[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 382
Thread images: 41

File: ancientboatcave.jpg (92KB, 634x850px) Image search: [Google]
ancientboatcave.jpg
92KB, 634x850px
D&D 5E General - Dungeon Edition

>Revised Classes 2: UA Boogaloo
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Feedback Questionnaires
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Archive of Shitposting:
>>53634053

What was the best dungeon you've ever played? What's a dungeon idea you'd like to see in a future game?
>>
>>53637363
First for huge milky npc centaur jugs
>>
Anons, I'm trying to convert the Hellbred from 3.5's Fiendish Codex II into a 5e race. How overpowered is this first draft?

5e Hellbred:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Normal
Damned and Forsaken: You are Immune to Fear and the Frightened condition. However, because your soul is damned, you cannot be affected by a Raise Dead spell: restoring you to life requires a Resurrection spell.
Findish Mien: You have Proficiency in Intimidation.
Infernal Aspect: Choose either the Tainted Soul or Corrupted Body aspect. Your remaining racial traits are determined by this choice.

Corrupted Body:
Ability Score Modifer: +2 Constitution
Filled With Corruption: You have Resistance to Poison damage, Immunity to the Poisoned condition, and Advantage on saving throws against disease.

Tainted Soul:
Ability Score Modifier: +2 Charisma
Whispers of Damnation: You can communicate telepathically with one creature that you can see within 30 feet.
>>
File: Contemplative Segata Sanshiro.jpg (30KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Contemplative Segata Sanshiro.jpg
30KB, 640x480px
Can't find anything in Google or Sage Advice, so I'll ask here.
If a barbarian uses a Finesse weapon (for some ungodly reason) do they add their Rage Bonus to it?
>>
Started a new group and they're loot maniacs. They search constantly for money laying around, grab all of the basic armor and weapons from any dead body, and they do this as a PRIORITY!

For example, I was introducing a PC monk by having them meet him mid-combat in the basement of the mansion they were at. I told them they heard combat happening down there after they beat a minor encounter and had a npc guard run down there to guide them down there. What do they do instead? They LOOT.

They searched every body, collected every single thing off of them, and threw down potions over a real life span of 15 minutes. I had the monk roll a D.C. 10 after every attempt to loot something new to decide if he was taking damage. Thank God he rolled well and took almost no damage, but they're addicted to focusing the entire game on loot.

How do I curb this greed? They know they'll get enough wealth through the adventure, but they won't stop. Please help.
>>
>>53637520
If you're using Dexterity for AB and damage, no, you don't get the Rage bonus.

But you can use Finesse weapons in a non-finessed way. You can make Strength-based attacks with a Rapier and get your Rage bonus if you want.
>>
>>53637520
If they use strength to attack, yes.
>>
>>53637524
Mimics.
Cursed items.
>>
Y'all got any fun dungeon tables to roll on?
>>
>>53637508
>immunity to being poisoned AND frightened
that's too much

>whispers of damnation
sounds way too strong in my opinion
>>
>>53637575
Why is immunity to both Poisoned and Frightened too much, especially given the drawback that in a low-level game, death for you is permanent?

Also, why is Whispers of Damnation so strong? It's literally the same ability as the Ghostwise Halflings, only without the Brave and Lucky traits to back it up.
>>
>>53637524
Have the mooks store their loot in forms that aren't obvious, like valuable carvings and objects'd art.
>>
Why did they change the Druid's Wolf Spirit Bond to a Unicorn? They both do the exact same thing.
>>
>>53637571
Regarding?
>>
>>53637524
Put 'em in a crypt.
Disturbing bodies only makes a bunch of fucking ghosts and skeletons pop up and wreck their shit.
Trying to hock the doodads in the nearest town doesn't go well because everyone recognizes them as bearing the seal of the noble family that owns the whole area and
A) they actually like those guys, so it gets the fuzz on the party's ass real fast for graverobbery, or
B) those items were interred in a holy place to suppress a curse because the family dicked around with demons, and now the curse is running wild and pouring monsters everywhere and the living members of the family have turned into huge assholes who ruin everyone's life
>>
>>53637670
Just in general. Good to have a few lying around.
>>
File: best kuuga.jpg (83KB, 850x566px) Image search: [Google]
best kuuga.jpg
83KB, 850x566px
>>53637557
>>53637559
Alright, thanks lads.
>>
How good are Pact of Chain warlocks? The improved familiar seems like it wouldn't get better at later levels.
>>
>>53637524
>You are carrying too much shit
>You now move slower
>You are carrying way too much shit
>You now have disadvantage
>>
>>53637520
>If a barbarian uses a Finesse weapon (for some ungodly reason)
It's called a barbarogue and it's real.
>>
>>53637700
You got it in one.
>>
Anyone else think they nerfed cloak of flies too hard?
>>
>>53637830
And what about Ghostly Gaze? Why would I ever waste an invocation on that?
>>
File: image.png (827KB, 749x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
827KB, 749x1024px
>>53637694
>>53637571
>>
>>53637633
>Why is immunity to both Poisoned and Frightened too much?

Because being immune to too much is boring. It takes away options from the DM to make combat more interesting. Ever fought against a Rakshasar as a Mage? The same applies to PCs

>especially given the drawback that in a low-level game, death for you is permanent?

that's not really a drawback, it's just a bit of flavor, that at worst may piss a player off, because he's losing his char. It doesn't make the char itself any weaker - neither in combat nor in social interaction

>Also, why is Whispers of Damnation so strong? It's literally the same ability as the Ghostwise Halflings, only without the Brave and Lucky traits to back it up.

Because it's literally a Warlock feature and I think that's too strong for a race feature. I also wouldn't allow Ghostwise Halflings
>>
File: image.png (853KB, 745x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
853KB, 745x1024px
>>53637971
>>
>>53637363
>Warlocks were happy for once that they could do something beyond EB spam
>Print new shit that buffs EB while nerfing everything not EB
Should have listened when people said just play a Paladin.
>>
>>53637994
5e was cool about giving us a list of these in the PHB
Most used table in the book desu
>>
>>53637995
Moonbow killed the Blade.
>>
>Fiendsigh Vigor
>You can cast false life on yourself at will as a 1st-level spell, without expending a spell slot or material components.

>Shroud of Shadow
>You can cast invisibility at will, without expending a spell slot.

So, is it cast at 5th slot level or what?
>>
File: wrist crossbow.jpg (167KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
wrist crossbow.jpg
167KB, 800x600px
Reasons not to give my rogue this?
>>
>>53638102
1d2 damage with no possibility of dmg modifiers
>>
>>53638102
It's crafted from materials that wouldn't exist in pre-industrial setting.
If you're just gonna handwave it because magic, sure, go ahead.
>>
>>53637995
I've been outta the loop for a while, actually DMing is a lot harder than I thought, but what are you talking about?

This UA https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/20170213_Wizrd_Wrlck_UAv2_i48nf.pdf ?
>>
>>53637508
For the third time buddy, fuck off to pfg with that shit.
>>
>>53638067
More like multiclassing and WotC being too retarded to add "you can only use Warlock spell-slot to smite"

Bow was really strong, but they shouldn't have killed the entire archtype over it or their short-sightedness. It's baffling they gutted blade and in the same UA buffed the shit out of one of the most complained about features in the game.
>>
>>53637830
You just have to keep it on until you're about to take a rest.
>>
>>53638147
>"you can only use Warlock spell-slot to smite"
They did add that.

But they also lowered the damage.
>>
>>53638138
Go shoot yourself, shithead. Fuck off back to the 40K general if you can't handle the idea that people play things other than humans.
>>
File: sandwich alignment.jpg (214KB, 1200x825px) Image search: [Google]
sandwich alignment.jpg
214KB, 1200x825px
I asked this last thread and only got memes + 1 real answer. On a stone sorcerer, which should I try to get to 20 first, Str, Con, or Cha?
>>
>>53638121
Pretty much this. It would be weak as fuck, it would get in the way of wielding anything properly in that hand and you wouldnt be able to get it off quickly.
>>
>>53638195
CHA you cunt. Almost always you want your main skill to 20 first.
>>
>>53638126
Not magic, but obviously very advanced mechanics.
So there'd be a single blueprint, well hidden by a league of assassins. And the only one who can make them is the gnome that invented it, who the assassins also claim.
>>
>>53638147
Now it is a paladin smite that knocks adult dragons prone, though.
>>
>>53638186
Yeah, needed to be one or the other not both. Shit is ruined for everyone now.
>>53638129
UA today invalidated what you posted, the original Hexblade was viable as shit.
>>
>>53637363
>What was the best dungeon you've ever played?
This one haunted house adventure our GM put together. It was better then most regular dungeons because every area had to make logical sense in a house and we could recognize what each room was actually for, so the building actually made sense to us rather then being an endless series of hallways and chambers filled with traps and monsters.

