[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help making my game more cinematic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6

File: 9045e3affe5adda9b66d9aafcf32bb2e.jpg (195KB, 1332x599px) Image search: [Google]
9045e3affe5adda9b66d9aafcf32bb2e.jpg
195KB, 1332x599px
I'm running the players to the next quest which is located in the Huntsmans forest, imagine the forsworn but not human.

I'm looking to make my game more than this low budget fantasy movie, i want to up the scale in every area. none of my sets or descriptions are very nice, the NPC's are normal as can be, and the enemies are standard, nothing special about them. plus the quest essential things to do are never fun or cool, nothing like place the orb on the pedestal and watch the tower of thorns erupt from the lava in the shape of a dragon.

how can i better improve the game. I've been running for two years and I'm an okay GM but i feel its just not interesting enough, its only good.

id like to start by making my next quest a little more showey, all i know is the players need to ally themselves with these huntsman for the upcoming war. but i want to make the quest to do so something interesting.

mind giving me a hand? ill be back in a few hours to answer any questions. uhm, the system is Anima beyond fantasy too so most anything is possible.
>>
> none of my sets or descriptions are very nice, the NPC's are normal as can be, and the enemies are standard, nothing special about them. plus the quest essential things to do are never fun or cool, nothing like place the orb on the pedestal and watch the tower of thorns erupt from the lava in the shape of a dragon.

It seems like you're aware of what you'd like to upgrade in regards to your GMing, all you really need to do is execute your vision bro.

Outside of just giving you things to use, all I would say is just read more books and watch more movies. See a side character or set piece you like? Ape it, shamelessly. The way in which your players interact with it will likely twist it beyond what you took the seed from.

As far as making your games more "cinematic," that could mean a couple things. If it is you trying to bolster your descriptive prose, again, read and read. Try finding a few actual screenplays for your favorite movies and read those, they're generally written in ways to convey a pretty strict sense of image and layout in a more concise way than novels. If you mean more pacing, remember that there is usually some internal drive or external pressure that keeps the heroes of a good story moving.
>>
>>53689352
this is actually pretty great advice, thank you. ill look into what i can find.
>>
File: portal_room.jpg (73KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
portal_room.jpg
73KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>
>>
>>
just some high cinematic art to work from
>>
>>53687447
Just try and relax. You can't force inspiration, the harder you try to "think of something cool" the harder it will get. As >>53689352 this anon said, just start reading random things. Look at some cool art, read a book, listen to some music.

If you really feel you have to actively do some work on your campaign, my best advice is to mentally run through how you think your game will go. Make a basic, generic outline of your session with the important plot points, then sort of play out the session in your mind. When I say play it out, I really mean play it out, like imagine your players physically sitting there, and sitting through your session, rolling their dice, reacting to whatever you bring up.

Then, find the places where you feel the pacing will drag. The unnecessary skill checks. The generic NPC. The expected outcome. The not-so-flashy setpiece. Take these boring bits and either cut them, replace them, or just make them really wild. Then go back to the rest of your plans and adjust them accordingly. Then repeat the process. If you really focus and get into the rhythm, you'll eventually find you can't stop, as your mind starts coming up with more "wait, what if we did this instead," and you make your session more exciting.

Basically, what I'm saying is, it is really hard to be spontaneously imaginative. Real artists don't get their ideas in flashbulb moments. Most of it is actually just sitting down and putting in a lot of effort, and trying to get some momentum going.
>>
>>53690224
Skill checks. Riiiight I really need to work those into the game as well, I don't have enough challenges that can't be solved by having a talk. Having a fight, or Having the key item
>>
>>53690224
>Then, find the places where you feel the pacing will drag.

Remember that no session is going to be high-octane action all the time, and that stuff that's not thrilling or exciting can have it's place if it serves to make the thrilling, exciting bit more thrilling and exciting.

When it comes to pacing, I'll aim for something that grabs the players attention at the very beginning of a session, then a slow build up towards another sort of exciting or climactic thing occurring towards the end of the session.
>>
Bum p
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.