[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the worst boardgame you've ever played?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 16

File: 1200x630bb.jpg (42KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
1200x630bb.jpg
42KB, 630x630px
What is the worst boardgame you've ever played?
>>
>>53712790
Monopoly
>>
Catan
>>
>>53712825
Not into getting spanked I see.
>>
>>53712797
This.
>>
The Game of Thrones boardgame. Such a clusterfuck of imbalanced bullshit and unnecessary/self conflicting rules
>>
>>53712880
>Such a clusterfuck of imbalanced bullshit and unnecessary/self conflicting rules
Just like the show then?
>>
>>53712880
At least it's accurate to the books then
>>
Never played this myself but just looking at it makes me assume it's the worst shit that has ever or will ever exist.
>>
>>53712950
It's like reddit designed cards against humanity
>>
>>53712975
So just like Cards Against Humanity?
>>
>>53712797
Delete
>>
>>53712975
And decided that only the word "you", of all the words that could possibly be shortened, absolutely must be shortened despite having 2/3rds of the fucking cards be blank anyway. I don't know why I'm focusing on that so damn much but I am and it's driving me crazy. Also, aren't like 90% of memes screencaps of copyrighted shit like anime and spongebob, or licensed photos from fucking stock photo websites? There has so be some sort of legality these guys are skirting here.
>>
Off the top of my head, Last Night On Earth
>>
Ticket to ride
Any edition
>>
Dead of Winter.

The game can have no winner.

One player is antagonistic to everyone else but can lose just as easily as them.

Items are in general really overpowered or trash.

And the worst is that turns take somewhere between 5-15 minutes, and no one has anything to do on other's turns. Oh and it's typically a 4-6 player game, with a large number of rounds.

Basically all the "cool" new games that mistake complexity and number of mechanics with fun can all be burned.
>>
Kobolds ate my baby was pretty disappointing.
It's like munchkin except you're required to be drunk as fuck.. which none of us were.
>>
>>53713358
I think it's funny that we're seeing a lot of older, long-running games returning to more simplistic mechanics while newer games are going for the more complex route.
>>
>>53712790
Risk.
>>
Zombicide. What an absolute piece of shit cancer miniature-hype game.
>>
>>53712790
Trouble, its a game that is completely up to chance with no semblance of strategy or skill. its just rolling a die around a $5 game board that you spent $20 on.
>>
>>53712790
Oh please. I will play exploding kittens any day over some of the shit I've seen.

A friend and I used to have a running challenge. Every week he would find, acquire, and force me to play a terrible board game with him and I would buy him the most foul drinks I could find from local ethnic grocery stores and force him to drink them while we played. There's some truly awful shit out there that makes Monopoly look like Puerto Rico. These three are definitely the worst that I've played. All of them minimize player skill to zero and are essentially roll the die and see what happens games, but without the decency to end quickly or intuitively and can take hours to play. Worst of all, two of the games are literally broken and can form a situation in which the game simply does not function anymore and winning is literally impossible for any player. Those situations would be rare, but the fact that they are possible in theory, and especially that they wouldn't be discovered until you've been playing for an hour or so really burns my bacon.
>>
File: IMG_0846.jpg (119KB, 817x630px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0846.jpg
119KB, 817x630px
Collateral Damage

Bought it for a friend as a joke based on the box art. I've never seen a game include a grease pencil before or since. We got through one turn before we had to stop.
>>
File: Batheroli.jpg (42KB, 480x474px) Image search: [Google]
Batheroli.jpg
42KB, 480x474px
>>53712950
Please tell me that isn't actually a thing. That looks horrendous.
>>
>>53713325

