[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hackmaster 5E

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: back_cover.jpg (64KB, 980x238px) Image search: [Google]
back_cover.jpg
64KB, 980x238px
Anyone here tried this?
>>
>>53663950
Yes
>>
>>53663950
Well what do you wanna know senpai, your question isn't very fleshed out
>>
>>53664675
Never change /tg/

>>53664772
So what was your experience like?

Do you recommend it?

What did you like or didn't like about it?
>>
Is it good?

What do you like/dislike?

How it compares to 5e, PF and Fantasycraft?

Any significant changes from older editions?

Is the art of the book good?

Favorite changes from older editions?

Is the book easy to read?
>>
>>53663950
Yeah, my GM's out to kill me in it, he's a cunt.
Got fuckin' rekt by some nightmare shit. Some hot elf chick in my party won't put out. Some fat guy keeps getting drunk and starting fights. Some beta fuck with a bow keeps getting cucked. And the white knight freaks anytime you spit in the wrong direction.

But uh... It's fun? Yeah, it is. tfw forever over-encumbered because shit weighs a ton tho.
The fighting is weird because of the countdown system, which still pisses me off because I can only swing my sword every 11 goddamn seconds. However I really like it because I feel like more things can go down in it rather than turn based systems. Like fighting once you get used to this system is more fluid when you get used to it, you can do more with team members in a semi tactical way, be more involved, lots more fun.

And uh, I'm getting better, starting to remember the rules about fighting a bit more, like give ground, and fight defensively, all that good stuff that keeps me alive so I don't run out of magic cheese your roll honor points and get splattered by tree wielding horrors.

This is like, the third rpg I've ever played ever, with some people over roll20.
>>
>>53664823
>Is the book easy to read?
There's a comic that comes with it that actually explains all the rules to fighting and other things.
It's okay. It's more entertaining sometimes than just reading the handbook, but the handbook itself isn't at all bad.
>>
>>53664823
I think it's pretty good yeah.

I like the mage and cleric systems the most, lots of diversity for clerics and the entire system of magic for mages is just neat. Dislike? I'm not a fan of the initiative system really. The weapon speeds can be a bit annoying but it smooths out.

I don't know, I haven't played any of those.

Haven't played the older versions.

Yeah it varies from alright to good. There's a nice charm to it all, and that ties into its readability. It's written from a certain character's point of view and they can be a little smarmy about shit. I like it.
>>
>>53664823
Progression is much much slower than 5e and PF. HP gain is slow as is power in general. Things scale much more realistically and it's better suited to less overtly fantastical campaigns.

A good way to compare it is that if 5e and PF are Bioware RPGs, Hackmaster is more like Dark Souls or The Witcher.
>>
>>53664936
Is there a link to this?
>>
some good bits, speed for weapons can get broken fairly easily.
>>
>>53666332
>speed for weapons can get broken fairly easily.

How so?
>>
The production values of the books are quite good. I never get to play it but I keep them for that if nothing else.
>>
>>53666252
http://www.kenzerco.com/hackmaster/downloads/HMb_KODT_Combat_Example.pdf

http://www.kenzerco.com/hackmaster/downloads/HMPHB_illustrated_example.pdf
>>
>>53666392
Especially the Hacklopedia of the Beasts. That is a wonderfully made book, with good art and good fluff, even if you don't play Hackmaster.
>>
>>53667711
Looks straightforward. Anyone have the pdfs?
>>
>>53669146

try PDF Share Thread and look through OP's pdf file
>>
File: lelf.jpg (89KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
lelf.jpg
89KB, 800x534px
>Autistic neckbeards actually want to play a system meant to be a parody of clunky oldschool DnD
>>
>>53669977

5th edition isn't a parody. They actually went with making the rpg product.
>>
>>53664823

I Play in two HM 5e campaigns, and GM one, and have for a while now.

>Is it good?
This depends tremendously on your definition of "good". It has pretty high production values, and a lot of time, effort and care has clearly been put into it. It's also hell to come to HM after familiarity with other RPGs, especially the stuff it's parodying/based on.
The rules themselves and a fair bit of the lore can be pretty interesting, but at the same time it can also be immensely infuriating.
However, I have enough of a case of Stockholm syndrome, developed over a long time, that I'd say it's closer to good than not good.

>What do you like/dislike?
I like: It tries it darndest to make sense of or rectify common fantasy tropes, often shutting up a lot of 'muh realism' fags and the like, the system is generally well put together, and the clerics are a fucking joy.

I dislike: The book is written by antagonistic, severely emotionally hurt GMs who advocate fucking your players over. Honor, as a system. Alignments. Starting from level 1.

>How it compares to 5e, PF and Fantasycraft?
It's much more complex and a lot less weeby/high-fantasy than those, or at the very least at lower levels, and a lot more risky and lethal. When trying to go back to the others, I did feel like they were a bit too simple.

>Any significant changes from older editions?
I haven't played any older editions of HM, but I've glanced at the books, and it's much less parodic and in-your-face about "LOOK! THIS IS DND TAKEN TO THE RIDICULOUS!"

>Is the art of the book good?
Yes, the art tends to be pretty pleasant to look at when the devs wanted it to be, and less so where they didn't want it to be (like the rules-explaining comic).

>Favorite changes from older editions?
N/A

>Is the book easy to read?
The book IS easy to read, but there are a lot of tiny things that are really confusing or easy to misunderstand and just run with, and a fair bit of stuff you can easily miss as it's in small sidebars.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.