[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How often did you use gods' whims\manipulations as a plot device?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 7Z_DNBgpbWU.jpg (326KB, 1280x724px) Image search: [Google]
7Z_DNBgpbWU.jpg
326KB, 1280x724px
How often did you use gods' whims\manipulations as a plot device?
>>
File: 2745ff862479007be7935ab8dee.jpg (105KB, 600x986px) Image search: [Google]
2745ff862479007be7935ab8dee.jpg
105KB, 600x986px
I want to build a system analogous to Steven Erikson's book series where, basically, there are primeval and latter gods and some antagonism going on. And the logical base would partly be that some domains are going obsolete (like the hunter-gatherer society is mostly long-gone by now, so no one reveres the totemism gods in the sense they did millennia ago).

My main concern with all this is that the players might get unsettled with the scale. It's hard to balance apart from handing out abstract divine power points that change owners.

The idea to launch some action in motion so far has been of latest empire ruler meddling with the primal power of creation (he had the corresponding artifact in his hands) and failing at it which resulted in a magical cataclysm (as for Cyre in Eberron). And, in particular, this has freed up some divine power points to be grasped by the dead and dying gods. So this basically gives me carte blanche to grant spells \ cleric levels to certain antagonists. Or maybe the de-powered gods are themselves antagonists, weakened and mortal yet with experience and 10+ class levels (5ed).

That's the outline, so far. What's your take?
>>
File: 1458043311090.jpg (146KB, 757x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1458043311090.jpg
146KB, 757x1200px
>>53668083
I make a point of going out of my way to disallow direct intervention by gods, because in my eyes it's kind of a snub to the players, to pretend like anything they can do actually matters when literal gods are running the universe.

I generally tend to say some divine edict or barrier or some other plot-convenient thing keeps gods from interacting in the affairs of this realm directly, and that they can only do so through their followers (classes like clerics and paladins).
>>
>>53668083

I tried, but it doesn't work. My setting had the primary conceit that the Gods decide what the destiny of Man will be, and people are sort of stuck in their designated role.

The villain wanted to destroy the Tapestry of Fates, so everyone could make their own choices. But when he met the group, the Paladin went:

> "Wait, so you're saying - My destiny was to be who I am, and your destiny was to be a villain?"
> "Yes, but I-"

Then he just waded in and chopped the other guy to bits. He didn't even both listening to the explanation! When I asked him why he didn't hear the other guy out, he went:

> "My PC is happy with who he is. Why would he want his fate to be any different? He'd heard enough."
>>
>>53668083
the most interactive pantheon gods in my setting are actually dead.
When they died, they all set in motion some events that would interfere with the future in one way or another.

Their machinations are some of the more prominent antagonists in my campaign

The Civilization that birthed them is an upcoming antagonist
>>
>>53669404
It turned out quite poetic though. You cannot change fate, that's why the villain failed to persuade paladin (and change their fate).
>>
>>53668083

I used Gods whims two fuck your mom op.
>>
Pretty much never. If an act of the divine befell a world, it was often fallout or ripples from their actions in the Astral Plane/Sea. That, or any direct interference on their part, however small, was something that was decided and sanction by entire pantheons and took plenty of time and deliberation.

Otherwise, on my part, the whims of the gods have only ever been recognized as boons for their respective champions, usually benefiting my players more so than any NPC.
>>
The reoccurring villainess of my campaigns is a goddess of nature and curses who's an absolute cunt. So pretty much always
>>
>>53668083
It hapens regularly. In my defense, the players also use that. The world is like ancient Greece in that sacrifices for the gods may grant you boons.

A player made a powerful character with no backstory. I sit down with him and fluffed up that he gave up his memories so the gods would give him the abilities his former peasant self never had.

Dumping several tons of earth into the sea as a offer to the sea goddess? That bitch loved to see dry land becoming submerged, so they had good winds and a dolphin guard for their caravel.

They accept that antagonists may do this kind of thing as well.
>>
>>53669404
Your players are awesome and you should feel awesome that you gave them that glorious opportunity. I sincerely wish that I could high-five you and your players.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.