn't a picture of an actual army. It was answering a different question, so that's a little misleading. The conscripts alone are 3750 points.
>>
>>53719307
YOu don't need to drop anything. Three of those HQs go over to the supreme command on one stays in the battalion.
>>
>>53717075
>>53717501
This reminded me of a story.
(1/2)
>be me 14 years ago
>want to get my little brother into 40k
>write up two army lists, one for my orks, one for my guard, because he seems to like guard
>I'm really hoping he'll enjoy this so we can play, paint, and talk shop about army lists together
>take him to LGS to play his first ever game of 40k
>LGS is not a bad place, a little small at the time, but clean place, friendly staff, and great tables/terrain
>take my brother into one of the smaller side rooms with a table and terrain for mini wargames
>room has a door and I close it so we don't have to listen to the MtG players gibbering at each other in the big room
>set up our armies and start playing
>I'm walking him through the game, explaining each step as we go along, the typical stuff
>he seems to be enjoying himself, having fun, even a few laughs
>at one point he managed to hit one of my big mobs with 4 perfectly positioned flamers, one-shotting it
>we were both genuinely having a good time
>suddenly the door knob turns
>>
If you had a two weapons with identical damage stats except one was melee and the other was ranged (say, 24"), what would you say is the appropriate factor by which their point values should differ? I'd assume the ranged weapon should cost more due to being able to use it more safely/often, but by how much?
>>
>the conscript meme
Did you all just today start playing this game or something?

Max Guard platoons with missile launchers and commissars have always been the absolute pinnacle of list building since all the back to 3rd edition.

The only reason it never caught on is because no one wants to buy and paint hundreds of shitty catacha, then cadian, bodies.
>>
Coming back for 8th edition. Can any anon recommend a decent xeno army?
>>
>>53719273

>>ds can hit the rear officers.
Wrong. There will be too many models on the table to legally deepstrike anywhere but your own side of the table.

>snipers make mincemeat.
Nope. Vindicare takes at least 7 turns to even make back its point cost against commissars
Ratlings do better, but they're shorter range and much more vulnerable.
>>
>>53718657
Man, people have issues.
>>
>>53719335
Battalions are two minimum, see >>53719289
>>
>>53719325
>>53719335
>>
>>53719345
Necrons.
>>
>>53719338
(2/2)
>the door creaks open to reveal the most disgusting human being I have ever laid eyes on in my entire life
>matted, greasy hair, patchy neckbeard, pock-marked skin, crusty mouth, fingers stained with some kind of snack food flavor dust, wearing a ratty, food-stained hoodie, and so fat that even his eye lids were fat rolls
>think nothing of it at first, it wasn't unusual for someone to want to sneak a peek and watch your game at our LGS
>a couple seconds later, the smell that followed him into the room hit us
>the most fetid fucking disgusting rotten cheeseball fucking dead animal smelling fucking ancient mayo smelling ass stench that has ever existed punches us both in the face
>literally weapons grade levels of body odor, the likes of which I had never encountered before, and would never experience again
>smell is so unbearable that my face turned red, my eyes started to water, and I immediately felt like I was going to wretch
>my brother was looking at me with a pure, innocent kind of horror, like he had just lost the part of himself that still believed in Santa Claus
>this fat sack of human fucking garbage is hovering over the table, apparently completely unaware of the effects of his inhuman stink
>he surveyed the tabletop with his disgusting subhuman little eyes peering out from under the fat flaps on top of them
>he raised his stinking ham ball of a head and turned it towards me
>the creature split open its soda-stained lips to speak
>even his voice sounded fat as the spittle-flecked words groaned forth from the monster's gaping maw
>"My Shpashe Marinesh could totally poon your Orksh."
My brother ended up not getting into 40k.
>>
>>53719345
All armies are at least passable, from what we've seen. Pick whatever army has the combination of aesthetic, playstyle and lore you like best.
>>
>>53719338
>take my brother into one of the smaller side rooms with a table and terrain for mini wargames
>room has a door and I close
Was your little brother molested?

Because my bad
>>
>>53719341
>guard platoons
remember when those existed
>>
>>53719353

>>53719350

Now that we've caught up to each other, have any other suggestions?
>>
>>53719278

People will do way more than that to win tournaments
>>
>>53719361
And didn't exist before that. Shit changes.
>>
File: 1417237698907.gif (196KB, 80x160px) Image search: [Google]
1417237698907.gif
196KB, 80x160px
>>53719355
>>
>>53719350
Shit. I don't think you will be able to keep your duality theme then. I'm stumped. I'll mull it over for a bit and see what I can suggest.
>>
>>53719227

>30 point officer

Aren't they vulnerable to being hit by artillery and flyers?

Furthermore, aren't Conscripts kind of limited in what they can do?
>>
>>53719373
If it gets to that point conscripts become 4 or 5 points. Problem solved.
>>
File: NeedsMoDakka.jpg (173KB, 616x551px) Image search: [Google]
NeedsMoDakka.jpg
173KB, 616x551px
>Your girlfriend has been painting the odd model here and there to be part of your hobby time and asks if you would play a little 40k game with her so she can try it out.
>this happens

What do you do?
>>
>>53719348
>consider the effect on the commissar on the conscripts when talking about effectiveness, but when killing commissars only the commissars price is considered.
>forgets that at the point cost for those conscripts the table size increases.
>>
>>53719390

Welcome to Mathhammer, where the kill points don't matter.
>>
>>53719390
>vulnerable to being hit by artillery and flyers
What do you mean by this? They're characters, so as long as they're in the blob, the only thing that can hit them are snipers and non-smite psychic powers.
>>
>>53719397
I tell her to not be fucking retarded and git gud.
>>
>>53719390
>artillery
No

>flyers
Only with incompetent positioning.
>>
File: Macid.jpg (168KB, 482x482px) Image search: [Google]
Macid.jpg
168KB, 482x482px
>>53719227
Who owns this much guardsmen

Who the fuck wants to own this? or paint it? or to fight it?

I would refuse anyone who wanted to spend an hour unpacking this shit and setting it up, fuck that shit
>>
File: 1413441396639.png (279KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
1413441396639.png
279KB, 500x380px
>no robes to put over my new Primaris Dark Angels
FUCK
>>
>>53719415
>m o v e m e n t t r a y s
>m o n e y
>>
>>53719355
I thought Great Unclean Ones were supposed to be jolly.
>>
>>53719415
Someone made the very real point that trying to wrangle this many models and rolls very possibly runs into the time limit.
>>
>>53719397
Based on what I saw at my LGS, you sigh, shake your head, and let her make her mistakes. Don't be cruel like was seen there, just play it through and explain why she fucked up after.

Then put her against other players, and basically play for her, despite making the other player promise to go easy on her before the game started.
>>
What's the best way to assassinate commisars so I can start scaring the crap out of conscripts?
>>
>>53718268
They are still really good but they play a lot differently this edition. Most people before were getting by on mass MSU acolytes in the subterranean uprising formation - that playstyle is gone now. Can't do it anymore. If you were running the GSC gimmick lists that ambushed literally every single thing during deployment and fished for first turn charges you're going to do poorly now. Lrn2play.
>>
>>53719415
>Who owns this much guardsmen

Some people that been playing for a long time, I remember a local tourney around 4th-5th ed where a guard player had so many guardsmen in the table that he just swarmed the objectives and surrounded the vehicles he couldnt kill, they just couldnt kill all of them at the end of the game.
>>
>>53719442
Space Marine Scouts. Fill a troop slot, so you get more CP. Have 3+ to hit sniper rifles, and can hide better in cover against shooty armies.
>>
>>53719442
From what I've seen so far, most snipers will generally cost more than the commisars they kill over a game, and will generally take at least a couple turns to do it.
>>
>>53718563
They cost 6 points less per model at the cost of losing Cult Ambush.
>>
>>53719345

Elfdar.

The classic and best xeno army.
>>
>>53719439
That picture is crazy anyway. Less than half that many completely fill up a deployment zone. That said, I can absolutely see competitive Guard lists running 100-200 conscripts.
>>
>>53719404

Obviously english isn't your first language, but I'll try my best here.

>>consider the effect on the commissar on the conscripts when talking about effectiveness, but when killing commissars only the commissars price is considered.
You are laboring under some kind of mistake there.
The point I made was that snipers are not a cost effective solution to commissars.
Meaning that for every 100 points of snipers you take, you may only get 80 points worth of kills, meaning that as long as the conscripts bring at least as many points of commissars as you have snipers, you'll never win in that trade.

>forgets that at the point cost for those conscripts the table size increases.
Not sure what you're referring to, because 500 conscripts can easily fit into a standard 2,000 point army.
>>
So does ANYONE like the new primaris marines rules?

Hellblasters are good.

Commander is somewhere between bad and mediocre.

Inceptors are pretty good for deepstrike deleting hordes.

Intercessors are hot dogshit, overcosted, and utterly useless.

LT's and Ancients are overcosted compared to their normal astartes counterpart.