The dungeon itself wasn't particularly large, but the entire adventure was very Resident Evil-like as we had to keep solving puzzles and unlocking new parts of the manor before we could finally decode exactly what had happened there and escape.
>>
>>53638246
At 2 slots with a way worse base class. I am not denying the prone states power, but I feel it's overstated and doesn't make up for what they lost. Look at the EB invocations, you can push, pull, or stop movement just for hitting zero slots used. EB is way way better now.
>>
I need help deciding which character to run, I've been dead even on which to go for a couple weeks now and I gotta decide in a couple days. I'm just gonna say background in a nutshell to save everyone's time. I have no idea what the rest of the party is going to be.

Aasimar paladin of bane with a big might=right shtick or a human battlemaster folk hero who knows absolutely nothing about how the world works aside from farming and his talent with a polearm. They are both incredibly racist to all goblins.
>>
>>53638194
Stop fucking trying to change 5e into another Pathfinder with your donutsteel shit you edgy tumblrite faggot.
>>
The people that replied to the last Warlock UA probably theorycrafted so hard the multiclassing that they shot down the entire concept to appease them.

Old Cloak of Flies
Fiendlock, 5 damage

New Cloak of Flies
5th level, Charisma modifier damage, once per short rest.
>>
>>53638597
Those are both shit so it doesn't matter.
>>
Considering a short/mid-long campaign meant to be more of an extended one-shot than full campaign over the summer. Thoughts and ideas for encounters? I only have a beginning and end in mind.

>Obviously ripped off from Dark Souls, though most of the players are big Dark Souls fags so I'm sure they'll appreciate it
>Players have the option to pick a character they feel died "unjustly" in a previous campaign or make a new one (Regardless, they're dead and in not-purgatory- everyone gets a modified Revenant subrace for free)
>Wake up in not-Undead Asylum at level 1, no memories at all
>Wander around and eventually fight the level 1 miniboss, get back basic memories of who they were and given their plot hook- there's a big-ass tower. If you get to the top, you can return to life
>Long (Abridged due to few encounters, maybe 2 sessions) trek across bleak ash desert, get to big mystery tower, at level 3 at this point and have all their lifetime memories back
>Each floor is a Dungeon in it's own, some being underground, some appearing to be outdoors (Rather than xp or milestones, doing a simple 1 level per floor)
>Floor 21 is the rooftop, where they'll speak to and fight an Avatar of a LN Life/Death God who runs this particular plane, if they win they get returned to the material plane alive
>>
File: moses.jpg (26KB, 193x320px) Image search: [Google]
moses.jpg
26KB, 193x320px
>Sticks to Snakes
>1st level spell
>1 min concentration
>V.S.M (Varies)
At 1st level you get 3 Poisonous Snakes, or 1 Flying Snake, or 1 Constrictor Snake. Flavor/Components are 3 Sticks or 1 Arrow, or 1 Quarterstaff.
Gives more at other spell slots, at 3rd you can use a faggot to get a Swarm of Poisonous Snakes.

Because of the revised UA with summoner Druid, I wanted non 3rd level summon spells. Summoners are probably the sorest spot I've ever seen here. Is it balance (DPR)? Is it slowdown (clunky initiative)? Is it something else? I want to mitigate the issues that can be answered.
>>
File: c04zbvqgsl5y.png (651KB, 1200x1230px) Image search: [Google]
c04zbvqgsl5y.png
651KB, 1200x1230px
How do I Red Mage?
>>
>>53638908
bard.
>>
>>53638776
Multiclassing ruined Warlocks.
>>
>>53638892
>Is it slowdown (clunky initiative)? Is it something else?

Yes because it's summoning something that should have stayed minimal.
>>
>>53638908
eldritch Knight or Elven Blademage out of sword coast.

Or, the obvious one, Bard.
>>
>>53638102
Is his name Wez, and does he have a red mohawk?
>>
>>53638121
>>53638201
It's literally just a hand crossbow but wrist-mounted.
>>
>>53638999
Don't forget the ASSLESS CHAPS
>>
>>53638747
Just ignore him.
It's mentally healthier for you.
>>
>>53638934
So if you were going to have other summon spells, they wouldn't be like the ones that start with potentially 8, and scale to 16 with other slots. They'd start with 1, and summon a better singular monster with other slots.
>>
>new UA didn't fix the Warlock invocations that let you smite for 2d8 per spell level, essentially a super smite

So they're just gonna leave cursebringer and shit like that? Seems too powerful.
>>
>>53638921
>>53638952
If I go bard, would Valor or Sword be better?
>>
So what are confirmed subclasses for XGE and what are strong hints through stream of anihalation?

Confirmed
>Cavalier
>Inquisitive
>Horizon Guardian

Featured in the Stream
>Grung player race
>Barbarian Storm Herald
>>
>>53639200
Fucking cavalier. Its so bad.
>>
>>53639189
New invocations are meant to replace the old, Cursebringer is pretty much in limbo until the book later in the year.
>>
>>53637363

The Weeping Colossus in Princes of the Apocalypse was pretty fucking cool. A good mix of environmental hazards, puzzles, ambiance, and a really neat boss fight against a fire prophet, a red dragon, and potentially the Elemental Prince of Flame. One of the best boss fights I've run.

I'd like to see some kind of high level dungeon/campaign. Not that I would ever want to *run* a game past level 12 or so, but I need to know that it's actually possible to *write* material for players at that level. My group of level 11 players eat liches for breakfast. What the hell would I throw at level 16 players, much less 20?
>>
>>53639200
Wait, what? Grung as a playable race? Are you sure?
>>
I'm a shitty DM who needs maps to help me.

What are some good utilities for making maps? Tiamat is nice but oy vey, and someone suggested Pyromancer but it seems incredibly basic.
>>
>>53639294
No, which is why "featured" was separated from "confirmed"
>>
>>53639027
Nah I have hand crossbows larger than that, since the "light" crossbow is a pretty big crossbow, while the heavy is fuckhuge.
>>
>>53639233
A lot of strong enemies at once. I'm running a campaign that has reached higher levels already, an example end-of-dungeon bossfight at 14th level was a buffed Marilith (with OP legendary actions), 3 glabrezu (though one came late) and 4 vrocks.
>>
>>53639312
Huh... I have no idea how that'd work if it turns out to be true. But, hey, if Xanathar's includes some new PC race options, that's always a good thing.
>>
>>53639200
My guess is the last two UAs have been about doing a second on some subclasses, which'll then get redone again for XGE.
>>
>>53639331

Hmmm, I was considering a demon/devil campaign somewhere down the line. You don't get bogged down with too many actions per round?
>>
>>53639314
a hand crossbows normal range is 30 ft, if you rule a hand crossbow is much bigger than what the pic he shared was then you should increase its range
>>
HAHAHAHA WARLOCKS GOT KEKED AGAIN
>>
File: Ffta-h-bluemage.jpg (23KB, 291x492px) Image search: [Google]
Ffta-h-bluemage.jpg
23KB, 291x492px
>>53638908
The real question is...How do I Blue Mage?
>>
>>53639375
If they're not all different types of enemies, handling ~10 is usually manageable. Though your mileage may vary, I try to resolve combat very quickly.
>>
>>53639463
see >>53638921
>>
File: job_bluemage_ff11.jpg (21KB, 165x350px) Image search: [Google]
job_bluemage_ff11.jpg
21KB, 165x350px
>>53639463
FF11 Blue Mages are the best kind
>>
>>53639470

I would love to resolve combat quickly, but my players are all pretty casual and take forever to make decisions. Do you use any rules/timers to keep things moving?
>>
>be first time DM
>the adventure starts with the PCs being contestants on The Bachelor/Bachelorette show of the world
>people tune in via scrying mirrors (basically TVs)
>the person they're trying to marry gets kidnapped
>the party decides to save her, for several reasons (winning her heart, money, fame)

