[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Playing wise characters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

I remember there was a thread like this months ago and there being some pretty good advice, so I will ask again in hopes of getting advice just as good.
I'm currently playing a monk in D&D and wanted to make him sound wiser, turn him into a wisecracker ever, so tips and the like for playing wise characters?
>>
Before nobody else answers: How about learning some proverbs of guys like Laozi, Confucius, even Sun Tzu, Miyamoto Musashi.
>>
When playing a monk, I like to use a lot of metaphors that sound wise. You also have to play your character as someone who is very perceptive (aka, use your perception skill a lot), and always look at a situation with a calm optimism.
>>
>>53682360
Read the book of Proverbs. Use the proverbs.
>>
>>53682360
The four elements, like man alone, are weak.
But together, they form the strong fifth element - Boron.
>>
>>53682360
Make him tell lame jokes.
Look up church humor for that.

Give advice as if you are a parrent wanting to guid your child.
Just put your self into that mindset and you'll be able to figure out how to give advice.

Use a positivist set of values to determine positive and negative traits for your character that he may or may not preach.
>>
Play reserved. Play conservative. Put some thought into what you're about to say before you say it.

Trust your gut.

Let others take the risks, unless if it would somehow be beneficial if you were to do it instead.

Be a predator. Be a hunter. Do not be prey.
>>
>>53685854
Out of those musashi interests me the most, i suppose i should read the book of 5 rings?
>>
>>53689002
It's such a short work, there is no reason not to read it.
>>
>>53689002
Book of Five Rings is great, at the start it's all tactics for being a good individual fighter, how he avoided being defeated when outnumbered, combat philosophy, applying his fighting philosophies to non-combat situations, stuff like that.
>>
Have you tried answering questions with questions?
>>
>>53690673
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKGX9tdPeN0
>>
>>53688206
You best not be talkin smack about preacher jokes
That shit is a master class in self-deprecative humor. The punch line of most jokes are "Christians are awful, especially those in positions of authority within a church body"
>>
>>53689002
TBo5R is both useful and short, go for it.

That said, depending on the kind of monk you're running, I'd say that looking into Laozi would be more beneficial.
>>
>>53689002
Try Dokkodo. It's to the point.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.