[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are Star Wars vehicles so retarded?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 277
Thread images: 45

File: AT-RT.png (159KB, 423x662px) Image search: [Google]
AT-RT.png
159KB, 423x662px
Why are Star Wars vehicles so retarded?
>>
Because it's a setting made for kids.

Like seriously, I worked in a kindergarten for a few years, all the boys loved Star Wars.
>>
>>53669877
because retarded is cool sometimes
>>
>>53669877
Because they're all designed to be reproduced in cheap Chinese plastic for children to buy.
>>
>>53669877
Because George Lucas is retarded
>>
Rule of cool, fool.
>>
F U N
>>
>>53669877
Because in the late 70s and early 80s, space opera didn't try for Nasa-Approved realism.
>>
>>53670211
>Because in the late 70s and early 80s, space opera didn't try for Nasa-Approved realism.
I choose this answer to reply to.
>>
>>53669877
a lot of sci-fi vehicles are retarded. Here I've got a challenge show me something that would make sense in the real world.
>>
File: TX-130_2.png (519KB, 1074x625px) Image search: [Google]
TX-130_2.png
519KB, 1074x625px
>>53669877
Most of the EU ones are designed by people with no concept of aesthetics or effectiveness, and some of the PT ones exist solely so they can say "see, look, this is a forerunner to X."

Walkers in particular run purely on rule of cool, with the in-setting justification that hovertanks can't get through theater shields and that they're better than treads in highly broken terrain (incredibly dubious, but it's the justification used). Probably the AT-ST is the least ridiculous of those.

Still, some have a modicum of thought, like the 'fighter tanks,' which operate more like attack helicopters than conventional tanks.
>>
File: AAT_swtcgvg.jpg (26KB, 796x438px) Image search: [Google]
AAT_swtcgvg.jpg
26KB, 796x438px
>>53670351
Then there's stuff like the AAT, which manages to be exotic but recognizable.
>>
File: babylon_5_wallpaper_1600x1200_9.jpg (299KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
babylon_5_wallpaper_1600x1200_9.jpg
299KB, 1600x1200px
>>53670309

Supposedly NASA asked if they could use the design
>>
>>53670794
>doubt.jpg
>>
File: IMG_1252.jpg (506KB, 1168x1810px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1252.jpg
506KB, 1168x1810px
>zero capability to defend itself if anything gets behind it or comes from the side
>zero ability to defend self from aircraft
>glaring weak spots in the neck and joints
>can be crippled completely by taking out the most vulnerable parts, the cockpit or any one of the legs
>would get BTFO by mines if anyone was smart enough to use them in SW
>no shields

Trash, how the fuck was this piece of shit even supposed to be scary?
>>
>>53670904
>zero ability to defend against aircraft
tell that to rogue squadron
>can be crippled in its cockpit or legs
it is hit dead straight on the legs to no ill-effect many times
>>
>>53670877

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfury#Real_world_interest

Though i did say 'supposedly'.
>>
>>53669877
It's just meant to look nice/fun/fancy (pick your poison) in a movie scene or two.
>>
>>53670904
I think they're just supposed to come unrelentingly and en mass.

I'm not really a star wars fan but a lot of these designs are just great provided you can suspend disbelief just enough to allow for walkers and spaceships.
>>
>>53669877
screen presence, star wars is a pulp so the details don't matter except as a means to write more star wars.
>>
>>53670904
>what is combined arms?

They are big/tall artillery platforms that vomit troops.
The supporting vehicles are what allow them to work.
>>
>>53670904
They're war elephants.
>>
>>53670904
It's a combination of an artillery platform and a troop transport. It fulfills its role very well.
>>
>>53669890
Oh, you must know everything about humanity after working with 5 year olds!
>>
>>53669877
>not liking walkers
Your taste is objectively shit
>>
>>53677784
Not that guy, but it helps around here.

>no u!
>nu-uh
>is too
>>
>>53670904
how the hell are you supposed to disembark from such thing ?
>>
>>53678627
It kneels down and lets you out.
>>
>>53678627
Ropes or the AT-AT can lower itself enough for troops to jump out I think.
>>
>>53678627
fast rope
>>
>>53670351
>It is highly dubious that floating over broken terrain is better than driving over it with a bunch of wheels and tracks

d e l u s i o n a l
>>
The AT-RT and AT-ST I will defend because the they are cool, Games Workshop clearly thought that. Look at the Eldar War Walker and IG Sentinel
>>
File: soyuz-tm-17_mir_2.jpg (270KB, 1129x759px) Image search: [Google]
soyuz-tm-17_mir_2.jpg
270KB, 1129x759px
>>53670794
>>53670877
>>53670938
Why would they ask a Sci-Fi show for the rights to a concept the Russians had flown in space 4 years before the primere of the tv show. Pictured the Sofora girder mounted thruster on Mir space station.
>>
>>53672929
It delivers a grand total of 40 troopers at a slow walking pace, is fucked if a leg falls in a hole and make's it troops easy targets when they deploy. At least the Clone Troopers used tons of aircraft for troop transport.
>>
>>53681942
The juggernaunt was way more efficie t as a troop transport.
>>
>>53682171
The Juggernaut takes two hours to make a turn and needs a spotter twenty feet off the roof to make any sense of direction. It's equally as retarded.
>>
>>53681942
>slow

Its slow but its legs are also long. Its slower pace is still quite fast.

t. Short person that needs to take two steps for every one step a tall person makes.

Its kind of like how people think elephants are slow but those niggas are faster than humans at walking pace.
>>
>>53670904
The Empire had air superiority in every viable engagement. Star Destroyers had more fighters than most planets.
>>
>>53681942
It's also nigh invincible. Only the biggest guns could scratch the damned thing, something 99% of people the Empire needed to fight on the ground didn't have. Hell, the Rebellion didn't have guns on Hoth that could do a damned thing, outside of extended concentrated fire on the joints by a stationary gun emplacement.
>>
File: IMG_1256.jpg (72KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1256.jpg
72KB, 480x480px
>>53670904
A slightly better take on a retarded concept
>>
>>53683102
The only real downside i can think of here, is that most of Star Wars still relies on visual targeting/driving/identification. The AT-AT neck lets the drivers literally look down and around/
>>
File: Syd Mead - US Steel Walker.jpg (1MB, 1500x704px) Image search: [Google]
Syd Mead - US Steel Walker.jpg
1MB, 1500x704px
>>53670211
>>53670904
>>53670245
Designed in 1969 by Syd Mead for a portfolio published by US Steel.
>>
>>53670370
I love the AAT. Really, the Trade Federation aesthetic was so lovely in general. They had the earth tones and rounded shapes of the "height of the rebellion" aesthetic, but everything was so aggressive instead of being sleek and pleasant.