I'm kind of stumped for what to do next. I want this adventure to be a globe trotting kind of thing, and I want to involve political intrigue along with the idea that basically everyone knows who they are. It's a sort of light hearted, tongue in cheek kind of world, but the guys I play with seem really into it.
>>
How do I deal with a summoner?
>Summons 16 fucking wolves
>spends 5 mins a turn until I manage to break their concentration
>does it again
>>
>>53639536
sounds like a memetier faggot liberal campaign
>>
>>53638892
Action economy is the reason that summoning should not be a thing.
>>
>>53639533
Nah, I just shout and threaten to skip their turn if they take too long, it's usually enough especially since they're all relatively proficient at the game.
>>
>>53639477
>Blue Mage
>Bard
I guess I kind of see it with Magical Secrets. But beyond that, not really. I feel like a Blue Mage needs to beable to see/experience a spell and learn/copy it.
>>
>>53639536

Base it off one of those old cartoons (the Karate Kid cartoon comes to mind) where they're always right on the kidnappers asses, chasing them to !notChina, then !notHawaii, then !notWhereever, and always manage to thwart some evil scheme that the villains lay out, while never quite rescuing the princess. Or if they do well enough to rescue her earlier than you'd like, then it's a clone, a robot, an evil twin, she was the villain all along, some twist. Just give them some macguffin to teleport/fast travel, and vary up the setting each week - urban to wilderness, desert to tundra to jungle, etc...
>>
>>53639563
AoE the fuck out of them.
>>
>>53639648
that's just RP, don't pick spells you haven't seen.
>>
>>53639463
>>53639648
Stop asking how to do dumb shit when you know you can't do it without homebrew
>>
>>53639609

Yeah... some of my players might be idiots... over a year and some still ask how to roll initiative...
>>
>>53638194
>pathfinder
>can't stand playing things other than humans
What did he mean by this?
>>
Xanathar's Guide to Everything sounds fucking retarded.
>>
>>53639590
I know what you mean, but it's more like a reason to be wary instead of "not a thing". Summon spells take an action to cast, they required concentration. One CR 2 creature giving it's additional actions are never usually the problem, it's 5e's monster health/damage scaling, and 8 wolves outdamaging most other spells you might use your action, and concentration for.
Abusing the economy lets this be possible, but it's the extreme it's taken to (weak monster x8) that leads to the normal summon spells being a black sheep in 5e.
>>
>>53637524
First off, consider asking them too. Like, personally say, 'this is silly and slowing the game down and making it a lot less interesting to GM'.

Encumbrance rules. Perhaps be a bit more lax than the default ones, but let them feel the weight of all the cruft.

Make time matter to them as well. Have some sort of contextual feedback within the game whenever they take too long (though if you rolling so much didn't tip them off then this might not do much).

Remember (or remind them) that scavenged loot like second-hand armor only gets 1/2 the normal value *at most*. Don't hesitate to chop that in half again if you decide it's in exceptionally bad condition.
Combine that with some degree of weight-tracking and they'll probably stop.

Or, you could make it easier and cut to the chase. And the end of the next encounter you could do something like this: "You waste a half-hour and find 100 lbs. worth of junk that you might get 50 gold for if you're lucky; with all the rest of your gear you'll only move at half-speed with it. Also in that half-hour reinforcements showed up. Roll for initiative".
>>
>>53639768
>Reminder that if you are wild shaped, you can't give your summons orders.
>>
File: 1494711416708.jpg (74KB, 454x453px) Image search: [Google]
1494711416708.jpg
74KB, 454x453px
>>53639720
>>
File: JustDoItFam.jpg (59KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
JustDoItFam.jpg
59KB, 600x500px
>>53639189

The new smite is absolute garbage though.
Once per turn
ONLY Warlock spellslots (no more multiclassing)

Needs spellslot, needs you to be in melee, needs you to hit a melee attack and does less damage than an eldritch blast.

Please tell me why i would spend a level 5 spellslot casting a 6d8 smite when i could cast an 4d8 + 4d8 aoe? Or eldritch blast + fireball from a distance?

Or use a hex, do a bunch of eldritch blasts, and each hit would give bonus charisma damage + 1d6 hex damage?

They KILLED Bladelock.

2d8 was so powerful and MORE powerful than a paladin smite because Warlocks have nowhere near the survivability of a paladin, have fewer spellslots, less health and no self-healing.
>>
>>53639808
You can just be broad about it then transform though, right?
>'kill my enemies'
>turn into bird and fly away
>>
>>53639758
catfolk samurai!!! ^_^
>>
>>53639854
But look anon, you get to knock a nigga prone n' shit.
>>
>>53639854
yeah its garbage now but was too strong before, they failed to find a middle ground
>>
>>53639854
Good. The only class with smites should be Paladin, much like the only class with Bardic Inspiration should be Bards. End of story.
>>
>>53639563
You're the one that chooses the monster.
>8 CR 1/8 or less monsters
>give them a bunch of snails
AoE/Dispel Magic/Talk to them
>>
>>53639854
All it needed was a multiclass restriction and a die reduction on the bow. Instead they killed all forms of Bladelock making them a shitty pally with a sky high opportunity cost with no high roll payoffs.
>>
>>53639896
I hate character diversity, the post
>>
>>53639859
well yeah, but then if the enemies do anything clever, you can't adjust your orders
>>
>>53639922
I hate class identity, the post
>>
>>53639895
Making it 5d12 cap base would fix it imo, you highroll 10d12 instead of the absurd 20d10 but make up for the limited slots.
>>
>>53639563
says right in the spell DM chooses the monsters. But now you screwed the pooch and set a precedence of your player choosing. congrats, you ruined your own fucking game.
>>
>>53639950
Class identity is just what you fucking make of it
Some classes should have interchangeable mechanics for both fluff and crunch purposes
>>
File: 1445711557241.jpg (22KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1445711557241.jpg
22KB, 500x500px
>>53639854
>ONLY Warlock spellslots (no more multiclassing)
There's no such thing as Warlock spell slots, just like there are no Paladin spell slots.
Don't believe me? It's all in the numbers.
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/05/12/covert-warlock-spell-slots-to-sorcery-points/
>>
>>53639986
Nah. I hope they nerf your shitty little gish even further so you have no reason to play this garbage. Stick to casting eldritch blast, kiddo.
>>
I think I might DM a game where the party plays werewolves as a one-shot around halloween. Any tips?

The setting will be Castle Ravenloft, 100 years after the previous party of heroes slew Strahd. He returns on the night of the winter solstice, after the castle has been renovated by local lords and is being used to throw a ball.

The party will start out as guests to the ball. The implication to the players is that they'll be involved with killing Strahd again, but I'm planning to turn the tables and have them be the monsters instead.
>>
>>53640038
This is some advanced form of shitposting
>>
>>53640050
i should say, werewolves or vampires or other night creatures are all A-OK. Will probably let them choose individually when the time comes.
>>
>>53640034
New UA states only lock slots for smites, so unless you multiclass sorc you can only lock-smite with your lock slots.
>>
Were Dragonfriends and Mearl's Tower of the Curator the best out of the lot? In that order.
>>
File: 1445311592835.png (268KB, 432x454px) Image search: [Google]
1445311592835.png
268KB, 432x454px
>>53640120
Old Paladin PHB states only pala for smites. You think you know better than WotC what to do with this month's UA ruling?
>>
>>53640050
>>53640083
I'd not, let the players in on it and that they are trying to ensure Strahd comes back otherwise you just look like a that DM.
>>
>>53639895
They should have done something with EB that let you apply it to your melee weapon attacks instead of trying to work smite into it.
>>
>>53640060
Honestly I think people should get more creative with their fluff instead of needing a niche class for every character type, that's how you get pf and no one wants that again.
>>
>>53640177
But then the 4 EK players would shit their pants that warlocks got anything good just like Paladins did.
>>
Would you consider giving a paladin player with the mounted combatant feat a griffon mount?
>>
File: XIV_Omega_Art.png (1MB, 1024x742px) Image search: [Google]
XIV_Omega_Art.png
1MB, 1024x742px
>>53639463
Probably a kind of sorcerer bloodline with an ability like:

>Learning - At first level, you have learned how to use your enemy's arcane magics to enhance your own knowledge.
>When you are the target of a spell cast by an enemy, of a level you are able to cast, you may replace one of the spells you know with the enemy's spell. This spell becomes a sorcerer spell for you.
>When you have used this ability, you may only use it again after a Long Rest.

