[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG: Standard General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 329
Thread images: 38

File: Amonkhet-Art-03.jpg (112KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
Amonkhet-Art-03.jpg
112KB, 1200x900px
Things happened in Manilla

Things still to happen in other places

Will Marvel be the One Deck to Rule Them All?

Find out next time on MTG Standard!
>>
File: Electrostatic+Pummeler+[KLD].jpg (36KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Electrostatic+Pummeler+[KLD].jpg
36KB, 223x311px
>pummeler did 80 damage
Jesus I'm so glad me and a friend decided to throw together that deck.
Dope af.
Speaking of which, currently running 3 uncaged fury and 1 fling. Should I go for full fun mode and just take out all the uncaged fury for the ability to throw a huge robot at someone?
>>
Why is Fevered Visions a bad card in today's Standard?
>>
>>53700113

Cards like fevered visions are generally only good against control, control isn't too popular
>>
It was fucking Beautiful. Again, against all odds. Allies goes 3-0. I'm pretty happy with it.
>>
>>53700113
Killing Emrakul couldn't save control. We're moslty Aggro/Midrange and New Perspectives. Going with Fevered Visions won't be a good choice against any of those.
>>
Are there any good draft guides online? Preferably for the current block. I usually just try constructing a deck around the first good card I draft but can never make a good enough deck.
>>
Looking for input for FNM

22x Lands
4x Flameblade Adept
4x Bomat Courier
4x Bloodrage Brawler
3x Archfiend of Ifnir
2x Bloodhall Priest
2x Kari Zev
2x Invigorated Rampage
4x Fiery Temper (madness)
1x Distemper of the Blood (madness)
4x Harsh Scrutiny..Lay Bare the Heart (combination of)
4x Magma Spray..Grasp of Darkness (combination of)
>>
>>53700829
Bombot as your main way to keep gas going and as madness triggers :/ idk man, other than that you don't have too many true discard options, tormenting voice is a great spell to possibly utilize/sidedeck. And although ifnir is amazing on paper, I just think he isn't the best if you can't keep up the discard. Which I would possibly say maybe throw a hazoret in there instead, 4 drop, haste, can't be killed, and fuels the discard madness even if for a cost. But Idk personal opinion, or if you dare go this route hazorets monument, cheaper spells and you can madness from a creature summons.
>>
File: c4rd4r7_xxtLmk0lvJ.jpg (111KB, 850x500px) Image search: [Google]
c4rd4r7_xxtLmk0lvJ.jpg
111KB, 850x500px
>>53700829
Needs Insolent Neonate, Hazoret, Furyblade Vampire.
You can and could go Mono Red.
If you want to keep with Black you need Unlicensed Desintegration, Alms of the Vein, Asylum Visitor.
Consider Fatal Push, Consuming Fervor, Avacyn's Judgment.
Consider dropping Kari Zev, Distemper of the Blood, Magma Spary, Lay Bare Heart and one Archfiend of Ifnir.
>>
>>53700113
because decks like zombies revolve around vomiting their hand as early as possible. you're only helping them when they will never have more than 2 cards in hand.
>>
>>53701197
Yeah I was playing around with the idea of a Hazoret in there somewhere. And I think I forgot to post I have 2 Cathartic Reunion in my current deck but might change it to just Tormenting Voice.
>>
>>53700829
Too clunky and unfocused.
What's your budget? If you don't have much cash to burn I'd go monored. Drop invigorated rampage, distemper, and sideboard magma spray.
Pick up Ahncrop Crasher, Cartouches, Shocks, possibly Incendiary Flows. Soulscar Mage, Consuming Fervor (Or maybe Skin Invasion), Keys to the City, and a Hazoret or two if you can swing her.
If you have more money I can give you a list I've had a good deal of success with.
>>53700113
Because it's a pure anti-control card and UR control can ill afford to lose sideboard slots to a mirror.
>>
>>53703557
It might seem that way, but I made it specifically to combat the decks I expect to see. I used to run a UR counterburn kind of thing, but I typically get screwed once something slips past my counterspells and stuff. The 1-drops, Magma Sprays and mainboard hand-hate prevents me from getting overwhelmed right away. I'm not too sure about the enchantment buffs...too worried about the 2-for-1.
>>
File: Mah name is Spike.jpg (32KB, 255x361px) Image search: [Google]
Mah name is Spike.jpg
32KB, 255x361px
Also looking for input, went to my first mtg event with the glorybringer/trueheart promo thing, 1/3 with a WG exert deck... to be expected, there were too many blue control decks for my liking. So with my limited cards of Amonkhet sets I have been trying to mix ways to counteract control while having power to clear wide threats. So I changed my tactics to an WR heck and back deck.

x4 Sacred Cat
x4 Anointer priest
x2 Unwavering Initiate
x3 Bloodrage Brawler
x4 Trueheart Duelist
x2 Hazoret the Fervent
x3 Oketra's Attendant
x2 Angel of Sanctions
x2 Cast out
x4 Magma Spray
x2 Tormenting Voice
x3 Sweltering Suns
x3 Embalmers Tools
x22 lands (12P/10M split)
>>
>>53704210
so how exactly is your deck supposed to win?

most of your guys just come back as small stat beaters that will be ignored, angel and hazoret are the only things that really do much, your non creatures look good though but you shouldn't be paying hazorets mana cost for a 1/3 zombie token, embalmers tools also kinda sucks.
You need to cast atleast 3 embalms for it to even give you any value and the mill effect is useless you make a mill deck with it.
>>
Hey guys look at my shit deck
2 Mausoleum Wanderer EMN
2 Village Messenger SOI
2 Baral, Chief of Compliance AER
2 Curious Homunculus EMN
2 Heart-Piercer Manticore AKH
4 Mercurial Geists EMN
3 Built to Smash KLD
4 Fling AKH
3 Cancel AKH
3 Slip Through Space OGW
3 Insult AKH
3 Renegade Map AER
2 Rhonas's Monument AKH
3 Consuming Fervor AKH
10 Island CMA
10 Mountain CMA
2 Spirebluff Canal KLD
>>
Would someone be able to explain the state of the game at the moment? I haven't played for about a decade.

How much roughly would it cost me to get into standard? (In UK) Is it the most affordable format? Has the game turned to shit?

The new art is pretty awful
>>
>>53707534
Formats in a weird place right now
A decent standard deck might be $100 usd
Art is alright at best
>>
>>53707534
>state of the game
Well rn there seems to be several viable decks, the top one being temur (RUG) marvel, which cheats out a huge fatty about turn 4 and wins pretty quickly after that. Look up standard decks from these last couple events. Google is now your bff
>cost
Depends on the deck, but can honestly range from $20-$100+ usd
I'm currently playing semi budget gr pummeler (Google it) and it was a little over $20usd
>>
>>53707782
>>53707881
Oh that's nice I thought it would be more expensive than that
>>
>>53707153
The jist is to have staying power in the game and on the board, Mostly through spell power to control my opponent's board and cast out/angel any big threats away. Offering favorable trades while having the power to bring back creatures late into the game. "Embalmers tool's" is pretty bad, but the idea that sometime later into the game I can bring in "oketra's attendant" for cheaper than it costs, or angel of sanctions one mana more to secure that one big bad. I had "Heart-piercer manticore" in place of "Hazoret" for a time, I felt it didn't offer that much when you don't have a "Bloodrage" or 3/2 "initiate", but I switched due to how often I saw how useful "Hazoret" could be to a deck that isn't afraid or is losing too much to discard a creature. I personally am not a fan of the 1/3 priest, and am debating on switching them for "Nimble blade", keeping the 2 drop slot and allowing it to survive sweltering suns.

Most of this comes from playing vs 3 U/B varients with cyclers, gearhulk, where I get 0 value for my 5 cost that gets countered by a 1-2 drop... At least with embalm I can bring them back and they need to waste more resources on the same card, while having the ability to remove a gearhulk from the game. I have thought about combat tricks like "in oketras name" for some powerful pump regardless, and having a few fliers in the back are always good.
I am new to the game, so I may not be looking at win con, but that is why I want to tweak in anything that could help while keeping it on a low-average budget while bringing something different to the table besides blue control and marvel...
>>
Could someone help me make some tweaks to my deck before FNM? I've done pretty okay with it before (top 4), but last week was absolutely terrible trying to run this deck.
https://deckstats.net/deck-13317928-b52968a08539bd0838092e065c65fcd4.html

My biggest concern is the land base. To start, do I have enough lands?
I usually don't have a problem getting mana screwed outright, but my brother told me that 24 lands might not be enough. I do however get color screwed out of black a lot. Should I swap a forest for a swamp?

