[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Story Lore Thread: No New Card Spoiler Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 30

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/hour-revelation-2017-06-07

Good Story, but God forbid WotC Spoil on or two new cards.
>>
>>53671303
I was hoping for a bit more fanfare, given the build up to the hours and the opening of the gate.
Also was pretty depressing that the gods had zero ability to reply bolas.
>>
File: c4rd4r7_BZ3snEOak3.jpg (80KB, 850x500px) Image search: [Google]
c4rd4r7_BZ3snEOak3.jpg
80KB, 850x500px
Yeah him just casually deleting them was pretty lame.

Also posting the rest of the art in the article.
>>
File: c4rd4r7_xxtLmk0lvJ.jpg (111KB, 850x500px) Image search: [Google]
c4rd4r7_xxtLmk0lvJ.jpg
111KB, 850x500px
>>
File: c4rd4r7_3jiOJ2aRbs.jpg (121KB, 850x500px) Image search: [Google]
c4rd4r7_3jiOJ2aRbs.jpg
121KB, 850x500px
>>
>>53671525
>>53671598
This was pre/immediately-post mending Bolas, god level Bolas rushing to set his plan in motion before losing his power
>>
>all that buildup
>literal river of blood
>just for him to call out Liliana
What a fucking anticlimax. Everything is going to shit, and we're still supposed to care more about the Gatewatch than about the literal end of the world.
>>
>>53671676
On top of that, no spoilers, like it was a fine story, but God forbid it have a little more meat to it.
>>
>>53671612
lol this art is so shit compared to the others

>>53671676
>this entire plane's lifestyle
>j/k it's all about her
as a mono black planeswalker, she must be absolutely frothing right now
>>
>>53671303

I'm know this is going to be a blow out for the Gatewatch, where they are going to lose though I think Liliana will kill her demon I'm really hoping Hazoret atleast regains her mind against Bolas.
>>
>>53671658
Oh yeah, I understood that. I wasn't expecting much of a fight, but something a bit more then two arrows, and then fleeing.
>>
>>53671709
Spoiler season hasn't started yet. What were you expecting?
>>
>>53671717
They fucking better lose.
>>
>All these kangz dying is just to get a girl's attention.
The author is a woman, is she not?
>>
>>53671658
Oh yeah the whole mending thing happened.

>>53671715
I love it. It's so old-magic.
>>
File: 13658395964.jpg (193KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
13658395964.jpg
193KB, 1200x675px
>>53671303
Post reading song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7dTBoW5H9k
>>
>>53671730
Just one of two cards, I don't see why its such a big fucking deal to wait to spoiler season. Maybe just the set trailer.
>>
>>53672082
Well, then consider the new Bolas card to be the article's spoiler.
>>
>>53671303
>seven gods
>no sign of Bontu

It's a mono-Black is evil episode isn't it
>>
>>53672154
Kef was KO'd
>>
File: 173829486749.png (142KB, 415x367px) Image search: [Google]
173829486749.png
142KB, 415x367px
>>
File: nicol_bolas_god_pharaoh.jpg (29KB, 251x353px) Image search: [Google]
nicol_bolas_god_pharaoh.jpg
29KB, 251x353px
>>53672364
Sorry to burst your bubble.
>>
>>53672393
Bolas-sama is a god in spirit, I'm talking about the weak gods
>>
>>53672364
I assume gods cannot be planeswalkers like angels cant be because they are artificial constructs of the plane
>>
>>53672557
Well there was Xenagos.
>>
>>53672612
Xenagos was a planeswalker first, god second.

The theros gods are also functionally different then the Amonkhet gods.
>>
>>53672612
Yes, and there was Ob Nixilis on the demon front, and maybe someday Elspeth on the angel front.

In all these cases, we're dealing with a mortal who sparked and THEN became whatever thing cannot normally be a planeswalker.
>>
>>53672557
Xenagos says hi.
>>
>>53672786
Can you not read?
>>
>>53672786
Anon please, see below posts.

>>53672640
>>53672678
>>
>>53672640
Technically, it would depend on the manner of ascension. Mortal taking on role of god, like Xenagos, would be fine. For Amonkhet. Get a bunch of leylines, coil them up into god shape, and tie them to a person. In theory.
>>
>>53672612
>>53672786

He was a planeswalker first idiot
>>
>>53672829
Planeswalker wouldnt mean shit. Anybody who wirked it out could have done it, the question was whether his Spark would survive the change (which it did).
>>
Sum it up. I don't want to read any trash they shit out after nu zendikar.