Only, you know... balanced and better written.
>>
>>53640191
Hexblade is one of the most popular UA they've released and something Warlocks sorely needed, a playstyle beyond EB spam.
>>
>>53640199
What WotC should do is actually make the class viable in regular play instead of within their fucking mental 6 encounters per adventuring day idea. Do that first then add on gimicks.
>>
>>53640162
It's a one-shot, and it's intended to be a bit silly. Not going to affect our main campaign where we have PCs with serious arcs.

My players are pretty chill, we've all known each other long enough that I think I can say they'll be cool with it.

I definitely see what you're getting at, though.
>>
>>53640199
That can't be helped.
>>
>>53638195
STR. Most of your spells you should be using a lot (Booming Blade, Haste, Enlarge and etc.) don't need CHA at all. I'd feel safe playing a Stone Sorcerer with 14 CHA honestly.

You only need 17 AC to be alright for most the game. That only requires 14 CON and a Shield so it's not urgent.
>>
>>53640237
What Warlocks sorely need is their class fixed to fit how adventuring days actually go. I could understand six encounters every now and then or if you're doing a straight dungeon crawl campaign but outside that the design is stupid and leads to the EB spam everyone whines about.
>>
>>53640303
Short Rest recharging spell points.
>>
>tfw the best way to make a STR Monk is by picking Mystic
>>
>>53640303
Well obviously that fix isn't going to happen in 5e so shit like 20d10 smites have to shoulder the immense burden the class got because the design team is beyond fucking retarded.
>>
>>53638776
Another thing is that while it's only once per rest, it lasts as long as you want.

Really I don't think anything's wrong with the Warlock's UA stuff. Only changes I'd make to the class is EB is a class feature and Hexblades can only take Pact of the Blade.
>>
>>53640348
>tfw the best way to make anything is by picking mystic
>>
>>53640327
Problem is that still relies on short rest which Warlock already is built around. Unless you're talking giving them a bit more

>>53640349
>Instead of trying to get the core issue fixed we'll just take a gimmick

Ok
>>
>Love the flavor or Lore Master being able to change the damage type of spells
>They're ridiculously overpowered

How would you balance them?
>>
>>53640390
Yeah I'll take a gimmick, because we aren't getting anything else. Warlocks are EB or unplayable. No in betweens.
>>
>>53640422
Give the ability to sorcerers, can only change damage type.
>>
Hey guys I'm gonna roll up a Kobold for the first time, what classes or builds make really good use of their skillset?
>>
Anyone got advice for this brainlet trying to roleplay a high-int character?
>>
>>53640450
Have you tried not playing DnD?

Barring that how about fluff the very fucking class you are pretending to be to be a "warlock" you took your oath to some being and it's how you cast spells.
>>
>>53640303
This may be kind of stupid, but with the "power through sacrifice" theme of the Warlock, maybe something to restore spell slots/points by sacrificing hit points?

The exact ratio would need to be worked out so you wouldn't be able to sacrifice-use points to heal up-still come out ahead.
>>
File: 1326622855138.jpg (78KB, 639x595px) Image search: [Google]
1326622855138.jpg
78KB, 639x595px
My GM just decided to take a break for 2 months.
>>
>>53638102
Cuz its not in muh RAW...
>>
I think a great message to take from the Stream of Annihilation is that have fun however you want it in your games, be it serious or lighthearted, be it rules heavy or rules light. However you play it is not the wrong kind of fun.
>>
File: image.jpg (169KB, 750x931px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
169KB, 750x931px
What class do you guys like best flavor-wise? I really like warlocks or paladins a lot.
>>
>>53637524
Trapped gear and cursed weapons anon. They will curve their hunger, with violence
>>
So I started a campaign playing an ex-pirate girl today that is still a complete cunt to everyone not her party and mostly in it for the money above all else, even her life. She's also a complete fucking moron.

The rest of the group did have fun so far and having a "troublemaker" PC seemed to be a bit of a new twist for our usual dynamic (shit like not being able to tell what a joke is and what isn't, shouting and threatening an old innkeeper lady that jokingly challenged me to fisticuffs, resulting in my char being strangled by her grandson and being kicked out).
Now, as fun and refreshing this kind of stupid asshole PC is for now, I'm afraid it might turn boring a few sessions in. Any tips on how to keep things fresh after a while or how to progress her character to not be a detriment to the party and have her be treated like a troublesome pet/child all the time without losing her charm? Having 6 fucking Int but 14 Cha and generally being an asshole doesn't leave must development room other than threatening fewer people all the time than usual.
>>
>>53640559
Have one of the other party members GM until they're ready to come back, the ride never ends.
>>
>>53640501
Think before you act.
>>
>>53637400
Why are Centaur women the best lovers?
>>
>>53640594
Paladins, monks and rangers.
>>
>>53640158
>>53640034
Please. Don't stop Deus Exposting.
>>
>>53640511
Shitposting is an art and I can see you care about your craft
>>
File: 1496702132529.png (238KB, 582x576px) Image search: [Google]
1496702132529.png
238KB, 582x576px
>>53640565
It's just a light crossbow that leaves your hand free...
>>
>>53640501
Either take your time coming up with solutiond or rapid fire suggestions how to solve a problem.

I'm playing a 20 Int Necromancer and usually can manage to solve a ton of problems by just abusing the shit out of Polymoroh whenever possible because of hoe versatile it is if you're clever about it.
Nothing quite as funny as polymorphing your zombie into a bird and sticking your group's tinkerer's bombs onto it.
>>
>>53640594
Warlocks, clerics and Diviners for me.

It has come to a point where any setting where Diviners are possible, yet they (as in any sort of dedicated Diviner team) don't become a major powerhouse due to superior intel is insta-boring/unfeasible for me.

Also, cultist/servants of strange powers are always superfun.
>>
What are some good tool profcencies for a halfelf OoA Pally to take up? I think cooking would be cool.
>>
>>53640709
Make it a magic item like the dancing sword.
>>
>>53640743
>his diviners aren't mad prophets, wandering the desert alone
>>
Thinking of playing a Celestial Chainlock. The ability to super heal myself seems cool.

What's a good idea for a familiar I can convince my DM to let me take?
>>
>>53640876
Shoulder angel
>>
File: sorcchanges.png (20KB, 434x354px) Image search: [Google]
sorcchanges.png
20KB, 434x354px
>>53640463
That's what I did.
>>
>>53640797
Sorry I meant hand crossbow, not light crossbow. And yes it would be a magical weapon of sorts, though not magic.
It's the signature weapon of a brotherhood of assassins, and I think it would be impossible to remove from someone's wrist without permanently damaging both the wearer and the crossbow.
That way the players wouldn't be able to equip them before finding the blueprint and gnome that can install it on them.
>>
>>53640690
>I have no argument

Thanks for playing whine some more instead of trying to solve the issue.
>>
>>53640894
So like a pixie with angel wings? Sounds adorable.

Where do I get one?
>>
/pfg/ here, could you guys take this Wayne dude back?
>>
>>53641031
Nope
>>
>>53641031
Only if you take your kitsuneposters back.
>>
>>53641002
Refluff sprite familiar and you're set.
>>
>>53641001
Dumbass 5e has been out for years, they aren't fixing shit. Today's UA fucking confirms they have zero intentions of addressing any real issue the class has while they squash anything that they could have that would be good.
>>
File: throne.jpg (644KB, 800x721px) Image search: [Google]
throne.jpg
644KB, 800x721px
>>53640876
>anything but a Mini Throne
>a whirling, flaming ball of spinning metal rings covered in tiny eyes
>>
Can't wait for hexblade to be a official subclass.
>>
I'm playing a level 4 dwarf paladin of vengeance with a greatsword, stats are 19 10 16 14 10 17
My DM said she'll allow feats, what should I take (that isn't GWM, PAM, etc., I don't care for max damage, since we're not putting a huge emphasis on combat anyway)? Is Warcaster any good?
We're playing CoS if it makes a difference.
>>
>>53641002
>Face a moral conundrum
>Use Bottle on Shoulder Angel
>???
>Profit!
>>
>>53639873
Fun fact: that's actually a very traditional D&D character - Mystara's moon of Myoshima, which was populated by clans of samurai rakasta (catfolk) who rode into battle atop flying sabretoothed tigers, was introduced in Basic D&D back in 1990.
>>
>>53641066
After today I have to ask why?
>>
>>53640594
Paladins, Monks and Mystics.
>>
>>53641042
Okay fine, we'll keep your shitposter and you guys keep Kitsuneposter. At least I can filter a name, fuck Kitsuneposter.
>>
There's a million "Best Module Ever" lists out there, but are there any from 3-4e that might be worth looking at?