What the fuck happened? I thought GW normally did super overpowered rules to move their new kits and then nerfed them later. Who in their right mind is going to buy primaris models once they get their own kits outside the starter set?
>>
>>53719415
Anyone who's been playing Guardsmen longer than the band wagon has existed, and bought the models back when they were cheap.
>>
>>53719461
You've gotta figure that killing the commissar lets you kill far more points worth of conscripts.
>>
>>53718565
They're basically jump infantry with 16" move now. No more penalty to hit, no more jink, enemies can charge them, etc.

And yet they're still really, really good. I run melee ones for almost guaranteed first turn charges.
>>
File: conscripts.png (51KB, 2382x400px) Image search: [Google]
conscripts.png
51KB, 2382x400px
>>53719480
you can easily fit 700 conscripts into a standard deployment zone
>>
>>53719442
ratling, rangers, deathmarks, sniper drones.
>>
>>53719350
Got it. Just take the +1 one model -1 command point detachment. You'll be down one command point but fuck it. A 5 is fine too.
>>
>>53719442
there are no cost effective snipers apart from ratlings, and ratlings dont have the range to be effective snipers

conscripts are too cheap to be worth sniping
>>
>>53719361

I bet you my bottom dollar that guard will get platoons back in their codex and Conscripts will get nerfed to hell.

I think that the reason conscripts have so few restrictions in the index is they wanted for existing blob guard players to be able to use their armies but they wanted to keep the faction specific rules sections for each faction short so they didn't put the platoon rules in.
>>
>>53719457
This was still doable in 7th, just with tzeentch daemons. I wound up going against the weirdest fucking list in our going-away tourney:

> Shitload of Exalted Flamers
> Fateweaver
> Herald of Tzeentch
> 2-3 squads of Pink Horrors
> 2 squads of Blue Horrors
> Some other shit I don't remember

He used a Beam power off of Fateweaver to kill his own Pink Horrors and enhance his Blue Horror squad, with each kill giving him like 4 blues because of some relic.

He attached the Herald of Tzeentch to the back of the squad with the relic that makes their strength d6

The Grimoire gave them a plus to their invuln save.

You did not have enough killy to chew through that many blue horrors, and even if you did you had to kill them again in the form of Brimstone Horrors.
>>
>>53719472
Can't do it, they can't ally.

>>53719345
Legitimately, Orks. They are top tier.
>>
>>53719545
>Can't do it, they can't ally.
Why not? They all have the Aeldari faction keyword.
>>
>>53719495

All that does is encourage them to take more commissars.
And if you take more snipers to match them, you end up in a rapidly losing battle.
>>
>>53719483
>meaning that as long as the conscripts bring at least as many points of commissars as you have snipers, you'll never win in that trade.
then your ratio of commissar to conscripts gets thrown off.
When that happens you just kill the conscripts.

Of course this still labors under the false assumption that even against vehicles conscripts are the most cost effective offense (which the math for always uses officers and commissars but doesn't include in the point cost), and the flat empty table assumption.
>>
>>53719345
Nids.
>>
>>53719545

What do you mean they can't ally?
>>
>>53719532
I sincerely hope so. There's an 8th edition tournament coming up on the 15th, and out of the 32 players and out of those I personally know three people playing horde guard, not including myself, not including those I don't know.
>>
>>53719529
>and ratlings dont have the range to be effective snipers
They can deploy anywhere on the board 18" from an enemy. Just put them on rooftops overlooking objectives and wait for the conscript blob with its characters to try and move close enough to cap.
>>
>>53719513
Sniper drones would be my choice just for the range, but I think you'd really want a Marksman and a bunch of them, and even then I think you'd be looking at over 100 points to reliably kill a commissar quickly from a range where conscripts won't fuck you.

5 sniper drones at 48" and BS 3 would be 2.5 hits
>>
>>53719556
So what's the best strategy, in your opinion, to deal with conscript spam? Or is conscript spam just a meme that won't take off?
>>
>>53719495
The issue is that any conscript-spammer knows that their commissars are their one weakness, so they'll take plenty of extras. The following aren't real numbers, but the idea is that if it takes you 2 turns for a sniper to kill a commissar, but a sniper costs even 1.5 times as much, you are going to lose more than they are. By the point that you are literally running an army of snipers, you don't have anything else to actually capitalize on the commissar-less conscripts.
>>
>>53719345
Genestealer Cult, plays dramatically different from any other army.
>>
>>53719562
>>53719553

I read Taudar, sorry, I am traumatised by them.
>>
>>53718128
40k has proven that WW1-era strategy was basically the peak of military theory, where total commitment of manpower and industry was shown to be unbeatable and every development in war since has just been an attempt to avoid that level of horror and not because it was outdated.
>>
>>53718962
Nice! But personally, I prefer to see the points according to just the weapons, since I can take the weapons on tanks, troops, HWT's, veterans, and more.

But if you omit the BS multiplier, all those weapons should be equally effected anyways.
>>
>>53719580
Any group of models with twin-linked guns/good melee and a bit of armor. 300 shots doesn't matter much when they can't actually roll any wounds on you. Also, play LoS.
>>
>Fighting a million conscripts
>Drop down Mortarion
>implying he won't be able to cast Plague multiple times
>And no doubt have a plague aura that just kills people nearby
>And have crazy FNP/self healing to resist a million lasguns
>Remove them by the bucketful

This guy will be the answer

Believe in the Death Guard
>>
>>53719545
>Can't do it, they can't ally.
Craftworld, Dark Eldar, Harlies and Ynnari can all ally. Nids can ally with GSC and through them Guard. Orks, Tau and Necrons can't ally period.
>>
>>53719571
The problem is, see this image.
>>53719508
Even if you stick your Ratlings directly in the middle of the board, the Sniper Rifle's range is just too short now. The Guard player can keep their Commissars just out of range for a good two turns if they know how to deploy correctly. Even then, 50 points for 10 Ratlings, = 2.5 Commissars. They won't kill those 2 and a half Commissars in time for it to have been worth it. The Commissars only really have to survive to turn 3 to have made their points back in preventing morale-deaths.
>>
File: 1330366881820.jpg (28KB, 500x284px) Image search: [Google]
1330366881820.jpg
28KB, 500x284px
>>
>>53719556
>take more commissars.
>at 3 commissar per conscript unit (even at 50 man) that's almost doubling the cost of the conscripts. Then add in the officer for the order, who can also be sniped, so better double up there too.
Given that the conscript math depends on them being 3pts per model, when with support their at 5-6 pts per model effective, the battle is won.
>>
>>53719558

>then your ratio of commissar to conscripts gets thrown off.
And your army is full of nothing but snipers.

>When that happens you just kill the conscripts.
With what?

>Of course this still labors under the false assumption that even against vehicles conscripts are the most cost effective offense
Nobody is saying they're the most cost effective AT.
What they are saying is that they have so many wounds, the tanks can't do anything about them, as the conscripts blaze away with their lasguns, getting far more points in kills than they take.

>(which the math for always uses officers and commissars but doesn't include in the point cost),
I can point to 3 instances in this very thread where you're wrong.

>and the flat empty table assumption.
Your 6 buildings on a 6x4 board aren't drastically altering the game.
>>
>>53719484
They will almost certainly be getting either their own codex, or will at least be featured heavily in the Space Marines codex, and either way, we all know that SM and DG are getting their codices first.
I wouldn't be extremely surprised if they turn out to be better in their own book.
>>
>>53719615
Nids cannot ally with the guard. GSC alone can ally with the guard, but if you introduce nids to that, you're no longer obeying the faction keyword rules.
>>
>>53719612
Or just poxwalkers.
>>
Am I reading this right? The Deathstrike hits on a 4+, but is 1 use only AND requires a D6+Turn# > 5 to fire at all?

So of your average 10-11 hits only about 5 of them will hit. Everything else is just a waste of 155 points?

Why would anyone ever field one of these pieces of shit? They don't even look cool. At least GW could have gone for a more interesting "Scud Launcher" design, rather than the absolutely retarded, "manticore with 1 huge missile stuffed between a few tiny ones" look.
>>
>>53719618
take out one commissar and punish just what's no longer bubbled?
>>
>>53719513
>>53719442
I think Illic Nightspear might be a good choice, but even he requires a bit of luck. His rifle hits and wounds on 2s, and it ignores the Commisar's armor entirely. Then it does d3 damage, plus a mortal wound if you roll a 6+

Decent odds for one-shotting a commisar, and he only costs 88 points. If you also brought a squad of rangers to help clean up any that survive with 1 wound, I think you could be rather efficient.
>>
>>53719484
> What the fuck happened? I thought GW normally did super overpowered rules to move their new kits and then nerfed them later

This is a meme and incorrect. Last edition's starter was Chaos vs. Dark Angels, two dogshit armies minus Ravenwing.

Before that it was Space Marines and Orks, when the only army Marines had was rhino rush and there wasn't even a viable Ork army.