>jacetice league member dieing
>on a plane where you can resurrect (embalm) stuff
KEK
>>
>>53673014
Summary
Starts off with flash back
>Bolas shows up to amonkhet right after mending
>destroys every city but one, gods are powerless to stop him
>corrupts the 5 known gods, stashes the other gods else where.

Back to current time
>hours are upon us
>the gates to the afterlife open
>just more wasteland is beyond the gates
>Lilian's demon comes flying in
>Turns the luxu into a river of blood, and calls out seeking Liliana.
>>
>>53673076
Didn't the story say that all of the other cities on Amonkhet were already gone by the time Bolas arrived? Him entering Naktamunn (or whatever it is) seemed like the first time they'd seen him. By that point the Hekma already existed.
>>
>>53673134
Yes the story explicitly states that.

"The gods of Amonkhet saw the dragon hovering outside the protection of the Hekma. They climbed to the tops of their highest vantage points and armed themselves for battle. They were determined not to fail this time. No monster could defeat the eight gods of Amonkhet. Not when Naktamun was all that remained."
>>
>>53673134
>>53673150
Sorry, the story explicitly states that bolas destroyed them. I read your post incorrectly
>>
>>53671837
Both the author and the creative lead for the set are women. So it's not surprising that this Egyptian Set is:
>We Waz
>Blacked
>#resist
>Strong Independent Black Woman that need no Dragon
>>
>>53671837
I'm sure what she intended to portray was that the demon Lil was searching for detected her before she detected it.

You have to understand that women have only learned how to write recently, let alone the ability to read itself. They're very far from perfect.
>>
>>53673636
>>53673714
edgy
>>
File: beholdmygrandeur.png (187KB, 265x379px) Image search: [Google]
beholdmygrandeur.png
187KB, 265x379px
>>53671303
The flashback was good, the rest was a vehicle to establish Razaketh. "May his return come quickly and may we be found worthy."
>>
>>53673165
The way it was written seemed to suggest that the world was already gone to shit when Bolas arrived.
There is no mention of him doing anything between Bolas arriving and the battle for Naktamun and the line about them not failing this time could refer to whatever other monsters ruined the world.
The fact that they got instantly deafeated by Bolas would suggest that they had never encountered him before, if they had why were they still around and were so clueless to to what he was capable of. But if Bolas had been on a rampage surely they would have gone to slay him long before they were down to one city?
>>
>>53673808
pusy
>>
>>53674019
I actually assume it was Razaketh that fucked the world up at first.
>>
>>53674019
its a bit unclear, but the "they will not fail this time" seems to infer it was bolas who had fucked up things.
>>
>>53673714
This statement is unclear.

We already know the demon was aware of Liliana, it happened a few stories back when she was exploring with jace and set off some magical alarm.
>>
>>53674433
But the rest of the text implies that they had no idea about Bolas power. If their past failure was Bolas, they would have a better idea of what to expect.
And the beginning of the flashback also implies that Bolas just arrived and needed to deal with the obstacles in a small period of time.
>>
>>53674612
That is what gets me.

What happened to the rest of the cities then, and why bother bringing it up in such short detail?
>>
>>53673808
snowflake
>>
>>53674650
I still say Razaketh.
>>
>>53674391
He seems like the most obvious one outside of Bolas.

>>53674433
I interpreted it as them having failed at previous threats, not Bolas himself.

It feels a bit weird to leave it so vague when there could easily have been a line mentioning Bolas getting to work destroying the world rather than just jumping from him entering the world to the final battle without any mention of what happened inbetween.
>>
>>53674692
>>53674695
It seems incredibly odd for a single demon to completely ravage a plane when there are indestructible beings protecting it.
>>
>>53674650
I'm with >>53674692
Razaketh seems to be the other threat they failed to deal with. Maybe the nudge to that would be that the gods may be uncorrupted at some point, to deal with him once again.
>>
>>53674650
Hopefully it will be brought up what could have fucked up the world this bad.

