[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Game Màster thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

GM thread. Discuss, give advice, share stories and complain.

I personally am having trouble with two things consistently, despite GMing for years. I still have trouble putting the PCs together and it comes off as heavy handed, and my players complained I don't handle some situations well.

for instance, when there is a chest with an item, and all players equally want to take the item for various reasons, but also dont want to snatch it greedily, what should I do? who takes the item?
>>
File: CZmii61.jpg (3MB, 3000x2283px) Image search: [Google]
CZmii61.jpg
3MB, 3000x2283px
>>53628003
Split the loot into groups based on likeness (All the leftover spears are one group, the gold pouch is one group, The magical sword is a group on it's own, the potions are another group are so on.)

Everyone gets d20's equal to the number of different groups of treasure. The can then split these d20's among the different groups depending on how much they want it. Flat rolls, highest gets the thingy.

e.g (Loot as above)
>Each player (A,B and C, gets 4 d20's (Spears, Gold, Sword, Potions)

>Player A is a fighter, so immediately dumps 3d20 on the sword and 1d20 on the gold.

>Player B, being a mage, stands to gain little here, so splits 2d20 on the gold, and 2d20 on the potions.

>Player C, being that asshole rogue that constantly wants everything. puts 1d20 down on all four, hoping to get lucky.

>For the Sword, Player A rolls his dice and comes up with a 10,6 and 17, while Player B comes up with a 15. Fighter takes the sword.

>For the gold, Player's A and B roll d20 and come out with a 14 and 16 respectively, the rogue takes the gold.

> For the spears, Player B is the only one with any dice on that loot so he gets it.

>For the potions, the Player B rolls 2d20, while the Player C rolls 1d20. B rolls a 5 and a 16, while C rolls a 19. The rogue takes the potions.

Then the bitching starts and you inform them that if they settled this like adults they wouldn't have this problem, but it's a fun minigame just in case.
>>
>>53628129
Spears should be Player C. Shit. But you get the drift.
>>
>>53628003
>what should I do?
Nothing.
>who takes the item?
Whoever successfully convinces the rest of the party that they should have it.
>>
>>53628003
Is that suposed to be a dong? It looks like someone's shitting through the front.
>>
>>53628003
You don't control the player characters, so it's not your problem; it's theirs.
>>
File: Devilish Pepe 2.png (102KB, 416x475px) Image search: [Google]
Devilish Pepe 2.png
102KB, 416x475px
>start adventure
>crazy things happen
>"it was just a dream, you wake up"
Have done this 2 times in a row.
Who /devilish/ here?
>>
>>53630166
It's some kind of tuber
>>
OP, at this point I'm kind of leery of running games for people who can't coordinate to create characters together. It's just a sign of immaturity as players, in my opinion, that they can't get past the awkwardness of suggesting stuff to someone else. How am I going to train them into replacing me so I can play if they can't even do that?
>>
>>53630166
From the thumbnail I thought it was a penis gargoyle on some very gothic architecture
>>
I have a very unique GMing problem that I don't think anyone else here can relate to but I'll share it anyway.

I'm incapable of physical GMing unless it meets my extremely specific criteria which is unfortunately not possible. I can't do it while sitting down or with a lot of lights in the room, preferring a totally dark room. Sensory overload or whatever but my brain shuts down when there's too much going on. In order to give my players the best experience possible I need to be pacing around the dark room constantly. I legitimately describe situations, narrate NPCs, keep plot cohesion and run games 1000x better than if I'm forced to sit at a table with lights and electronics around me.

It's as if everything going on around me just stops my brain from functioning as a game master when I'm in the traditional gaming tabletop environment, and it doesn't affect my productivity in any field other than GMing.

Is it autism?
>>
Anons, how do you make a single city work as a setting. I really want to set up a sandbox this way, but can't figure out how to make the city run deeper than the surface other than with organized crime
>>
>>53630473
Yes
>>
>>53631515
Extend the range of the city so that surrounding towns and bedroom communities feel like an extended part of it, but the neighborhoods that make up the thing as a whole are distinct. Breaking it up by geography with islands and bays and mountains and maybe a canyon separates different areas and makes them feel like their own place. Playing with age and architecture also helps.

>make the city run deeper than the surface other than with organized crime
Blow the usual seedy town drama out of proportion. Local government isn't unified and have conflicting goals, some officials are doing shady shit involving land or zoning permits, different officials and 'donors' control different offices.

One thing I was toying with was having all the different wards be under overlapping levels of control. The mob may run the docks and the red light district, but only have power over construction in like 3 other areas, 1 of which is technically outside city limits and isn't on the payroll, causing problems. Then there's corporate intrigue which has some great real world examples, and what televised megachurches do to the cities they inhabit. You can throw in some academic fuckery, with competing universities shitting on eachother or go for the classic but underutilized conflict between towns and gowns.

Most cities have an old guard of assholes that run (or think they run) the whole town in a mostly legitimate manner. Decide who they are, who or what they are connected to, and what secrets they have. Play them against the new way of doing things.
>>
>>53633162
One thing I'd been considering was having the city be in the process of being invaded and taken over by another country, Warsaw style, implanted tyrants and all. Do you think it's a good idea?
>>
>>53633274
If you have some way of dealing with the curfews and related injunctions, it basically takes everything I said splits it along much cleaner lines. Then you can play with shit like trash service ceasing because the mob isn't getting their cut and have a powerplay as everyone in the established system scrambles to get a better position. The tyrants would spend months and years unraveling the kind of bureaucracy that built up and even secret police aren't in absolute control.
>>
>players won't pursue a plothook unless an NPC asks them to, no matter how interesting they think it is
>players say they want to do a side thing, eg: check in on a random NPC that they liked from a few quests ago
>nobody brings it up in-character
>put them in a situation where they have multiple objectives to choose from, with multiple ways to complete them
>they mill around aimlessly and eventually get bored until I point them toward one of the objectives and give some hints on how to complete it
>regardless of all of this, they all say they love the game

I just don't get it. How do you deal with passive and indecisive players? It's basically a running joke in my group at this point, but it's always so much more work when I have to figure out how to shove them into things rather than just dangling a plot hook in front of their faces and letting them chase it. At this point I've started keeping a hand-holding NPC with them most of the time, otherwise no one wants to take initiative and the game grinds to a halt.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.