The trend continues back into the mists of history.
>>
>>53719612

>Poxwalkers regenerate numbers from kills

I suspect that Nurgle has an answer to Conscript spam, and it's Conscript spam that turns your opponent's Conscripts into Nurgle Conscripts. A few units that buff the Poxwalker hordes and suddenly you have very strong zombies that make more zombies. A Nurgle's "Big Hug" Army strategy, welcome your enemy's units into your own army.
>>
>>53719621

Are you actually so retarded that you think filling your army with so many snipers you can deal with their 10 commissars is actually a good idea?
Literally all you're doing is making your 2000v2000 point game into a 1400v1500 point game in favor of the conscripts
>>
Which faction seems best suited for an outrider detachment based army? Or is that detachment more so used to supplement the troop based detachments.
>>
>>53719647
see
>>53719581
>>
Haruspex seems well positioned to eat conscript based armies. A horde of conscripts is basically just a horde of health packs for it.
>>
>>53719637
Yup, Deathstrikes are a joke.
There's literally no reason to ever take one, unless you're playing a thematic/friendly game and just want to have a gimmick.
It's like the Shokk Attack Gun of the guard.
>>
>>53718410
Look up army painter techniques, as in the company 'army painter' and never bother with GW's system ever again.
>>
>>53719637
Because it used to be an apocalyptic blast of pure ridiculousness with unlimited range for a relatively cheap price. It was perfect. If they were going to keep any sort of blast template, this is the one they should've kept.
>>
>>53719484

Not really, I remember the 3rd Edition starter box set being incredibly 1 sided in favor of Space Marines even though the Dark Eldar were a brand new army.
>>
>>53719599
this, essentially, sums up the 8th edition meta
>>
>>53719624
He's more pointing out that if you bring this army to a tournament or a game it'll fall flat at some point. Either you bring too few commisars and someone who brought enough snipers to kill anything picks them off and wipes out the rest of your army with battleshock, or you bring too many and you end up facing someone who brought a normal list and a bunch of your commissars go to waste as he just rolls over your conscripts.
>>
>>53719451
Mechanized GSC went from "I just like the models man" to "you're retarded if this is not in your list in some fashion," I am so hyped for our codes. I'm curious what artifacts we will get, maybe something to bring back our ability to replenish models?
>>
>>53719581
> so they'll take plenty of extras.
then the conscripts stop being point effective.
>>
>>53719618
No one is going to fill their deployment zone with conscripts you fucking idiot. They'll run MAX 200 of them and I suspect it'll be less than that. You can deploy 18" away with a 36" range gun so they need to keep the officers more than 18" back from the front line as they conga line the cons forward, which means you maul the blob and they have to either take guys from the front, slowing their advance, or they take guys from the back, breaking the chain.
>>
>>53719705
ROCKGRINDERS GRIND THEIR FACES OFFFFF
>>
>>53719634
Wrong, the Brood Brothers rule lets you ignore all units with the Astra Militarum Keyword when selecting your army faction. You can legally run an army with one Detachment of Tyranids, one Detachment of GSC, and one Detachment of Astra Militarum, choosing Tyranids as your army Faction keyword.
>>
>>53719634
Incorrect. You include one detachment where they all include the Generstealer Cults keyword, Blood Brothers now say you can include an AM detachment. Note it doesn't say that you have to choose them as a GSC detachment for army purposes, just that they all have the GSC keyword. Then Blood Brothers says the AM detachment is IGNORED when choosing army faction. This means you can now choose a Tyranid detachment and run the entire army under the Tyranid keyword.
>>
>>53719684
It doesn't do even close to enough damage for its points. Haruspex is worthless vs conscripts.
>>
>>53719666
Are you seriously arguing that the Conscript player can see the future list of who he's playing and know exactly how many Commissars to bring?

If you bring 500 points worth of commisars then you lose to the guy with a normal 2000 point list, since now your 3 point conscripts are effectively 4 points, and you lose to the madman who brought 1000 points of snipers and 1000 points of anti-infantry because he was that scared of your list.
>>
>>53719714
see
>>53719569
I'm taking 500 Conscripts in my 2k list.

Most of the missions in this ass backwards edition are hold-the-objective. I am going to hold every objective, and no army is going to be equipped to kill 500 models in 5 turns.
>>
File: 1436805338385.png (28KB, 1162x850px) Image search: [Google]
1436805338385.png
28KB, 1162x850px
Getting into the hobby for the first time. Is making my Primaris army Dark Angels a smart idea? Fuck I love their lore.
>>
>>53719713
Do they? Even without buffs, Conscripts are one of the most points-efficient troops in the game (check the math-hammer chart). That doubles with things like FRFSR. Saturating them with commissars will reduce their efficiency, but it won't be enough to make it actually infeasible; they'll still have one of the best dakka-to-point ratios.
>>
>>53719704

>He's more pointing out that if you bring this army to a tournament or a game it'll fall flat at some point. Either you bring too few commisars and someone who brought enough snipers to kill anything picks them off
Maybe by turn 4 or 5.
Commissars having 3 wounds for only 30 points make them take a long time for even an equal point amount of snipers to kill.
If you bring twice as many points in vindicares as they do commissars, you'll probably kill all their commissars by turn 4.

>and wipes out the rest of your army with battleshock,
Even with battleshock, you'll STILL have a very hard time clearing off that many models.

>or you bring too many and you end up facing someone who brought a normal list and a bunch of your commissars go to waste as he just rolls over your conscripts.
lol
Conscripts are so points efficient that you could make a third of your army commissars and probably still win against anything but a hardcore super anti hoard list.
>>
>>53719761
Go for it man!
>>
>>53718410
>Does anyone else hate/merely tolerate it because they just like the game itself?
I don't know how anyone could enjoy Warhammer with this attitude. The game itself is incredibly mediocre.
>>
File: Skull Pilot laugh2.gif (292KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Skull Pilot laugh2.gif
292KB, 500x281px
All 4 assassins make an absolute mess of conscripts

>vindicare sniping out commisars
>Eversor knocking over 10+ conscripts a turn
>Callidus knocking over 10+ conscripts a turn
>Culexus knocking over 10+ conscripts a turn while laughing at their attempts to shoot him.

And that's only what, like 500 points? 1500 points left for other shit like punisher cannon leman russes ro taurox's, heavy bolter teams, ratlings, etc.
>>
>>53719713
You only need to take ~2 Commissars per 500 points before it would be completely point-ineffective for your opponent to try to match you in the sniper-vs-commissar arms race.
>>
>>53719666
>10 commisars
>300pts.
except without the commissar the conscripts die quickly to moral.
Hell you don't need to kill all the commissars all at once. Kill enough to isolate 1 unit of conscripts and all shooting is basically double effective against that unit.
So I only really need to be able to kill max 2 commissars in one turn.

If you have 10 commissars of 10 units of conscripts is not going to provide you the redundancy to protect against that. Once you start doubling up, conscripts aren't point effective.
>>
>>53719213
Definitely an exaggeration but it felt like it took forever.
>>
>Edge high-light your gun casing
What did Duncan mean by this?
>>
>>53719760
So what are you going to do about the armies that bumrush transports into the travel lanes and block you from moving within 3" of the objective? You won't kill them and you won't be able to get past them.
>>
File: 256567486153.jpg (19KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
256567486153.jpg
19KB, 500x375px
Post yfw all the conscript horde armies place bottom-tier in the tournament circuit and /tg/ turns out to be completely wrong about the meta yet again
>>
>>53719804
Hell, you don't even have to bother with transports most of the time. Most armies feature some deep strike capable unit that commisars have no hope of killing.
>>
>>53719759

>If you bring 500 points worth of commisars then you lose to the guy with a normal 2000 point list,
The thing is, you literally wont.

>since now your 3 point conscripts are effectively 4 points, and you lose to the madman who brought 1000 points of snipers and 1000 points of anti-infantry because he was that scared of your list.
Maybe if those 1000 points are mortar spam, maybe
Otherwise, you literally don't have enough damage to make a dent in them.
Your 2,000 point army becomes a 1,000 point army when the snipers are done shooting characters, because they're basically worthless agains conscripts.

You're obviously just upset that horde spam is a meta strategy, and think it shouldn't be,
so you're trying to come up with reasons to reach the conclusion you've chosen, instead of following reason to its natural conclusion.
>>
>>53719750
>>53719743
Okay, I can see how you'd interpret that rule that way, but also that's retarded as fuck, and it will most likely be changed for clarity.
>>
>>53719691
If they hadn't worded it so badly the ability to spread mortal wounds to units within 6" would've been nice.
>>
>>53719818
I assume tournaments wont allow negative CP armies honestly
>>
>>53719771
>need to kill all the commissars
why do you keep thinking this.
Kill 2, unit exposed, wipe unit.
Repeat.

And if models alone were enough, you'd be saying gretchen and brimstones were better because they're cheaper.