Bolas was the easy pick but with him excluded it probably means that Razaketh is one powerful mofo to ruin a world like this. If it is him at all.
>>
>>53674591
Statements pretty clear if you actually read the story, which I'm assuming you have which is why you might not be suprised as opposed to the others complaining about the writing when he yelled out her name.
>>
>>53674791
Maybe Razaketh isn't an immediate threat compared to Bolas, but he can shit stuff up overtime if unchecked. The blood river makes me think of that, since it's probably referrencing the plagues of Egypt, only now coming from a demon instead of Yahweh.
>>
>>53674019

Bolas had to have been fucking up the plane before. In this, he literally kills everybody who is not a baby. And I n the previous (or maybe the one before it) story Samut finds the engravings of Bolas's horns along side the word "Tresspasser" both outside of the city and inside of the city. If this was the first time encountering Bolas, and he utterly annilated anybody capable of talking who carved those Horns and "TRESSPASSER"?
>>
>>53673014
Unlike Theros, the mummies are dead dead and thus will have lost their spark.
Theros is the only plane so far where death works differently and you can bring a planeswalker back to life theoretically. And no, becoming a Returned doesn't work there because that'll fuck shit up, you have to drag them out of the underworld manually.
>>
>>53673714
>Autists can't into fiction and compensate by reading memes into the text every time they confuse themselves
>Higher Aspie shepherds them to the right answer while also letting them keep their delusions so they feel better

It's cool that you people look out for each other.
>>
>>53675152
No wonder the world went to shit.
You can't have a straightforward communication anymore. It's always memetext being wrongly translated with countermemes.
>>
>>53674612

Bolas might have had enough time the first time he entered the plane to wreck it covertly.

He then probably went away for some time, and due to time constraints, came back here to finish the job using more direct methods that forced him to show himself, thus getting the surprised reaction from the gods.

>>53674754

While we know there are a few methods to defeat indestructible things like gods, I don't think Razaketh is capable of the initial onslaught that brought the other cities down, too. I say Razaketh was instated by Bolas after he brought the eight gods down.
>>
>>53674754
Gix managed to go against oldwalkers. Demons can be pretty powerful.
I wonder how strong Belzenlok is.
>>
>>53674878
Well Liliana was introduced to her demons through Bolas, so maybe he Razaketh was empowered by him at some point?

>>53674938
Good point.
>>
>>53675441
Gix isn't a traditional demon.
Gix is a human criminal, who became one of the original Phyrexian monstrosities.
>>
>>53671303

I don't know what will upset me more. When the super friends effortlessly crush Bolas' because of the power of friendship, or that Bolas doesn't murder them for it while taking several planes out with them.
>>
>>53675441
Gix more often used indirect methods during the Brothers' War.

When he fought Urza face-to-face, he simply used his physicality to get in Urza's face all the time, denying the walker enough time to cast anything that truly demonstrated his vast power.
>>
>>53675613
What upsets me more is the inevitable return to Dominaria under these new writers hands.
>>
>>53675847

I am am pretty positive we will never directly return to Dominaria just as we'll never directly return to Lorwyn.
>>
>>53675613
>When the super friends effortlessly crush Bolas' because of the power of friendship

There doesn't seem to be anything that could help them on this plane. They don't have the easy access to mana that Zendikar provided. Bolas would certainly not copy Emrakul's about-face when victory is at hand, and he certainly isn't as weak as Tezzeret + the Consulate. Fucking Samut won't do shit unless she sacrifices her spark and transmute that into something that can overwhelm Bolas. They best they can do to get out of the situation is to planeswalk away.
>>
>>53675925
>Fucking Samut won't do shit unless she sacrifices her spark and transmute that into something that can overwhelm Bolas.

I would be fine with the Gatewatch "winning" this block like that if it meant Samut doesn't show up again.
>>
>>53675847
>return to Dominaria
>inevitable
The last block set on Dominaria was a decade ago. Nearly half of the game's lifespan. The majority of current players have never been exposed to the plane and have no reason to care about it.

I don't see any reason to assume that we're ever going back.
>>
>>53675994
But it's racist to not have someone who has the skin tone of one who is of African descent on the team!
>>
File: 1491978144890.png (556KB, 768x517px) Image search: [Google]
1491978144890.png
556KB, 768x517px
>>53675441
>>53675741
>yfw Gix finally emerges from the blind eternities and not only wrecks the gatewatch but wrecks Norn and instills himself as the New Father of Machines
>>
>>53676154
>The majority of current players have never been exposed to the plane and have no reason to care about it.

The Gatewatch is supposed to reconvene there. Plus, Dominaria-flavored chase rares / Masterpieces.
>>
>>53671984
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYAT153VNKo
>>
>>53671984

https://youtu.be/HPYQB7AsSkg
>>
>>53676169
just make Liliana black and of african skintone and pretend that she has always been this way. It worked with Gideon.
>>
So are we going to get old man Bolas green texts like Gideon did in Kaladesh?
>>
>>53671303
Is it me or the entire Amonkhet story arc looks more like an amateur D&D Campaign? The entire presentation of the demon and the ending in "Liliana, I know where you are~" ressembles too much how my DM would present a background story boss. The entire plot is having that feeling. And it is not a good feel, you know.