Age of Worms/Savage Tide seem to have a good rep.

>>53640894
>Trying to lead him down the path to righteousness
>Not leading him down the path that rocks
>>
>>53640876
Celestial Spider.

It's a small angelic arachnid who really wishes people weren't freaked out by him. "Be ye not afraid. No, seriously. Please don't squish me with a boot."
>>
>>53640237
Hexblade would have received so much positive feedback there is no way it won't be included in the upcoming book.
>>
What spell level are warlock at-will spells cast at (the one you get from invocations)?
>>
File: 1495403644435.jpg (17KB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
1495403644435.jpg
17KB, 255x255px
>>53641060
>I could try and get public support to show WotC that players want this fixed
>Nah I'll just bend over and be happy with what little scraps they decide to throw me

This is why I hope your class stays useless, put effort into changing shit instead of bitching on a Russian troll training forum.
>>
>>53641138
There have been posts after posts, surveys after surveys of people critiquing them for how warlocks are yet nothing has happened except Hexblade and people fucking loved it because it addressed issues, then WotC slapped the fuck out of it.

But you don't care, you just want to shitpost and post reaction images.
>>
>>53641138
Warlocks have been complained about since release, WotC don't give two shits.
>>
>>53641269
The one time they listened to Warlock feedback was to change it from INT to CHA kek
>>
File: 1490650533586.png (15KB, 463x480px) Image search: [Google]
1490650533586.png
15KB, 463x480px
>>53637363
Finally, a good OP. Well done Anon.
>>
>>53641341
Joke's on you, I made it at 320 posts while we were still on page 3.
>>
>>53641372
>Not making it on page one
You sicken me
>>
File: 1496692371592.jpg (23KB, 286x298px) Image search: [Google]
1496692371592.jpg
23KB, 286x298px
>I want to cast goodberry
>DM: ok roll a d20
>Uhhh that's a 12
>DM: ok you make 16 berries
>>
>>53641446
wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut?
>>
>>53641244
So instead of offering an alternative, you're just going to bitch? Glad to have that sorted out, could always keep trying and make an alternative but nah let's piss and moan that they took away something decent.
>>
>>53641446
i dont get it also you dont roll for goodberry
>>
>>53641372
Jokes on you, you fixed the copypasta, picked a good image, wrote a good thread question and prevented some shitposter who would do none of those things from making the thread.
>>
>>53641525
Your stupidity is astounding
>>
>>53641486
>>53641535
I knoooow. That's why I posted it. Like what's with DMs that don't know how 1st level spells work?
>>
>One of the main pieces of feedback we got about the Eldritch Invocations is that you didn’t want them exclusive to particular Otherworldly Patron options, so we’ve opened them up to more warlocks, tweaked them, and cut the least popular ones.

Whoever caused this has objectively shit taste. You're all awful people, and I suspect, the same reason we don't have martial dice for every fighter subclass. You hate fun.
>>
>>53641644
he has autism
>>
File: getanglednotmangled.jpg (153KB, 641x900px) Image search: [Google]
getanglednotmangled.jpg
153KB, 641x900px
>>53641660
>we made everything more generic and cut options
>>
What's a good place to get premade maps for roll20?

I already paid for a fucking sub for a higher upload limit, not giving these kikes 8 dollarydoos for a "MEGA" pack with 23 fucking tiles in it.
>>
>>53641612
Keep it up, that problem will eventually solve itself or WotC will just take a shit in your mouth again and you'll just complain is all.
>>
>>53638100
Any spell cast without a spell slot defaults to its base level.
>>
>>53641612
>>53641797
Why are you both like this?
>>
>>53641817
Because I'm an asshole
>>
>You can breathe underwater, and you gain a swimming speed equal to your walking speed. >You can also cast water breathing without expending a spell slot. Once you cast it using this invocation, you can’t do so again until you finish a long rest.

What the fuck is this balance? You can breath underwater passively, but if you want to let another person breath underwater, you gotta take an 8 hour breather.

I suspect the person designing this hasn't ever played a warlock.
>>
Also, it doesn't specify what spell level the spell is.
>>
>>53641935
>>53641897
>needing the invocation at all when you can cast it as a ritual with your Book of Shadows
>giving a shit about the spell level when it's a flat duration and doesn't improve through casting it with a higher slot
>not simply looking up the spell level as with everything else that mentions a spell
>>
>>53641897
Water Breathing is up to 10 creatures, bro. That makes it so you can make 11 dudes, you + other 10, breathe under water.
>>
>>53641644
On top of everything that a DM has to do, you expect them to know the exact text of every spell in the game? Players that don't know their character's abilities and spells piss me off.
>>
>>53641897
And the one that grants invisibility, you can make your entire party invisibile at will.

Literally Predator.
>>
How do I make the most blasty sorcerer possible?
>>
>>53641992
>what is concentration
>>
Requesting the image of "Volos guide to monster girls and how to fuck them"

Didn't save it before.
>>
>>53641979
>not simply looking up the spell level as with everything else that mentions a spell
>feature doesn't mention spell level
>just look it up anon!

What did you mean by this?

>>53641984
And? That wouldn't be overpowered on a short rest cooldown (or even at will), since water breathing is niche as fuck.
>>
>>53641989
>I cast guidance
>alright, roll a d20
>I cast fireball
>alright, roll a d20
>I cast cloud of daggers
>alright, roll a d20
There's a limit. Particularly when you react to not knowing with pretending you know all when the person casting the spell will know you're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>53642015
It doesn't specify level, check PHB's Fiendish Vigor.
>>
>>53641989
I know my spells, the DM should also know I don't roll to hit my Burning Hands.
>>
>>53642022
>feature says "YOU CAN CAST 'WATER BREATHING'"
>don't know what level 'water breathing' is
>in fact, don't know any of the rules for 'water breathing'
>flip to the Spells section of the PHB
>find 'water breathing'
wew, now I know exactly what it does, its duration, and its spell level
>>
>>53642022
So? You don't need to have every fucking option be overpowered, retard. Water breathing lasts for fucking hours. It's supposed to be an utility invocation, not something that defines the class.

Jesus, I'm done. You're a dumbass.
>>
>>53642086
My mistake, I was under the impression that Water Breathing scales with spell level. This is still an issue for features like the Invisibility spell though.

>>53642125
Did you even read what I wrote anon? Waterbreathing at will wouldn't be overpowered. It's a fucking ritual spell already. In fact, taking an entire invocation to cast water breathing once per long rest is the reverse: it's a trap option, which is legitimately a problem with this edition (with entire classes being trap options, many subclasses, and tons of optional features like invocations). So fuck you, go back, read my post, and then try again.
>>
>>53637700
You can get the Invocations that make them UAVs that deliver touch spells to anyone in the world. Have invisible Imp sneak into overlord's bedchambers and Finger of Death while they sleep.
>>
>>53642216
That would be cool as fuck, if finger of death was a touch spell, or you could cast ranged spells through your familiar.
>>
>>53642237
>fingers have range
Look out world, my Monk is punching from 10 feet away now.
>>
File: delet this.jpg (23KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
delet this.jpg
23KB, 300x300px
>>53641289
stop it

>>53641999
Empowered spell and twin spell, then probably quickened. Spell selection is easy, just drop fireballs everywhere.
>>
>>53642237
>60 feet
Jesus fuck, I've been thinking it was Touch for two years now.
>brain_problems.jpg
gg, Chainlocks
>>
>>53641289
>Warlocks are explicitly T A U G H T magical secrets by their patron now, and spend the rest of their time looking up arcane lore which they S T U D Y
>Charisma
>>
Playing a Deep Stalker revised ranger, managed to convince my DM to allow spears to be considered finesse at the expense of not being able to throw them. VA human with spear mastery, I'm tempted to pick up dual wielder and dual wield spears for fun. Anything inherently wrong with dual wielding spears as a Deep stalker? The way I laid it all out for myself is on the first turn I go charging in two-handing my spear, getting two attacks off and a hunter's mark. Then the next turn switching to one-handing and pulling the other spear out.