Fight me.
>>
>>53714771
Any other really shitty games you can think of?
>>
>>53714953
Christ, what's the game actually about?
>>
>>53712790
>>
>>53712950
I've played it. Everyone was laughing except me. None of the jokes, sorry, memes, were funny. I think a mixtape joke was made three rounds in a row. I was playing random cards and I somehow won. I felt alone, confused, and scared. Moral of the story, don't play games with normies.
>>
>>53713358
It's bad, but it's not >>53712797 bad.
>>
>>53715175
Unfortunately it's real. I work for Amazon and end up handling a few copies of it each week along with other shitty CAH clones.
>>
File: pic499125.jpg (16KB, 223x300px) Image search: [Google]
pic499125.jpg
16KB, 223x300px
>>53715285
>>53714953
This anon beat me to it but this is another one of those "God have mercy on our souls" bad games, but for different reasons. Obviously, there's the cringe level, but aside from that the rules are next to incomprehensible at best and unplayable at worst. Believe it or not but there's an entire genre of sub-deviantArt quality "anime"-style games made in the west. All of them are varying flavors of OH GOD WHY (pic related). There are bad games from Japan too but for some reason Japan never really got the idea that "anime" could be aesthetic unto itself and I just have less exposure to them because I live in burgerland.

Other truly miserable board game experiences I have had:
>Clue: Secrets and Spies
Luckily, I believe this board game can't be played anymore because it requires you to send text messages to get various clues and I believe that server has been shut down
>Caveman: Quest for Fire
Another one of those games where people do stuff that has no effect on the game until someone randomly triggers the win and it's over. Mercifully short though.
>Mousquetaires du Roy
I have never actually played this game, so I can't speak for whether it is truly awful to play as anything else listed here, but the rulebook is bar none the worst I have ever read. I have a standing bet with my circle of friends that anyone new to the group can read the rule book for one hour and then is given an opportunity to explain to me how a single round of the game works. Anyone who can do so to my satisfaction (I once sat down with the rule book for two hours to figure it out myself) is entitled to $20. To date I've never had to give out that crisp like-new Andrew Jackson.
>>
File: BB Stunned.jpg (145KB, 448x340px) Image search: [Google]
BB Stunned.jpg
145KB, 448x340px
>>53715821
Goddamn, you're shipping boxes of SHEER PAIN to unsuspecting people

You're kinda like a god
>>
>>53715175
>>53712975
>>53712950
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UABSyUHpAQ
>>
File: poo-card-game.jpg (121KB, 540x400px) Image search: [Google]
poo-card-game.jpg
121KB, 540x400px
Its not the worst ever but it's the one that disappointed me the most. I expected a fast paced competitive party game with funny cards.

What I got was repetitive art, poorly written instructions and gameplay that ammounts to nothing more than drawing cards till someone wins, no skill, no real table flip moments just a series of cards with the same 4 pictures of monkey's on them.
>>
>>53715927
Not even two minutes into this fucking video and I've heard more canned laughter and bad jokes than an entire episode of Big Bang Theory. I really, truly hope no one buys this game.
>>
>>53712797
That needs a slight addendum. Monopoly as played by idiots that don't play by RAW is horrible. Played by RAW it is actually tolerable for a roll and move type game.

Seriously fuck putting all fines and shit on Free Parking. Whoever originated that houserule deserves to have an entire Monopoly set shoved up their ass.
>>
>>53715927
I hope that other anon is right and they receive a C&D for using copyrighted photos
>>
>>53712880
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6-rDd63Ims
>Oh, a new character! Let's check out his dossier...
>>
File: drinking quest.jpg (876KB, 1000x614px) Image search: [Google]
drinking quest.jpg
876KB, 1000x614px
My friend got it at PAX East.
We assumed it would get funny when we were drunk.
We were wrong.
>>
>>53716314
>Yeddy Vedder
This offends me on a spiritual level
>>
>>53716197
No, you are wrong.
They deserve to have every Monopoly set shoved up their ass.
>>
>>53716533
No need to make every game of monopoly shitty
How about just every set that was ever used along with bad houserules?
>>
>>53713093
Its almost all stock photos with a sad pepe or two thrown in. The stock photos were probably just paid for.
Source: I've had the misfortune of playing this game. It's just as bad as it looks, it's amazing what normal people consider memes.
>>
>>53716768
For one they don't understand the difference between an image macro and meme. They just throwing some text on an image instantly makes a meme.
>>
>>53716735
To be fair, what I meant was one of every variation. Every copy ever might be more fitting though, in all fairness
Your way just makes every purchased copy shitty and leaves the unpurchased copies free of shit.
>>
File: 1482210824113.jpg (3KB, 160x186px) Image search: [Google]
1482210824113.jpg
3KB, 160x186px
Pathfinder.
>>
>>53712790