Other example was the arrival to Amonkhet with those "and suddenly WURMS!". They don't help anything to the advance of the story. They don't add anything to the plot. It looked like they were there because the DM planned a random encounter to captivate McMuscles player's attention and the wurms were the number rolled by the d100.

Other example was the bartening when they first went into the capital city. It looked for me more like Gideon's player mocking the low rolls of Jace's player and the DM remembering the players to keep it ic speaking throught the avian to avoid breaking immersion.

Maybe this is why Magic lore is going to shit so much. Maybe we are just following their RPG campaign as they wank about their characters.
>>
>>53677735
You forgot Nissa's player being so incapable of figuring things out that the GM has to sledgehammer it into her skull via Eldrazi to get her to understand.
>>
>>53677811
Don't be mean to the autist of the party
>>
>>53677487
>aw HELL naw
>i know you didn't jus talk bout my zombie like dat
>i ain't playin wichoo skanky ass pointy eared bitch cuz you a hoe
>>
>>53677022
That's a pretty perfect choice thematically.

>>53676868
Fuck man, the soundtrack for that movie was amazing.
>>
>>53677735
>Other example was the arrival to Amonkhet with those "and suddenly WURMS!". They don't help anything to the advance of the story. They don't add anything to the plot.

The sandwurms, along with the heat, sandstorms, zombies and weakened mana are supposed to show the harshness of Amonkhet outside Naktamun. They're obviously not there to advance the plot. They just help establish the feel of the world. You have to have those things if you're trying to tell a story. Not every element in a story is going to advance the plot.

Additionally, sandwurms are a good threat to use to show the strength and benignness of the God that helped the Gatewatch. They could have used a Horror or a Demon, but it seems sandwurms appeared in greater numbers in the area they ended up in.
>>
File: 1458997097099.gif (3MB, 200x180px) Image search: [Google]
1458997097099.gif
3MB, 200x180px
>>53676408
>>
>>53671717
Lilliana is going to fuck off and to fight Razaketh and Jace is going to chase after he because:

A) He wants that 300 year old snatch
B) He promised to her help her fight him.

Nissa, Gideon and Chandra will then be left to fight Bolas alone (as we see in Archenemy) where they will get the shit kicked out of them. In a few sets time they'll actually fight united and this time will win.
>>
>>53672678
Ob Nixilis was a man cursed by the Chain Veil. Exactly the same as Garruk. They weren't born demons.
>>
>>53673636
so where does the "darkies are ignorant and need a group of white folk to come and tell them that their culture is evil and barbaric" part fit in with all that?
>>
>>53678524
also the first sandwurm spontaneously turning into a zombie after they kill it introduced us to the "things don't say dead here" aspect of the plane
>>
>>53678581

I am hoping more for

> "Lilliana Vess... what are YOU doing here? Heroics are so unlike you."
> "I'm here for Razaketh, Bolas. To kill him before my deal comes full circle."
> "That's HILARIOUS. And how do you plan on accomplishing that?"
> "Well, I have the Chain Veil. Its pretty OP. And I lucked out into not getting instantly consumed by its curse by inflicting it on some other guy too."
> "The Chain Veil? So you think, with that artifact and your new friends, you can beat Razaketh?"
> "Yep. While we're here, they want to beat you too."
> "Hmmm."
*Bolas instakills Razaketh*
> "I didn't need him anymore anyway. Your work here is done, Lilianna. Have fun with that final demon. You really should be going while I still find this amusing."

And then Lilianna boogies out because if she doesn't Bolas will kill her, and Jace follows after to try and bring her back in time for the fight.
>>
>>53681398

That actually sounds like something that would actually happen, but instead we're going to get to watch the Jacetice League of Social Justice defeat the evil male tyrant of oppression!
>>
>>53681398
Bolas is almost 100% guaranteed to be the one to kill the demon when things go a bit south (but not enough to ruin his plan overall).

What the fuck does he care if Lili gets one step closer when he can just step on her at any point?
>>
File: 1235687996.jpg (14KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1235687996.jpg
14KB, 400x400px
>>53681398
>when you want this over what the actual plot will be.
>>
>>53681398

"Making a deal for power, using it to attain even greater power, and then turning around and murdering anyone who might enforce consequences on you? Ah, such fond memories of my youth. I knew there was a reason I invested in you, Vess."
>>
>>53681537

Yeah. I don't see him begrudging her going after the demons, as long as she doesn't inconvenience him in the process. She already did the favor she owed Bolas for setting up the demon contract anyway.

