[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MtG is getting a MMORPG.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 230
Thread images: 21

File: MtG_MMO.png (82KB, 642x493px) Image search: [Google]
MtG_MMO.png
82KB, 642x493px
How do you feel about this?

Cryptic's the developer, by the way.
>>
>>53682533
I'm not so sure, they'll probably just trap your character in a wall because they don't like the way you saved the world.
>>
How the fuck will it work, will it just be some generic ass RPG or what
>>
>>53682533
Well, the snowflakers should be pleased.
>>
>>53682533
If this is good it will be amazing.

Keep in mind I have no idea how it could possibly be good, but still.
>>
>>53682564
Yes.

Cryptic essentially churns out F2P MMO after F2P MMO, each one more generic than the last.
>>
>>53682533
I'm withholding judgment until I see the race options.
>>
>>53682594
It's gonna be Kor all the way down anon...
>>
>>53682589
City of Heroes was good, though.
>>
>>53682533
Can I play dress up with my OC planeswalker?

I'm a pretty easy sell.
>>
>>53682564
Inevitably, yes. Creativity is not common in the MMO industry, especially the ones based off of preexisting IPs (look at TESO or TOR for how painfully generic they are). My money's on every player being some "Chosen One" Planeswalker with a typical hotbar selection of spells and summons.

Which is a shame, because there are definitely enough tribes in the MtG universe to have a pretty unique selection of worlds and characters, but we're doubtlessly going to get humans and elves everywhere.
>>
>>53682533
I'll be happy as long as there's a genuinely large number of planes, if we're even planeswalkers that is.
>>
>>53682624
And then it got replaced with Champions Online.

Yeah.
>>
>>53682673
>if we're even planeswalkers that is
...oh, you're right. We probably aren't going to be.
>>
>>53682693
>>53682673
There is nothing unique enough about any single plane of MtG to make the players anything other than planeswalkers.

If they're unable to explore the Multiverse in its entirety, then they might as well not make it a MtG MMO at all.
>>
>>53682627
Honestly, that would be crazy if they could actually give players full selection from a wide variety of planes, all the races upon those planes, and then further specializations based on class and color.

I mean, granted some of that might just be cosmetic, like the difference between being a human from Innistrad vs a human from Ravnica, but it'd still be pretty sick to have that degree of customization.

Granted, that would be a pretty massive undertaking to have it all work and function. Like, say you start with Tarkir just as an example. You probably have 5 starting zones tied to the respective clans, each of which lets 3 different colors start there, cross-referenced with the different races that can start there, and then given a line of questing that can get you through tutorial stuff, and have you planeswalk somewhere else to continue leveling, while also having 5 or so more zones for players who started somewhere else and went to Tarkir.

It could be done, but I have a feeling that unless you had a large budget it would all have to be mostly cosmetic differences to be remotely feasible
>>
File: Neverwinter_Video_Game.jpg (20KB, 415x209px) Image search: [Google]
Neverwinter_Video_Game.jpg
20KB, 415x209px
The fucks that made Neverwinter?! That was the worst fucking MMO I've ever played!

I'll admit it had some neat ideas but they were all executed poorly. Also it was Pay-to-Win as fuck.

Shit, Neverwinter is the example I use for: "Just because you had fun with a game doesn't mean it's good." As a Rogue I was able to 1-shot players in PvP, from stealth. Also worst economy I've ever encountered, probably due to its Pay-to-Win nature.

I haven't played since a few weeks after they released the Feywild expansion or whatever. They perma-banned the largest guild in the game for using an exploit to bypass the time gate on the new content. The exploit? Sharing the weekly quest.
>>
>>53682843
Wait, they just banned them instead of patching it out? That seems like the absolute worst way to try and retain a player base.

'Hey, here's this problem with our game. Instead of fixing it to show we care about making our game good, we're going to ban anyone that takes advantage of it'
>>
>>53682533
>Craptic
>Owns a major MMO
>Don't know how it works
>Literally write content out rather than fix it
>Owns a different major MMO
>Unique, well-loved, solid for its launch era
>Ages... not so gracefully
>Replaced with generic WoW garbage that sucked all of the soul out

Now pair that with Wizards. It's gonna be awful. But you already knew that, right CoH/V? STO? NWO? MtGO?
>>
>>53682882
To be fair, they spent like, all day doing the exploit. They did it dozens and dozens of time. And rather than roll their characters back and patch it they just felt like banning them.

It's funny because that guild was advertised as being THE P2W guild. Their description was something like "We have credit cards and we'll use them to be better than you," or some nonsense.

They probably banned anyone that used the exploit too much, but it's funny that the biggest guild pretty much evaporated.
>>
>>53682533
If it's shandalar but online, I would play that.
>>
>>53682882

They did the same with STO players. They dropped an xpac with exponential XP demands and XP gates on content. Inadvertently, their XP rescale made one short patrol mission on one planet the best XP gain in the game. So everyone and their fucking cousin started grinding it, bringing sector servers to a screeching halt.

Cryptic's response? Limited acct bans, a mass XP rollback based upon an algorithm that caught people that NEVER WENT NEAR THAT PLANET, and they locked out that particular mission. Didn't normalize the XP and turn it back on. Years later still have the mission turned off, because presumably they don't understand what they broke.

Ladies and gentlemen: Craptic.
>>
>>53682843
Out of all the stories you tell, you don't speak of Caturday?
>>
>>53683123
What is Caturday in the context of NW? I didn't play the game until quite sometime after its release, so forgive me.
>>
>>53682533
I wonder how they're going to fit summoning in this.
>>
>>53683000
Daaaamn that would be amazing. Would be cool if instead of shitty ass regular mmo combats you had some kind of strategic game similar to magic. Or maybe if you did quests or fought things with your bare hands in order to get their card versions since from what ive gathered the libraries of a deck in MTG is like the memory of a planeswalker so he uses knowledge and memories of encountering say, progenitus to make a copy of it for duels.

That would be so sick to do quests to get specific "cards" or spells or whatever. like beating the shit out of embalmbed dudes to get "those who serve" or similar.
>>
>>53683163
The cat part is mostly incidental. It's an absolutely massive clusterfuck though.

Simply put, the auction house wasn't programmed to reject negative values when they were entered as bids.
When you bid on an item, the system deducts the amount of Astral Diamonds you bid from your account. In the case of bidding negative amounts, a negative amount was deducted from your account - which meant that you actually got a positive value added to your account, causing you to gain money from bidding.
However, when the auction ended and you didn't win it, you would be compensated for your bid. In this case, you would be compensated for your negative bid, which means that the amount you earned from the negative bid would be deducted from your account.
So, people preserved their Astral Diamonds by either converting them into Zen (which is used for micro-transactions) or by buying one of the most high value products that could be bought with Astral Diamonds in the game at that time, the Cat companion. People then proceeded to sell their millions and millions of cats on the auction house, leading to a rollback, a series of bans, and a day forever known as Caturday.
>>
I played Tactics and it was some hot garbage.
I have low expectations of this and will openly mock those who buy into it.
>>
>>53683180
I do like the idea of it having a collection aspect. I mean, part of the deal with MtG is that planeswalkers go around seeing new creatures and spells from different planes, that allows them to summon or use them.

Having combat skills being based more around, say, drops from enemies that use those spells or fighting powerful creatures that drop an ability to summon them later could be really cool.

The thing to avoid would probably be just making it an online Mtg simulator though.
>>
>>53682843
>>53682956
Also, I forgot to mention that the Dungeons were basically all done by players in the most exploit-y way possible. There's one in particular: it offered significant rewards but was only open for about 30 mins after a big co-operative team based event finished. Only the final boss gives any reward, so people figured out how to go out-of-bounds and run straight to the boss's door, where they'd die and respawn so all the mobs you pulled would fuck off. People were doing something that was supposed to take close to 30 mins in about 7-9.

