[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best system for Hero Campaign?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: images (76).jpg (16KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
images (76).jpg
16KB, 225x350px
Hey /tg/. My group and I are moving on from our traditional games of D&D/Pathfinder and I want to run a light hearted Superhero campaign. I was considering Mutants and Masterminds but the thing that concerns me is that my group is mostly experienced players and I don't know if they'll like the single dice systems. Just wanted /tg/'s opinion on a possible better system or if I should just go with Mutants and Masterminds.
>>
>>53631949
M&M IS basically superhero 3.PF.

It's not bad though.

There are a bunch of other options for superheroics though. GURPS, Fate (especially recommend Atomic Robo), Savage Worlds, Risus, Wild Talents, Masks, Worlds in Peril... really, it's up to the specifics.
>>
>>53632102
No- M and M 2e is 3.PF. M and M 3e is very different and really good.
>>
>>53631949
Mutants and Masterminds is fine enough, but your group might not like the Toughness Save damage system.
There's also only cursory limits on player character ability, and people can make relatively broken stuff at every Power Level, which puts a lot of people off.
The core stuff is all open game content, and it has an SRD website by the guys who run the Pathfinder one. It always seems to have problems when I use it, though.

Fate can be good if you're comfortable with it; if your players aren't they could find themselves alienated by it, plus it takes a good bit of prep work to have function as intended. I've found that groups can botch that crucial Session 0 stuff, which can really sabotage a campaign.
Fate Accelerated is more foolproof, and in my experiences its own downsides matter much less in a superheroes campaign.
Fate, Fate Accelerated, and all the special flavors of mechanics for it that'll help you do superheroics whichever way you like, are free on fate-srd.com, with PDFs of first-party stuff on the game's website.

I haven't played Open Legend but I used it to make some characters from the aforementioned Fate Accelerated game to get a feel for the system. I was very satisfied with that, and I'm itching to actually play it as soon as I can convince my usual group to try a new system.
It's also free through their website, SRD-style.

There's also Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, a very smartly designed Cortex Plus game. It is designed with a prewritten three/four act narrative in mind, and expects fairly explicit (if entirely benign) railroading to really function as intended. I played it in more of a sandbox way and it palpably hurt the experience.
It's entirely defunct now, so there's nobody to get upset if you pirate it. The lead designer, Cam Banks, is also designing an RPG for the Sentinels of the Multiverse franchise which looks to be a spiritual sequel.
>>
>>53631949
Heroes Unlimited?

It's a Palladium game.
>>
>>53631949
>my group is mostly experienced players
>I don't know if they'll like the single dice systems

What kind of experienced player gives a fuck about the dice system? Do you mean to say "they are experienced because all they've ever played is D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder?" Just run M&M.
>>
File: 20170526_074140.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170526_074140.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>53631949
...or you can try using pic related
>>
>>53632470
Keep trying to convince yourself of that.
>>
>>53633806
I'd say Flip powers and responsibilities' roles. You want to OVERpower the problem, but keep your responsibilities UNDER control.

Otherwise, YOINK!
>>
I kind of like Supers! Revised Edition. It's d6 pool based. The main schtick is that you can use any power/ability (that makes sense) for attack or defense, but you may only use a power once in a combat round.

Someone shoots eye lasers, you can use super speed to dodge, super strength to rip up some pavement as a shield, or just roll your super toughness to laugh as it bounces off.

Character gen (players and enemies) takes some time, but it's fun.
>>
>>53631949
I'd recommend Wilt Talents, if you had to pick a system. There are few like it that allow such a wide degree of freedom, with somewhat realistic handling of stats and combat.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.