I just finished putting together a model kit of a battle droid and STAP and being able to turn that sort of design over in your hands really makes all the little touches stand out. Speaking of standing, the only problem with the kit is the ankles are nigh-useless.
>>
>>53670183
this
>>
>>53670904
I believe they are meant to be deployed behind your lines. Their job is to work as an artillery and to completely crush enemy morale.
>>
>prequels
>forcefields on robots

>future
>no forcefield on anything
what happened?
>>
>>53683520
The OT-era forcefields were more advanced, to the point they're invisible. Remember how the shields on the N1 had a cloudy, watery look? Then compare with how shields react to fire in the OT, most obviously in Return of the Jedi where we see them most clearly.
>>
>>53683614
Oh yeah, I forgot about those.
>>
>>53670904
How many of these would it take to bring down a Warlord Titan?
>>
>>53677606

>too slow to be an effective transport
>too massive to be effective artillery
>>
>>53670904

I tend to think they're an analogue to a heavy tank in an armor taskforce. Supported by previously mentioned fighter tanks, AT-STs and ground troops on the surface, used as the spearhead to crack open defensible positions with waves of fire from high angles.

Granted, being so slow is a definite detriment, but in a world apparently without rockets, radars and guaranteed air cover, the walker is good at its job - in a similar respect to how a Tiger tank or an ISII tank is good at its job. It's just a giant fucking thing that breaks shit and can't be stopped easily.

Funnily enough, the prequel's AT-TE attempted to have a similar presence, but failed spectacularly. Blown to pieces in almost every skirmish. Typically unreliable. I guess it's indicative of late Republic overdesign and blatant disconnect from the reality of war, but...

The AT-AT's physical design isn't much better, is it? :B
>>
>>53683742
Artillery isn't determined by its size, but by distance and shell power.
>>
>>53683293
Syd Mead is a concept artist.
>>
>>53683742

It's better to think of the thing as a battering ram that outranges fortress defenses most of the time. The artillery is there to support its advance, not to support the advance of troops around it.
>>
>>53683783
The CIS-hets were a better funded, better organized, and all-round more powerful foe than the Rebel Alliance, for the most part. The shitlords were able to field better armies and better air support than the Alliance ever could. We rarely see Alliance vehicles in general, outside of space.
>>
>>53683882

This is very true. Likely the reason why the only thing about design philosophy that changed was the height and mechanical complexity.

Hailfire droids dope as fuck.
>>
>>53683925
Vulture droids are hilarious, and I love them.

I've not seen any of the CGI cartoons, so I don't know if anything like this is confirmed, but I like to imagine them with a sorta pack/flock mentality, basically being big dumb birds that get easily spooked but excited when they encounter something they don't recognize.
>>
>>53683991

They don't play it up as much as they should. Their bomber counterparts, Hyenas, giggle in flight, but most of the time they're played straight. Which is a shame, because I'd love to see them act like a flock of seagulls with lasers.

>when they encounter something

Now that's a thought... that's a fun way to introduce a robotic player character. Have a bunch of Vultures curiously looking them over while they wake up.
>>
>>53684111
I had an idea for an NPC who, after a particularly deft bit of smuggling or other black market work, was paid not in money or favor or pink slips but in a full deployment of trade federation battle droids and an associated battle computer. So he hooked the computer up in his mid-size freighter and just keeps the droids around to run it for him, saving him the cost of keeping a crew fed and clothed.

Unfortunately, they're not very good conversation. They can talk and even reason, but they're like children and get distracted very easily.
>>
>>53679385
Great reading comprehension there buddy.
>>
>>53684145

As they should. B1's are cripplingly stupid, but always fun to have around if only because they're the closest things Star Wars has to complete mooks.
>>
>>53669877
It's science fantasy.

Everything is retarded.
>>
>>53684226
They are, at no point in their creation were they meant to be taken as a serious threat. They're like rent-a-cops that you buy in bulk to have cheap security, so using them for actual combat is ill-advised.
>>
>>53681942
Tripp fuck off
>>
>>53682229
even by those standards it was slow. Unlike a biped, all four legs have to work in tandem towards the goal so it's kind of like double the time for it to get to the goal. Just look at the old movie too: the ATAT's legs don't have full swing capacity, and it moved pretty slow. I suppose it's biggest asset was that it was able to lay down fire from a high, stable vantage point.
>>
>>53683140
I think thats why they put the guns on this version on something similar to a ball swivel: 180 degrees of view for whomever is manning the gun. At least that way they save on power potentially being consumed by simply moving the dumb head, as well as resources used to stabilize a constantly moving head on a more or less stable body.
>>
I personally find it funny how Star Wars has some pretty smart concepts, typically in the CIS such as Vulture Droids or Hailfire droids, which realistically should fucking dominate warfare by spamming hordes of unfeeling uncaring droids able to bomb the everloving fuck out of the enemy. AND Vulture Droids even double as infantry! Crab Droids are also pretty great as a concept.

But then you've got shit like the AT-AT, AT-TE, spider droids, and such that don't make a fucking lick of sense.
>>
>>53669877
After the Starkiller, no machine in Star Wars seems retarded by comparison.
>>
>>53687187
Yeah, that's kind of a fair point.
>>
>>53683656
Given that it uses laser weapons exclusively and Warlord Titans have void shields out the wazoo, plus going on size relative to humans, too fucking many. And that's assuming the Titan isn't fighting back, which it most likely would be.
>>
>>53670904
>deployed as weapons of terror
There's your answer.
Shit's a psych-out.
>>
>>53673593
How did I never see this before?
>>
>>53670370
The AAT is one of the few vehicles that make sense in a tactical standpoint.
>>
File: matrix_downhill.jpg (192KB, 1204x768px) Image search: [Google]
matrix_downhill.jpg
192KB, 1204x768px
At least most of them puts the armor in front of the pilot...
>>
>>53683796
And by it's ability to not get detected before it fires and get the fuck out after it fires.
>>
>>53689683
Glorified cargo lifters aren't going to have much armour to begin with, though they really should have tried bolting some on.
>>
>>53690640
If wouldn't really help at all. Once robo squid gets close, your cargo lifter is done for anyway.
>>
>>53679946
They asked for help with the specific application, not for rights to the design.
>>
>>53689393
some anon point out it's Hannibal crossing the alps or some shit
but kinda doubt it
>>
File: not even close.jpg (949KB, 4000x2500px) Image search: [Google]
not even close.jpg
949KB, 4000x2500px
>>53687187
Are you sure?
>>
File: AT-TE.jpg (395KB, 1280x844px) Image search: [Google]
AT-TE.jpg
395KB, 1280x844px
>>53670904
I always thought AT-TEs were much cooler and more sensible. I still think AT-ATs look rad but the -TE's profile is so much better and it's actually got point defense guns. This and the AAT justified the prequels' existence to me, both are fucking great designs.
>>
>>53670370
>>53689410
I did like how the TCW version moved the hull mounted blasters up to double-up with the arm-mounted ones, removed the weak point that the Naboo forces blew a hole in in TPM... Though the Imperial variant of the AAT added that weakpoint right back.
>>
>>53679385
Dubious that there are enough tread-defying obstacles to justify a Walker.