Other dungeons include spots where the bosses cannot path to, but can still be attacked by ranged characters. The endgame dungeon groups consisted of 4 Wizards and one Rogue, with the Rogue "tanking." Since there's no WoW-style aggro mechanic, there's no reason to bring a Guardian Fighter. Just stacking CCs non-stop, and abusing Rogue's ability to go invulnerable every once in a while.
>>
>>53683375
I think a good example would be comparing regular Yugioh to Dungeon Dice Monsters. same franchise and ideas but the mechanics are completely different while still being canon.
>>
>>53682553
I kek'd.
>>
>>53683348
Ah, I remember that now. Yeah, I wasn't actually playing during that point, but my coworker told me about that. He didn't mention cats, just people bidding negative amounts.

That shit is basic programming knowledge, or at least game testing.

There was also a period of time where PvP gear was tradable on the Auction House. Since there were so many fucking BOTS, this gear was exceeding cheap. It was also better than most gear you could get in dungeons, so it allowed many people, myself included, to skip a ton of content.

There's also the cluster fuck that was Enchantments I think they were called. Basically a gigantic money sink, which is where a big portion of Pay-to-Win comes up.
>>
>>53683544
Just so you know, enchantments are now how all items in the game work.

At some point, artifacts were introduced, which are leveled in the same way. They give stats boosts and can be activated for unique abilities. Then artifact weapons were added, then artifact belts and cloaks, which don't have any special abilities but are higher quality than all other items when you level them to their highest.

Basically, Neverwinter's nothing but an unending grind at this point.
>>
>>53682808

How much do you think card frames will play into the interface (like choosing your class and race is editing a type bar during chargen)?
>>
>>53682675
Not even the same company
>>
>>53682956
>banning the best paying customers
That's retarded on all possible levels. If you bring money in then you get treated with kid gloves, full stop.
>>
I'm not terribly surprised that Wizards would choose a genre that has a predisposition for microtransaction shittiness.

I haven't met a new person who plays MMORPGs in years. Who the fuck plays this shit anymore?
>>
>>53682533
So we'll get MtG fidget spinners ten years from now.
You know, when they're at the apex of their popularity and not complete and utter meaninglessness.

WotC is so on point with trends, it's like they can see the future.
>>
>>53683753
I think they must see exploits as like a personal attack or something, given how poorly they seem to react every time.
>>
Most companies react to their utter lack of testing before release by scrambling to release a patch before the bad press absolutely kills the sales. Cryptic just refuses to acknowledge they fucked up and leaves a ruin where there was once an exploit.

Mark my words, this garbage game will come out and all the useless Magic players will forgive its shortcoming as "oh they'll fix it". Cryptic has a track record of "fixing" problem as well as Wizards fixes things, in that they don't, and leave things to fester except unlike a card game the video game industry is way more fickle and significantly less addicting.

Cryptic isn't even itself anymore. It's owned by Perfect World, a Chinese company that is known for being dogshit through and through.

I bet Wizards just looked at Valve (same city/region) and thought, "Oh, well Valve used Perfect World to localize DotA, it MUST be a worthwhile company to use".
>>
>>53684141
Wizards has been working with Cryptic for close to a decade on Neverwinter. So, they're jumping into this knowing what result they'll get.
>>
>>53684202
Well shit, I didn't know that. Are you telling me Neverwinter was a success?

That is wholly and utterly disgusting. Jesus Christ.
>>
>>53684141
Probably has more to do with that same company working with them in the past. Chinese owned video game companies push what somehow works there which is flavor-of-the-month pay-to-win garbage. And that's ignoring whether other companies would want to pick up the mtg licence for an mmo and all the money that goes into that
>>
>>53682675
Champions Online had a great character creation system, from designing the character to building their power set.

Shame about the actual content.
>>
>>53684251
Critically, it was a flop. Financially, I think it's Cryptic's most successful game.
>>
>>53684251
Success is relative, if they made more money than they spent on producing, then on the company side of things it is successful. As a player, a successful game would be determined by money and time in and fun out.
>>
>>53682533
Oh hey might be interesting. Can finally learn about that lore you guys are always claiming this game ha-
>Cryptic
Welp.
>>
>>53682713
Well, there is ONE plane that could support people not planeswalking. Only one, though.
Dominaria
>>
MMOs could be so good if MMO players weren't the target audience.

Here's what you can expect from an MTG mmo:

It will be free to play, and theoretically all cards can be unlocked by grinding some resource, but to do so it will take a decade of grinding 4 hours a day. This will be seen as good gameplay by anyone without a job who needs a distraction from the trainwreck of their life, and terrible gameplay by anyone who has a successful life.
>>
Cryptic is probably the worst MMO developer going these days after Trion.
>>
I can actually see an interesting way to translate MTG into an RPG.
Instead of classes you have colors, and the mana system in game reflects the color system in the card game. In combat you slowly gain "mana" colors, which let different color-classes do different things. Red would be aggro like RDW, very powerful early in the fight but peters out as everyone else gets their resources to do their "big" CMC abilities. Blue be control and have to carefully manage their mana. Green lets party members ramp and starts off relatively weak but gets stronger the more mana accumulates. Black would sacrifice resources for relatively powerful abilities, summoning focus perhaps? White is the "balanced" color.
Of course, suits and executives are going to be generic as all can be though. So generic Human/Elf/Orc and Fighter/Wizard/Rogue classes and DPS/Healer/Tank roles instead of the Aggro/Control/Midrange/Combo twist it could have been.
>>
Cryptic's website supposedly describes the game as an Action RPG, which makes me nervous since it's adapting a turn-based card game.

What I'm desperately hoping for is a faction-free game with, at most, 2 or 3 planes that are fully fleshed out on the scale of Vanilla WoW Continents, and player-characters who have extensive cosmetic/minor gameplay customization options so you can effectively make a character from any plane in Magic's lore, and highly customizable gameplay/character advancement based on collecting "cards," that give you summons and spells rather than any kind of static level-up skill and talent system.

I doubt I'll get any of those things though.
>>
>>53683703
Could be neat to do for character portraits and the select screen, but I don't think you'd want to go too far with it. After all, this would presumably still have to function outside of cards.
>>
>>53684986
I'm expecting, generic action MMO in the most generic fantasyland plane they can think of to start off, then some weird planar chaos anomoly happens and suddenly things are overlapping. Then Jace shows up and tells you that he needs your help to fix it, and then you go through 50 levels of random locations and creatures from across the planes.
>>
Taking bets on how likely they are going to release new, rushed content to line up with each block release.
>>
>>53682533
MMOs just seem like a bad idea in general, and will probably end up a waste of money.
>>
>>53682533
>the more you pay the better you get, no time or skill needed.
>>
>>53685203
That would be terrible.

It would be better for the MMO to focus on "Meanwhile" story lines and quests. What happened on Zendikar between RoE and BFZ? We have broad strokes, MMO could give a few specifics.

What's going on with the resistance on New Phyrexia?

