[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starting a new campaign -imr or slow?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: DMCat8.jpg (461KB, 1280x1051px) Image search: [Google]
DMCat8.jpg
461KB, 1280x1051px
So tomorrow is the day - A new group of players that had never even heard of roleplayng before and me, foreverGM after a five-year break.

We've already settled that the characters know each other, where they are going and why. Now I'm wondering though, should I start them off in media res or take it slow? Any experiences on those two?

System is FATE if anyone cares.
>>
>>53690923
You probably want to take it slow and be careful if they've never played the game before.
>>
>>53690923
I'm in the same boat.

Killed a player character off on the first session so the players know what's up.

Now they're all terrified.

Just as planned.
>>
>>53691230
>>53691318
I wasn't planning on having them start in the middle of a fight, I was thinking more along the lines of "Hey! wake up! City has gone dark and weirdly armored dudes are going house to house rounding people up in the town square" in far less words.
>>
>>53691371
OH LORD. Are you doing a holocaust in the game?
>>
>>53691371
Yeah starting in media Res is good. I started my current campaign more slowly and it ended up being pretty boring.
>>
>>53691371
I wouldn't really call that in medias res. In medies res implies that something has already happened, not that action is just starting.
>>
>>53691424
Depending on player action it may lead to that far further down the line. Right now, the "big bad" just wants people to leave his holy land that they have settled without knowing that he even exists.
>>
>>53691448
Should I make it more like that then?
"You were asleep when they came, as you woke to the sound of your front door being kicked in half the town was already gone. You made your way unto the roof, the pursuers, whoever they may be, stikll in the house, looking for you"
>>
>>53690923
Treat it like anal sex
Lube it up to hell and back, but get down to it fast, and don't pull out till everyone is finished
>>
>>53692112
That made me chuckle... and actually sounds like a good idea.
>>
>>53691932
I wasn't criticizing you, just pointing out that that doesn't really count as in medias res. And I'd try to make it more snappy. More description, less exposition: Figuring out WTF just happened can wait until the scene is over. Something along the lines of "It's the middle of the night, you're running through the backyard in your pajamas, some masked freaks with guns may or may not be coming after you. What do you do?"
>>
File: DMCat5.jpg (601KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
DMCat5.jpg
601KB, 1536x2048px
>>53692225
Sounds good. Short and snappy should get them into the mood right away and give me a grip on how creative they are.
>>
>>53692310
An example of a good in medias res would be(this is something I saw in a delta green or yog-sothery thread once. Paraphrased, because I don't have the original): "You're all in a small, no-name town, standing around the corpse of a man one of you killed. Suddenly, a cell-phone rings. No doubt it's the A-cell, asking for a report." There's very little exposition, but the description still establishes a lot of things and informs the players what kind of game it'll be(if they weren't clear on that already): The PCs are all members of the same cell, they've already been working together, so there's no need for introductions and shit, they're willing to kill if that's what it takes to get the job done, etc. It also gives the players cues with which to establish their characters(and which might not be part of their backstory): Who did the deed? Who's the leader of the cell(and therefore the one getting a call from the A-cell)? Do you keep a poker face while standing next to a still-warm corpse? Do you throw up? Something else?

For context: Delta Green(the old one, mind you, apparently the new one that just came out changed some things a bit) is a spin-off of Call of Cthulhu. The PCs are agents of a governmental conspiracy that tries to deal with all the lovecraftian shit that's going on. Officially, it was disbanded a long time ago, so things get a bit tricky when officials who aren't part of it get involved(to put it mildly).
>>
>>53692590
Thats genius. Less is more I guess.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.