Theater Shields and repulsor jammers are good reasons to use Legs/treads/wheels, but "Broken terrain" is a hard sell to make legs better than treads.
>>
>>53691337
Even the Sun Crusher made more sense.
>>
>>53691337
Tactically speaking it's a kind of weapon that could find it's use.
It's not a giant target, not is it statonary like starkiller or slow like the deathstar, it have a nice scary WMD and it's stupidly tough.

Scientifically it's load of bullshit, but then again everything else in SW is no better.
>>
>>53691383
The only thing it needs is protection for the gunner operating the mass driver.
>>
>>53669877
Dunno, why can you hear sounds outside of the ships during space battles? Why build a superweapon capable of shattering planets when you could just glass it for a fraction of the cost? It's science-fantasy, you fool. Nobody gives a fuck.
>>
>>53691568
Yeah, I don't like the placement or the fact the main cannon is manned externally. It should just be manned on the inside and brought closer to the center of the hull, ideally on the rear section. It's how my lego one is built.

The glass cockpit would be better as just a typical tank slit too, like the AT-ATs.
>>
>>53691671
>Dunno, why can you hear sounds outside of the ships during space battles?
They explain that by one saying the sounds are faked to help pilot situate things around them in 3D.
>>
File: all terrain riveting vehicle.jpg (257KB, 1242x1211px) Image search: [Google]
all terrain riveting vehicle.jpg
257KB, 1242x1211px
>>53670904
>>
File: Atot.jpg (37KB, 450x408px) Image search: [Google]
Atot.jpg
37KB, 450x408px
> open top exposing the troopers
> slow as fuck (infantry can walk faster)
>>
>>53683140

I never understood why that was the case, but then Legend of the Galactic Heroes gave an explanation to going back to the old forms of communication that I kinda use it now for everything.

Basically, that electromagnetic interference and jamming technology has become to ludicrously advanced that you can't rely on any form of electronic communication anymore.
>>
>>53694092
That's probably the same in SW, I mean, they have sentient AIs.
>>
>>53683742
>>53683796
>>53689752
>hurr this design is so impractical it has so many glaring weaknesses
>ignoring that these things are basically gigantic late model StuGs
>armoured enough to weather return fire at the range it operates at
>main weapon can destroy opposing armour and fortifications at superior range
>can fling HE around to support the platoons of infantry often seen riding atop them into battle before disembarking to engage
They're enormous assault guns. Hoth is a perfect example of their application; raining death and ruin from 2km out while the enemy heavy weapons have to get within knife-fight ranges to be effective, at which point the AT-AT vomits out infantry. The only thing 'silly' about them is the giant legs.
>>
>>53696740
The legs are I guess to give it firing angle on its straight line laser cannons.

Missiles, shells, and Arcing plasma do work, but they may not work well under a theater shield which may just be able to lower the "Ceiling" to block mortar and howitzer trajectory stuff.

And Walkers are for use under shields primarily.
>>
>>53691383
Too bad these things were made out of paper
>>
>>53696740
Well they are suppose to fire from behind trees and hills so I guess the legs work too. Replacing the legs for wheels, now that would be retarded.
>>
>>53693890
> 4 pair of legs instead of 2 or 3
>>
>>53691677
Yeah the glass cockpit should be a metal slit with holographic displays to the pilot. Remote controlled turret would be better still.
>>
>>53691671
Base Delta Zero would be cheaper, but less shock and awe.
>>
>>53669877
Civvies with no engineering background try to play army.
>>
>>53693890
Imagine an Ork Bomma flying over an AT-OT
>>
>>53691671
It's not about the cost, it's about sending a message.

It's the difference between stabbing a guy a few times vs feeding him through a woodchipper. You've still killed a guy either way, but the ludicrous overkill of the second paints a very vivid picture for anyone considering doing something to piss you off.
>>
>>53683783
Laser weapons is being tested right now as missile defense primarily and Star Wars has lasers (visually more like plasma) on everything in the setting. Perhaps for that reason missiles are unpopular in the galaxy far, far away.
>>
>>53701703
>lasers (visually more like plasma)

They are explicitly plasma bolts, even if half the weapons are called lasers. They are charged gas particles contained inside a magnetic sheathe.
>>
>>53701753
I know but Heavy Turboplasma doesn't have a good feel to it. Besides the average moviegoer barely understands how guns work.
>>
>>53701753
Thinking about it now but doesn't that imply Stormtroopers would be incredibly deadly in 40k? Every soldier has a plasma rifle.
>>
>>53702051
Star wars blasters are more along the lines of tau plasma than Imperium plasma. Less powerful, but it won't overheat and melt your face off.
>>
>>53702051
>hits on sixes
>all succesful shots must be rerolled
>>
>>53702072
Only if the target in question is a desert mystic or moisture farmer. Or a blind monk or smuggler with a hairy friend.
>>
>>53701703
Whenever we do see missiles or bombs, they're always coated in a layer of superheated plasma or a visibly crackling electromagnetic field. So I think you might be onto something there.
>>
>>53677980
Sounds more interesting than your average Congressional hearing.
>>
>>53702051
Not all plasma or lasers are made equal, a modern laser gun is a sub-lethal thing, an Imperial las-gun is a pretty impressive piece of equipment.
>>
>>53702051
The plasma weapons used in the Warhammer setting are on a much more powerful scale to do what they do, just being plasma does not automatically make it super destructive.
Remember even plasma pistols like the Sunfury III's impart so much energy that a single shot is capable of slagging light armor vehicles and literally annihilate human targets. You don't get that from blaster fire. The heavy blaster cannons on the side of an AT-AT are more akin to what is issued by the imperium.
>>
>>53669877
>Why are Star Wars vehicles so retarded?
Basically this here >>53684372

>It's science fantasy
Star Wars, and the whole "space opera" sub-genre, is really just fantasy stories with a coat of sci-fi paint on them. They're designed on the same principles as Narnia. Holding them to the standards of hard sci-fi is both pointless and futile.

If you want proof, look no further than the tragic "expanded universe" writers, who are stuck with the dubious task of trying to retroactively justify all this nonsense. They're a sad lot.
>>
>>53702652
>an Imperial las-gun is a pretty impressive piece of equipment.
definitely better than a maglite at range (although probably worse in melee)
>>
>>53702072
Storm troopers are actually fairly accurate in EotE.
>>
How well do lasguns compare to blasters like the E11?
>>
File: 1354874171706.jpg (142KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1354874171706.jpg
142KB, 1600x1200px
>>53702051
>>53702070
>>53702661
>>53703453

It's hard to compare a lot of the 40k weapons to Star Wars weapons because Star Wars weapons are fucking magic. They make so little sense that EU authors had to make up even more nonsensical bullshit just to explain how they work. For example, blasters are the most lethal small arm in the Galaxy and there is very little in the way of logical science to back it up.