Did Ajani's preaching against the Gods on Theros have a meaningful impact?

etc.
>>
>>53685414
Magic's story is awful, who cares?
>>
In theory an MTG MMO has a wealth of potential, but in practice it's going to be Tortanic with an MTG skin.
And a fucking MMO. Of all the genres, an MMO. The only thing I can think of as for the why is the board of wrinkled old fucks that serve as directors over at Hasbro just heard about their grandkids playing that new fangled em-em-oh and boy that's just the bee's knees we ought to get in on that with that there card game the kids like.
I sometimes wonder if working at WotC, you can see these things coming from miles away, but you're powerless. It's like you see your best friend standing on some train tracks and in the distance a locomotive is coming, but no matter how much you yell he can't hear you nor can you move to push him out of the way. All you can do is sit there and watch as something you love dies a horrible death.
>>
>>53682533
make something like shandalar, you stupid fucks
>>
>>53687257

It's kinda funny but as much as they are done these days, a MOBA wouldn't have been a terrible idea. All the characters have distictive styles and abilities they favor that could easily be turned into such.
>>
>>53687257
>I sometimes wonder if working at WotC, you can see these things coming from miles away, but you're powerless. It's like you see your best friend standing on some train tracks and in the distance a locomotive is coming, but no matter how much you yell he can't hear you nor can you move to push him out of the way. All you can do is sit there and watch as something you love dies a horrible death.
No, they probably take bets on it. Or perhaps that'd offend the cultural sensativity sheboon, so they bid 'stickers' in the back of the canteen.

God I wish I could hate some people to death.
>>
>>53682882
Cryptic is infamous for possessing a profound distrust from its own clientele.
>>
It's a shame my days of playing every garbo mmo that comes out are over. I'm probably not touching this.
>>
>>53687257
>I sometimes wonder if working at WotC, you can see these things coming from miles away, but you're powerless.
Based on the Glassdoor reports and taking a grain of salt, I bet this is what it's actually like.

You have the corporate lifers, basically the assholes who are responsible for holding the game back and are slaves to the corporate pressure. They don't give a fuck as they'll whip all public dissent away because these are the people who take credit for all the innovation by those with less seniority and joined the company with a sparkle in their eye while stiffing anything that would disrupt the status quo. These people would otherwise not make it elsewhere but have been around so long and have so much time devoted to Wizards that you won't actually be able to fire them plus being happy to make whatever shit salary Hasbro throws their way. Hasbro probably doesn't give a fuck about what they actually do as it's a cashcow either way and I'm willing to bet that every presentation made to corporate is to an audience that doesn't give a fuck. I'm willing to bet they presented the new "split" cards to them and whoever was listening had no fucking clue what Flashback was only that this new shit looks nothing like the old shit from a year ago; and whoever was around 5 years ago to know what Flashback was during Innistrad has moved on. And it's just this continuous pulling the wool over the eyes of the overseers who reap sick bonuses regardless of what these idiots at Wizards do.

If someone dictates that they need MTG assets for a video game, these morons in leadership jump up and deliver.

Otherwise you're on track. You have your younger staff who can only aspire to be lifers themselves. Some of them are the people who know this is a trainwreck - these people do not last long at the company because a) they realize it's a shitshow b) their ideas get stolen by their bosses c) they can make more money elsewhere.
>>
>>53687456
It's almost like corporate culture sucks all creativity, life, and meaning out of everything it touches, and needs to be fucking burned to the ground because it'll forever corrupt what is beautiful and pure and turn it into trash.

I reached maximum contempt when a female friend of mine explained Pandora bracelets and designer products, vs what designer products meant decades ago. I can't fucking stand the idea that having something fun is so alien to these monsters, that they only see it as a source of revenue.
>>
>>53683770
I like this post

WotC is really amazing at being so far behind the trend that it's kinda charming.

>tries to make a more casual MtG experience for beginners
>...way after hearthstone basically raped the entire market

>Hey, a good idea would be to make the planeswalkers (which people already are sick of by this point) into a super hero gang and make movies and shit
>...thousands of years after superhero market has been established and by the time the mtg movie is actually released I bet most people will be burned on superhero movies a bit

>announce an MMORPG
>after literally every other company on planet earth has beaten that horse, killed it, cremated it and spread the ashes across the world

I'm starting to get worried the WotC HQ is in like a time rift where they are constantly 10 years behind the rest of humanity and making shitty business decisions is the only way of communicating with the outside world for help
>>
Cryptic's character creator is always awesome though.
>>
>>53683770
>>53687586
5 years from now, Plainswalker MOBA.
>>
>>53687626
That might be late enough to catch the moba renaissance.
>>
>>53687586
>I'm starting to get worried the WotC HQ is in like a time rift where they are constantly 10 years behind the rest of humanity
They are; it's because they're trapped making blocks years ahead of time to keep up with the brusque release schedule. So when they do get a second to think of something else, they only know about what was popular years ago, since that was when they last saw the sun.
>>
>>53687662
>making blocks years ahead of time

Why do they do this again?

I get the idea of being ahead of schedule but the way they describe making sets feels extremely counterproductive. As in if they have any problems it's way too late to fix it or adjust it.
>>
>>53687703
It takes longer than a few months to design a set and it would be a wise decision to have a set or two saved in case development of another set takes longer
>>
>>53687703
Because blocks take years to make. Same reason you preheat the oven before you're collapsing from hunger.
>>
>>53687703
I suspect bureaucracy and logistics. It's amazing how much corporate bureaucracy slows down getting shit done; even the simplest shit that should take a day at most to handle winds up stretching into weeks or even months.
Then you have the logistics side where they need to print these millions and millions of bits of cardboard and allow for enough lead time for distribution centers to accrue a stockpile and then disburse it various shops and whatnot in time for the release date.
Smaller card games can get away with product cycles that're only several months, but I can easily see how WotC needs over a year to turn concepts that are ready for design/dev into something you can buy at the store.

>>53687456
I'm fairly certain what the product actually looks like doesn't make it to the Hasbro board. All they care about are financials, forecasts, and the direction at large - IE "Let's turn monetize MTG in new markets."
Then, once the meeting is over, the heads of WotC have to explain to their teams that they have to make a movie, a shitty MMO, and a hot new Planeswalker Clicker(tm) app for Android and iOS.
Hasbro is probably a significant reason why WotC is so fucking insane and inept these past years. Toy companies are actually incredibly conservative.
>>
>>53687703
>>53687731
>>53687746
>>53688270
I suspect that it's a holdover system form the 90s where shit DID take super long to get to print. And honestly, It's not that much faster since they gotta deal with SO MANY artists. They'll basically be stuck two years behind the curve until the end of time unless they decide to do what they were doing before they got popular and did their own thing. Remember Jacetice league would have been in development in theros, which is JUST AS magic got super popular
>>
>>53688270
I support that Wizards has a 3-year lead time for each of their sets because that ensures that all points of the distribution and development process has sufficient slack to compensate for any problems. You're correct in thinking that stores have to place orders (and schedule events) for this stuff months ahead of time means that you can ensure that there are no fuck-ups in regards to getting product to where it needs to be.

That being said, for all the slack they can't seem to make a decent product or make anything that involves computers not break.

~

Even if they don't give a shit about the cards it's a good presentation tool to give them a visual that you're actually doing something unique. They don't need to go into detail but making up stupid frames and wildly different settings for background is as much for the player as it is to whoever is looking over Magic in Hasbro.

The visuals are a good lead in to the boring shit like numbers. It's just the way our brains are wired, you lead with the juicy colors and stuff then follow with the numbers.

You're right that card frames probably don't make it into the presentation but you do lead with images.

For example, I would open with, "The Greek-mythology-themed set we did a while back was a success (who cares if that's true or not, it's something even a soulless individual can relate to); we are expanding on that success by introducing a Egyptian-themed set" and show some pyramids or some shit then follow that with the numbers and shit.

It's easier to for people to swallow facts when the message essentially is bundled in a package that says, "We made a lot of money doing that, now we're doing something very similar and it's also going to do money." It shows that you made a good decision, did well, acknowledged why you did well, and you're going to do well again, and if it doesn't, that's 3 out of 4 you got right.
>>
>>53687478
Do you care to share that opinion of Pandora bracelets or link to some article to read?

