[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options 2: http://media.wiz

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 377
Thread images: 37

Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options 2:

http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Feedback Questionnaires:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/:
>>53689307

Dwarf martials or half-orc martials. Which do you prefer? Which are superior? Why do you feel that way?
>>
Fuck you phil
>>
>>53694534
Best Paladin oath, what does /5eg/ prefer.
>>
File: 1490381039149.jpg (228KB, 1192x606px) Image search: [Google]
1490381039149.jpg
228KB, 1192x606px
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MDJNE93
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UNNRFOI
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006IFIM

Rate my order that's coming in tomorrow.
>>
>>53694534
>Dwarf martials or half-orc martials. Which do you prefer? Which are superior? Why do you feel that way?
Half Orc for sure the racials are so cool and fun

ive actually been dming for 4 years straight, never played a character during that time
used to only play half orcs
idk if I will again though, sort of a relic of the past...
>>
>>53694534
Why are Beholders so fucking cool? Volo's really made me love those flying eyeball bastards.

Also how cool would a Beholder patron be for a Warlock?
>>
>>53694542
Depends on the character really.
>>
>>53694616
Ancients is best mechanics but shittiest fluff
Devotion is best fluff but shittiest mechanics
>>
>>53694616
Oath of Ancients is the best in the PHB. Vengeance is pretty good too. Devotion is the classic paladin and while it isn't BAD it also isn't great in comparison to the other two.

That said, taking literally any Paladin archtype is fine. They're all pretty decent, even the worst one.
>>
>>53694681
This tbhfam.
>>
>>53694534
what the fuck is with this white guy in the OP? haven't you had enough of that for as long as the internet has existed?
>>
File: 1496336946100.jpg (349KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1496336946100.jpg
349KB, 900x1200px
>>53694616
Personally I like Oath of Ancients for fluff and crunch. Although Devotion is high up there and haven't had much experience with the UA ones so don't have too much of an opinion on them.

tfw finally have a player willing to DM so I can run an OoA styled after the three musketeers, rapier and all.
>>
File: 1496909383164.jpg (33KB, 396x385px) Image search: [Google]
1496909383164.jpg
33KB, 396x385px
>>53694534
>Dwarf martials or half-orc martials. Which do you prefer? Which are superior? Why do you feel that way?
Half-orc because it's easier to sound dumb than attempt a scottish accent.
>>
>>53694432
Pretty sure my GM will force me to use the latest UA, and he keeps himself up to date on those. Is the latest College of Swords not good?

Not familiar with Satire or Whisper.

I am a GOOlock, if it matters.
>>
How do you handle towns, /5eg/?
Do you just hand your players a list of what's buyable, a few locations, and tell them to go at it? Do you go for a more realistic approach, with them actually exploring it?
>>
>>53694766
I know this feeling all too well....
>>
>>53694660
because there is beauty within them.
>>
>>53694774
check out the options on 5etools in the OP. College of swords went from having a neat effect once per turn, to limiting its use to your bardic inspiration die.
>>
>>53694785
They have to explore the town. Sometimes I have them roll for finding a specific item, seller, or trader if they're looking for something rare.

With merchants I roll a 1d20 to determine their personality. The higher I roll towards a 20 the nicer and more forgiving/deal-friendly they are, and the closer they roll to a 1 the less friendly and more standoffish they are. Hitting a nat 20 might make me play them as a total scrub of a merchant who gives the players something nice for free or sells a really rare item for peanuts, whereas a nat 1 will be a scumlord merchant selling bread for 10 gp and ripping off his customers (but he always has at least 1 fair item that the party could use, if they manage to barter proper for it).
>>
>>53694766
>accents
plz stop
>>
>>53694766
>Half-orc because it's easier to sound dumb than attempt a scottish accent.

>not doing the superior Mexican accent for dwarves
Orale vatos! We need to get to el fiesta before el Rey is assasseenated!
>>
>>53694660
Beholder patron would be fabulous
>>
>>53694646
Okay
>>
fantasy grounds or roll20
>>
>>53694660
>Also how cool would a Beholder patron be for a Warlock?
completely retarded seeing as how not just anything can bestow power or would be willing to do so
fucking hell can we stop deconstructing everything?
>>
>>53689581
I always assumed chugging a potion was an object interaction, but so was taking one out of your bag. So if you wanted to pull out a potion and drink it it costs a turn, but if you had a free hand you could pull it out of your pouch for free and one turn, and drink it for free on the next
>>
>>53695058
The potion homebrew just fixes the action economy being a complete slog that actively hurts players than helps. There is a large reason why healing word is waaaaaaaay better than cure wounds in combat. If a rogue happens to be in the party give them a buff elsewhere.
>>
Going to be playing revised ranger level 3 I already picked the panther as pet option. My only issue is what weapon do I use for myself? We already have 2 range options in our party and I am not sure what Martial options would be the best.
>>
>>53695133
>fixes the action economy being a complete slog
I don't see how. Telling a player they can do X for their bonus action, Y for their main action, and Z for their "free action along with movement" is what bogs shit down. If you keep drinking a potion as an action they know what they have to do for their turn, and not "ok, I drank it as a bonus and now I'm going to waste 5 minutes thinking about my regular action." If you chug, your turn's over. Boom, that took all of ten seconds to decide.
>>
>>53695145
Dueling.
That flat +2 to onehanded damage is great.
>>
>>53694192
The DMG has a table on page 282 of various racial modifiers and such.

The NPCs in the back of the MM and Volo's book are pretty much designed to be used with that, so they can represent members of any race. Kobold pirates? Just take the bandit/pirate statblock and add the kobold features and stat mods.
>>
>>53694828
>Venomous Words
Fuck, this sounds perfect for my GOOlock. And a mini-smite with poison damage isn't bad either.

Yeah I am probably going with Whispers.

Satire looks troll as fuck, tumbling around going at Sanic levels of speed. Whispers sounds more appropriate though.
>>
File: mind games.png (4KB, 316x125px) Image search: [Google]
mind games.png
4KB, 316x125px
What would happen if I gave a rogue a magic item that gives him TWO bonus actions?
>>
>>53694616
Oath of Vengeance pallies not played like scarlet crusaders/batmen are my fetish.
>>
>>53695252
So use a rapier yeah seems fair. I guess a shield for off hand not much you can do with a free hand in this system.
>>
>>53695229
More in the sense that you are making combat take longer than it needs to and it puts players in scenarios where rather than dealing with the threat they are wasting turns healing for meager amounts that are going to get burned anyway. If you are having issues with people remembering what they can do it's on them. Relegating potions only to bonus actions isn't difficult, time consuming or complicated.
>>
>>53694534
Half-Orc racials actually complement martial classes while Dwarven racials are mostly redundant.
>>
>>53695309
Are you allowed to multiclass?
Cause if you are after lvl 4 switch over to Monk and pick up Kensai.

Keep using Dueling with a Whip as a Monk weapon.
>>
File: 133Gzemnid.jpg (204KB, 750x1050px) Image search: [Google]
133Gzemnid.jpg
204KB, 750x1050px
>>53695056
Could be a specific and powerful Beholder, like Gzemnid.

He's occasionally been deified, he's prepared to bargain and parley, and he'd probably be willing to give some powers in exchange for the Warlock to pass on powerful magical items to him.

And he'd probably grant a Gazer as a familiar for chainlocks.
>>
>>53695145
Unless you have at least two others in melee, or maybe just one since you have an animal companion, it's probably be better to stay at range rather than to be the one guy who sticks their neck out in melee.
>>
How closely are magic and science related in your setting / dnd in general? Like even if there are schools for wizards, do they study physics and chemistry and are those actually related to the magic they use?
>>
>>53695461
If magic is real then it's a science.
>>
Is it just me, or is Paladin of Redemption kinda stupid?

Take a Finesse weapon. Bump Dex to 20.

Take the Mariner fighting style.

Enjoy 22 AC, no armour, no shield.

Oh, and you have access to shield.

This hardly seems balanced.
>>
>>53695489
>Bladesigner

>Boost Int and Dex to 20

>Mage armor

Enjoy 23 AC no armor

Oh, and they have access to shield and absorb elements and every other fucking spell in the world.
>>
Booming Blade worth it on a Hexblade?

We rolled stats and I got an 18 for my CHA, and since I wanted to play a Yuan-Ti pureblood, I've got 20 CHA at level 1.
>>
I like vengeance if they're played well. On the note of paladins I'm thinking of making a paladin/ warlock OoA/ Archfey character. How many levels of each should I take and which pact for warlock?
>>
>>53695581
>Enjoy 23 AC no armorOh, and they have access to shield and absorb elements and every other fucking spell in the world.
Also only useable for a limited period of time, twice a day. And needs to be activated.

Compared to an always on 22AC. Even while asleep.
>>
File: Bladelock.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Bladelock.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
So I've been thinking that neither a Pact Boon nor a Patron make sense for a melee warlock (boon because those are mostly utility, patron because that means you can't have melee warlocks with interesting patrons). So I made this thing based on some discussions from /tg/ a few days back.
Thoughts?
>>
File: 1482736412599.jpg (77KB, 500x625px) Image search: [Google]
1482736412599.jpg
77KB, 500x625px
Hello friends. I like using ambient background music for my sessions and I need one for a very Latin villain. I prefer video game or movie osts. Any ideas?
>>
>>53695056
Cry more, autist. It's a fantasy pnp game.
>>
A couple people from the last thread said that the smite and improved weapon invocations are trash. I asked my DM if he's allow the UA and he said the ghost sight and ice tomb are OP.

What are your thoughts and how would you fix them?
>>
>>53695659
>Even while asleep.
AC is a combat abstraction, and proper use of armor (especially shields) requires conscious action. When targeting sleeping targets, nothing prevents an attacker from taking their time finding the best place to stab.