>Conscripts are so points efficient
point efficiency decreases sharply as backup support models increases.
point efficiency relies on math with stupid assumptions.
>>
>>53719818
It'd be pretty funny, considering there are probably at least 5 people buying up conscripts and painting them right now.
>>
>>53719818
They'll be top tier, but not these "lol500conscript" memelists the netlisting copycats are running. These clueless faggots hear good players say "conscripts are the most efficient unit in the game right now" and think that means they can win by just spamming nothing but conscripts. The good players know how to take a relatively ""small"" (still fuckhuge) core of conscripts and built the rest of the list around it to dominate, they'll shit all over these childish imitators who overdo it on bodies without the support elements.
>>
File: objectives.png (94KB, 462x252px) Image search: [Google]
objectives.png
94KB, 462x252px
>>53719804
It's been shown that the equivalent number of points of Conscripts can kill the majority of vehicles in 3-4 turns. That gives me a 5th turn to move onto the objectives.

Oh and also who cares because pic related.
>>
>>53719837
Why? Seems perfectly fluffy and intended to me.
>>
How good a purchase is a Cadian Defense Force to build on top of a Start Collecting box for a Guard army?
>>
>>53719796

Go do the math yourself if you don't believe us.
It's been done by many people many times.
You're just mad that conscript spam works because you want 8ed to be perfect.
It's not. Deal with it.
>>
>>53719826
You physically cannot deep strike onto the guard side of the board if every square inch is full of conscripts.
>>
>>53719790
>>53719790
>8 commissars.
killing 2 per turn will open up plenty of holes then.
so that's a 4 units of rangers. I pretty decent troop choice for eldar even if not expecting the conscript hoard.
>>
>>53719837
No it's entirely intentional. It's not a misinterpretation. The FLG playtesters even talk about this and how it was set up intentionally to work within the detachment limits of a standard game.
>>
>>53719860
It's fluffy that tyranids can ally with the cult.
It's fluffy that guardsmen raised on a planet can ally with their slightly purple hued brothers and sisters.

It is not fluffy that guardsmen will ally with a giant horde of monsters literally eating their family members right now.
>>
>>53719853
see
>>53719859
>>53719760

All you have to do is hold the objectives. You don't even have to kill enemies to win. The enemy physically cannot kill enough of you to take the objectives unless they take a specifically anti-conscript army, and that army wouldn't win any other matches.
>>
Because it seemed relevant, I added a Sniper-only page to the damage calc/cost-efficiency doc.

Why are sniper drones so shitty?
>>
>>53719891
Don't genestealer cults eventually reach a point where they can look pretty much the same as humans? I seem to remember a piece of fluff that they'll infiltrate a planets PDF to help stir shit when the hive fleet arrives. Hell, that's half the reason cults get some IG vehicles.
>>
>>53719461
Most snipers suck, but ten ratlings is 70 points, and can easily off a commissar every turn. Every sniper round is 2/3 hits, every hit is 2/3 wounds and 1/6 mortal wounds, which is 11/27 = 0.405 wounds per sniper rifle fired.

One ratling kills 0.136 commissars in a turn, which is 4.21 points of commissar; he makes back his points in 1.66 turns of shooting.

Rangers, on the other hand, are 20 points a piece, and take 4.75 turns to make back their points, by which time they'll be dead because they're terrible.
>>
>>53719891
The "Guardsmen" are subverted regiments full of genestealer cultists. And any Nid/Cult alliances are short lived anyway.
>>
>>53719789
325 points for a set of four
>>
>>53719886
Some armies are going to be able to combat this tactic, right enough. But the vast majority won't be able to. No army build is perfect, but the Conscript list is, on paper at least, the most viable army choice for tournaments right now because of how much the rules have been dumbed down.

Simpler rules means simpler ideas are more effective.
>>
>>53719851

Was about to reply when I got half way through your post and realized you haven;t even read the rules you're arguing.
Thanks for wasting my time with your retardation.
>>
>>53719922
>Why are sniper drones so shitty?
Did you account for the Marksman?
>>
>>53719859
Pic related only matters if you can get within 3" of the objective at all. They will bodyblock you with large vehicles and no, you won't kill your way through them in 3-4 turns because you will be losing models every turn to attrition and half your shit won't be able to shoot because it got charged and needs to fall back, and using the get back in the fight order means less FRFSRF

Conscripts are the best unit in the game right now, but you don't understand why that is, you're repeating what you heard smarter people tell you, so you won't be able to take advantage of that and you won't have the list built to properly support them. You might take games off of other idiots but you won't beat a top tourney player with only conscripts. Those guys are already discussing and have figured out how to counter this.
>>
>>53719834
>The thing is, you literally wont.

By that logic, 2000 points of normal guardsmen won't win against 1500 points of conscripts and 500 commissars.

If your Conscripts go up to the point where they're no longer effectively 3 points each, you've defeated the entire point of taking your list.

>Maybe if those 1000 points are mortar spam, maybe

Your assumptions on why Conscripts are unkillable rely on those Commisars to be alive, and against that many snipers and that much anti-horde, neither will be.

You're acting like those 1000 points of snipers are spliting their fire across all your commisars, instead of focusing on the ones in range of one blob, then burning that blob down with anti-horde before moving on to the next one.

>You're obviously just upset that horde spam is a meta strategy,

It's 'meta' in the sense that white room theorycrafting has pointed out that it's very efficient in a strict numbers sense. On an actual table or in an actual tournament? Good luck
>>
>>53719924

I was under the impression that they gave birth to them.
>>
>>53719926
see
>>53719618
>>
So, conscripts. The best counter for them I can think of is to concentrate all your firepower. Stuff five tauroxes and leman russes with dakka guns together, and support them with manticores and wyverns. Go straight down the middle of the conscripts to the objectives while killing the commissars for a blob with snipers. That blob disintegrates, you've just cleared off a section of the field, and its impossible for the conscripts to move into rapid fire range of your vehicles while also getting a FRSRF off since they can only get one order per turn. Since your opponent brought a shit ton of conscripts, he won't have anything capable of hurting you at range, so you just have to keep an 18 inch bubble clear around each dakka convoy.
Some super quick list building, take two stormlords, put ten ratlings in each, along with ten heavy bolters. Put two or three wyverns or dakka tauroxes with each one. Each one should be able to easily take out a squad or two of conscripts each turn.
Biggest problem I could see is conga lining onto objectives. Four or five rows of fifty conscripts each touching an objective, so with picking models you'd have to kill hundreds of conscripts for each objective.

Also, instead of nerfing conscripts, they could always buff blast. Make small blast 1d6 and large blast either 4+ 1d6 or 2d6, then make apopcalyptic blast 4d6. Make torrent weapons 3+1d6 autohit. Make it so that for every five models in a squad, one can throw a grenade. Give other factions access to high volume of fire guns. If you make conscripts 4 or 5 points and guardsmen 6 points it will just make guard be shit tier again.
>>
>>53718962
Mortars are about as good for hordes, point for point. They might be worse for meq, but they're better for geq.

Being able to shoot out of Los is pretty great too.
>>
toxicrenes vs Commisars?
>>
>>53719954

>By that logic, 2000 points of normal guardsmen won't win against 1500 points of conscripts and 500 commissars.
Correct.
I assumed the rest of your post was predicated on this, so I didn't bother reading any more.
>>
>>53719924
gen 7+ is indistinguishable from humans
>>
>>53719953
Commissars prevent attrition, and your Conscripts never need to fall back when they're one of the top tier close combat units in the game right now. They have 4 attacks each at 3 points.

Besides, that was only when you dedicated a points-equivalent of lasguns. If you focus-fired every lasgun in range at whatever was blocking your unit, you'd easily kill it in one turn, unless it was something ridiculous like a Baneblade or a Knight or something. But if your opponent has invested that many points into a single model, you can just walk around it.
>>
>>53719878
I have done the math.
Against vehicles, assuming 12" range and FRFSRF they are 1/40.5 wounds per model.
that's not counting the cost of the support characters.

as for killing them off, once the commissar is down you double all wound effectively.
so a swooping hawk kills 4 per turn without bonuses, so 12 pts per turn. that's a 17pt unit with plenty of utility.
>>
>>53719902
I'm the one who told you faggots that, fucking moron. You are parroting snippets of information without the full context because you didn't actually figure anything out, you're just repeating what you've heard.

Here's some more wisdom: it doesn't work if you run 500 conscripts without support elements.
>>
>>53719960
>Also, instead of nerfing conscripts, they could always buff blast.

This so hard.

Why the hell don't flamers and blasts do like an extra d6 hits if the target has 20 models or more? stuff like that would help everyone in general, make massed anything less shitty to fight.
>>
>>53719922
>Why are sniper drones so shitty?

Because they can be buffed to BS 4 with a marksman and drone controller. They're relatively pricey due to having long range, but the lack of damage and AP while needing babysitters hurts
>>
>>53719800
What is a gun casing?
>>
>>53719951
Both Marksman and a nearby Drone Controller, since I don't see anything preventing those two from stacking. That brings the drones in-line with the standard BS3, from their starting BS5. However, they alone are lacking the free MW on a To-Wound 6, and the Marksman is sizable tax. The individual drones cost 2pts less than the Necron or Eldar snipers, but the Marksman bumps the cost over, and the lack of the MW bonus isn't sufficiently compensated by +1S.
>>
>>53719960
You can't do this for a tournament. That army will only beat one other army type - conscript spam. But conscript spam will beat almost every other army type.

