[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I've been DM for a group of a few close friends for years

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: b14.jpg (40KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
b14.jpg
40KB, 600x600px
So I've been DM for a group of a few close friends for years now, the group in question is made up of wallflower type dudes who are a tad on the shy side. I've been trying to encourage more heavy RP and talking in character because it's what I personally want and when I've asked them about it they say that they really like the idea of it and want to RP more as well. But without fail they always shy away from it and default back into the ooc talk. I have done my best to develop my voice and act the parts but I don't know how to encourage my shy buddies to get up and use their ic voices.

You guys ever have a problem like this? Any ideas?
>>
Booze, maybe.

In character voices is always cringe to me though, could never fucking do it (as a player or GM). Even the best GMs made me cringe with that shit too.

Thank god for internet games where OOC can be delegated to voice and IC can be strictly text.
>>
Alcohol
>>
>>53709361
You need to play the fool. Put in a comedic character and make a tit of yourself. I know noone likes "lol so randumb" campaigns but if you make it clear that its ok to be silly people might follow suit.
>>
>>53709361
I used to have this issue. My player would always just tell me what their character say instead of actually having their character say it

One thing that may help is figure out which of your players is most into it, or least shy. Tell them you want to ramp up RP and give their character a couple chances to shine in convo. When the others see it they will be more likely to follow suit.

Sometimes the players see a wall between the DM and themselves, where they have to act one way while you act the other. It's hard to be the first student in class to volunteer for something, just the same as inexperienced roleplayers don't want to be the first to "put themselves out there" infront of the other players
>>
>>53709399
>>53709418

We've all been well and drunk before. I guess it might have helped a little, but then the problem becomes focus and non game related conversation/derail.

>>53709480
>>53709484

These are both good suggestions. I'll have to try them. I actually have a character concept that would be perfect for playing the fool too.
>>
>>53709361
It took me way too many sessions to actually stop being shy, although I played with my group of friends i know for 10 years now.
Ironically the time i broke the shyness was when I played half-fox female wizard as leader.
Since I noticed that on /tg/. Are you by any chance acting too serious about it? Shy people tend to not try because they are scared of failure and DM freaking out.
>>53709593
Too much conversation ooc is always bad, but it seems like you don't have any phone sitting problems with those people.
>>
>>53709653
I guess I could be too serious. Hadn't really thought about it but it's possible. If that's the case the joke character will help a lot I bet.
>>
OP you have to push this HARD if you want them to do it. Constantly remind them to act in character. Constantly. Do not let up. Then they will adapt. It takes practice. Even as a 10 year RPG veteran I often slip away from it. But that's usually because when the rest of the group is not doing it it can be . That's why it's down to you to make it so if that's what you want. Just let them know your intentions, then keep reminding them. Set the example and they will lead.

Just don't do accents. Those are cringeworthy.
>>
>>53709361
If this was online, I'd suggest text-only roleplaying--you'd be dumbfounded. Give them a little time to meditate on their character's reply.
(They'll get faster.)

If not, reinforce attempts at acting with in-game rewards. This is not unheard of.
>>
>>53709361
Just stop responding to ooc voices and stop using yours and give your ic voices all you got eventually theyll get into it
>>
>>53716656
Alternative: NPCs respond to OOC voices as if they were said verbatim
>>
File: Animal_Companion.gif (2MB, 374x245px) Image search: [Google]
Animal_Companion.gif
2MB, 374x245px
>>53709361
Suggest they use an accent for their character. People will slip into an accent much easier than they will an entirely different voice.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.