[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shitty GMs General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

File: rocks.png (46KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
rocks.png
46KB, 640x640px
So My GM decided to have the BBEG capture my wizard with no save and subject me to a ritual which cut me off from all magic. I assumed this was some sort of interesting plot device where I would need to reverse this curse so I played along. Nope, he just turned me into a level 14 commoner and apparently, not even a miracle or wish can restore my powers. He then gets pissy with me because apparently I should have figured out that I needed to retrain.

Post your asshole GMs.
>>
>BBEG
*vomiting noises*
>>
>>53642336

Calling him a villain only makes you superior in your own head anon. You're still a nerdy autist like the rest of us.
>>
>>53642245
GM your own game?
>>
>>53642245
Write a level 15 wizard and bring it to the next session, then convince the rest of the party to bail on his shitty campaign. Leave town after having sex with his girlfriend, then find a new group entirely.
>>
>>53642812

I'm considering it. I'm not the only player who's unhappy with his bullshit. He likes to be "unpredictable".

Never run a campaign though and I have no idea where to start. I'm worried that I'll end up choking at the table and not know how to move forward. This guy is full of shit but at least he keeps pace.
>>
>>53642985
No game is better than bad game, since you can be having actual fun.
Bad game with nice but incompetent guy is better than bad game with asshole, since the nice guy can learn but the asshole generally won't unfuck himself. Be the nice guy, and even if you provide bad game you can unfuck yourself with experience.

On that note, premade adventures are your best damn friend. Get premades, run premades, don't be afraid to say "Shit guys, you just went clear outside the module. Gimme fifteen minutes to figure out what the fuck that changes."
>>
Just fuck his game up, posion towns people, stab royalty. Use arson on some churches.
Burn dome crops... you lost the ability to make fire and ice, you list what made you special....now well now your mad at the world.
Kill a quest giver to start.
>>
>>53642245
Kill your GM.
>>
>>53643106

Ruining everyone else's fun is not my style anon.
>>
>>53643237
Then leave and never turn back
>>
>>53643237
I really think the "Learn to be a good replacement" idea is great, but then how are you supposed to play without knowing ahead what you should definitely do?
>>
Since this is slow I'll give some more examples of this dude's autism.

Everyone's weapons and armour must be protected against rust from the earliest possible level or a rust monster will be hiding in the ceiling waiting to fall on the paladin. The rust monster will always be hiding in a way that the party rogue with ten levels in perception and darkvision will somehow be unable to see.

He once let a guy roll a drakerider cavalier in a campaign and later told him that the local king had decreed that all drakes in the kingdom must die. We were chased by the whole kingdom's army until the cavalier accepted the inevitable and lost the main draw of his character.

The one time I rolled a fire kineticist, literally everything was immune to fire.

Our only female player played a psychic and for literally no conceivable reason, she was haunted by semi erotic horrible dreams sent to her by the king in yellow that the GM described in disturbing detail. She stopped coming after that and the GM fumed about flaky players.

There's a lot more of less memorable stuff but this guy is cancer.
>>
>>53643474

He also made a paladin fall once for laughing.
>>
>>53643474
He sounds like an insufferable cunt, I don't know why do you keep on playing, it doesn't even sound fun.
>>
>>53643474
Why are you in this retard's group bro

He sounds like a spiteful asshole who is trying to make everyone lose
>>
>>53642245
>BBEG

Ugh.
>>
Long story short, my shit GM had an unstoppable, unskippable cutscene where his DMPC was talking and there was nothing we could do to stop, halt, or escape this conversation. The conversation was all one sided on his end and two players got up for smoke breaks and didn't return. This whole episode was 4 hours long of him talking and even today I don't think he understands how much no one appreciated that session.
>>
>>53644162
>Ugh.

Ugh.
>>
>>53644182
If it was going to be long he should have just written it down along with a TL;DR bullet point summary and given it to the players before the session if possible.
>>
>>53642336
>vomiting noises
Ugh.
>>
>>53642336
What's wrong with Bee-begs, anon?
>>
>>53642245
Just leave.
Or kidnap him IRL.

Your choice.
>>
>>53642245
It's kind of surprising you weren't playing a Cleric.
A weird amount of shit GMs think it's fine to randomly cut off divine-powered characters from their abilities (usually for "story reasons") but will never touch arcanists or anyone else.
>>
>>53643474
Leave and don't look back
>>
>>53643474

Sounds like we you got a railroader that wants everything to happen his way and if you deviate from it you're punished
>>
>>53644182
>DMPC

You should have ran when you had the chance
>>
>>53645216
It sounds worse than that.

It sounds like a GM who wants to railroad the PCs into suffering.

I say leave. If you want to do better than the previous people who left, turn up to a session to tell everyone exactly why you're leaving and offer to GM for them.