Honestly probably Settlers of Catan. It pretends to be all strategic and shit, but it's so random that I felt like I had no control over winning or losing. You literally just roll the dice and pray you get the resources you need or you're fucked.
>>
>>53715857
>requires you to send text messages to get various clues
What a shitty fucking gimmick.
>>
Talisman. I've still had some fun times with it, but it's a fucking awful game in any way you can measure.
>>
>>53713358
Is this a zombie game with miniatures? I've been roped into playing like five of them or the same one five times or who knows, but they've all been miserable.
>>
>>53715206
Your favorite game is boring garbage
>>
>>53715857
>the rules are next to incomprehensible at best and unplayable at worst.

I won't argue with you about the cringe, but I found the rules perfectly clear and serviceable. What, specifically, did you find wrong with them?
>>
>>53712790
Der Fuhrer. It's, in theory, a game about the political maneuvering in Weimar Germany, as you try to become the biggest party around. In practice, only the Nazi and SDP can actually amass enough votes to win. The recommendations for the others? "Try for second or third place!"
>>
>>53717187
Do you have a pdf for that or did someone have an original copy? Its pretty rare
>>
>>53712797

I like Monopoly and I'm a communist. Really shows how shitty capitalism can be in a fun yet aggravating setting.
>>
Playing Cards Against Humanity for the 70th time, yes the game is good for shock value the first # of times, but its tedious. We've made a rule not to use the first or second expansion packs now.

Game of Phones was humilitating. Some people were defensive about showing some things, or if they were true social outcasts they had nothing to win it with. Usually we use it to pad out CAH to make it more fun.
>>
>>53717604
I think most of CAH's jokes fall flat because they feel some need to include celebrity names as white cards. Most people either don't get the majority of them, the cards are too specific or the black cards simply don't fucking work with celebrity name answers. Every time I play I end up with a hand full of them eventually because they just suck as answers.
>>
>>53717604
I've considered mixing CAH and Apples to Apples, to see if the combination of mundane subjects to shock value subjects mixes it up enough to make it entertaining.
>>
>>53717182
Characters that fall in love with each other are pretty much out of the game. God help you if your gang members are bi.
>>
>>53718688
Oh, you weren't talking about your posted image. That makes that much clearer.
>>
>>53716876
realism
>>
>>53717352
>I like Monopoly and I'm a communist.

Monopoly was designed by a Communist.
The original concept was meant to present two sets of rules, demonstrating that cooperation provides better results than capitalist competition, but it backfired because only the competitive aspect makes for an actual game.
>>
Munchkin is like Exploding Kittens, but takes 4 times as long.
>>
Munchkin.

The only redeeming factor is it may help finance GURPS.
>>
>>53720354

I know.
>>
>>53715921
Hey, they made the decision to buy it. I only do what I'm told.
>>
>>53720354
No it wasn't, it was designed by a Georgist. Don't claim things that aren't your own, commie.
>>
>>53712950
played it at a party. whoever won got to be the judge. it kept cycling between these three girls with shit taste in humor that all had the same shit taste in humor.

This is why the judge order is supposed to be a clockwise/counter clockwise motion.

The game has potential......except it really doesn't.
>>
>>53717604
CAH isn't a terrible for a party game. It's dead simple to pick up and a solid icebreaker. Unfortunately the game relies almost entirely on reference or shock humor. References are easily missed, and shock humor only stays funny for so long.