I'm not a huge fan of Splendid Agony or Crocodile of the Crossing either, but I'm not sure what to use in their place or if I should replace them at all since I need -1/-1 counter generation.

The deck originally ran 4 grasp of darkness, 2 in the main and 2 in the side, but I replaced the mainboard ones with pushes and just got the 3rd one the other day. Any suggestions on what to do with that?
>>
File: land check.png (160KB, 319x205px) Image search: [Google]
land check.png
160KB, 319x205px
>>53710211
21 is a baseline, but I have been using this to success. Count up ALL your cost of cards in your deck and divide by 60(deck count) and match number as you can. X cost just put them as the lowest cost you can pay
>>
>>53710626
Looks like deckstats did that for me so 2.21 average should put me at 24. I'll just swap a forest for a swamp then and see how that works in some practice hands
>>
>>53711077
Uhhh doing the calculation you have a fairly cheap deck cmc wise, your total cmc I 83 I believe and means 19-20 lands can do you, you really don't want you mana flooded.
>>
>>53712760
Sorry 84 cmc, idk what the 2.21 means
15,6,8,4,2,2,6,8,12,8,4,3,6 if my cmc is right
>>
>>53711077
>>53710211
Oh man I'm retarded. I have 22 lands in my maindeck. I kept counting the deserts for some reason.
>>53712760
Considering westvale only makes colorless and I have to pay mana for stuff like sniper and key to the city, should I still cut a land or two?
>>
Are 'discard everything, splendid reclamation, repeat ad infinitum' decks all the rage now? Because I've seen a lot of people jacking themselves off on the other side of the table this week.
>>
>>53713319
You also hve to weigh that you have initate producing mana herself, that is your call honestly, you making up for the mana theough the deck could allow you to put in more down the road
>>
>>53713695
It's something different...
>>
>>53710211
You could consider cutting 3 or 4 lands and playing a playset of Traverse the Ulvenwald. It looks like it's already pretty easy for you to turn on delirium between Concoction, Key, and Noose Constrictor, and in the early game you can just Traverse for a land on turn 1. If you do decide to play Traverse, I would also run around 3 copies of Evolving Wilds to help enable it.
>>
>>53714330
Minor correction: I was recommending that you cut 3 or 4 lands when I though you were running 24. With a playset of Traverse the Ulvenwald, I would probably start at 20 lands, and then you could go up to 21 or down to 19 from there.
>>
I'm thinking investing in esper vehicles but I don't know of i should do it?
>>
>>53714330
Its not an adjustment I can make immediately but I'll think about it. I'm kind of iffy on dropping 20 bucks on cards that are going to rotate in a few months though
>>
>>53708185
So what other guys forgot to mention is that 4 whole sets are rotating out in the fall which is why things are so cheap right now.
If you're okay with playing kitchen table after those cards rotate out then that's fine or just invest in anything KAL onward.

>>53709856
I think sacred cat/bloodrage brawler/hazoret and angel are all pretty good. anointer priest is also okay. maybe put in something like ahn-crop crasher and fit heart-piercer back in with maybe an agressive buff spell in place of embalmers tools.
Because your guys only come back once you need to really get a lot done with them in that one revive.
The secret to beating control is you kill it before they get enough land to cast much you're on the right track with this deck it just needs more action.
>>
Hey guys, 40kfag looking to start magic here. I'm running down my local store to ask about the scene this weekend and I'll talk to the staff more but I wanted to get an idea of what shit is.

The guys in the last thread sent me some videos on how the game and formats work.

I like the feel of old fashion gothic horror stuff so I'm thinking of running a black deck and from what I've read I feel like it'd gel well with how I played Zombie Decks in Yugioh as a kid.

If I wanted to play a deck featuring mainly black cards what intro packs would be good for me? I generally have no clue what I should be looking at and I can't find a good website with all the intro packs on them listed, some seem to have some that others don't.

Thanks for any help guys.
>>
>>53713695
How about discard, shadow of grave, discard, shadow of grave, fateful showdown

Its a grixis combo for the ages
>>
>>53715057
intro packs kind of suck. my suggestion is to get something like cockatrice or forge and just use them as big databases for deck building.
Zombies are pretty top tier right now so they're a bit on the more expensive end for good decks right now. (which is still like around $100 and isn't bad)
>>
>>53715057
So you wanted to play standard then or just casually until you get the hang of things?
I only ask because the gothic horror set is leaving standard at the end of september and I don't know if you want to buy cards that you wont be able to take to FNM in a few months.

If you don't mind the set rotating, I'd say pick up pic related. Its Black/Blue (I'm not sure if they make mono color starter decks anymore) but it has a zombie theme throughout.

You can see the decklist here if you scroll down to the one labeled "Shallow Graves"
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/eldritch-moon-intro-pack-decklists-2016-07-13

That being said, I'd avoid getting in the habit of buying intro packs since they usually aren't very good. If you're brand new its probably fine since its only like 15 bucks.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170609-161507.png (328KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170609-161507.png
328KB, 1080x1920px
>>53715057
First off dude, don't crack packs hoping to pull a specific card. They help build up trades but that's about it.
Secondly, here's a random black zombie list. Google and YouTube will help you out a lot.
>>
>>53715334
OK, I have 0 clue what that is but I'll ask the store guys about it tomorrow I guess. Cheers anon and that deck is actually a lot cheaper than I thought it would be, I guess GW has fucked me so hard this seems cheap.

>>53715352
Damn, love how that one looks. I'd like to have something I could use in Standard when I get used to the rules though. I might just get it to learn though, cheers anon.

>>53715383
Thanks for the advice anon, I'll get youtubing.
>>
>>53715504
It will still be usable until Sept 29th. It will be shit but it's usable. Even if you're loaded I'd hold off at least a little bit before you go all in on a netdeck. Once you're confident in how the game works then go all out.
>>
>>53714852
Thanks for the advice, I am just worried of having too many 4+ cost creatures makes it a mid range deck that doesn't have the power to shut down control fast enough. And what are thoughts on oketra's attendant, on paper she seems like a great card but isn't mentioned much?
>>
>>53714795
Traverse is almost guaranteed to hold value past rotation.
>>
There is a Standard league coming up near me, where you can use any currently standard-legal packs to add to your pool.

What is the best set to go with? I want to say Shadows, but I could be wrong.
>>
>>53716041
oketra's attendant is almost good, its embalm cost is fine but idk why the fuck it cost 5 to hard cast it, and again it doesn't really "do" much, most all embalm decks don't run her because she's just too expensive for no actual effect.

You could also swap to W/B embalm if you're really wanting to do a lot with the mechanic, if you just want a W/R deck with evasion maybe make embalm a fall back plan with some aggression and the ability to bounce back your board from nukes as the main point.

Really your best bet is to just play (casual first not a tournament you paid for) and see what works and what doesn't.
Try showing up to FMN, play people before the tournament and while they are inbetween rounds.
>>
Hey guys, I want to build a competitive deck for standard. Whats the safest bet?
>>
>>53724129
>yo, how to netdeck?
Just try Aetherworks Marvel
>>
>>53699837
I'm running 6 pump spells and 2 flings, 4x Invigorated Rampage and 2x Larger Than Life
>>
Played MTG casually years ago, want to get into it, discovered I actually have a FLGS and they do Friday night magic.

Where should I start?
>>
>>53729053
By opening the door
>>
>>53700829
i'd pick transgress the mind instead of Harsh Scrutiny/Lay Bare the Heart

also hazoret and maybe lightning axe
>>
>>53725126
>>53724129
marvel is gay af

play UR control or GB snek if you want to win without being hated by 90% of your opponents
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gotta-lotta-energy/