This will work in single matches, but on a tournament scale, there is literally no better choice. Conscripts are now the most effective (game for game, point for point) army choice in the game.

And the very fact I can say that shows just how fucked 8th edition is.
>>
>>53719990
>Correct.

Ah, so you're retarded then
>>
>>53719960
> instead of nerfing conscripts
I really do think conscripts should be 4 points. The special ability "big fucking unit" more than makes up for lower WS/BS/L in a guard army. Either that or disallow orders for them. They could still screen effectively but then they wouldn't be so efficient at killing stuff, which is theoretically the point.
>>
>>53719999
Then why did I win the last 4 games I played so easily? I only took Conscripts and buffs.
>>
File: best regiment.jpg (34KB, 239x239px) Image search: [Google]
best regiment.jpg
34KB, 239x239px
You know what does excite me as a way to most likely btfo horde armies this edition?
Mass paskyries
Supreme command detachment filled with elysians command squads with long range ground trackers in short range mode, inside multilaser+2HB+2MRP valks (air wing) that all of a sudden reroll to hit, combine this with T7 14W valks and you've got yourself a way to btfo hordes. while all but immune to return fire.
>>
>>53719990
>admitting you didn't read something entirely on 4chan and then responding
>>
>>53719996

>I've done the mat!
>posts obviously wrong math

I'm starting to think this has been a subtle trolling all along...
Either that, or you really butchered that fraction.
>>
>>53720026
>>53719990
>>53719954
>>53719834
>>53719759
>>53719666
The math says that 2000 points of Guard vs 1500+500 of Cons and Coms is a done deal. The Guard can never overcome the point differential.
>>
>>53719936
except this is based on pure math hammer.
>>53719939
what rule?
moral? each dead model adds one to the moral roll, thus an extra dead model if you're over moral-d6 (so .5 on average).

Commissar bubble? 6", unless your doubling per unit you're going to have trouble covering each unit with more than 2 bubbles.

What rule am I getting wrong?
>>
>>53720034
Post a pic of your army i want to see.
>>
>>53720005
>Britbongs having any fucking clue what a gun is, let alone a knife or even a fucking butter knife is.
>>
>>53719994
>Commissars prevent attrition
No, the prevent additional losses from morale. You still lose shit to being shot, you dimwit.

>and your Conscripts never need to fall back when they're one of the top tier close combat units in the game right now. They have 4 attacks each at 3 points.
No they don't, not to mention you get bottlenecked by the 1" and 1"ranges, you will never get the full blob assigning its attacks.

With LoS rules you will also never get the full blob focus firing on one target, and no you can't just walk around large models with an extra 1" no-go zone that wedge themselves between impassable terrain.
>>
File: Chapter_Approved_OC_5.jpg (151KB, 750x1132px) Image search: [Google]
Chapter_Approved_OC_5.jpg
151KB, 750x1132px
>>53720015
>And the very fact I can say that shows just how fucked 8th edition is.

No need to be so dramatic. And guess what, now we have recourse if they DO dominate the tournament scene as you predict.
>>
>>53720050
really?
I'd love to see that math, and the assumptions it's making.
>>
Are camo cloaks on scout marine sniper squad mandatory?

Up against some point constraints on new army and trying to optimize.
>>
File: commissars.png (424KB, 653x483px) Image search: [Google]
commissars.png
424KB, 653x483px
>>53720051
>>
>>53719618
>>53719958
>The Guard player can keep their Commissars just out of range for a good two turns if they know how to deploy correctly.
The correct deployment isn't what you've written there. The sniper rifle has a range of 36", the commissar has an aura of 6", and the lasgun only has a range of 24". The correct deployment has commissars leading conga tails of conscripts attached to spearheads.

If the snipers can get to the commissars, 50 points of ratlings can kill a commissar in one round of shooting. Your 500 points of commissars is 17 commissars. My 500 points of ratlings can kill 10 commissars in the first round of shooting.
>>
>>53720034
Because you're playing opponents as dumb as you are but they didn't have better players telling them what works best in this edition.
>>
>>53720058
>implying I won't make my conscripts stackable
>implying I won't make a tower of models
>implying theoryhammer is worth a damn
>>
>>53719761
>>53719776
Fuck man I am excited. Just need to figure out how to get some robes on my new Primaris guys.
>>
>>53720050
Except that doesn't follow.

It's 2000 points vs 2000 points. Aside from the commissars, both sides have an equal number of guardsmen, except one side has BS 3 guardsmen.
>>
>>53720026
Regular guard list has no orders being given and take battleshock damage, so they lose. Easily.
Even with no support, the conscripts barely lose that 2kv1.5k mismatch
They probably wouldn't even be able to wipe each other.

>>53720044
>implying I'm going to read any more of your retarded shit than I have to
>>
File: 1468623060287.jpg (62KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1468623060287.jpg
62KB, 600x450px
Now I want to see a battle of grots and big guns vs conscripts with heavy weapons teams. I'd give the conscript's the advantage. But grots can hit on 3s with their new rule so if they get lucky on the wound rolls they have a shot. Hwt and mek guns are about the same cost and grots n conscripts are 3pts each. It would be glorious either way. Toss in a few commissars and grot herders too to keep order
The lasgun being rapid fire is what would probably win the day
>>
>>53720103
>except one side has BS 3 guardsmen.
Your BS3 guardsmen will melt to battleshock in the face of withering lasgun fire. The conscripts won't.
>>
>>53720091
Only one Conscript needs to be in range of the Commissar to gain the benefit. You can easily conga-line abuse the deployments. So you lose maybe 4 Conscripts out of range to make sure the Commissar buffs them, not a big loss.
>>
>>53720000

Aren't there bombs that start dropping extra d6s or something for the number of models hit?

Seems like some of those are absolute Horde destroyers.
>>
>>53720103

>one side takes battle shock
>one side pretty much doesn't

HHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM,.......
>>
>>53719954
They're worth more than 3 points mostly for the ability to blob and make the most out of buffs and orders.

Frfsrf, leadership bonuses,and extra attacks are all more useful the bigger the squad.

If IS could blob up to 50 for 4ppm, conscripts would be most regulated to bubble wrap units.
>>
>>53720046
math for conscripts.
1/3 hit, 1/6 wound, 2/3 save. So 1 divided by 3 times 6 times 3 get through, that's 1/54.
4 shots with order and range. 3 points. 1/54 X4/3= 1/40.5

okay, I'll admit I forgot the conscript save on the swooping hawk math.
6 shots, 4 hits, 2 wounds. 1.33 wounds. Doubled from moral 2.66. Times 3 points. 8 pts.
So they kill half their points worth of conscripts every turn.
>>
>>53720103
The Conscripts do way more damage for their points than the Guardsmen do. Your mistake seems to be thinking GW has made the units in this edition balanced.
>>
>>53720126
They cap at 10.
>>
one word BTFOs all conscript+commissar spam lists forever
that word is terrain
>>
>>53720077
deer god

i hope this fixes it

ive lost two games to conscript spam already at the store i go to
>>
>>53720146
what are you saying I should get phosphex weapons to melt horde armies?
>>
>>53720088
yes, hence kill the max two commissars by the one unit your shooting at first.
I said kill the fucking commissar to get rid of the bubble.
I did not forget the commissar bubble.
>>
>>53720116
then you don't use snippers, you deep strike.
Conga line also suffers because if you charge the back of the conga line you tie up the whole unit, and only tiny portion gets to fight.
>>
>>53720032
Hmm. Instead of increasing their points, we could give conscripts an assault 1 gun, or give them a 6+ armor save. Makes no sense that the cannon fodder troops are just as well equipped as guardsmen. Alternatively, give them a special ability that causes orders to fail 1/2 the time, but doesn't eat up the 1 order they are allowed per turn, increasing the amount of officers you need if you want to make conscripts into your DPS.
Could also make Conscripts BS 6+. Still have WS 5+, but now they can't just gun everything down with laser pointers.
Just really adverse to making conscripts 4 points each. Might just be because I'm still used to thinking of guardsmen as being able to blob up on their own and as such don't value their ability to blob enough.
>>
>>53720010
Yes, but you are using an arbitrary points cutoff that hurts the snipers a bit since they have the fixed cost of the Marksman and Controller.
>>
>>53720130
And I'm guessing all of this math assumes that the conscripts split-fire and get the perfect amount of damage on each 10 man squad to deal just enough wounds to have them die from battleshock without wasting any?