Of course the game has problems (like no way to effectively get rid of shit hands). Interestingly, none of the snarky ironic CAH clones have even tried to fix these problems, instead choosing to copy the entire fucking game down to the fonts used on the packaging.
>>
>>53712950
One of my aunts and her adult offspring love Cards Against Humanity. They just got that game and the knowledge that I will someday inevitably end up playing it has me contemplating suicide.
>>
>>53713093
Well in the case of stock photos it probably would not cost that much to just get a license.
>>
>>53723109
I think they just copy it so people will buy their cards as additions to the CAH set. They don't want to make their own game, they just wanna cash in on what CAH's already done. It's a real shame too, if you got rid of the reference and shock humor and added just better black and white cards across the board, CAH would be a lot of fun for a quick party game. A few online friends and I used to run online CAH games with custom decks over some website and we had a blast, especially when we included blank cards that we could write our own answers in with to make shit personal.
>>
>>53716876
All that piece of shit has going for it is mah trading.
>>
>>53716927
It at least gets better when you add in the expansions with new areas.
>>
>>53723051
I played it once, I think the game included a "sorority girls who learned about memes in 2016" expansion. Because half the caption cards were about purses, female office drama, Instagram likes, going out with the girls, and other shit like that.

Remembering those cards, I understand and pity your situation.
>>
>>53723211
>online CAH games with custom decks
This is how you fix CAH.
I remember a few years back some guy would host a room for /v/, all the cards were references to video games and developers with some vidya related memes sprinkled in. And of course there were blank cards that you could type your own words onto. Shit was pretty fun.
>>
File: IMG_5303.jpg (182KB, 1000x783px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5303.jpg
182KB, 1000x783px
>>53712790

Most older games mechanics are, sad to say, terrible.
I had a game when I was about 7-8 years old called "Bonde spelet" (translate Farmers game), its similar to Monopoly,
Recently I had the pleasure of finding this lump of gold and try it out. Hyped as hell, me and my friends sat down and had just about the worst gaming experience ever. The game is just shit. Random shit!

See, the problem is that no one had the balls to think outside the box regarding anything game related. You had your board, and the dice decided if you got to draw a card or expand your empire/character/whatever. You didn't really have much of a choice other than enjoy the ride.

My first encounter with a somewhat "out of the box thinking" was with Talisman. Now many people claim this to be the worst game ever, random incarnate so to speak. But this game brought something I had never encountered before, multiple options with each and every dice roll!
Compared to today's games its also shit, but still holds nostalgia in my heart, so Ill always enjoy a game of Talisman.
>>
>>53723274
I think that's a bit like saying "All The Shining has going for it is muh horror." It's the vast majority of the experience. If you're not into that kind of game/movie then fair enough but it's just stupid to dismiss the core mechanic and then say there's nothing there.
>>
>>53723385
That's partially it, the way you fix CAH is to play with people who you would otherwise actually interact with. It won't make you magically enjoy other people's company, especially if you don't share the same sense of humor.
>>
>>53714481
Seconded
>>
>>53723393
I agree that it'd be boring if it were just a solitaire "roll dice until you have what you need" game, but table-wide shortages happen at least once per game and are incredibly boring. You can't trade if nobody has the one thing everyone needs.

Personally I'm thinking of upping the max hand limit to 9, so that rolling a 7 isn't such a huge fuck you unless you're really hoarding stuff.
>>
>>53712797
>yfw the fp is also the bp
>>
>>53712790
Heroquest.

But only because my brothers were utter spastics who couldn't grasp the concept of working together and thus couldn't even complete the first level without me housruling and giving them extra spells and better weapons and shit.
>>
>>53723385
That sounds comfy as fuck provided you don't get too many fags. With current /v/ it'd be unplayable though unless you tried it at like 4AM. That board's completely gone to shit.
>>
>>53714953
I think i've seen this artist before. They do transformation fetish shit mostly.
>>
Munchkin
>>
I'ma talk about how to "fix" monopoly.

First things first: Never touch the Free Parking Houserule.