If anything, this should be treated like something of a surprise party.

"Lilianna, so good to see you again. And there we have Jace and the fire girl, who were so kind as to break Ugin's seal for me and release the Eldrazi. Have you seen Sarkhan anywhere, by chance? I seem to have lost track of him."

> stares blankly at Nissa and Gideon

"I'm sorry, who are you? Did I involve you two in any of my machinations? I honestly can't remember."
>>
File: 1484334873141.jpg (32KB, 444x392px) Image search: [Google]
1484334873141.jpg
32KB, 444x392px
>>53671612
Is it just me, or does Razaketh look like the stupidest one out of all of Lilliana's demons? Or...just out of most demons in general?
>>
>>53681537

Actually >>53681915 summed up how I was going to respond to that. If anything, Bolas would be proud of his investment because of his immense vanity, and killing Razzledazzle would be without a doubt a favor Bolas could use for leverage on the future, especially since he knows she'll likely out live the gatewatch sans Hitler.

>>53681976
>Hey blue boy. Wanna try to fuck each others brains out again?
>>
>>53681989
I think it's just a shitty drawing.
>>
File: Belzenlok_duels.png (461KB, 596x467px) Image search: [Google]
Belzenlok_duels.png
461KB, 596x467px
>>53681989
Belzenlok is pretty bad.
>>
>>53682218
God I hope they change him
>>
File: 146464756743.png (131KB, 245x312px) Image search: [Google]
146464756743.png
131KB, 245x312px
>>53671612
How come being SJW and all WotC didn't put a disclaimer saying:
>cutting yourself is bad!
>>
>>53671709
technically you could say this is spoilers... as most of the story pictures were cards/tokens, and I see no reason why these images aren't the same
>>
File: sad-meme.jpg (13KB, 264x306px) Image search: [Google]
sad-meme.jpg
13KB, 264x306px
>>53672640
>>53672484
>>53672557
makes you wonder, a planeswalker CAN ascend to godhood, but are they still a planeswalker after that point? Being attached to the plane as a god would probably mean you can't leave the plane no? Does this also mean that Bolas gave up his godhood when he became a planeswalker, and set all the "plans" into motion so he can re-ascend to godhood after creating the ultimate planer army?
Also rip afterlife
https://youtu.be/_asNhzXq72w
>>
>>53683204
A) Bolas was never an actual god, he means he had so much damn power he might as well be one - or, as today's article showed, was beyond that even when losing said power. Fucker was strong. All premending walkers were, but Bolas was also an Elder Dragon and ancient as shit.
B) Xenagos was confirmed to have kept his spark even after ascending to godhood. He just didn't WANT to leave - he WANTED to be a big fish in a little pond, that was the entire point of his shit.
>>
Somewhere in the Blind Eternities Urza and Yawgmoth are watching everything unfold and are just laughing their asses A'La Waldorf and Statler
>>
>>53683727

My favorite bit showing just how much power old Bolas had was that he would fucking wreck leaser planes just by showing up and had to arrive on greater planes like Dominaria along the Leylines, hence why his throne in Madara sat where the blue, red, and black leyline crossed.
>>
>>53683779

Nah. Urza and Yawg are, like, the two most confirmed-dead dead motherfuckers in the history of the franchise.

NO ONE is as incredibly dead as they are.

We are talking Uncle Ben levels of dead here. Batman's parents levels of dead. Not even in the Graveyard dead.
>>
File: 2[1].jpg (38KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
2[1].jpg
38KB, 312x445px
>>53683839
>>
>>53683204
So Bolas was never a god, he is an extremely powerful Elder Dragon who has killed a couple of gods now. Bolas "god" status was just because pretending Bolas could take on all 8 gods with out even trying. The trends seem to be, give up your walker powers become a god on theros, Ob was human walker, cursed into becoming a demon, he can now leave Zendikar because he got the headon removed from his body but he is stuck in demon form. Tibalt was human and became a devil after his spark. Sorin became a vampire thru ritual and never "died" so he can have a spark. And following these trends everyone feels that Elspeth will most likely come back as an Angel walker which works since as a human she got her spark first. They have rules about what can and can not, but WotC takes advantage of the loop holes for every no human walker.
>>
>>53680842
That actually happened and Maro's team got shit from the nigger consultant they hired. WotC brought this plague upon themselves.
>>
File: 1493084037785.jpg (11KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1493084037785.jpg
11KB, 480x270px
>>53683876

