[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Modern RPG system/setting needed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: file.png (4MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
4MB, 1920x1200px
I am 32 and have never been able to enjoy fantasy settings and barely any sci-fi but I like the idea of RPG systems and storytelling set in the near future / recent past.

Is there anything out there for me? Maybe a social disorder setting but not full on Fallout.

Goblins, elves and magic put me in a coma. I wish I could enjoy that as there is so much content along those lines, but my imagination is allergic to it.

Hopefully you can help me out and I can get reading and playing something I can enjoy.
>>
>>53681404
Everyone is John
>>
>>53681404
Your question is pretty broad. Are you looking for a setting with nothing supernatural what so ever? When you say near future how near do you mean, when you mean recent past how recent are we talking here?
>>
Do you want any supernatural at all? There's a lot of horror or urban fantasy in modern or recent historical settings, if you can stomach that.
>>
>>53681462
Googling this now

>>53681468
Glad that I am bring broad rather than too narrow. It gives me hope I will find something.

Some supernatural will be OK, but bare minimum . More like creepy setting, weird towns or buildings, but not overt ghosts and it certainly wouldn't be the focus of things. As for setting, somewhere 30 years plus or minus... not full cyberpunk but not full Victoriana either

Maybe something a bit like this, but with room for more PCs and a bit younger:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hap_and_Leonard
>>
>>53681404
>near-future social disorder
Technoir! It's hard-boiled cyberpunk with some deceptively simple mechanics.
It's a bit weird to run at first. To GM it is to sort of play your own little story-writing mini game around the players: instead of having prepared adventures you have a prepared pool of interlinked setting elements that get pulled into the narrative over time.
>>
>>53681603
So I assume you've already heard of Call of Cthulhu, the World of Darkness series, and Unknown Armies, right? Are you looking for something with no supernatural things? There are definitely plenty of detective and military based rpgs out there with no supernatural stuff, too.
>>
>>53681667
>>53681603
>not full cyberpunk
Shoulda updated the page before submitting. Ah well!

If you want it to really reflect storytelling beats, check out Fate Core (or the more straightforward and lighter-weight Fate Accelerated).
>>
>>53681603
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hap_and_Leonard
Wow, this looks like complete garbage.
>>
>>53681462
I enter the post to type this
>>
I don't really understand the question because you're not saying what kind of genre you want, just what kind of setting the system comes with.

Are you looking for Earthbound? For Deus Ex? For Broken Sword? A modern setting says nothing about what kind of game you want to play
>>
>>53683228
This
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.