Now then, we move on to things to remove from the game:

1. No extra turns on doubles.
2. No Hotels
3. You don't get money for passing Go, only for landing on it.

And here's what you get in exchange:

When you roll the dice, you decide where to go
>>
>>53713307
Lnoe is really fun. You don't like player agency?
>>
>>53723961
>Choosing where to go

You realize nobody would go bankrupt ever if you did this?
>>
>>53723389
+1
>>
I can't decide between Exploding Memes or Joking Hazrd (the shitty Cyanide and Happiness) one, but they reinforce my belief that webcomic creators don't make good card game designers.
>>
>>53723393
I've basically never had a successful trade happen in Catan. Everyone I've played with is so shit-scared of letting someone else have an edge that they just flat out refuse in case they're helping you.
>>
>>53712925

In 3 player mode house stark has a huge advantage.

in 4 player mode baratheon or stag man whatever has a huge advantage.

Just try to win as grayjoy. no really fucking try it. the same can be said with lanister. in a full game they are fucked by all sides.
>>
>>53723961
It's really not that bad if you just follow RAW and dump all the stupid house rules.

I mean, it's not the greatest or anything, but it's perfectly playable.
>>
>>53720648
This Anon fucking knows.
>>
>>53724482
Trick there is to give them trades they think benefit them more than you. 2 or even 3 for one, that kind of thing.
>>
I have never seen anybody use any sort of houserules in monopoly.
>>
Battleships.
>>
>>53724530
Hey, retard here, what does RAW mean?
>>
>>53724790
It's a wrestling show.
>>
Cards Against Humanity
>>
>>53724790
Rules As Written.

People will also sometimes use RAI, which is Rules As Intended.

Both are devoid of house rules.
>>
>>53724753
Pretty sure you just don't know what the house rules are.

Free parking is an almost universal house rule.

Most people forget about the auctioning, too, or only implement it some times.
>>
File: 1480448929682.png (507KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1480448929682.png
507KB, 500x500px
>>53713358
>group of 5 started playing this at my lgs
>check back like half an hour later and they're starting a new game because they'd all died or something
>they tell me they never even started turn 2
>>
File: dungeoneer03.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
dungeoneer03.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Not a boardgame but still terrible. Dungeoneer was the worst game-related purchase I have ever made
>>
File: Menschenaergern.jpg (376KB, 1500x1488px) Image search: [Google]
Menschenaergern.jpg
376KB, 1500x1488px
>>53712790
>>
>>53712880
It's pretty fun to play, but I agree that it's unbalanced without all 6 players.
>>
Pokemon: Master Trainer
>>
>>53716197
Lemme copy/paste my house rules which impose a significant improvement.

>Eminent domain rule; if you own the majority of a color, you can force a player or the bank to sell you the remaining lot.
>A player can pay $100 to get anyone, including themselves, out of jail. Bail money can be put up as part of a trade.
>Chance Cards that move you can be kept and activated at any time provided you are not in jail.
>When landing on Go, you may forgo the $200 and move to any lot you own.
>When one player goes bankrupt, the player with the highest total wealth (Value of houses, hotels, properties, and actual cash) is the winner. In the case of a tie, whoever owns the property closest to Go is the winner, starting with Boardwalk and going backwards.

This greatly speeds up the game and allows formation of monopolies far more quickly.
>>
>>53712880
I played it once and the only thing I remember is getting instantly crushed by the Lannisters because they can pull infinite resources out of their ass
>>
>>53724902

Forgive my ignorance, but it looks kinda cool, whats wrong with it?
>>
Sentinels of the multiverse

Good god that game is a tedious pile of repetitive play by the numbers no decisions necessary shit that wastes and entire evening while the comic nerds that demanded it be played sperg out at every half assed 'comedy' reference
>>
>>53725010
Oh god this game is misery.
>>
File: monopoly board.jpg (24KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
monopoly board.jpg
24KB, 300x300px
All the fun of filing your taxes, only less strategic.
Thread posts: 115
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.