[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you guys think of the d6 system?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0402.png (36KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0402.png
36KB, 220x220px
What do you guys think of the d6 system?
>>
It's all right.

I prefer the Legend variant from the Herc/Xena d6 rpg.
>>
>>53631139
Got a link to that anon?
>>
I dislike dice pool systems. Makes me think of WEG Starwars and Shadowrun buckets o' dice.
>>
It's shit. Exploding dice is a horrible mechanic.

3d6 is perfection
>>
>>53630869
I love it. It was easy enough to teach without having to re-teach certain concepts.

I played Star Wars D6 with my sister and had a lot of fun with it- although I did end up using the Static Defense rules because the old way of rolling for defense every time led to a lot of frustration.

Plus I have a sentimental attachment. I'll never forget the game when my shy, quiet, sis gleefully committed multiple counts of vehicular homicide with a landspeeder.
>>
>>53631273
>Makes me think of WEG Starwars...
Wasn't it based on WEG's d6 systems? Like, first there were those specific systems, then a more genericized D6, then OpenD6?
>>
>>53631465
It is.
>>
>>53630869
It's at this awkward level where it's good enough to be fun to run Ghostbusters or Star Wars in, which is where it originated, but it's not so great that once the licences lapsed it was particularly worth extracting to use as a generic system.

And yet, that's exactly what people tried to do, and it never catches on no matter how much they push it.

D6 Star Wars is patrician, mind.
>>
>>53631692
I guess my question then is, what does it try to do that doesn't work?

Obviously Star Wars and Ghostbusters benefit a lot from being bespoke to those settings and tones, so is it sort of like Fate where it shifts the burden onto the group for making it work for the game you want to play?
>>
>>53631743
It's pretty good at stuff like Ghostbusters or Star Wars where sudden shifts of fortune are the order of the day and you don't want to think too hard about the nuts and bolts of how stuff works. It's awful if you want anything resembling tactical richness and complexity.

And the rules for defensive actions like dodging/parrying are a huge headache.
>>
>>53631692
You're right in terms of popularity. It doesn't have a lot of staying power in the market

I think the trick of it is that it is a game that is good for one-off's or "cinematic" style of campaigning (with less focus on detail and more focus on dramatic and decisive action).
>>
>>53630869
It's fantastic.
My to go system for modern settings, besides WEG's Star Wars and Z-Corps are both great games.
Sure it's a very light system, but it does its job as for resolution mechanics, and only fails when you need to delve through the human body for fatigue, injuries or things like that.
>>
>>53631869
>>53631894
>>53631988
It sounds like it's the sort of thing where it could shine if combat were more incidental rather than the normal resolution of everything, but at the same time there's not necessarily a lot of reason to go with D6 over other 'cinematic' systems if you're not already familiar with it.
>>
>>53632217
Pretty much that. It was a revelation when it came out because it was the mid-1980s and the idea of a cinematic system hadn't really been put out there at that point (this was the era of Rolemaster and other heavy crunch games being the cutting edge of game design), but there's been lots and lots of work done on smoother cinematic systems since.

D6 Star Wars is great in part because of the sheer mass of material that exists for it, more than for any other Star Wars RPG, so using D6 for that makes sense because it's the path of least resistance. But if you're comfy with an existing cinematic system I am not convinced D6 has much to offer.
>>
>>53632254
what would you recommend?
>>
>>53632217
It does skills decently, with a neat specialization system (quick example : choose between one dot in driving and 3 dots in driving (trucks), so you can have professions that don't suck tons of xp).

But if I wanted a system with more skill options, I would choose Albedo's Platinium Catalyst. A bit more complicated to learn but very handy once you get the hang of it.
Now I just have to find a system with good social encounters... Maybe Burning Wheel, I've heard good things about it.
>>
How can I run weeb nonsense with this system?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.