A physical bullet inflicts multiple layers of damage through penetration, fragmentation, and cavitation of the target and its tissues. A blaster bolt is a packet of superheated gas somehow contained within a magnetic field that supposedly can kill a target with nothing more than localized burns and a clean hole. It just doesn't make sense. Blasters somehow contain the penetrative qualities of an actual bullet in addition to severe localized burns. It's madness.
>>
>>53669877

The last war prior to the Clone Wars was almost a millenia ago. They had to redevelop tactics and strategy to account for new technology from almost nothing.
>>
>>53704609
It's because blaster bolts are so hot they cause tissue to boil and vaporize on contact. This is why unarmored targets like Greedo basically explode on impact, and why armor is so light and generally non-metallic, it's more of a heat-resistance thing than an impact resistance thing.

This is also why stormtrooper armor can't hold up against a hundred and fifty pounds of rocks being dropped on them from twenty feet up.
>>
File: Roger_Roger_Doing_Squats.jpg (14KB, 236x355px) Image search: [Google]
Roger_Roger_Doing_Squats.jpg
14KB, 236x355px
>>53684226
>>53684145

/k/ did some calculations on the advantages of using B1 battle droids over organic troops, and they figured out that taking the cost of a B1 into account that they could field 8 B1s for every one US Marine. Sure, they might be retards, but 8 retards can cover a lot of ground and if they're armed one guy would be in a bit of a spot to beat them all.
>>
>>53704734
It's not hard to see why the Trade Federation not only fielded them, but actively chose to use them as the backbone of a galactic army.

Honestly, between their general appearance and coloration, as well as their hive minds, their mob-mentality when it comes to combat, and their sheer numbers, they're basically the Star Wars equivalent of the Bugs.
>>
>>53704734
So just robotic Soviets then
>>
>>53704803
With the super battle droids as spetsnaz and the droidekas as... uhhh... something else significant.
>>
>>53670904
>every vehicle has to be capable of operating on its own
>there is no such thing as a support structure
Get out, dipshit.
>>
File: 1354938840552.jpg (590KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
1354938840552.jpg
590KB, 1280x800px
>>53704932
I mean, this IS Star Wars were talking about. Efficient military tactics are lost to most factions in the SW universe in general.
>>
>JUGGERNAUT
>HEILFIRE TANKS
>TRIFIGHTERS

Discuss
>>
>>53704734
Dont forget the multipurposeness of em. Pop em in tanks, ship crews, en masse policing, anything.
Acourse they're best fielded with their Super battle droid, Vukture droid and Droideka brothers.
>>
>>53669890
FPBP.
Literally why are you fucking people reading so damn hard into an escapist film about laser samurai monks in space? Are you fucking... children.
Never mind, I just answered my own question .
>>
File: 4645330-kyle+katarn.jpg (592KB, 1232x1200px) Image search: [Google]
4645330-kyle+katarn.jpg
592KB, 1232x1200px
I miss him
>>
>>53704734
B1 cost: 3000 credits
B2 cost: 5000 credits
Droideka cost: 21000 credits
Magmaguard cost: 19000 credits
Clone trooper cost: 168000 credits
>>
File: images (7).jpg (33KB, 338x435px) Image search: [Google]
images (7).jpg
33KB, 338x435px
>>53669877
No more retarded than real life technology. Humans are just a retarded species, period
>>
>>53691337
Starkiller is more stupid. Sun Crusher artificially starts a supernova. Which is bullshit, but less bullshit than draining a literal star for power and then blowing up multiple planets at once.
>>
>>53689683
the animatrix versions were pretty cool, and I believe the ones that came first

I guess they weren't ripping off aliens hard enough or something
>>
File: Agreatjedi.png (218KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
Agreatjedi.png
218KB, 500x250px
I don't miss him
>>
>>53708370
>Walkers are the Star-wars-verse Segways
>Sheev thought those things were totally wizard and ordered a billion of them
>Sometimes rides around with one under his big, billowy robes so people think he's gliding
>>
>>53708370

Slap some Roman iconography on those suckers and play out some chariot gladiator battles.
>>
>>53702206
Any shot by a Stormtrooper will automatically miss a character model.
>>
>>53693890
they should have named it AT-OK
>>
>>53679327
Fug it really is an elephant.
>>
>>53704734
>>53707705
Do they make 28mm droids? I sort of want to make a droid/conscript army now.
>>
>>53694092
That would explain the advanced yet "dumb" technology.

Like unguided/pre-programmed missiles, manned turrets/cannons, dog fighters, lack of drones (or need for self-processing droids) and analog computers/switchboards.
>>
File: 1496512907186.jpg (90KB, 429x600px) Image search: [Google]
1496512907186.jpg
90KB, 429x600px
>>53709138
>>
>>53669877
because they were imagined by a hack.
>>
You'd think people would realize walkers are a stupid idea after seeing what IEDs do in current conflicts. those legs are gonna be gonzo after like 2 patrols.
>>
>>53716542
shit now i wan't to put chariot scythes on a segway and ride it through an antifa protest.
>>
>>53716542
>sunglasses + roman uniform
You can't get any cooler than that.
>>
File: IMG_0279.jpg (179KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0279.jpg
179KB, 1024x768px
Best vehicle coming through
>>
>>53705354
>JUGGERNAUT
It's stupid. Wheels are generally worse than tracks and it's a colossal target. Mobile HQs can be done better. A single bomber strafe and it's done for.
>HAILFIRE TANKS
A literal WMOD in a time where mobility warfare seems to be a joke. Convince me how they're bad. Its rocket barrages are shown to tear both armoured and soft targets apart, they're quite mobile and are equipped with a blaster too for backup and harassing.
>TRIFIGHTERS
Comparably large silhouette for a fighter, but the lore implies that it's maneuverable as fuck, equipped with high-capacity AI that easily surpasses Clone pilots and can even give a Jedi a hard time. Armament is concentrated in a small area with its main weapon in the nose, so it can land focused blasts almost every time it gets guns on targets. Underwing Buzz Droid missile pods are deadly and don't matter in space where drag is non-existant. No shields is its main downside, especially when its implied that WWII-style large-caliber Flak cannons exist as point-defense guns on capital ships.
Also, it's a droid, it's ultimately expendable and has no emotions such as fear or thrill.
>>
File: H5G_-_M820_Scorpion.png (1MB, 1520x1020px) Image search: [Google]
H5G_-_M820_Scorpion.png
1MB, 1520x1020px
>>53670309
?

ok, maybe a little, but still a work of genius compared to star wars tanks
>>
File: scorpion[1].jpg (340KB, 1075x789px) Image search: [Google]
scorpion[1].jpg
340KB, 1075x789px
>>53670309
Any halo vehicle.
>>
File: TX-225_Occupier.png (1MB, 1600x720px) Image search: [Google]
TX-225_Occupier.png
1MB, 1600x720px
>>53669877