>>53695722
Different anon: "but muh fantasy" is not a good enough response. Not everything can be a warlock patron, not everything can be a cleric deity, etc.
>>
>>53695489
Don't you need to use a Simple bludgeoning weapon for the other features to work?
And also I believe they lose their armored bonus if they use a shield.
>>
>>53695489
It's odd it isn't something like 11+dex+charisma. No one needs 20 AC at level 1
>>
File: image.jpg (169KB, 750x931px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
169KB, 750x931px
>>53694616
OoA hands down
>>
How would you make WoT4E monk viable only using the PHB version and not any homebrew crap?
>>
File: 1465744556304.jpg (135KB, 552x364px) Image search: [Google]
1465744556304.jpg
135KB, 552x364px
Shameless repost from last thread.

After spending countless days and hours working on a homebrew fix to various things I have decided to say fuck it and play completely vanilla.

How did realizing that it just isn't worth it improve your games, /5eg/?
>>
Green Flame Blade on a Bladelock.

Is it a waste, or is it a good early game tool?
>>
>>53695798
That's my thought as well. Considering they are the "let's talk about it" Paladin, charisma would make sense.

But instead they just made it 16+dex
>>
>>53694616
Oathbreaker is most fun to play. I'm a faggot and convinced my DM to let me play a neutral oathbreakers that broke their oath to Tiamat. It was great.
>>
/5eg/, which Paladin oath do you think is the closest to a lawful evil blackguard? Oath of Conquest seems closest, but focuses on war rather than acquiring power. Oath of Treachery and the Oathbreaker rub me wrong since they have nothing to do with being a lawful alignment.

Hard mode: Gimme a tenet of what you think a blackguard oath would have.

>>53694616
I think Oath of Vengeance is my favorite, although the Oath of Conquest is pretty awesome, at least fluff-wise.

>>53695307
We'd get along anon.
>>
>>53695834
>published content has had hundreds of hours of development from dedicated game design teams and thousands of hours of player testing
>being arrogant enough to think the crap you come up with in a couple of hours and don't playtest would be better

Sort of obvious really
>>
File: SKT_Book.png (134KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
SKT_Book.png
134KB, 300x300px
anybody here play through Storm king's thunder? what's wrong with it and what can we do to fix it?
>>
>>53695133
Drinking a potion once is a free action

There I fixed your precious niche of a niche
>>
>>53694534
I want to play a calmly and level-headed berserker. Which is to say, someone who's found peace but can channel their emotional trance to unleash their rage - not necessarily a monk, but something along the lines of a monk. A berserker that doesn't constantly act like he's in anger management class, that is. I can roleplay that just fine, but I can't explain the bursts of rage without it sounding autistic.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>53695834
Your issue is that you were trying to fix things that weren't all that broken.
Homebrew should be about interesting options, not changes to core mechanics that (Wot4E and Beastmaster aside) were pretty solid to being with.
>>
>>53695703
I like it, but i feel it makes the warlock even more frontloaded and causes even more multiclassing issues.
>>
>>53695659
>the DM doesn't make them doff and don their armour
>the DM doesn't give a circumstance bonus to attacking sleeping targets such as an autocrit and instant death on failed save

WEW
>>
>>53695974
berserk rage = battle trance
>>
>>53695722
>It's a fantasy pnp game.
cool story bro.
pnp games still have standards, come at me with your tactical nihilism, I dare you.
>>
>>53695763
>Different anon: "but muh fantasy" is not a good enough response. Not everything can be a warlock patron, not everything can be a cleric deity, etc.

considering none of this exists, yes it can
if i tell you that beholders are good aliens that help orphaned children and that vampires suck dick for power, then you're gonna accept that shit or you can get out of my table
>>
>>53695861
I would take it.
>>
>>53696005
>15:09:03
>come at me with your tactical nihilism
>>53696010
>15:09:15
>considering none of this exists, yes it can
wew
this anon right here! predicting the future
>>
>>53695943
>dedicated game design teams
Wizards doesn't dedicate enough resources to D&D to have "teams" of anything. The playtests weren't done by some elder race of all-knowing demigods, they were regular people. And coming up with something better than shit like Wot4E monk, original bladelock, PHB ranger or wild magic sorcerer is not a very high bar
>>
>>53695983
I suppose I can see that; it can be used as a two-level dip to add charisma damage and shoves to melee attacks.
I hadn't actually considered that, because my group doesn't do much multiclassing; do you have any suggestions?
How about damage scaling on the weapon (a la Martial Arts)?
>>
>>53694534
>white male protagonist

Patriarchal Heteronornative Cis scum detected
>>
>>53696010
>Changing the meaning of words halfway through an argument
Nice logical fallacy, friend. When the original comment said "beholders as patrons," the only reasonable assumption was that it meant beholders as they are presented in the default setting.
If you want to change your beholders and make them powerful aliens, that's absolutely your prerogative. But you should specify that BEFORE saying they are now warlock patrons.

>>53696154
Scots aren't white
>>
File: 1477932783002.png (560KB, 720x526px) Image search: [Google]
1477932783002.png
560KB, 720x526px
>>53696154
>Patriarchal
>>
>>53696177
>how cool would it be that [thing] could do [stuff it can't do]
>>ya but [thing] can't do that

alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright
>>
How would you balance a playtest-style fighter against the current one, which has multiattack?
>>
>>53696137
I would change Eldritch Warrior to level 2 and Invocations to level 5, removing Agonizing Blast from the list and giving it for free at both the Marksman and Vanguard at 7 instead.
The Martial Arts thing could work too i guess.
>>
>>53696177
>that's absolutely not anywhere near canon
there are reasonable expectations of classes in the books, especially older books. These have been defined already and I really hope you understand why having a clear definition of a noun is an important thing.
I also hope you understand that straying too far away from the written material makes it no longer dungeons and dragons.
>>
>>53696005
Fuck your standards.

If there's a homebrew Beholder patron at the table, you either shut up or get gone. If it's official, you don't use it or you fucking deal with it.

This isn't a safe space for your precious sensibilities faggot, this is D&D. A fantasy kitchen sink where things are added on a whim.
>>
>>53694616
Treachery.
>muh nova
>muh muh advantage dpr
>muh stealth
>muh haste
>>
Between a Bladesinger, a Bladelock and a Valor bard, which one makes the best Frontline damage dealer?
>>
>>53695716
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlr90NLDp-0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTXr9RzXE_U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYmsjocHajI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCEI0-Yrp1c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5UX38J1UoU
>>
So instead of focusing on how 5e doesn't have any real splatbooks, can you guys name any good ones from earlier editions?

Stuff like the Tome of Magic, Draconomicon, etc. I started GMing with 5e and I'm looking for resources
>>
>>53696305
>If there's a homebrew Beholder patron at the table, you either shut up or get gone
not if I'm dm'ing
and I always dm and Ill tell them what I tell everyone who brings retarded furry tier bullshit to my game

No.
>>
File: druilletdark.jpg (2MB, 1938x2826px) Image search: [Google]
druilletdark.jpg
2MB, 1938x2826px
>>53689862
I'm running a sandbox campaign that features a number of "main quest"-type stories that the players may or may not ever encounter, pursue, or care about. Depending on the party's inclinations, the villains (who are all bad dudes) might actually get along with them and rope them into fucking over everyone else, essentially bringing the party on board Team Evil.

There's a ... thing ... whose influence is spreading hundreds of miles away and creeping towards some critical mass, at which point it will suddenly begin to ruin everyone's day in earnest. Its existence and location is the biggest mystery of the setting (except perhaps its origin), but its awakening would be truly apocalyptic in scale.

There is also a thing related to the origin of the Main Thing, but it's alone and only a threat if disturbed. A relic of the past, something like an inert mine; it's harmless as long as no one steps on it, and then only that guy gets blown up.

Somewhat related to that first thing is a General who split off from the losing side of the civil war that has unknowingly coopted its psychic powers and is creating a second, separate collective with him at the head. He's carved out a little section of the continent way beyond the rest of civilization and is doing his own thing there with his loyal minions. They're the closest thing to main setting badguys, because they're real assholes to everyone. They get up to some really spooky shit using their psychic powers.

The losing faction of that civil war, aside from the General who split off and, wasn't absorbed in whole by the victorious nation. They made a big retreat as the armies of the world closed in on them and utilized a bunch of artifacts they'd been looting (which was why they thought they could win a civil war in the first place) to cover their asses. Now they're on an island biding their time, rebuilding, figuring out how to do more cool shit with the artifacts, and no one can really get near them.
>>
Half-orcs in an oriental setting. How would you do it?
>>
>>53695974
Literally the Samurai
>>
>>53696500
Lesser Oni
>>
>no thread title
>trying to brute force a nonsense meme
You know what is superior? A Kobold Dragon-Hunting Party
>>
>>53696357
I can't speak for Bladelock because I haven't played one, but:
>Bladesinger is basically a wizard with the ability to use a sword competently
>Valor Bard is in a similar boat, although it has a smaller spell selection, can buff rolls with bardic inspiration, and gets multiattack, plus plenty of skill proficiency
Between the two, Bladesinger has more utility and potential tank, but Valor can melee attack more and support
>>
File: druillethorse.jpg (585KB, 1600x1125px) Image search: [Google]
druillethorse.jpg
585KB, 1600x1125px
>>53696498
Then there's the President of a break-away state that lost EL REVOLUCION with another nation, now hiding out in the jungle. They mostly just harass said nation and steal shit from everyone else, but they've also found something ancient and spooky in the jungle that they can't quite wrap their heads around, but it'll be real bad news once they do.

There's a cult of vampiric Satan worshippers who want to blot out the sun so they can have the run of the world, which is really just an excuse to ape From Dusk Til Dawn.

And a savage chieftan of some tribal collective that'd really like to take back all the land that these civilized colonists have stolen from his people. He'll be fucking around with ancient terrors and spirits in typical ungabunga fashion.