First time building a standard deck, how'd I do?
>>
>>53730723
>Gotta Lotta Energy
hehe
>>
>>53730723
>No removal
>No card draw
>Almost no ramp
Looks like it will lose to interaction very easily, or if the other deck curves out more cleanly.
Your giant costed cards are almost never going to resolve due to their costs alone.
You should add some removal spells for creatures and artifacts. I'd recommend getting some ways to draw cards as well so you don't run out of cards quickly.
>>
File: Cartouches.jpg (76KB, 265x576px) Image search: [Google]
Cartouches.jpg
76KB, 265x576px
>>53723894
yea, will probably switch them out for 2 more angel of sanctions for more power exile power for the same price.
I assume you mean white/blue embalm? because black has 0 embalm as much as you would think it would have being the ZOMBIE archetype... but I would love to, but my collection is currently amonkhet only (first set) and I feel that red is needed to deal with the wide zombies and a brood monitor-anointed procession deck... and sweltering suns is the way to answer it personally.
>>
>>53729053
Idk man relearn the rules and shit, Google the top decks rn, watch the pros play, pick a deck you like and learn it.
>>
File: 1496649804146.jpg (27KB, 500x480px) Image search: [Google]
1496649804146.jpg
27KB, 500x480px
>missing Saturday night standard because of girlfriends extended family having a baby shower
I just want to play with my new deck
>>
File: 1489172067836.gif (474KB, 320x251px) Image search: [Google]
1489172067836.gif
474KB, 320x251px
>>53735827
all the power to ya brother
>>
>>53733770
What do you cards do you rec?
>>
>>53736786
If you want to stick to G and making energy, I'd look into electro static pummeler builds. It's the only thing that uses energy besides Aetherworks Marvel.
>>
File: 1486820332348.jpg (43KB, 659x570px) Image search: [Google]
1486820332348.jpg
43KB, 659x570px
>go to standard show down
>dodge marvel fags like a black guy dodging his kids
>go 5-0 in swiss and beat out 4c vehicles in the finals
got a chandra in my showdown pack and a nissa in one of my amonkhet packs, thank you based BG and vehicles for putting bad marvel players on suicide watch
>>
File: Herald of Serra.jpg (62KB, 388x314px) Image search: [Google]
Herald of Serra.jpg
62KB, 388x314px
>>53707534
Like this guy, except I haven't played since Urza's Saga came out.
>>
File: IMG_0469.jpg (45KB, 472x472px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0469.jpg
45KB, 472x472px
>>53739019
Rudy, is that you?
>>
>>53739019
Mana Burn is gone. Planeswalkers are a thing. The art is fine, but divisive (I like it tho) and Standard is funny right now, but I'm having fun with budget alternative decks.

I guess you find yourself at home in Modern or even Legacy tho
>>
>>53738501
My LGS has a bunch of showdown packs but never advertises the event, so no one ever shows except me and another guy.
I'm pretty sure they just bust open all the packs.
>>
>>53725884
No blossoming defense?
Currently running 4 built to smash, 4 blossoming defense, 1 invigorated rampage, 3 larger than life, 3 uncaged fury, and 1 fling
>>
Starting standard again so going to pick up a net deck to get used to the meta. Which decks should I consider picking up? Don't want to run marvelas to not get hated by everyone from the getgo. What decks are strong in the meta but are also able to take some games off of marvel?
>>
Anyone know of any good guides for people trying to get into deck crafting? What are good stats for specific mana costs, what makes underpowered cards viable because of their effects, what makes strong cards weak because of the curve, etc. Basically, what makes a card good?
>>
>>53746973
I'd say the two hardest parts of deckbuilding are coming up with a concept (i.e. - what does your deck do? does it win with a combo? does it control the game and play big threats? does it get a card advantage and grind it out?) and then sticking to that concept. some concepts won't be good but a deck that does SOMETHING, and ONLY THAT SOMETHING and isn't just a hodgepodge of decent cards or half-baked ideas will be more fun to play and likely will be more successful than a deck that doesn't.
>>
>>53746973
http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/frank-analysis-how-many-colored-mana-sources-do-you-need-to-consistently-cast-your-spells/

Lands are pretty fundamental.
>>
What makes attune with aether only $1? It seems broken as fuck.
>>
>>53747192
I'm guessing because Marvel doesn't really care too much about coloured energy?
>>
>>53713862
What he said. Typically you can subtract half a land from your total for each of your dorks.
>>
>>53747192
its a common from a recent set that's really only used in standard, its surprising its even as pricey as it is really. if your LGS is selling it for a dollar that seems like a steep markup, its .75 in mine (though I live in a big city with many nearby so that makes things a bit cheaper)
>>
>>53747192
It's 1$ common card in a set that is and will stay in print for a while. I wouldnt call that cheap.
It also doesnt see much play in other formats than standard since Energy is a pretty parasitic mechanic which doesnt cling well if your deck isnt full of it. At which point youre just playing mostly recent KLD/AER cards in a Format which has much more broken cards
>>
>>53747192
Is it? I don't really understand the intricacies of magic's history enough to know if a one-mana fixer in green is busted
>>
>>53747633
It's super strong. It lets you play really greedy colours very consistently and it fuels an energy engine which is one of strongest things you can be doing even without Marvel.
>>
If you play Metallic Mimic and name Zombie, when it enters your graveyard, does it still count as a Zombie?
>>
If you're playing Temur Aetherworks and you choose to muligan and your scry card is Ulamog, is the better play to draw it or put it on the bottom of your deck?
>>
>>53748555
Ask yourself if you want a card you're not going to be able to play until turn 7-8 in your hand from the beginning, or put it in your deck will your marvel will then have a better chance of getting a hit.
>>
>>53748181
No, when metallic mimic hits the graveyard it becomes a shapeshifter again. The effect is only active when its on the board.
>>
>>53746904
>I want the best deck that isn't marvel but is able to beat marvel...
>paradox
>netdecker
If you can't make your own deck, don't come back... We don't need anymore copycats that just make the game bland
>>
>>53748808
>>53748181
I misread that. It will enter the graveyard as a zombie, but once its in there it will be a shapeshifter
So if there is some "when a zombie dies" effect, it should still work with mimic if it dies.
>>
>>53748629
It'd probably be better to put it on the bottom and wait for a card like Attune with Aether to potentially shuffle it back into Aetherworks range.
>>
>>53748892
Going to come back and exclusively play Marvel just because of you
>>
>>53750683
Marvel isn't much fun to play, either. The only folks I know that play it are the type that want to win at any cost.
>>
>>53748892
>Soccer is so bland now. We should have less winning strategies and more creativity. Why would you have a defence if you can just put everyone on offence to make it more exciting. How dare people use winning strategies and make tweaks on them!!!!
>>
File: Image (1).png (132KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image (1).png
132KB, 223x311px
Rate my shit deck, I'm new to magic

2 Bloodlust Inciter
3 Thraben Inspector
4 Thalia’s Lieutenant
4 Glorybound Initiate
3 Devoted Cropmate
3 Ahn-Crop Crasher
3 Combat Celebrant
4 Glorybringer

3 Always Watching
3 Djeru’s Resolve
3 Blessed Alliance
2 Cast Out

4 Needle Spires
4 Inspiring Vantage
7 Mountain
7 Plains

Sideboard

2 Haunted Cloak
1 Always Watching
1 Ahn Crop Crasher
4 Gideon’s Intervention
2 Cast Out
2 Magma Spray
1 Shock
2 Flame Lash

pls gib advize
>>
>>53750890
Your deck lacks focus and your shit is all over the place. Your three drops are overloaded, which means your deck is going to be slower than you think it'll be. Combat Celebrant is also pretty bad overall because unless you can give it haste, it's going to die instantly. It's also a win-more card as if you're in a position where you can use it advantageously, you're already in a winning position.
Djeru's resolve is a poor combat trick. Blessed alliance is better in the sideboard.

Drop the inciters, ahn-crop crashers, two glorybringers, add in more humans, 22 lands isn't enough if you're going to be running five drops.
>>
I've gone into 4 colors because I have lost control of my life

ESPER CYCLES

CREATURES - 7
-------
2x ENIGMA DRAKE
2X CURATOR OF MYSTERIES
1x KEFNET THE MINDFUL
2X TORRENTIAL GEARHULK

ARTIFACT - 2
------
2X METALSPINNER'S PUZZLEKNOT

INSTANTS - 23
-------
2x NEGATE
2X ESSENCE SCATTER
2X REDUCE///RUBBLE
3X FAILURE///COMPLY
4X CENSOR
3X HEIROGLYPHIC ILLUMINATION
2X PULL FROM TOMORROW
3X FATAL PUSH
2X UNLICENSED DISINTEGRATION

SORCERIES - 1
-------
1X YAHENNI'S EXPERTISE

ENCHANTMENTS - 4
-------
4X CAST OUT

LAND - 23
-------
2X FETID POOLS
2X CANYON SLOUGH
1X SPIREBLUFF CANAL
3X EVOLVING WILDS
3X IRRIGATED FARMLAND
1X CONCEALED COURTYARD
3X ISLAND
2X SWAMP
2X MOUNTAIN
3X PLAINS

SIDEBOARD
-------
1X LOST LEGACY
1X GIDEON'S INTERVENTION
1X CANYON SLOUGH
2X GLORYBRINGER
2X DISAPPEARING ACT
2X MAGMA SPRAY
2X SWELTERING SUNS
2X AUTHORITY OF THE CONSULS
2X FORSAKE THE WORLDLY

thoughts? this has been the slow evolution of my esper cylcing deck, now it's just a 4ccontrol with cycling being a useful tool
>>
>>53750683
and when it is banned monday I will laugh harder
>>
>>53750745
>>53750745
You're comparing apples to oranges mate, if 40% of the game is one fucking thing there is a problem....
Soccer is a test of physical skills, any autist with the money can play marvel.
Marvel is built to do unfair things, there is one thing if you get wiped by a wide board, or good control, but when you can do things you are allowed to play a 10 drop on turn 4, you are mental.
Enjoy the ban on marvel Monday.
>>
>>53751886
Would you rather have a format with Marvel that makes up 35% of the metagame and then a bunch of different decks beneath it. Most of it being different aggro decks that can beat Marvel if it doesn't curve out perfectly.