If you want to really humiliate the GM, contact the other players who were smart enough to leave before you. Try to get them to write down exactly why they left. Show their reasons to the whole group.
>>
>>53642245
wow that.....a dick move, if he wanted you to change character, he could just have told you...
>>
>>53642245
well, not ASSHOLE, just boring
one of my GM is what i call a leftover-GM.
he CANNOT come up with anything a tiny bit original. its always literally what videogame he played the few days before. Also he doesnt know a quarter of the rules.
>>
I've shared aspects of this story on /tg/ before, but here are the bullet points:
-That GM holed himself up in his room for the full three months of Winter Break planning his campaign out
-First session had us battle something like 30 generic enemies, causing agonizing waits between turns. Thankfully, we voiced our concerns and he said he wouldn't do that anymore.
-Need to prevent a ritual sacrifice. We have several clever ideas to prevent it, like casting Zone of Silence to deny the sacrificer verbal components. He invoked Rule 0 on every single one. He was caught off guard when we failed to prevent the sacrifice off a plot-vital NPC.
-We find out the main plot twist (the king is secretly evil for no adequate reason) in the first session. He still presents it as a surprise in the final session.
-He has an irrational hatred of one of the players. Kept giving his Nat 1's disproportionate penalties compared to everybody else, later threw an instant-death spell at him.
-Final session has 200 generic enemies (after he said he wouldn't throw swarms at us again). He insisted on rolling Initiative for each one.
>>
>>53645486
Oh, forgot.
-Gave us all a "dream sequence" with "groups of Yuan-Ti gang-raping girls who have not yet come of age."
>>
File: 1496420260219.png (323KB, 367x366px) Image search: [Google]
1496420260219.png
323KB, 367x366px
Holy shit how do you guys meet these people?
>>
My gm hasn't started the game yet almost a year after we floated the idea that we wanted to play. He has enough material for maybe an intro game so far and said he might be ready by the end of this week. Maybe
>>
>>53645643
All of my "absurdly shit GM" stories are either GMs who ran nothing but combat with maybe token railroad RP segments, or online games with randos.
>>
>>53645643
I would assume most of it is online, since barrier to entry is lower and people have less incentive to control themselves.

Then again, I've looked in at some sessions at the FLGS and some people either have no shame at all or genuinely don't understand what they're doing wrong.
>>
File: sigh1.jpg (40KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
sigh1.jpg
40KB, 350x350px
>players only given 7 or 8 seconds to decide what they want to do during a fight, dm sometimes shouting to hurry it up if they break the 10-second mark

Like I get wanting to speed things up during a fight but holy shit, give me a fucking break
>>
>dm has hyper specific way he wants characters
>hammers home what type of game it's going to be
>4 levels in, forced by cut scene to plane hop
>can never go home
Every fucking time. I gave up last session and quit the group. He called me about running the alt game and playing this week and he would not accept i was not coming back. After the 7th campaign I just can't take it.
>>
>>53645725
What's worst is when people do it to new players, or in giant clusterfuck fights where you're right after the guys who do lightning fast turns that have major impact.
>>
File: 1411626390967.png (98KB, 221x218px)
1411626390967.png
98KB, 221x218px
>>53645486
>>53645532
>>
>>53645701
>>53645663
I've just recently gotten to tinkering with roll20, I hope I don't deal with any magical realm nonsense (unless its my fetishes of course).

I figured local grognards at a flgs would be more likely to pull that kinda stuff. Guess I've been lucky with my RL DMs
>>
My gm introduced an ocdonutsteel dmpc to the party who is the worst type of dmpc, he's better than all of the other pcs at everything and central to the plot.

He also got bitchy because we weren't rushing to chase down a lead, when the first thing he did was make us play through the opening scene three times because of fucking time loops. He literally said that there was a way to get through the game without any need to use time loops, and it just blows my mind how hard he's railroading. If you have a specific series of events that you want to have happen with no input from the players you should be writing a book
>>
>>53645745
>when people do it to new players

This for sure, also my dm is a massive hypocrite who takes a couple minutes figuring his shit out each turn. He does it less now than he used to but every once in a while he'll get impatient, I can't fathom how some people get their heads so far up their asses
>>
File: 1490417978858.png (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1490417978858.png
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>53645486
I, unironically, think you are really into heavy BDSM, and like to be dominated.
you left every single ounce of self love and fun just to please a GM for ehat looks like much more than a year amd he shits repeateadly on you and you like it so much as the slave you are that you cime back everyday.

the GM is one big cunt as other have pointed but you are a really pathetic human being. Hope you dont tell your eventual GF you are being bullied dayli and prived of any fun, really a beta fag thing to do.
>>
>>53645975
>yfw russian phoneposter is right
>>
>>53643474
The fact you let him run more than one game is astounding, and speaks more to you and your group's lack of a backbone than it does anything about him.

Actually the same could be said about almost everyone giving examples in this thread.
>>
>>53645975
This.
>>
I had a GM that introduced a quest giver DMPC on the first session, who forcefully "hired" us in a tavern after defeating a bunch of guys who picked a fight with us.

This DMPC was better than us in every way and when he was with us he took care of basically all the combat. I guess even he knew that was a problem since he would come up with excuses for why the DMPC couldn't come with us on this task he set us out to do (even though he was stronger than everyone and everyone was afraid of him). He usually stayed at inns on the outskirts of town, and the GM always made a point for him to be in the middle of fucking someone whenever we came to him for whatever reason.

The rest of the campaign was pretty boring and the GM kept pulling bullshit out of his ass. For example, when we tried to lie to the guards, he would tell us the guards had a device that detected all lies. Every time we tried to do something slightly clever, he'd stop us with another magic gimmick. It got out of control.

We got through 7 sessions, hoping he would get better, since it was his first time GMing, but eventually we fucked up a quest so badly, and killed some important NPCs, that the GM said we'd continue next session, but there was never one. He wasn't any better as a player, always trying to keep spotlight on his character and staring at the phone when somebody else was doing something. Also got pissed when combat didn't go his way. Last I heard, he quit tabletop completely because it was boring.
>>
File: tg in a shellnut.png (16KB, 201x240px)
tg in a shellnut.png
16KB, 201x240px
>>53643474
>King in Yellow
You sure he's not a fa/tg/uy?
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.