[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Optimal Setting and Subject 5E

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_0117.jpg (62KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0117.jpg
62KB, 640x360px
It's known that most TTRPG systems work for specific settings and subjects better than others, and a big problem I have with 5E is that people try to shoe horn it when it makes no sense, however it also raises an interesting question, what would be the optimal setting and subject for 5E?
A few things I've come up with about the setting
>Bards, Clerics, Druids, Sorcers, Warlocks, and Wizards all have supernatural powers which are distinct
>At the very least all the races in the core rule book exist
>Combat is frequent enough in the world to justify using 5E
>>
File: DnD_default settingpng.png (171KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
DnD_default settingpng.png
171KB, 300x300px
>>53684427
Man, if only they like, wrote modules and guides on a setting where most all of their stuff fits?????
>>
>>53684427
>what would be the optimal setting and subject for 5E?
gonzo fantasy where literally nothing makes sense. which leads us incidentally to >>53685580
>>
File: 1421881829522.jpg (126KB, 800x1130px) Image search: [Google]
1421881829522.jpg
126KB, 800x1130px
>>53684427
>optimal setting

Depends on the Campaign you want to run. You can fit each class into a strictly Norse flavor setting. You can also fit each class into a strictly Arabian setting. Thats one of the best things about D&D having winnowed itself down over five editions - the classes are broad and flexible enough to work anywhere.

But the answer to your question? Certainly not fucking Forgotten Realms (>>53685580) because that setting has been done to death and theres no places for characters to do anything.

My answer? Golarion (Pathfinder)

>optimal subject

Adventure and Fortune, to win the hand of a bakers daughter, to live up to the legend of the Knight of Burgundymoor, to reclaim a lost nobility, to discover that which has been forgotten, and carve the name of your lost friend onto the very heart of the god of death.
>>
File: trpg-basicoedrev-capa.jpg (259KB, 500x670px) Image search: [Google]
trpg-basicoedrev-capa.jpg
259KB, 500x670px
There's a Brazilian setting created for 3.5e that tried to encompass literally everything, called Tormenta. It didn't work out so well, because you had cowboys with guns and Camelot next door for no reason. The setting explanation for why the sudden disconnect in culture and tech was that the Tormenta, storms formed from the remains of other planes of existence, keep running into things and leaving bits and pieces of their old universes. It seems pretty popular among the TTRPG community in Brazil, and has a few comics by Erica Awano, but a lot of people really dislike the disconnects.

I think there's a 5e conversion of it somewhere, but it's unofficial. Not like it would be hard to do; what set Tormenta apart mechanically from base 3.5 was that everyone got the equivalent of 5e's ASI/Feats every level, leading to extremely high power levels.
>>
Discworld
>>
>>53684427
Eberron
If it exists in D&D it exists in Eberron
>>
>>53687356
I actually liked Eberron as a setting. None of my play group wanted to play it, but they let me make an artificer from the book in his 4e campaign.
>>
File: theRestOFIT.jpg (204KB, 1080x576px) Image search: [Google]
theRestOFIT.jpg
204KB, 1080x576px
>>53687213
You can run anything in pthfinder's shit. They probably have a splatbook for it too. I personally like the FR setting and would like more material for running a game say... anywhere else besides the Sword coast? Sure Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter are established places and lots of people recognize it from various games, but look at all this stuff! I guess they're just greyhawking this area which is fine, I guess.
>>
So I'm going to be running a 5e campaign and I just don't the gall or autism to shit out a generic fantasy setting #956326 and call it "my original setting". For real, it like how every dad has their "famous chili" when it is in no way famous and probably doesn't even taste that great.

In short, which of the pre-established d&d settings is the best and where can I read up on the lore and cultures in it?
>>
>>53687449
If you want super generic, try Cormyr the Forest Kingdom from the Forgotten Realms. It was intentionally created to be super generic, for newbie DMs and people like you who don't want to waste time.

Here's the wiki for it http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Cormyr

But here's a 9 page PDF on it from 4e. It's easier to digest, and I don't think Cormyr's situation has changed all that much to 5e. I think Wheloon went back to normal, and that's it.
https://www.wizards.com/files/365_Backdrop_Cormyr.pdf
>>
>>53687449
The settings that I know of are
Forgotten realms
Birthright
Eberron
Greyhawk
Darksun
Dragon Lance?

There's probably the most stuff and it's probably easiest in FR, google any of these and it will bring up a wiki for it.
>>
>>53684427
If you consider how 5e was designed, the optimal setting would be one consisting purely of self-referential D&D jokes.
>>
This is one of the dumbest fucking questions I've ever seen asked in a thread on /tg/.
>>
>>53687487
There's also PoLand, which is official and "supported" in the form of the Dawn War Pantheon.

Also, Dragonlance's world is called Krynn. And is also supported. Hell, it's directly where the Minotaur UA race comes from.
>>
>>53687546
Is that all of the settings? I guess we can't count the ones that wizards copyrighted when submitted for the contest that gave eberron it's name.

oh, isn't Tel'dorei? (Critical roles setting) getting published?
>>
>>53687575
Not all. Mystara's also supported according to Perkins.
>https://twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/872222685543055360
And I neither know nor care about some podcast setting. But otherwise, yeah, I think that's everything.
>>
File: Toril 2E.png (77KB, 1288x524px) Image search: [Google]
Toril 2E.png
77KB, 1288x524px
>>53687443
That's not all of it, my man. This is all of it.

>>53687484
Cormyr's not as generic as it seems, if you remember that Vangerdahast and the royal mages look into the minds of the citizenry all the time to see if anybody's harbouring thoughts of treason to the crown. If they find one, that person gets a nice little visit from the Purple Dragons and a little bit of magical reeducation.

>>53687487
You've also got Planescape (though that ended as Planescape as part of the transition to 3e), Spelljammer (likewise), Mystara, Dark Sun, and Ravenloft, and Ghostwalk, plus a bunch of settings that were a one-book sort of affair (Council of Wyrms, Jakandor, etc) and licensed ones (Lankhmar, Diablo, etc.).
>>
>>53687651
>Dark Sun,
Just saw that was already in your post, ignore that.
>>
>>53687651
I had no idea 1984 was in Faerun. Big brother is watching.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.