Or would you rather have a two deck format between Mardu and Zombies.
>>
as a new magic player, how can i tell which cards are good?
>>
>>53752959
experience
>>
>>53752552

Dude that's retarded. The reason why 35% of the decks in standard are Temur Marvel is because every other deck has to main or sideboard cards that can disrupt the marvel combo.

If it were to be removed, it would allow players to try something different and help the meta settle into something that isn't so heavily weighted towards a single deck. A duopoly is still better than a monopoly.

Either way, you only have a few more months of being one of the big boys at fnm. Yes it's that fucking obvious when you defend it as shittily as you did.
>>
>>53752959
check their cost online
>>
File: liliana.png (253KB, 375x524px) Image search: [Google]
liliana.png
253KB, 375x524px
>>53752977
i was opening packs today and i pulled this and dont know if its good or not
>>
File: 1480784864809.png (116KB, 209x268px) Image search: [Google]
1480784864809.png
116KB, 209x268px
>>53752552
or have a metagame where you have to play the curve like it is supposed to be done.
emrakul, ulamog, soon to be bolas, when is it going to be a problem? when is the card that is the ROOT of the problem going to be killed instead of CHOPPING away at the trunk, it just grows back again, we have seen it, are seeing it, and will see it as a very stale standard. feladar got banned and that deck was at tops never touched 40% of the metagame.
Same decks= bland games of mirror luck
luck =/= fun
Removing marvel won't fix standard 100%, there will always be a deck below that will emerge top dog like always, but it will be healthier than what we have, and it pains me you can't see how cancerous marvel is atm, players hate it, pros hate it, and if people find it is that or losing, they will leave, and we don't have the room for more people to leave when wizards can't get new players in their spot...
>>
File: captura.jpg (46KB, 816x287px) Image search: [Google]
captura.jpg
46KB, 816x287px
>>53753302
me again. i just won a deck builders toolkit for $15
>>
>>53753302
it is the 2nd most expensive card in the set
mah boi Rhonas holds that spot now
$10.50.
Only reason I think she isn't played is the other liliana the last hope is better and cheaper.
I can't believe people haven't tried to abuse her +1 adn -3 to throw out an ulamog and get him out with her...
>>
>>53753419
edit: cheaper as in 3 drop vs 5 drop
>>
>>53753182
>>53753330
you guys don't fucking remember the pro tour when people were speculating how many mardu decks would pop up and top 8? People were seriously considering 5-6 Mardu decks to top 8. PPTQs and the Atlanta Open was dominated by Mardu.

Mardu shits on everything that tries to play fair except for Zombies. You can't play a control deck, you can't play anything remotely slow. There are no aggro decks that is as good as Mardu and the only deck that can go extremely wide to beat Mardu is Zombies.

All banning Marvel would do is just get rid of a combo deck that can win on turn 4. It wouldn't improve standard at all because standard was shit before Marvel became the best deck.

If anything Wizards is better off just unbanning everything and let it be a shitstorm. Aggro decks get Copter and Reflector Mage, Marvel gets Emrakul, Saheeli gets its combo.
>>
>>53753479
>A duopoly is still better than a monopoly.
couldn't say it better myself, let mardu and zombies duke it out then better than one to rule them all we have going right now... and the reason mardu was garbage at pro was nobody thought zombies would come out of nowhere and didn't have answers for it over mardu coverage...
>assuming i don't want emrakul unbanned cus marvel was the problem in the first place...
>>
>>53753351
>$9.99 shipping
>>
If you go to FNM to play standard are there usually prizes?
>>
>>53754289
yea, prize packs usually, sometimes a playmat depending
>>
>>53754289
At my LGS we get showdown packs and a pack per win, 6 packs or credit for 3-0.
>>
SCG Classic top 8 decks in order (~100 players)

Mardu Blue
Jeskai Vehicles
Temur Marvel
Temur Marvel
Temur Energy
Temur Dynavolt
Dimir Dynavolt
Mono Black Zombies

Rest of the top 16 were 7 different decks, two of them were Marvel.
>>
>>53755790
so 1/4 of it was marvel decks? or of the 16 there were 2 marvel?
>>
>>53756155
It would be 4 out of 16
>>
>>53755790
>Mardu Blue
>Mardu fucking blue
CALL IT FOUR COLOUR GOODSTUFF REEEEEE
>>
Quick question
can I activate the pump ability on longtusk cub and bristling hydra at instant speed?
>>
>>53756246
Yes and fuck you if you do this.
>>
>>53756246
yes. unless it is stated otherwise, all abilities are instant speed
>>
>Literally just need a marvel ban to make the format playable
>>
>>53756174
4/16 or 1/4 or 25% take your pick...
>>
>>53756341
>fuck you if you play the cards as intended
>>
>>53756341
no different than playing an instant when they don't block your creature
>>
>>53756409
Well I'm sorry but a creature that can invalidate a burn spell makes trying to kill bristling hydra impossible, especially when it pumps as well as getting hexproof when it's convenient.

By running stuff like that you're actively contributing to the degradation of this game as Wizards goes out of its way to make Blue Red and Black objectively worse next to the unstoppable juggernauts of White and Green, which MaRo is going out of his way to ensure that his reign of creatures: The Tappening reign on forever.

I'll consider Bristling Hydra, or any of the hexproof cards fair once again when we get a new storm deck in Standard.
>>
>>53699837
I run a set of uncaged fury.
Because turn 3 swinging for 10 with brawler tends to upset people.
>>
>>53757023
And how are you attacking on turn 3 with a brawler while also casting a 3 mana spell on the same turn?
>>
>>53757055
Brawlers a 2 drop nigga
>>
>>53757072
Fuck, I was thinking Pummeler for some reason.
>>
>>53757114
Pummeler Pummeler Pummeler
2 card combo swing for 20 turn 4
Built that deck long ago. My best standard deck.
I won a mirror match with it at a real event. Proud of myself.
Mirror match with Pummeler is a scary, scary rocket race. I pulled another greenhulk for it. Might toss in my spare Rhonas. I have 1 Lightning Runner because it's so damned funny and not hard at all to pull off.
>>
>>53750890
where your metallic mimics at homie?
>>53752959
you can't until you play more, even expensive cards can be garbage.
>>53757148
What's a non shit pummeler list, I wanna meme on fools.
>>
>>53757748
Metallic Mimic is a trap in humans
>>
>>53700321
My playgroup hates to fuck with my Allies deck - too many Kor Ally tokens pop out at 3/2 or 5/2and it's so much fun to see the sweat pouring out when the Blademaster shows up... although it's usually too late one way or the other by the time he's out and ready to swing.
>>
>>53757777
not if you call female.
>>
Has anyone recently played against decks that absolutely curb stomp you but you're having too much fun to care? A guy recently was playing an Abzan token deck, the key features were Anointer Priest, Zulaport Cutthroat, Hidden Stockpile and Anointed Procession. At one point he had two priests out and was getting 4 tokens per turn.
>>
>>53707534
>>53739019

Combat damage no longer uses the stack
>>
>>53753419
>Why no Lilliana Ulamog cheese???
Because it's worse then marvel. Black is a weak color in the current meta. 5 mana is more then 4. Temur is insane right now. Top 6 cards is more consistent then trying to get a mog in your yard. Lil only hits creatures, Marvel can hit walkers.
>>
First plane with gate watch and no vampires.
>>
>>53757001
White isn't even ran that much, it''s mostly the retarded dwarf and a couple of singular cards that are good. Hydra sees fringe play, and there's nothing wrong with buffing other things at instant speed
>>
>>53757001
this is bait right?

teemur marvel and teemur energy are top tier right now, UR control is a highly played deck, and black sees play in everything from snek decks to energy and vehicles

just because your lgs has a certain meta or you can't git gud doesn't mean you're right
>>
>>53760602
>talks about black
>forgets to mention ZOMBOs
>>
>>53760611
zombies is passe
>>
Why don't people like blue?
>>
>>53763562
Because everyone has had a bad experience with an allow deck
>>
>>53763562
because they're bad at playing magic

little nublets
>>
Honestly,

Because blue has the some of the most powerful/important abilities in its "slice" of the pie that no one else can have access to, but it itself also has its fingers in everyone else's color pie too
>>
File: draw, pass turn.gif (71KB, 320x248px) Image search: [Google]
draw, pass turn.gif
71KB, 320x248px
>>53763562
Simplest answer, it's either because blue gets to do more stuff, (there are as many strategies in blue than across white, red, and green, combined) and they don't like that a colour gets so many different things or can't deal with offbeat strategies.