There's also just a really rich fucker who'll do anything for more money and power, but he's off living in golden penthouses and it's just his goons making life miserable for everyone standing in the way of profits.
>>
File: 14279828195460.png (126KB, 367x388px) Image search: [Google]
14279828195460.png
126KB, 367x388px
>>53695943
Didn't lion's share of playtesters never reach lv. 10?
>>
>>53696531
A dragon who hunt kobolds? A person who hunts kobolds who have polymorphed into dragons? A kobold that hunts dragons?
>>
Can you jump past your speed?
>>
>>53696564
Just like real players then.
>>
File: ainu chillin.jpg (88KB, 700x308px) Image search: [Google]
ainu chillin.jpg
88KB, 700x308px
>>53696500
Ainu, if Japan.
Or Mongolians if you're in China.
And we know you're not running a Korean campaign.
>>
>>53696564
Not just playtesters, but players even after the official launch.
>>
File: 1464539218839.gif (494KB, 375x198px) Image search: [Google]
1464539218839.gif
494KB, 375x198px
>>53689927
>>53690005
>>53690139
>>53690378
>>53690592
>>53690733
>>53694018
>>53694419
>>53694445
Thanks a bunch folks! Just what I needed.
>>
>Tfw DM allows a lot of homebrew stuff
>But we know that our standards aren't the same as everyone else
Why can't people just let different groups do what they want?
>>
>>53696528
So the Oni are like the top of the pile, and then it does down from there with Ogres, Half-Ogres, Orcs, Half-Orcs?
>>
Hey /tg/ my group of friends is about to start a campaign and both my friend and I want to play paladins because we both dig the "Gish" archetype, what two oaths would mesh well together? Or should one of us just pick a different class?
>>
File: Z7HeRxU.png (361KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
Z7HeRxU.png
361KB, 512x512px
>>53696637
because this is /tg/ dammit!
>>
>>53695283
he'll use the second one to dodge every turn and you'll never land another attack on him.
>>
>>53696668
True,

I know that just because this DM allows a lot of classes from the DM's Guild like the Dragon Knight, it doesn't mean another will.
>>
>>53696585
I'm not thinking of having them as a unified race, but smaller clans and individuals at the largest orcish/oni level.

There was once a terrible warlord who bred them for his warriors, but that was long ago and his army was scattered.

I like a sort of inherent mythical nature to monsters.
>>
>>53696378
Wow anon thanks a ton!

h-how do I say this... When I wrote latin I actually meant spanish latin, like latino. If you could find some to match that too it would be great

here is an example of what I had for a similar character https://youtu.be/UVIEUGDeQ9E
>>
>>53696583
>>53696585
Proof?
>>
>>53696637
>Why can't people just let different groups do what they want?
because when you post on an open forum you are not immune to criticism, especially when what you say is outrageously dumb.
>>
>>53696758

not >>53696585 but >>53696609
>>
>>53696790
>outrageously dumb
Subjective.
>>
File: common man paladin.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
common man paladin.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>53694616
Oath of the Common Man.
>>
File: oath free commerce v0-2.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
oath free commerce v0-2.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>53694616
Oath of Free Commerce is best.
>>
>>53696357
Frontline-iness:
Bladelock in reactive damage mode = Valor Bard > Bladesinger in a 2 encounter day with no enemy aoe = Bladelock >>>>> Bladesinger

Melee Damage:
Bladelock = Valor Bard = Bladesinger with a shit ton of Feats in a low encounter day >>>>>> Bladesinger

Support:
Valor Bard = Bladesinger > Bladelock

Utility:
Pretty much equal depending on if you lean towards rituals or skills or mobility

Bladesingers don't have the hp, so aoe on the frontline with fuck them up: melee is a sometimes food. Bladelocks are a 50/50 switch hitter. Valor Bards can justify being up front all the time and they are harder to fuck up playing.
>>
>>53696758
It's common knowledge, fuck you if you think I care enough to spoonfeed you.
>>
>>53696826
>>53696847
History of the second half of the 20th century
>>
File: 17321DNDCharacterSheetPRODTH2.png (146KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
17321DNDCharacterSheetPRODTH2.png
146KB, 300x300px
Is this in the /5eg/ Mega Trove?
It mentions alot of different styles but when I use Google all I find are the same three sheets.
>>
>>53696808
>Subjective
>not immune to criticism
Yes, thats right! good boy! you found a subjective claim!
awwwwww whos a good boy!
THATS YOU!
OH YES IT IS!
>>
>>53696357
>>53696865
And tbqh Eldritch Knight will trounce all of them in regards to damage and tankiness.
>>
>>53696966
Are you okay, anon?
>>
>>53696847
>objective worth
every time
>>
>>53695967
No one on /tg/ plays games but this has come up several times, I will give a quick rundown on problems and maybe also some fixes
>intro adventure is ass
Either start at lvl 5 or run something else
>too sandboxy; chapter three is just a random list of locations
This one requires the GM to pick the locations he likes and cleverly link them together in a coherent way. Don't just tell your group to wander around doing whatever they want.
>all the giant lord fights are way too hard unless the players choose to work around them (holding the giant children hostage, freeing the dragons, being stealthy and assassinating the lord, etc)
I personally don't see this as a problem; I like my players to have to think of solutions beyond killing everything in sight. That said, it's never too difficult to tone down the difficulty by removing enemies.
>only needing to get one conch is a waste of four giant lord fights
This is not a common complaint but it is one I have. I would recommend using more than one of the giant lords and just make all but one not have a conch.
>no motivation to stick to the main story, since the players don't really know what's going on
This is a problem early on; I recommend giving them things to do parallel to the giants, so they see that stuff is going on even if they aren't necessarily interested themselves. Also, once the players figure out the fire giant is building a mecha and the frost giant wants to create ice-nine they will probably step in so as to prevent an apocalypse.
>>
>>53694616
Surprised nobody else supports based Oath of the Crown
>>
File: 1496944875894.png (5KB, 168x196px) Image search: [Google]
1496944875894.png
5KB, 168x196px
>You use your bouns action to draw your weapons
>You use your reaction to notify your allies of the enemies
I despise my DM.
>>
>>53697044
quite fine thanks for asking.
>>
>>53697085
maybe im missing something
but what is wrong with that?
>>
If you guys feel something needs to be modified or reworked, be sure to fill in those surveys and inform Wizards.

I've seen people on here autistically misinterpret rules or be fully obtuse when interpreting them so I'm not sure 5eg is a good bastion of rules savvy folk.
>>
>>53695834
Unlike previous editions where houserules were actually needed, 5e is actually pretty good. Apart from a few aberrations. You're really wasting your time trying to implement houserules. It'd be better spent trying to understand where 5e is coming from.
>>
>>53697070
>Being such a devoted government shill that you get magic powers
How wonderful
>>
>>53696826
>>53696847
Oh boy.
Can't wait for my politicaly charged games.
>>
>>53696980
> EK will out damage all of them
Is that just because they get so many attacks? How would a paladin fare in the mix?
>>
>>53697292
A paladin will do fairly good damage until they roll a 20, at which point they will nova so hard that everybody else will appear to be tickling their enemies with featherdusters.
>>
If a PC becomes a Lycanthrope, how do I deal with their attacks in Hybrid and Transformed form? Do I use the statistics in the MM for Claw/Bite attacks? Seems excessive to give a PC a +7 to hit and 2d10+4 damage if he was cursed by, say, a Werebear. Can anyone clarify? The MM block for PC Lycanthropes is too vague.
>>
Idk what to do lads

My friend is running a one shot for some of his friends and asked me to join since I'm normally DM. I've been wanting to play a hexblade so I roll one up and tell my friend about it. Queue greentext

>friend says he loves it and is gonna do some extra stuff because "this one shot is gonna be super difficult!"
>okay.jpg
>later on asks me what my character's WIS is
>tell him
>"you might want to bump it up some ;)"
>see where this is going
>tell him I don't want my character to have anything extra
>he responds with "well they're all getting something to help with the one shot anon, I'm just making your weapon do more damage! It's basically cursed after all"
>suggest that instead I could have some better armor or another trinket instead
>accuses me of trying to take advantage of him, since he's not having these conversations with the other party members
>try to tell him that that makes me uncomfortable
>I just wanted to play hexblade because it looked really cool on paper
>"ugh anon you can't have a fucking cursed weapon controlled by an evil entity without a downside"
>feel like my character is being dictated to me
>tell him that I just liked the mechanics of it+the cool flavor, and I don't feel like it needs any "downsides" tacked on
>friend gets all pissed off
>tells me that I shouldn't play DnD if I don't want to play for the narrative story
>I just didn't want the entire point of the class to also have a debilitating downside unknown to me until half way through the session
>goes for a low blow on me, personal attack about a mistake I made in the game I run with him
>tell him I'm gonna go hit the gym while he cools off

I just want to relax and have fun with my friend. But it feels like he's just trying to tell me what to do. I have no idea why he was getting so worked up. He kept saying that I was being ignorant of the cool story possibilities of having an actually cursed weapon. I was just trying to make the case that I didn't want that
>>
>>53694616
Devotion a best. The whole Paladin chassis is great, but Devotion I like on the grounds of being a fucking unkillable juggernaut against some of the nastiest shits around. Immunity to Charm is incredible. And that's on top of the flavor, with the game finally doing the classic Paladin justice this edition.

Ancients is good, too, with the very powerful spell damage resistance aura.
>>
>>53695880
>Lawful Evil Blackguard
An oath for that could be something based around "I will always uphold the law to the letter, no matter the circumstances"
>>
>>53697352
Your friend sounds like a piece of shit. Also that escalated really quickly. Drop his game.
>>
>>53697340
I have a Werebear PC.

He only gets a single attack, so the bite hitting hard is fine, imo.