Should work out fine, right?
>>
File: i see but am not amused.jpg (242KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
i see but am not amused.jpg
242KB, 1280x960px
>>53641289
>>53642327
>mfw warlocks being int would have removed them being nothing but a dip class for paladins or sorcerers by removing twinned metamagic and smite abuse
>>
>>53642318
To be honest, I don't think it's overpowered for you to cast range spells through your familiar. I think the warlock learns like 4 touch spells. If you do something memey like not even being present for the battle, the imp dies fast, and now your team is outnumbered, and you're down 10 gold.
>>
>>53639790
>Don't hesitate to chop that in half again if you decide it's in exceptionally bad condition.
If its in worse consition, just say no. You get nothing. You can use it, but no one will pay you for it.
>>
>>53642355
Quickened metamagic, I mean. Whoops.
>>
>>53642355
>would have had two classes for every primary stat but Con, instead of only one Int and three Cha
REEEEEE MY SYMMETRY
>>
File: aaaaaaaaaa.jpg (118KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaaaaaa.jpg
118KB, 768x432px
So, for how long is every fucking thread just going to be you guys bitching like crazy about warlocks over some optional stuff?
>>
>>53639957
It wasn't d10s before.
>>
>>53639895
>too strong before

Yeah, nah. You're retarded. Bladelock got more burst damage than the paladin, and half the survivability. That's a fair trade.
>>
>>53638100
I think it's basically the same as the Levitate one.
>>
File: leddit.png (47KB, 885x480px) Image search: [Google]
leddit.png
47KB, 885x480px
I'm just gonna leave this here so y'all can see what the majority of people think. These are the people answering the surveys.
>>
>>53642401
Until something else comes up
>>
>>53642423
I'm going to fucking vomit
>>
File: DBk97prV0AAUgc9.jpg (123KB, 1200x724px) Image search: [Google]
DBk97prV0AAUgc9.jpg
123KB, 1200x724px
Okay guys, I have two of the pieces of art revealed from Tomb of Annihilation. Anyone have the other two?
>>
>>53640158
That was erratad. Paladins just smite with spell slots.
>>
>>53642423
They could only be considered the majority because for all of the bitching that people on /5eg/ do, I'm betting a very small amount of them actually fill out the damn surveys.
>>
Do you make two attacks when you cast Swift Quiver? Or only on the turn afterwards?
>>
File: DBlyInnUwAADKpY.jpg (129KB, 1200x725px) Image search: [Google]
DBlyInnUwAADKpY.jpg
129KB, 1200x725px
>>53642455
>>
>>53640237
Too bad hexblade only buffs EB spam.
>>
Give me your best railway worker PCs.
>>
I hope the Monster Hunter isn't getting bumped by the fucking Cavelier. I've seen people talking shit about the Samurai too which is nuts.
>>
Anons? We've had a frigging huge array of races in D&D over the editions, from elf/ogre crossbreeds to swashbuckling wolf-people to dragonborn. Are there any you particularly wish would get a 5e update?
>>
File: Skellybones.jpg (288KB, 1202x719px) Image search: [Google]
Skellybones.jpg
288KB, 1202x719px
Also it's confirmed that the Ring of Winter is going to be in Tomb of Annihilation. So that's cool I guess.
>>
>>53640709
BUT MUH RAW, FRIEND
>>
>>53642455
Holy fuck that lower jaw.
>>
>>53642586
The Hellbred for sure. I wrote a homebrew as one of the first posts in the thread.
>>
>>53642638
Well, it's a zombie t-rex that's vomiting zombies. I would be disappointed if it looked normal
>>
>>53642586
>Anons?
Do you really need to add that to the start of every post you make?
>>
>>53642615
Ok.. I won't give my rogue player a wristbow...
>>
>>53641132
Goes for you too. See>>53641816
>>
>>53642033
It doesn't actually have to. I've covered this already.
>>
>>53642586
Githzerai, Githyanki, Modron, and Bariaur,
>>
Does anyone actually enforce arrow count/recovery for archers? Or just pretend like a player has an indefinite supply of normal arrows?
>>
>>53642751
Yeah I do. If they say they want to recover arrows I have them roll survival, a 20 would be all the arrows they fired, 10 would be half the arrows, etc.
>>
>>53642595
That doesn't surprise me at all.
Haven't you noticed that every single adventure publisher drops little hints and previews to the next one?
That mentioning of the family of the guy who went searching for the Ring of Winter in Storm King's Thunder was a pretty obvious clue to me, and I guessed Chult would be the next destination because of it.
>>
>>53642586
Githzerai, Githyanki, Bariaur and Shardmind.
>>
>>53642465
No. Only on the turn afterwards.
>>
>>53642779
Seems fair compared to the default rule.
>>
>>53642649
I hadn't noticed that, my bad.
>>
File: leddit.png (90KB, 919x697px) Image search: [Google]
leddit.png
90KB, 919x697px
More from the people who actually answer the surveys. You guys being dead quiet about Warlocks is letting these retards be the majority.
>>
>>53642586
I've fucking loved Shadow Elves ever since that qt in the Creature Catalog. The Mystara teasing in the playtest material only makes me want them more. Mysandric Melniboneans can gtfo.
>>
File: leddit.png (22KB, 917x227px) Image search: [Google]
leddit.png
22KB, 917x227px
>>53642874
Fresh reminder that Warlocks can out-smite damage paladins throughout a standard adventuring day, boys.
>>
>>53642874
I've never hated leddit this much in my life
>>
File: 1451542342409.png (113KB, 310x400px) Image search: [Google]
1451542342409.png
113KB, 310x400px
>>53642586
Half-Ogre
>>
>>53637524
The best answer is to just say "Hey guys, as your DM I can see that you guys like treasure I will accomodate you in this aspect by providing treasure for you when appropriate in fine amounts. I also ask that you show trust in me doing so by not maniacally searching everything for treasure. I'm not trying to hide victory from you."
>>
File: 1-shutterstock_125060093.jpg (40KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1-shutterstock_125060093.jpg
40KB, 300x225px
>>53638839
Stealing
>>
>>53642874
>Implying I'm quiet on the surveys.
But no, fuck reddit.
>>
>>53642874
most of the time when i try to answer the surveys i move back and forth through two tabs so i can review the UA as i answer the questions and i accidentally hit the close tab button when switching and then it doesn't let me take the survey and says i've already taken it
>>
>DM runs a Lovecraftian fantasy campaign every now and again
>decided to see what happens when I play a GOOlock, pick an Old One generally known for being more chill; you don't fuck with his shit, he usually doesn't fuck with you
>as part of the flavor of the GOO, I decided to play as a pureblood fluffed to look more like a malison, usually completely covered in clothes or magically disguised because "lol serpentmen"
>other party members are a cleric and a paladin, cleric is really playing up the zealotry angle, faith is almost literally "by fire be purged!"
>I got knocked out the first session and my hat came off, both party members got a good look at my face, cleric lolNat20'd an arcana check, instantly was able to recognize the mark of my patron on the back of my neck and apparently knew everything he was about
>decides I'm a dangerous cultist, won't kill me because the paladin objected, tells me I'll get mine eventually and that he's watching me

>we've just hit level 5, party goes to spooky castle where the royal family disappeared 10 years ago
>end up on a wooden bridge between two towers, a rival warlock who turned out to be the prince ambushes us
>hard fight, we eventually prevail, he explodes
>paladin, who was in melee, fails a dex save, falls to the roof below, gets knocked out
>bridge begins to collapse, cleric and I make saves; he passes, I fail
>scrabble down the collapsing bridge, fall down through the hole, land on top of the paladin, have about 20 hp left
>cleric saunters down, offers to cure wounds, I accept
>inflict wounds, 2nd level
>turns out this was the perfect time to off me, paladin was unconscious, he could claim I died in the fall
>miraculously survive with 3 hp, decide I can't take the full health cleric
>jump off the cliff into the sea, alter self so I can breathe water and swim, only leave my hat floating on the surface
>cleric revives the paladin, claims I fell off the bridge into the sea
>>
>>53643138
>paladin sees my hat, decides to jump in after me
>fails the acrobatics check, belly flops, out again
>cleric decides the paladin wasn't worth saving at this point because he dove in after me, firebolts the unconscious paladin, killing him
>I see this from underwater, decide to drag his dead body with me
>end session on a boat with a dead dwarf missing half his face flopping up on the deck followed by a very angry snek