Does it boil down to fucking charm bracelets made from dogshit materials made in south-east Asia sold for way more money than it should be and makes a killing because people have shit taste and no sense of craftsmanship?
>>
>>53685175
>most generic fantasyland plane they can think of
Shandalar?
>>
>>53688665

Honestly, with the ogre ruins and slivers Shandalar would be nice to see more of.
>>
>>53688678
arent there slivers on a shit ton of planes? must admit the ogre ruins would be sweet.
>>
Frankly they should have just published the magic the rathering rpg some fans made https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Magic:_the_Gathering_RPG
Is that thing any fun, by the way?
>>
>>53688690

As far as I'm aware it's Rath, Dominiaria and Shandalar. Of the 3, I don't see us going back to the first two for a full set/game any time soon.

I'll admit, if it's got a half decent single player campaign (Like STO or TOR) I'll likely play it until I run out of stuff I can do without raiding.
>>
I still think it would've been really fun to have a Battlefront II style skirmish game during Scars of Mirrodin, with Planeswalkers and Praetors as hero characters.

Why can we never get good MtG games?
>>
About eight years too late, Wizards.
>>
>>53682533

Neverwinter was an ok Free To Play MMO when it launched. Not sure how decent it has been for the last couple years, though.
>>
A ravinica RPG with choose your guild
Nah, not going to happen.
>>
>>53683180
>defeat a vampire to use it as a summon
>battle someone with a equipment and learn to use the equipment as a card
I seriously hope Cryptic is watching this thread.
>>
>>53682624
That was like 10 years ago.
>>
File: lol2.gif (4MB, 294x233px) Image search: [Google]
lol2.gif
4MB, 294x233px
>>53682533
>we have expnasive lore
>maybe let's make an rpg
>nah, it's gonna be another wow killer
It's gonna be shit, don't hype yourselves
>>
>>53689191
Have you bothered to read the thread?
Not a whole lot of hype to be found here.
>>
>>53682587
>Set on Guildpact era Ravnica
>Where combat damage still uses the stack
>>
20 bucks says you play as a human from Earth on their first Walk.
>>
>>53688868
It's pretty hot garbage.

Bad UI, boring dungeons, boring mechanics, poor art direction. There's no reason to play it over anything else; I'd take Runescape over it.
>>
>>53689132
If they are they've probably already tied a noose to their ceiling because their glass psyches can't stand any form of criticism.
>>
>>53682533
I will be ignoring it as I have ignored every mmo since the genre emerged.
>>
Welcome Xer, what are your pronouns?

>Admin 3 (He/Him/Himself) : Suspension for 1 week, used incorrect pronouns. Hate speech is not allowed here

>Get your speak crates this week only! It's HobGoblin pride week! Rainbow panties, pink jelly unicorn headbands and so much more! Come see Joshua by the Glory hole to trade in your pride tickets!
>>
File: 1488889049964.jpg (52KB, 604x455px) Image search: [Google]
1488889049964.jpg
52KB, 604x455px
>>53689448
>>
Man, I love how everyone here already knows what's gonna happen and how things are, some comments are fucking gold.

I can't add anything more to the discussion other than fuck you Maro.
>>
>>53682533
It seems like the decision to quit on Magic completely was the correct one.
>>
>>53689604
Can't pin any of this on MaRo. He will plug it like the company man he is but the actual result of all this won't be on him.

Retards may pester his social media to try to get him to change things when we see previews or something but the channels he would have to go through to actually reach someone is WELL above his pay-grade and more effort than he is willing to put in. Anybody in his shoes would ignore the problems as they aren't his and he shouldn't invite them and it would involve sticking his nose into places even he shouldn't go. Even Forsythe who is the head of Magic should not and will not comment aside from pledging his support.
>>
>>53682533
>craptic

Don't be fooled by their work over 5 years ago, the current craptic is the chinese one who made NWN:Online.
>>
File: Araki don't click.png (3MB, 1076x1105px) Image search: [Google]
Araki don't click.png
3MB, 1076x1105px
>>53689708
>implying they've made a good game before NWNO
>>
>what could be
A non shit mtgo+chatroom+dressup
>what will be
Im the land of NOTWOW you play NOTWOW: The f2ping of grindaroo
>>
>>53689722
Warhammer Online had some fun moments at the first tier.
>>
I can't wait to meet jace in the beginner zone where he gives me a quest to draw 2 cards

I can't wait to have Nicol Bolas on farm and kill him each week for a chance of a miniature Bolas mount

I can't wait for the expansion where you can put Yawgmoth on farm

I can't wait for the futa werewolf on kithkin erp
>>
Can't wait to PvP raid those filthy blues and kill Jace.
>>
Here's what's gonna happen

Players will be humans
Players will be from Ravinica
Players will align with a guild except the lolevil one
Players will all wind up joining gatewatch
Players will help defeat the eldrazi
>>
>>53690174
>implying he won't just Planeswalk away inexplicably leaving a treasure chest filled loot behind
>>
>>53690199
PS the plot will involve some experiment by Bolas causing mass spark awakenings
>>
>>53690200

>Heh, you're pretty good, kid. I'll leave a present for ya.
>But next time we fight, I might go all out
>>
>>53690200
Or maybe they will delete your character for daring to attack Jace.
>>
>>53690241
But Jace isn't a trans-woman of color.
>>
>>53690263

Yet
>>
>>53690288
Jace, in an effort to understand true justice, will pyschically project himself into a nonbinary woman of color to experience the world from hir perspective. He will come away having learned a very important lesson about his privilege as a white male Planeswalker with pyschic powers
>>
As a veteran mmorpg and magic player
No
>>
>>53684930
I kind of agree, but also don't. I don't think classes should be alone, but Magic lore supports (in some cultures and planes) anyone from wizard to soldier using mana. I think a system where you pick from the fighter-rogue-wizard-healer archetype, and then pick a color would be more fitting for Magic.

White rogue would be a Scout with quick attacks and a focus on evasion and eacape. Green wizard would get heavy summoning bonuses. Red fighter would be able to pick between being a Warrior and Berserker-type That kind of thing. I think the customization and lack of ironclad classes like you suggested is best, but anyone could become a mana user or planeswalker (and let's face the fact that ANY Magic game would make us a walker).

I would also love access to Vedalken, Nezumi, Flamekin, and the wealth of Magic humanoids other than human-elf-dwarf-evil elf-orc.

That being said, we're getting WoW with a Jace skin, so fuck us.
>>
>>53690419
Blue CIS (Cards In Stack) Male
>>
>>53689999
I wonder why Blizz never tried to integrate hearthstone into WoW, it seems like it would catch a lot of the casual HS players if say, heroic dungeons and up dropped cards.
>>
>>53690580
There was a paladin hero for HS if you levelled a pally to 20 wasn't there?
>>
>>53690580
Battle.net is all the "integration" they need.

All you need is WoW players to see that Hearthstone has been added and that it's free. Just like that.

