[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm going to make a game in the form of an app. I basically

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 7.jpg (65KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
65KB, 450x450px
So I'm going to make a game in the form of an app.

I basically want friends to sit around and play pen-and-paper-like games via their smartphones.

It should be easy-to-use, heavily narrative-based, and fun for casuals as well as veterans.

Anyone have any ideas they'd like to see fleshed out?
>>
>>53656872
>heavily narrative-based
>your average smartphone user
how much reading we talkin here
>>
>>53656872
Why?
What benefit does using an app over paper and pencils have?
What's the premise of the game?
What are the game's mechanics?
How long will a game last?
Is it transient, or do things carry over from session to session?
>>
>>53656965
Well, I want to put the narrative in the player's hands—like in Dungeon World.

So hopefully not much reading, but I want to provide an escape hatch for people who are bad at storytelling.

>>53656970
>Why?
I'm not a fan of having to memorize rule books, or haul them, character sheets, bags of dice, etc. around everywhere.

>What benefit does using an app over paper and pencils have?
Above reasons + I think it'd be a nice way to get normie friends into pen-and-paper.

>What's the premise of the game?
I want it to be generic so people can pick what type of setting they want, and they'll develop the story as the game goes on.

Also kind of hoping you guys had some insight on this. I'm pretty casual.

>What are the game's mechanics?
Again, just looking for ideas at this point. I'll flesh this out more later.

>How long will a game last?
As long as people want to keep playing a campaign.

>Is it transient, or do things carry over from session to session?
Depends on the universe players create, but I'd assume it'd default to session-to-session.

Sorry if these answers are vague. I'm not trying to be lazy. I just got a hair up my ass to get to work on this today, and I want the system to be generic as fuck with an emphasis on players developing the setting/story as they go.
>>
>>53657193
Sounds to me like you have zero ideas, and want us to do your thinking for you.
>>
Auto fill benifits of gear/skills/ect.
Combat roller
Dont show the ac or to hit chance till a person tries to strike and hits for each user.
Dont show hit points
Gm edit of hit points ac/defense and attack power on the fly, this way you can nerf something mid fight if you over did the encounter .
Grid map with image import
Map display with black out and fog of war layers
Sound effects bank, that can be muted if abused.

Note pad
Rule book pdf

Are you trying to have This s run from everyone at the same table or remote from each other? If its for being at the same table it will be easier to do
>>
File: vampires-kiss.jpg (27KB, 758x429px) Image search: [Google]
vampires-kiss.jpg
27KB, 758x429px
>>53657428
>Anyone have any ideas they'd like to see fleshed out?
Correct.
>>
>>53657508
Thanks!

>Are you trying to have This s run from everyone at the same table or remote from each other? If its for being at the same table it will be easier to do
I'm thinking it CAN be remote, but it's much more fun if you are all sitting around a living room smoking some weed, drinking some cold ones...
>>
>>53656872
If you want narrative-based, don't make it a mobile app but some general online soft. Seems like some alternative to d20 system thing.
>>
>>53656872
It sounds like you've only played D&D, because the issues you raise aren't a problem with a lot of other systems.
>>
>>53656872
Sounds like the thing you want doesn't work in the medium you're using.

Cinematic narration focused story games require a significant amount of input from the players that everyone can incorporate and be reactive to, which isn't going to work any better on the app than it does just saying shit outloud and using a pencil and some tic tacs. Having to push that through an app is going to be awkward and annoying.

What you're going for sounds more like madlibs group cyoa. Look into stuff that has card draw based story prompts, rip off their stuff. The only thing the app is going to be doing is making bright colours and sounds to give people positive feedback loops.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.