The bigger problem is the immunity. You have to rely on magic to deal with him.
>>
>>53697323
That's pretty intense, I've always wanted to play a paladin wielding a giant hammer
>>
>>53697070
5e purposefully gutted the Defender role and keeps anything related to it down with finicky restrictions on everything. I like the idea behind Crown, but I'd rather choose an Oath that isn't a game patch.
>>
File: chessexmat.jpg (21KB, 500x256px) Image search: [Google]
chessexmat.jpg
21KB, 500x256px
>>53694646
>https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UNNRFOI
Why didn't you get something like this
>>
>>53697176
Those are both things which usually don't take up an action of any sort and have no logical reason for doing so. Drawing your weapon is assumed to be done along something else, you can talk freely as long as it actually fits within 6 seconds (and even then most people don't follow this strictly)
>>
>>53697501
I dunno. He's a cool guy %99.9 of the time but every once in a while he does this shit where his pride gets in the way. He's also my best friend, I can't just drop him like that.
>>
>>53697292
>>53697323
Truly, paladins are the Divine Strikers that avengers never really managed to be.
>>
>>53697544
>have no logical reason for doing so
well thats assuming you already had your weapon drawn and that everyone passed the perception check assuming the enemy wasnt extremely obvious about their introductions
>>
File: image.jpg (87KB, 960x631px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87KB, 960x631px
>I come up with a relatively harmless plan
>Dissproportionate numbers of innocents die, never directly because of me but by the chain of events I set into motion

I just wanted to know what time it was and it ends with a Barlgura slaughtering dozens of people in a tavern.
>>
>>53697085
Drawing a weapon is a SPECIFIC example of an object interaction in the PHB. Just show this to your DM
>>
>>53694616
Oath of Treachery, because I'm having a lot of fun being a shitbag coward who only really cares about the party and going on adventures. Getting his power from Anarazel is just the icing on top.
>>
>>53694660
I wish Beholders were a race. I don't understand why they aren't. They're at least as intelligent as any humanoid. If they're considered too alien or powerful they could create a Beholder-Human hybrid race. They could be called the Beholden.
>>
>>53697579
If he can't compromise then he's a piece of shit. Uncompromising DMs or DMs who adhere too strictly to the rules or their own stories are the worst DMs. Do you want to be miserable playing in his game?

Also I said drop his game and not him.
>>
>>53697665
They're too powerful as a playable race.
>>
>>53696966
Please don't say titillating things like that, this is a blue board.
>>
Has anyone played a character that's dumped CON? How about just a character with less than 14 in CON?
>>
>>53697741
Yeah, my first character was a wizard who was RPed to be a weakling as well. He had a 10 in con. And my DM made us roll for health each level up.

I rolled a one both times. At level 3 he had 8 HP.
He tried to rely on false life. It didn't help.
He died via hobgoblin axe attack.
>>
>>53697741
I played a shadow monk once with 7 CON. I dropped the group after a few sessions since it was weird group of people but it worked alright. Just be prepared to always have a way out of a situation
>>
>>53695825
Give them fireball for 4 ki at level 13.
>>
>>53695825
Have the abilities cost less ki. At least 1 lower.
>>
>>53695825
Reduce the cost of basic abilities like fangs of the fire snake and water whip to 0.
>>
What would be a good fey patron for a trickster type warlock?
Plan on relying on really high charisma for persuasion and deception. Will probably dip rogue for expertise and taking the actor feat.

But I don't know enough about archfey to know what a good patron might be. Setting is basically irrelevant because it's homebrew setting, so feel free to pull from anywhere. Forgotten realms is fine, of course.

Any good references for more stuff concerning fey politics?
>>
File: Gaze.png (82KB, 233x256px) Image search: [Google]
Gaze.png
82KB, 233x256px
>>53697665
>Flying eyeballs with anti-magic and spell-like abilities out of the ass
>Wanting Gazers
>>
>>53697837
This.
Also if the player is focusing on only one element, let them swap elemental attunement or whatever that shitty !notCantrip is for an elemental cantrip of their choice.
Gust, control flames, etc..
>>
>>53697665
That's fucking stupid.
>>
>>53694660
Might be fun.
Beholders are super fucking mistrusting though right? They'd probably only take on a warlock if they were certain they could control them for their purposes of world domination.
And any sign of the warlock turning on them they'd have like a thousand contingency plans on how to fuck the warlock first.
>>
>>53694939
You are my favorite. I may be stealing The Dwaven Raza for my homebrew.
>>
>>53697865
Literally any fey would work for being a trickster, depending how far you're willing to stretch the definition of trick, but SCAG gives Hyrsam, Prince of Fools and lord of satyrs, as the archetypal trickster
>>
File: 1 million years in photoshop.png (68KB, 291x286px) Image search: [Google]
1 million years in photoshop.png
68KB, 291x286px
>>53697884
>When you stare into an abyss it stares also into you.
>>
>>53697990
I want to fuck that abyss.
>>
>>53698011
When you penetrate into the abyss, the abyss also penetrates you.
>>
File: 1444188138376.png (309KB, 540x370px) Image search: [Google]
1444188138376.png
309KB, 540x370px
>>53698055
hot
>>
>>53694939
Two words: dwarf luchadors
>>
>>53697665
>Beholden
I bet you want that just so you can create a Beholder-Human hybrid named Caulfield
>>
Is it worth getting spells like fireball on a stone sorcerer? Or should I just stick to things that will help with melee and things I can twin?
>>
>>53698055
I don't want anything up my peepee hole
>>
what do you guys think makes a better tank/martial for an upcoming small party starting at level 1

i've been weighing the bear totem barbarian against the champion fighter (likely half-orc or mountain dwarf, unless I can get a variant human feat out of the DM) for something with sustainability as well as the opportunity for high damage output just in case I get paired with a traditional skill monkey and controller caster

i mean chances are everyone will just start taking a little bit of everything because its 5e and a small party, but I'd like to have a good focused concept to start
>>
>>53697934
it's truly fun, in one campaign we had a group of NPC dwarves with a keg disguised as another dwarf, whom they called "Carlos"

Carlos was typically the MVP dwarf (due to all the other dwarves picking up his slack) and his very presence seemed to inspire the dwarves to work and fight that much harder (for some mysterious reason). Needless to say, Carlos was also the life of every party.
>>
>>53698346
Fighters, in general, are weaker than barbarians damage-wise until they get their second extra attack, and Champion is probably the weakest PHB fighter archetype as it barely does anything at relevant levels.
>>
>>53698346
Battlemaster is best at controlling enemies and manipulating the battlefield to keep enemies away from your squishies, or to get enemies away from your squishies so they can escape without being opportunity attacked.

Barbarian is the best for just absorbing absurd amounts of damage
>>
>>53697665
this was stupid when they did it to dragons and it's stupid now. let monsters be monsters.
>>
What's the best way to use Suggestion in combat? Seems like a bitch of a spell because you gotta word it right and even then your DM might say nope.
>>
>>53698797
That criting mayhem is pretty strong.
>>
>>53698843
>Let monsters be monsters
>When the monsters are more intelligent and have a more advanced culture than humanoids

Dragons probably look at humans like humans look at goblins.
>>
Our DM has decided that we only get xp for "defeating" a monster if we kill it and we've been arguing in the discord chat for two hours over why it's stupid that we're being told we have to go back to the mountains and murder the hill giant that we fought to submission and intimidated into surrendering the macguffin if we want the xp from the encounter

I blame video games
>>
>>53698346
I'd highly suggest a Knight Fighter or Ancestor Barbarian if your DM allows UA. Knight can focus on hitting whoever's a threat to the squishies or just being a normal Fighter with super Opportunity Attacks, also you get to be a Knight.

Ancestor Barbarian's still a damage dealing monster like all all Barbs but probably a little more tanky then Bear Totem. Bear Totem is much better at protection their own ass, but Ancestor is the king Tank.
>>
>>53698901
Drop your weapon, go home and go to bed, you're very tired
>>
My friend is letting me keep hold of his D&D stuff while he's away in the military and I've been looking through the "Tyranny of Dragons"/"Rise of Tiamat" modules.

I've heard some criticism that they're really linear, even compared to other modules like Storm King's Thunder, and I wanted to know if /5eg/ could elaborate on that at all. What are some of the weaknesses of this adventure path?
>>
Based on some good criticism I recieved in the last thread, I made some quick changes to the warlock rework I'm doing. The main issue was that the new versions of some invocations were too powerful for their level. Additionally, warlocks are already the dip class, and I want to make them less so. Someone suggested increasing the level requirement for some, and that made a whole lot of sense, and was pretty easy, so I rushed this out. I'd also like to get the document in the new thread for more criticism.

So now, generally speaking, if a warlock invocation gives you a spell you can cast, it teaches you the spell, so you can cast it normally, but also gives you a once per long rest ability to cast it for free. I've also bumped the level requirement for these invocations by 2-3 levels (to be in line with the next invocation granting level the warlock gets). In some cases, I added a level requirement (thief of five fates now requires 5th level)

Since I was messing around with level requirements in some cases, I removed them where they didn't make too much sense. In particular, speak with dead at will does not feel like a 9th level invocation, and doesn't seem like it would break anything at any level. I removed that.