I don't play WoW but I'm sure at some point some screen popped up that showed that Hearthstone was ready to go.
>>
>>53690645
It'd be good if you could sit down at a table in an inn in WoW and have the hearthstone client pop-up... maybe even with a message that you are looking for message and you'd play the guy sitting down in front of you.
>>
File: 1425553395535.png (46KB, 270x200px) Image search: [Google]
1425553395535.png
46KB, 270x200px
>>53682533
>Cryptic
>Perfect World
Confirmed for Chinese grinder cashgrab hot garbage, abandon ship.
>>
>>53684591
I'd argue that Kamigawa, Ravnica, and maybe Innistrad would be as well.
>>
File: 1467266593184.jpg (1MB, 3968x3584px) Image search: [Google]
1467266593184.jpg
1MB, 3968x3584px
>>53682713
Well, that's one way the game would actually be great for an MMO.
Planes would be so easy to add as areas for expansions, so you wouldn't have to struggle fitting the new locations onto the map like with some other settings.
If they need a starting plane they could use Shandalar. Or, they could allow players to choose the plane they want to start from. Shandalar would still make for the perfect tutorial type of plane though. A good starting line-up of planes besides Shandalar would be Ravnica, Zendikar, Innistrad, and one more, maybe Kaladesh or Mirrodin, and they could tack on more as they update and expand the game.
If they could just nail those locations it could probably be a really fun game.
though I'm not getting my hopes up
>>
>>53690580
Pretty sure they had a mount or pet in WoW from beating some challange in Hearthstone. Add it being free and you probably got a bunch of collectors taking a look.
>>
File: EN_NewPhyrexia_Header[1].jpg (253KB, 1920x1120px) Image search: [Google]
EN_NewPhyrexia_Header[1].jpg
253KB, 1920x1120px
>>53693266
>or Mirrodin

Don't deadname, you shitlord.
>>
>>53693266
>>53693372
You know, it could be fun for New Phyrexia to basically be "The Wilderness" style area where everything and everyone else is trying to kill you.
>>
File: 1495882490527.jpg (62KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
1495882490527.jpg
62KB, 312x445px
>>53693266
I'd really like to see postwar Zendikar and Innistrad as areas in the MMO. If you set them several years after all that eldrazi crap went down, you could have an environment similar to the original planes, but still have a few remaining eldrazi to be used as bosses and such. Also this guy would make an awesome boss.
>>
>>53692735
>Kamigawa
We finally get to go back, with a new conflict 1000 years later. You can play as any of the main six races, and since Wizards wants to forget this place exists you can make the story whatever you want.
But there aren't any elves, fans and casuals alike would cry furry, and it's a little too Asian a setting to associate with Jace Patrol.
>Ravnica
Urban fantasy, magic is a common aspect of life, spirits linger so just write in a "we found a perfect res spell" plotpoint, wide variety of races, factions, magic specialties, and possible plots.
If the MMO wasn't gonna have you 'walk, it'd probably be put here right before we got either ReReturn to RaRavnica or Modern Masters: 2000-Ravnica.
>Dominatia
Generic enough to be marketed, but expansive enough to stand out from other generic fantasy, potential for viashino, catfolk, and aven, could pull in old fans with the plane,.and attract potential new players.
But Jace Squad like Ravnica better so unless a set plans to return to Dominaria I don't see it.
>Alara
Basically the same points as Dominaria, but with built-in MMO factions and less lore.
>Innistrad
Less variety of races despite the strong ascetic, multitude of unseen continents to start in/explore, could even experience all six sets' events as a nonwalker.
I mean, a Diabolo MMO hasn't been done yet.
>Mirroden
This'll never happen. It's an immensely creative plane but it'll never happen, and it sucks. Visual variety even between humans, could expand the already neat ideas for usual staples (finger vampires and such), distinct look and lore, could even write off leveling and upgrades as "I made better metal to staple to you because our world is made of acid and razors".
But New Phyrexia happened, and while I loved that set we'll never get a JustMirroden game because it would be marketing for a place Wizards can't sell us.
>>
>>53693428
>still have a few remaining eldrazi

Nope. It turns out the Eldrazi are actually literally only three organisms. Every single Eldrazi was part of Ulamog, Kozilek, or Emrakul, with the "Titans" just being the biggest pieces of them.

When they killed Ulamog and Kozilek, they killed their entire broods as well, and the same with sealing Emrakul in the moon.
>>
File: 1474035054993.jpg (517KB, 1080x1350px) Image search: [Google]
1474035054993.jpg
517KB, 1080x1350px
>>53693511
Well, even so I'd hope they could still find a way to include some, since they're such a huge part of MTG. I just don't think they should put the actual events from those expansions into the game.
>>
>>53693511

We don't know what happened with the creatures Emrakul mutated, because of of an Epilogue on Innistrad WE HAD TO GO MEET THE SUPER SPECIAL AWESOME DESIGNED BY A BLOGGER Planeswalker Kaya on Fiora.

I'm still mad about that.
>>
>>53693690
Before I knew how Kaya was made I saw the card and thought, "Neat, a BW walker waifu in a storyless expansion." I wish I could drill out everything I read about Wizards' Blogger Bullshit.

I'm also conflicted as to whether I should read any of the stories, or just headcannon any lore questions I might have rather than putting any more market-tested-walker lore into my head.
>>
>>53687287
That would be pretty fucking cool, actually. How could it differentiate from most other Mobas though?
>>
File: image.jpg (42KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 223x310px
>>53694284
all right, here's a radical idea, base it off the card game
in a 5v5 match 1 player on each side assumes the role similar to a player in tcg. They are stuck in the base and cannot move with as much freedom as the others. At fixed intervals of time or because of his teamates exploring or whatever, he gains access to lands that can be used as a manasource, then can use the mana to cast spells, like creatures, artifacts, and enchantments, to help their team. The other 4 on each side play the game as a regular moba.

they could also implement keyword abilities and that sort of thing
>>
>>53694526
and those player-players would have massive amounts of life and their death would mean their team losing just like in a real game of magic
>>
>>53694284
Players summon creeps rather than them being spontaneously generated. Each planeswalker can summon generic creeps or special creeps unique to that hero.
Casting abilities and summoning creeps drains from a team-wide mana pool, which is separated into the five colors.
Mana is slowly generated automatically but can greatly accelerated by capturing lands, one for each color. Each team starts one with one of each land and there's also one of each of the lands unclaimed in the middle of the battlefield. This equals a total of three lands of each color.
Some abilities or creeps require you to have a specific number of lands, like a Craterhoof Behemoth requiring control of all three forests or something, or being able to summon Emrakul if you control literally all of the lands.

Just a few ideas.
>>
>>53694284
>Mana periodically appears in certain locations
>Teamfight and grab control of it ala map objectives in HotS
>All players on the team get the mana, if it doesn't match a character's colors it becomes colorless mana for them
>Characters have certain spells they can cast for mana, eg. Nissa can summon a huge elemental that heads down a lane, Gideon becomes superpowered, Chandra sets things on fire etc.
>>
>>53694284

I'd give the players more effect on the lanes, having the player who 'controls' a lane mix their minions in with base guys. Likely with some minor visual effects on the lane based on colours (To make it more immediately obvious to enemy players)

So if you are playing Lili, your minion waves will include faster spawning and tougher but not particularly strong zombies. Really great for blocking others pushing into a lane. Jace's minions are illusions, incredibly damaging and fast moving but very fragile. They'll tear through stuff but are very vulnerable to being sniped by other heroes. Garruk's beasts are dangerous but they prioritise heroes above other minions to the degree they'll chase them out of lanes.

Players can swap the controller of a lane if they are both alive/in the lane at the same time.

That and objectives are important. Claiming objectives gives mana and each player has a few global spells they can play with their teams mana. They will be very occasional but summoning a Darksteel Colossus to a lane or calling down Wrath of God will dramatically change a battle.
>>
>>53694729
With 'mapbuilding' (ie choosing mana colors) as part of the draft phase, this could be really neat.
Trying to stay on the balance between producing the mana your team needs and starving out the opposition.
>>
>>53683632
>an unending grind

So an MMO? The key to enjoying an MMO is finding the one with the setting and people you like the most and accept you're playing a mediocre game together.
>>
File: 1493516501811.png (110KB, 390x390px) Image search: [Google]
1493516501811.png
110KB, 390x390px
These ideas for a M:tG MOBA actually sound pretty good.