Here's your practical vehicle, man.
>>
File: Munificentcrosssection.jpg (26KB, 600x233px) Image search: [Google]
Munificentcrosssection.jpg
26KB, 600x233px
Let's talk about spaceships. Let's begin with the Munificient-Class. What do you think of it? What about yhe rest of CIS fleet?
>>
>>53718007
>Under armed af
>>
>>53717910
>>53717964

>Open Cockpit
>Made out of titanium but heavier than the Abrams with a worse gun and worse protection
>Pointless partitioning of tracks that only serve to increase ground pressure
>OPEN FUCKING COCKPIT IN A VEHICLE SUPPOSED TO FUNCTION AS ARMOR

I'd say the needlesly high turret is also a liability from a personal opinion, but that didn't stop the Russians from making the Armata. The main problem with the Scorpion is that it was alegedly designed to be an air-droppable light tank but ends up being heavier than the tank it was allegedly supposed to replace while still sacrificing protection and firepower, leading to the question as to why it replaced that tank in the first place?
>>
>>53718087
the cockpit is literally closed my man.
>>
>>53718087
The open cockpit is only so players could snipe the driver. In Halo Wars, the cockpit is closed.
>>
>>53718087
>Thinking Titanium-A is regular Titanium

Senpai, do you think something the size of the size of the POA would survive crashing on the Halo without crumbling like a tinfoil sheet?

UNSC uses some magical Titanium metal
>>
>>53717964
So light, a rookie drop-trooper can flip it over.
>>
File: 1484710167098.jpg (94KB, 867x517px) Image search: [Google]
1484710167098.jpg
94KB, 867x517px
>>53718043
It's a rule of cool design, I personally like it, but its weaknesses are obvious. Exposed bridge, weak midsection (the section where the "wings" are mounted), armament with heavy focus on the frontal arc, the twin turbolaser is a huge weakspot too, I guess. It needs to get above enemy vessels to bring the array of guns mounted below the pincer-esque front to bear, which creates a huge silhouette. The Clone Wars cartoon makes this attack pattern quite dangerous though, as seen in this sky battle episode. I think It would be great for orbital support, using the firepower to level key positions or destroy orbital positions like wharfs and satellites. Pretty much all CIS capital ship designs are fairly stupid, rule of cool designs. Pic related is a really neat-looking mulit-role/dreadnought ship though, easily one of my favourite SW ships.
>>
>>53691838
Also explosions still create expanding gasses. When the shockwaves of those gasses reach the hull of your ship, it will make vibrations, which will make sounds inside your ship.
>>
>>53702652
No shit. A lasgun might be puny in the 40k universe compared to massive bolters and shit, but compared to modern firearms it's a beast. Relatively short range because of laser dispersion, but can be made longer range. But has probably the power of a .50 BMG. Talks about how it makes heads explode, carves fist sized holes straight through people, burns through most armor short of power armor (lasgun would eviscerate modern ballistic vests). Blows off limbs. Has lots of ammo and is easy to recharge, basically has a battery that's better than anything today in the world. Vehicles in 40k are armored with plasteel and adamantium and other made up super materials. A lasgun would probably punch through even lightly armored modern vehicles.
>>
>>53702701
That redlettermedia video where they read through the wookiepedia page about Vader's armor had me laughing like a madman. It's so retarded
>>
>>53704803
>Muh Asiatic hordes

Just stop.
>>
>>53717266
Rip-off of a thunderhawk gunship. Stupid Lucas.
>>
>>53718655

I don't know, Grottanks are able to usually whether quite a few lasgun bolts and they're armored like a Renault FT at best. Lasgun probably doesn't do so well against metal armor, which is why they have plasma weaopns for the task.
>>
>>53718730
I dunno if I'd bother comparing to ork stuff.their shit literally runs on dreams and wishes.

But idk. I mean, even guard wear armor made of fancy future materials. Presumably modern Kevlar and steel would get rekt. Maybe a tank with reactive armor and shit would be fine, but I struggle to think that something like an LAV, Bradley, BMP, or BTR will be able to resist much lasgun fire. They can barely resist modern .50 BMG or 12.7mm.
>>
for interest
>>
>>53720681
But anon, I don't want to pay interest.
>>
File: fix.jpg (55KB, 867x517px) Image search: [Google]
fix.jpg
55KB, 867x517px
>>53718453
If it wasn't for that damn observation deck and forward bridge...I don't even mind the supporting fin or ram prow, just put all the big glass enclosures at that one spot where the forward and aft halves meet and it would be awesome! maybe even tack on some stubby wings to the aft hull on those unarmored bulges I assume are hangar doors...
>>
File: MagnaGuard.jpg (63KB, 944x896px) Image search: [Google]
MagnaGuard.jpg
63KB, 944x896px
>>53707705
>Droideka cost: 21000 credits

>Magmaguard cost: 19000 credits

Hold on. Why are the Magnaguard cheaper than Droidekas? I thought they were meant to be extremely expensive bodyguards with capability to learn from experience and all.
>>
>>53723846
The Droideka comes with a large dick.
>>
>>53670904
I like to think the design committee behind this was like something out of Pentagon Wars.
>>
>>53688410
This.
See: the Tarkin Doctrine.
>>
>>53669877
They skipped inventing the wheel. Seriously, try to find ONE fucking wheel in all of Star Wars. It's like a game of Civilization where you skip the early tech to get to nuclear bombs ASAP, and then forget to go back to it before going to space.
>>
>>53724844
But anon there are wheeled vehicle everywhere
>>
>>53724844
Anon what the fuck, wheels appear in every SW movie in some form or another.
>>
>>53724977
I don't recall a single wheeled vehicle in any of them. They are all either hover vehicles, or have legs. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I honestly can't recall one.
>>53724984
>some form or another
I'm talking about in the form of locomotion. Even the droids don't show their wheels, which for all we know could be spherical bearings instead (like how BB-8's body is).

If my memory is seriously that bad, then please, point out a single wheeled vehicle.
>>
>>53725032
The sandcrawlers count. Yeah, they had tank treads, but treads are moved by wheels. Or would those count as gears?