>wizards.com/hottub
>404

After all those years.
>>
>>53684007
>Gideon isn't a """"person of color""""
blacks really are the most racist
>>
File: C9jrtzvXUAE6Kwy.jpg (135KB, 873x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C9jrtzvXUAE6Kwy.jpg
135KB, 873x1200px
>>53682218
Holy Fuck that looks like Spoony's Girlfriend's D&D characters rape fan art
>>
>>53682799
Well.
Demons are bad.
Demons cut themselves.
So cutting yourself is bad.
It's like with Hitler. Everyone knows that art, magic, cars and anti-smoking campaigns are bad.
>>
>>53674787
Except Bontu. Bontu's a goner.
>>
Just wondering, if Bolas is basically the god of Amonkek, and the Gaywatch are going to beat him with the power of friendship... does this mean that MtG has become a JRPG?
>>
>>53671984
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rcmeMxxGYw
>>
>>53673636
But she needs her man...
>>
>>53671612
hopefully this is just the art for a spell and not for Razaketh's card
>>
>>53677735
I wouldn't be surprised if the current crop of magic writers look up to will weathon as an ispiration.
>>
>>53686025
But most likely they're not going to beat bolas. They're going to split into two groups and get wrkt in not time
>>
Why is Hazoret about the only god that gets story time?
Why are a bunch of shitty humans always the stars of the show?
Why is it, wherever the Gatewatch go, they ruin everything, make everything about themselves, and cause the story to contract from a wide open view full of possibilities to "Oh, look, here's these dipshits acting the same now as they did five+ years ago."
What makes reading about these cocksuckers so awful is they never change. They do the same things, make the same mistakes. They never grow.
Fuck, man. They could've had a story about the gods fucking shit up, maybe working with the invading chucklefucks to take down bolas. Let the inhabitants of the plane show what they can do instead of "Here's Jace and Co, plus one or two natives for flavor."
>>
>>53687317
Isn't the whole reason we're on this plane because the gatewatch are coming here to fuck with Bolas's plans? They've acted entirely consistently with that.
>>
>>53687496
That's the point I'm trying to make. It's always about the Jacetice League vs Big Bad of the Week (block) featuring a new background.
The people (and gods, or whoever) in the plane they invade don't matter aside from one or two token characters who interact with The Jacetice League a little more often than others. The characters who get the extra interaction will almost always be humans as well, or at least a human derivative - such as elves, vampires, and so on. The only major plot character allowed to be anything other than human is the big bad evil guy.
It's very reminiscent of how older comic books told their story.
>>
>>53688186
Human, elf, black, merfolk, vampire, MAYBE goblins or leonin if we're super lucky. Also the planes are always filled with tokenism since they can't be arsed to fluff out characters more than stereotypes
>>
What will the MMO do to the fluff?
>>
>>53683903
>give up your walker powers become a god on theros
Xenagos explicitly did not give up his Spark, anon.

Obnoxious is still a demon because he was trapped in that form on Zendikar pre-Mending. Post-mending, he can't exactly change himself any more, and he needed to reignite his Spark. If Elspeth comes back as an angel, she would need to be physically transformed into one in such a way that she doesn't lose her Spark (or if she does, in such a way that she can reignite it).
>>
>>53686964
The do, in one of their podcast they talk about how they hold their meetings and it's like a tv show.
>>
>>53688278
>Human, elf, black, merfolk
Kek.
>>
>>53688559
Probably nothing.
>>
>>53688186

Being like a comic book is the point. They are suppose to be like the Avengers so they can be the "face of Magic". It's far easier to market five chucklefucks and call them the Jacetice League, I mean the Gatewatch than it is to sell the concept of different planes and such.