Alternatively they placed against a smug cunt who gets off on making the opponent play "Mother, may I?" one too many times.
>>
>>53760156
>Retarded dwarf
...Sram?
>>
>>53764081
Toolcraft Exemplar
>>
>>53764132
What's wrong with Toolcraft?
>>
How should I organize my collection in Excel?
>>
>>53763755
>>53763983
It's not 2007

or even 2012
>>
>>53764231
He asked the question, he got the answer. People don't hate Blue in standard.
>>
File: Facing a Blue control deck.png (340KB, 858x360px) Image search: [Google]
Facing a Blue control deck.png
340KB, 858x360px
>>53763562
Player: i will play my creature
Blue: Nope
Player: ok... I will play a spell
Blue: No!
Player: Planeswalker time?
Blue: try again kid...
Player: well at least his spells are used up
Blue: Gearhulk
Player: counter control
Blue: counter, counter control
And this is coming from a new player that played 1 standard event... and I already dispise blue as a color.
>>
>>53764208
by sets perhaps?
I have mine set up by:
name, color, cost, rarity, type, card #, amount, foils, and misc notes
>>
>>53764887
Don't let it disparage you, anon. Gearhulk is, first off, pretty bonkers. More importantly however, you'll quickly figure out how your deck is able to play right through control's crap, as sometimes all it takes it to have one single card slip past the counters to put them completely off their game, and then you can punish them for not doing so.
>>
>>53765121
yea, and people also recommended aggro is a great counter, but with fatal push, early aggro is countered pretty hard and censor as well makes aggro difficult as well :/
>>
File: twice the value.jpg (1KB, 125x107px) Image search: [Google]
twice the value.jpg
1KB, 125x107px
>>53765121
also why i am making a W/R embalm deck,
>>53704210
embalm can't be counter spelled ;)
"Embalm is an activated ability you can activate if the creature card with embalm is in your graveyard. Notably you're not casting the card from the graveyard, so things that counter spells won't work against the embalm ability. "
>>
>>53765618
>embalm deck
*sides in magma sprays*
nothing personnel, crop-mate
>>
File: 31.jpg (55KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
31.jpg
55KB, 312x445px
>>53765618
It should be noted that people do run Disallow so you can still get got.
>>
>>53765618
>>53765798
also the exile cat, scarab feast, a pretty good amount of anti-graveyard tech in this block.
>>
>>53765618
>emablm
>resolves
>end step, fatal push :^)
>>
File: 1495337070161.jpg (24KB, 600x471px) Image search: [Google]
1495337070161.jpg
24KB, 600x471px
>>53765815
fuck, well back to square one
>>
>>53765798
here is a magma spray question - can you use it to cheat around indestructible?

say I magma spray my opponent's rhonas, and then cast unlicensed disintegration on that same rhonas. since it would be destroyed as the effect of a spell, would it instead be exiled because of magma spray's effect?

this is probably a dumb question but in a desperate situation to stabilize i'd like to know the answer
>>
>>53766251
>2-for-1ing yourself to stabilize against the chase mythics
>okay I put Rhonas into exile
>I play Rhonas
L
E
L
>>
>>53766251
Unlicensed Disintegration won't destroy the Rhonas because he's indestructible.

But yeah if you Magma Spray it and then kill it with something that does do the job (like uhh two Grasp of Darkness*) then yeah it will get exiled.
>>
>>53766429
rhonas is a 2 of in most decks that run him, and that 4 mana doesn't necessarily lock me out of countering him when he is played again.

and at any rate, I just picked rhonas out of thin air as an indestructible dude - it could be ulamog or kefnet or any other playable indestructible thing. I just want to know if it works that way
>>
>>53766632
4 mana isn't the problem, card advantage is.

Other than the fact that you can't destroy an indestructible creature with unlicensed disintegration as it says "Destroy"
>>
>>53744347
I don't see why you'd ever run 3 larger than life and 1 invigorated rampage, instead of just 4 invigorated rampages.
>>
>>53766918
Because I had 3 larger than life and 1 invigorated rampage and I'm cheap
But I do agree invigorated rampage is miles better
>>
>>53763983
Wew lad. I lurned that second one the hard way as a newer player. Joke was on him though I beat him and his playset of torrential gearhulks with mono red weenies. Boy was salty af
>>
>>53768263
>play blue
>want to play interactive game where decisions matter
>lose to "play mans go face" quite often throughout the history of MTG
>still demonized because occasionally control or mill is strong enough to be comparable to combos and creature-based decks and that's no fun :,^(
>>
Just getting back to Magic after 2 years or so hiatus. Are any precons worth getting?
>>
>>53768852
If you're an EDHfag then almost all of the constructed decks are worth buying at MSRP.
>>
>>53769031
EDH was probably my least favorite format
>>
>>53768774
>want to play interactive game where decisions matter
Countering everything isn't an interactive game. Neither is burn. Nobody pretends that Play Mans Go Face is interesting or fun, but it's necessary to stop decks like you from crushing 'Play Mans that do cool things that go face in a slightly slower way' decks, or those that are backed up by a compliment of spells. I'm not even defending that one way or another, my deck has been ThermoThing for the longest time, but there's a big difference between an interactive combo or something, and draw-go allowance decks.

But either way, it could be worse. There's always some asshole that plays self-masturbatory a 10-minute-single-turn-dig-for-cards-until-you-win-combo.
>>
>>53769255
Well they're the only sealed product worth buying ever seeing as how they discontinued the event decks 3 blocks ago.
>>
>>53768774
In my defense, I'm bad at magic and winning like a retard is still winning. Plus people lose their shit when you play Lupine Prototype on turn 2
>>
>>53769385
Nobody can counter everything. Having to judge if your opponent is baiting your force of will, or if that is actually a worthy threat, is pretty much the definition of interactive.
>>
>>53769971
Point being that the only creature strategy that actually works against you is the ultra-fast brainless ones.

Actually does the R/W equipment deck still work? I remember that being super duper quick, cheap to build, and a fuckload of fun. It's about to rotate, unfortunately, but if it still works I'd love to give it a try.
>>
File: die.png (254KB, 332x361px) Image search: [Google]
die.png
254KB, 332x361px
>>53764887
>>53769385
>>53768263
You are the cancer that is killing magic
>>
>>53763562
>>53770689
>>
>>53765121
>as sometimes all it takes it to have one single card slip past the counters to put them completely off their game, and then you can punish them for not doing so.
Will you control faggots FUCK OFF with this lie?
>Play against esper dragons in khans
>They counter all my shit
>What little shit they can't counter they just spot removal and/or boardwipe ( You know a deck is dumb when they will literally play Languish against 1 creature because they know you can't do shit to take advantage of the inefficient )
>They wasted a Languish on one creature, tapped out. On your turn you finally play a creature that can do something.
>Nope, baby jace just flashbacks ALL the remove they have already used if they feel like they don't want to counterspell your stuff that turn
>>
So who's excited for July 14? Anybody attending local events? Did they release a preview yet?
>>
>>53770904
Just a heads up, Baby Jace is Jace Beleren, not Vryn's Prodigy.
>>
>>53770689
Playing vs player both playing game vs one person is allowed to play until they get game winning combo while the opponent can't play anything...
Who is the cancer again?
>>
>>53771755
The one not playing a deck that actually intends to interact with its opponent. If you show up with a deck like >>53750890 you aren't intending to play a serious game with your opponent. You're just throwing whatever shit you drew onto the table and swinging. If your deck doesn't do anything other than put creatures on the field and turn them sideways, what's the point of even playing?
>>
>>53772848
The game isn't about interaction or rping as honorable duelling wizards moron, its a game where you can win or lose. Turning creatures sideways wins the game, faffing around counting mana to cast glimmer on my end step does not.
>>
>>53772848
I think you'd like casual more than competitive, friend
>>
>>53772848
20 hp, creatures sideways do that, so fuck if you think control is the only real interaction in the game.
>>
>>53773215
>>53773232
>>53773778
All me, btw
>>
>>53773885
Another case solved! Thank you Mr. Internet Detective!
>>
>>53758991
In my meta niggas would be essence scattering all your shit
>>
Does everyone here buy singles or is everyone try hard?
>>
>>53774383
I don't understand what you're implying here. Are you saying people who buy singles are tryhards or people who don't buy singles are tryhards? Because people who don't buy singles are either fucking dumb and have no idea how to most effectively spend money so they can't be tryhard and people who buy singles are ones who know how to actually play the damn game.
>>
>could spend $100 to get an okay standard deck
>or spend $100 on a budget modern deck that can be upgraded and never rotates
so why do you guys play standard? is modern boring or the power level too high?
>>
>>53774542
sometimes painting with a limited palette can make a more beautiful painting

also i'm just getting back into the game after many years of hiatus so i'm drafting a lot and thus all my cards are standard legal but meh for modern.
>>
>>53774609
This, basically. I'm lucky that I was playing the old mono-white humans deck, so I can upgrade into modern from there.