It's a shame we'll only get a M:tG MOBA in five years and it will be a shitty League clone.
>>
>>53693266
Theyll probably also include Amonkhet to make a tie-in with the newest sets.
>>
>>53695960
We could make a fangame? Is Wizards Ban-happy?
>>
File: Viking-1.jpg (48KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Viking-1.jpg
48KB, 600x450px
>>53697005
Are you kidding?
The copyright on "tapping" ran out in 2014.
Even so no one else uses it because they don't want a legal fuckstorm to crash down on them.
>>
I'm not very optimistic. I've written several times in the past about how the age of MMOs are simply over.

Unless the MTG MMO has a truly unique feature/gimmick that will cater well to the TCG playing crowd without being as expensive as its main product then it will likely be a failed venture. Especially being announced just now when MMOs are notoriously the slowest type of game to develop.

All the early MMOs and especially World of Warcraft were successful because they were on the cusp of a new era of video gaming. People were just then discovering how powerful the internet was for gaming. It wasn't just new demographics, but old demographics suddenly grew tenfold. Celebrities were going on talkshows about how they had a secret WoW account. But now, that playerbase is heavily diluted and broken apart. People looking for a team-based game are probably playing a MOBA. People looking for something competitive have Overwatch or CSGO. Hell, even going into the casual online TCG market will be hard against Hearthstone, Shadowverse, and Gwent. Trying for a classic MMO experience would literally be financial suicide against the old giant that is WoW or even newcomers that have solidified a grasp on the crumbs like FF14. MTG just doesn't have the brand name to make a successful game and I don't believe Cryptic has the ability to push a game so good it would become one anyway. If Star Wars couldn't do it, I just don't see how Magic can.

To me, nothing about this makes sense and is a continual reminder that WotC is living years in the past.
>>
a traditional rpg would've been better. mmo's are dead and the devs are no good
>>
Alright. Here are my predictions. Buckle up and leave your hope and dreams at the door.

Character creation: choose a race and a class. Races are a handful of basics: humans, elves, orcs, etc. Plane-specific races are behind a paywall. Races confer negligible stat bonuses and are otherwise purely visual. Each class is based on a Gatewatch planeswalker: mind mage, necromancer, pyromancer, etc. Colors of mana, if they're even mentioned, are used to name each of the three talent trees for each class.

Following character creation, you are immediately "thrust into the action" in a tutorial instance. Story-wise, you've just received your spark and suddenly found yourself in a strange place. The plane is unimportant, if even named.

Combat is action-oriented, essentially a reskinned Neverwinter, and the UI had a card theme. Card names are used for abilities, but the abilities otherwise have nothing to do with their namesakes.

During the tutorial you meet the Gatewatch, and at the end they bring you to Ravnica, which serves as the primary quest hub and sole city of the game. Players will swarm in Jace's Sanctum to receive new quests.

All quests are done through the same instancing style present in all of Cryptic's games. Planeswalking is a convenient explanation for traveling between instances. (I'd say "Planeswalk" is the name of your "hearth" ability, but Cryptic doesn't tend to include "hearthing.") Each plane is represented by a handful of small, linear zones. After completing the quests for that plane, there is no reason to return to it, although dungeons and PvP instances (which will take place on these same planes) will be repeated for daily rewards.

As with Neverwinter, new content will be rushed to sync with physical product releases.

There will also be player-created instances, crafting, and an auction house. These are considered hallmarks of the MMORPG and their relevance to the setting in unimportant.

I'd still try it out.
>>
>>53695960
This would interest me if it involved actual deck-building (not Paragon's' "deck-building"). A MOBA that uses cards instead of cooldowns could be interesting.

Heck, maybe summoned creatures and artifacts could replace minions and towers.
>>
File: Boros-land.jpg (90KB, 652x473px) Image search: [Google]
Boros-land.jpg
90KB, 652x473px
>>53697901
If I can just walk around Ravinca doing missions I will be happy with that.
>>
>>53682627
>or TOR
Blasphemy! SWTOR is awesome!

>>53682533
I played Neverwinter for a while, and I gotta say, there was definitely some currency clutter, it was a pain. Most of the game was just ok. I do have to say though, the addition of character-created dungeons was awesome. I played several that were quite well made, so Cryptic is capable of tossing out SOME good stuff.
>>
>>53682587
>I have no idea how it could possibly be good
Did you ever play the Etherlords series? You roamed around an open world, and then went to card battles when you met monsters. As you grew in power, you increased your manabase and got new cards.

Just do pretty much that, but with M:tG cards.

As far as planeswalking, start with only one plane, an steel donut for just the game, and add new ones as little expansions for new blocks.
>>
Too bad MMOs suck dick.
>>
Imagine how fun it would be if getting cards was actually done well.
>explore the world, travel to new areas
>get new land cards with art of the regions you discover
>befriend or imprison enemies and get their cards automatically, or kill a ton of them for a rarer chance at a drop
>learn sorceries by searching libraries and speaking to other mages, as quest rewards, and rarely as drops
>discover enchantments by finding a place where they're actually in use and stealing them or earning them
>>
>>53685175
So it's like Time Spiral all over again?
>>
>>53682533
>Cryptic
Abandon hope
>>
>>53685604
Its had a lot of good stories over the years, it's just that there's also a lot of mediocre ones, and they decided to pull towards the middle when they redid the whole thing and did the Mending.
>>
>>53698987
the problem is assuming that exploration in MMOs still exist. We live in the age where if there is a secret, its getting datamined before the game even releases.
>>
I want to play in fucked up, time-spiral Domination.

I want to play as some random creature card. My Manas pips would be my level. Dungeons would grant artifacts, enchantments or access to more pips. Level would be determined by the character enchantments and gear.
The overall plot would involve the character being ordered around by an old-walker of matching colour to fight other old-walkers in one giant, campaign spanning duel.
>>
All combat is resolved via actual, in-client games of MtG or it's garbage.
>>
>>53699070
Even if you're not the first to get there, it'd be nice to get card art that matches places you've been.
>>
>>53682533
I thought April's Fools was a few months ago...
>>
>>53699298
Spells would also be a thing, like sorcerys and instants. The character would a have total mana pool that could be spent on passive stuff like binding artifacts or gaining levels or on activating spells which would be awesome effects with long cool downs. These spells would also be on cool down by default and a fight would need to be started to get them charging. "Card draw" abilities would reduce cool down.

It would be a game focus a lot on the keywords of abilities. Enemies would use the same abilities and character types as players.

It would be sort of like original Guild Wars. The focus would be on skill combos and synergy. Only the skills would be MtG abilities and they would come from a mix of type, colour, and loot (artifacts, enchantments and sorceries)
>>
>>53698987
>>53699321
Sure, but the game would rapidly devolve into a guided tour of the planes. "Okay, my next stop is Vess Manor. You get a card for right-clicking a certain bookshelf in the east tower."
>>
>>53699842
If only for Innistrad, searching for randomly-spawned Clues would be the way to handle that.
And yes, that would also rapidly become a checklist of spawn points, but still.
>>
I just want a sequel to the old Shandalar game.
>>
Lost all hope for any kind of quality at Cryptic. Could be a good setting but cryptic will make you pay $$$.
>>
Just fuck my shit up, senpai.
>>
>>53700157
Damn straight.
>>
>inb4 mtg packs will contain special online codes a la world of warcraft
>>
>>53703343
I'd like it if they adopted the Pokemon system where you get a physical pack and get tokens/currency/digital packs.
It'd give me a little bit of a use for all the packs I get from drafts - my LGS distributes packs as a prize for winning drafts instead of in-store credit for some reason. I suspect because they price the events at cost.
>>
>>53682533
>Cryptic
>Perfect World
>WotC

This is going to be so pay to win it hurts. This is going to be pay to pay to win. You're going to have to pay for the opportunity to pay to win. There is a billion things you can do to make a MtG MMO work and they are going to do exactly NONE of them.
>>
File: 1496379072718.png (645KB, 499x484px) Image search: [Google]
1496379072718.png
645KB, 499x484px
It'll probably just be another boring medieval MMO which is a real shame.
>>
>>53703600
>medieval mmo

What plane could they possibly set it in to make it a true medieval mmo?
>>
File: MRD_logo.png (32KB, 250x80px) Image search: [Google]
MRD_logo.png
32KB, 250x80px
>>53703812
Which plane would /tg/ most want to be included?
>>
>>53703859
Innistrad is sweet.