...hmm...
>>
>>53725032
RotS has giant tanks with wheels.
Hailfire droids have huge wheels.
You can't miss those.
>>
>>53725032
What about that thing Obi-Wan was riding around the time he fought Grievous in Ep 3? That thing was nothing BUT one giant wheel!
>>
>>53722863
get a load of this goyim
>>
File: 1469340957803.jpg (175KB, 1330x1158px) Image search: [Google]
1469340957803.jpg
175KB, 1330x1158px
>>53723801
Battlefront 2 even has the bridge where your arrows are pointing.
I agree on the observation deck/comms tower on the rear, it's ugly.
Pic related is a quick Photoshop where I cut the stern tower and the forward bridge away, the stump looks quite neat on the second ship, I think, so I left it in.
And yes, these are hangar doors.
>>
>>53723846
Because there's no match for droidekas
>>
>>53723846
> The droideka was designed by the carnivorous Colicoids of Colla IV, who were displeased by the limitations of Baktoid Combat Automata's basic B1 battle droids, and chiefly manufactured on their homeworld. The Trade Federation traded rare meats to the Colicoids as a way to ease bargaining with the ravenous insectoids, and were able to enjoy special rates on these normally very costly droids.
>>
>>53725032
> What is a juggernaut
>>
>>53725032
There's a vehicle that's just a giant wheel.
>>
File: 1480490135444.jpg (37KB, 562x600px) Image search: [Google]
1480490135444.jpg
37KB, 562x600px
Star Wars has always been a blend of old and new concepts and that keeps the fun factor of the series. For OP's pic, while hey didn't do much in the movies, in the Clone Wars series they are shown to be very fast and used in small groups to cavalry charge enemies. It may not be the most tactically sound thing but it's cool.
The AT-AT is a cross between an elephant and a heavy tank. In it's opening scene it's shown to be a nigh unstoppable death machine and forces the rebels to use their brains and try something different instead of blasting them with ineffective weapons. A perfect showcase for how fear inspiring brute force is the empire's favorite tactic.
One of my favorites is from Revenge of the Sith when that republic ship closes in and broadsides Grievious's ship. 18th century tactics in a space battle.
Really just don't let your autism ruin it for you. I'm sure most of the designers know how tactically dumb their vehicles are but they work in the fantasy setting for their fantasy niche.
>>
>>53726917
Underrated post
>>
>>53690763
>>53708480
>>53689683
>>53690640
yeah in the movie they cut through the armor like its butter
They took off the armor in light of that fact.
And if you look at the armored vs the unarmored one
the armored one only can aim at whats at front and whats some degrees above the soldier.
While the unarmored ones fired top/front/side/back
So in light of the armor doing jack shit and making you have a smaller killzone. They were like Better to kill what ever is trying to kill you then to let it get close
>>
>>53717266

Always reminded me of a Hind, which is without a doubt my favorite piece of Soviet era kit.
>>
File: AT-TE_TCW.jpg (101KB, 690x370px) Image search: [Google]
AT-TE_TCW.jpg
101KB, 690x370px
>>53670904
>Lower Profile
>Can fire in all directions
>Heavy cannon on top with 360 degree aiming

All given up for that giant deathtrap

How is this not 100x better?
>>
>>53718087
>"muh Abrams"
>>
>>53729088
George Lucas said the Hind was his main inspiration for the LAAT gunship.
>>
>>53718087
IIRC the Scorpion was designed to be a defensive tank and the turret was so high becuase it was supposed to be hull down most of the time.
>>
File: sad yooda.gif (962KB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
sad yooda.gif
962KB, 500x200px
>>53670183
I don't like to hear the truth.
>>
>>53730163
Everything human in Halo looks plausible but really isn't. It's pretty much on par with Warhammer, as far as realism goes.
>>
>>53730137
I'd say it's only about 50x better, the gunner is completely exposed.
>>
>>53726917
I disagree.
>>
File: delta squad.jpg (46KB, 928x424px) Image search: [Google]
delta squad.jpg
46KB, 928x424px
>>53726917
forgot pic.
>>
>>53718043
Banking Clan Frigates were always a favorite of mine, but they were designed as a secure method of communication instead of the holonet. As a frontline warship it has many issues.
>>
>>53730353
It's literally a flying cannon.
>>
>>53717964
>Makes sense in the real world
>Only a 90mm cannon
>Big ass turret that can be blown off with one shot of a m1a2 Abrams tank
>>
>>53730487
I'd rather bitch about glass cockpit and retarded 4 treads layout.
>>
>>53730390
A fixed twin heavy turbolaser is all it really has for offense, the other batteries are really low strength.
>>
>>53730308
Remember that model in AotC that had no shields? That made no sense since the shields most droidekas have is it's only defense for fragile components. In either case I build more B2s over anything else for their durability.
>>
>>53730645
What makes no sense is that the shield deactivates while in motion and reactivates just before it's ready to fire, which is a pretty huge window of opportunity to destroy it. Do the shields just eat up that much power that it can't have them permanently on? Also it's painfully slow turning radius makes flanking it pretty viable to boot.
>>
>>53730304

The gunner AND the driver. I doubt that giant glass cockpit is going to stop much.
>>
>>53669877
Because they're all forever married to whatever they could make work in the first 3 films. Everything, in the whole wide galaxy, has to be based on, inspired by, or related to the limited design space of the original trilogy. "What if we shrunk the chicken Walker to be one person sitting in it?" Brilliant, ship it. Wow, this job is easy.
>>
>>53691671
>Dunno, why can you hear sounds outside of the ships during space battles?
Because the sensors generate audio output since that's what humans are good at intuitively responding to.

>Why build a superweapon capable of shattering planets when you could just glass it for a fraction of the cost?
It's a psychological weapon, to show off their power. It wasn't intended to be cost-efficient - Base Delta Zero was already an established practice, so the Death Star wasn't to give them the ability to destroy a planet, just to show that they did indeed have the power to do so with a single shot.
>>
>>53693890
It was based on open-topped APCs that were in use during WWII. And yeah it does seem silly, since the cost savings from leaving off the top would probably be minimal, but still the reasoning is that plunging fire isn't a major concern - they'd only have to worry about artillery (which might be powerful enough to get through top armor anyways) and aircraft (which are presumably chased off by Republic fighters).
>>
>>53731103

I will forgive any and all SW related design fuckery for all time because of the glory that is the Imperial class Star Destroyer
>>
File: 2017-NZM-Star-Destroyer.jpg (155KB, 2000x807px) Image search: [Google]
2017-NZM-Star-Destroyer.jpg
155KB, 2000x807px
>>53731457
>>
>>53669890
This.
>>
File: 1497120027947.jpg (82KB, 928x424px) Image search: [Google]
1497120027947.jpg
82KB, 928x424px
>>53730329
fixed.
>>
>>53725032

There were wheeled vehicles in the wookie battle in RotS.
>>
>>53731694
harsh
>>
File: 1342232266974.jpg (25KB, 332x348px) Image search: [Google]
1342232266974.jpg
25KB, 332x348px
How come the republic and the rebels never had proper bombers?
>>
>>53723846

I have to assume the shield generator and the bigger power systems to support it probably inflate the Droideka's cost
>>
>>53730163
Abrams are really pretty good tanks though.
>>
>>53731967
What do you even think a 'proper' bomber is in a Star Wars context?
>>
>>53731967
What do you think a Y-wing is?
>>
>>53731967
>>53732177
>>53732202

Springboarding off of this, I don't understand how the Y-Wing's munitions actually work. In the Clone Wars show they're like torpedoes but in games and other media they fall like bombs even in zero gravity environments.

>Space Opera, not science fiction
Yeah whatever
>>
>>53732177
Something like the TIE Bomber

>>53732202
Aren't Y-wings fighter bombers?
>>
>>53732247
Different payloads. Y-wing can be anything from a heavy fighter to a bomber.
>>
>>53732293
Sure, but i feel like that doesn't explain the falling bombs in zero-g.
>>
File: 1434961356985.jpg (755KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1434961356985.jpg
755KB, 1600x1200px
The Y-wing is some kind of heavy strike fighter.