It's all for the MtG movie, which they want to be like the Avengers, so Mark Rosewater can rejoin his people in Hollywood.
>>
>>53689684
>It's all for the MtG movie, which they want to be like the Avengers
>MtG movie
>like the Avengers
Say it ain't so
>>
>>53690794
They've been wanting to make a MtG movie for a while, but got hit with the question 'Who is your main character? Who is it that people look at and know 'that's Magic the Gathering'? Who is your superman, your spiderman?'
>>
>>53692241
This movie, when it's finally made, it's gonna suck monkey balls ain't it?
>>
>>53692269
Of course it is.
>>
>>53692331
Just checking.
>>
>>53689684
I mean the old comics, like the shit during the 50s and 60s. At least all the new reboots make an attempt to have more grey area in their characters and the characters actually grow and change.
>>53692241
I don't understand why they want a movie and comics and everything to begin with.
>>
>>53692474
Because every property that is ANYTHING wants to have a movie, and someone higher up than them is eyeing the Cinematic Universe thing going on now and seeing that there is a brand under Hasbro control with a history of longwinded plots to mine for that and whatnot.
>>
>>53673636
Ebin post, so redpilled my friend.
>>
>>53692241
But why a movie? Wouldn't a series be a much better platform to try and flesh out such complex and, let's be honest here, messy lore as MtG's. A movie is gonna fail 100%. A series might just work if done right.
>>
>>53693001
Because everybody who is ANYBODY has a movie!
It's the sign that you've officially 100% Made It Big! Just think about what you can do once you've had a MOVIE! The value of your property will skyrocket! Everyone will know about it!
>>
>>53693096
Remember when wizards had that d&d movie made? So much stock value. What a good investment.
>>
>>53693314
You say that like Upper Management ever learns from its mistakes.
Or is the same Upper Management as the ones who decided to make said movie, or are even aware of it at all.
And thus, history repeats itself, as always.
>>
File: dungeonmaster.jpg (40KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
dungeonmaster.jpg
40KB, 480x360px
>>53693314
There was a d&d movie?! Never heard about it. But I still remember pic related. How come a campy 80s cartoon had better staying power than a big budget (I assume) movie?
>>
File: 2946273-dd.jpg (39KB, 640x354px) Image search: [Google]
2946273-dd.jpg
39KB, 640x354px
>>53693500
Honestly it's only good to watch for Jeremy Irons's performance. He was having so much fun making this movie, and it really saves the movie, aside from him it's garbage.
>>
File: 1490837570635.jpg (56KB, 640x696px) Image search: [Google]
1490837570635.jpg
56KB, 640x696px
>>53693314
I had managed to completely forget that existed until now.
Thanks, anon.
>>
Wizards has paid you to create a new set.

What is it and what's the plot of it?
>>
>>53692614
I mean, if they made a movie out of battleship...
>>
>>53695902
dinosaur set
the plot involves a nihilist dinosaur wizard summoning a metorite to blow up the plane
>>
>>53695902
Battle for Innistrad

Baron Sengir tries to conquer the plane
>>
>>53695902
If you had asked this question ANY TIME before Amonkhet I would have answered 'Empire of Madara'
Gatewatch learn that Bolas has up to his old tricks, bringing back his old empire! They arrive there...and it's the biggest, most populous city on the plane.
There has to be some sort of trick or trap or something going on, so they fuck around in that way they are oh so good at, trying to figure out what he's up to and upsetting how things are done in the process.
The block itself shows how Dominaria is doing through the lens of Madara - flavor texts about emissaries from rebuilding nations, refugees from elsewhere. The place is the shining star of the world, and everyone knows it. Turns out most other places are having a hard time rebuilding after the giant apocalypse pileup, but some are doing decent, just nowhere near as well as Madara.
The secret of the block? The only things even remotely close to morally wrong Bolas is doing on Dominaria are not helping any other group whatsoever unless it furthers Madara to do so, and drawing off skilled people who'd help the other nations via simple things such as money, safety, gifts, etc. Madara is HIS and damn if it won't be THE BEST for that simple reason.
Now, though? Fuck if I know.
>>
File: 1411006615099.jpg (468KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1411006615099.jpg
468KB, 1600x1000px
>>53695902
Plain: Cascara
Theme: Pirates
It's an Ocean world filled with many different Islands. There 5 Pirate War Lords fight for control, treasure, and a powerful material called viento. Viento is a metal like substance that is magical attaching to these powerful magical wind currents. Using it allows ships to move at amazing speeds (it could also be an air current that would allow ships to fly in the sky) We would see the return of vehicles as pirate ships and land vehicles with sails on them. Each of the 5 pirate fractions would be based on the enemy colors so there would be a Boros group that wants to keep the order thru force. Rakdos pirates are like Blackbeard pirates. The simic group who want to protect the seas treasures. The Races you would see would be Human, Kor, Merflolk, Zombies, and something new, anything new would be welcomed. The key aspect of the set is that we get the Enemy commands and vehicles.