Other than that, not much has changed over the last iteration. In the future, I'd like to add the other patron options, some more custom invocations, and maybe, eventually, some custom pact boons.
>>
>>53698921
The second improved crit doesn't come until 15th level, and most campaigns either don't get there or are just about to end at that level. The first doesn't really do much difference compared to the options everyone else gets
>>
>>53699018
A lot of the monsters and encounters were made before the designers finished tweaking the maths, so they're a bit wonky
>>
File: The Homebrewery - NaturalCrit.pdf (107KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
The Homebrewery - NaturalCrit.pdf
107KB, 1x1px
>>53699067
>>
File: 1487813625087.jpg (628KB, 953x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1487813625087.jpg
628KB, 953x1440px
Help me out guys
Making a level 9ish PC. A sneaky doppelganger type character. After some rough planning I think a Rogue/Warlock multiclass would be the best bet. Rogue(Most likely Assassin) for the amazing stealth and warlock for invocations like mask of many faces and misty visions. The trouble I'm having is how far I go in one class. 2 levels in warlock just for invos? 3 warlock levels to get an archetype (which is probably going to be chain or blade)? 5 for an extra attack? I'd like your guy's opinion on this
>>
>>53699106
3 so you can get a cool knife
>>
>>53699106
3 levels in rogue for expertise, than max warlock so you don't get gimped completely casting wise.
>>
Adventurers league modules stopped being updated in the trove?
>>
>>53699106
If you go 3 you can get an invisible familiar via Chain. Blade probably won't be that useful unless you want a magical weapon very very badly
>>
>>53694660
I love beholders too, but why in the Lower Planes would one trust anyTHING with warlock powers?
>>
>>53699188
He already said he just wanted at-will disguise self and silent image from invocations though
>>
What are the benefits of going with OoA as a paladin over the others? Also should I MC with warlock or stay full pally?
>>
>>53699277
I know, but sadly, people that give up 5th level and above casting in this edition are objectively wrong.
>>
>>53699307
Casting isn't very powerful if you only get 2 spell slots. Just let the man have his damn rogue
>>
What's the most interesting race for a Knight?

I was thinking about either a Forest Gnome for Magic Resistance or a Duergar for their resistances and being able to Enlarge myself.
>>
>>53699218
An invisible scout does sound pretty fucking handy.
>>53699307
I doubt this character is gonna get to those higher levels.
>>53699163
Cool weapons are cool
>>
>>53699280
Full Pally, be the light
>>
>>53699395
Pact of the Chain is one of the best features in the game desu. The value of an imp familiar is so far beyond what you can get with normal find familiar that I'm always curious why people think pact of the tome is an adequate substitute. Anyways, it's the kind of feature that's only limited by your creativity, and in the hands of a creative person, can be game breaking.
>>
I made the mistake of allowing a player to make a Hexblade, plus he's a powergamer little shit who literally opens the MM to read about monsters the party is fighting and is always trying to bring more UA stuff into the game. The problem is that the rest of the party is comprised of noobs who probably like him because he sounds like a "pro." How can i get rid of this guy without looking like an asshole?
>>
>>53699532
Trail by combat
>>
>>53696757
Are you looking for general ambiance or boss battle music?

Can't go wrong with the Guacamelee soundtrack. Look it up.
>>
>>53699532
no need to get rid of him, just change monsters from what the manual says. This will infuriate him to no end as he wont be able to metagame.
>>
>>53699532
So I assume you didn't see the UA which completely gutted bladelocks again, right? As long as you're patching the hexblade with the latest rulings, it would basically function as a very shitty paladin.
>>
>>53699532
Homebrew monsters.
I don't know, do hexblades rely on short rests to be effective? Don't let them take short rests.
Bait him into blowing his load on something thinking he'll get it back shortly.

Anyway, if everyone is having fun then just let it ride. It's only really a problem if the other players aren't having fun because of him.
>>
>>53699075
The increased crit range, combined with action surge and extra attacks is pretty good, you don't even need the extra crit to come online at 15th.
>>
>>53699532
First, you're the DM, act like it. Your word is god.

Second, just build an adventure out of monsters who's stats and abilities don't make sense when compared to the monster manual. Have the party find some fucked up frankenstein's lab, whatever. Or just start giving everything Silence.
>>
>>53699614
It's not really fun to have a player acting like a pokedex every encounter.
>>
>>53699591
>no need to get rid of him, just change monsters from what the manual says.
I'm honestly surprised when I find out people DON'T do this.
Why the fuck wouldn't you? Every thing I want to use, save for what equate to trashmobs, are changed up if it's a significant fight to better fit the circumstance.

All it takes is changing HP, or immunities, or giving it a special ability that it doesn't otherwise have and it will completely throw anyone attempting to metagame off their shit.
>>
File: Mike_Wazowski_003.jpg (334KB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
Mike_Wazowski_003.jpg
334KB, 1920x1040px
This is how i Beholder.
>>
What are some usable naming schemes for settlements?
>X-port, X-Dale, X-Field, X-Vale, X-wald, X-fast, X-crest
>>
>>53697579
Just stick to your guns, cooler heads prevail. Remind him that everyone has a different playstyle, and that you can have a narrative without a cursed weapon, or some other contrivance.
>>
>>53699651
So then the problem isn't being a hexblade but the fact that he pushes his glasses up his nose and gives everyone details of the monsters OOC that they wouldn't necessarily know in character.

Just do what everyone says and change up what they are from the manual. It's super easy. Let them know outright that the manual is intended to be a template for which you can pull creatures from. A DM can literally do whatever the fuck they want.

You can have a goblin that can turn into a ghost Danny Phantom style and there's no a single drop of shit they can fling at you to stop you.
>>
Is there a reason to go str over dex as a stone sorcerer with a shield? I know dex does nothing for AC, but dex is still a better save, gives more skills and uses initiative.
I guess a muscle caster seems more fun, flavor-wise
>>
>>53699703
And also this is a much better way to balance encounters than relying on the CR system. Once you DM enough games (you may already have), you will get a feel for what the party can handle and can just pull monster stats out of your ass for random encounters instead of needing to always consult the book.
>>
>>53699724
Strength gets better melee weapons and access to GWM.

The difference is +2.5 damage per hit without even bringing GWM into the equation.
>>
>>53696440
I have too many books but yeah draconamicon is good all the 3.x forgotten realms sourcebooks are great wealth of info aswell as the mm mm II mm lll mm Iv even if you are not in that setting other good non 5E books that translate easy to 5E are book of exulted deeds and b o Vile Darkness 3.x Source books sandstorm frost burn storm wrack and I think thr r a few others that deal with other environs in a similar fashion
>>
>>53699613
I doubt this fucker is going to be ok with me telling him to update his character.
>>
>>53699819
You should have told him from the beginning that if you use UA material that it's subject to change and that you've got final say when it comes to balancing.
>>
>It's a chaotic evil half-elf sorcerer episode
I should stop playing online.
>>
>>53699532
Give him penalties to IC roleplaying if he uses OOC knowledge.
>>
>>53699882
Yeah you shouldn't play online.
There's a reason these people play online.
>>
A player brought this to the table. I've scoured books, google, piles of homebrew stuff. I can't find it. I have no idea where they got it. I know it's exclusive to "Void Genasi" but even in those homebrew I can't find it.

Null Sphere
abjuration
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 60 ft
Target: Single Target
Components: V, S
Duration: Instant
Instantly fires an orb of void energy at the target enemy from any angle. Can go through any wall. The enemy must make a Charisma saving throw. A creature takes 4d8 psychic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Interrupts any channeled abilities and Silences enemy for 1 turn.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.
>>
>>53699882
>not going from game to game as a universe-hopping paladin, smiting the evil that is the majority of roll20 PCs.
>>
>>53699945
That's retardedly powerful for a first level spell. If you're going to allow homebrew combat spells, they should always be slightly weaker then the best spell that does a similar effect.

In this case probably should be 2d4 or 2d6 damage with all those effects.
>>
>>53699901
I play online with RL friends, we just don't have time to play face to face.
>>
>>53699945
That's fucking retarded. Slap that bitch.
>>
>>53699945
No.
Just no.
>>
>>53699945
>1st level spell
>4d8 damage
>also does half on a save
>can be safely cast from 60 feet away
>then has even more shit on top of that
That's a stupid spell
>>
>>53699945
For a level one spell that's retarded. Chromatic Orb requires an attack roll, does 4d8 of whatever damage type, and requires a 50g diamond. That spell is waaaaaaaaaaay stronger than Chromatic Orb.
>>
>>53700002
That's why I've been autistic about finding out where he got it. I don't want to just call him out on it since the whole thing has been pretty good so far.

>>53700035
It's 3d8 for Chromatic, I completely missed that it requires a diamond too. Welp.
>>
>>53699945
ok jesus, reading it again:
>Interrupts any channeled abilities and Silences enemy for 1 turn.
no such thing as channeled abilities

>A creature takes 4d8 psychic damage
>At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.

cant even remember how much damage it does.
>>
>>53699945
>1st level spell
>2d8 guaranteed damage, even if the target is behind a wall
>4d8 on a failed save + target is silenced
kek
>>
>>53700052
You have to stop him now before your game ends up like >>53699532
>>
>>53699651
He sounds perfect for a monster Slayer ranger.
>>
>>53700011
So then how does playing online produce the outcome of chaotic evil half elf sorcerer if they're RL friends?
Or are you a different person that the person I originally responded to. In which case, fuck you, that's confusing and you didn't add anything of worth.
>>
>>53700052
>I don't want to just call him out on it since the whole thing has been pretty good so far.
Tell him no, just flat out say this is a shitty homebrew and you won't allow it.

If he's a friend then he should understand.

I hate homebrew spells with a passion, but if he really wants something like this here's an idea. Charisma Save or 2d6 Psychic damage and the target can't speak until the end of your next turn.
>>
>>53699945
Why the fuck do players feel the need to bring retarded shit like this to the table?
It's a storytelling game not a game about winning.
>>
>>53700103
Yeah, i'm not him. Sorry.
>>
>>53700114
right? Fuck whenever i even have a request for some donut steel, I lay out something that is objectively worse than what is available and let the dm scale it up if necessary.
>>
>>53699809
Sweet, and thanks.
>>
>>53700114
>not a game about winning
>not trying to win RP vs the wizard as a fighter because he always wins in combat
>>
>>53699945
1) Create a few void genasi casters
2) Have them spam this at him until he realizes that it's OP
>>
>>53700088
That was my first thought too. I would embrace that if they were playing a ranger (no matter the archetype desu).

If a player of mine was supplying the entire group with meta knowledge of every monster they came across, I'd just be sure to make sure the meta-knowledge they shared was "the basics" of that monster and always add extra shit on top of them.
>careful of the ghoul's claws and foul stench, arisen!
>this ghoul also has a poison spray or some shit
>>
>>53700146
THISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHIS!

