[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

On the Subject of Gunpowder

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1491957734216.jpg (214KB, 1060x1535px) Image search: [Google]
1491957734216.jpg
214KB, 1060x1535px
So how fast do you think gunpowder would spread across the world, /tg/?

Obviously it'll spread in some ways much faster than others, the slowest would be adoption by an entire military, both out of the typically slow adoption of tech and not having the money to suddenly rearm and retrain an entire army with a brand new state of the art weapon. However, what about everyone else?

How quickly would private guards/nobles/mercenaries and the like start to switch over to the fancy new weapons? How many craftsmen would suddenly try to learn the art of gunsmithing, and how much would the increase of gunsmiths affect the demand for guns?

This is all extremely dependent on the setting and there will be no one answer, but perhaps some of you fine gentlemen could share how quickly it spread in your setting? Or if you were to introduce it right now if you haven't already, how would it go?
>>
>>53687919
here is something to think about:
Gunpowder weapons predates all the armoured fencing manuals we know.
>>
What is it with epaulettes on top of pauldrons? This is the thirt art with them I've seen in 24 hours.
>>
>>53687919
There's a flow to things that you seem to have missed:

>Sieges are expensive, walls are hard to knock down
>Dude figures out you can lob balls at things with gunpowder, and it's really good at knocking down walls
>Cannon are really expensive but really good for sieges so everyone starts scraping together cash for their own
>Powder gets cheaper as demand goes up and manufacturing responds
>Cheaper powder lets people experiment with smaller cannon in counter-infantry roles
>Eventually you have state-run powder production as a necessary institution of warfare and handheld firearms

Notice how everything ties back to powder. You ain't doing shit without it. Guns are cheap and can last a hundred years, powder is the stuff so valuable they issued warrants to let people walk away with your wooden stable for the saltpeter. A large part of British naval dominance came from securing control of the saltpeter in India.

Small formations like private guards are unlikely to utilize early firearms in any significant role because they belch out too much smoke. Early modern warfare relied on mass formations to brute force visibility issues with volume of fire.
>>
>>53687919
gunpowder spreads when war gets to the point that previus martial conventions break down
>>
>>53688113
also the refinement of powder is a big thing
he faster and cleaner it burns the better the bang and thus the more powerfull the shot
>>
>>53687919
>How quick

Depends on the state of technological R&D, trade access, and industrial capacity of a given region. Black powder wasn't refined for centuries and only existed as experimental weaponry in China for a long time. After that they became siege weapons, and eventually muskets.

Under the best conditions it would take hundreds of years for muskets and firearms to become the main weapon of said given region.
>>
>>53687919
Gunpowder can spread fast but don't expect good guns in the first 300 years. It requires time and experiments to develop.
>>
File: 1429664000654.jpg (435KB, 900x639px) Image search: [Google]
1429664000654.jpg
435KB, 900x639px
>What if gunpowder was invented by the Ancient Egyptians during the bronze age?
>>
>>53689032
I doubt they'd have found much use for it beyond sieges.
Kinda like the Chinese didn't end up developing muskets, because their principal enemy at the time were horsenomad, against whom eraly guns were pretty useless.
>>
>>53687919
Basic guns (tubes with a fuse hole) are way shittier than a good longbow and trained archers, but its easier to train people to load a gun, than draw a bow.

>>53688113
I wouldn't say guns are cheap, but they a are one time buy. They are also a lot easier to move then weight based system, and simpler than a torsion one.
>>
>>53689863
>I wouldn't say guns are cheap, but they a are one time buy. They are also a lot easier to move then weight based system, and simpler than a torsion one.
A good cannon is expensive, but a matchlock would only run about a month's pay if I remember right. Expensive enough that you don't want to lose them, but cheap enough that you're willing to issue to them to people with a history of gambling debt and loose morals.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.