But sometimes it's fun to actually use the complete breadth of cards currently in Standard in a constructed deck instead of just limiting yourself to drafts.
>>
>>53774459
um i think ill just draft
>>
>>53774542
If you spent $100 on a modern deck, all that's going to happen is you'll 0-2 drop every FNM.

And what the fuck is with all the bitching about control? It's in a weak spot right now in standard. Play decks to your local meta - if you're in a control-heavy environment, main deck more answers to that shit. If your deck is weak to control, bring sideboard answers. Shit ain't hard.
And depending on your deck, you may be naturally weak to control, just like you may be naturally strong against another archetype. It's also stupid to let a single match dictate whether or not you think something is bullshit, especially at a FNM level where everyone is going to be making dumbass plays, yourselves included.

Not just that, but sometimes you draw like shit and the other person gets every answer they need. Sometimes you play like shit, they predict what you're going to do, and act accordingly.

If you find yourself with like a 2-8 record after playing the same control deck and player ten times, take the time to analyze why your deck is getting shit on. Don't get on tilt, don't start raging about how something is OP or bullshit, calm the fuck down and play to the best you can and tinker with your deck to try and cover your weaknesses without changing your game plan too much.

Me and my shitty little deck have dumpstered some control players, other times they shit on me, but more often than not I pull out a win. The zombie matchup is my worst since it's difficult for me to keep the fuckers under wraps while still getting in damage. I'm about 60/40 on marvel, though I don't have enough matches played to say for certain if it's just favorable or it's just them getting bad draws.
>>
>>53774542
Well meme'd friend. Even as someone who plays standard 99.9% of my FNMs, you're going to get ass blasted with $100 in most metas
>>
>>53770076
I've been doing quite well with Jeskai equipment recently. The blue splash is pretty easy, and Metallic Rebuke is silly with spare equipment/clues. I won game day and top 8'd a PPTQ.

Tappedout: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/humans-develop-tools-won-game-day/

4x Toolcraft Exemplar
4x Inventor's Apprentice
4x Thraben Inspector
4x Weapons Trainer
4x Thalia's Lieutenant
2x Pia Nalaar
2x Spell Queller

3x Bone Saw
4x Inventor's Goggles

4x Metallic Rebuke
2x Cast Out

4x Inspiring Vantage
4x Spirebluff Canal
4x Spire of Industry
3x Irrigated Farmland
1x Port Town
5x Plains
2x Mountain

SB:
3x Dusk // Dawn
3x Declaration in Stone
2x Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
2x Chandra, Torch of Defiance
2x Aethersphere Harvester
2x Negate
1x Needle Spires
>>
>>53774768
I mean, I own about half of that. Not sure I want to go in on the really expensive pieces this close to rotation (Gideon), but everything except the landbase I've definitely got in plentiful quantity. I might build a budget version for kicks.

I like the deck name too, thanks anon.
>>
>>53774768
I'd like to play against this deck.
Seems neat.
>>
my local shop doesnt play draft wtf
>>
>>53774825
If you just want to bring the deck to FNM or whatever, you can do fine without the Gideons. In their place, I think I'd put a third Aethersphere Harvester, and maybe a third Pia Nalaar or Spell Queller.

If you don't have the Chandras, you can play Glorybringer instead, as it fills a similar role of a threat that can also kill creatures.
>>
>>53774459
Well, I still think magic players are stuck up so much because they require "value" on cardboard... The point is to play the game, not invest and get your money back out...
>>
>>53774885
Noted. I like Glorybringer, might as well find a reason to play it.
>>
>>53774891
What does buying singles have to do with being a "tryhard" or requiring "value" on cardboard?

The only people who don't buy singles are people who do mass openings to sell product, people who draft, and people who don't know any better.
>>
>>53774719
Never said it was op... But the fact is blue is unfun to play against due to how drawn out games get that make it rare to even play 3 games and the clock ends and how it isn't a game when control works, it I ls how long before blue gets the win combo... And seeing as there is so much cheap removal and counterspell, aggro really isn't that great a counter. And it seems also players say control counters control, which isn't good design wise when a counter is itself...
>>
>>53774880
0 nights of the week? not even at FNM?

that seems so bizarre. do you live in a small town or something?
>>
>>53774960
i looked at the website and they just play standard and modern..
>>
>>53774954
If you're going to time, you, your opponent, or both of you need to quit durdling about so much.

Control decks also don't usually combo win.

What's so unfun about playing against control? Fucking play around their shit. If you're finding everything you do countered or removed, they're either getting the exact draws they need or you're not playing around them.

I'd much rather play against three or four control decks at an FNM than marvel once.

And like I said, if you're having problems with control, bring in sideboard hate or if you play control often, bring in mainboard answers.
>>
is it worth it to buy a deck builders toolkit everytime a new set comes out
>>
>>53775040
Never ever.
>>
>>53775040
defintely not, you can buy a whole playset of commons for the latest set for less than the price of a toolkit
>>
>>53775009
yikes I dunno then anon. find a better lgs I suppose. I'm spoiled because I live in walking distance of one that drafts 4 nights a week and runs standard and modern the remaining days
>>
>>53775105
If all the commons are .10

.40 x ~200 = $80
>>
File: tECiq7s.jpg (14KB, 400x244px) Image search: [Google]
tECiq7s.jpg
14KB, 400x244px
>>53775040
As someone who has bought every year's DBT, if you really really like the DBT box. I guess.

Otherwise, no.
>>
>>53775194
I just looked at completed ebay buy it now listings and I see complete common/uncommon playsets for $40, common playsets at $15-20ish
>>
>>53775040
Is it the deck kit or the bundle that has the double sided tokens included?
>>
>>53775252
My bad. grossly miscalculated. Forgot to factor in mythics and rares
>>
>>53775262
The one with all the lands
>>
>>53775284
Yeah, value in contemporary sets is almost completely focused on chase rares/mythics.

I think Fatal Push is the only uncommon in standard worth more than $2.
>>
File: Censor.jpg (94KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Censor.jpg
94KB, 223x311px
>>53775358
*blocks your path*
>>
>>53775401
censor is right around $2, innit?
>>
>>53775358
>tfw fatal push is a 7 dollar uncommmon.
>>
>>53775518
I wish we had more 7 dollar uncommons, the format might be more interesting.
>>
>>53775586
Why would you want things to be more expensive?

I mean, I get that money = good, but still.
>>
>>53775334
They both have land packs... 3 fullarts as well.. One gets a pack of tokens, I think it may be the bundle for some reason...
>>
>>53775586
Well seeing as standard has been fairly cheap due to how bad the invocations were... And now they are removing them so a base set will be more expensive... :/ oh boy...
>>
File: WoQ7zZCDjD_2018_Releases.gif (457KB, 700x195px) Image search: [Google]
WoQ7zZCDjD_2018_Releases.gif
457KB, 700x195px
I was under the impression that SOI and BFZ rotated out when HoD drops but it looks like I was wrong and now I'm sad.
>>
>>53699837

>tfw I play Colossus-Fling

BBBRRRRRROOOTHERRRRRRRR!

I still don't know why so many people play Aetherworks Marvel, I haven't lost to the deck yet (I have lost to Zombies, though, when I don't draw my sweepers). I really hope they don't ban the deck. They've been fairly easy wins for me so far.
>>
>>53779507
You're playing against literal retards.
>>
File: Image.png (130KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
130KB, 223x311px
BANNED.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/june-13-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-06-13
>>
>>53780680
LOL
>>
>>53780680
Colour me unsurprised.

Considering Kaladesh is legal for more than another year and the deck is basically a block deck it had to go since everyone is sick of it already. Also I'm glad that people are going to have to cast their Nicol Bolases honestly.
>>
>>53780680
>DUDE YOU CAN'T PLAY ANYTHING OTHER THAN CREATURES:THE TAPPENING LMAO
>>
What we learned new so far of Magic digital next today? Nothing!!