I remember thinking some of the Planechase cards merited a deeper treatment, but I couldn't tell you which ones or why, now.

I think Kaladesh (and probably Amonkhet) had the potential to be interesting, but their handling so far has felt kind of shallow, and I don't expect a return to them the way Ravnica/Innistrad/Zendikar keep coming up.

I guess realistically my money is on the MMO taking place in Theros, since the story is bound to go back that way by Ajani/Gideon/Elspeth, and additionally because very little innovation is required that way.
Copy Greco-Roman shit, relabel if necessary, paste, collect 10 critter gizzards. Repeat.
>>
>>53703422
>my LGS distributes packs as a prize for winning drafts instead of in-store credit for some reason.

At my LGS they offer packs as prize, but you can get store credit. Trouble is, the store credit is $2 per pack, when packs are like $4, so nobody takes the credit unless there's something they very specifically want in the case.
>>
>>53689310
>Still uses the stack

Wait what the fuck? Haven't played in a while but cd doesn't use the stack anymore? How am I supposed to boomerang your guy?
>>
>>53704323
By doing it before the damage phase of combat.
>>
File: Abzan Trading Post.jpg (749KB, 1280x950px) Image search: [Google]
Abzan Trading Post.jpg
749KB, 1280x950px
>>53703859
Ranked by want:
1. Ravinca
2. Innistrad
3. Tarkir (Timeline A aka Khans)
4. Amonkhet
>>
>>53704345
But... That really dumbs down everything. Why did they change that?
>>
>>53704403
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-2010-rules-change-2009-06-10

>The intricate system via which combat is currently handled creates many unintuitive gameplay moments. For starters, "the stack" is a difficult concept, even after all these years, so it is no wonder that many players go about combat without invoking it at all. Second, creatures disappearing after damage has been put on the stack leads to a ton of confusion and disbelief: How is that Mogg Fanatic killing two creatures? How did that creature kill mine but make your Nantuko Husk big enough to survive? How can you Unsummon your creature and have it still deal damage? While many of us may be used to the way things are now, it makes no sense in terms of a game metaphor and only a bit more sense as a rule.
>>
>>53704403
Because it resulted in too many idiotic situations like Morphling pumping itself up to do bonus damage, then swapping to armor to survive.
Trust me, the game still has knotted complexities out the ass, but that isn't a positive thing. What you call "dumbing down" is more accurately "streamlining an already rules-heavy game".
>>
>>53704403
Anon, that change was made many, many years ago.
It was also good because there was a fucking ton of stupid shit you could do when damage was on the stack.
>>
>>53684822
>Cryptic is probably the worst MMO developer going these days after Trion.
>EA Bioware / Zombie Mythic

Trion is a pleasant breeze redolent with flowers compared to the beer fart that is EA's online division.
>>
>>53704084
>I think Kaladesh (and probably Amonkhet) had the potential to be interesting, but their handling so far has felt kind of shallow, and I don't expect a return to them the way Ravnica/Innistrad/Zendikar keep coming up.

If you're familiar with the concept of the Storm Scale, MaRo made a similar "Rabiah Scale" to refer to that ranks how likely it is for us to revisit certain planes. The most recent iteration of the scale is:

1 – Ravnica, Innistrad
2 – Zendikar
3 – Kaladesh, Theros
4 – Alara, Dominaria, Tarkir, Vryn
5 – Fiora, New Phyrexia (Mirrodin)
6 – Regatha
7 – Lorwyn/Shadowmoor, Shandalar
8 – Kamigawa, Segovia
9 – Mercadia, Rath, Serra’s Realm, Ulgrotha
10 – Rabiah

Kaladesh and Theros sold ridiculously well despite having a lot of criticism on /tg/, so don't base the likelihood on a return just on how they're perceived here.
>>
>>53690004
>Warhammer Online

You mean EA Mythic? Craptic is a whole other suckbag.
>>
>RIP MTGMMO
>Taken before its time
>Had so much potential
>Broken Promises and Missing Features
>Launch issues meant it never got enough players to get on its feet
>Cash Shop Cancer

That's everything right? There now the game doesn't even need to come out.
>>
>>53704617
I hope that when they go back to zendikar they address the fact that there's PROBABLY not a large enough population for life to be sustainable.
Unless there's like... some secret incest spell we don't know about
>>
>>53704800
Have Nahiri kidnap people from other planes. Worked for Memnarch.
>>
>>53704828
she's already written it off as dead
>>
>>53704800
A good portion of Zendikar was successfully salvaged. The plane, having utterly unnatural mana and fiercely resilient fauna due to evolving to survive the Roil, ultimately pulled through with a viable population in most respects.
Though, this is speaking generally. The merfolk and kor are fine enough, but the elves are essentially extinct and the vampires are reaching endangered status.
>>
>>53704918
Kidnap Lorwyn elves.
Horns are /fa/.
>>
File: 1486074516662s.jpg (3KB, 124x122px) Image search: [Google]
1486074516662s.jpg
3KB, 124x122px
>This thread

Do... do you guys want some uppers? I mean, it could be okay. It could even be good! All this knee-jerk shitting on a game that doesn't even have a pre-pre-pre-alpha build yet seems a bit much.
>>
>>53703859
Dominaria.
>>
File: heres why ur wrong kiddo.png (10KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
heres why ur wrong kiddo.png
10KB, 200x200px
>>53705304
>it could be okay
>>
>>53705304
Remember Eternal Crusade? That was a game for which we dared to hope. And look how that turned out. So no, you naïve little optimist, we will not succumb to the half full glass that the corporation wishes us to see. Better to expect shit and be pleasantly surprised than to expect pleasantness and have our hearts broken once more.
>>
>>53705304
Yes it might turn out good. The sun also might explode tomorrow so you better blow all your money on coke and hookers today.
>>
>>53682533
How this could be good:
>High Magic plane like Ravnica or Alara or they make up a synthetic one like Mirrodin.
>All players are Wizards, not planeswalkers
>Combat is Etherlords, you paly MTG but fully animated, limited Card list simmilar to duels of the planeswalkers

How this could be terrible
>An MMO set in the MTG universe
>Players arent Wizards but normal fighters and mages in the world

How this could be realy terrible
>Everyone is a planeswalker

How it could be different and ok
>Simmilar to MTG Battlegrounds
>Combat is real time but based on MTG
>Summon Rats and Goblins in real time
>Timed Counterspells
>Computer crashes when fighting against Zoo players
>>
>>53705304
If you aren't cynical about every new piece of media that comes out, you either haven't experienced enough of life or you have bad taste.

Imagine that one day there is a movie made that exceeds all other movies that came before it. It sets a new bar for excellence. It's the perfect product combining music, talent, writing, direction, visual appeal, everything. It was a movie that featured the most beautiful sights and sounds in the history of mankind. Even the people who don't like it acknowledge that it brings together excellence in all areas. This movie to so profound and speaks to the human condition so intensely that it will certainly be remembered thousands of years from now, should humanity last that long.