My group has a rule, anything YOU can do, the enemy can do.

That always keeps things from getting out of hand.
>>
>>53700142
Stop being autistic.
>>
>>53700125
I forgive you.
I play online with RL friends too, it's a great way to keep in touch with my friends all over the world.
Current game I'm in has a dude from Europe and a girl from East Asia that I made friends with while traveling. Time zones are a bitch, but we make it work.
>>
File: SOON.png (232KB, 357x354px) Image search: [Google]
SOON.png
232KB, 357x354px
Tell me your "UA ruined my game" stories
>>
>>53700171
That seems like such an obvious rule.
The rule at our table is
>anything you can do they can do AND MORE
>>
>>53700202
our group intrinsically know that last part, simply because there are more monsters than there are players.
>>
>>53700202
>>53700171
This should already be a given.

But also, why not just disallow shit at the table.
>>
>>53700189
Fighter 1/War Mage X in a party with a Crown Paladin.

They're basically doing some good cop/bad cop roleplay shit and always staying directly next to each other in combat. It's getting annoying because they're both pretty much unkillable freight trains and next level the War Mage gets +2 to all Saves and +2 AC... he's already got CON, STR and WIS proficiency and +4 to all saves from the Paladin.
>>
>>53700189
Jokes on you, turns out Mearls is actually a good and fun DM.
>>
>>53700239
>But also, why not just disallow shit at the table.
we do not allow absolute bullshit, we only invoke for borderline cases
>(DM) that seems a bit strong, are you sure you want to do it? Because the baddies will be able to do it to you as well
>(Player) Uhhh...no, that's fine. I'll do something else.

an example might be, say, allowing two characters to grab a third and toss them off a cliff in one round (as a sort of tandem action) instead of just following the grapple rules. It might sound reasonable first, but when you add, "okay but you know there's a large group of goblins out looking to kill you guys." Players weigh the consequences.

Sometimes we say "yeah that's cool." or we say "Ok, fuck that. we'll kill them the old fashioned way."
>>
>>53700252
Tactical Wit is fucking OP.
>>
>>53700332
That isn't a borderline case, that spell is fucking retarded.
>>
>>53700355
Uhh...I'm not saying it's not. I even said >we do not allow absolute bullshit

In fact, this is me >>53700053
>>
>>53700335
Not really, their level 2's are pretty powerful but very passive. Tactical Wit has proven itself to make him nearly always be top in the intitave though. Arcane Deflection is basically "I get a weaker Shield spell for free".

Level 6 is weak, but dropping a super Fireball has it's place.

Level 11 is fucking retarded. +2 to ever defensive thing pretty much all the time is just too much.

Level 14 is cool, probably should've been the level 6 or 11 though.
>>
>>53700385
Well, carry on then.
>>
Are there any Evil or Neutral gods for Light Clerics? Going for an Aztec themed Lizardfolk Cleric.
>>
>>53700530
Asmodeus could do.

Any fire or hell god can do
>>
>>53694534
I have an idea regarding the Immortal Order for Mystics.

For the AC calculation, I think it should be Con Mod + Dex OR Str Mod + 10. Limiting it just to Dex seems odd as the Immortal seems to be a close up tank type rather than a Dex dagger / bow user. Can anyone see a reason as to why this would be overpowered?
>>
>>53698961
Your DM's retarded because rules clearly state you don't have to kill shit to get combat exp; you just have to win.

Granted, it's ultimately up to him. But if he's gonna cheat you like that he might as well be running milestones so that he can just choose when he wants you to be leveling up.
>>
File: 1496957127501.png (320KB, 600x407px) Image search: [Google]
1496957127501.png
320KB, 600x407px
Is it even possible to reach mid to high levels without the DM throwing out XP like breadcrumbs at a duck pond?
>>
Any tips to help imagination flow and get involved into a game?
I got bored easily in last sessions we had. I'm a shit player treating everything like a video game, ignoring roleplay or barely getting involved to avoid trouble. The only thing I do correctly is the battle encounters we have.
Our party is a ragtag group of goblins that destroyed a small kingdom by planting explosives in the sewers. We also assembled other monster tribes to go against the remaining kingdoms of our villain. I'm playing Land Mountain Druid and basically assuming the role of the healer/caster.
>>
>>53700666
Yes Satan just have to have the right group who doesn't mind playing together and has the patience to get there.
>>
>>53700729
>just have to have the right group who doesn't mind playing together and has the patience to get there.
That's a no go.
>>
>>53700688
>I'm a shit player treating everything like a video game, ignoring roleplay or barely getting involved to avoid trouble
Stop doing this you fucking autistic retard.
>>
>>53700688
>I got bored easily in last sessions we had.
Put down your phone
>I'm a shit player treating everything like a video game,
Pay attention
>ignoring roleplay
Participate
>or barely getting involved to avoid trouble.
Try to have fun
>>
>>53700530
Helm, Frigga, and some Eberron one are the canon options, and are neutral.
>>
>>53700688
Why the actual fuck are you playing a roleplaying game if you ignore roleplay, avoid getting involved and treat everything like a video game?
What the fuck.
>>
>>53695834
You're probably just an idiot.
>>
Fighter archer or Ranger archer?
Guess it never hurts to have a couple in Fighter anyways.
>>
>>53699018
Tyranny of dragons isn't an adventure, it's a story. A story you are forced to participate in or abandon entirely. It holds your hand throughout and if you let go it should quickly become obvious that the events have left you behind.

In addition, it's mired in set pieces. Very deadly set pieces. Which you can't really ignore or not interact with, but will kill you if you interact with them wrong. Fights are also horribly balanced, especially at the start--which is even worse, because for a low level adventurer there's little you can do to change that situation.
>>
>>53700880
Fighter Archer if you just want to kick ass
Ranger Archer if you want to be more useful to the party outside of combat
>>
>>53700880
Fighter is objectively better
>>
>>53700666
No

>Be me
>Party starts a new campaign
>We play weekly
>Campaign stops from a month
>Everyone wants to start a new one instead of continuing where we stopped
>At level 1

Every time
>>
>>53700760
I'm trying. I'm getting sick of this behavior but I don't know where to start.
>>53700770
I'll try to take it easy. It's supposed to be fun time with friends.
>>53700790
Because it's one of the only social activities I have with people close enough to call friends.
>>
>>53699218
Follow up question. Is Voice of the Chain Master worth a invo slot?
>>
>>53700921
Why are you making the game worse for your friends?

Fucking roleplay, get involved and participate you fucking autist.
>>
>>53700666
Yes, honestly thought you should go from levels 1-5 fast as shit even with XP in normal encounters.

We play weekly and in 4 weeks we're up to level 3 and about half way to level 4.
>>
Two of my players keep an in-character journal of the events of the campaign. Pretty cool way to keep track of what's going on
>>
>>53700666
nope
>>
>>53701053
That's a pretty cool idea. I keep a log of what happens each adventure, but switching it so it's in-character would be even cooler.
>>
>>53700880
Ranger is objectively better
>>
>>53699613
Do none of you actually read these super overpowered or super nerfed things you're calling super overpowered or super nerfed? Cursebringer was never compatible with the hexblade's features; it's a greatsword and you can only charisma-key your attacks with weapons that don't have 2-handed. If anything, the new updates are an upgrade for Hexblade.

And honestly, that's the only thing (charisma-key to melee attacks) that Hexblade give melee. Everything else it does is actually just as good for EB spam and the lvl 6 feature is straight-up better for EB spam while being near-useless for melee.

Hexblade was made to be a true gish; you're gonna use all your invocations boosting EB and weapon attacks and your out of combat utility will suffer to make you basically a flavorful fighter.
>>
>>53700937
Most likely. Without it the familiar can't function as a long range scout because of the 100 feet limitation. That's also one thing people tend to gloss over when they say tome can replace chain
>>
>>53701102
The Eldritch smite nerf was a 50% cut that made it a trap option, also all those old invocations and Hexblade aren't a thing anymore. It'll be updated in XGE, but until then Bladelock is dead.
>>
>>53701313
What do you need Bladelock to do? All it needs is to be equal or higher average damage then EB. It does that for 75% of the game, doesn't even need Hexblade to do that. What do you expect it to be? An edgy Paladin with burst damage? Because it's still a Warlock focused on being able to do stuff all day, not Nova super hard once per rest.
>>
Writing for a semi-homebrew setting. What's a better base: World Axis, or Great Wheel?

Both have up/downsides. Planes being dimensions are cool, but being able to fly between them in a ship is also cool
>>
>>53701313
>all those old invocations and Hexblade aren't a thing anymore

Invocations from previous UA are overwritten when new UA comes out? Is that just because Eldritch Smite became a thing?

>and Hexblade

What? Hexblade is just gone? What do you mean?
>>
>>53701382
It's exceedingly mediocre at all things now with the highest opportunity cost in the game. It does marginally less damage with spell-slot investment, that's fucking insane to think about. A warlock not using slots can nearly compete with one blowing it whenever possible. And even if EB blaster falls behind in damage it'll still shit out triple the utility from range.

What I want, and what other players want is for the class to not be filled to the fucking brim with trap options, and "taxes" in the form of mandatory invocations while other classes get their features for free and are actually effective.
>>
>>53701491
Newest UA states right at the start that the new invocations are meant to replace the old, and Mearls said that Hexblade has a rework coming in that Cursebringer is now a core feature of it. Old Hexblade is invalidated.
>>
>>53701468
I prefer the idea of World Axis.
If you want sailing, add portals big enough to make a ship pass through it, then you make some dimension being the preferred for transportation as it is a 1/4 scale to the world, but is dangerous as fuck.
>>
>>53701493
It's not though, EB does 2d10+8 at level 5 if you take the 1 tax. Hexblade Bladelock does the exact same damage with 1 tax.