The Lore is that the gatewatch has grown and has many different members. So we see Ral Zarek and Narset come to the plain since word is that Bolas sent Spies to look into this Viento. There they uncover muntainy in the B/R pirates and there new leader is working with the B/G Zombie pirates to steal all the Viento from the other groups. But Ral and Narset find out that it's all because of the work of Ashiok. We get two new walker who are young pirates who have grown up together in the Boros crew. At the end of the story we find out that one of the young pirates betrays Ral and Narset and becomes a B/R Walker that joins Bolas's crew and the R/W walker works to save them and joins the gatewatch. In the end the gatewatch saves the day but results in a Battle between Narset and Ashiok that awakes Narset's inner red that makes her become a Jeski walker. After the gatewatch leaves there lack of leaders in the R/B and the G/B crew creates a power vacuum for the return set.
>>
>>53697766
Minus the spelling errors that sounds really cool.
>>
>>53697766

That's a whole lot of work to make Narset a Jeskai Walker.
>>
File: I'dtapthat.jpg (97KB, 960x768px) Image search: [Google]
I'dtapthat.jpg
97KB, 960x768px
>>53698014
My story is focused on the world and Ral and Narset are background pieces. It's more a story for the two young rivals from the R/W crew. And you and I both know Wizards has jumped thru way more hoops to change a walkers color identity.
>>
>>53697203
>bolas
>helping others
>>
>>53698494
>dem tights
HNNGGG

Nice fanfic btw.
>>
>>53695902
Either Return to Kamigawa (I'd call it Redemption of Kamigawa).

Kami and redeemed bushi fighting together against the factories of mechas and soldiers led by honorless shogun who embraced industrialization, zaibatsu-style. Zaibatsus reap and consume the mana, quite literally. While the samurai and spirits cast shit by tapping mana and using the old keywords, the industrialized use colorless mana and sometimes even destroy their own lands to increase production.
If I had no remorse I'd even put Katapeshi plane travelers behind the zaibatsus, or one of the recurrent enemies - either Phyrexia or some far Eldrazi influence.

Another option would be Landless Scrapyard.

Literally lots of clouds, artificial islands of floating scrap held together by balloons, and stuff like that. Everyone wonders what happened, where did the land go. Falling is the great unknown, sometimes one falls for so long it comes back from high, or comes back the way they came. They all come back changed, in a way or another, so the ones that come back alive learn magic to control the scrap towards what they saw in the great unknown.
Truth is, it's a broken plane, which has openings into the blind eternities. perhaps the matter of the land was destroyed in some planar catastrophe, but it literally still has the sinkhole from where the stuff poured out. And sometimes, something pours in. Not just eldrazi, which apparently have little power here for some reason and are seen as petty, but even stuff from other planes. Mana too, which makes for an interesting combination of mana currents.
Obviously kor and goblins all around.
A lot of mechanics revolving around flying, killing non-flying creatures and powering up cycle keywords.
>>
>>53695902
Two choices. Either the Viking-themed set that me and a friend have been working on, wherein Tamiyo runs into Garruk, Tibalt starts a cult, and prophecy is abused, leading a grouchy middle aged man to kidnap a teenager and travel across the country on a quest to kill God.

Or, if I actually had the MtG team and their creative notes, Equilor.
Entire set is Beksinski and Geiger styled biotech, ruins so ancient they defy reason, shards of other planes and ancient planeswalkers drifting in like debris through the Eon Fog. Spinxes rule over seas of tissue and flesh, while horrors and nightmares stalk through fog banks and trees of bone. Plot revolves around a couple of walkers traveling through the mess of the ancient plane, trying to find out what the Nexus of the Multiverse actually means, and why it's no longer Equilor. Maybe something to do with some kind of issue on Dominaria or learning of the civilization that Urza talked about being there, I'm not sure.
Mechanics wise, I'm thinking maybe morph, with an emphasis on noncreature morph, some kind of weird graveyard shenanigans, maybe bring back absorb as a keyword.
>>
>>53695902
Nice try MaRo
>>
>>53697766
Hear me out - crab people
>>
>>53700375
Oh Shit you got me
>>
File: 1419244364553.png (530KB, 668x504px) Image search: [Google]
1419244364553.png
530KB, 668x504px
>>53700623
Go on...
>>
>>53700642
And lots of wurms.
>>
>>53700771
STOP
>>
File: 121264.crop.hq.jpg (65KB, 420x306px) Image search: [Google]
121264.crop.hq.jpg
65KB, 420x306px
>>53701074
>>
>>53683903
I'm dying for an angel walker. Bring on angel Elsepeth.
>>
>>53701790
I too would be super cool with that as well, it works with the loop holes and would be appropriate with her old abilities of giving creatures flight.
>>
>>53699448
The idea is that it's his personal vanity project, a monument to his own greatness.
Another way to look at it is that the entire empire is his hoard. And a dragon takes good care of his hoard.
Thread posts: 170
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.