Should it not follow that every movie made after this one, aspire to the same goals. Wouldn't you think that someone would attempt to bring together that amount of talent and passion again to reach this high water mark?

Maybe they try and maybe they fail. But at least they tried right? There's only so many amazing animals in the world, what could compare to a lion, or whale, or elephant. You can't artificially impose synergy between your writer and director and your actors and actresses. But at least you tried.

The reality, using this example, is that nobody fucking tries. We the audience know EXACTLY what is needed to not piss people off and for some fucking reason the people who make this shit can't seem to figure it out - in fact they seem to go out of their way to make it unappealing. And it's not for lack of materials, it's not like we're short on animals as majestic as lions; in fact we have hundreds of different species that are on par with lions, all you have to do is pick one and not fuck up. Except years go by and opportunities and properties are wasted and all people have done and produce tepid generic shit that exists to offend FOR COMPLETE LACK OF TRYING.
>>
>>53682533
Interesting.
>>
>>53682533
Probably going to suck

Could be awesome if they do it right.
>nonstandard mechanics
>instead of a standard skill bar, you have a skill bar that keeps updating as you cast spells, as if you were drawing new cards
>you level up not by killing lots of bad guys, but by visiting new places and doing quests there (as if you got a land card by completing a quest in that land/area)
>some spells let you temporarily burn other spells or even levels (think Force of Will, or Mox Diamond)
>powerful artifacts that have effects related to lore (eating a Black Lotus lets you cast a single high-level spell, Trepanation Blade fucks with the skills if those you hit etc)
>interesting spawn/summon mechanics
>twitchy interrupt/counter mechanics

But no instead it will be exactly like playing GW2 but with the Gatewatch instead of Trahearne
>>
>>53685175
>Hello there xXxSexornatoRxXX.
>Bolas is casting a ritual that is threatening the integrity of the plane Generica.
>I can cast a spell that counters his ritual but unfortunately i missplaced all of my materials.
New Quest Unlocked! [85]
Bring Jace [25 Baloth Tail]
>>
>>53706851
Everyone is obviously going to be a planeswalker. Why is that a bad thing?

>inb4 planeswalkers are supposed to be rare
>>
>>53706851
>How this could be realy terrible
>>Everyone is a planeswalker
I see we have people who have never even played MtG weighing in on how they think this is gonna go
>>
>>53707396
Because this would mean they would have to implement several planes and as such cannot give each the attention it needs.
Basically each plane would devolve into beeing a single zone which for planes like Amokhet or Theros would be fine but for stuff like Mirrodin or Innistrad or hell Dominaaria this would be terrible.

Id prefer a sinlge world but have it fleshed out.

Of course the upside of planeswalking is that you could potentialy get cards from different sets.

>>53707469
I started playing MtG when planeswalker werent the players but the big protagonists working in the background.
I dont like the newwalkers primarily because of the stories stupid fixation on them but no, my argument against planeswalkers is actually that it would turn each plane into a single zone with very little coherence and i dont like that.
>>
File: viktor-titov-coralhelm-guide.jpg (350KB, 1500x1102px) Image search: [Google]
viktor-titov-coralhelm-guide.jpg
350KB, 1500x1102px
cool
i'd buy it just to play as a merfolk

so guess instead of classes you would have colors? what abilities does each color have?
red - burn
blue - stuns, mez, sleep, stealth
black - debuff, burn, lifedrain
green - tanking, buff
white- buff, heal

will be fun to explore the planes
>>
>>53707230
This is one hell of a long-winded and shitty analogy.

Many of the devs and creative folks really do try in games like these, but they're powerless before the demands of the corporate overlords and unbending release schedules combined with over-enthusiastic feature lists.

Also, the asian-style of MMO where the entire game is built around pushing a boulder up a hill for all eternity don't do so well in the US, so it may not be that.
>>
>>53682533
Going to hope for a rift-like talent system with less classes but augmented by colors, choosing the same color multiple times gives you deeper access to that colors skills. Set the whole thing in some pre made MtG settings to save money on writers

>Start as red mage with firebolt
>X levels later can up firebolt to shock by picking red again
>X levels later pick black for a fireball with a nuke + DoT that applies the DoT to yourself as well
>>
>>53705304
>Naïvity: The Post

Jokes asides, this project has every element that could make it fail, we're not 100% certain it will suck... Just 95%.

Look at the developer history, the complex IP, the MTG history with online games (such as MTGO and Duels), the decline of the MMO genre, the demographic, etc. Hell, it's more likely the game won't even see a release and get stuck in developer limbo until is cancelled. Differences between WotC and Cryptic will arise, budget limits, date limits, etc. Then after 5 years of development they'll try to change developers and it'll either be a half finished product or just cancelled.

Point is there are very few things to be optimistic about this announcement, history tends to repeat itself, see WoD MMO as an example.

You wanna get excited? Sure, go ahead. But I won't bet in favor of it. I would love to be wrong but things like this don't end good.
>>
>Cryptic
I didn't expect anything and I am still disappointed.
>>
>>53682533
>>53682594
I'm going to be a thopter.
Combat will be done by dueling people in magic with in game cards purchased with tokens purchased with irl money.
>>
>>53682533
I know its gonna be shit but I want to be Optimistic. Hoping it essentially ends up being a multiplayer version of the Old MtG RPG from back in the 90's with added features. It will be so easy to make this game amazing, but this is WotC and Cryptic we are talking about, so it is gonna be ass.
>>
>>53683348
When they patched it out we got a pretty cool cape, though.

>>53682843
I played the game opening weekend and got the shit flamed out of me in chat when I said that the game was pay to win. I got called "entitled" and told "go back to wow" I feel vindicated knowing the game is widely considered a pay to win shitpile.
>>
>>53707565
What was the lore for magic games before planeswalkers, then? What was the players?
>>
>>53713958
basically they were ackin to gods, didnt age, could planeshift willy nilly and they realy stopped caring about normal "human" things.

They are basically the opposit of the new planeswalkers that are essentialy super heroes.
>>
>>53707565
>turn each plane into a single zone with very little coherence
That's 100% what's going to happen
>>
>>53707565
>>53713958
>>53714073
The player has always been a planeswalker.
>>
>>53705030
You can't do interplanar kidnappings since the Mending.
Which is why Rashmi's portal was a big deal - it was the first thing that COULD do that shit since then.
>>
>>53714073
>>53713958
The player was still a planeswalker back then, the term just didn't have the same meaning. He means "players" in the geopolitical sense I think, planeswalkers in those days rarely cared much about day to day human shit, so you had people like Urza who cared very much about Dominaria specifically, and Yawgmoth (not a planeswalker, but on the same level) and Nicol Bolas with their own planes basically pimped out the same way that an ordinary person might have a pimped out ship or city or something.
>>
>>53704403
Changing it means you actually have to CHOOSE if your Mogg Fanatic is dealing damage to the X/1 it's blocked by/blocking or is going to be sacced to ping something, instead of it always being the correct answer to do both.
That's not dumbed down, that's making it an actual choice instead of no choice at all.
>>
>>53715420
I figure Nahiri probably can. Seal someone in a hedron and take the hedron with you, ez.
>>
>>53715571
Things are bound by having hedrons aligned around it or punctured into it, they're not actually sealed within a hedron somehow.
>>
>>53715680
According to the story where she was trapped in it, the Helvault was basically a fancy Hedron.
>>
>>53714573
Not in Shandalar.
The ability to rebuild your deck at any settlement might even constitute a higher magnitude of power; off the top of my head only Ajani has had three separate color associations without the application of body- or mind-ruining magic.
>>
>>53716648
A single computer game is not the entirety of Magic.
>>
>>53716761
I was pointing out the exception to an otherwise sound statement.
Thread posts: 230
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.