If you invest more into the invocations then EB gets more utility yes, and Bladelock gets more damage. The way I see it Bladelock's focused around having a good average damage with Warlocks abilities and EBlock's got good at-will control with Warlock abilities. You can't say that giving it a super burst would add utility, that's bullshit.

Also as far as I'm concerned there's 1 invocation EBlocks need and 2 Bladelocks need. The rest can be spent on whatever the fuck you want. Be it more damage or utility.

It's good noting that once again, spending a single ASI on PAM makes Bladelocks very fucking good. There's no mechanical issue with Hexblade as is, other pacts are pretty shitty with it and require a dip into Fighter most of the time. They're still salvagable though.
>>
File: pally.png (389KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
pally.png
389KB, 800x600px
So how would you guys rate the new Conqueror paladin?

Do you like it more or less than the old one?
>>
Sleep, Burning Hands, or Ice Knife?
>>
>>53701672
Burning Hands unless you're level 1, then pick Sleep.
>>
>>53701744
I am level 1 yes, I have 7 hp. Thank you.
>>
>>53701628
>>53701493
So which is it?
>>
>>53694736
i'm glad you liked my pic for your PC
>>
>>53701672
Sleep > Ice Knife > Burning Hands.
Sleep: good for starting fights against mooks, and you can stop a fight against a wounded enemy using it as its a no-save. Might fall out of use later, but so does the other two.
Ice Knife: 5 range AoE.
Burning Hands: you need to be at melee range to cast it.

Also, do already have Chromatic Orb?
>>
>Think sorcerers are just whiny bitches
>Play one
I NEED MORE SPELLS
>>
>>53694534
what college of bards i have to take if i want to be a ranged crossbow guy?
>>
>>53701628
The only mechanical issue is that it is a worse paladin at nearly all stages. Worse proficiencies, worse hit-die, worse utility, worse slots, worse features all the way up until around mystic arcanum kicks in. You pay through the nose to make it "salvageable" as you so eloquently put.
>>
>>53701782
Are you claiming to be the artist?
>>
>>53697534
I liked the idea of being able to erase and draw various things on the fly a lot better.

I can draw a symbol, write a cryptic note, put the puzzle on it, etc.

Or in combat I can draw my own "hexes" to note spacing.

I felt it was more versatile than normal paper mats.
>>
>>53701795
Figured that's how it would stack up. I'm pretty new so I grabbed burning hands because big numbers. I'll switch it to sleep at level 2, or just ask my DM if I can swap it behind the scenes, considering I haven't actually used it yet.

No, I was going to grab it but 50g diamond per cast.
>>
File: 1488431630414.png (699KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1488431630414.png
699KB, 1280x720px
>>53700792
You got me.
>>
>>53701798
>Think warlocks are just whiny bitches
>Play one
GUYS, LET'S TAKE AN 1 HOUR NAP REAL QUICK
>>
>>53701777
Blade pact Warlocks are shitty Paladins, if you are okay with knowing that go for it. Frankly with the new Conquest Oath I don't see the appeal of Hexblade anymore.
>>
>>53701804
just the guy who posted it in the thread
>>
>>53701795
>Sleep: good for starting fights
even better at ending them. People forget that sleep works off of current HP. Near the end of a fight, sleep essentially turns into chromatic orb+
>>
>>53701782
Thanks again
>>
>>53701829
My DM reduced short rests to 10 minutes. Monk and Warlock rejoiced
>>
>>53701838
Then word it better. It's not your pic, it's a pic you found.
>>
>>53701829
How would warlock fair if they got more invocations that allowed them to do at-will spells, or even do a number-of-times = cha mod, BUT took away the short rest recharge, and gave them half caster slots/progression. With the real power coming from at-will invocations that have level prereqs.

Turn all their high level spells into 1/day abilities.
>>
>>53701843
Yes, just cast damaging spells or reduce their hp to be a more manageable level for sleep.
>>
>>53701902
Oh, and naturally increase the number of invocations they actually get.
While also properly spacing the strong options to higher levels so dipping warlock isn't as juicy as it is now.
>>
>>53701902
At that point you should just copy full caster stats and call it a day.
>>
>>53701468
I feel like sailing between planes works more smoothly and feels more fantasy-ish than the Great Wheel. Go with the World Axis.
>>
>>53701837
Maybe people don't want to play paladins but do want to play warlocks.
>>
>>53694534

help me making a new char for a one shot.
>>
>>53701939
Nah
>>
>>53701924
I dunno, it seems they really want warlocks to feel like they have less magical power but are very proficient at what they do learn.

Alternative idea.
What if patron spell lists were reworked so that the ones you get access to due to your patron became at-will spells, or 1/day.
Maybe... 1/day, then 2/day, and eventually 3/day
>>
>>53701939
champion fighter, put points into str and con, done.
>>
>>53701939
Buttsly the halfling monk
>>
>>53701935
Their loss then, every Warlock I've played with has rerolled after a half dozen sessions because they are shit to play.
>>
>>53701939
play a chaotic evil half elf sorcerer xD
>>
>>53701939
Pat the angry ginger gnome barbarian

He is always angry and has an obsession with collecting birds.

Dump CON
>>
File: 1465681077555.png (2MB, 1214x1109px) Image search: [Google]
1465681077555.png
2MB, 1214x1109px
>>53701966
EBIN XDDD

I bet no one ever thought of dipping a sorcerer into a warlock for EB!!!!
>>
>>53701777
No resources.

EBlock with Agonising Blast.
Level 1: 1d10 (5.5)
Level 5: 2d10+8 (19)
Level 10: 2d10+10 (21)
Level 15: 3d10+15 (31.5)
Level 20: 4d10+20 (42)

Hexblade with Thirsting Blade and Lifedrinker. Picks up PAM with first ASI.
Level 1: 1d10+3 (8.5)
Level 5: 2d8+1d4+9 (20.5)
Level 10: 2d8+1d4+12 (23.5)
Level 15: 2d8+1d4+30 (41.5)
Level 20: 2d8+1d4+30 (41.5)

Paladin with first ASI spent on PAM.
Level 1: 1d10+3 (8.5)
Level 5: 2d10+1d4+9 (22.5)
Level 10: 2d10+1d4+12 (25.5)
Level 15: 2d10+1d4+3d8+15 (41)
Level 20: 2d10+1d4+3d8+15 (41)

Other then this both classes have their own spellcasting, defensive and out of combat abilities. Is Bladelock fair? Yes. You won't have as much utility as EBlock but it's perfectly viable.

Unlike Paladin you'll probably want to be using spells for things like Devils Sight+Darkness and etc.
>>
>>53702010
lmao! awesome!
oh, and make sure he's a drow but kind of a loner and doesn't trust anyone because he was a orphan after he killed his parents because they were weak
>>
>>53701892
Short rests aren't exactly a problem with my group.
We've already figured me and the monk need to rest often.

>>53701902
The class identity is to be limited but powerful, no point in giving them more spells or slots, even one extra slot makes it too strong.
Only gripes with it is the limited invocations. A point mechanic would've been better (like how metamagic has Quickened costing 2 and others scaling with spell levels), so I'd have a pool of Eldritch Points (TM) and could get the more fluff features as well.
Also, agonizing blast shouldn't be an invocation at all, should've be like Knowledge Cleric 8 and Evocation Wizard 6 features.
>>
>>53701939
PHB ranger/monk of the four elements. Nice and easy.
>>
>>53701966
>>53702010
>>53702031

That's so rad guys thanks XD!!!
>>
File: 1471948454215.jpg (238KB, 1024x1357px) Image search: [Google]
1471948454215.jpg
238KB, 1024x1357px
>>53702031
No you idiot it was the fiend that he made the warlock pact with

Now he's on a quest to kill his dragon ancestor as a sorcerer because the fiend possessed him and used his innate draconic powers to kill his family

So he is haunted by the guilt and shunned by his weakness as his inner demon transforms him into what he's been fighting against all along

Also if he's a drow he has to be lawful good lmao xD
>>
>>53702077
>No you idiot it was the fiend that he made the warlock pact with
fuck you that was a spoiler I was gonna tell him to reveal later after he killed the rest of the party in their sleep
>>
>>53702030
>All that math to show that it's only equal after 12 levels and a feat
Sure is convincing.
>>
>>53702077
Wait until I talk about this one on le reddit XD
>>
Warlock was a mistake. They should have been a type of Wizard.
>>
File: 1490552095127.jpg (65KB, 285x541px) Image search: [Google]
1490552095127.jpg
65KB, 285x541px
>>53702097
You fucking stupid poopie-head it isn't a spoiler it's the most basic aspect of his personality

How about you think of an original concept for once instead of stealing great ideas?

btw i got that idea about the inner demon from naruto it's my favorite anime XD
>>
>>53702133
Short rests were a mistake.
>>
>>53702133
They're fine, they just fucked up with the UAs adding so much stuff getting on each class' toes. Smites on Warlocks, metamagic-like features on Wizard, Cleric spell list on every class you can think of.
I'm amazed they didn't gave wild shape to another class.
>>
>warlock exclusive item
>allows the player to cut himself for 20 slashing damage
>cannot be resisted or reduced
>upon doing so he regains a spell slot
CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES
>>
>>53702150
Not wrong.
>>
>>53702189
>Just 20 damage
Not exactly a last resort
>>
>>53702223
And now for something completely different.
>>
>>53702230
Should make it scale with level desu.
>>
>>53701744
Burning Hands is probably terrible for him.If he's a squishy then he doesn't really want to be that close to throw out a short range cone of low damage. Sleep is better, hands-down. He should definitely replace it later if he can, but not with Burning Hands - pick up a utility spell later on.