Which is what the rebels need, something that can hyperspace to a target, keep up with X-wings and drop a big load of munitions on something.

It can defend itself better than a TIE bomber too which is useful when you do not have whole squadrons of TIE's to casually throw around.
>>
>>53732336
They're actually propelled or nobody cared about realism. Pick one.
>>
>>53730940
Pretty sure that in SW they have transparent materials with strength comparable to steel, so i practice the cockpit probably isn't a big weak point.
>>
>>53732336
Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that a planet's gravity well was right fucking there, and powered spaceflight is not necessarily imparting proper orbital velocities onto munitions.

Unless there's an instance of falling bombs in deep space where you don't have planetary gravity wells to point at, it's been a while since I watched any of the movies.
>>
File: 1452319395365.jpg (219KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1452319395365.jpg
219KB, 667x1000px
>>53732280
For the way the rebels operate its not worth trading shields for raw munitions capacity.
>>
>>53732725
Yeah but the "steel" of their ships and vehicles is 400 times better than our old regular steel, and their weapons can damage it.
>>
>>53723932
>So we have a troop transport that needs a ladder to get in and out of, an artillery platform that's direct-fire only, and a walker that can can be tipped over like a bantha, but it has enough firepower to level Coruscant.
>Let's build it!
>>
My headcanon is that the rebel base on Hoth was on a particularly firm part of an ice plate similar to those of Antartica. The slow rate of AT-AT walking and lack of artillery was due to fears that they would crack the thinner parts of the plate around the base and so lose the ability to advance at all.
>>
>>53730487
>Big ass turret that can be blown off with one shot of a m1a2 Abrams tank
To be fair, that's most tank turrets ever.
>>
>>53723846
Shield generators are expensive. And Magmaguard seem crippled by the fact they need a leader to train them.
>>
>>53730741
Maybe the shield generator needs to be in the upright position to operate correctly? Point is the droideka has either has large periods of vulnerability or is slower than a turtle.
>>
>>53733851
I always assumed it had to do with the shield interfering with the rolling motion. Either that, or it does have these little flaps that open when it deploys, maybe they're like the S-foils on fighters, or the TIE fighter solar wings, needed to disperse the waste heat produced by the shield generator.
>>
>>53731967
I think we saw some bomber TIE fighters in Empire. They bombarded the asteroid the Millennium Falcon was hiding inside.
>>
>>53733584
General Grievous demanded they be trained as opposed to preprogrammed combat protocols, they could be though if you don't mind less intelligent droids.
>>
>>53734113
yes but those were with the empire, I'm asking about the republic and the rebels
>>
>>53704734
The calculations get even better when you realize a Squad of US Marines is just 12 retards.
>>
File: Arc170_pair.jpg (68KB, 775x399px) Image search: [Google]
Arc170_pair.jpg
68KB, 775x399px
>>53738838
Didn't the ARC-170's have bombs? And I think the V-Wings were also Republic Bombers, though that might just be Battlefront using them as a stand-in.

As for Rebels, Y-wings.
>>
>>53716633
An MRAP doesn't survive an IED but the crew does, same idea, the hull is well above the explosion.
>>
>>53691337
The description of the Sun Crusher reads like one of those ORIGINAL CHARACTER DONUT STEEL profiles.
>>
>>53731967
In EU there's the K-wing, which is basically a B-17 in space.
>>
>>53718696
>the Soviet Union didn't throw as many Christian troops as it could against Germany and other enemies until they ran out of bullets to shoot them with
>because i say so
>this didn't happen
Get out, fuckface. We know history here.
>>
>>53718007
>having side guns instead of a turret
>practical
>>
>>53740451
>We know history here.

You clearly don't.

https://warontherocks.com/2016/07/was-the-russian-military-a-steamroller-from-world-war-ii-to-today/
>>
File: 5289912770_601e20ac6e_o.png (1MB, 1046x785px) Image search: [Google]
5289912770_601e20ac6e_o.png
1MB, 1046x785px
>>53670904
>the empire used these when turbo tanks exist

they deserved to lose
>>
So, if we had to go practical: what vehicles/starships/soldiers would we go with?

Personally, Star Destroyers without towers and fleets of droid-brained A-wings supporting droid armies based on the HK or IG lines deployed from Acclamators and LAATs seems reasonable in-universe...
>>
>>53725032
R2D2 has wheels.
>>
>>53741105
They'd get stuck in the deep snow, though.
>>
>>53718007
>Sponsons
Maybe for trench warfare and nothing else. Just put the turrets on the top and give them vertical traverse and you actually have a vehicle that halfway makes sense.
>>53718043
Obviously meant to fly in formations with lots of fighter support to make up for it's deficiencies. It's only heavy weapon is in a fixed forward mount, and it's reactors, engines, and guts are protected by heavy armor plates. The bridge and belly are completely exposed though, thus the necessity of fighter support. Clone Wars cartoon perfectly points out these weaknesses with Munificents being torn apart by fighters or attacks that strike it in the belly.
>>53730137
Still has legs instead of repulsorlifts, and I don't buy that bullshit about it being too heavy to be floated by repulsors, if gargantuan capital ships can fly in atmosphere and not drop like stones then there's absolutely no reason why armored vehicles shouldn't all be heavily armored landspeeders with guns.
>>
File: turbo tank.jpg (68KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
turbo tank.jpg
68KB, 1280x720px
>>53741105
I did appreciate a modified version showing up in Rogue One, if only for a few seconds.
>>
File: droid carrier.jpg (75KB, 752x528px) Image search: [Google]
droid carrier.jpg
75KB, 752x528px
>>53741105

Well of course the empire didn't use turbo tanks, Empire came out 25 years before Revenge of the Sith introduced those, its not like anyone knew they existed before then. You ask someone in like 1992:

>Hay why didn't the empire use those giant tanks that show up in one scene on Kashyyyk when they attack the rebels on Hoth, they seem like they're be more effective than fucking war elephant ripoffs?

or asking someone in the same year

>Since we know that the battle droids all use hover vehicles why didn't the empire just build something like pic related with a blaster proof shield around it like the ones those rolly droids had, they could make them look like landing craft from WWII and cover them with automated droid brain controlled guns, so they can suppress like a dozen different hard points at once, so you only need like a driver and maybe the company/platoon commander for the unit getting vomited out

You're gonna get some strange looks there ol' buddy ol' friend.
>>
So, is it ever stated why we only ever see powerful personal shields on Droideka and nowhere else, I seem to recall getting told years ago that its because the radiation is dangerous to humans, but thats never stated in the movies and chances are that whatever that's from isn't cannon anymore. I image storm trooper armour provides a modicum of radiation resistance, since we see them walking around outside the deathstar in A new Hope, but maybe they're just really expensive or something.