Who was in the wrong here? I can't help but feel like I shouldn't have played a warlock, or at least tried to come off as less of a monster, even though I hadn't done anything even remotely evil. My patron wasn't out to destroy the world, and was just fine preventing a rival Old One from sucking the world into another dimension. I don't hate the other guy, I even play in a campaign he runs, and it's one of my favorites to play in, but I liked the character I was playing, and didn't really want to lose them to inter-party fighting. I get that it was in character, but attacking another pc who hadn't aggressed you first seems a little like breaking one of the unwritten rules of party cohesion. Honestly, the whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth.
>>
>>53640594
Druids.
>>
Ideas for a vertical boss fight / encounter?
I've just made a moving theatre-boss and I'm looking at making a vertical based boss next, what concepts have worked for everyone else?
>>
>>53643158
Cleric for sure
Killing a filthy reptillian is nice and just, but firebolting a downed glorious paladin is shit
>>
What is a good name for a sort of spirit folk races that are mechanically Half-Elves and Half-Orcs. I'm looking for something that suits a sort of asian or wuxia setting.
>>
>>53643218
Urgals. Kuravians. Ryusoo (ree-OO-soh)
>>
>>53643218
Kitsune :3c
>>
Celestial Tomelock with Shillelagh and GFB still work? Now with bonus action to Fireball stuff too?
>>
>>53643158
while the cleric was being a douche, if eveyone is cool with it, could turn out to be a pretty cool game.
>>
>>53643267
>other player rolls kitsune
>I constantly hit on him and make lewd jokes
OwO
>>
File: leddit.png (50KB, 932x528px) Image search: [Google]
leddit.png
50KB, 932x528px
>>53642913
>>53642874
Even more insight into the beautiful minds of the majority of the people answering the surveys.
>>
File: IMG_0231.jpg (408KB, 1400x1967px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0231.jpg
408KB, 1400x1967px
>>53642017
This is the original image, don't have the edited version.
>>
>>53642874
a lot of people on the r/unearthedarcana subreddit seem to miss the patron exclusive invocations from what i saw.
>>
>>53643305
Yeah, I get why he did it, it's just pcs killing each other runs me the wrong way a little. He's said to me before he's a little burnt out on this campaign, mostly because the DM, a mutual friend, is a bit of an autist and his plots seem a little out there and disconnected from each other and a little Flavor of the Week. I'll admit I feel similarly, and mostly use his campaigns to test run some of my more out-there character concepts. I'll also admit I came to like this character a bit more than I originally anticipated, and would've been a little upset if they had died. I really just want to play this character with a different DM, but the concept hinges upon a lovecraftian setting with fantasy races allowed, so it's not like the character fits many settings.
>>
Have you ever had a player optimize their character in such a way that they were extremely OP in combat but they made it fun and entertaining rather than boring?

I had one dude basically built himself as the "immovable object"
He basically just stopped any enemies in their tracks, never allowed anything to get close to his squishies. Shield Master + Sentinel + Blade Mastery + HAM. He would bonus action shield shove one enemy to the ground, then go around using all of his attacks to shove everyone else down to the ground. He didn't even give a shit about opportunity attacks made against him because all those fuckers had disadvantage and he had a high AC with Heavy Armor Master to top it off. Whenever an enemy tried to get past him to get his squishies, he would hit them with an opportunity attack (with advantage, because Blade Mastery) and reduce their speed to 0 (because Sentinel).

It was pretty entertaining just imagining this heavily armored fucker running around the battlefield bowling people over, only using his sword to stop any that try to run past him. It didn't ruin the game either because I could easily get around it by just throwing larger creatures or casters etc into encounters.
>>
My character has contracted lycanthropy. Right now the party is desperately searching for a cure, but it's looking like I'm going to transform at least once before we find me one.
Should I just change my mind and decide to own it? Werewolf could be pretty fun, but my character is Neutral Good and I'm not sure if it would fit in character or not. Can a "good" character still be a werewolf, or is it kind of a scenario where you lose control of yourself to often to want to stay that way?
>>
>>53643267
Definitely not this.
>>
>>53639463
Adapt the Ad&d home brew version through 30 years of play testing.
>>
>>53639854
>ONLY Warlock spellslots (no more multiclassing)
>Bladelock is DEAD!
Oh the humanity, the UA material you can't multiclass with, is now completely impossible to multiclass with.

Also such a terrible nerf to warlocks, not being allowed to play a Warlock as a warlock2/literally anything else 18, is really putting a damper on my Warlock character.
>>
>>53643540
It's not fun for anyone else at the table when they have to travel with some furkin who's immune to weapons for no reason.
>>
>>53643502
> not just standing up
> disengage
> crawl
>>
>>53643617
That's fair. I didn't realize I would retain immunity even in human form
>>
>>53643540
The rule is clear on this. If you decide to willingly become a werewolf, your alignment change to evil.
>>
>>53643656
You can't disengage a Sentinel, they still get to opportunity attack you.
>>
>>53643656
disengage doesn't work in some cases right?
>>
>>53643676
Okay, I don't have the DMG and I couldn't find anything about it in the PHB. Thanks
>>
>>53643661
And DM can take over your character at any moment. So it isn't even fun for you.
>>
Are Voidsoul Genasi a homebrew or did I miss something in the trove? I'm really new and someone brought one to the table the other day. He had a lot of abilities that seemed pretty broken at level 1. I'm not going to sperg out, I'm mostly just really curious.
>>
>>53643715
Okay yeah that's basically what I wanted to know is if I "lose control" or not.
>>
>>53643661
You only gain the immunity in nonhumanoid form, but you can just go to hybrid form.
>>
>>53642355
Every abjuration wizard would dip warlock 2 for max arcane ward
mine already does and i want this to be sad
>>
>>53643540
>>53643617
Always wanted to try a Longtooth shifter that was from a village of recovering/decursed werewolves. Even though Shifters are kind of a mess.
>>
>>53637363
Are there even dungeon crawling rules in 5e?
Like the rules for dungeon crawling in Moldvay?
I've never seen them before, I'm pretty new to 5e.
If there are, where could I find them?
>>
>>53643723
There's only air, earth, fire, and water.
Ask him where he got it and prepare to laugh as he says dandwiki
>>
Favored Soul Sorcerer / Celestial Warlock
>>
>>53643769
Try Tales from the Yawning Portal.
>>
>>53643772
I already asked and he just said "I don't know, I just followed the guide". He's not a bad guy so I don't want to be a dick about it. He's pretty new as well. I found what he must be using http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?403545-Abyssal-genasi
since he used the disappear ability and cantrip once each. Thing is, he also used a level 1 spell specific to voidsouls I can't find anywhere, and apparently he's also a fire Genasi and has fire resistance? Man I don't know. I don't care very much about combat, it's just driving me nuts not knowing.
>>
>>53643789
/ Theurgy Wizard
>>
why would a warlock, even one who has picked pact of the blade, ever attack with his weapon instead of just using eldrich blast?
>>
>>53643829
For fun
>>
>>53643829
Because they want to pretend to be paladins
>>
>>53643829
Anti-magic field? Silence? Helm Horror?
>>
Speaking of EB, our Bard wants to take it on her next level up. Might as well kiss any support goodbye.
>>
>>53643829
That's the question nobody at WotC asked back in playtesting.
>>
>>53643864
Eh? Without Invocation, it just a firebolt with less resistance and immunity.
>>
>>53643829
Superbosses that are immune to level X spells or below. Being forced into melee where Eldritch Blasts are at disadvantage. Attacking prone where EB is ad disadvantage. Having a strong magical weapon, especially Of Speed. Weapon Feats. Needing to fight without a verbal components. Opportunity Attacks without Warcaster.
>>
>>53643979
>Superbosses that are immune to level X spells or below
Except cantrips are no longer 0-level spells, so I don't think that would matter.
>>
>>53643812
Sounds to me like he's trying to mix in 4e materials with his 5e materials: Voidsouls were introduced in 4th edition, and back then, if you took a feat, you could gain the powers of two different elements.