No terrain, of course. Who uses terrain?
>>
>>53720140
this has always been the case.
>>
>>53720140
Do they? Without buffs, it looks like Conscripts cost 13.5 pts/wound/turn vs GEQ, while Guardsmen only cost 12pts/wound/turn vs GEQ.
>>
>>53720134

You said wounds per model before, which is why your math was wrong.
>>
>>53720053
here's a part of it, i have 3 more boxes of infantry plus a few bigger boxes of vehicles, and a few specialist cases for characters and baneblades
>>
>>53720183
Without buffs, the regulars will win, barely. With buffs, it's no contest.
>>
>>53720151
Had you seen tournaments boards?

You could have movement trays easily for how terrain-less they are.

This theoryhammer is only worth it if you go out of your way to waacfag. Meaning only in tournaments
>>
>>53718495
>Had Tau since launch
>They're mostly unpainted
You don't think you're a meme but you are.
>>
>>53720179

>And I'm guessing all of this math assumes that the conscripts split-fire and get the perfect amount of damage on each 10 man squad to deal just enough wounds to have them die from battleshock without wasting any?

Hardly. Battle shock is easy enough to use to kill off guard. And when one side is losing men to it and the other is, 1 BS doesn't make up for that.
>>
>>53720168
see
>>53719881
>>
>>53720154
>ive lost two games to conscript spam already at the store i go to
Naw. You'd still be playing the first one.
>>
>>53720169
Increasing points is the easiest change for GW because it doesn't touch the datasheet, which is Why I suspect it's the most likely change.
>>
>>53720186
I'm feeling pedantic, so my labeling was wrong, my math was fine.

1/40.5 wounds per point is not the max efficiency, even among IG. But people will keep pretending it is.
And again, this doesn't count the cost of the commissar and officer, which even with one per 50 man unit puts you to 4 pts per model. so down to 1/54 wounds per point.
>>
>>53720219
after they conga line forward there is plenty of space.
>>
>>53720103
>>53720130
>>53720179
>>53720212

Keep in mind that even if both sides had Commissars...

The Guard are limited to Squads of 10. That means that for EVERY squad they can lose 1 model per turn from morale. Conscripts are in units of 50, so they can only lose 1 model per turn from morale checks.

50 Guard can lose 5 models to morale, 50 Conscripts can only lose 1.
>>
>>53720248
see
>>53720179
>>53720151
>terrain

The conscripts fill every square inch that isn't terrain, wrapping around it. The only open areas are in terrain.
>>
>>53720249
you don't need the commissar for the guards.
Also it's MAX 1 model. They also get the commisars leadership 8, so only lose that one model on a moral role of 9+.
given slightly worse than average dice, they need to kill 5 models per squad to do this.
>>
>>53720173
Added another line for the maximum Sniper Drone squad size of 9, which minimizes the fixed costs. I also noted that they do have significantly longer range than alternatives (Poor 24" deathmarks), so getting off their Rapid Fire is fairly feasible, so I incorporated that as well.

Basically, Sniper Drones are potentially extremely efficient snipers, if you go through the effort to properly set them up (Marksman, Drone Controller, large numbers of drones to capitalize on the fixed cost of the preceding).

Less shit than I originally thought, just a lot of effort.

Am I missing something about Ratlings? Or are they just really efficient snipers? I know they're less durable and lack some of the fancy stuff other snipers have, but for raw commissar-killing power, they seem pretty good.
>>
>>53720233

>1/40.5 wounds per point is not the max efficiency, even among IG. But people will keep pretending it is.
Jesus christ this exact argument has already been said in this thread you autist
>>53719624

>>Nobody is saying they're the most cost effective AT.
>>What they are saying is that they have so many wounds, the tanks can't do anything about them, as the conscripts blaze away with their lasguns, getting far more points in kills than they take.
>>
>>53718843
>>Fists exemplar
...What art? This is third company?
>>Soul drinkers were cooler
Mutant spiders that had to be personally purged by their parent chapter? I'm not entirely sure what's going on with your taste, anon.
>>
>>53720269
so now we have actual terrain. So the conscripts aren't able to get their mass fire.
and you can deep strike into terrain.
>>
>>53720269
Only in their deployment zone. And then they start moving forward and get bottlenecked, and enemies send fast moving units up to intercept them and lock them in combat, and they get slapped with debuff psychic powers that hit 50 guys at a time, and then they accomplish nothing.

Shit Tyranids can make their entire frontline hit on a 7+ and laugh at them.
>>
I absolutely abhor that fat asian slag of a token bitch on WarhammerTV. I don't care that it seems she can an almost compare to Lord Duncan to an acceptable degree, that bitch's perma-stained tea yellow-stained grin forever turns me from "Warhammer Grill gamers"
>>
>>53720276
It still negates the benefit of the Commissar almost entirely by comparison. Commissars are wasted points on Guard. You might as well take Guard squads instead to make up for the losses.

But that only brings them a bit closer to equalling Conscripts, the Cons are still the superior choice.
>>
>>53720269
>wrap around a building
>suddenly most of the squad can't shoot things

Really gets the noggin' joggin'
>>
>>53718929
Because being power bottom of loyalists is what Slaanesh approves.
>>
They need to make blasts scale with target unit size.
Large Blasts
10 dudes 1d6 shots avg=3.5
11+ dudes 1d6+2d3 shots avg=7.5
21+ dudes 1d6+3d3 shots avg=9.5
31+ dudes 1d6+4d3 shots avg=11.5
etc.

Flamers and small blasts should be 1d3+xd3 hits per 10 over 20
>>
>>53720116
Conscripts not advancing to Rapid Fire range, with no officers, are outdone in damage by HWT with mortars. Since we're cheesing the SHIT out of this game, I can take 100 Ratlings, 100 mortar HWTs, and still have 400 points left over for, say, six Syndonian Dragoons to prevent your field advance, with at T6 W6 4+ Incense take 72 conscripts to lose a single wound. Rapid Fire from 200 conscripts cannot kill a single one.
>>
>>53720291
under mathhammer assumptions.
Which I'll admit I'm using too, but all the models I bring up do other thing just just be great in mathhammer.
>>
>>53720288
Thankfully she's not doing videos anymore.
>>
File: p.png (106KB, 557x160px) Image search: [Google]
p.png
106KB, 557x160px
>>53720288
>that bitch's perma-stained tea yellow-stained grin forever turns me from "Warhammer Grill gamers"
But anon we have skinny qt GSCB
>>
File: 5689461543.jpg (108KB, 600x849px) Image search: [Google]
5689461543.jpg
108KB, 600x849px
>>53720288
>he doesn't paint minis with his qt gf
>>
>>53720277
I think ratlings are getting a something of a points break because S4 wounds them on 2+, but yeah, still really efficient. Ironic.
>>
>>53720317
Or we could just bring templates back.
>>
>>53720277
What model are you assuming for carrying the Drone controller?
>>
Are chimeras really bad, or just bad when compared to the Taurox?
>>
>>53720347
They're never coming back anon, let it go.
>>
>>53720333
>he considers that disgusting landwhale cute
Do you happen to be American?
>>
File: 1497038248055.jpg (86KB, 1000x699px) Image search: [Google]
1497038248055.jpg
86KB, 1000x699px
>>53720283
yes third company of the fists exemplar. if you dont know imperial fists were literally completely destroyed in 32m and then fists exemplar changed their name to IF for propaganda reasons because it looks bad to have a 1st founding chapter get BTFO
>>
>People jacking themselves off about conscript spam in tournaments
>When the army is -9 CP and will be barred
>>
>>53720317
if only there was some kind of physical way to measure this that was quicker and easier to determine

like maybe you pick a point and measure out from that point in a circle?

actually, you could just use clear plastic to represent the same thing. like a blast measurer or something.

they probably wouldn't be worth making though, unless GW was to produce them themselves.
>>
so here's my challenge to the "maxed conscripts win every time" players.
make the army, go out actually do it.
Play 5 games.

After playing that you have 2 choices.
1) admit that it's not the dominant list you're pretending, with picture of yourself posted.
2) have to play that same list until you either win 5 games in a row or burn every single model in that list. With pics to prove it. Models must all be fully painted before burning.

Do that, with evidence, I'll post a pic of myself stating I was wrong while where a stupid hat and shirt. And I'll buy and paint a conscript army to studio level.
>>
>>53720318
see
>>53720015
>>
>>53720373
>then fists exemplar changed their name to IF for propaganda reasons

Fist were reconstituted from all the successors and stored genestock.
>>
>>53720374
>things aren't broken if I change the rules
>>
>>53720375
That mechanic is never coming back because it slows the games down too much and requires more peripheral shit to play the game besides just dice and tape measure.

There are ways to buff blasts without resorting to complicated algorithms or fucking templates, you guys are just daft.
>>
File: 1431310486728.png (458KB, 590x929px) Image search: [Google]
1431310486728.png
458KB, 590x929px
>>53718421
this is always the best feeling, because it feels so alien going back to a really old codex, but then I open it up and find a sheet of lined paper in between the pages and pull it out... and I see how fucking stupid I was taking squads of fucking rough riders and sentinels...
>>
>>53719789
Congratulations on doing 30-40pts a turn with a fucking assassin
>>
>>53720341
It is indeed. Fire with fire, and all that.