But still assuming the Empire wanted to have a human dominant military, which is why they abandoned Droid tech and self aware robots all together because of the fear that they might rebel, why didn't they build a bunch of pic related as powered suits with proper radiation shielding with shield generators that dudes could wear. Sure they're probably be cumbersome, but they'd probably be useful at times, like say if you had to board a hostile ship through a narrow doorway into a corridor with now cover opposed by a wall of blaster fire.
>>
>>53743332
K2 isn't a combat droid, he's a strategy droid. While he can fight, it's not his primary purpose. He's also heavily reprogrammed and who knows what sorts of other modifications they did on him.

Shield generators are really only on the droidekas because they're supposedly really heavy and unwieldy, IIRC. The droidekas can get away with it because they've got more than two legs to steady them.
>>
>>53705804
Who doesn't miss Katarn? He's a fucking amazing character.
>>
>>53743332
>which is why they abandoned Droid tech and self aware robots all together
They abandoned combat droids, but there are still plenty of self aware droids in their employ. Are are protocol droids all over the Imperial ships in the original trilogy and they're all self aware.
>>
>>53743332

Honestly I'd say the best reason why the shields weren't used anymore was due to cost and the fact that they would have to work with a species they conquered at the end of the Clone Wars. Especially if they weren't human based. Expense is probably more likely though, because arming a single soldier is expensive enough, and any major vehicle would be expensive due to size.
>>
>>53704734
If you ever want to see the real logistic advantage of droids over humans, don't just consider the advantage of fielding them. Consider the logistics of having them in reserve for, say, 10 years:

Droids: Deactivated, in storage
Humans: Still alive and kicking, need food, need pay, need stationing, need time off, training to keep sharp, hundred other things

Droids: Sit there the whole time, none of them leave
Humans: Numbers of them leave because their time's up, others need to replace them who all need training

Droids: Can be retrofitted with later technology, given software updates a few months before use
Humans: Generally can't be retrofitted, training might take weeks

Droids: Activating is just moving tons of inactive equipment to where they need to be and turning them all on shortly before they're needed on trucks, then maybe loading them on to APC's
Humans: Activating them is a matter of trying to get a whole bunch of people and their equipment moved out, getting enough supplies to keep people moving for the trip, etc.

All this AND they come cheaper? Even B1 droids would be an absolute godsend to logistics. You'd be able to field exponentially more droids than humans. And they don't have an average effective service life of a few years, you could keep refurbishing them and updating them for potentially decades. You could just keep stockpiling them for ten years and you'd have more soldiers than a contemporary human army could ever dream of fielding.
>>
>>53743570
I like the games, they are good games, but let's be honest they are pretty empty story wise and superficial character wise.
Katarn isn't a good character.
>>
File: no fun allowed.png (765KB, 801x837px) Image search: [Google]
no fun allowed.png
765KB, 801x837px
>>53670189
Wasn't that prohibited?
>>
>>53683882
Well, yeah man that's the point. Of course they're better funded when they're being funded by the government they're ostensibly fighting against. Considering the Rebellion is an actual rebellion they don't get the sweet black budget dosh.
>>
>>53744018
I'm pretty sure anyone who's worked with any sort of fleet logistics will disagree with a number of your points. Machines cannot just sit around without maintenance and you can't just keep repairing them and sending them out into the field. The true advantages of droid soldiers, that you correctly identified, are the vastly greater organizational efficiency and the cheaper initial investment (assuming that is actually true, which is kind of hard to believe). If you spend any amount of time or money refitting and repairing these droids then you've completely ruined both of those advantages.

Bipedal locomotion, situational awareness, and the barest level of cogitation are wildly more advanced than current top of the line military hardware. And current top of the line military hardware is constantly being serviced even when not in use and constantly leaks oil when in use. You'd need several orders of magnitude more advanced computation and fabrication (which it does appear Star Wars has) to even begin to consider the conceit.
>>
>>53743570
He was a fucking Mary Sue that started all this "the Dark Side is just another thing to use" instead of "Dark Side makes your skin go FUBAR"
He was also the greatest pilot, the greatest shooter and the greatest womanizer.
>>
>>53744383
I know that it's not really completely accurate to say that, but I'm talking about them in comparison to human soldiers. You're going to need to run inspections, diagnostics, and the like on them on a regular basis, but you don't have to keep feeding them and working them the whole time. Assuming you have to give them all maintenance twice a year while they're sitting stockpiled and then go through a thorough inspection and prep before use, that's still way less logistics on eight droids than one human.

This isn't even getting into the fact that droids in star wars are clearly advanced enough to be running diagnostics on other droids and that power systems are so advanced that energy costs are practically insignificant.
>>
>>53670904
>Can be fucked with a fucking concealed WOLF PIT, you need a squad of dudes with shovels and you can threaten this.
> High profile, it is easy to spot. Therefore defender can prepare for troops that AT-AT is transporting.
>Driver is in a front compartment, not inside the main structure. Front of the vehicle is the part mostly under fire.
>This troop transport can fire only to the front, there is no cover from the sides or back for troops exiting.
>Drop is slow due to the distance to the ground
> Putting wounded soldiers in this thing would be a fucking mess, terrible evac vehicle.
>It is slow as fuck as troop transport
> Turning is sloooooow, therefore back of the vehicle is really vulnerable.
>Can't provide cover to your troops. Because legs.
>Weak points in joints and in the neck.
>you can approach from the back land on a top with a flying vehicle, you can plant a biggest boom-charge you have, and you can run unobstructed.

It is so bad that it hurts. Especially considering cult around that thing. You like it as a kid and then when you grow up you can see the engineering nightmare that it is.
>>
>>53717266
I wanted the Lego model of this thing so badly but it was just so expensive.
>>
>>53746600

I'll agree with a lot of your points but

> Putting wounded soldiers in this thing would be a fucking mess, terrible evac vehicle.

At what point has the Empire ever shown the slightest bit of concern for the life of stormtroopers. I'm pretty sure they probably just leave the wounded where they fell.
>>
>>53746646
As elite troops they are expensive so I guess there must be some concern in that matter. Also i was thinking through a common sense perspective not through empire perspective.
>>
>>53746778
Stormtroopers aren't really the elite. They're largest portion of the Imperial Army, though there are regular Army troopers as well.
>>
>>53747033
I never get into EU that much but I assumed that Stormtroopers are elite because there was imperial army and something. If they aren't than it is understandable that empire don't care. Still though, it would be very hard task to extract VIP from a hotzone with AT-AT and extracting hostages, prisoners, officers or such should be possible with APC.
>>
>>53747124
I mean, they're highly trained, but they're not the equivalent of any SpecForce or anything. They're an army of untold numbers, and trained to the point where they exchange their names for numbers.
>>
>>53743213
I'm not nitpicking Empire Strikes Back, I'm saying that using walkers when you have the same thing but on wheels is dumb.
Thread posts: 277
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.