Off the top of my head they had to actually switch between elements being active, but still, if you wanted to burn feats, you could switch have the combined powers of earth, air, water and fire genasi.
>>
>>53644024
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/12/10/does-a-rakshasas-magic-immunity-protect-them-from-cantrips/
>>
Can someone sum up the gameplay as druid? I'm considering playing one.
Combat-wise is it basically being a Gish via wild shape and just being a cleric when out of charges?
>>
>>53644067
First it's a martial god (DPR, health) with a secondary fullcaster mode.
Then it's a fatty (Meh DPR, still good health) with a secondary fullcaster mode. It also has good concentration because free +4 con or whatever in animal mode.
>>
>>53643769
What do you mean?
You go into a dungeon, you kill stuff in it, disable or dodge traps and what have you.
Everything for that is in the DMG.
>>
>>53641075
Can anyone help me with this?
>>
>>53643299
Still works, now with bonus action healing as well.
>>
>>53641075
No. You don't want combat stuff. Pick whatever you want.
>>
>>53644148
Warcaster isn't super necessary for a Paladin. I guess you could take Feats that give you more skill or save proficiencies, but the first ones that came to mind were Great Weapon Mastery.
>>
>>53643769
Do you mean hexcrawling? There is something for that in DMG, i think. You can also buy this. http://www.dmsguild.com/product/171137/Hexcrawling-Wilderness-Exploration-and-Random-Encounters
>>
>>53644062
Ah, my bad. Good to know.
>>
>>53644137
Like for example, Moldvay has rules for movement outside of combat while dungeon crawling and rules for random encounters.
>>
>>53644067
>Combat-wise is it basically being a Gish
Not until level 18(?) when it gets animal casting. It's meatshield OR caster exclusively at any given time. You can toss crowd control or buffs before you shift though.
>>
>>53643829
Depending on how you do it they can have a much better average damage then EB.

Hexblade with PAM and all the required Bladelock invocations can be doing pretty fucking rad damage.

On anyone else it's pretty meh.
>>
>>53641075
Is 17 your charisma? Maybe Inspiring Leader if you don't have another Cha caster.
>>
Do we have a clue of what archetypes are going to be in the book?
>>
>>53644214
The board-gamey stuff?
You can find that in the DMG too, though it's not as extensive as the last two editions because this is closer to the older ones in structure.
>>
>>53644267
The subclasses in the last two UAs + Inquisitive Rogue and Horizon Walker.
>>
>>53644148
Resilient Con would be better, but it isn't even that necessary on Paladin.
>>
>>53644265
Yes it is in fact, and we don't. Thanks for the advice!
>>
>>53643299
So at level 5 a Celestial Tomelock GFB does 3d8+16 damage as long as there's two people around.

EBlock does 2d10+8 with a pushback.

Yeah, I'd say it's a good build. Probably the best way to do a melee Warlock for most of the game and having spells like Wall of Fire, Cure Wounds and Lesser Restoration are good options for you.
>>
>>53641075
Honestly I'd take +1 STR, +1 CHA for level 4. Take something for fun at level 8.
>>
>>53644267
>at least two for every class except wizard

Rogue only has two Archetypes at the moment (Inquisitive and Scout) so they are both in.
>>
>>53644400
They could always make a new one, especially because Inquisitive has a very heavy Eberron theme to it.

Rogue seems like the class easiest to design abilities for because the base is already good. All the subclasses just feel like you get something extra.
>>
>>53644400
Inquisitive and scout are both awful though
>>
>>53644341
Why not both? EB with a side of melee.
>>
>>53644450
Inquisitive is on the product page on the WotC site. It's in for sure.
>>
>>53643807
>>53644276
>>53644208
Thanks, I'll take a look.
>>
warlord WHEN
>>
>>53644460
>Wizard gets Lore Wizard
>everyone else has to fight for the bottom 2 archetypes for balance purposes
>>
>>53644530
>>
>>53644359
You suppose so? I don't know whether we'll be running much past level 10 since that's the scope of the adventure, so that fun feat might not see much use.
>>
File: warlord.jpg (137KB, 372x783px) Image search: [Google]
warlord.jpg
137KB, 372x783px
>>53644530
NOW
>>
>>53644471
True. I guess you'd take the Cloak of Flies and Grasp of Hadar invocations. Pick up Warcaster along the way as well.

Focus on dragging people to you while they take constant damage and you can be getting the GFB to hit a second target. Throw down some AoE effect like Wall of Fire. Probably be a Scourge Aasimar for fluff, stats and helpful racials. This is actually sounding like a really fun character in combat.

>>53644460
Inquisitive's really good for a dungeon or political game. Shame it's main combat ability is basically a worse version of Swashbuckler.

Scout's good. Kinda bland because there's no fluff on it, but mechanically solid and makes a good Archer for being able to get the fuck outta there.
>>
>>53644460
Inquisitive is better than the Assassin, it just needs a better game changer than a shitty excuse for True Seeing. Wis secondary gives it a strong save and a decent base for a Cleric/Druid magic initiate and an Int tertiary for Ritual Casting. I would put it just below par with the Swashbuckler.

Scout is strong, only one situational ability, and then its capstone is one of the best. It's absolutely nuts in many situations, and still very good at the very worst.
>>
>>53644550
This the avatar mystic is most likely closest you'll get to the warlord.
>>
>>53644588
>Shame it's main combat ability is basically a worse version of Swashbuckler.
Inquisitive can get free sneak attack at range, as well, whereas swash is forced into melee.
>>
>>53644588
>Shame it's main combat ability is basically a worse version of Swashbuckler.
Situationally it can be better because you can use it range, but needing to roll a skill chick every time is annoying, and a bonus action sucks if you are fighting a mob.
>>
>>53644530
Haven't you heard WotC doesn't like us having nice fun things.
>>
>>53638061
>>53637571
I'll post more when I get home from work
>>
/5eg/, help me! Instruct me on how to Bard.
>>
New thread fellas:
>>53644724
>>53644724
>>53644724
>>
>>53644707
Step 1. Try not to make the Ranger and Rogue cry
Step 2. Make them cry hard anyway.
>>
>>53644573
Yawning Portal or what?
>>
Okay I have a problem I intend to fix with a mass distribution of a duplicate magic item.

Basically my party made a shit composition, and they are struggling to deal any real amount of damage comparable to their level. I haven't had this issue before, and it is causing problems in my encounter building.

Basically, they will grind down the enemies slowly through mass amounts of control, but if they run out of resources or get a few unlucky casts (enemies saves too much, etc), they crumble very quickly. The party is:
Shadow Monk (only playing doing somewhat okay, but refuses to use weapons. Not much of a problem here at level 8 anymore.)
Bladelock (20 Dex, 16 Cha, refuses to use EB.)
Spellsinger (player who really shouldn't have picked a wizard, and hoped the CC ability made up for him being terrible at utilizing magic)
Valor Bard (strength grappler, mostly fine as well, but the utility is lost when the damage isnt there to follow up on it.

They are doing mostly fine, but even encounters that shouldnt be more than average in difficulty at worst, can quite quickly turn into a near-TPK because of how squishy they are, and how low their damage output is.

So I am crafting myself a magic item to give to everybody. The idea right now is:
>Bracers of Zephyrs Wrath
>+1 to hit, and can make 1 additional attack on any attack action.
They are aiding some spirits right now, and this would be a thematic reward. It should solve their low damage output somewhat, while being possible to throw to literally everyone in the party.

Thoughts? Basically assume that the above mentioned party is dumb as shit, so their builds are really fucking terrible.
>>
>>53638102
Sure but anything he does that requires 2 hands is at disadvantage. Climbing, picking locks, etc. That bow would get in the way of fucking everything
>>
>>53643584
You missed the part where it now does lackluster damage.
>>
File: 1420507292803-0.jpg (17KB, 255x220px) Image search: [Google]
1420507292803-0.jpg
17KB, 255x220px
>Using the Alignment chart

>Not replacing the nebulous "Good/Evil" axis with "Selfless/Selfish"
>>
>>53644888
Volo's, famalam
>>
>>53638455
1: I'm pretty sure both those EB invocations were already part of the list from the last UA.
2: Read the damn things again. They only function once per turn. You can knock 10ms off one thing, or pull one thing 10 feet toward you.
>>
>>53638261
Are you saying Hexblade was viable because of the smites? That was never true; Hexblade only worked with weapons that don't have the 2-handed property and Cursebringer was a greatsword. If anything, these changes make Hexblade better than it was before. the bonus action damage invocations were consolidated and it actually has access to the smite now.
>>
>>53645447
No i left that out.

You complained about the multiclass restrictions, which is fucking awesome. And fuck you, a Warlock shouldn't have better smites than a Paladin. Go take your drugs elsewhere.
>>
My DM doesn't follow the UA releases so I'm just not going to show him this update for my bow warlock.
Thread posts: 382
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.