[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do YOU name things /tg/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Pensive Minotaur.jpg (303KB, 1181x863px) Image search: [Google]
Pensive Minotaur.jpg
303KB, 1181x863px
How do YOU name things /tg/?
>>
>>53628077
Pick a theme/language, use words from that theme/language.
>>
I use 20000names site to do what >>53628109 does
>>
>>53628077
Depends on what it is I name.
>>
However I damn well please, it's fantasy there are no rules or naming conventions.
>>
>>53628077
That's not a minotaur, that's just a very buff satyr.
>>
>>53628225
True. But I think the question was more "how do you come up with names?"
>>
I prefer to avoid using made up or fantasy names as much as possible. I'd much rather name places like The Apeland, The Low Kingdom, Between-The-Places and so on then actually making up names.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUMzrpU7JXQ
>I do this unironically and frequently and use these names in my games
>>
Try starting with a vowel sound, pair it with some consonants, and fill in any blanks.

Example:

1. -ow- sound
2. Consonant N, and maybe.... G.
3. Gaoyin -gow-yin-

This works well when dealing with other languages and cultures, as they tend to have sounds that get used more often than in other settings.
>>
>>53628109
This. It's a shameful veneer of culture spread on my setting to pretend things are deep, but eh it's a game of pretend.
You pretend to be an barbarian, I pretend to be more educated than I really am.
>>
I take the general idea of their culture and put some syllibles together. Some example names are Nagug Murz, Tark, Graven. Although each of the orc clans are named after their coming-of-age rituals. Saltbeard, Blackfoot, Stoneface (that last one is not what you think).
>>
File: gesture battle.jpg (470KB, 924x889px) Image search: [Google]
gesture battle.jpg
470KB, 924x889px
Abstract, utilitarian robotic, whimsical or flowery/pretentious.

I hate fake fantasy names/words, good thing I prefer sci-fi.
>>
>>53629611
>I hate fake fantasy names/words, good thing I prefer sci-fi.

If you can't get a reasonable feel for what that country is about after hearing their name, than you're doing something wrong.

Say what you will about GRRM, but stuff like "Valeria" and "Westerlands" does a good job of that.
>>
>>53628077
"There must be more to life," said Gorgnak the destroyer as he sat sullenly amidst the gore-soaked slaughter of yet another rape-raid. "Oh well, back to work," he sighed, bull phallus engorging as he rose from his seat and marched towards the humans hut, the women huddled inside screaming in panic and horror at what awaited them.
>>
>>53629644
Westerlands isnt a fake fantasy name.
>>
>>53628077
>think of a random name
>form other words from that name
>separate certain conventions to make more words
>borrow from my own lists until it starts making a bit more sense
>>
>>53629929
kek I do this too
>>
Like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWQF5JCX5cg
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.