>>53720353
I literally am just using the 5pt cost of the DC, because the rest of the package of whatever is holding it will still be doing its own thing, the only real extra cost is the DC itself.

Fun fact: Chaos Sorcerer using Infernal Gaze is a very inefficient means of sniping Commissars.
>>
>>53718192
Respond to this post
>>
>>53720395
It's already questionable if negative CP is allowed under the current rules to begin with.

But I don't see why anyone even needs to use auxiliary detachments, it's perfectly doable to just run 2-3 Battalions.
>>
>>53720389
Fine, thirty Sydonian Dragoons. They can eat 12960 lasgun shots between them. It would take you thirteen turns to kill them if every single conscript you had was rapid firing all the time.
>>
>>53718495
you can make more money selling it split up.

but you can end up selling it off slowly in drips and drabs, and may find 1 or 2 units just aren't wanted.

selling all together is easier and gets them all gone sooner. but you tend to get less money all up.
>>
>>53720408
>slows the game down too much
>1d6+1d3+2-X(3X)=_/b^2=4ac/2a solve for X

X= who gives a fuck at this point lets go back to 7th ed
>>
>>53720408

I don't think "Increase this weapons attacks by d3 for every 10 models in the target unit" is a particularly complicated rule.
>>
>>53720435
Can they kill enough Conscripts to prevent them from holding every objective on turn 5?

If they were to hit with every single dice they rolled, lets assume they rolled a 6 on every single dice here... would they be able to kill enough Conscripts?
>>
>>53720393
except none of the fists customs were carried over and they were destroyed to a man.

if the exemplar are IF then red talons is the same chapter as iron hands
>>
>>53720421
Hmm...that makes sense. I only ask because I'm trying to sort out what to do with my own Sniper Drone squad.

Right now I think the cheapest option would be a Stealth team, since they're 90 points baseline and still do have their upgrades and benefits.

A commander would be cheaper, but only if they had a Drone controller and basically nothing else
>>
>>53720332
Pff, I could fake that shit easy.
>>
>>53720445
Why would anyone go back to 7th ed.

Even if conscript spam is as broken as people are saying that's still a huge improvement over the OP lists in 7th.

7th was the worst edition of this game to ever see the light of day and will be utterly dead in a matter of weeks. Even the most autistic grognards who refuse to move onto 8th will just go back to better editions of 40k like 4th.
>>
>>53720456
>Can they kill enough Conscripts to prevent them from holding every objective on turn 5?
They don't have to. I will get first turn and have a move of 10". All I have to do is sink twenty of them into combat and park on the objectives myself.
>>
>>53720469
Like, to yourself? Like you do with your hand every night?
>>
>>53720468
Keep in mind that if you want to maximize their effectiveness, you want both a DC and a Marksman. Getting the Marksman to tag along with Stealth Suits may be a tad tricky.
>>
>>53720333
>He pretends to paint minis with his xir poly-gendered-demi-sexual-non-cis-xan-alter-xen'd non-conforming-alter-being
>>
>>53720476
see
>>53719859
>>
>>53720459
>except none of the fists customs were carried over and they were destroyed to a man
Weren't some of the marines who revived the Fists old enough to have served in the Legion under Dorn?
>>
File: 5666897496156.jpg (115KB, 600x848px) Image search: [Google]
5666897496156.jpg
115KB, 600x848px
>>53720372
>he assumes I'm talking about getting a youtube waifu instead of a real life gf
jesus christ how autistic
>>
>>53720485
Oh, I meant I could fake being a girl with shitty crops like that.
>>
>>53720500
You don't seem to understand that your conscripts which get locked into combat aren't making it to the objectives.
>>
>>53720500
If I spread my dragoons out from left to right you will not be able to physically advance out of your deployment zone.
>>
>>53720493
The Marksman only has to be in sight of what the drones are shooting at, so I'm less worried there. I just have to find him a perch and have them shoot at guys who are more in the open.

I'm not expecting that much out of them compared to how they were as a small squad, but good to know how they work now.
>>
File: IMG_3954.jpg (56KB, 1135x179px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3954.jpg
56KB, 1135x179px
>>53720408
It's only a matter of time until forgeworld releases more superior blast options
>>
File: 567898419745613.jpg (374KB, 750x882px) Image search: [Google]
567898419745613.jpg
374KB, 750x882px
>>53720497
>it's impossible to enjoy 40k and have a flesh and blood, actually female gf
wow, I underestimated how autistic /tg/ is
>>
>>53720509
It's cropped from a larger picture that's been posted around.

GSCB has been confirmed to not be a fake grill for weeks, anon.
>>
>>53720445
Hah no. People are being alarmist. And remember if you go back to 7th you get to enjoy Unkillable splitting horrors + Magnus with shitloads of dice.

Long term hordes are fine if they back off the aggressive morale boosting abilities. They basically went "MORALE MATTERS!, lol nevermind."

Commissars should just be an "AM use my LD of 10" effect. Still reduces a conscripts battleshock losses by 10, and effectively negates them for Infantry squads, but it doesn't just eliminate them entirely.
>>
>>53720505
>He feigns ignorance while being completely under the thrall of some garguantu-whale tumblr space-fat SJW planet-bound leviathan.
lmao'ing @ your life
>>
>>53720373
The Imperial Fists may be a ship of theseus but they aren't the Fists Exemplar any more than they are any other successor.
>>
>>53720529
Fair enough. I don't keep tabs on 4chan girls.
>>
@53720528
>Confirmation bias
>The Post
>>
>>53720522
how is this dragoon army of yours a legit army? the conscript army is a detachment valid army
>>
>>53720535
Commissars abilities aren't even the issue.

The biggest issue with conscripts is actually a 5+ armour save for 3ppm in an edition where AP and blasts got nerfed.

Compare to Ork Boyz who are also ruthlessly efficient and yet they cost twice as many points for a 6+ armour save (admittedly they get higher toughness and KFFs can also patch that up, but that's also more points and another target to get sniped)
>>
>>53720558
Auxiliary Detachment x30, -30 CP.
>>
>>53720459
>except none of the fists customs were carried over
You know that specifically? I have to imagine there were at least support staff and such on Phalanx that understood and passed on the parent chapter's customs. Not to mention records.
>>
File: 5698794615676.jpg (93KB, 600x849px) Image search: [Google]
5698794615676.jpg
93KB, 600x849px
>>53720537
>he assumes I'm playing dumb when he's playing dumb about knowing that I was addressing the "not into Warhammer Grills" part of his post, not the specific fat land whale from youtube
are you genuinely this autistic or just kinda dumb?
>>
>>53720583
Well nothing says you can't take negative CP, but pretty sure a tournament would turn you away.
>>
>>53720557
>@
I now know what being an old man feels like.
>>
File: 231386.jpg (19KB, 438x588px) Image search: [Google]
231386.jpg
19KB, 438x588px
>>53720557
>@
>>
>>53720581
Lets say it's a combination of issues. I think they come together in a way that we're complaining about conscripts, and not say... Gretchin.
>>
>>53720416
>sentinels
You want to fucking go, nigger? Plasma sents or bust.
>>
What if negative CP gave your opponent CP?
>>
>>53720620
How's he gonna use all that CP against my 12 Eversors lol
>>
@53720607
@53720598

>not knowing this is all over /pol/ to not give the watergate shit trolls a (you)s
>>
File: 1410640448953.png (156KB, 280x272px) Image search: [Google]
1410640448953.png
156KB, 280x272px
>>53720620
this is actually pretty genius
>>
>>53720558
It could actually be done with two Outrider Detachments.
>>
>>53720597
I checked the squad size; if I'm willing to squad up and forgo the benefits of getting overkilled I can field 36 dragoons in 6 squads of 6 for a tax of a thirty point company commander.
>>
>>53720628
>>53720557
you uh... you're not on reddit friend
>>
>>53720611
we are also complaining about conscripts with zero play experiance.
People have played games of 8th ed, but I don't see many posts of "i've played 5 games against conscript guard and they are so OP". It's all mathhammer.

When the majority of posts bitching about conscripts are talking about games not mathhammer, I'll change my tune. Till then, keep screaming chicken little.
>>
@53720586
>he assumes I'm playing dumb when he's playing dumb about knowing that I was addressing the "not into Warhammer Grills" part of his post, not the specific fat land whale from youtube
>Meta-Meta-Meta-posting about being dumb
What meta is this?

@53720598
@53720607
>Top kek
>Apparent superiority claimed when verbal opponent acts out of the norm

@53720628
>Denying a verbal opponent a (You)
This man knows.
Fucking kek.
>>
>>53719637
Imagine if it had decent rules and blasts scaled up with squad size then it would have become an auto-include to deal with conscripts/ork mobs, but alas it's literally totally pointless and will only kill on average 5 guys in a whole game.
>>
>>53720620
Nobody would care because all the rerolls on earth will not save you from the GLORIOUS CONSCRIPT HORDE!