REEEEE
>>
>>53781179
Yeah, all the hyping that it is announcement week and they fall pretty flat on the second day.
>>
>>53781179
They're stringing all the announcements along all week.
>>
>>53781195
>>53781211
Now I'm hoping that tomorrow they do announce something relevant, I'm pissed.

I'm hope no1 wasted their hard earned cash on magic duels, what a shitshow, I forgot it existed
>>
>>53781256
I play it regularly but I never spent anything, it's easy enough to farm gold and I've already got enough to buy the next 2 sets.
>>
File: bone browsing.jpg (27KB, 370x229px) Image search: [Google]
bone browsing.jpg
27KB, 370x229px
Now that Marvel is banned, Zombies will become more prominent, which in turn will mean that sweepers will start showing up, even in main decks. Sweltering Suns, Dusk // Dawn, Fumigate...

What can Zombie decks do for anti-sweeping?
>>
>>53781411
Not overextend and keep doing what zombies do, which is coming back from the gy and flood with tokens after a wipe.
>>
How does this impact pummeler decks, if at all?
>>
>>53781450
Pummel will be fine, it's been a solid deck since it was released and it's only getting better.
>>
>standard babbies have to have a deck that multiple decks have a favorable matchup against be banned because they're too retarded to build interactive decks or not netdeck each other in an incestuous clusterfuck.

W E W
>>
>>53781626
>Build interactive decks

Wizards need to provide the pieces for that, but they seem adamant on not having any useful answers in the format and...

>or not netdeck each other in an incestuous clusterfuck.

Oh, you're a retard.

Should have opened with that so I wouldn't have lost my time.
>>
>>53781411
Dusk/Dawn wouldn't be very good against zombie decks.

As for playing around sweepers, just play a bit more conservatively in games 2 and 3. Also, I've noticed zombie players tend to get overly aggressive and don't make use of cryptbreaker nearly enough.
>>
>>53781803
Did you read the ban announcement? Multiple decks had 50% win rate (or more!) against marvel. And they still banned it anyway because too many people bitched and moaned that it was unfair or a hard matchup for their garbage brew or whatever.

Literally cards like lost legacy and gideons intervention exist, or just counters, but apparently holding mana open turn 4 to counter their win condition (or other options that exist to deal with marvel) is too complex for most players who just netdeck and regurgitate what they see on reddit.
>>
>>53782072
>Dusk/Dawn wouldn't be very good against zombie decks.
I mean it probably won't kill Cryptbreakers, but after one Lord of the Accursed or Liliana's Mastery, every token zombie has 3 or more power.
>>
god standard players are cucks forced to play the objectively best deck while fearing its inevitable ban
>>
>>53782488
Honestly it feels like we're at the point where the best deck is just always going to be banned because Magic players are completely insane and awful and will bitch incessantly about literally any deck that they lose to

Marvel 100% did not need to be banned in terms of power level or dominance. The metagame was in no way degenerate. It's fucking ridiculous. I don't even blame WotC, either. They had to do it because of how the player community was acting. This ban is 100% about player feelbads and 0% about improving Standard.
>>
>>53782543
>Magic players

standard players*
>>
>>53782543
I can't wait for new perspectives to take off and then be banned.
>>
>>53782543
They banned it because dropping something like an Emrakul or Ulamog turn 4 is more or less an instant game over. You can't even stop the marvel from spinning unless you counter it, either. If you're not playing blue, the best you can hope for is their first activation doesn't nab Ulamog, destroy it, then pray they don't drop one next turn and do the same shit.
There's no counterplay unless you have counterspells, and even then, it's not a guaranteed bet.
It probably wouldn't have been an issue if the thing said 'Put into play,' but getting 'Cast it without paying its cost' is where it becomes degenerate. A card like Marvel also means they can't really print anything powerful that's supposed to be offset by its casting cost.
>>53782665
New Perspectives folds against too much shit to be a legitimate threat. Granted it's more or less an autowin against my favored deck, but pretty much everything else beats it without much fuss.
>>
>>53782304
fucking this.

This ban was retarded. I don't play marvel, it's BEYOND easy to counter if you know it's coming, which you obviously should be able to tell very early in the game, let alone game 2 and 3 are CLEARLY in your favor.
>>
>>53782701
I understand why Marvel was powerful. That's not the argument or the issue. It demonstrably was not an unbeatable deck and there demonstrably was not a totally degenerate metagame. As noted in the actual ban notice - WotC literally says that they banned it because it was unfun and not because it was too powerful. It's bullshit. Once again, design & development by feelbad.
>>
>>53782701
It's literally the same as marvel, just a turn slower and more consistent. You'll have to play certain cards to counter it, they'll be in a color players don't have in their deck, people will bitch about it being "resolve perspectives and win" despite whatever the actual matchup percentages are.
>>
Isn't there a ton of artifact hate cards and counters in standard? And aren't most decks favored post sb?
>>
File: en_cyYNF6Fto1.png (165KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
en_cyYNF6Fto1.png
165KB, 265x370px
>>53782701
>You can't even stop the marvel from spinning unless you counter it, either. If you're not playing blue, the b

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>53782845
I don't know. Black players have becoming babies lately, despite getting basically all the answers to the problem decks.
>>
File: 1495942779147.jpg (90KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1495942779147.jpg
90KB, 1024x1024px
>>53782845

>still playing dynavolt because I find it fun
>three people at my LGS run a number of these mainboard because it hits kiran, scrapheap, marvel, gearhulk, and ballista
>>
>>53782543
Honestly, the Internet is to blame for this. When bitching at WOTC is only a tweet away, changes come so much faster.
>>
>>53782826
Marvel can activate as soon as it hits the board, usually 1 hit is enough to win the game. To be safe you needed to counter it
>>
>>53783149
>can activate as soon as it hits the board
gee if only there was a creature that hit the board the turn before it that forced artifacts to enter tapped, and it was in a popular color like green and at uncommon rarity so it was pretty available...
>>
>>53782845
The main issue with dispossess is it doesn't do anything about a marvel in play, and dispossess isn't really a card you want four of in your deck. If it had cycling or something, then yes, it'd be fantastic, run that shit as a four of all day every day.
Generally speaking, lost legacy works better against marvel since you can name ulamog, chandra, etc, instead of just their one thing.
>>
File: 1461278017264.png (669KB, 618x481px) Image search: [Google]
1461278017264.png
669KB, 618x481px
Marvel banned
>>
>>53783187
Manglehorn has the narrow answer problem - you're only going to want to use it in one or two specific situations, and you're still never going to want four of the things.
It also has the problem of dying incredibly easy to Harnessed Lightning, Shock, Magma Spray, Sweltering Suns, etc.
It is an answer, but most of the time it's going to set the Marvel player back a single turn.
>>53782787
The only reason it was beatable is because of variance. They're streaky as fuck, which isn't fun to play with or against at a casual level, and at a pro level it becomes a dice throw every fucking match on whether or not you'll advance. I don't think there's been any high-level players that've said they like playing it.
Allowing decks like Marvel to sit in standard will kill the format so fucking fast.
So yes, they killed it because of feelbad, but do you really want hearthstone-tier mechanics in MTG?
>>
>>53783393
I don't want decisions being made because of feelbads. I'd rather they hadn't printed Marvel in the first place, but once they printed it, I don't want them to ban it because of fucking feelbads. Because designing and developing around feelbads is extremely dumb and demonstrably leads to bad formats.
>>
>>53783187

Gee, if only it wasn't a vanilla 3/2 against a popular deck like zombies where it'll be deader than your overall winrate.

People play him sideboard. Marvel still has a reasonable matchup against the decks that ran it. The matchups where marvel had a really bad time were the ones that killed it before marvel (pummeler), or the ones that ran queller (where it was a cunt to resolve marvel against them at all).
>>
>>53783439
Yes, it shouldn't have ever been made in the first place, but here we are.
An errata to remove the "Cast" bit would've been enough, I think, but WotC likely didn't want to go through all the bullshit to explain to the new players why the deck they just brought to FNM doesn't work like they think it does.
As for feelbads, it's incredibly important to the health of a format and the game as a whole. If it has a 50% WR overall, but everyone despises playing with/against it, then no one is going to want to play. From a business standpoint they had to ban it.