>>53701672
What class?
>>
>>53702599
Sorcerer, wild mage. Level 1.
>>
>>53702189
>>53702250
10 damage per level of the spell slot recovered; the spell slot expires if not used by the end of the character's next turn.
>>
>>53702644
Take Sleep and hold on to it until you hit level 5, then swap it out.
I would swap it for Silent Image, personally. Lot of utility to get out of that one if you're creative and the DM isn't a jerk.
>>
>>53702716
Thanks anon. Any suggestions for cantrips? I've just been spamming chill touch. Thinking Frostbite is probably better.
>>
>>53702731
Cantrip for damage? I'd take Firebolt or Frostbite. They're the stand-outs. You could also use a crossbow, DESU. It's not that much of a difference at level 1.
Mage Hand and Minor Illusion are good for utility and I'd be surprised if anyone could regret picking them.
The fourth cantrip is a little more niche. "Friend" is good in it's limited scope, but you're charismatic anyway and it pisses the dude off. Sometimes you don't care (interrogation), usually you do.
Message can be handy if you have a guy that likes to scout ahead, otherwise it might not get used much.
Prestidigitation is a great catch-all but it's pretty much designed to look infinitely useful while actually being useless. Every DM I've ever had has shot down any use of a Prestidigitation that would give a player a mechanical bonus. If your DM let's you do something other than wash and dry stuff, it might be good.
Create Bonfire can be used as an area-denial ability. Limited by the small space, so only shines if you have a choke point. And in a few levels, the damage drops off.
>>
>>53702978
Thanks, I have Chill Touch, Mage Hand, Message, and Shocking Grasp. I'm a Wood Elf because I'm a masochist that sacrifices numbers for "quirks". At least I can use a long bow because of that. Maybe I'll take all utility, save for shocking grasp as a "run away without getting one shot via opportunity" and just shoot dudes. Glad my choices were at least decent then.
>>
>>53703125
>shocking grasp as a "run away without getting one shot via opportunity"
I would personally either try not to be in that position, or suck it up and use the Disengage action. But YMMV and it does have some combat utility not just for you, but also for helping an ally.
Definitely drop Chill Touch. It's hot garbage.
>>
>>53703244
The plan was to use quicken spell to make it useable with burning hands as a hit and run. After having some actual combat experience (2 centaurs as a level 1 party. Burning Hands was not happening) I quickly realized that wasn't happening. I'll probably replace it once I'm more comfortable and have more than 7 hp.
>>
>>53701043
>>53701043
This.

Level 2 should be reached during the first session. If you leave game 1 without gaining a level, your sessions are WAY too short, or your GM is an idiot.

Level 3 should be reached by the end of session 2. Maybe during session 3 if things are going slowly.

By session 4, you should be well on your way to level 4.

You are meant to get the first few levels at an incredibly high pace. I have dealt with shitty GMs who kept us at level 1 for 3 fucking sessions, and out us through 4 encounters, that each should have given us far more than necessary to gain a level.

Instead he kept us at level 1, struggling against very difficult encounters, with 0 tools to handle them with. Literally "No Fun Allowed"-The GM.

We all abandoned game when he refuses to listen to our suggestions, which turned to complaints, and ended up as a "get your shit together" confrontation. He refused to budge.

GMs can do whatever they like, sure. Walking off by themselves is one of those things.
>>
>>53703309
Good; you're paying attention to what works and what doesn't. That's more than I can say for some players I've known.
More unsolicited advice:
As a Sorc, your spell selection is very important. You have a limited number of spells you'll ever know. try not to overlap effects.
Try not to keep a bunch of direct-damage spells hanging around. A single damaging cantrip is good to have for at will damage, but other than that don't fill out you list with fireball and chain lightning. It's more resource-efficient to cripple the enemy and let the muscular murder hobos kill it to death with their at-will power attacks and sneak attacks.
Pay attention to spells that require concentration. You can only concentrate on one spell at a time, so in addition to competing for your limited spells known they also compete for what you have available to cast.
Think about whether you want to keep Shocking Grasp for escaping once Misty Step and Mirror Image become available (level 3).
The key to effectively debuffing/disabling the enemy is variety. Spells that target a variety of saves or a variety of damage types.
Keep your metamagic in mind when picking spells. Twin Spell in particular can really boost the power of Concentration spells.

You will only ever know 15 spells and 6 cantrips. Choose carefully, and abuse the fuck out of the ability to swap one spell every level.
>>
>>53703309
>tfw Sun Soul Monk and can't replace Burning Hands
>>
>>53703589
I was planning on building him more oriented around crowd control since my other party members seem pretty eager to roll damage dice. Thinking about it that longbow is looking pretty useful now.
I was thinking I'd take Suggestion as my first level 2, then Enlarge/Reduce because it sounds fucking neat, then probably Crown of Madness. How's that sound? I'm obsessing over my spell choices a bit too much, so there's no worry there. Really I should have picked a Wizard but I really like Wild Magic fuckery.
>>
>>53703720
Suggestion can be fun, especially out-of-combat. Terrible for combat, though, since it ends the moment the enemy gets hit by you or an ally.
Crown of Madness requires you to give up YOUR action to maintain it each round. The target also gets to make a saving throw every round. It also targets the same save (Wisdom) as Suggestion. If you're looking for a combat spell in this vein, I'd say take Hold Person (and get rid of it down the line when Hold Monster shows up).
Enlarge/Reduce is really underwhelming in practice if you don't have a dedicated grappler. The out of combat utility of shifting by a single size category is also not very spectacular. Enhance Ability is much better - but if you have a Cleric, you might try convincing him to handle that instead, when it's needed.
Keep in mind that all of those spells are concentration, and thus mutually exclusive in use. Suggestion, Crown of Madness, and Hold Person also all target WIS.

My personal picks at this level would be:
Mirror Image: Defensive (personal) buff which does not require concentration, unlike Blur.
Blindness/Deafness: Offensive debuff which does not require concentration AND later on you can expend a higher-level spell slot to blind/deafen multiple creatures. CON save.

Misty Step is a solid runner-up to Mirror Image if you want something with slightly more utility (30-foot bonus action teleport) that still has some defensive use (teleport out of melee range and still have your regular action to make use of).

Suggestion is a solid choice for out-of-combat utility with some combat use.

Web and Invisibility are good at this level. I would swap them when better spells come along.

Don't let autistic min-max mindset dictates spell selection entirely, though. Thematics are important, too. And keep other spell casters in the party in mind. If they plan to cover a certain area, that can give you more freedom to focus and not try to cover as much ground as possible with as few spells as you can.
>>
>>53704088
I figured Crown of Madness would be good since both teams effectively lose a member, but we get their member's attack so it's a net gain. Factoring in the save though I guess hold person would probably be better. If I twin spell crown can I only maintain one of them with my action?
I didn't consider mirror image enough. It's way better than I thought it was, I'll probably grab that after suggestion then. I know my DM will let me get away with a bunch of nonsense with Suggestion.

I'm the guy who posted >>53699945
so I think it's safe to say the other casters will be pretty focused on damage.
>>
>>53704222
> If I twin spell crown can I only maintain one of them with my action?
It's still a single spell, so it only takes one Action to maintain.

And yeah, if your DM is allowing that Null Sphere thing into his game, I can only imagine that's he's going to be lenient on Charm and Illusion spells.
I tend to stick to spells with solid and explicit effects when I can because I don't trust my DM to follow rule-of-cool, so my preferences will differ from yours.

Another thing I want to point out is that when you re-train a spell, you can turn a lower level spell in for a higher level one. Most first level spells become pretty trash at higher levels, but you start off with three of them before you get a higher slot level opened.
Shield is good forever. Once you hit level five or so, it would not be an awful thing at all if you used your 1st-level slots to exclusively cast Shield. I personally don't like taking Mage Armor, but if your Dex is low you might feel like you need it. If you do, then at higher levels your 1st-level spell use will probably be reduced to Mage Armour when you wake up, and then Shield every time someone swings at you. Trade the third spell in for something higher-level.
>>
>>53704348
My DM is just starting out as well, hence the Null Sphere. I talked to him about it after the thread confirmed that I was not just being a baby and he agrees that it isn't sticking around. He's eager to just do a bunch of cool story stuff and have fun with that sort of thing, I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of it.
I had forgotten known spells isn't limited by level. That changes some things, thanks. I always associate that with spell slot levels. Is it at all common to trade the first level slots in for sorcery points?

How about meta-magic? I was thinking Twinned Spell and Extend Spell, since I'm going for more crowd control and utility I figure the duration would be useful.
>>
>>53704420
You only have four 1st-level slots, and if you spend one on Mage Armour then you get three Sorcery Points out of it. But you're giving up a +5 AC bonus for one sorcery point. You might need to do it, but I'd rather keep the slots and trade in a single higher level spell.

Twinned spell is GOAT.
Extend spell is trash. Combat spells already last long enough that the thing should be dead before the duration wears off. Out-of-combat spells generally last more than long enough. How often do you think you'll really need a sixteen-hour Suggestion versus an eight-hour Suggestion?

Quicken Spell is fantastic, if you have a quality Cantrip to spam (for example, Frostbite, to repeatedly inflict Disadvantage on the enemies' attacks).

Heighten Spell is great. Disadvantage on the saving throw is huge.

Empower Spell is actually not bad this edition, but I'm not a blaster type of fellow and it sounds like your party has damage covered.

Distant Spell is niche as fuck don't waste your time. Careful spell isn't very great compared to just being careful with your spell use. Subtle spell can be fun to roleplay with but is otherwise not really useful.

Would personally pick up Twin and Quicken at 3rd and Heighten at 10th, when you'll have a better stable of save-spells and the sorcery points to support the cost.
>>
>>53704759
Sounds good. Thanks for all the advice anon. The bad thing about a group game like this is I don't want to bother other people while I get experience.
>>
>>53704420
I've mentioned advantage/disadvantage a couple of times and I cannot overstate how important it is to exploit this mechanic in 5th edition.

http://anydice.com/program/6d8c

Change the graphs to "less than" to see what the probability of rolling the target number is. The top graph is disadvantage, the bottom graph is advantage. Middle is a straight 1d20. The probability swing in the center range (5 to 15) is huge.
>>
>>53704804
It's no problem anon. Have fun!
Thread posts: 377
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.