But (at least for my armies) it would be difficult to build a decent list without an HQ and troops in this edition anyways so its a null point.
>>
>>53720657
anon, you don't use @ signs on 4chan
>>
>>53720656
Nobody owns 500 conscripts. People might know a guy who knows a guy who owns 500 conscripts, but anyone who tries to put it on the table is "nine riptide guy" and nobody will play with him, especially because they don't have seven hours set aside to play the shittiest game ever.
>>
File: f623c25f9ae27e4e67a628280cdae357.jpg (561KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
f623c25f9ae27e4e67a628280cdae357.jpg
561KB, 1200x1200px
>>53720584
they became a hard core codex chapter (because thats what the fists exemplar were) when they were "revived". the real imperial fists werent codex compliant
>>
>>53720657
>>53720628
>>53720557
>@@@@@@@@
actually kys
>>
>>53720656
Some people have. I don't know if Conscripts are going to single-handedly crush the tournament scene as hyperbole would have it, but they are undeniably strong.
>>
>>53720657
what the fuck are you doing
>>
I'm pretty sure the response to all the @ posting confirms that /tg/ is full of plebbit newfags who can't into memes that appear more often outside of their safe space than they do in it.
>>
I've got 1000 points of guard infantry (vets with lots of special weapons + scions) including a valkyrie and a sentinel.

I also have a bunch of Grey Knight terminators, around 20 power armoured dudes, a landraider, and a couple dreads.

What should I take from the Grey Knight list to make up the guard army to 1500points (or whatever is common) ?
>>
>>53720657
This isn't twitter or whatever you think it is
>>
>>53720656

>i trust anecdotal evidence over basic math and somehow believe that things are going to radically alter when they hit the table because muh terrain

kindly kys you fucking retard
>>
>>53720691
Interesting, source?
>>
@53720672
This is bait

@53720693
@53720698
@53720704
>Still granting verbal opponents the valuable currency of (You)s
lmao'ing @ your life
>>
>>53720703
Conscripts
>>
>>53720657
If ever a sign was needed that morons will come onto 4chan and have the arrogance to post on their first day here, here it is.
>>
>>53720715
No one is going to check to see if you replied to them you fucking cretin
>>
You guys were doing so much better than shitholes like /co/ and /v/. I just want a place to be a grognard without other shit leaking in. Please.
>>
File: 1483011699844.jpg (69KB, 684x692px) Image search: [Google]
1483011699844.jpg
69KB, 684x692px
Has anyone asked on the 40k facebook if Kairos not having ephemeral form is a mistake or if they just fucked him over for no reason?
>>
>>53720727
Two or three "shitty poster" flags might be a new poster. Seven of them is a blatant shitposter.
>>
>>53720710
well that's how its been pretty much every othertime we mathhammer up a new stuff or edition changes.
>>
>>53720715
>you think people care as much as you do
>projecting this hard
>>
>>53720710
I don't trust math with hidden assumptions that don't match reality.
>>
@53720727
please stop spurging, people being dicks with @s is older than reddit
>>
>going to end up with 15 scions
should i take a big squad and a small squad?
or should i go with 3 small squads?
>>
File: 1472520509689.png (80KB, 348x348px) Image search: [Google]
1472520509689.png
80KB, 348x348px
>>53720699
more likely some of them are oldfags who don't really give a shit about what goes on outside this board since most of it is somehow shittier than what goes on here

though i'm certain you're right about a few of them
>>
Holy fuck, this general really is filled with newfag plebbitors who have never seen @posting in their life, isn't it?
>>
Are we getting Primaris Scouts and Termies?
>>
>>53720764
Some of us don't associate exclusively with shitposters in our spare time.
>>
File: 1496360728841.jpg (2MB, 1500x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1496360728841.jpg
2MB, 1500x2000px
>>53720714
some shitty bl book that obviously i didnt read since im shitposting about how terrible the plot was

one of the beast series. its a good example to always play with Your Dudes because if you play with something GW knows about they will fucking turn it to shit

feel free to check any of the wikis to verify
>>
How could the deathstrike have been made actually good instead of totally worthless?
>auto-hits everything in the target unit, no cover save, unlimited range, when unit is targeted all units within six inches take d6 auto hits
The conscript cleanser, appropriate for a nuke.
>>
File: 1449462059497.gif (3MB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
1449462059497.gif
3MB, 500x282px
>>53720764
you know how obvious you're being with these timestamps... right?

please tell me you do know and youre doing this ironically
>>
>>53720768
you're on 4chan, assuming you aren't doing this as a job, that's arguably exactly what you're doing
>>
>>53720764
Some boards hold their posters to a higher standard than what you are used to.
>>
>>53720778
Instant killing an entire unit might be a bit much.
>>
>>53720749

>I can't actually make an argument, but my feelings tell me that conscript meta doesn't work, so I'll just post anyway
>nevermind the fact that all restrictions to conscripts were removed, their points reduced, everyone else's AP nerfed (their lasguns stayed the same), frfsrf buffed, and their commissars buffed, hordes in general buffed, and antihorde weapons nerfed

Literal subhuman scum.
Your life is utterly without value.
Your thoughts less than worthless.
>>
@53720727
@53720737
@53720748
@53720768
>Effortless trolling of newfags
>2005 Era
>You can only imagine how hilarious your asspain is to me.

>>53720782
I will grant this boon of (You)
You were correct, once a upon a time. Now, /tg/ wallows in cancerous pity.
>>
>>53718107
Bump limit reached, move on to greener pastures
>>53720811
>>53720811
>>53720811
>>
@this general
this is the fucking worst place on the internet
>>
>>53720807
You really aren't helping it though with your posts, anon.
>>
>>53720779
In case you didn't realize, samefagging is indicated by a 1min 1sec-5sec difference due to the loading time of the post cooldown being exactly one minute followed by the time required to make the post. So no, I'm not him because that would mean I have an insanely fast internet capable of uploading posts in less than 1 second. The fact that i have to explain this arguably proves me right though.
>>
>>53720825
>Im helping by telling you you're not helping
>>
>>53720827
easily circumnavigatable by multiple devices/IPs
>>
@53720835
>post-cancerous-meta-posting
I've already won at this point lad. You're only modicum of victory is to not respond. Let's see if your pride demands otherwise.
>>
>>53720857
Which I'm not so much of a faggot to use but alright.
>>
File: honor guard.jpg (52KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
honor guard.jpg
52KB, 600x620px
I have space marines but not ultramarines, and I want somebody to hang out with roboute when I field him in large games. Trying to decide between some new primaris friends, some comfy ultramarine honor guard friends, or some banana flavored custodes friends.
>>
7th edition-Broken lists require you buy and paint few giant models and a handful of smaller models.

8th edition-Broken lists require you buy and paint hundreds of infantry.

Even by this metric 8th is superior. Your local WAACfag will paint 3 riptides and a stormsurge, but is he going to paint 200 guardsmen?
>>
>>53720827
i have 2mb/s and i upload in about a second... how poor are you anon?
>>
>>53720778
2d6 mortal wounds to the unit. Then, autohits every model in the target unit at S5 AP-1. Then, autohits every model in every unit within 6" at S3.
>>
>>53720899
most old guard own hundreds of infantry already
>>
@53720827
>In case you didn't realize, samefagging is indicated by a 1min 1sec-5sec difference due to the loading time of the post cooldown being exactly one minute followed by the time required to make the post. So no, I'm not him because that would mean I have an insanely fast internet capable of uploading posts in less than 1 second. The fact that i have to explain this arguably proves me right though.
>Non-pass posting-gate isn't a thing
This is definitely bait but we'll have fun anyway.
>>
>>53720816
>new thread while still on page 8
You dumb, skittish newfag.
>>
File: ss+(2017-06-09+at+11.11.41).png (127KB, 878x645px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-06-09+at+11.11.41).png
127KB, 878x645px
Rate my list. I'm going up to the FLGS tomorrow to see how well the old raptors do in 8th edition. If they don't do all that well, I'll probably just keep up with collecting Steel Confessors.
>>
With everyone talking about AM list should I hold off until their codex nerf, then pick up cheap on ebay when conscript fags abandon them?
>>
>>53721440
Yes.
As soon as conscripts become non-meta, there will be shit loads of cheap Cadians on ebay. Wait for their codex.
>>
>>53719490
tfw started in 4th
>only managed to get a few boxes of the 20 for 35$ guardsmen
>now it's 10 for 30$
it's not fucking fair
>>
>>53719767
>Even without buffs
stopped reading there
they have fucking LD4
they are worthless without a commissar
>>
>>53720208
The meme is people play them unpainted. Having shit in storage doesn't seem like playing with it.
>>
>>53721025
Imperial Marines being a single unit is the oddest thing ever.
>>
>>53721025
>using power
>16 power for 10 vets jumppacks
>this unit would cost 370 points in real 40k
KEK
Thread posts: 569
Thread images: 60

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.