Marvel was shitty as dicks when Emrakul was around too, but I don't remember why it didn't explode quite like it has now. BG Delirium was probably just better?
Only way I got around that shit fest was by running a Summonings deck at the time, I'd just counter Emrakul and they'd take my turn and not be able to do anything with it except advance my board state.
>>53783463
It's a 2/2, actually. For 3. Can't even trade up with an enhanced zombie token or kill a Whirler.
>>
>>53775939
$7 uncommons compared to $30 rares.
>>
>>53715352
The liliana deck from amonkhet is also quite good.
>>
File: mS7pf1B.jpg (119KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
mS7pf1B.jpg
119KB, 960x720px
>Vehicles will be the best deck post rotation

not so fast
>>
>>53784231
so is eternalize the new hip word for embalm?
>>
>>53784231

we pokemon nao
>>
>>53784231
>Abrade
Now that is a sickawesome card.
>>
>>53784256
Sounds like it'd be like Bestow but from the graveyard
>>
File: rLEI9Yv.png (282KB, 457x307px) Image search: [Google]
rLEI9Yv.png
282KB, 457x307px
more cards
>>
i still dont get how rotation works? what gets taken out and when?
>>
>>53784231
>eternalize
what did MTG mean by this?
>>
>>53784373
see >>53779006
once ixaland hits shadows and eldritch rotate, then we go back to old method
>>
>>53784354

The creep is real!
>>
>>53784231
when did they start doing these psuedo full art cards? my liliana card isnt too far off from this
>>
Is my mono blue still mono blue if there's some colorless/artifacts?
>>
>>53784564
Promos
>>
>>53784649
how many colors the deck has besides blue?
0?
so it's mono-blue
>>
>>53783187
So you first need Manglehorn already out, a shitty 2/2 for 3 that's dead in every other matchup, and then another card to actually blow up the Marvel, just to not lose on the spot. Great.
>>
I'm new to standard. Only played limited, edh, and pauper. What deck should I build given the recent banning?
>>
>>53785093
Grixis Death's Shadow
>>
>>53785093
If you're on a budget you can build RG Pummeler for under $100 and 90% of the deck will not be gone after rotation
>>
>>53785093
Whatever is fun for you.
You can build some really oddball shit and win FNMs.
>>
File: skeleton_pilot.gif (174KB, 299x240px) Image search: [Google]
skeleton_pilot.gif
174KB, 299x240px
>>53785101
I have some friends who are really into modern so I might do that at some point. However, I was wondering about standard.
>>53785136
I should have been more specific:
>budget is $200
>winning is nice
And bonus points:
>Something not totally braindead to pilot
>I want my opponent to not have fun
>>
>we could've printed answers like duress and pithing needle but they created more problems
I miss being able to play with good cards in standard. They could have avoided most of the banning shitstorms if they they just had good answers like those cards.
>>
>>53785212
Oh and I have no clue how to go about brewing but i do know how to tune to whatever my local meta is.
>>
>>53785212
>>I want my opponent to not have fun
Esper Control. Unlike its Jeskai and UR cousins, it's extra grindy and features even more 'No' responses along with 'X creature dies.'
Every time I've played it against someone their eyes go dead halfway through the first round, and even if they win the match, they're not happy about it at all.
>>
>>53785218
Maybe once the core set comes back. Maybe.
>>
>>53785212
Do you care if cards rotate out in a few months? The next best deck after Marvel will be Mardu Vehicles. The deck costs over $300 though.
>>
>>53785275
Removing core sets was a mistake
>>
>>53785316
I care a little bit, that red card with shock or destroy target Artifact that was spoiled, and that $300 price point make me not huge on building artifacts
>>53785264
That sounds like my cup of tea, do you find you usually win? The reason I'm valuing winning so highly, aside from obvious reasons, is that I have a friend who dominates our store in standard and I want to give him a challenge.
>>
>>53783211
Then you can play lost legacy and name ulamog
>>
>>53784354
Afflict sounds pretty cool
>>
>>53785642
You're scared of that red card but you're considering playing a blue deck that will have 4 Gearhulks.
>>
>>53785780
I'm dumb and new to standard. Forgive me Senpai.
>>
>>53784354
holy shit this goes into my handless red aggro deck
>>
I'm not looking forward to having to deal with Wildfire Eternal.
>>
>>53784354
>crucible of worlds on a stick
Nice.
>>
>>53781411
hold your colossus, that's really all you have to do, then game 2 side in 15 anti removal cards cause boy they just put in every AoE in standard vs your ass.
>>53784231
shit mono-white cats looking better everyday
>>
>>53784354
>ramp up excavator
a little on the nose there wiz
>>
Cat Commander confirmed??
>>
>>53784231
>instant speed burn or artifact removal
>uncommon
Fucking finally.
>>
>>53785218
They weren't going to print needle and duress, they were just going to declare them standard legal. Standard has gotten that dysfunctional.
>>
>>53785642
Well, I last played the deck before Amonkhet so I don't know how it'll hold up now, or even compared to your meta. I won fairly often with it, 3-0'd maybe half the time and 2-1'd another third or so, but then I play in a shop that's heavily anti-meta but still competitive.

1 Sorin, Grim Nemesis
2 Ob Nixilis Reignited
3 Torrential Gearhulk
4 Glimmer of Genius
4 Grasp of Darkness
2 Fatal Push
2 Fumigate
4 Shambling Vent
3 Ruinous Path
3 Disallow
3 Negate
4 Anticipate
4 Sunken Hollow
4 Choked Estuary
2 Port Town
1 Concealed Courtyard
1 Plains
4 Island
4 Swamp
2 Blessed Alliance
1 Aether Hub
2 Horribly Awry
SB: 2 Jace, Unraveler of Secrets
SB: 3 Flaying Tendrils
SB: 1 Negate
SB: 2 Dispel
SB: 2 Metallurgic Summonings
SB: 2 Summary Dismissal
SB: 3 Thing in the Ice
>>
So there's no equivalent to event decks that lets newbies at least hold their own in FNM?
>>
>>53787304
Silly anon. Wizards doesn't know how to make their game accessible.
>>
>>53787304
No. The planeswalker decks are better than the disaster that used to be the intro decks, but you'll never win at FNM with them. Hell, I can't even see taking a round off someone who has some semblance of what they're doing and is using a total homebrew.
The main problem is everything worthwhile in those decks is absurdly over-costed.
>>
>>53787606
Yeah, that seems to be the case. Looks like Gideon is at least infinitely better than Lili's deck. I wonder if I could tweak that into something workable after a few drafts
>>
Returning player here. Are masterpieces usable in standard, or just Legacy/Modern bait?
>>
Ayy guys check out my deck im gonna bring to FNM. Havent played in a tournament before any tips?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/haste-with-burn/#c3056735
>>
>>53787947
the answer is NO
>>
Ok guys. I started playing MTG like 3 months ago, so i'm totally oblivious when it comes to deck brewing. I want to make a ramp deck. What should my mana curve look like, and what are some must includes into the deck? The Reason i wanna make a ramp deck is because i bought a Battle for Zendikar display, and got 3 Ulamogs, so I thought I might as well make Marvel. Never actually got to making it, because i was too busy playing gimmick decks with Mechanized Production that failed at every turn. Now that i considered making an actual deck Marvel got banned.

P.S. How would i go about making a 5 colour Planeswalker deck. I got like 17 of them from boosters and no idea what to do with them.
>>
>>53788782
For planeswalkers - oath of nissa is your buddy I believe.
>>
>>53788799
Nice, thanks. Would Oath of Gideon also work?
>>
Anybody have any tips for new players as to what to spend money on?
>>
>>53784354
I can't wait to draft Ramunap with evolving wilds for the most insane filtering ever.
>>
>>53789392
Decks you want to play. Ultimiatly this is a game, and if you aren't spending your money in ways that'll make you happy, why are you putting money into it?
I'd also recommend trying to hold onto or trade for cards that will have value even when they leave standard.
Dual lands are a good example of this.
>>
>>53789478
i think i've bought like at least 15 boosters. am i fucking up
>>
>>53789607
Unless you really, really, enjoy just cracking open boosters, then yes.
The most fun you can have with boosters are sealed events like drafts or, well sealed. I'd recommend looking into those formats to see if you'd enjoy them before cracking any more packs casually.
If you are looking for a way to invest your money into good cards that will be playable in constructed, don't buy packs, buy singles. A play set of some very good standard cards costs about as much as 2 packs (Censor for example), and your really not going to get cards for a deck you want to play by just randomly opening cards. In the long and short run, buying singles will get you a deck faster and cheaper then cracking boosters.
>>
>>53789607
not necessarily

if you like cracking packs and making decks with what you have, go for it. you probably will have a long road ahead of you until you make a deck that can defeat the meta decks, but if that's what you like do that. the problem of not having a card collection is that you basically have to either look up cards online to figure out what sort of deck you can make, or rely on net decking (that is - looking up other people's decks that have won tournaments) to figure out your deck.

if you want to be more budget conscious then cracking packs until you have enough goodstuff to win consistently might be a bad route. there are a few standard playable decks for ~$100 that will let you at least have a shot a winning a FNM or holding your own against other people's shitbrews.
Thread posts: 329
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.